Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Forum > Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
Figgly Wiggly
Bam

Figgly Wiggly has a brilliant futureFiggly Wiggly has a brilliant futureFiggly Wiggly has a brilliant futureFiggly Wiggly has a brilliant futureFiggly Wiggly has a brilliant futureFiggly Wiggly has a brilliant futureFiggly Wiggly has a brilliant futureFiggly Wiggly has a brilliant futureFiggly Wiggly has a brilliant futureFiggly Wiggly has a brilliant futureFiggly Wiggly has a brilliant future
Default the "good reads for reading fuckers" thread

Cosmic Serpent: DNA and the origins of knowledge by Jeremy Narby

anyone ever read this? An anthropological account of the Quirishari community of the Peruvian amazon, but really it's much more than that. Inspired by his experience with the hallucinogenic drug ayahuasca in the amazon, this nigga Narby asserts that a human mind can communicate in defocalized consciousness with the global network of DNA, and that this is the process by which the Ashaninca (people of the Quirishari community) attain their ethnopharmaceutical and botany knowledge.
(he touches down more on the concept and importance of defocalized consciousness, which is not only limited to experimentation with hallucinogens. Additionally, his research brings him to understanding the methodology of other aboriginal and indigenous societies since antiquity, in attaining their culturally signigicant knowledge, so no, we do not only get this shielded view of the Ashaninca's culture)

HIS THESIS IS NOT BACKED UP SOLELY ON HIPPY INTERPRETATION OF THE SYMBOLISM OF HALLUCINOGENIC TRANCES

Instead, he finds peculiar connections between certain mythological symbols, molecular biology, other anthropological accounts of the use of hallucinogens, linguistic constructs, sociology, and botany.

Even if you are tempted to call bullshit upon taking in this radical hypothesis and its many implications, this book is worth reading at least for the picture of social insolence it paints of our western world, in terms of accepting other cultural insights. Narby depicts western rationalism's presence in modern science as having a negative affect on its progressiveness i.e. refraining from researching the culturally taboo for fear of being discredited or shun from the community.

NARBY DOES NOT BASH SCIENCE (biology and anthropology specifically) YOU FUCKIN DICK HEAD (sorry) HE ACKNOWLEDGES ITS ADVANCEMENTS AND IMPORTANCE, HE IS MORE CONCERNED WITH THE SOCIAL ISSUES THAT HINDER ITS GROWTH AND BREADTH OF UNDERSTANDING.

sorry for paragraphs, im writing a paper on this book write now and I thought id just share it with yall. Also just wanted to see other book recommendations, preferably non-fiction, but fiction would be just fine.
Also, im obviously not expecting you to write a big overview of the book like I accidentally did (adderall got me) but a few lines would be kooooooo.

or dont reply at all :l
Figgly Wiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
timeless
past tense

Battle Record: 22-39

timeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant future

sounds dope.

just read Fire by Sebastian Junger
now im onto Crossroads by Philip Caputo
timeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
namix
been that, done there.

Battle Record: 2-1

Accomplishments
- OM HOF

namix has a brilliant futurenamix has a brilliant futurenamix has a brilliant futurenamix has a brilliant futurenamix has a brilliant futurenamix has a brilliant futurenamix has a brilliant futurenamix has a brilliant futurenamix has a brilliant futurenamix has a brilliant futurenamix has a brilliant future

Absolutely a book that I would appreciate.

