Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Vault > Archives > The Netcees archive > The Lime Green Poetry Association > Archive

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2015, 07:36 PM   #1
Vulgar
Razor-thin derision

Battle Record: 40-25

Accomplishments
- OM HOF

Champed
- Fight Night LIV
- Gimmick Battle League (2x)
- Write Week II
- Art of Writing League
- Storytelling And Topical Invitational Tournament
- STI
- Haiku Writer Challenge
- GWL Picture Challenge(2x)

Vulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant future
Default The LGPA Magazine - 1st Edition (presented by Dr Dog & Innovator)

Lime Green Poetry Association
Week 1

[Introduction]

Hello & welcome. I didn't expect a poetry league on Netcees to have such warm reception, so far at least. We can all get together and write a good poem now. This wasn't possible before, unless you were the odd one out in the open mic forum. This is an outlet where you can compete with and learn from each other without a bruised ego, without regrets for trying something new, challenging and provocative; without having to steer clear of the far left for the sake of a quick victory. It's less about winning and losing and more about crafting a poetry collection for yourself. Building on what you've learned from other avenues of hip hop, writing, and literature. I think what's going to make this league interesting is the characters we have. A story's entertainment value hinges on its characters most of the time, and rightly. We've got Innovator at the helm providing topics and laughs, myself helping organize the league and tweaking things if need be, and Dr Dog giving expert gynecological advice, a hearty supply of LOLZ, and assisting with magazines and paraphernalia distribution. And we have a strong line-up of writers so far. Chill, have fun with it, and let's jump into it.

Intro Vid from Innovator

[Reviews]

Innovator vs. Destroyer

This matchup saw topicalhead Innovator grizzled battler Destroyer in a clash of wits, the topic being a young boy with a trumpet. Destroyer went a story-route, spinning a tale of a boy who found an escape from the presence of his abusive father in playing an instrument, who ironically came to be very proud of his son. The verse showed how we are truly a product of our environment, and how that fact is inescapable and sometimes a great burden.

Innovator wrote about a performer's experience playing to a crowd and their intertwined relationship through the performance, music, and audience's response.

I think that, while some voters cited style and grammar, Destroyer had overwhelmingly better grammar and a less choppy style. The angle, in my opinion, was the actual deciding factor. Innovator had scattershot imagery and emotions that readers could generally connect with in a presentable package. Destroyer had something more physical & encapsulated

Winner: Innovator

Objective vs Fraze

Objective's verse used symbolism and descriptive language to develop its theme. I really enjoyed Objective's closer- it was very emphatic and I thought rather clever. Overall, it was a bit sparse and slightly simplistic in comparison to his opponent's, but the short & punctuated delivery was a nice stylistic touch that not many competitors use. Self-contained and powerful, just not quite satisfying enough for the W.

Call me jaded, but a lot of Fraze's science and technology metaphors fell really flat. But I liked how he handled the tone of his piece, there was some light rhyming but nothing earth-shattering in terms of lyricism. It had a decent ebb and flow to it, it proceeded logically, it was basically a topical- which is fair game.

Fraze took the win for providing a meatier and content-rich verse.
Winner: Fraze

Witty vs Dr Dog vs Vulgar

This battle consisted of some pretty top tier heavy weight writers. Witty a well know artist of topicals and poems(RB mostly), split 8 relatively new when compared to how long witty and vulgar have been around-showcases the skills of season vet. dude can write his ass off. Then we got vulgar, a beast among any writing circle, this guy can write circles around circles. great set up write? almost good enough to just not drop anything. this battle didn't disappoint.

Dr. Dog

"where the patio breathed smoke, and gradual rings
wrote words for the song
from notes that were gathered
on napkins and coasters,
the closest listener couldn't
untangle the pianist from keys
or disengage the eroding of rock into
an old drinker's cough."

Dog wrote to his strengths. writing what i would love to write. non scatter brained imagery. split has a way of intertwining words and phrases together and still manage to write such smooth imagery. no exception here.

Vulgar

"brought the molasses of sunshine to breakfast brewsters
from Kabul to Nantucket
What a light show, how far it stretched"

What happened to vulgar this week is probably something that will happen from time to time. especial here on NC where poetry is just now being introduced. Simply put V went over everyones heads...or atleast thats how the voting went. In my honest opinion vulgar outshined both witty and Dog with his poetry chops on display for everyone to notice. once V gets in to the groove this wont happen to often again. hes got a way with catering to readers..just wait.

Witty

"We can not touch her golden face
Her strength melts ego to modesty
As we stand before her in reverence
She holds the past within her core"

witty this week unfortunately fell to the last minute bug and still managed to drop some great poetry that withstood the competition, despite wittys best efforts lol. i feel like witty is on the brink of writing some really great. just need to get that other half of his ass moving. srsly though witty is a force and look out for this guy.

overall i feel like Split encapsulated what witty and vulgar tried to bring to the table last week. his piece was simply yet had that depth that readers where looking for.

