Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Vault > Archives > The Netcees archive > AOWL Season 2 Archive

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Battle Record: 40-19

Champed
- AOWL Season 3
- Art of Writing League (2x)

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Semifinals: No. 2 Vividlyvague vs. No. 6 Frank - FRANK WINS 6-1

WELCOME TO ROUND 3

Verses due: Sunday, Dec. 29, 11:59 p.m. PT

Voting deadline: Friday, Jan. 3, 11:59 p.m. PT

Line limits: 48 lines maximum unless agreed upon before either opponent posts a verse.

Requirement: Vote on the other semifinal. Not voting will result in a three-vote deduction.

Votes must be well-explained.

Topic

Take to the cleaners

Good luck, @Vividlyvague and @Frank.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
Frank

Champed
- NWL Season 2
- Art of Writing League (5x)
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- AOWL Season 6
- AOWL Season 10

Frank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant future

Get busy living or get busy dying

Heroes get remembered

Legends never die
Old 12-26-2013, 03:15 AM   #3
e11even
V.V

Battle Record: 31-20

e11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant future

Truuuuuuuuuue.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:31 AM   #4
e11even
V.V

Battle Record: 31-20

e11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant future
Default ...with a heavy heart.

1/1/14

Dear Journal,

Lust; the crust on the cusp of this affair.
Her bust... to touch was a must to declair.
Every portion's proportion, each morsel of flair
Supported the endorsement of this temptress so fair.
She aborted the coarseness of care,
For it was more for reward of the fare; this visit.
A dare to dismiss it, but this priss was presented permissive.
She invited me to her soul, and where I'd be remiss, I couldn't resist it.

Every patient caress, thrusting cut, careful intermission...
She was mine.
All of her impassive visage. All of my wishes committed intentions.
However extensive, my infatuation was truth's incentive.
I needed to awaken tofacts of basic instinct and distinction of what this is.

She was under arrest; under duress, wrapped in marital coils.
A stress, this veritable mess, for the excess to have maxed her toil.
He ended it.
This millionaire with mistresses, bastards aplenty; an animal's spoils.
Commending him coyly, I recieved of his payment in all hopes she'd be as disloyal,
But only in a manner of speaking... in this lair eternal.

She could be here with me! Her and all her blemishing oils,
Meek and blanching palette, features of mediterranean royals,
Bludgeoned sternum, rashed knees and elbows, and foot burns made boils.
He 'loved' her to death, but her inaminate allure brought me to life.
In each examining breath, I grew more adamant to know of the whys.

She was cleaned and divided; an inspection by police'd get no findings.
Slated for shredding machines when the light hit, but my attachment called for a cc to this night's end.
He was pleased when invited; showed with an extreme sense of excitement,
On the pretense of 'two men: heroes, cleansing slease from our environments.'
Him, her. Me, him.
Therefore, the need to be obscene worked in spite of him...

"So why'd she need to die? That's not a divorce's requirement..."
He cheesed, "She was the nicest bitch, but I have wilder flings on other continents!"
The nerve of this creten. Smiling as if these childish things were accomplishments...
The sirloin screamed to be eaten. Beseeching him yielded results beyond astonishing.

Venom is the black mamba's marvel.

His graying corpse was stripped of its garment, boots,
Thrown in the chipper, left minced, canned for a pig's farm food,
And she watched it all too. Not as a mannequin, but my baby doll who
Had chosen me to watch Ryan Seacrest's ball fall in New
York. True love was dead, but chivalry was an art renewed...

Journal- This has been my confession to you,

...with a heavy heart,

'The Taxonomist' Bartholomew
Old 12-31-2013, 02:51 AM   #5
Frank

Champed
- NWL Season 2
- Art of Writing League (5x)
- AOWL Season 6
- AOWL Season 10

Frank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant future
Default Dusty

Hi - I’m Frank.
I am a Police Officer for a city known nationwide for its crime rate.
We have a lot of gangs and drugs in my state;
At one point we were #2 in homicides per capita -
I cleaned up the streets he says, wiping the slate.
I have a police K-9 named Thor. He’s a German Shepard - Belgian Malinois,
He was certified in drugs and general duty
He retired at 3 years old because he was shot, protecting Detective Rizzuti…
Thor wouldn't allow drugs in my house. He would smell it.
He would tell on you. Rudely.
The reason I say this is so you understand that I knew about drugs -
I had taught in schools about drugs -
My wife asks all our kids at least once a week if they used any drugs
My wife Kathy is a Nurse. Dusty was the oldest at 14.
Dusty loved baseball and played for his school’s team; He batted fourth,
He didn't always play much since it was his first year but I didn't care
My wife would take his uniform, wash it, hang it to clothes pins and watch it drift in the air.
-He also loved playing games on his computer; obsessive, euphoric,
When World of Warcraft was coming out in a beta version he signed up like 200 times to be a beta tester for it.
If you were picked, you got a number and could go to the site and download it.
Well, Dusty signed up so many times he received 2 numbers and sold it.
“For 375.00 dollars” – he said - gloating with pride
You couldn’t wipe his smile off with Castile soap if you tried.

I liked building computers. Occasionally I started building a new one.
I also was working on some of my older computers; sitting in ruins
They were full of dust. Finger tips; Air borne - Gripping pollution
So, on one of my trips to the computer store, I bought a 3 pack of DUST OFF -
Refrigerant coolant
Dust Off is a can of difluoroethane, to deter, they’ve added bitterant to it.
It’s used to removes particles from electronic equipment - swifter than any swifter could do it.
Propellant - disillusion
It gives you a high, for about 10 seconds. It makes you dizzy, you get stupid
A few weeks later when I went to use them, they were all used, and
I talked to my kids and my 2 sons both said they had used them
On their computers -
I yelled at them. And went back to the computer store -
Livid!
I’m fuming!
They didn’t have the 3 pack so I bought a single jumbo can, oblivious and aloof, and I went home and I hid it in the room.
That night I left for work at 10 PM; And I didn’t tell Dusty goodnight.
At 11 PM my wife went down and kissed Dusty goodnight
At 5:30 am the next morning Kathy went downstairs to wake up dusty - he’d been missing some school.
He was sitting upright in bed with his legs crossed and his head leaning over pale white, dribbling drool…
She called to him a few times to get up. He didn't move.

“It can’t hurt you Dusty! It’s cool! It’s like whipp-its! It’s like glue!”

A boy who lives down the street said a month before it killed him too.
She went in and shook his arm. He fell over; She went ballistic
A condition called Sudden Sniffing Death Syndrome
When you inhale it, it fills your lungs and keeps the good air, with oxygen, out.
Dead - with the straw from the Dust Off can coming out of his mouth

Rest in peace
Old 01-02-2014, 12:22 AM   #6
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Battle Record: 40-19

Champed
- AOWL Season 3
- Art of Writing League (2x)

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

Vividlyvague: This verse was interesting. It seemed sort of patchwork, almost like three different writers wrote sections of it and glued it together. I understood the Edgar Allan Poe feel you were trying to go for here, but I think you failed to properly set the mood. The rhyming was as weak as any I have seen from you. I hope you didn't rush to write this, as Frank requesting an extension was probably the most predictable development of the week.

Quote:
1/1/14

Dear Journal,

There were a lot of poetic devices here. The "Dear Journal," entry point immediate disengaged me from the verse a little, though, as it's so trite to write to your diary or journal. That felt very unnecessary, as did the date. We don't write a whole lot of modernist stories here, and there was nothing about this that felt particuarly 2014 or New Year's until the very end. You want to start a verse with something important, not these entry points that really don't contribute to the story. As far as the writing, well, it seemed as though you were trying to channel Adonis. And there was some reward. The writing here sounded pretty, but it ultimately didn't go anywhere.