In a world where we are born, and adorn, and grown as individuals --- we start focusing on our puzzle piece and lose sight of how we fit into the puzzle as a whole.

we give credence to our experiences, prioritize our own eyes, give rise to our "i", and lose our ability to empathize.

to see the puzzle you one msut move beyond the boundaries of their piece in it.

it's why, the general 'technique' is so similar across so many languages, world views and times... because it's a simple roadmap but a long journey.... you need to overcome your ego.... let go of who you are and allow your piece of the puzzle to be "complete" with the puzzle itself.

we all have moments, at varying levels, of "getting it" -- some know what it is, some don't.... a moment of intuition, synchronicity, coincidence... and why so many have "that moment" when something significant happens (sometimes dramatic), or on the flip side, are in a state of peace....

in peace you can see beyond your piece and through the eyes of the puzzle -- after all, the piece was nonetheless created in the image of the greater whole. holy wholly.

the providence of pun... we are all connected, cells of a working body that think they are the body and that their cells are not bodies...

so word up brother - sounds like a great read, and I love your perspective on it so far. solid point of view. :)
Old 12-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
NYCSPITZ
SYRACUSE

Battle Record: 31-37

Champed
- Write Night II
- Alias Topical Tournament

NYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant future

dawg that looks ill tbh
NYCSPITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
Masaii

I just finished reading the alchemist :)
Old 12-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
Figgly Wiggly
Bam

Figgly Wiggly has a brilliant futureFiggly Wiggly has a brilliant futureFiggly Wiggly has a brilliant futureFiggly Wiggly has a brilliant futureFiggly Wiggly has a brilliant futureFiggly Wiggly has a brilliant futureFiggly Wiggly has a brilliant futureFiggly Wiggly has a brilliant futureFiggly Wiggly has a brilliant futureFiggly Wiggly has a brilliant futureFiggly Wiggly has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by namix View Post
Absolutely a book that I would appreciate.

In a world where we are born, and adorn, and grown as individuals --- we start focusing on our puzzle piece and lose sight of how we fit into the puzzle as a whole.

we give credence to our experiences, prioritize our own eyes, give rise to our "i", and lose our ability to empathize.

to see the puzzle you one msut move beyond the boundaries of their piece in it.

it's why, the general 'technique' is so similar across so many languages, world views and times... because it's a simple roadmap but a long journey.... you need to overcome your ego.... let go of who you are and allow your piece of the puzzle to be "complete" with the puzzle itself.

we all have moments, at varying levels, of "getting it" -- some know what it is, some don't.... a moment of intuition, synchronicity, coincidence... and why so many have "that moment" when something significant happens (sometimes dramatic), or on the flip side, are in a state of peace....

in peace you can see beyond your piece and through the eyes of the puzzle -- after all, the piece was nonetheless created in the image of the greater whole. holy wholly.

the providence of pun... we are all connected, cells of a working body that think they are the body and that their cells are not bodies...

so word up brother - sounds like a great read, and I love your perspective on it so far. solid point of view. :)
fuck yeah. You should seriously consider checking it out. There's some insane correlations between mythology and contemporary science that the author highlights.

An equally impressive aspect of these correlations is the fact that the author was only led to them by his own intuition, and then later reaffirmed by scientific research. This makes me think of this Terrence Mckenna quote: “Half the time you think you're thinking you’re actually listening." The implication here is obvious since you touched on it already, I just really wanted to share that quote lol.

@NYCSPITZ check it out bro, you'd definitely appreciate it. The book is fairly short, but incredibly dense with substance. Like, there was some chapters where every paragraph was like a mindfuck, and I just had to put the book down and think. So in that way, it took about 4 days to read when it shouldve taken one or two.

@King Masa II my world literature teacher has been recommending that book to me for a while. Any good?

@Mordycai how was it? waz it about mane
Old 12-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Battle Record: 2-5

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

PancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond repute

i don't understand this topic
And the ditch in the back road stop
Could you find me?
PancakeBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #8
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Battle Record: 40-19

Champed
- AOWL Season 3
- Art of Writing League (2x)

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

Cosmic Serpent is my name when I host Captain Universe.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
Figgly Wiggly
Bam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PancakeBrah View Post
i don't understand this topic
I doubt it
Old 12-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

PancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond repute

i miss horse.

i prefer fiction. pretty stories and whatnot.
Could you find me?
Old 12-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #11
Masaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrawl View Post
fuck yeah. You should seriously consider checking it out. There's some insane correlations between mythology and contemporary science that the author highlights.