Winner: Dr Dog

Snoop vs ribbit

Sn00p wrote one of the more classically-oriented poems this week. I enjoyed his more traditional approach. I read his poem as discussing the eventual decay of society in comparison to the loss of childhood naivete. It's been done very often before, but there's nothing wrong with saying something that's been said a million times if you can say it in a new way. There were some allusions to popular poetic persona (Greek gods etc.). The verse connected to the decadence of man as depicted in the topic picture, thought it was really nicely thought out. A certain delicateness to the writing was missing but he emulated it nicely, but I assume Sn00p is brand new to poetry- and writing poetry in a foreign language is absurdly hard. Sn00p showed he has the potential to be a real competitor in this league.

Ribbit had a topical-esque verse, it was good in some aspects and rough in others, I can see him improving quickly. He also had some of the better & more specific votes if you took the time to read them. His wording was a little off in places, as was his diction, but this was a good showing. I liked the 'free-association' approach.

Winner: Sn00p

[Predictions]

Hush vs Destroyer

[Innovator]
ok so im actually really excited to see this battle go down. 2 seasoned vets of the text world going up against each other to write the feels..payper view coudnt write it better. Hush is basically a legend round here with text past. while des is no slouch and is probably considered one of the best we got. i honestly cant tell who will win. i havent seen hush write a poem and last week des brought the guns out and showed hes capable of writing great poetry. ama go with @Destroyer on this one seeing how ive seen his work.

Destroyer: 60/40

[Split]
Gonna be dope if both show, I remember Hush writing some really good topical back on NC 1 and Destroyer had a good showing last week. Perhaps competing against someone from a similar domain will give them a boost in confidence & drive to make this particularly dope, but I see this possibly being BOTW.

Hush: 51/49

ribbit vs Vulgar

[Innovator]
ok so ribbit seems pretty new to the poetry seen. i look forward to see his progress in the league. last weeks verse had so much potential but fell short. ribbit could become a good one, just gotta keep writing. i see vulgar taking this easy. no offense ribbit, especially given the some what complex opics this week...i see vulgar dropping epic.

Vulgar: 70/30

[Split]
Ribbit shows promise, but Vulgar is a force. Barring a complete re-tooling or remastering of his style, I forsee ribbit taking an L. Vulgar is one of the more dominant writers on the site. However, Vulgar sometimes misses the mark with readers so don't write ribbit off.

Vulgar: 70/30

Dr Dog vs Zen

[Innovator]
god i look forward to this battle so hard. im hard. man 2 completely opposite writing styles clashing together. ive seen zen drop poetry over at RB and they are just as good if not better(my opinion). zen has his own style that he translates well into any writing facet, while Split is like a handyman when it comes to writing...he can adapt to anything given to him. tbh i dunno who would take this battle..as writers i see them as equal...i predict voter preference in this battle. great topic for this battle lol..ama giv it to split by an ass hair.

split 8: 51/49

UnbornBuddha vs Razah

[Innovator]
ok so i aswell dont know any one of these guys but i did peep razah in the topical tournament. plus theres word round town hes not a newbie. so we got that. and buddha ive peeped some of his open mics and i believe he made it to the semis in said topical tournament. so both of these cats can write. what this battle comes down to is translating those topical skills over to the poetry side...should be interesting to read this battle. i could go either way as im not too familiar with either writer.

Either way: 50/50

[Split]
I don't know who Razah is, but I do know that UnbornBuddha is a force. He has the control of language as well as the vision to be very dominant in this league. Will give Razah the benefit of the doubt since I don't know him at all.

UnbornBuddha: 65/45

Witty vs Objective

[Innovator]
i think objective has the same problems i have, scattered though process with bad grammar lol...its poetry fuck grammar. but yo objective can write with anyone if given the chance. here's that chance against witty, some one who is a know vet and some would say topical legend. Witty better watch out though if he drops last minute like last week..objective could easily take this W from witty. its up for grabs for me here aswell. but ill give witty edge for now.

Witty: 60/40

[Split]
Witty had a pretty dope poem last week, I didn't care for the angle but enjoyed the writing itself. Objective had a pretty nuanced approach. He also had some powerful lines that stood out in my mind. I see Objective taking this in a close one

Objective: 55/45

Innovator vs fraze

[Split]
Good matchup, I think that while relatively evenly matched in terms of approach, Innovator has a broader pallet of descriptive devices at his disposal. Fraze could aim for lyrical appeal and scrape a win. I'm not sure either way, might come down to motivation.

Winner: 50/50

[Around the Site]
NBL
Undefeated @King Karaoke beat @ill nik-A for the crown, and faces off against @Junto next week.

Open Mic Magazine Slated for Wednesday
This edition will cover June & May.

Martyrs for an Abstract Cause
@Clutterbuck beat out @Mr J in a nail-biter.

