Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Forum > Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

User Tag List

Old 07-06-2017, 11:43 PM   #1
Chill Phil
World's Heaviest Ghost

Chill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant future
Default Dad tips

So, a few of you know I'm practically a step dad to a four year old lil white jawn.

Only lived with them for about 3 months, so my bag of tricks to inspire obedience is limited. Went camping this weekend, and figured out the "Dad voice," is most effective when I'm actually upset. She was throwing a fit and crying/howling in the tent, until I got to the end of my patience and asserted "(kid's name) you're NOT the only one in this tent! And all of us need sleep!" I said this as I was climbing out of the tent because I was so pissed about how ridiculous she was being. But, as soon as I said it...the crying stopped and it stayed quiet.

Tonight, I figured out the "Dad eye." Mom was talking to me and the kid comes in and interrupts with "mommy, mommy, mommy..."
So, my girl is like "when I'm talking to Phillipe it's rude to interrupt." The kid starts to retort "but I just need..." And mom is like "I. Am. Talking. To. Phillipe." Again the kid is like "but..." So I looked over at her with this semi intense "you're about to piss me off," look and I calmly but sternly said to the kid "it can wait." I let the stare linger for about another second, and her mouth closed. I look back at mom and she continues yammering on about sme shit I'm not interested in.

Anyway...the reason for this thread is to possibly get some more tips and tricks for dealing with toddlers.

Last edited by Chill Phil; 07-06-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Chill Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:56 PM   #2
Final Boss
Till The World Blow

Final Boss has a brilliant futureFinal Boss has a brilliant futureFinal Boss has a brilliant futureFinal Boss has a brilliant futureFinal Boss has a brilliant futureFinal Boss has a brilliant futureFinal Boss has a brilliant futureFinal Boss has a brilliant futureFinal Boss has a brilliant futureFinal Boss has a brilliant futureFinal Boss has a brilliant future

Punishment with positive reinforcement.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:32 AM   #3
Chill Phil
World's Heaviest Ghost

Chill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant futureChill Phil has a brilliant future

care to elaborate?
Old 07-07-2017, 01:05 AM   #4
Final Boss
Till The World Blow

Final Boss has a brilliant futureFinal Boss has a brilliant futureFinal Boss has a brilliant futureFinal Boss has a brilliant futureFinal Boss has a brilliant futureFinal Boss has a brilliant futureFinal Boss has a brilliant futureFinal Boss has a brilliant futureFinal Boss has a brilliant futureFinal Boss has a brilliant futureFinal Boss has a brilliant future

This technique doesn't really have any punishment per say, and is geared towards a preteen - teenager. So maybe Im using the wrong terminology.. okay so.

*assumes the kids name is jake*

Jake! I asked you to clean your room over an hour ago! C'mon man, I don't want to have to tell you again. I know you know how to clean up, you can do it."

Or any variation of that.

You're showing assertion with the "don't make me have to tell you again" but also giving encouragement right afterwards with "I know you know how to clean up, you can do it."
Old 07-07-2017, 01:12 AM   #5
Final Boss
Till The World Blow

Also, explain the reasoning behind you telling them "No!" Or "don't touch that/put that down!" When they ask "why" try not to say "because I said so"

Instead, explain the reasoning behind the correction. If it will hurt them/get them in trouble/harm others etc..

They are bound to defy you over again because the defiance comes from a place of ignorance.sharing knowledge of the world at a young age is key.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:58 AM   #6
Chill Phil
World's Heaviest Ghost

She's too young to reason with, honestly. She's too driven by her impulses and primitive "I want," part of the brain. As soon as she can answer a question without the reason "because I want it," I'll try reasoning with her.

Talked to her til I was blue in the face, and got nowhere. But, then she touched a hot stove and never did it again. I'm currently trying to figure out a way to teach her in a way that appeals to the "fire burn," part of her brain. But when she's older I'm definitely down to reason with her.

She's a difficult child. Sometimes she responds to talking, but it's short lived. There were a couple mornings she was being a shit and mom was trying to talk in her "grumpy voice," to get the kid to do what she was supposed to do to get ready for day care. Kid wasn't responding, so I just went in picked her up in my arms and was like "let's try to make this easy for mommy, ok?" She nodded, and we got her hair and teeth brushed while mom could cool off

Last edited by Chill Phil; 07-07-2017 at 02:01 AM.
Chill Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:05 AM   #7
Tha Pastor Reach Yeah
Allan o dywyllwch

Battle Record: 10-0

Champed
- AOWL Season 7
- Art of Writing League

Tha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant future

I dunno why, but counting to 3 seemed to work well for my daughters at around that age. Its like, you say; "Go tidy up" "But I don't want to" "Go tidy up" "But its not all my mess" "I've asked you to tidy up" "But that's not fair" "Tidy up!" "But..."

And then you go, "1..." and then suddenly there's a realization on their face like "Ok, I know this, we've done this before! Somethings gonna happen at 3, and I don't know what it is but I do know that I probably won't like it. This is the end-game."

"2..." and then they're like, "Ok I'm running out of time here! Really running out of time here. Gotta make a decision quick because I daren't let it get to 3 - I don't know whats gonna happen, but I can't let it happen..."

And then when you begin to open your mouth to say 3 they just fly straight to do it, because they still haven't fully made up their mind at this point but they're too scared to see what is coming after 3 so they're forced into making their decision once it hits that last possible point, and they know they're out of time so they panic, and ultimately the fear of the certain but unknown action after 3 is the most powerful emotion at that final point.