An equally impressive aspect of these correlations is the fact that the author was only led to them by his own intuition, and then later reaffirmed by scientific research. This makes me think of this Terrence Mckenna quote: “Half the time you think you're thinking you’re actually listening." The implication here is obvious since you touched on it already, I just really wanted to share that quote lol.

@NYCSPITZ check it out bro, you'd definitely appreciate it. The book is fairly short, but incredibly dense with substance. Like, there was some chapters where every paragraph was like a mindfuck, and I just had to put the book down and think. So in that way, it took about 4 days to read when it shouldve taken one or two.

@King Masa II my world literature teacher has been recommending that book to me for a while. Any good?

@Mordycai how was it? waz it about mane
Very good, timeless classic, great reviews it will be a book that will stand the test of time. Its very easy to read plus short, i finished it in 3 sittings. It is about following your destiny, what happens to those that dont, the trials and tribulations of those who choose to follow it and the universal language of love throughout mother nature and how all are one.

Highly reccomend.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #12
Figgly Wiggly
Bam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certain View Post
Cosmic Serpent is my name when I host Captain Universe.
I thought of you when I made this thread <3

I know you got some books buddy. hit me. bit... hit...hi- hi- hit, meee bi- bi- bi-.....

dhkahkghdfksafjahgkjaf

systems... failing..... trying... too..... hard......

BACKUP GENERATORS ENGAGE.

...... ahem....

hit me bitch.... sorry mom :(
Old 12-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
Wise Wiggles
nok Su kow

Battle Record: 1-1

Wise Wiggles has a brilliant futureWise Wiggles has a brilliant futureWise Wiggles has a brilliant futureWise Wiggles has a brilliant futureWise Wiggles has a brilliant futureWise Wiggles has a brilliant futureWise Wiggles has a brilliant futureWise Wiggles has a brilliant futureWise Wiggles has a brilliant futureWise Wiggles has a brilliant futureWise Wiggles has a brilliant future

I heard Fight Club was a decent read.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #14
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Champed
- AOWL Season 3

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

I don't read nonfiction books.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #15
Plot

Battle Record: 26-32

Plot has a brilliant futurePlot has a brilliant futurePlot has a brilliant futurePlot has a brilliant futurePlot has a brilliant futurePlot has a brilliant futurePlot has a brilliant futurePlot has a brilliant futurePlot has a brilliant futurePlot has a brilliant futurePlot has a brilliant future

The Alchemist certainly is a great book, anyone who hasn't read it is certainly missing out, I would place it in the category called 'New Age' right next to a book called 'The Celestine Prophecy' which I thought was also excellent.

On another note, if this thread is for suggesting reads, my suggestion is a much bigger book, but one that is such an excellent read, a true story about an Australian heroin addict that breaks out of jail and escapes to India on a flase passport, then ascends through the tiers of organised crime. Its called Shantaram.
Plot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #16
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

i miss horse.

yeah but nonfiction is stupid and you used certainly too many times too close together which is fucked.

i read online articles sometimes.
Could you find me?
Old 12-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #17
Masaii

Is it me or ar e-books hard to read? I dont find them engaging at all it is like reading walls of text.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #18
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

fuck reading ebooks.

books are books.

you lose the fucking romance reading electronically. it's supposed to be the last bastion of the fucking reality. IT'S IN YOUR HANDS. IT'S WRITTEN. READ IT IN A HAMMOCK WHILE THE DEW SETTLES DURING A LUKEWARM SUNRISE.
Could you find me?
Old 12-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #19
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Champed
- AOWL Season 3

I like reading outside in the summer.

I should buy a hammock.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #20
Masaii

^true

Like how a handwritten letter is worth more than a text message.

Fuck technology.

Ironically im posting off my phone :s