Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Vault > Archives > The Netcees archive > Martyrs to an Abstract Cause

User Tag List

Old 07-03-2015, 03:44 PM   #1
Vulgar
Razor-thin derision

Battle Record: 40-25

Accomplishments
- OM HOF

Champed
- Fight Night LIV
- Gimmick Battle League (2x)
- Write Week II
- Art of Writing League
- Storytelling And Topical Invitational Tournament
- STI
- Haiku Writer Challenge
- GWL Picture Challenge(2x)

Vulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant future
Default The Finals: Magazine, Predictions, Interview, Awards

Greetings, future Hall of Famers, textees of all ages and creeds. Welcome to the last edition of the Martyr topical tournament's biweekly magazine. This project has been a big success, thanks to all of your participation, creativity, and guts. Your submissions have been ballsy, and you've approached topics with an open mind/heart. New faces are now staples of the topical community simply for stepping up and showing their skills! I will try to recognize some of them in this brief production.

A Look at the Finals

Quote:
Clutterbuck

Strengths: Clutter is a gifted storyteller with a knack for writing down-to-earth tales using literary wording. He's very careful with each line, and has become a craftsman in that sense. Many topicalists, myself included, have fallen to his sword during his stay here.
Weaknesses: An all out balls-to-the-wall epic can defeat him, I believe. Someone like Pent uP or Soulstice can beat Clutter 50% of the time, in my eyes, while others may have slimmer chances, mainly due to Clutter's consistency and spirit for competition.
Track record for high-stakes matches: Highly successful. Clutter champed the Winter Topical last year, and he's been undefeated since then.
Road to the finals: Sn00p, Veritas, Ullr, UnbornBuddha

vs.

Quote:
Mr. J
Strengths: The guy loves to write, and you can really tell he is passionate about what he writes about. Therefore, the enjoyment level of his writing/open mics/verses skyrocket because of this trait. Mr. J is good at bringing large templates, full of voluptuous ideas and enunciated dispositions, to the reader's eye level. He's known for having a versatile weapons system at his disposal.
Weaknesses: An elite-level verse is definitely within Mr. J's reach, and he's expanded on that evolving status during the duration of his time here on NC's. I haven't seen him really take it to let's say, 10 consecutive opponents - he tends to get hot and cold intermittently, either because of fluctuations with commitment or up and down patterns of inspiration.
Track record for high stakes matches: Medium success level. He has champed the AOWL before, which supports his case.
Road to the finals: UnbornBuddha, Certain, Pent uP, Razah

Predictions: Win or lose, they are both martyrs at this point... for better or worse...

End of the Tournament Awards

The Workhorse
@Genocide

The workhorse took on an unbearable workload, and managed to ride through into Valhalla with a warrior's resolve. Geno was the Evander Holyfield of the tournament, coming through with solid verses and a ton of votes.

Momentary Firewalker
@Pent uP

The firewalker had a momentary time to shine, with temporary bursts of brilliance. His showings against Geno and Soulstice were not easy performances to forget, but 'lo and behold, the firewalker fizzled out and extinguished itself until the resurrection starts again.

Best Rookie
@Ullr

The best rookie of the tournament was definitely Ullr, who burst onto the scene with excellent stuff. He brought it to his opponents and made it farther than most would have expected. He'll be back, I'm sure, to make a definitive mark on the lime green landscape.

Most Consistent
@UnbornBuddha and @Clutterbuck

These two pigeon wigs are defining what it means to be reverends of a new intraweb aristocracy. They've been writing their asses off lately, and their clash last week proved to be worthy of the names they've made for themselves on Netcees 3.0.

The Rising Star
@Razah

The Rising Star was a thorn in the side for formidable opponents this tournament. He wrote very well, introducing us to a different type of style than we're used to seeing, executed almost flawlessly. He is a threat from the newschool division of topicalists, and a rising star.

Most Solidified Acumen
@Mr. J

The most solidified acumen award goes to Mr. J, a proven veteran of the past who displayed his lesser known talons during the tournament. His writing identity has crystallized, and his Joker chrysalis has gained in strength. People believe in him now. Some fear him. We'll see where the Legend of Mr. J goes in the future.

Team Players
@MMLP @Rakontur @Certain

A big thanks to MMLP for being a team player and showing up to fight numerous times this tournament on short notice. Thanks for being game. Rakontur, thanks for your hard work on voting, get better soon bro. Certain, much appreciated for being a titan among topical moderators, and I wish you the best of luck in real-world-editing spheres. Just don't forget about us, faggot.