The key is to allow enough time between each number for them to quickly formulate thoughts about what is about to go down, but not long enough for them to go back and forth between their options, to evaluate them fully, weight them up and remember that actually most punishments aren't really that bad.

You're welcome.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:12 AM   #8
Chill Phil
World's Heaviest Ghost

I appreciate it. Mom does a count down from 5 but does nothing at the end of it. So the kid doesn't respect when Mom does it...so, I haven't tried it yet. Maybe it'll be different if I do though. Thanks for the tip. Anyone else got some gems?
Old 07-07-2017, 09:09 AM   #9
Aero
GOAT

Battle Record: 14-17

Champed
- Site Diss Competition
- Tag Tournament III
- Lyric Olympics
- Tag Tournament: "Omicron Variant"

Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Phil View Post
So, a few of you know I'm practically a step dad to a four year old lil white jawn.

Only lived with them for about 3 months, so my bag of tricks to inspire obedience is limited. Went camping this weekend, and figured out the "Dad voice," is most effective when I'm actually upset. She was throwing a fit and crying/howling in the tent, until I got to the end of my patience and asserted "(kid's name) you're NOT the only one in this tent! And all of us need sleep!" I said this as I was climbing out of the tent because I was so pissed about how ridiculous she was being. But, as soon as I said it...the crying stopped and it stayed quiet.

Tonight, I figured out the "Dad eye." Mom was talking to me and the kid comes in and interrupts with "mommy, mommy, mommy..."
So, my girl is like "when I'm talking to Phillipe it's rude to interrupt." The kid starts to retort "but I just need..." And mom is like "I. Am. Talking. To. Phillipe." Again the kid is like "but..." So I looked over at her with this semi intense "you're about to piss me off," look and I calmly but sternly said to the kid "it can wait." I let the stare linger for about another second, and her mouth closed. I look back at mom and she continues yammering on about sme shit I'm not interested in.

Anyway...the reason for this thread is to possibly get some more tips and tricks for dealing with toddlers.

You playing step dad to a white kid for room & board? I hate this nigga.

Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #10
Ghost1

Battle Record: 0-1

Ghost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero View Post
LMFAO gone
Not saying being drunk doesn’t mess up you reasoning. I’m turning 20 soon so I haven’t had a drink ever.
Ghost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #11
Diode
PR's Finest

Battle Record: 12-7

Diode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkk
Old 07-07-2017, 10:36 AM   #12
Geno
White Earl

Battle Record: 10-15

Accomplishments
- Open Mic HOF (4x)

Champed
- Netcees Writers League
- Write Week I
- Write Week 8

Geno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Geno

Sometimes you just gotta let them cry it out if its an unreasonable whine or tantrum. Definitely DEFINITELY do not bend and submit by rewarding these actions. THISBIS HOW YOU SPOIL A CHILD. Not good. It does make future times harder once they begin to mature, knowing that you will submit. A child will play on that. It sounds like your handling this the same way i would. So big ups for that bro.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #13
Chill Phil
World's Heaviest Ghost

Quote:
Nope. Just in a relationship with her white mother. She comes with the packaged deal.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:18 PM   #14
Chill Phil
World's Heaviest Ghost

Kid is spoiled frfr. Mom doesn't reinforce her threats with action.

With all the Dad threads I thought I'd get more advice.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:24 PM   #15
Geno
White Earl

Accomplishments
- Open Mic HOF (4x)

Champed
- Netcees Writers League
- Write Week I
- Write Week 8

Geno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant future

Its only so long fake dads can pretend
Old 07-08-2017, 03:55 AM   #16
Tha Pastor Reach Yeah
Allan o dywyllwch

Battle Record: 10-0

Champed
- AOWL Season 7
- Art of Writing League

Tha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Phil View Post
Kid is spoiled frfr. Mom doesn't reinforce her threats with action.

With all the Dad threads I thought I'd get more advice.
My wife is exactly the same. Now they're 6 and 9 they pay no attention to her. I am the voice of authority.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #17
Ghost1

Battle Record: 0-1

Ghost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genocide View Post
Its only so long fake dads can pretend
Ain't no dadsteppin?
Not saying being drunk doesn’t mess up you reasoning. I’m turning 20 soon so I haven’t had a drink ever.
Ghost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:47 AM   #18
Geno
White Earl

Accomplishments
- Open Mic HOF (4x)

Champed
- Netcees Writers League
- Write Week I
- Write Week 8

Lol. You knowww
Old 07-08-2017, 10:48 AM   #19
ill nik-A
Super Senior Member

Battle Record: 70-25

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- Battle Arena
- BA Picture
- Picture Battle Tournament
- Netcees Battle League (3x)
- Netcees Writers League (2x)
- Summer Classic VI
- Fall Brawl III
- Netcees Battle League Season X
- Lyric Olympics

ill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant future

Dude, that has to come from mom

U don't want that "u're not my dad" response later on

Juss sayin
Old 07-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #20
Chill Phil
World's Heaviest Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill nik-A View Post
Dude, that has to come from mom

U don't want that "u're not my dad" response later on

Juss sayin
but i'm not her dad. when she's feeling sassy enough to say it, i'm gonna take her to the bathroom so we can look in the mirror, and i can sarcastically be like

"noooo way!!!! i'm not your dad!??!?!?!"

it's a fact, which i don't find offensive. but trust I'm not overstepping my boundaries.