Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Vault > Archives > The Netcees archive > The Lime Green Poetry Association > Archive

User Tag List

Old 10-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
Vulgar
Razor-thin derision

Battle Record: 40-25

Accomplishments
- OM HOF

Champed
- Fight Night LIV
- Gimmick Battle League (2x)
- Write Week II
- Art of Writing League
- Storytelling And Topical Invitational Tournament
- STI
- Haiku Writer Challenge
- GWL Picture Challenge(2x)

Vulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant future
Default WEEK 17 MAGAZINE

Sporting the Robes of the Conquered

Intro

What? He sold his soul, life publishing
-Hell Razah

Welcome to the 17th edition of the LGPA magazine! Actually, this is the third magazine, lol. So far, it's been a relatively smooth season, seeing the rise of new faces and the continued excellence of established bishops. I'm particularly thrilled at the open reception towards more variety of forms of poetry to try out on here. After haiku week (which was a booming success), I decided to take a long break from that. This week we will be digging right back into it, starting with "Ghazal" poetry. Familiarize yourself with the sand dunes, friends. They will be your home under the desert sun.

Statistics from the Besieged

Number of matches that went to votes: 63
Number of poems: 138
Number of no shows: 16
Number of votes cast: 252

Don't Mind the Leviathan Levee: The Best Poems of the LGPA Thus Far

"The Weary Blues" by @Split Eight

Split dropped this gem in week 1.

Quote:
It featured aromatic sensory language and slick wording.
& i wish there were more words for the world to give
when there's a thousand worlds inflected in the
words you skip. ink to blowout
or wellsprings capped, untwist that aroma
tethered to your tongue as the Shiraz-leaked mirage
burns at the tip,
I can bite or I can howl-
the blues, you never sing

"Revolutionary War" by @Zen

Zen wrote eloquently with balanced, clear writing.

Quote:
Maybe dreams are dreams,
because reality’s worse.
With each click of the clock
you realize life is a curse;
a vessel to carry you
to your pine in the dirt.
It takes a bullet to the chest
to digest what you’re worth.
Blood pools cool,
and you sidestep what was earned;
respect in death, only.

The wise’ll never learn.

"Destruction" by @fraze

During haiku week, fraze dropped this one which conjured galactic imagery. Nice and simple.

Quote:
eternal stalemate
shattered by supernova
silence cloaks cosmos

"Clowns" by @Sn00p

German-import battler turned poet wrote a short yet sweet rhyming poem that spoke of an embattled clown's personal woes and declarations. Sn00p can hang.

Quote:
o brother please believe me now
i vowed eternal praise
how can we say we're down and out
with glory on the way

"Untitled" by @2triple0

In week 5, 2triple0 announced to the league that his unique style was going to offer left-field minutae that we'd be able to treat ourselves with. These lines were blunt yet colorful which foreshadowed his blunt departure from the league.

Quote:
The drugs are relating to the thought of a scatter brain.
Indigo Saturn pays homage to the north stars paint.
The lifestyle was laid out and mostly meaningless.

"Hats Off!" by @MMLP

MMLP hit it off with his catchy piece, and a memorable stanza was streaked across the board:

Quote:
playing in circles and forever the joke
with days of rehearsals and setting the show
then enter a coat as music would sound
and next thing i know im introduced to a crowd

"Dizzy" by @Destroyer

Destroyer introduced himself to the league with an impactful slam style piece targeting an abusive father. It showcased his rhyming skills as well as his ability to sling a phrase. He had more standout poems during this season, but this one was his best, in my eyes.

Quote:
this blows. so I blow.
scraped my loose cash into used brass.
so I could turn my screams in the dark into Ds & C sharps.

"Cabin in the Woods" by @Rakontur

This verse was written in an exciting way, the content fresh and unpredictable.

Quote:
Suddenly, seed de-fueled the hunger to hunt
Mind control+alt+shifted to backs slumbered and hunched

"Poet Tree" by @Lars

This British bombardier clashed heads with Frank and emerged victorious with this clever take on a picture of a tree.

Quote:
This formidably-formed foundation wasn't ground-breaking, but it strengthened my hold.
Without raising my head above ground to check my surrounds
and testing the boundaries,
I'd never of grown.

"Trading Arms" by @Innovator

Inno focused on the Vietnam War here and free-flowed his thoughts on soldiers and how they were ultimately affected.

Quote:
to chase death and not want it, to loathe life and then cherish it.
they pleaded guilty to peace. but the guns kept judging.

"The Poacher" by @Frank

Dip your toes into this safari epic where Frank does his one-rhyme-scheme fits all thing. It was a respectable showing.

