User Tag List

Old 11-01-2019, 06:15 AM   #1
Ouch

Battle Record: 1-5

Accomplishments
- Lost to Kill Spree

Champed
- Wall Talking

Ouch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant future
Default Health Care Issue...

I read this mic booth thread a second ago and it got me pumped up and wanted some thoughts from some people.

As far as the health care issue goes, that I barely skimmed across @uh-oh and @boof talking about... I've never had a doctor in my life, ever. When I was a real real little kid maybe like 8-10 I can remember having one kind of. After that no.

My dad ended up being the sole care provider for myself and my siblings at a young age. He was a Vietnam combat veteran, drafted not volunteer. He'll be 70 next month, still alive... hates the VA, hates the government etc. My dad used his 'service' for one thing though, and that was to go to college, he went to college on the GI bill. He graduated from a D1 university and was a public school teacher for 30 years.

I can remember being younger, and actually not giving a fuck at the time.. like early teens siblings were roughly the same age... and my dad busted out pay stubs, and busted out documentation for the HMO or whatever its called that was offered. He busted out the calculator and wrote it down put it all in kids terms simplified, and just said I'm sorry but you see it in black and white this is why you can't have health care.

And so unless me and my sibliings broke bones and went to the ER we didn't see doctors. Other than paying $15 in the gym to get cleared for a physical to play sports high school that was it.

And I'm sorry, but based on those circumstances... us being in the wealthiest country in the world... and of course LOVING our veterans... and not only a vet but a combat vet, and LOVING our prized school teachers even more we price families like mine be priced out of even having the most basic shitty medical care? Please tell me how that is right? Thats a fact that's how I grew up.
Ouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:50 AM   #2
Chill Phil
World's Heaviest Ghost

Chill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant future

Your dad hates the VA because the VA is a piece of shit place for healthcare. Maybe a few employees care, but a majority of them are either jaded, complacent, apathetic, or all three.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:21 AM   #3
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Battle Record: 56-21

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

Sharp has disabled reputation

>loving our veterans
>loving our teachers

Won't even joke here though because most of my interactions with parents are positive, with the 'bad' being more apathetic

Problem is despite the love we stay voting against their interests anyway. Health care for teachers is very state by state, in some cases County by county today.
Based on what I've heard from family/friends though the VA is a whole separate mess

So one big shrug
Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:16 AM   #4
Ouch

Accomplishments
- Lost to Kill Spree

Champed
- Wall Talking

Ouch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant future

@Sharp

my dad hated parent teacher conferences... I knew it was that time of year when he started drinking more... you could kind of tell

he was a great teacher though, from all that I've ever heard, but we lived in a poor area and he taught in a poor school district, so you see a lot of things... deal with a lot of things... a fourth or more of his students were ESL so that made some things harder.

But yeah he knew when parent teacher conferences happen no one was going to them to give him thanks... it was like how dare you accuse maria of stealing tony's watch out of his coat.. shes a good girl you piece of shit... etc

He taught for like 30 years give or take... but at the end he would call me up and just be like I hate kids... or more like he hated what it was he said he couldn't teach... they all made him teach for a test so that the school wouldn't cut funds if they didn't get a certain over all score, so he couldn't teach anything he wanted to.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:01 PM   #5
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

I'm saying all that as a teacher. I'm pretty lucky though cause in my urban poor and suburban middle income jobs I've generally felt appreciated. Sure, asshole parents are a thing but for every one I've dealt with there's 2 good ones, a great one, and another who just doesn't wanna acknowledge the kid is struggling/fucking up

But again, I've been mostly lucky

I know all about those tests. My last school scored so low on them they fired the principal and made all of the staff reapply for the jobs they already had... I bounced
Old 11-01-2019, 01:31 PM   #6
Blue Bayou
Ukrainian Howlitzers

Battle Record: 41-24

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- NBL Season 3
- Alias Tournament II
- Fight Night XLVIII
- Fight Night XXV
- Fight Night XV
- Fight Night (3x)
- Netcees Battle League (4x)
- NBL Tag Team Season 3
- Lyric Olympics
- 1-2 Punch League (3x)
- Battle Arena League (2x)
- Key Grand Prix 2018 1/2
- BA Tag
- NPL Roast
- Netcees Pic League

Blue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant future

I am the greatest
-kungfugrip
Blue Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:04 PM   #7
Ouch

Accomplishments
- Lost to Kill Spree

Champed
- Wall Talking

@Sharp

yeah it was mad fucked up on where he was at, it got so bad he said during the tests I dunno if its a nation wide thing or not... but in NY 10 years ago or so... I'm pretty sure it was the federal government giving the funding and not the state but I could be wrong.. its a public school

but he said these other teachers would look at their tests, and the random answers... and drop a green M&M on their desk if the answer was right, and if it was wrong they would drop a red one.... green means go and red means no nah mean... they'd cheat like that... and it was all fucked up
Old 11-01-2019, 04:50 PM   #8
boof

boof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant future

yeah it's an awful flaw in the system that we base funding on state test scores
it's also awful that we fund schools with property taxes
this is how we end up with such drastic schooling inequality > opportunity inequality > income inequality

i get it tho @Ouch only time i've been to a doctor since my high school physical was when they charged me $1300 to put neosporin and a gauze pad on a cut above my eye
boof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:42 PM   #9
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

I mean, school funding is a whole other thing and just saying 'test scores = funding' is a gross oversimplification, but the Bush and later Obama iterations of the ESEA are basically why that's going on

And it sucks
Old 11-01-2019, 05:44 PM   #10
Ouch

Accomplishments
- Lost to Kill Spree

Champed
- Wall Talking

Yeah I broke my collarbone in a fight when I was ... 12-13... I actually won the fight if you discount the fact of the broken collarbone.. was snapped in half.. but my dad came home from work, took me to the ER. And I understand they can't do much for it.

