Battle Record: 56-21

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

Sharp has disabled reputation
Default Congratulations to Uh-oh for winning beat battle 5!

1st place: Uhoh (beat 2, 8 votes)
2nd place: Poet (beat 3, 3 votes)
3rd place: Sharp (beat 4, 2 votes)
T - 4th place: Incredible (beat 1) and I got shine (beat 5)

If you'd like to re-listen with that info, here are the submissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp View Post
Props to all who took the time to make and submit something
Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:11 PM   #2
The Dead Poet

The Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant future

word good shit.

Let me get my excuses out there lol.

This was the first full beat I did in abelton. Usually I do my shit in Maschine. In hindsight I shouldn't have submitted mine so early lol. I had no clue my shit was almost 3 mins long. I normally would have made it like a min and had change up so it wasn't so cluttered. Either way good shit all. I'm ready for another one.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:33 PM   #3
Finnydot

Champed
- Beat Battle I

Finnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant future

Yeah I'll try and get in on the next one.
Finnydot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:36 PM   #4
Finnydot

Champed
- Beat Battle I

Finnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant future

Listening a second time, i think both uh oh and peez could have came harder. Y'all usually my steepest competition so take that as a compliment. Uh oh could have made his in his sleep. But that's saying something cuz his drums were perfect.

Running peezys all the way till the end, i like the layers you ended up pulling at the end. But not too many switch ups on the drums. They were good, don't get me wrong. But you just said in your last post you typically do more switch ups.

I've been going through my old beats recently since y'all did this shit, but i don't have a keyboard and mouse right now.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:40 PM   #5
The Dead Poet

The Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnydot View Post
Listening a second time, i think both uh oh and peez could have came harder. Y'all usually my steepest competition so take that as a compliment. Uh oh could have made his in his sleep. But that's saying something cuz his drums were perfect.

Running peezys all the way till the end, i like the layers you ended up pulling at the end. But not too many switch ups on the drums. They were good, don't get me wrong. But you just said in your last post you typically do more switch ups.

I've been going through my old beats recently since y'all did this shit, but i don't have a keyboard and mouse right now.
Word. When I heard the sample I knew the part Uhoh was going to use and figured everyone else would to. So I tried using some small vocal pieces. But with doing that you're not going to get much variation because there wasn't too much else I could lift. So I had to play bass and guitar on it and add other shit to even get a somewhat full beat.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:41 PM   #6
Blue Bayou
Ukrainian Howlitzers

Battle Record: 41-24

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- NBL Season 3
- Alias Tournament II
- Fight Night XLVIII
- Fight Night XXV
- Fight Night XV
- Fight Night (3x)
- Netcees Battle League (4x)
- NBL Tag Team Season 3
- Lyric Olympics
- 1-2 Punch League (3x)
- Battle Arena League (2x)
- Key Grand Prix 2018 1/2
- BA Tag
- NPL Roast
- Netcees Pic League

Blue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant future

I guess the voters are deph
-kungfugrip
Blue Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:50 PM   #7
Amen
As-salamu alaykum!

Battle Record: 19-8

Champed
- 1-2 Punch League Season 6

Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen

That 1st beat was terrible.
Amen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:39 PM   #8
uh-oh
DA GOD

Battle Record: 1-0

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

yoo thanks guys

i spent 45 minutes on mine roughly. lol took little chops here and there to make a couple simple 1 bar loops, one that was chill and one that was a little hyper with the vocals on it, but i also spliced in the intro chops and filtered them so the organ and humming came through and layered them in as well with the main loop

the longest part was getting the bass right though. my sub bass sample i use was weird for the notes i played along with. used melodyne to figure it out, but had to play it an octave lower then i would have liked because otherwise it got too high pitched, but as it is its kinda too low. not sure how it sounds on regular speakers but it gets mad boomy on my sub when it goes into the god is dead change sequence thing

but word i was happy enough with it for what it was. i also had to figure out how to use a delay for the end lol.

the actual chopping arranging and drum programming was nothing tho lol. espescially since i tracked down a sound forge 8 crack. lol

but word good shit guys im down for another one
Old 04-21-2020, 08:54 AM   #9
Finnydot

Champed
- Beat Battle I

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh-oh View Post
yoo thanks guys

i spent 45 minutes on mine roughly. lol took little chops here and there to make a couple simple 1 bar loops, one that was chill and one that was a little hyper with the vocals on it, but i also spliced in the intro chops and filtered them so the organ and humming came through and layered them in as well with the main loop

the longest part was getting the bass right though. my sub bass sample i use was weird for the notes i played along with. used melodyne to figure it out, but had to play it an octave lower then i would have liked because otherwise it got too high pitched, but as it is its kinda too low. not sure how it sounds on regular speakers but it gets mad boomy on my sub when it goes into the god is dead change sequence thing

but word i was happy enough with it for what it was. i also had to figure out how to use a delay for the end lol.

the actual chopping arranging and drum programming was nothing tho lol. espescially since i tracked down a sound forge 8 crack. lol

but word good shit guys im down for another one

You got an auto-chop program? That's so cheating fool... Lol

I STILL DO MY SHIT MANUAL BRO.