Write Week
Please check the Open Mic thread for this contest! A challenge in brevity and creativity, Write Week's offer up a single picture topic for all contenders, and all comers compete for a single prize. Voting will be conducted by panel.

Congrats to Something for winning OM's VOTM for June 2015
@something won this month's VOTM with two nominations for his piece 'nobody cares about your problems', narrowly beating out user Something's 'don't think' by a single vote!

[Guest Lecture]
Objective
My favourite poet

Look; I know I know... Some of you are probably already thinking it's going to be Robert Frost, Homer, T.S. Elliot, Edgar Allen Poe or any of those untouchable fuckheads. I am sorry to dissapoint you; but no. My fav is someone who isn't known at all outside a certain place on the internet, someone really creative (in my opinion) that probably have written more poems than most of us will do combined.

This person is known as Poem_For_Your_Sprog and is known as a novelty account on Reddit. At least that's how I got introduced to her. She drops by different threads and instead of replying with normal comments or note she writes a poem. They're often short, ironic or funny in tone, but every now and then she comes along and drops some serious knowledge as well. I'm pretty active on Reddit and have read a lot (lying; some) poetry over the years and she's been making me laugh countless times, sad or mellow and even made me reflect upon life on several occasions. Due to this and that she's using the internet as a creative outlet to write poetry like that she's ended up being my fav.

One of my absolute absolute favourite poems of her (and in general) is a poem she replied with after a user posted this XKCD Comic:

I sometimes think I see his face -
The man without a voice.
The man who walks another place,
Divided by a choice.

Perhaps he never made the same
Mistakes across the years -
He never felt an addict's shame
In broken pride and tears.

Perhaps he wed the perfect wife,
And sailed across the sea.
Perhaps he led a better life.
Who cares?

He isn't me.

- Poem_For_Your_Sprog
-------------------------------------------------
Here's the link to the thread she replied the poem in if anyone is interested:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c...kxpr?context=3

You can google her and find her page on facebook as well where she posts different kind of poems all the time. If you want to read the shorter wittier ones you can just look through her post history on Reddit or just say fuck it and buy one of her books.

My 3 favorite forms in poetry

Sonnet - ''A 14-line poem with a variable rhyme scheme originating in Italy and brought to England by Sir Thomas Wyatt and Henry Howard, earl of Surrey in the 16th century. Literally a “little song,” the sonnet traditionally reflects upon a single sentiment, with a clarification or “turn” of thought in its concluding lines.'' (From poetryfoundation.org)

There's different forms but I prefer the English or Shakespearean sonnett. Wyatt and Surrey developed the English which condenses the 14 lines into one stanza of three quatrains and a concluding couplet, with a rhyme scheme of ABAB CDCD EFEF GG. I love how you can personalize it in so many different ways yet still be under strict rules.

Haiku - ''Traditional haiku consist of 17 on (also known as morae), in three phrases of 5, 7 and 5 on respectively.'' (From wikipedia.) I know it's short but it's always pretty sweet to read a well thought out or atmospheric haikus. These short bastards normally consist of 3 lines with either 5,7,5 or 3, 5 and 3 syllables respectively. It's mostly about nature and modernized haikus often got a surprising twist on the end. Here's an example:

On a branch
floating downriver
a cricket, singing.

Here's another example with the traditional form with 5, 7 and 5 syllables respectively:

Ye... they do got a point; a lot of haikus don't make any fucking sense. So make sure yours does if you're planning on writing one.

Occasional Poetry - ''A poem written to describe or comment on a particular event and often written for a public reading.'' (From poetryfoundation.com)

This one kind of speaks for itself. Poetry dedicated to a certain case, situation or to speak about a certain issue that has moved a lot of people or a community. I love that shit.

If you want to read more about different forms within poetry or certain lingo you should take a look at this page: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/lear...orms-and-types

[Elements]
Hey everyone. This section is going to a little editorial section about poetry writing and technique in general. There's so many aspects of writing than can be critiqued or considered when reading a piece, so this is just to serve as a small look into the various creative elements at play in this league & poetry at large. To make you assholes read it, I'll be using your verses as examples (as well as those of famous poets or writers).

Each week, a different aspect of writing will be discussed, with an emphasis on its bearing in poetry. I'll also be looking for willing volunteers to guest-write for this column if they have something they think would be interesting.

Week 1: Punctuation
Punctuation and Grammar
Punctuation is important.

Whether or not you want to believe it, using punctuation properly--and not using it improperly--is crucial to any writer's success.

One lesson we all learn early on is best summed up in a quote:

you have so much you want to write about in your verse that you want to just write it all. Pour it on paper. Those abstract relationships-- you must make them perfectly clear. Are they thinking about the importance of my "dildo/ dill dough" wordplay? Maybe I need six more adverbs to make it super clear how my main character is secretly in love with his pet fish, who is secretly God. I could discuss the fish's first seven birthdays because 7 is the Jesus number, you know?