Quote:
Every patient caress, thrusting cut, careful intermission...
She was mine.
All of her impassive visage. All of my wishes committed intentions.
However extensive, my infatuation was truth's incentive.
I needed to awaken tofacts of basic instinct and distinction of what this is.
I liked this part to the point where I wanted it to be the introduction. It's here that you make obvious without making obvious your twist that isn't surprising but it somewhat effective. The writing is good, but the rhyming is unusually weak for you.

Quote:
She was under arrest; under duress, wrapped in marital coils.
A stress, this veritable mess, for the excess to have maxed her toil.
He ended it.
This millionaire with mistresses, bastards aplenty; an animal's spoils.
Commending him coyly, I recieved of his payment in all hopes she'd be as disloyal,
But only in a manner of speaking... in this lair eternal.
I think it was a stylistic misstep for you to try to hide the identities and life states of your characters. For one, I generally dislike that tack. But I also think you have a hard enough time telling a story without a twist, and this storytelling structure inherently is confusing. Here is a good example. Parts of it work without the twist but not when it's factored in. Parts of it only work with the twist. It's a segment intentionally losing the reader, though, and that's never a good idea.

Quote:
Here (despite the "inaminate" mistake) is where I picked up on the general (if not specific) purpose of the verse on my first read. This was a good stanza, though. It was grounded by clear images and solid word choice.

Quote:
She was cleaned and divided; an inspection by police'd get no findings.
Slated for shredding machines when the light hit, but my attachment called for a cc to this night's end.
Him, her. Me, him.
Therefore, the need to be obscene worked in spite of him...
The rhymes aren't perfect here, but it was almost awkward that you shifted into focusing on them for this stanza. You'd basically abandoned the pretense of caring about rhyming for most of the verse, then return to it here. I think you did a good job of moving the story along with this stanza, and it was one of the better ones when the rhyming is factored in. I'm not sure what "my attachment called for a cc to this night's end" means. CC could either mean carbon copy or cubic centimeter, but I didn't quite connect either term to the purpose. I'm guessing you were describing the man is a carbon copy.

Quote:
"So why'd she need to die? That's not a divorce's requirement..."
He cheesed, "She was the nicest bitch, but I have wilder flings on other continents!"
The nerve of this creten. Smiling as if these childish things were accomplishments...
The sirloin screamed to be eaten. Beseeching him yielded results beyond astonishing.
Is "beseech" the verb you're looking for? That last line really threw me off in general. It made it seem like your narrator was going to cannibalize him. Otherwise, you did a decent job giving motive for the murder.

Quote:
Venom is the black mamba's marvel.

His graying corpse was stripped of its garment, boots,
Thrown in the chipper, left minced, canned for a pig's farm food,
And she watched it all too. Not as a mannequin, but my baby doll who
Had chosen me to watch Ryan Seacrest's ball fall in New
York. True love was dead, but chivalry was an art renewed...

Journal- This has been my confession to you,

...with a heavy heart,

'The Taxonomist' Bartholomew
What's up with the black mamba line? Are you suggesting this taxonomist used a black mamba to kill the husband? That's a terrible method of murder. Even Kill Bill makes that obvious. I didn't much care for the ending because it all seemed to center on a twist that had been made pretty obvious by that point. The Ryan Seacrest thing seemed forced, and again, this story never felt like it was taking place in 2014 or on Jan. 1 outside of the time stamp and this one line, so giving it a time reference like that seemed trivial, particularly given the placement. I also wasn't crazy about ending the story with a rhyme off a name that didn't seem to bear any relevance beyond it being the character's name. Had you flipped the rhyme to be off "taxonomist" and ended it with "Bartholomew, the taxonomist," that would have felt a little more natural.

