Dominate
Tread Lightly.

Battle Record: 26-9

Champed
- Netcees Battle League
- Battle Arena
- Tag Team Tournament III
- Tag Tournament: "Omicron Variant"

Dominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharaohs Army View Post
I like the idea of 1K a month but watch, the price of EVERYTHING would rise exponentially if this was put in place.
Companies still have to compete for your dollars. If a business can sell their product at $5 and make a profit, then suddenly jacks their price up to $10, another company will just come along and sell it for $5 and put that other company out of business.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:34 PM   #42
boof

boof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant future

everything is already rising dramatically in price without UBI and stagnant wages. if it did after ubi, it would be a choice by capitalists who would jack up prices just based on that knowledge, which is why i also support rent control, using the international drug pricing index as the standard for pharma(yang), medicare for all, a $15/minimum wage, etc.

fyi dom no ones arguing the $1,000 would go to small businesses. i simply said small businesses would take in more money once the working class as a whole gets a significant raise, because uh-oh was trying to say a $15 minimum wage would hurt small businesses.
boof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:47 PM   #43
uh-oh
DA GOD

Battle Record: 1-0

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominate View Post
Word so then you’d be CHOOSING to be poor. Another guy with the same income as you living paycheck to paycheck who wants to get ahead or build something for his kids is now able to by continuing to work hard or by switching careers to something more lucrative. That’s how it should be. People should be poor by choice, not circumstance.

Which is all not to mention that the idea of working for a living is fast becoming impossible for millions of people bc of the rise of AI. All the people working in call centers, retail, driving trucks... millions of them about to experience what people working in manufacturing went through. Even IF we somehow got a lot better at implementing retraining programs (success rate for people coming out of manufacturing jobs in these programs was around 15%), new jobs in different industries aren’t being created quick enough to fill this void.

I agree it’s disingenuous to argue that the entire $1000/month is all going back into the local community but for most people a reasonable slice of it will - there’s plenty of shit people will spend money on that you can’t buy online. Eating out at a restaurant, going to movies/concerts/sports events, child care, car repairs, blah blah blah.
everyone who is poor didn't choose to be, but in america if you REMAIN poor you are choosing to be. i was poor. im surrounded by all the same shit that drags everyone down. i cut those people out of my life and consented myself to the misery of working a job i hate so i can have money. so can everyone else. i didn't walk in making 50k a year (a pittance compared to other ncg's). it was 8 dollars an hour entry level nonsense, but i grinded it out and worked at my trade until now im comfy.

Quote:
Companies still have to compete for your dollars. If a business can sell their product at $5 and make a profit, then suddenly jacks their price up to $10, another company will just come along and sell it for $5 and put that other company out of business.
another company would come along and sell it for 9 dollars but word.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:56 PM   #44
boof

boof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant future

jeesh imagine thinking cutting the right people out of your life is all it takes to not be poor
Old 01-07-2020, 05:59 PM   #45
uh-oh
DA GOD

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by boof View Post
the disconnect here is you literally have no idea what most people in our country are like because you've only lived in a few very similar places and aren't the type of person that gets to know different types of people. other people have ethics. other people have interests they cant afford. other people would like to support their friend's endeavors but can't afford it. other people would eat healthier if they could afford it. other people would go do more things in their town if they could afford it. if that's something you can't comprehend, idk what to tell you. building a computer for as cheap as possible is not something most people care about
the computer is an example. the point remains, no one is going to spend more money on the same thing if they can get it cheaper somewhere else. why do you think wal mart bodied everything lol.

Quote:
this is complete bullshit bro. who the fuck would want to stay in their house for the rest of their life, barely pay their simple ass bills, have $9 a day for food, and no car? like wtf are you talking about? no travel? no hobby? no money if you get sick? just bills and ramen? what makes you think anyone actually wants to live like this
if you can't eat good off 250 a month something is wrong with you, im also not saying people would want to live like this, but they might prefer it to working a job they dont want to have a little extra money

Quote:
its crazy that you're admitting people only work because their life depends on it, and crazier that you think that's okay.

there are countries where people work less than us and live better, despite having less money per capita, do you understand this?
why work at all if it isn't to survive/better yourself? do you think the lady at mcdonalds just loves making burgers? this is the strangest viewpoint i've ever encountered. the whole point of working is paying your bills and buying things you want lol. for me at least. if you have kids its providing them with a good life and experiences. but no one works because they like working, and tons of people if presented the opportunity to be able to live without working, wouldn't work. the whole idea of ubi is to take that stress off of people. the 1k is the starting point.

Quote:
so people receiving food stamps sell them for cash because it's more beneficial to them, so let's NOT give them cash in the first place and keep forcing them to sell their food stamps... because cash will... make them want to work less? even tho they're already turning it into cash?
they sell the foodstamps because they don't need 650 dollars worth of groceries and perc's are expensive
Old 01-07-2020, 06:06 PM   #46
Pharaohs Army
Banned

Battle Record: 6 - 14

Pharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant future

Quote:
There's collusion. With 1k a a month EVERY gas station would raise their prices (together & keep them raised)

Probably the same with fast food restaurants

Apartment owners,

etc.
Pharaohs Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:14 PM   #47
boof

^exactly. big pharma does this most effectively. they split the market and jack up prices in unison. that's happening now
Old 01-07-2020, 07:04 PM   #48
Dominate
Tread Lightly.

Champed
- Netcees Battle League
- Battle Arena

Dominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh-oh View Post
everyone who is poor didn't choose to be, but in america if you REMAIN poor you are choosing to be. i was poor. im surrounded by all the same shit that drags everyone down. i cut those people out of my life and consented myself to the misery of working a job i hate so i can have money. so can everyone else. i didn't walk in making 50k a year (a pittance compared to other ncg's). it was 8 dollars an hour entry level nonsense, but i grinded it out and worked at my trade until now im comfy.
“In america if you REMAIN poor you are choosing to be”.