Thanks to everyone else for being a part of this tournament and dropping commendable verses! Even if you showed up just to try it out, I appreciate your effort and the gesture of attempting something out of your comfort zone. This may be the last topical tournament I host, but I will be running the Lime Green Poetry Association (LGPA) with my dude @Innovator as long as I possibly can.

Interview: UnbornBuddha

Who is the man behind the Buddha statue? A short but thorough Q&A with the duke of holistic rhyme writing...

What is your purpose on this Earth?

Why do you believe you were born?

Quote:
Ha ha, well you waste no time getting to the heart of the matter, the grand purpose is hard to define conceptually. But if I am to answer tangibly, I would have to say my purpose is simple. My purpose isn't very complicated, but it's different than most, I suppose. I don't seek happiness, for myself or of others. If I could help others, I generally do, but if I can't I do not worry about it. I look at everything as it is, perfect in its appearance, and presentation. Murder, sickness, and whatnot do not bother me, although not to say I don't experience empathy, love, grief, and whatnot. But, emotion doesn't control my life, just as thoughts don't. Thus, even if there was such thing as destiny, I believe an individual can surpass the mandates of heaven by understanding themselves, in relationship to their own body, as well as its connection to the world and that beyond our world. I have come to acknowledge my existence as a spontaneous happening. I open my eyes to the light and let its beauty and ugliness penetrate my being. It's like Confucious stated: "Everything has beauty, but not everybody sees it". And so, even ugliness has its magnificence. As you can probably ascertain by your astute eye, I don't see a purpose in my life, and such a thing does not drive me. What drives me, is my own enthusiasm for understanding. But, an understanding that comes from oneself, an authentic understanding, that does not come from indoctrination by religion, family, friends, companions, and so on. I deem this world perfect, although there are pain and suffering, and some people suffer too little, and others too much. Suffering naturally augments our behavior and our thinking, so we can transcend and evolve. Moment to moment I live to die and be reborn. If asked the same question hours later I would answer differently, and to me this changing flux of the ephemeral world is magical. But, generally, I don't consider myself to have been born. Obviously, I have a birth certificate and a form, but my awareness doesn't. This awareness is what I consider me, albeit it's an awareness that doesn't have a name, an age, or any other descriptive chronicle. But, to know this awareness more and more, deconstruction must take place. Deconstruction of who and what I think I am.

While, objectivity and subjectivity have their place in science, medicine, and the arts, in a greater scale, words and concepts are just tools to best try to progress our capabilities as a species. But, this tools does not help each individual to come to know and then harness the undying for themselves, so they can manifest paradise on the palm of their hands, in the midst of death, hell, and destruction. Also, I want to make clear I am not a nihilist, I don't believe we just die, and go into nothingness while our bodies become worm food. They do, but everything plays out as it does because there's a perfection in it. Chaos, and the patterns that we call order are in a sense our own unfolding.

How exactly did you find out about Netcees, and topical writing in general?

I imagine you and Zygote were both born Siamese twins. After being separated, he got into computer intel and extraterrestrial technology while you turned to holistic practices and Buddhist doctrines. Can you describe to the community your origins in your own words?

Quote:
I'm flattered to be compared to Zygote, a semblance that others have pointed out, but I don't believe I'm as proficient as him, and that's not my humbleness speaking, it is my honesty. He is a supercomputer, after all! And I'm just flesh and blood.