Then you discover that, hey, people kind of aren't reading everything I wrote. It seems like these voters skimmed, what gives?

You gave. You gave too goddamn much, you fool.

Quickly, we learn that quality> quantity, and that sometimes the best way to describe something is indirectly. To hint at it. To imply it, but not say it outright. All of a sudden, you're finding that it takes you an hour to write 20 lines instead of five minutes to write 150 lines. The general population of writers on this site I'd say stop here. What need is there for punctuation in topicals? Rappers don't have punctuation.

Well, on a basic level, punctuation helps writing imitate speech. But in poetry, it can play so much more of a role.

The general guideline for punctuation in poetry is to go all the way or don't go at all. One of the most appealing aspects of poetry for many people is its creative license, which they misinterpret to mean all rules for grammar and punctuation go right out the shithouse window.

You are free to do this if you'd like. However, it's important to remember that conventions are put in place so that things we can agree on what makes sense. When we violate conventions we are inherently introducing ambiguity to our writing. Discarding punctuation can make writing seem more powerful as it must stand on its own- or cripple it when it fails to do so.

Personally (and I say personally because we all subscribe to our own schools of thought), I believe the four best ways to use punctuation in poetry are:

1. to provide pacing (tonal effects)
Poetry is often meant to be read, and the way you read something gives way to the way you interpret it.

2. to demonstrate metaphysical relationships (see: ee cummings)
You can take advantage of how people interpret punctuation and apply it in crazy ways. Expect of lot of people to 'not get it.'

3. to make your writing more visually appealing (form poems, accentuation)
Nobody wants to read an avalanche of text. Punctuation can be dramatic.

4. How much do you want to leave up to a reader?
Every writer feeds off the energy of someone who truly reads every letter they put on a page. Punctuation, and grammar as a whole, is meant for you to be able to mean exactly what you want to say. As a result, you have to commit to the idea that in the hands of the competent reader, there is only one way the poem can be read. This doesn't mean there is only one interpretation, but it does mean that whatever you put on the page is going to be taken at face value.

However, as we all learned, sometimes it's best to leave the most important things up to the imagination.

You're not allowed to say "Actually, this means this" so as a writer you have to make it explicitly clear what you mean in some way or another. Using punctuation absolutely limits the ways that someone can interpret your poem, for better or for worse.

Ask yourself- what do I want to leave up to the reader?

"Can you get that dog, Dick, in the backdoor?" is you clearly asking someone to help you a get a dog named Dick inside the house. Or perhaps you addressed a friend named Dick midsentence because he wasn't helping you get the dog inside.

"Can you get that dog dick in the backdoor", well... there's many interpretations.

Typical Usage: how to read punctuation you fucking ape
If you don't know shit about punctuation, here's a debriefing. I'm not an expert but I have a general idea of what I'm doing.

Line Breaks
Line breaks are the most commonly used punctuation in poetry. People have this idea that if it doesn't have line breaks it might as well be prose. Line breaks indicate a pause of some kind, maybe a soft pause, maybe a hard stop.

Here's an example of how shifting line breaks can change the meaning of a poem.

This one groups the female companion's face lighting up with the fireworks. The lights being left off, combined with the sense of understanding, but separated from the ending statement of 'we make people feel alone.' It gives a sense of loneliness and rejection, feeling sad for unrequited feelings. Perhaps a relationship that lost its spark.

This one puts the fireworks alone, distancing it from the literal description of her reaction. This one seems to imply that their burning attraction is the center of focus.

This one could be any of the above, depending on your interpretation of how things should be separated.

Periods
Periods indicate a full stop in your sentence or thought. Not much more to say than that. People often use periods for excessive emphasis as well- all types of people. Writers. Poets. Bloggers.

Commas
Commas are great for creating gentle boundaries between the components of your sentence. They indicate that you are pausing without ending your thought. I think of them as soft pauses.

When I put a comma, you know that I'm either appending an introductory or concluding clause, am going to add additional details related to the preceding clause, begin to list a series of things, or generally combine rather than separate. Commas are easy to both use and abuse- especially when you create a run-on sentence like I just did. They can also indicate pauses if you're trying to make a sentence read how you would, you know, speak.

Parentheses
Parentheses are used to supply extraneous information that wouldn't warrant a new thought, or clarify something that *might* be necessary (so you do just to be safe). It's kind of hard to use these wrong. Sometimes they give the effect of whispering, or having a little 'aside' to your reader.

Semicolon
One of the most abused punctuation marks. Semicolons are really simple, you use them to combine two sentences that are inherently related but are not part of the same thought; it would be grammatically incorrect to substitute a comma for a semi-colon- but perfectly fine to replace one with a period. People are over-zealous with their semicolon usage. They're best used sparingly to aid in delivery. If your grammar and punctuation suck, they're gonna make you look like an idiot.