As a whole, this verse was pretty standard fare, though the weak rhyming is difficult to excuse. It definitely did not rise to the levels of your best work. It was a decent take on the topic with some creativity shown, but some of that was undermined by the ambiguous nature of the first half of the verse. You had this good concept but buried it until the end and refused to let us see it until a second read. I think this story could have been told in a different format, perhaps leading with the life of a taxonomist stuffing departed animals for their owners and weird shit like that, followed by the unusual request of a wealthy man who wants his wife by his side, followed by the falling in love between the taxonimist and the dead woman, whom he then perceives to have been murdered by her husband, followed by the murder of the husband and finally, perhaps, by a twist that the husband didn't murder her at all. But that's just how I would have taken this concept, and frankly, I probably wouldn't have come up with this concept in the first place. This topic was difficult, and I think you did a good job with it for the most part, but I know you can do better.

Frank: You ran the counterattack, possibly because you read Vividlyvague's verse or maybe not. Either way, your verse was a good example of extremely straightforward narration and storytelling.

Quote:
Hi - I’m Frank.
I am a Police Officer for a city known nationwide for its crime rate.
We have a lot of gangs and drugs in my state;
At one point we were #2 in homicides per capita -
I cleaned up the streets he says, wiping the slate.
I have a police K-9 named Thor. He’s a German Shepard - Belgian Malinois,
He was certified in drugs and general duty
He retired at 3 years old because he was shot, protecting Detective Rizzuti…
Thor wouldn't allow drugs in my house. He would smell it.
He would tell on you. Rudely.
I think the decision to make the narrator an ex-cop was a fundamental key to your verse. That allowed for the procedural and removed storytelling. I know some cops. They're straight and cold when they tell a story. They're more likely to get angry than sad about pretty much anything. The stuff about Thor fit that narrative mode, too, because in my work I occasionally have to read police reports, and giving those kinds of details about things that don't matter is straight out of the police handbook.

Quote:
The reason I say this is so you understand that I knew about drugs -
I had taught in schools about drugs -
My wife asks all our kids at least once a week if they used any drugs
My wife Kathy is a Nurse. Dusty was the oldest at 14.
OK, let's talk about the name "Dusty." That was a bit over the top. I did like the way you rhymed off drugs three times. Again, it felt true to the narrator and emphasized a point. It's interesting how the way you've set up this story, we already know Dusty is going to die because of drug use. I favor the straightforward approach. Nothing was hidden here.

Quote:
Dusty loved baseball and played for his school’s team; He batted fourth,
He didn't always play much since it was his first year but I didn't care
My wife would take his uniform, wash it, hang it to clothes pins and watch it drift in the air.
Batting cleanup as a freshman, but not playing consistently? This was the worst section of your verse. Playing baseball didn't fit with Dusty's personality (or what we got of it), and this didn't make sense. And I'm not sure what the washing of the uniform had to do with anything, aside from maybe your only slight misdirection as to the relation to the topic.

Quote:
When World of Warcraft was coming out in a beta version he signed up like 200 times to be a beta tester for it.
This, on the other hand, was probably my favorite part of the verse. You could almost hear the dad's grin as he retold this story with a handful of the specific details he remembered. It sounded like the type of thing where Dusty had explained this in these specific words dozens of times, so his father would know what words to use even if he didn't really know what a beta tester was. Plus, I liked the return to cleaners with the Castille soap line, which could have come across as tacky.

Quote:
This was a strange turn for the cop dad. It would have made more sense for Dusty to be the one who builds computers and asks his dad to buy this stuff for him, only to have his little brother "use it all" or something like that.

Quote:
Refrigerant coolant
Dust Off is a can of difluoroethane, to deter, they’ve added bitterant to it.
It’s used to removes particles from electronic equipment - swifter than any swifter could do it.
Propellant - disillusion
It gives you a high, for about 10 seconds. It makes you dizzy, you get stupid
Nothing subtle at all here. Again, it fit the narrator. There was some good rhyming in parts of this, probably the smoothest section of the verse.

Quote:
A few weeks later when I went to use them, they were all used, and
I talked to my kids and my 2 sons both said they had used them
On their computers -
I yelled at them. And went back to the computer store -
Livid!
I’m fuming!
I'm not sure how well the "Livid! I'm fuming!" part works here. The fuming wordplay makes sense, and it makes sense that he would get mad in the moment. But a big part of this narration is that the cop is cutting his emotions out of the retelling, just as he would on a police report. So to include that felt a little out of touch, though perhaps with a little bit of a shifted word choice, you could have had both.