So they gave me some asprin and then they gave me this bra I had to wear for months, that they had on hand... it was just something that held ya shoulders back so when the bone fused in place it would be set right or whatever.

And my dad is a very loving caring dude, but he asked the billing ladies like I want a read out on exactly cent for cent what you're charging for what and why. I don't remember what the bra was but the 2 asprins they gave me was like $46. And he did like the good person he is paid for it, in full with his own money. I don't even remember what the bra thing was.

But there en lies the problem with health care billing... we've got to the point... and that was like... 99' or 00' to where you're gonna charge $20 for a .02 cent asprin... something is wrong
Old 11-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #11
Ouch

Accomplishments
- Lost to Kill Spree

Champed
- Wall Talking

a fucking asprin is a fraction of a penny... and you're gonna charge like 20$ for it?... well yeah who gives a fuck the insurance company or if you're a loser, the government is going to pick up the bill... how about the people who don't have insurance... the people who aren't on welfare and the government pays $20 for a .0002 cent asprin?

and even if you do have health care or if you are on welfare how is it right for the powers that be to charge $20 for a .0002 cent asprin?.... its not shits all fucked up
Old 11-01-2019, 05:53 PM   #12
Ouch

Accomplishments
- Lost to Kill Spree

Champed
- Wall Talking

I'm not a genius, but I know right from right and wrong from wrong... and thats really fucked up.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:08 PM   #13
boof

boof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant future

wait til you hear about the cost of insulin

literally killing people
Old 11-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #14
uh-oh
DA GOD

Battle Record: 1-0

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

and you reached the problem. there are solutions. one is give the government absurd power and tax us all ridiculously to bring down the price of that aspirin, and the other is removing the guarantee that they get that money in the first place, so they have to charge what people can actually pay.

that was our whole discussion btw.

if i can buy something for 5 dollars and sell it for 100 why would i ever charge 10.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:15 PM   #15
boof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp View Post
I mean, school funding is a whole other thing and just saying 'test scores = funding' is a gross oversimplification, but the Bush and later Obama iterations of the ESEA are basically why that's going on

And it sucks
i mean i'm sure they have all sorts of tables and graphs and quotas for different subjects and overall improvement and i'm sure it also depends on grad rates, dropout rates, amount of students that need special education etc.

but,

i've heard enough stories from teachers about being in seriously stressful conundrums of wanting to teach their class certain things or using different creative approaches but only having enough time to teach the test answers knowing their funding largely depends on it.

i worked as a rep for a clark county, nevada teachers union for a short period
Old 11-01-2019, 06:31 PM   #16
Ouch

Accomplishments
- Lost to Kill Spree

Champed
- Wall Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh-oh View Post
and you reached the problem. there are solutions. one is give the government absurd power and tax us all ridiculously to bring down the price of that aspirin, and the other is removing the guarantee that they get that money in the first place, so they have to charge what people can actually pay.

that was our whole discussion btw.

if i can buy something for 5 dollars and sell it for 100 why would i ever charge 10.
I'm not talking about practical solutions homie... i'm just on a VERY VERY personal level showing the obvious flaws. I don't systematically how to in REAL LIFE how to change policies, what policies to change etc... i'm a plebian, and sounds like you're worse than a prole with what you're talking.

you're a prole and you don't even know it probably... which is worse than being a prole and actually realizing it like what I am
Old 11-01-2019, 06:38 PM   #17
Witty
Lime Life

Battle Record: 30-41

Accomplishments
- Only Slightly Retarded

Champed
- Lyric Olympics
- Summer Classic

Witty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant future

Yeah uh-oh you fucking prole.

Witty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:39 PM   #18
Ouch

Accomplishments
- Lost to Kill Spree

Champed
- Wall Talking

I know that its fucked up that america could snatch my dad out of the bronx at 20 years old, fly him to vietnam (a place he knows nothing about and we should have never went) without persmission... force a gun in his hand to and make him shoot at people, and get shot at. And after all that mind fuck stuff, go to college become a public school teacher get paid garbage and not be able to even pay for his kids health care.

I know thats fucked up.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:40 PM   #19
uh-oh
DA GOD

Battle Record: 1-0

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

yea im in the same boat. i don't go to doctors, never had health care that was worth a shit

i remember barry telling hillary the individual mandate was the equivalent to forcing a homeless man to buy a house. then a couple years later he made the individual mandate law. so i couldn't afford health insurance, and since i couldn't afford it, i was fined for not having it.

most of the costs for people like us being so high is we're paying for the overhead, the whole building, all the employees etc.

its relatively cheap to see a doc if you pay out of pocket. but an ER visit is ridiculous for everyone
Old 11-01-2019, 07:26 PM   #20
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

Quote:
Originally Posted by boof View Post
i mean i'm sure they have all sorts of tables and graphs and quotas for different subjects and overall improvement and i'm sure it also depends on grad rates, dropout rates, amount of students that need special education etc.

but,

i've heard enough stories from teachers about being in seriously stressful conundrums of wanting to teach their class certain things or using different creative approaches but only having enough time to teach the test answers knowing their funding largely depends on it.

i worked as a rep for a clark county, nevada teachers union for a short period
As a current teacher and teacher union rep in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, I hear the same complaints, but I recognize how much is state to state, school to school, county to county. Percentage of funding coming from property tax, state tax, and federal tax varies across states

Funding is mostly tied to AYP, but it's not like 'score = money we give you'. Even the federal government isn't that retarded with education. There's also the growing push toward 'school choice' and 'right to work' that are a bigger strain on teachers in my region