Quote:
As the Crocodile
cleverly swims to the waters edge:
sever, and twists
the gazelle from the river bed
with a spin

"Abra Kadabra" by @YDK

I really liked this one. It was an honest, revealing write from one of the LGPA's proud fathers.

Quote:
Blood is disguised with mirrors and smoke
Childish revelries, wishfulness; hope

"Rough Diamonds" by @Innovator

An intriguing writer's voice was born here and I immediately began to think of the diamond mines, its workers, man's obsession with precious stones.

Quote:
Rocks in the rough, paying those who seek ruin
Jewels for the lush, rust for the rest of us

"The Witch" by @Godcomplex

Godcomplex wrote as if the narrator was a witch, and the result was a burst of undeniable, Salem-friendly flavor, with a touch of the cosmos.

Quote:
They're afraid….that I’ll incite a hedonistic holocaust
The life’s blood of Alucard, ruler of pleasure’s boulevard.
Just because I believe something deeper in my heart
Something along the lines of,
Earth being a dust particle formed in the nuclear fusion of stars.

"Car Crash" by @Ullr

Ullr scrolled this heated take on the effects of a harmful car accident, hurling pistons, flying passengers, broken glass and all.

Quote:
Torque and fuel. Spilling fumes.
The engines roar. the thrill consumes
of apex turns and bursts of speed
through sharp chicanes, the serpentine.

"5:13 A.M." by @Split Eight

Split destroyed me with this prose-style poem which captivated readers in week 8.

Quote:
I remember the trace of her collarbone
as she bubbled it into a clouded thought.

El Lars "Stigmartyr"

The martyr himself wrote stigmartyr about a man who is resurrected as a completely new entity, leaving his former self in the dust.

Quote:
I'm guilty of a homicide.
The man I used to be is dead.

Interview - Q&A With Stray Pirates

What are your thoughts on the poetry league? Be real.

[Innovator] Poetry league is surprisingly dope. I don't say that because i thought peeps on NC couldn't write poetry. But because of the nature of NC lol. I knew the writing would translate because the talent is here. For the first season i say so far its been a success. Great talent like rakontur, sral, split and new comers like destroyer, which ive enjoyed his poetry tbh. Just a great first season all around. No complaints here.

[YDK] Honestly I've been waiting for poetry to get to netcees for years lol I had/have a few poetic pieces in om from a while back now and never really got much love so now that there's an area more focused on it I think it's great. There could always be more competition of course.

[Rakontur] I enjoy this league because it is steady. From the due dates to the votes, this league has run on a scale unwavering in flow or structure. The strange thing is I have not personally seen anyone ask for a mag, this is awesome. Just write. Just vote. You have essentially created a self sustaining league aside from match ups and topics. I know people complained about selecting there own topics early on, but we are PR and this shit is more fun. Winning when someone is at there best is a great feeling.

Have you noticed any trends in the style of poetry on here? How do you feel like your poetry is received in comparison to how it has been in the past, or elsewhere?

[Innovator] I've noticed in the LGPA that grammar is a bit laid back. Like peeps really get down to the essence of the writing and vote on that. Pretty dope considering this a new medium of writing on NC. Very cool to see peeps voting correctly. Tbh im shocked people have received my poetry on here like they have. Usually peeps on other sites worry about grammar and don't even bother to look at what's being said. If u kin understand dis. Does it really matter how its presented? Lol it's a bit of stretch but i hope i get my point across.

[YDK] The biggest trend I've noticed is the whole idea of using rhymes everywhere. This is poetry you're not restricted by such a simple concept yet everybody forces rhymes in pieces that may otherwise be brilliant because you can capture the essence so much more when you're not focusing on rhyming words. So far I've tried to keep at least some simple rhymes in my pieces solely because I fear it won't be taken as well if I don't. I can drop a non-rhyming piece on other sites an be received with appreciation and enjoyment but so far it seems people haven't grasped that wholly yet.

What would you like to see more of in the LGPA?

[Innovator] I wanna see more detailed topics tbh, poetry has so many formats to use and it would dope dope dope to see the likes of u and sral drop some alliteration or a limerick lol. So far though topics are on point. I guess more challenging topics would be my answer mr halfshaven.

[YDK] Supporters competitors and love!

[Rakontur] As far as what I'd like to see more of? Well, nothing to be honest. I really do feel like this league has been a full blown success. Keep doing you brother. And I actually liked the Haiku week, so if there is another structure challenge week that would be fun too.

