Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Vault > Archives > Art of Writing League Season X > AOWL Season X Archieves
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2022, 04:21 AM   #1
Adverse
low tide in serotonin bay

Battle Record: 37-28

Champed
- GWL Picture Challenge
- Guerrilla Writing League
- Black August II

Adverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant future
Default WEEK FIVE MAG: THE DREAM IS DEAD

INTRODUCTION:
I’m disappointed in all of you little manpoets! How dare you have other commitments than to your weekly writing *smacks league with a newspaper* you act like family is the most important thing in the world or something. Bunch of Vin Diesel ass mafuckas

Nah but for real, this week wasn’t our best but I can understand that around the holiday season, hopefully it was just a fluke and we’re back on schedule this week. We had some HOF names sign in with Frank and NYCSPITZ. Here’s to hoping they both show and have a great outing. To this point we’ve had no kind of disruption, this week we had 1 DQ and four no shows. But who’s keeping count? (I am...and I always will)

REVIEWS:
Though we had 3 no shows this week we managed to squeeze in a handful of cool battles.

DOMINATE (3-0) vs MASTER ROCK (2-1)
This battle was a potent clash. Dominate has been, well, dominant all season and Rock has really showed some great skill here and there. While Dom brought it (conceiving a tale of genies and love and body horror) it was a really good spin on the topic, though Rock had some good ideas and great lines, he wasn’t able to give the verse the care and attention it required and really he was just flat out our written here by an opponent on a roll. It was just not enough to match Dom.
WINNER: DOMINATE

EVICTION (2-0) vs BROKENHAL0 (2-1)
This was another one that looked like a sure thing on paper but didn’t quite live up to the hype, but for a different reason. Hal0 originally wrote 95 lines and had to cut out over 50% of his original verse to meet the line limit. Cutting that much story out is pretty much a death sentence for a writer, there’s not enough time to think on your feet or to come up with something new on a whim. Eviction took full advantage of that fact and kept his undefeated streak alive/got himself a contenders match bid against Dom this week.
WINNER: EVICTION

TIMELESS (0-3) vs CANDY (0-3)
This was a weird battle, Candy had an almost coherent story about a vampire attack on a slumber party, and Timeless had a verse that was....kinda about police brutality? Timeless has been writing dope stuff all season but of course on the week he writes his weakest verse is the week he picks up his first win. Oh Sinacog was also supposed to be in it but he got DQ’d for going under the line limit. Overall wasn’t a great match but at least one writer ended their losing streak.
WINNER: TIMELESS

POWER RANKINGS:

#1 DOMINATE (4-0)
Obvious choice, has steamrolled through every obstacle thus far without much of a problem. Probably cashes in his ticket to the first championship match in Week Six and sky’s the limit for him right now. He’s having fun out here and we’re having fun watching.

# 2 DANK (2-0)
Dank took a week off to hang out with his kids (extra points for being a dope parent) but now he’s back and in the contender match versus yours truly. Record is meaningless here, a freshly signed in Lars would still hit high on this list. Always a formidable foe in the topical scene.

#3 EVICTION (3-0)
Though Eviction’s undefeated record should have an asterisk next to it for a no show victory and for mowing down good old Sinacog, his writing has been solid throughout and he did take down reigning champ Hal0 last week. All in all he has the behemoth task of taking on Dom this week. So pray for him.

#4 BROKENHAL0 (2-2)
Hal0 intrigues me. At times he’s Candy and at other times he’s on par with some of the best. He obviously won the clunky AOWL season nine playoffs and has showed enough potential here to make the top 5, but only time will tell what happens as the season progresses. He’s an interesting competitor to say the least.

#5 MASTER ROCK (2-2)
Rounding off the list we have another writer who has shown flashes of beauty but has also looked underwhelming at times too. Rock’s biggest problem is just not giving himself enough time weekly to fully flesh out his verses. He could jump into the top 3 easily with a little refinement, we’ll see.