Colon
Colons are used to supply additional details to pointedly reinforce a preceding statement. Like an inviting pause where you give people a second to ponder what you just said, and then follow through emphatically. Also used to more formally precede lists. Here's the nice thing about colons: they imply a logical relationship for you. They establish a barrier between claim and justification.

Dashes
Dashes are used for strong interjections in the middle of sentences. I'm trying to think of something less douchey than--drumroll, please--corny joke phrases. Coming up dry my bros. You also use them in place of a colon for stronger emphasis-- end your sentence with a *POP*. Dashes can be an interruption of a thou-

Dashes used in place of colons are generally considered to be a shock pause. Like you're about to deliver a revelation.

Hyphens
You hyphenate compound words, abnormally prefixed words, for words that you ad lib, or for compound adjectives. Maybe you'd describe someone as being dick-in-the-mouth gay: these types of Franken-words are user-generated. They're best used for clarifying modifers and al that, showing which adjectives go with which nouns. The popular joke is you don't want people thinking your old-ass car is an old ass-car. Maybe you wanna distinguish the way you added a prefix or a suffix to a word from an existing one. If you re-view a painting, you're looking it over for a second time. If you review a painting, people will think you're offering a critical opinion of it.

Ellipses
Ellipses demonstrate that a thought has not concluded but the writer is leaving something out on purpose...

You can also use them to accentuate the passage of time. You could say that, for years... nothing was different. Sometimes the implication of ellipses is blame or a necessary response. We've all gotten that text from our girlfriend- you missed our anniversary... She obviously wants you to get on your knees and beg. Ellipses are emphasis on the unsaid.

They demonstrate hesitance... but I don't want to show you all the tricks in the book, now do I?

Slashes
Slashes demonstrate duality and plurality and implies that the difference between the two is negligible or non-existent. If you say "you'd love to meet a boy/girl who loves soccer", you might mean "either a boy or a girl". One thing to note is sometimes it means both and not either, like a he/she. These are generally special cases. If "you'd love to meet a boy, or a girl, who loves soccer", then preference or implicit bias is generally shown towards the first thing listed. Slashes can also be used to show logical jumps. I'm sure we've all read Cracked articles where the author is buying a PS4/ getting PSN/ spending all his money on games/ fucking a double-ended dildo in Requiem for a Dream for expired subscription cards.

Asterisks
You use asterisks for onomatopoeia, sometimes. I did somewhere above this entry. Fuck it idc. More importantly, for marking little footnotes or implying that there are additional details* relating to this statement not immediately contained in this sentence. Sometimes people will demonstrate that something is implied to be true, but isn't actually the case. It's tongue-in-cheek. Like saying that police officers guarantee the safety* of all Americans.

*often times they come at the bottom of the page.

Exclamation marks and Question marks
No comment. Fuck your exclamation marks. Questions in poetry are poor style.

Single and Double Quotation Marks
[Ignoring the rules for how titles of works are cited, like TV's 'Game of Thrones' etc. etc.]
Single quotes imply something that people would presumably say. Like one's mother might tell you 'go to your room' when you get in trouble. You're not saying someone's mother actually said that, but that's the gist of it. Similarly, you can also use it to separate your words from outside voices. People in general 'think my poems need a lot of work'. You're not specifically alluding to any person there. Just creating a barrier between your opinion and the words on the page.

Double quotes indicate dialogue or the direct words of other people. "Fuck yo couch".

Grave accents and Apostrophes
People use tildes to indicate a "stressed" syllable. Like if Shakespeare wrote "learnèd", instead of saying 'learned' (it kind of is all one syllable) you would say 'learn-ed'.

Apostrophes indicate the opposite- skipped syllables or combined words (contractions). Can't run o'er the hills.

Poetic Usage

Here's a great example of one of the most competent poets on the site, E[character I refuse to acknowledge]g:

Punctuation is effectively used for pacing:

Here we see staccato emphasis on various subjects by using sentence fragments separated by periods. It follows a pattern like (characteristic descriptor)-->(elaboration by demonstration).

That colon usage at the end of a line-break serves to continue the above format, as I read it. It implies that "wrote you a letter but the message was false" is indicative of something else, something that is not the focus of the piece. This is well-executed, and draws attention from the speaker's experience in the relationship depicted, but to how he perceives that relationship later in life.

Some more abstract punctuation usage:

Illustrates how punctuation can be used to forge a conceptual relationship without sacrificing brevity or fluidity.

"Body heat, commodity. expounding winter" would separate 'expounding winter' from the other two components in this line. I believe E[]g wants to demonstrate the causal relationship between those two packaged items (body heat and commodity) and the 'expounding winter'.

Furthermore, the construction I wrote above seems to 'build' more than 'establish', as in it makes the reader envision that these are descriptions are literal, not figurative. (I believe) E[]g wishes to use this descriptive line as a stand-in for what may cause someone to become selfish in a relationship, thus this construction would defeat the purpose.