Quote:
They didn’t have the 3 pack so I bought a single jumbo can, oblivious and aloof, and I went home and I hid it in the room.
That night I left for work at 10 PM; And I didn’t tell Dusty goodnight.
At 11 PM my wife went down and kissed Dusty goodnight
At 5:30 am the next morning Kathy went downstairs to wake up dusty - he’d been missing some school.
He was sitting upright in bed with his legs crossed and his head leaning over pale white, dribbling drool…
She called to him a few times to get up. He didn't move.
The timestamps here are a really, really, really, really nice touch. The accounting for whereabouts is such an important part of a police report. That really hit home. Sometimes it seems like your loose way with rhymes is easy and free, but you really take a lot of time building your characters and narration in ways most others don't.

Quote:
“It can’t hurt you Dusty! It’s cool! It’s like whipp-its! It’s like glue!”

A boy who lives down the street said a month before it killed him too.
She went in and shook his arm. He fell over; She went ballistic
A condition called Sudden Sniffing Death Syndrome
When you inhale it, it fills your lungs and keeps the good air, with oxygen, out.
Dead - with the straw from the Dust Off can coming out of his mouth

Rest in peace
I've always found "Sudden Sniffing Death Syndrome" to be one of the clunkiest turns of phrase in science, but that's the terminology and assuredly what our police narrator would use. You painted the final image with great economy here, making sure that we could see it and letting that alone affect us emotionally, if it was going to. The point of this story was never the emotions. The point was to explain what happened. That's how police operate. They don't care about motives. They let lawyers worry about that. They want to know what happened.

I really liked this story and the entire take on the topic. I don't think I ever would have connected huffing to this topic, but it makes a lot of sense, and the handful of subtle nods to the topic were appreciated, too. But the narrative pacing was the most impressive part. You simply told the story the way it happened, the way our ex-cop narrator would have told it. I think that's part of what won you this battle.

See, Frank set up his story from the get-go to be an ex-cop giving the procedural details about how his oldest son died. And he stuck with that. Vividlyvague went with the trite journal entry, which can be saved but isn't easy. But why would a journal entry be so evasive about the facts? Why would a journal entry have a twist at the end? That's part of the problem with the format. That's not the only reason Frank won. He shone brighter here in most ways. But it's the part that stands out to me.

Vote: Frank
Old 01-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
Mike Wrecka
WOW

Battle Record: 29-25

Champed
- Writing Challenge League I

Mike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant future

wow sick battle fellas. loved both reads here.

vividlyvague - you dropped what is imo the best verse ive read from you in this league. the flow was savage. the end rhyme choices blew me away in some sections.

that line just works so well. especially with the topic. the cadence the syllables the world selection. that shit stood out. and other lines like it throughout the verse. if im gonna play devils advocate i will say that the whole verse did in fact come off as very vague. i was a tad lost at times. but the eloquent way you wrote pulled me back in. this will be hard to beat for sure

Frank - this was unlike anything i have ever read from you. you abondoned your normal style which is risky in a semis of a league. you got rid of all your swag, emotion and humor you usually write with and took a much more journalistic approach. you also didnt go crazy with the flow. when i first started readng it i was like he made a mistake but the story was so fucking engaging. i loved it. i really did. this verse was genius man. the way it was laid out. im gonna just say it was my favorite verse ive read from anyone all season. you went full story mode with a stylistic approach of how a police officer would recall events, and you had a very good flow. it wasnt as good as your normal stuff but still advanced. word choices for end rhymes were awesome. so ya i cant say enough about this. i was fully invested in all characters. took the topic and flipped it.

overall - we have vividly very suprisingly winning in the flow department. but franks story was too complete a telling to be overcome by mechanics alone. not too mention that franks mechanics were good themselves. vivid did edge him out there but frank took every other category. i got frankis

vote - Frank
Old 01-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #8
Just Write