PREVIEWS:
In the interest of keeping a variety in the league, this week’s topics are pulled from titles of songs from my favorite band “The Wonder Years” I’ll be placing the songs that inspired the topics alongside them here, listen to them if you’d like but be as creative as you wish. Don’t feel bound to tell the stories the individual songs share, I just wanted everyone to know where the topics came from (and maybe turn you on to some good music as well)

CONTENDER MATCH: DOMINATE (4-0) vs EVICTION (3-0)
“The Devil in My Bloodstream”

Well this one was inevitably going to be the headliner this week. Two of the dopest writers this season going at each other for a chance at the first championship match next week is just a great storyline, if Richard Corey ever directs the Textcee documentary we’ve all been waiting for this could be a subplot. In all seriousness though these guys are two of my favorite writers in the league, quite a match of styles. Dom definitely is more of a technical writer and puts together well constructed verses, it’s Lars-esque with perhaps more humor to it. Eviction is more sporadic in his writing, he doesn’t always nail the storyline but he does always come with poetic language and imagery. It’ll ultimately be a close call and really depends how each individual approaches the topic but I think Dom can keep his undefeated streak alive here
PREDICTION: DOM WINS 60/40

MASTER ROCK (2-2) vs BLUE BAYOU (1-3)
“I Don’t Like Who I Was Then”

So much potential here. When Blue has showed up, he’s been dope. Week One is a great example of him not rushing, taking his time and telling his story completely fleshed out. Unfortunately he had a rushed verse in Week 3 and flat out didn’t show this week. Master Rock on the other hand usually shows up and competes but has a tendency to wait until the last minute to complete his verse and rushes. So their problems are a tad bit similar, I believe if they both show this could be a top 3 match this week, but that seems unlikely at this point. We will see but if I was a betting man
PREDICTION: MASTER ROCK WINS 55/45

BROKENHAL0 (2-2) vs OBJECTIVE (1-3)
“THE OCEAN GREW HANDS TO HOLD ME”

Both of these guys have been a bit of a skid. Hal0 has lost two straight and Objective has lost three since winning his inaugural battle against Timeless this season. Hal0 had to cut half of his verse this week due to the formidable line limit. Other than that he’s been great this season, his record definitely doesn’t reflect his skill level. Objective has been spotty at best losing a couple of barn burners after pulling the upset week one. Somebody’s bad luck will end here and they’ll start to make a turnaround at the midpoint of the season. I think that person will be Hal0
PREDICTION: BROKENHAL0 WINS 60/40

TIMELESS (1-3) vs NYCSPITZ (0-0)
“WOKE UP OLDER”

I’ve had NYC participate in two different leagues I’ve run and I’ve never seen him show, that’s kind of his whole schtick I think. I believe him to be a very good topical writer judging on the immense respect he’s garnered, so it seems his biggest enemy will be himself. Timeless on the other hand hasn’t had the best season but has written some great verses. Think he’ll completely reverse his losing ways here and creep towards a .500 record. He’s another writer who is way more talented than his record tells. Should be a good one if both show.
PREDICTION: TIMELESS WINS 52/48

FRANK (0-0) vs CANDY (0-4)
“A RAINDANCE IN TRAFFIC”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjUIANNX45I
Frank is a name you know if you have any grasp on NC history, particularly topicals. I believe he won Season 6 of the AOWL in 2016 (the same one I competed in as well) he is formidable but as with NYC, his biggest enemy is the due date. If he shows up he may make pretty easy work of Candy who has kind of been stagnant this season. He already has a verse up, I haven’t read it yet but hopefully it wasn’t too rushed. Would like to see what may happen if he slowed down and tried his hardest.
PREDICTION: FRANK WINS 80/20

DANK (2-0) vs ADVERSE (2-0) BY DOMINATE
“RAINING IN KYOTO”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwp9lMscyug

A rematch of the Black August tournament finals. This one will almost definitely be the battle of the week IMO. Dank graced us with two superb pieces in weeks one and two before signing out. He seemed a little unsure about whether he would have the time to write this week - signing back in, then back out, then back in again, but ultimately making the correct choice to make a run for the manpoet championship over spending time with his children. Jokes aside, I’m stoked he’s back. A phenomenally talented writer with decades of experience at the top of the game, he’s gonna be tough for anyone to beat. Our fearless leader Adverse is coming off a “no show KO” victory last week, posting what I thought to be his best verse ever. Will we see this momentum continue? I’ll edge this one to Dank for his greater experience and polish, but if Adverse catches him slipping even just a little bit we could easily see an upset here.
Dank 60/40

THROWBACK BATTLE OF THE WEEK:
Know I just posted the Lars/Adverse battle from the Black August finals last week but since we’re going at it in contenders this week I thought I’d post our champ match from the GWL. It went 5-3 to Lars but was a great match. Hope y’all enjoy