"body heat is commodity, expounding winter" is less slick in my opinion, it makes the line seem more of a subjective observation attributed to the narrator rather than a truth the author wishes to establish. The original one is much more de-personalized.

ee cummings

This famous poet uses parentheses and generally rejects conventional grammar. He was seen as visionary due to his creativity with punctuation.

Here's another great example where he uses intentionally ambiguous/ improper grammar.

Jose Saramango who believed that writers rely too heavily on punctuation:

Some authors choose not to use punctuation. Here's an example from Samuel Beckett.

One with only line breaks from Lucille Clifton:

That pretty much sums it up.

Q&A
With Innovator

OK folk so the first week of The Lime Green Poets Association went off with out a hitch. not a single no show and every one seems to be excited about the league. Today we have three of our very own answering some general question, so us mods can gauge the atmosphere and tbh get a first hand account about the league and hows its going so far...so with out further due here are @Dr Dog @Objective @Witty

So the first week is gone and done. What do you think about the league and was it what you expected a poetry league to be?

Witty
It turned out very well, there were few no shows, and from what I saw the quality of the writing was very good. I've been in poetry leagues before on RB (you know this lol) and it seems to be running in a pretty similar way. I don't really have any expectations other than for the battles to be set up and the topics to be dope, so mission accomplished in that regard.

Split 8
Well, I like the league this far, and really hope we can attract some of the more dominant topical heads to participate and see how people do in a similar but different style. I was hoping the poetry league would be like it is now, to be honest.

Objective
I don’t really know what I expected to be honest. I guess I was expecting some similar shit to the one that was at Textstars. Shit’s still too fresh to comment on tbh and I’m hoping to see people experiment a bit more with schemes and formats etc. but the future will tell. Love the topics for week 1 and 2 btw.

Do you honestly think this league will take off and become a staple of NC culture? why or why not?

Witty
It's early days but I have honestly been surprised by how well received the idea was, it wasn't too long ago you could not have a poetry league on NC because people were just so against the idea. I think if we get through the first season without too many problems there is a good chance of it becoming a permanent league, we'll have to wait and see.

Split 8
Maybe. I think a bunch of people that don't normally fuck with topicals could give this a shot. It needs to distance itself from AOWL in scope and in personality.

Objective
Ye, for sure. Yes because people on NC love diversity and a challenge. A lot of people here have experimented with different styles of writing and want to excel in all of them. I remember reading a short story by @Vulgar some time ago about a dude and a trumpet or some shit with a witty twist at the end. One of the better short stories I’ve ever read. Everything that sparks a challenge and/or is different attract people and sparks debate (looking at you @Destroyer) which is healthy for text and the culture. DRAMA itself is healthy for NC culture, hah.

Given the little controversy in the first week about votes. What are is personal opinions about week ones voting? Furthermore do think this league could benefit from a voting criteria or set of basic rules to base your vote from?

Witty
I thought the voting was cool tbh, I saw some things I disagreed with but that's normal because it's just opinion, from what I saw people were honest about how they felt and they left extensive feed stating why they felt that way, so I don't think there's a problem. And no, I don't think there should be a voting criteria or basic rules...well i guess it would depend on how strict they are, you wouldn't want to prohibit people from voting based on personal preference, I think people just need to vote for what they liked best and explain why in a fair way...having rules that say 'this must be taken in to account' or 'do this, don't do that' is very restricting so I would say no to that.

Split 8
I think that people might not have known what sort of voting criteria to follow, but I don't think that we need to make a formal set. Lead by example, vote on others' writings how you would want yours to be voted on but have fun with it

Objective
Week ones voting was how I expected. I think the people however is a little bit set on how they vote on topicals and uses a lot of the same criteria, same goes for the way they write and process ideas with a couple of exceptions like someone going for a ABAB quatrain structure while most of the submissions were either couplets or freeform.
I don’t think set voting is the way to go as it’ll limit too much how people read the poems. I would like it to be as free as possible but that people instead keep in mind that technical aspects should be looked highly on. Such as; If someone wrote a sonnet and someone used freeform a lot more points should be given to someone using a set form as opposed to the easier style to write to. It also goes without saying that in order to get those points you also need to follow the rules within that category to a t. Even if the story is better in the freeform one I might still end up voting on a complete sonnet for the challenge alone as long as it’s on topic.

Would you be open to other styles of poetry. say like Haiku's or Sonnets? maybe even some limericks shouts to @Witty.

Witty
I love haiku's lol also, limericks are my favourite type of poem, it was the first type I witnessed as a child and I started trying to write my own...they were awful but they kicked me off to bigger and better things, I think I love them for the same reason I love rap, and writing topicals, because the rhythm of the words is quite therapeutic to me in a way, and the artistry to put it all together like a puzzle is what i enjoy most in this world.

Split 8
I would very much want this to happen, as it was one of the most appealing aspects of the last league I participated in. I have some suggestions for which to skip & why.

No limericks, no anagram poems

Objective
For sure and I’d love to see people write more of it.