Battle Record: 9-12

Just Write has a brilliant futureJust Write has a brilliant futureJust Write has a brilliant futureJust Write has a brilliant futureJust Write has a brilliant futureJust Write has a brilliant futureJust Write has a brilliant futureJust Write has a brilliant futureJust Write has a brilliant futureJust Write has a brilliant futureJust Write has a brilliant future

first off im gunna laugh if vivid turns out to be frank and that bastard did it two seasons in a row.. just sayin

this was such a buttery opening, loved the way you started this. besides maybe the fourth couplet this was my favorite

this was also just silkysmooth and not an easy thing to do while trying to keep the content you were going with. the first line especially was just awesome

the rest of your piece almost seemed rushed, like you were out of time and didn't know exactly how to end it. idk, it just didnt carry the same cadence as the rest of it to me. and the black mamba part made me think basketball. just didnt sit right with the rest of this beautiful piece to me.

frank,

i actually didnt like your beginning, it felt just lackadaisical in places but really picked up starting here, loved this part

Refrigerant coolant
lol, so i'm feeding this as i read it but i can only imagine what happens, next.. and remind me to post this picture of this woman addicted to dust off, trippy ass fucking shit

:( damn,thats fucked up.. you didn't have to kill lil' homie dog. put that kid in the hospital or sumn.. fuuuck!

this was definitely a high caliber battle. vivid came with a very poetic read that just spoke that language of a seasoned writer while frank came more direct and tugged on that emotional value. i really enjoyed both pieces but i do think frank is the favorite of this one. absolutely great battle fellas. vote=Frank
Old 01-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #9
dead man
living

Battle Record: 33-18

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- AOWL Season 1
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 4
- Write Week V
- GWL Season 1

dead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant future

VV-

it was very hard for me to get into this. i did not jibe with the rhythm of your verse and your literary devices seemed pretty amateurish at best if I'm being honest. its surprising you made it this far in the competition, although since i am still assuming you're a frank alias it may be due to the fact that you had to write 2 verses in one week. idk. but disregarding that notion the "twist" at the end held little to no water given the tone of your entire verse. shit man, idk, this was just sort of a weak submission to me. certainly not semi-finals material in a competition of this magnitude. and I'm sorry to sound like such a prick because i usually try to positively reinforce writers. but this is a stage in the game where you should be writing at your peak and this certainly wasn't that.

frank -

it did not take much to beat VV's submission and you performed pretty well here. i enjoyed the descriptions although it felt a little dry sometimes, and the font change was sort of a gimmicky, i thought you wrote an effectively gut wrenching verse about how easy it is to miss a child's self destruction right under your nose. the fact it was the father purchasing the cleaner was even tougher. i saw an intervention where this bitch was huffing that shit all day and i thought it was the weirdest thing i had ever seen. this was a few years ago but jesus christ, i guess people are still doing this.

not your best work from a technical standpoint but your storyline alone was enough to seal this.

congrats man

v/ frank.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #10
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Battle Record: 36-34

Champed
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

Adonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant future

"Honestly, to me, neither verse was much good. Dear diary followed by heavy rhyme scheme was simply a bad play. What I mea is the sentences are how anyone would sensibly write in a diary iMo. Frank, you wrote in a pure writer tense, I didn't much enjoy. It was different I can say the least, solid attempt, just not appeasing to my taste at all aside from the fact that it was a different approach. I want to be constructive, but I will be honest and leave it at I didn't enjoy them

Vote frank for having a slightly more intriguing verse IMO

TUPAC SHAKUR
Old 01-03-2014, 04:00 AM   #11
Fig
Om

Battle Record: 8-16

Fig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant future

VV: First thought, the journal entry business was kinda cliche for my taste. Anyway this is a fairly creative verse, conceptually, but ultimately, the execution is where it fell off. Sure the writing was fine but the rhyming could've been more polished. There was no crispness if that makes any sense. It kinda dragged on. Not to say this was a bad verse, but more should be expected at this level.