Power Rankings - Fuck Alexander the Great

5. Spoken

Spoken may be a perpetual underdog, but man can this guy design a quilt! With more feedback and gradual experimentation, this guy will be a heavyweight.

4. Rakontur

Grisled veteran and creative warden of the LGPA. He's got a lot going for him so far, but it seems he's taken a step back from full dedication.

3. Innovator

Peachy Bowser himself, the magic man. His emotional tales have provoked the feels of many of our warrior hearts. All praise Inno.

2. Ullr

Ullr is an advanced placement textee. His poetry has been coming together for him this whole season. I expect him to bring fire.

1. Frank

A solid repertoire and a fierce drive to submit nothing but topical verses in a poetry league pits Frank at the top of the heap here. Not just for his antics, but for his knack for encore.

Week 17 Predictions - Garrisons, Armadas, and Arrakheen

Week 17 is Ghazal week, which is "originally an Arabic verse form dealing with loss and romantic love."

Vulgar vs. Spoken
I expect this to be a 50/50 exchange. Spoken is growing in power and he may kamehameha me into oblivion this week.

Frank vs. Ullr
Frank seems hype to be able to try out different forms of poetry. Ullr is going to have to be at his very best here to best the charging bull. I've got Frank taking this by 4-1 TKO.

Godcomplex vs. Rakontur
Solid match up. Godcomplex cuts it no matter the medium. Rakontur can also splice it up experimentally. I've got God coming with a little more thoroughness this week. He wins 2-1.

Systemic Infection vs. Innovator
I must say I'm not familiar with Systemic's work, and Innovator is a consistent writer. I think he gets the nod.

Conclusion - The Proof is in the Wax Museum

Play offs are almost here. This season has been a great success so far. Looking back, there were some fireworks displayed in this quiet corner of Netcees. Writers are elevating and learning; I just wish the voting could be better. We all need feedback and nourishment to grow big and strong. Thanks to all for participating & I hope you enjoyed this little slice of Luciferian pot pie. Good day. @Witty @Objective @Hush @Razah @Strikta @dead man @quaker oats @Bags @Dancake @NYCSPITZ

Last edited by Vulgar; 10-19-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Vulgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:14 PM   #2
Frank

Champed
- NWL Season 2
- Art of Writing League (5x)
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- AOWL Season 6
- AOWL Season 10

Frank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant future

Nicework
Old 10-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #3
sral
Shrewd as evearthed

Battle Record: 28-3

Champed
- Gimmick Battle League
- The Winter Topical
- Topical Martyrs
- Lyric Olympics
- Art of Writing League
- Guerrilla Writing League (2x)
- Black August II

sral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond repute

Good shit!
sral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:35 PM   #4
UnbornBuddha

Battle Record: 23-10

Champed
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 5

UnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant future

Nice magazine. That leviathan picture captivated me.
UnbornBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:00 PM   #5
Inno
Ad mini tator

Battle Record: 26-54

Champed
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Inno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond repute

Loved this. Good shit V
Inno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:45 AM   #6
Woke

Battle Record: 6-4

Woke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant future

Approved
Woke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:46 AM   #7
Woke

Battle Record: 6-4

Woke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant future

Also, your verse last week should have been in the best of the best section

That's the only one of yours I can recall
Woke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:45 AM   #8
puravida
sloth kong

Battle Record: 2-5

puravida has a brilliant futurepuravida has a brilliant futurepuravida has a brilliant futurepuravida has a brilliant futurepuravida has a brilliant futurepuravida has a brilliant futurepuravida has a brilliant futurepuravida has a brilliant futurepuravida has a brilliant futurepuravida has a brilliant futurepuravida has a brilliant future

cool stuff Vul
Old 10-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #9
Vulgar
Razor-thin derision

Battle Record: 40-25

Accomplishments
- OM HOF

Champed
- Fight Night LIV
- Gimmick Battle League (2x)
- Write Week II
- Art of Writing League
- Storytelling And Topical Invitational Tournament
- STI
- Haiku Writer Challenge
- GWL Picture Challenge(2x)

Vulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraL View Post
Good shit!
This week is an example of why I don't think magazines motivate anyone in this league. Check it out.
Vulgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:39 PM   #10
Ullr
Norse God

Battle Record: 5-6

Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulgar View Post
This week is an example of why I don't think magazines motivate anyone in this league. Check it out.
I think they are great. I think the Magazine really ups the ante on the league and makes it so each week we've got a spotlight on our matches - we've got eyes on us giving honest opinions and providing useful insight. I think the mag is terrific, I like the prior week battle reviews too, that was the only thing I felt was missing from this one, other than that wonderful stuff.