What is your honest opinion about punctuation and grammar in poetry?( i personally don't care, Emily Dickinson)

Witty
I don't care about it either, if I were doing it in a professional surrounding I would be more careful and pay attention to detail, other than that, if your message gets across then you've done your job. Punctuation can help the read go a bit smoother, but i think marking someone down for lack of punctuation is quite unfair as it should be about the content itself imo.

Split 8
I think that you're at the mercy of your readers. Most of us aren't literary critics and won't read like them, but some of us do get to that level for especially close or contested battles. I think understanding is crucial but usage is totally up to you

Objective
It matters to me because it seems more refined and polished. The way the poem is supposed to be read translates so much better and it just gives an overall better feel to me. But I’d only put grammar and punctuation up against each other if I couldn’t choose who to vote on as a last deciding factor to my vote.

ok now lets take a look around NC for a bit. i personal think the site is at an all time up since ive been here(almost 3 years). Tournaments are running smoothly and each league both topical and text are probably Top Tier and when i say Top i mean internet. People are voting. slow. but people are voting. the Site has an air of excitement. what do you guys think about the current state the site is in today? do you see it will last?

Witty
Yeah it's great, all thanks to guys like @Hush, @Sharp, @Vulgar and yourself Inno (still haven't got used to that, I always start to type F.A.T and then remember lol) but yeah there's a lot going on, and I've always said that if NC finally gets its act together we can be the best site like this on the internet, the talent in here is crazy for both text and topical/poetry, and I'm glad activity has picked up and so many dope people are competing, it's inspired me to get back in to it (I have written 3 pieces in the last week, that's a LOT to me nowadays lol used to be about 5 or 6 60 lines pieces a week lol) so thanks guys because I've been letting myself get rusty for a long time, so now I want to show those who don't know me from my topical battling days exactly how much of a beast i can be when effort is put forth. Also, it's a good way to learn, I always want to get better, everyone should because otherwise you may as well just stop, if you think you have nothing to learn, you won't learn anything. Luckily the talent here is incredible so there are a lot of people to learn from, and I plan to because I plan to dominate every writer on this site like I used to do, remember these words, I will be the best of the best. How do I know? Because I do not plan to stop until I achieve that, and when I do I will keep yearning to learn more, learning is my favourite thing to do after writing lol

you my dude from way back, just get at me anytime and I've got you. Props to both you and @Vulgar for stepping up and making this happen, next time either of you are in Ireland, drinks are on me, fellas.

Split 8
I think there are a lot of good writers who left after that godforsaken outage. And before it, too. I miss AOWL season 1 & 2. I think the site is very much on an upswing however

Objective
I don’t know if it’ll last but activity during the summer is always a good sign

thank you guys for your time. Enjoy the rest of the magazine

-inno

People not signed in, but should be

@dead man to regale us with tales of many tobacco-tarred opioid fuselages
@oats_murkel to smackdown @Bags in the event that he signs in
@Dancake we have whisky and thoughts of beautiful wimmins
@Eŋg to show em how its done
@Pinot Grij to deal with Alex Trebek's son
@Frank is Alex Trebek's son
@Certain is @Fig's mom
@Soulstice. wildcard!
@IAmRhetoric come write
@Sharp seems to know what he's talking about & would be worthy competition

[Outrospection]

[Split]
Great first week. Congrats everyone.

[Innovator]
outstanding week fellas..look forward to the next week.
quick reminder to all of you. remember poetry is very subjective
and is open to a wide range of interpretation...
keep that in mind when you write and vote...
thank you for your participation

Last edited by Inno; 07-07-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Vulgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #2
Vulgar
Razor-thin derision

Battle Record: 40-25

Accomplishments
- OM HOF

Champed
- Fight Night LIV
- Gimmick Battle League (2x)
- Write Week II
- Art of Writing League
- Storytelling And Topical Invitational Tournament
- STI
- Haiku Writer Challenge
- GWL Picture Challenge(2x)

Vulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant future

Great job guys. Excellent reads. Props for your effort.
Vulgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:00 PM   #3
Witty
Lime Life

Battle Record: 30-41

Accomplishments
- Only Slightly Retarded

Champed
- Lyric Olympics
- Summer Classic

Witty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant future

AYO WHERE DA FUQ MY INTERVIEW.

Lmao jk not mad...but rly tho, where's it at FOOL?

This was a really really good mag tho, major props to you and @Dr Dog, the league looks really promising.

Witty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:02 PM   #4
Witty
Lime Life

Accomplishments
- Only Slightly Retarded

Champed
- Lyric Olympics
- Summer Classic

Witty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant future

btw hush is the dark horse in this league.

dude can write his ass off, he's more than just text.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:56 PM   #5
dead man
living

Battle Record: 33-18

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- AOWL Season 1
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 4
- Write Week V
- GWL Season 1

dead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant future

poem_for_your_sprog is one of my favorite novelty accounts as well. next to shitty watercolors or w/e

real nice guys. real nice indeed
Old 07-07-2015, 08:57 PM   #6
fraze

Battle Record: 14-24

fraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant future

nice mag gentlememen, starting things off in style...
Old 07-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #7
dead man
living

Battle Record: 33-18

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- AOWL Season 1
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 4
- Write Week V
- GWL Season 1

dead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant future

fucking lol'd when @Innovator finally arrived at shish kabob. lmao shishkadabob
Old 07-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #8
IAmRhetoric
Finding the light.