CLUTBUCK AKA LARS

“Fly me to the moon, let me play among the stars.” - Frank Sinatra

Could you swing on the moon? It’s theoretically possible
but if you pursued it you may be met with some obstacles:
Let’s ditch the logical things like $10 billion in start-up you’ve lost
on the premise you wanted to regardless of cost.
Before embarking upon a journey that’s out of this realm
you’ll argue with mom you’re a “Big Boy”, now that you’re twelve.
If somehow you still quell her concerns on safety for a second
you’re then faced with a deterrent in conservation of momentum.
In space you need propellant to, well, propel you through space
I’d recommend that you take LH² for its low molecular weight.
The energy saved in doing so here’s as crucial as any —
weight distribution needs plenty of thought to help move as intended.
The moon has a density of 3.34 g/cm3 so before beginning ascent
you may wish to preempt weighing less than you did when you left.
There’s this thing I expect you’ll have heard of called ‘gravitational pull’
so your rate of propulsion must be 9.81*m/s^² to obtain a result.
Let’s say for the fun of it you accomplish this step with ease
you’ve still to plot a trajectory before you conquer your destiny.
I’m not even mentioning your lack of a launching station
or how rockets excel to speeds of 4.9m/s, and you’ve no formal training.
But I’m happy ignoring danger, if it’s at your expense
so let’s pit you in orbit then since this mission’s a sure success -
The risks to exploring nebulae accelerate as you pass through
and this is before we get a swing set to stay on the damn moon!
See space is a vacuum, but not the kind your mother uses,
you’ll find it’s sucked your tool kit to beyond by the time you’ve put the screws in.
Ever tried constructing units in interplanetary spaces?
The microgravity you’re faced with means simple tasks can take you ages.
Plus carrying a play set all the way there would just waste fuel
that’s if radiation doesn’t kill you first. You’re not wearing a space suit.

ADVERSE AKA MR FATASTIC

Intergalactic itinerancy, trekking through asteroid fields
Wiping descending droplets of Jupiter from these spacecraft windshields
Pressing my cheek against the freezing glass just to get a little closer
Brushing my face against the bursting hues of the illustrious supernovas
Sometimes I shout the loudest i can, ask the stars if they hear me
The absolute silence of space teeters between peaceful and eerie
I've grown tired of the monotonous humming of this giant, flying fortress
Home to me and a few million others on a mission of infallible importance
Ask people who we are, "alien invaders!" is what they'll say
We come to prosperous places just to decimate leaving a wasteland plagued with craters in our wake
We hit the ground running, impatiently we prey
Attaching ourselves like leeches until there's nothing draining from the veins
Conniving kind of creatures, masters of infiltration and fronts
Friendly faces that'll be picking our teeth with the bones of your civilization in months
Gluttonous by nature, no one is spared in our way
Repainting lush forest greenery the browns and greys of barren decay
Carnivorous scavengers, surgically picking every piece from the corpses
Leave into orbit, find our next home, ping in the coordinates
Rinse and repeat, it's been decades of singing this chorus
I hardly think about the desolation we were causing, there was no reason before this..

But tonight I stare into the heart of this vast black universe n
It feels like a caricature of my soul all the way down to the hints of bruised blue bleeding to the surface
As I drift to sleep, I find myself floating in a shining sea of darkness
Paralyzed as my memories play by as a fleeting stream of conscious
I see it all, the plants and beasts we've eaten, the scenery we've abolished
What we've done finally sinking in, like Eve eating fruit of the tree of knowledge
Finally allowed to bow my head to my reflection, but what i see it looks demonic!
I wake up screaming - then i pause - to see groups of people speeding towards the cockpit…
What could make a pack of ravenous savages break out into unfathomable panic?
I understand once I climb through the massive traffic and see it staring back through the glass - The galaxy's last inhabitable planet

"In pushing other species to extinction, humanity is busy sawing off the limb on which it is perched." - Paul Ehrlich

That’s all I’ve got for you this week cretans. Have a great time this week and show up! With all the drop outs currently happening and all inevitable no shows coming up, I fear this is it. The beginning of the end. Is the dream dead?