Anyway, I got into topical writing when I came to Netcees, so about half a year ago. Well, I came around July but started the topical route around October. I didn't even know such a delight (topical writting) existed. But, I actually stumbled onto the site years back. I may have even posted a piece or two under another alias I can't even remember the name I posted as, but after those short intro pieces I didn't really partake due to certain reason. But, for some reason the world of Netcees got etched into my mind, even as I wandered the vast e-world, not settling anywhere. And so, years later when I finally was ready to join a site, I remembered this site existed. And lo and behold, it was still standing. I never really did any forums for rap, mostly wrote with other individuals I knew from youtube, and they were fairly good. Most of them disappeared though, as youtube conglomerated itself. Because in a lot of ways youtube was like a forum, and in the ocean of users, I managed to find a community of dedicated writers. Some just wrote for fun, others for elevation, and whatever other reasons. I myself write because it gives perspective to where I am in thought, and where I am in articulating my thoughts and ideas, and so it gives structure to me, discipline. Also, I love Hip Hop it was a safe haven for me, growing up, believe it or not, I grew up in the "hood". Something I'm actually deeply grateful of because it gave me volition, and an inclination to not be like the rest of my peers, who fell into self-destruction. I value my life, even if I'm not afraid of losing it, time is a fleeting thing, after all. "UnbornBuddha's" origin came from years of practice, sacrifice, and my own ontological inclinations. I also want to make it clear, that though I may represent a Buddhist enigma, I do not endorse Buddhism, nor oppose it. I'm not a missionary, even if I appear to play the role. Its teachings are doctrineless, just like any other mystic tradition that shows true freedom: From Zhuang Zi to Mencius, to Meister Eckhart, etc. After all, there are many paths in cultivation, as cliche as that non-denomination statement may sound. I believe its true. In retrospect, I'm just a regular joe, who draws inspiration from many facets of life, and death. In my own writing, I like to shroud myself in darkness and despair, and then dig myself out of this hole, by showing the light within darkness.

Conclusion

And we're signing out... peace.

Be a martyr or be a poor man's messiah. The choice is yours. It always has been.

Last edited by Vulgar; 07-03-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Vulgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #2
Inno
Ad mini tator

Battle Record: 26-54

Champed
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Inno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond repute

Fucking dope broseph thanx for your effort
Inno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:49 PM   #3
sral
Shrewd as evearthed

Battle Record: 28-3

Champed
- Gimmick Battle League
- The Winter Topical
- Topical Martyrs
- Lyric Olympics
- Art of Writing League
- Guerrilla Writing League (2x)
- Black August II

sral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond repute

HOLY SHIT, AMAZING!
sral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:20 PM   #4
Razah
rockkFresh

Battle Record: 8-10

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Razah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant future

cool shit.
Razah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:37 AM   #5
fraze

Battle Record: 14-24

fraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant future

Nice mag bro.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:06 AM   #6
Mr. J
The Clown Prince

Battle Record: 35-45

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Mr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant future

dope shit Vulgie, now drop some OM's yo...

@sraL I dropped my verse, sorry I took so long....
needed the right motivation to start up with...
see you on the flip side doggy...
Old 07-04-2015, 04:41 AM   #7
sral
Shrewd as evearthed

Battle Record: 28-3

Champed
- Gimmick Battle League
- The Winter Topical
- Topical Martyrs
- Lyric Olympics
- Art of Writing League
- Guerrilla Writing League (2x)
- Black August II

sral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond repute

word

just posted up
sral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:36 PM   #8
Ullr
Norse God

Battle Record: 5-6

Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr

Nice work on this and best of luck to Clutter and Mr. J - I rescind my earlier dispute about our battle. You earned the win and earned the spot in this final. Kick some ass Clutter.

Thank you very much for the honor as well @Vulgar - Much appreciated. :)
Old 07-06-2015, 02:23 PM   #9
Clutbuck
Battle Rap's Married Man

Battle Record: 2-0

Champed
- Gorilla Writing league

Clutbuck has a brilliant futureClutbuck has a brilliant futureClutbuck has a brilliant futureClutbuck has a brilliant futureClutbuck has a brilliant futureClutbuck has a brilliant futureClutbuck has a brilliant futureClutbuck has a brilliant futureClutbuck has a brilliant futureClutbuck has a brilliant futureClutbuck has a brilliant future

LOL @ Razah winning the rising star award, he's a VET!

Literally from way back in the LyricalWar days with ill Nik-a and Karaoke/stickman haha, I said early on in one of my tourney votes that he wasn't to be slept on, dude is dope when he brings it he just hasn't been hugely active here until this tourney
Clutbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:37 PM   #10
Sn00p
General German

Battle Record: 26-12

Champed
- Netcees Battle League (2x)
- Line4Line Cypher Tourney
- Back2Basics
- Fight Night XLVI

Sn00p has a brilliant futureSn00p has a brilliant futureSn00p has a brilliant futureSn00p has a brilliant futureSn00p has a brilliant futureSn00p has a brilliant futureSn00p has a brilliant futureSn00p has a brilliant futureSn00p has a brilliant futureSn00p has a brilliant futureSn00p has a brilliant future

dope mag tbh
Sn00p is offline   Reply With Quote