Nah... If i install anything else on my laptop it's gonna shit itself anyways. I got space but my shit been slow for a few years now.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:12 AM   #10
Incredible

Battle Record: 6-15

Incredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant future

Congrats uh oh dope shit. Any constructive criticism would be appreciated. Or you can just say it sucks lol idc either way. At least I tried. I'd like to see a top 10 fortune 500 beat from Amen.
Incredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:49 AM   #11
Destroyer
Bags will be avenged

Battle Record: 85-58

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- Gimmick Battle League
- 1-2 Punch League (5x)
- Fight Night LXXIX
- Fight Night 4
- Netcees Battle League (2x)
- NPL Roast

Destroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant future

Dude, Amen has made like a million dope beats
philosophy.
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:31 AM   #12
Finnydot

Champed
- Beat Battle I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible View Post
Congrats uh oh dope shit. Any constructive criticism would be appreciated. Or you can just say it sucks lol idc either way. At least I tried. I'd like to see a top 10 fortune 500 beat from Amen.
So first off your drum kits are booboo. Idk what program you're using, but never use stock drums. If you're using Garage Band or Fruity Loops you can find drum kits that sound better. There's really only 2 types of kits, but the possibilities are endless. First there's "live" drum kits. These are typically literal recordings of real drum sounds. They can vary in effect and tone. You can literally tune a live drum set so just even tone-wise you can find a million kicks and snares. Then there's all types of kits you can find with different effects like reverb added.

Secondly you can get 808 or 909 or simply just "synth" drums. These are typically more "computerish" or "synthy". These are most popular with southern style or west coast beats. There's no rules, but typically you'll want a low frequency bass to go with a nice crisp kick drum. Something that really knocks on the subs.

Most soul samples are easiest you match with live drums. I noticed you did more "stabs" than running your loops. Whether this was intentional or not is irrelevant.

Once you get more comfortable with sampling, the hardest part will be tempo matching and getting your chops right. It's funny because I've actually had a few talks with other people here about HOW to sample, so I'm not going to do a huge tutorial on how to get better. There are thousands of videos on how to get better.

What's important is once you've established "ok, i can play my loop over and over and it sounds good" that's when you can start getting creative.

Where i pointed out Uh Oh and Peezy in my last post is they essentially hit cruise control at that point. Once you get your loop, or loops, that's the meat of the process. You're essentially done at that point.

Where i think you started was you got your drums first, then added your stabs and midi later. This isn't bad, but typically reserved for more experienced producers who know exactly what they're going for.

I feel like you made your sample fit your drums, rather than going the other way. Once you get your loop and chops the way you want, you can add the drums you feel like sound best.

This is where Uh OH and Peezy have me in spades. They can match tone and depth with the original sample to where the drums compliment the sample as if they always should have been there. I INTENTIONALLY clash with my sample typically and throw very loud and IN YOUR FACE synth drums and low sub bass lines to give my beats a real KNOCK. Even on my smoother beats I'll still like hard drums to really push the envelope.

It's all about style. Check out my beat tapes of you want to see what I'm talking about.

Listen to Finny Does Tha Blues by Infinity Tha relliK on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/infinitythare...does-tha-blues
Old 04-21-2020, 11:57 AM   #13
uh-oh
DA GOD

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

yea incredible i'd just study some of your favorite beatmakers. the drumsounds are pretty generic. like the kick you're using etc. the fact it makes sense tho and you can nod your head to it is good though. i liked the guitar melody for what it was and the piano too in the sense that they made sense lol. again if this is one of your first beats the fact that it resembles anything that makes sense, sound selection aside is a good thing.

your best bet is to just keep banging out. the more you make the more you figure out and the more things will make sense. the better you'll get at sound selection and etc. as for this beat in particular it was basically 3 different unconnected mini melodies over some basic sounding drums, the programming/pattern of them wasn't terrible though, and then the god is dead drop interwoven here and there.

but word youtube is gonna be your friend as well. whatever program you're using im sure there are tons of videos and tutorials from people about how to do certain things

it also helps to even try and remake beats, or make beats along with the tutorials. pausing and doing the same thing. basically just until shit becomes second nature

also finny i didn't autochop lol
Old 04-21-2020, 12:30 PM   #14
Finnydot

Champed
- Beat Battle I

Alright... I'll allow it.