Old 04-25-2022, 04:51 AM   #2
Candy
Sell Her

Battle Record: 1-3

Candy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant future

that was super dope dude.. man yall put in alot of effort for this..

i loved my section and all the little meme things i even posted the meme on twitter.. lol

it was really cool thanks
Old 04-25-2022, 05:47 AM   #3
GUDELJ

GUDELJ GUDELJ GUDELJ GUDELJ GUDELJ GUDELJ GUDELJ GUDELJ GUDELJ GUDELJ GUDELJ

Props
imna smoke this flocka, reword some shit n drop
Old 04-25-2022, 09:11 AM   #4
Aero
GOAT

Battle Record: 14-17

Champed
- Site Diss Competition
- Tag Tournament III
- Lyric Olympics
- Tag Tournament: "Omicron Variant"

Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero

Dope mag.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:50 AM   #5
Eviction
Detained

Battle Record: 16-11

Eviction Eviction Eviction Eviction Eviction Eviction Eviction Eviction Eviction Eviction Eviction

Rip Jim lahey

Also I have no no show wins all kos

I had to cut out that many lines to because I was going to make him pay by going 200, I was able to keep the beginning and end in there without editing it out.

Last edited by Eviction; 04-25-2022 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:55 PM   #6
NYCSPITZ
SYRACUSE

Battle Record: 31-37

Champed
- Write Night II
- Alias Topical Tournament

NYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant future

Dope mad thanks brotha
Old 04-25-2022, 06:54 PM   #7
Dominate
Tread Lightly.

Battle Record: 26-9

Champed
- Netcees Battle League
- Battle Arena
- Tag Team Tournament III

Dominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant future

Dope mag again, thanks Ad. Hilarious memes as always. Enjoyed that throwback battle. Dope verses from both.

Quote:
I’ve had NYC participate in two different leagues I’ve run and I’ve never seen him show, that’s kind of his whole schtick I think.
@NYCSPITZ you better show him what’s up
Old 04-26-2022, 04:23 AM   #8
Aero
GOAT

Battle Record: 14-17

Champed
- Site Diss Competition
- Tag Tournament III
- Lyric Olympics

Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominate View Post

@NYCSPITZ you better show
Corrected for errors
Old 04-26-2022, 08:35 AM   #9
Dominate
Tread Lightly.

Battle Record: 26-9

Champed
- Netcees Battle League
- Battle Arena
- Tag Team Tournament III

Dominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero View Post
Corrected for errors
Fair.

How many times you gonna ignore me telling you to sign in though?
Old 04-26-2022, 03:18 PM   #10
Universe
Everything's Connected

Battle Record: 19-8

Champed
- Guerrilla Writing League(2x)
- GWL Picture challenge(2x)
- Art of Writing League

Universe has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant future

I just got two words for ya...

Old 04-26-2022, 06:33 PM   #11
NYCSPITZ
SYRACUSE

Champed
- Write Night II

NYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero View Post
Corrected for errors
Suck me
Old 04-26-2022, 06:43 PM   #12
NYCSPITZ
SYRACUSE

Champed
- Write Night II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominate View Post
Dope mag again, thanks Ad. Hilarious memes as always. Enjoyed that throwback battle. Dope verses from both.

@NYCSPITZ you better show him what’s up
I may post tonight. I fleshed the Skeleton out on my phone throughout the day and tomorrow I may have have to Mack on multiple young (21-24y/o) dimes who need NYC’s banana. I still look 20’s (I will say I am 28) which is right in their wheelhouse and sets me up to self publish sleazy hunter s Thompson novels on Amazon in the near future. Will not explain further.

@Aero I’m drinking, eating cheese puffs, just got a like on hinge from a 7 and also ran a 5:27 mile today please get on my level
Old 04-26-2022, 07:00 PM   #13
Frank

Champed
- NWL Season 2
- Art of Writing League (5x)
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- AOWL Season 6
- AOWL Season 10

Frank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant future

Last edited by Frank; 04-26-2022 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:16 PM   #14
Frank

Champed
- NWL Season 2
- AOWL Season 6
- AOWL Season 10

Frank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant future

Last edited by Frank; 04-26-2022 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:30 PM   #15
Frank

Champed
- NWL Season 2
- AOWL Season 6
- AOWL Season 10

Last edited by Frank; 04-26-2022 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-29-2022, 05:56 PM   #16
Frank

Champed
- NWL Season 2
- AOWL Season 6
- AOWL Season 10

@Candy
http://www.netcees.org/showthread.php?t=72721
Old 04-29-2022, 08:16 PM   #17
Candy
Sell Her

Battle Record: 1-3

Candy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant future

@Frank yeh thats the verse i dropped it was from this reference cause i was working nyc for like 6 years.. we got to make a book, a journal about ten pages of poems/lyrics and i started a league called:

waking life:
its a fox based movie
here it is -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD0Ri6mkNyw