Battle Record: 3-8

IAmRhetoric has a brilliant futureIAmRhetoric has a brilliant futureIAmRhetoric has a brilliant futureIAmRhetoric has a brilliant futureIAmRhetoric has a brilliant futureIAmRhetoric has a brilliant futureIAmRhetoric has a brilliant futureIAmRhetoric has a brilliant futureIAmRhetoric has a brilliant futureIAmRhetoric has a brilliant futureIAmRhetoric has a brilliant future

poetry isnt my thing honestly.. i appreciate the request tho
This nigga gets misty eyed when he plays candy Land
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Is donkey punching still a thing...U think I can t off on the back of her dome? Looool
IAmRhetoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:26 PM   #9
Witty
Lime Life

Accomplishments
- Only Slightly Retarded

Champed
- Lyric Olympics
- Summer Classic

@Objective please don't take my W....cuz if you do then I'll just be itty :(

Old 07-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #10
Zen
Arm the Homeless

Battle Record: 22-24

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Zen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant future

Very cool, mag. I'll read all of it tomorrow during my morning glory.

Fatt, you have an awesome beard.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:51 PM   #11
Inno
Ad mini tator

Battle Record: 26-54

Champed
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Inno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond repute

@Witty @Objective

youved been added to the mag
Inno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #12
Witty
Lime Life

Accomplishments
- Only Slightly Retarded

Champed
- Lyric Olympics
- Summer Classic

BOUT TIME BIIISSSHHH!!!!!

lol thanks bro, if you ever need help with this get at me dude.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:40 PM   #13
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Battle Record: 56-21

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

Sharp has disabled reputation

appreciate the love lol

I'm not really the creative type tho, I'll give this a shot regardless when NBL winds down
Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:11 AM   #14
UnbornBuddha

Battle Record: 23-10

Champed
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 5

UnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant future

Poetry is an interesting entity. Splendid magazine by the way.
UnbornBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:14 AM   #15
Split Eight
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Battle Record: 3-5

Champed
- Haiku Writers Challenge

Split Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond repute

Nice

Altho virtually all the quotes got deleted during posting lol

when I write, lately, I feel as if I begin by stringing together ambient ideas and concepts, then i realize I'm just typing the words coffee, tawdry, and autumn over and over and over, again, then I pass out dru-
Split Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:42 AM   #16
Sn00p
General German

Battle Record: 26-12

Champed
- Netcees Battle League (2x)
- Line4Line Cypher Tourney
- Back2Basics
- Fight Night XLVI

Sn00p has a brilliant futureSn00p has a brilliant futureSn00p has a brilliant futureSn00p has a brilliant futureSn00p has a brilliant futureSn00p has a brilliant futureSn00p has a brilliant futureSn00p has a brilliant futureSn00p has a brilliant futureSn00p has a brilliant futureSn00p has a brilliant future

doooope mag. when i reached "around the site" i thought it was over, and i thought, well, that was cool, if a little short, but then... holy fk. props. for real.

can i do a section on meter next wk? @Dr Dog @Vulgar
Sn00p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:46 AM   #17
Split Eight
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Battle Record: 3-5

Champed
- Haiku Writers Challenge

Split Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn00p View Post
doooope mag. when i reached "around the site" i thought it was over, and i thought, well, that was cool, if a little short, but then... holy fk. props. for real.

can i do a section on meter next wk? @Dr Dog @Vulgar
Absolutely my dude

when I write, lately, I feel as if I begin by stringing together ambient ideas and concepts, then i realize I'm just typing the words coffee, tawdry, and autumn over and over and over, again, then I pass out dru-
Split Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:59 AM   #18
sral
Shrewd as evearthed

Battle Record: 28-3

Champed
- Gimmick Battle League
- The Winter Topical
- Topical Martyrs
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- Lyric Olympics
- Art of Writing League
- Guerrilla Writing League (2x)
- Black August II

sral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond repute

do i get my wins/accomp added for champing the Martyrs thing?

might throw an alias up and have a pop at this

no idea how i'll fare but it seems pretty legit
sral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:15 AM   #19
Witty
Lime Life

Accomplishments
- Only Slightly Retarded

Champed
- Lyric Olympics
- Summer Classic

This is one hell of a mag, just read it again...really fucking good job bros.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:05 AM   #20
oats
Steel Cut

Battle Record: 19-10

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

oats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant future

this was dope, props. holla at me for interview or something if you ever need.