Frank: a very grim and gripping story you painted here. Your structuring and syllable counting sure do give your storytelling a bit of an advantage. Anyway, I have a problem with part of the plot. You give us this officer character, and all of a sudden niggas building computers. Wha? I just personally didn't enjoy that part. Oh I can't believe you named that kid Dusty lmao just saying. Anyways, I really enjoyed this. It was a ride. It was fun.

V/FRANK
Old 01-03-2014, 10:42 PM   #12
Objective
( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

Battle Record: 17-32

Objective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant future

Vividlyleague:

You're starting off far from soft, it's kinda dope right there,
would enjoy it more if the intro somehow rhymed with affair.
The diary-route's nothing new although it's fire my dude,
it gets you in the mood with imaginary lines to be viewed.
The presence is there to be consumed, but the essence is clear;
another love story but there's a cool plot and sentences here.
I guess the menace of fear is what locked her up,
but I shouldn't wonder exactly what it was buttercup.
Fourth paragraph handle bars, it's vocabular spectacular,
a brief insight to Vulgar when he writes? A bit vernacular,
anything that doesn't reek of amateur, you get the ropes,
it's simply dope, at this point your storytelling seem to cope.
Speaking of storytelling, the story is quite compelling,
but it's also rebelling against the flow you're obviously selling.
However; I'm struggling to take a deep dive into your sweet mind,
it seems abit complex like the art of being street wise.
It's quite cool but a thumb rule should be to make it easy too,
You see; I was stuck with a few questions after I read it through.
And I did read it too, the second time I truly got it, it's on topic, from an artist to artist;
I enjoyed the closure, but to focus more on being coherent would be the smartest.

Frank:

Thanks for starting off by introducing me to your name,
simply reading it at the top of the page is kinda lame.
Not sure what I think of you being an officer dickhead,
good thing this is fiction, or I'd rather you'd be dead.
Just like Vividlyleague you write it as if it's a letter,
not just that it's slightly less clever you aint really doing it better.
But you're being more coherent, so that's giving you points,
you talk about drugs, but was it coke, heroin or laced joints?
K-9's are specified in substances, they don't specify in all,
so I'd like to know more about Thor and what drugs he recalls.
Truth be told I didn't really think it added much of an explosion,
you talk about a dog and that's how you know drugs? What about emotion?
Here it comes; Family against drugs, I guess they don't like tragedy,
speaking of tragedies; ''My wife'' two lines in a row? Don't get mad at me...
That's wack at your calibre, trust me, but let's focus on Dusty;
great characterization, but stretched lines? Don't tell me you're rusty...
Straight forward lines is cool, but you gotta make them count,
if ''you were picked''-line was a beat it'd be boredom with a sound.
No-one could sell a beta version for that many dollars, it's true kid,
instead of saying something smart you're coming off as stupid.

Second paragraph is pretty nice cuz it doesn't look like a draft,
the sentences shows that you know how to handle this craft.
But as it goes on my questions starts to form right at the core,
I mean, this certainly isn't the Frank I know from before,
Did you get bored and just went with the first idea you got?
No-one just starts sniffing cuz some kid said it was hot.
I'd lie if I said it was dope, cuz honestly; I think that it's not,
the story got potential, but it's awkward with this kinda plot.
I need answers to most of your story although I read it with ease,
but the shit with the K-9 seemed just as vague as you being police...

Vote: I didn't mean to talk shit about what you guys wrote,
but to me it's clear which one of the two came off as dope.
Frank had something in mind that I wasn't exactly feeling,
Vividly keeps revealing he's improving and basically stealing
my vote, I know if Frank was in the groove to win,
there's not an ounce of doubt that he'd get it then.

To make it blatantly clear to everyone here;
VividlyLeague's get my first vote of the year.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV8ozGcGJ6o

Last edited by Objective; 01-03-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Closed Thread