Basically, i hope you know I'm not dissing. I wish my half-assed beats sound as polished as you and Peezy. But I've said this before, i wanna hear you guys come out your comfort zone. Next beat battle i would wanna do something like all original, or if we're doing another sample i feel like we should force y'all to do southern style just to switch it up.

Yall both just too good at the boom bap... It's like nothing to yall. I know it's your strength, but I've been going back to my old beats. I've literally touched on every style of beat in my day. And not just like once, I'm literally practiced in every style of beat. Southern, west coast, east coast, trap and blending elements of each. I'm not nearly as accomplished in any style as you guys are at boom bap.

But whats crazy is i know y'all can do it better than me. Y'all get so intricate with your drum patterns on the boom bap, i know you could hear a beat and match the patterns stupid easy.

What i had to do to get better at the trap shit is play a beat them record my own drums over it. Results were mixed. I remember you sent me a throwaway show casing the repeater feature on your MPC to show me how they get so intricate with their snares and shit. I know you can do it.

I'm telling you tho, i still think if we collabed on a project that shit would be retarded. Id let you do all the chops and drums, id just lace with midi and maybe throw some extra lows on some shit.

FUCK IT UH OH, LETS SELL OUT AND MAKE SOME GOD DAMN MONEY. fuck...

My bad, I'm sitting waiting on the train right now bored as fuck.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:39 PM   #15
Finnydot

Champed
- Beat Battle I

My bad too... Forgot to mention, sharp i was actually pretty impressed with your entry in this one. You've gotten a lot better.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:54 PM   #16
The Dead Poet

I'm pretty sure we did a non sample battle and I think i.won bro. Lol. Im.down for one though. I'm trying to finish 3 beats a day right now. So word let's do it.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:23 PM   #17
uh-oh
DA GOD

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

im supposed to be getting my keyboard monday. but who knows with this rona shit

once i get that im down for an original battle
Old 04-21-2020, 07:18 PM   #18
Incredible

Battle Record: 6-15

Incredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant futureIncredible has a brilliant future

@Finnydot @uh-oh thank you for all the info that's cool of y'all. I normally don't use samples. Don't a big fan of them. One thing I did notice is that no one else added a sound of their own is that a typical thing in sample tracks?? Been making for a min it just has been a really long time. Oh yeah and I used FL to chop and make the beat and yeah used FL studio drum kits. Need to find that thread poet posted a bit back with a dl link for drum kits. Thanks again for all the advice.
Incredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:25 PM   #19
uh-oh
DA GOD

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible View Post
@Finnydot @uh-oh thank you for all the info that's cool of y'all. I normally don't use samples. Don't a big fan of them. One thing I did notice is that no one else added a sound of their own is that a typical thing in sample tracks?? Been making for a min it just has been a really long time. Oh yeah and I used FL to chop and make the beat and yeah used FL studio drum kits. Need to find that thread poet posted a bit back with a dl link for drum kits. Thanks again for all the advice.
im basically 100 percent samplebased. outside of a bassline here or there, but its mainly because its what im good at. its hard to introduce outside sounds in and have it mesh, and im not musically trained to be able to just lay down coherent melodies and shit that feed into it

but yea man. the fl kits can be pretty limited, and while its gotten better it is still originally a program made for electronic/techno type music.

but yo i just logged into my old mediafire heres some kits from jake one and cardiak

http://www.mediafire.com/file/grym85...drums.zip/file

im sure it will have anything you'll ever need. one thing that good to not fall into is having too many sounds lol. the simpler the better.

like jake one for example put out a kit a couple years ago of the drums he used on songs, like each songs drums in folders. like half of them all used the same kick and snare. etc. its good to get some go to's and when you get to a point of being able to color them and layer other shit on them to tweak them you'll be ready

but word the key is don't overwhelm yourself lol. its a deep pool and its fine to tread water in the shallows. too many people try and dive into the deep end and quit lol
Old 04-21-2020, 11:21 PM   #20
Pharaohs Army
Banned

Battle Record: 6 - 14

Pharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant future

@I got shine

If you sped up your beat a little more it would have been better.
Just an opinion
Pharaohs Army is offline   Reply With Quote