I fundamentally disagree. I’m happy to hear your success story but I really don’t believe that’s how it goes for a lot of people, particularly those with kids or those who get sick or injured. And even if I’m wrong about that, there’s still the issue of AI being on the verge of replacing millions of people’s jobs quicker than new ones can be created.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:06 PM   #49
Dominate
Tread Lightly.

Champed
- Netcees Battle League
- Battle Arena

Quote:
^exactly. big pharma does this most effectively. they split the market and jack up prices in unison. that's happening now
Some industries need some degree of regulation. That’s true with or without UBI being a thing though. It wouldn’t be the case for most stuff just like it isn’t now.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:15 PM   #50
Immolate
I'm UPset

Immolate has a brilliant futureImmolate has a brilliant futureImmolate has a brilliant futureImmolate has a brilliant futureImmolate has a brilliant futureImmolate has a brilliant futureImmolate has a brilliant futureImmolate has a brilliant futureImmolate has a brilliant futureImmolate has a brilliant futureImmolate has a brilliant future

Who?
Old 01-07-2020, 07:25 PM   #51
boof

Quote:
Some industries need some degree of regulation. That’s true with or without UBI being a thing though. It wouldn’t be the case for most stuff just like it isn’t now.

My point was that it wouldn't be a thing because of UBI, as it already happens now in way more sectors than it should. Imo, some industries shouldn't be for profit. Specifically, ones that determine people's ability to live or die.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:33 PM   #52
uh-oh
DA GOD

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

another take that makes no sense but that other dude who was here like a week already touched on why that was ridiculous

also not at all worried about ai taking jobs in our lifetime to any degree of significance
Old 01-07-2020, 07:57 PM   #53
boof

bro its very simple

if the government cared more about americans dying from unaffordable healthcare than they did making sure the executives behind the healthcare industry extracted as much profit as possible out of it, we would have medicare for all

thats why all other developed countries have universal health care

shocker those countries have a higher quality of life than ours
Old 01-08-2020, 10:40 PM   #54
Dominate
Tread Lightly.

Champed
- Netcees Battle League
- Battle Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh-oh View Post
another take that makes no sense but that other dude who was here like a week already touched on why that was ridiculous

also not at all worried about ai taking jobs in our lifetime to any degree of significance
You don’t believe the stats/predictions from the (multiple, independent) studies, or you don’t believe the numbers they are predicting (20 million+) are an issue?
Old 01-08-2020, 11:42 PM   #55
Aero
GOAT

Battle Record: 14-17

Champed
- Site Diss Competition
- Tag Tournament III
- Lyric Olympics

Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero

Quote:
You don’t believe the stats/predictions from the (multiple, independent) studies, or you don’t believe the numbers they are predicting (20 million+) are an issue?
Why are you worried about us though? We can't even name the president of Australia.

Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:37 AM   #56
Dominate
Tread Lightly.

Champed
- Netcees Battle League
- Battle Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero View Post
Why are you worried about us though? We can't even name the president of Australia.
Prime minister.

But that’s hardly surprising. We’ve had 5 different ones in 10 years. Our system is broken.

The US is a world superpower. Who you elect as president should be of concern to everyone. Also, I find it particularly interesting at this stage of the game when there’s a lot of different ideas being debated.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:57 AM   #57
Aero
GOAT

Battle Record: 14-17

Champed
- Site Diss Competition
- Tag Tournament III
- Lyric Olympics

Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero

Quote:
Prime minister.

But that’s hardly surprising. We’ve had 5 different ones in 10 years. Our system is broken.

The US is a world superpower. Who you elect as president should be of concern to everyone. Also, I find it particularly interesting at this stage of the game when there’s a lot of different ideas being debated.

How do Australians feel about America in general? Are they talking about the Iran situation?

Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:36 AM   #58
Dominate
Tread Lightly.

Champed
- Netcees Battle League
- Battle Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero View Post
How do Australians feel about America in general? Are they talking about the Iran situation?
Of course. I’m pretty sure you could’ve picked up any major newspaper around the world today and seen something about it on the front page.

Opinions about America in general that are widely held here would include:
- We love your movies and tv shows
- you’re way more religious than us, generally
- your gun laws/gun culture are very unpopular here
- a first world country with no universal healthcare system is crazy to us

Maybe not an opinion that’s widely held but one I think is true: your country is more socially stratified than ours among a number of lines. Your poor people are poorer than our poor people, your rich people are richer. You’ve got a lot of the top minds in the world but also a significant number of people who are dumb as fucking rocks. I think we have less people at the extremes. The differences between your left and right wing major parties are a lot more extreme than ours.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:03 AM   #59
Witty
Lime Life

Battle Record: 30-41

Accomplishments
- Only Slightly Retarded

Champed
- Lyric Olympics
- Summer Classic

Witty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant future

All of what Dom said applies for the UK too.

Witty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:48 AM   #60
Blue Bayou
Ukrainian Howlitzers

Battle Record: 41-24

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- NBL Season 3
- Alias Tournament II
- Fight Night XLVIII
- Fight Night XXV
- Fight Night XV
- Fight Night (3x)
- Netcees Battle League (4x)
- NBL Tag Team Season 3
- Lyric Olympics
- 1-2 Punch League (3x)
- Battle Arena League (2x)
- Key Grand Prix 2018 1/2
- BA Tag
- NPL Roast
- Netcees Pic League

Blue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant future

Same for the Syrup Slingers
-kungfugrip
Blue Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote