Old 05-13-2020, 06:33 PM   #1
Inno
Ad mini tator

Battle Record: 26-54

Champed
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Inno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond repute
Default GWL WEEK 8 MAG: HORROR WEEK!!

GWL Mag Week 8:HORROR WEEK!!!

Intro:

What up folks and welcome to week 8 HORROR WEEK LOL. If you've been doing this as long as I have then you know horror or horrorcore is a staple of the topical scene. Anyway last week was an outstanding week with the new entries droping some fire. Also we had another change in the champions, our 4th one this season whaaaa? @Bodey managed to take the W from @Scar, what a match that was. @Clutbuck came back and successfully avenged his DQ lose against @Universe. What a fucking season so far right? We still got a couple more weeks to go until playoffs so we still have time to keep making this season a great one. We have a quick little showcase for @Johnny 6 feet and his film career so look forward to that lol. Hope you all enjoy the MAG LETS GOOO!!!

WEEK 7 PICTURE CHALLENGE: REVIEW
By: Inno

Noetic

Quote:
(login data entry from 18.5 years in the future)

day six thousand, seven hundred and thirty five
isolated from the world and forced to be locked inside
corona done came, but what came next was worst
murder hornets with gats, bandanas, and no shirts
they were killing everyone, and shooting in the streets
forming an alliance with Mara Salvatrucha thirteens (MS-13)
our only hope was finding a way to get a message to ja
ja rule where you at, he died in a fire, but the fyre was not
it was pandomonium, and even god in heaven
was distracted by the fact the undertaker threw mankind off a cell....
in nineteen ninety seven
food supplies low, i masterbate daily
rockin hospital clothes my hobo friends made me
xray my penis, and then my head and mouth
i'm an ass fucking goblin with penis shaped monoliths... placed around my house
lol don't know how serious noetic took the topic but this was interesting lol. im assuming this is more how noetic writes his topicals, with a heavy hint of sarcasm and humor. I like this approach because its a refreshing look into some of these topics. I can appreciate a different perspective and this was certainly one of those. only problem I have with this is that its a bit scattered with the references. other than this this was a cool little piece with a unique take on the topic.

Scar

Quote:
feels like a mouse trapped without the cheese
or a house cat shaking hands without the treats.
worked for scraps like "soon this bastard will earn himself a feast"
all i have to show for? a bare ass crack exposing in the breeze
i'm totally up the creek, wading through shit and piss water
i'm getting sick of all this. alternating between not giving a shit to frequently gettin pissed on
that what being caged up does to you
it tugs your muse. tough lovin, aunt Steph hugging and hugging until our blue
then keep hugging - straitjacking the love from under you
days of thunder 2.
a bradbury sound
when i see dark clouds, i imagined out loud about how it would fee likel to sale an ocean cruise
i just wanted to be ship captain, is it too much to ask, man? s'all i wanna do
fuck it, Jules Verne supports me. Me and Nemo will seek the treasure chest
we have to, cause we're both drowning in 20 thousand leagues of fuckin debt
nice take on the topic my guy. this was a dope look into a different perspective to the pic. it was clever because its not exactly evident in the picture. the quick phrasing and repeating of certain phrases was a nice touch. The ending was a surprise but a welcomed one ttbh. settled the picture and your take on it nicely. so far my favorite but I've only read 2 lol this has a good chance to win though.

Johny 6 feet

Quote:
Cold Shoulder

When it finally happened it was a shot to the mouth
I arrived to start the day... but the bastard locked me out

'Your services are no longer required. You're fired.
Please hand in your uniform.'

My gate pass expired.
Now I watch as my old boss goes off the rails
Makes a killing in the stock market, trades that are heartless
Careers destroyed, houses condemned, value dropped in sales
As long as his check balloons, who cares if loans are paid regardless?
His right side is off limits, where I set up my office
Curbed the worst of his instincts since I stepped up, a novice
Now his ego rides around with him, flashy suits and sex appeal
Cocaine in his brain singing 'Satan, take the wheel!'
I watch disaster from the side-lines since his brain was taken over
A vigil in the cold chill, the Good Angel on his shoulder
ok so this is a tale about a dude who goes crazy after his brain is taken from him? interesting piece here. I gotta say its going over my head a bit. I like the way the story progressed and the theme you kept up was dope. maybe the ending is to vague for me I don't know. aside from that this was a creative take on the topic for sure. I'm sure the voters will have less of a hard time figuring out the plot to this. despite my ignorance you showed your writing skills and I can definitely understand that lol

Artifice

Quote:
I know the nurse said not to stray, to stay near his bed
but fear crept in while he slept so he walks to clear his head
as these flashes of the past bleed into the present
his beleagured brain strains to try & keep assemblin'
some meager semblance of his current identity
but shadows of himself keep eclipsing who he's meant to be
finds his little hands wrapped around a chainlink fence
wide-eyed watchin' a ballgame, young nose pressed against
his childhood reflections remain in his glazed eyes
dementia sets in, the pupil returns as his stay wide
straightjacket of the mind latched & trapped him in
can't face the disease, afraid he sees it lookin' back at him
& the saddest part of all is all that's eventually left
is the pain of this disease he can't remember to forget
ok dam this was fucknig dope. what a great way to paint the picture of a man looking back to who he used to be in the split moment he remembers who he is lol. I mean that's clever and dam well written. I like how you used his nostalgia to set up the inevitable outcome to his plight. in this quick verse you managed to capture that moment and it was fucking dope to read. nicely done

Universe

Quote:
Being Human

I found myself staring at everything I wanted through a chain link fence
A big brain invents envy through causalities chain of events
It may be less human than assumed but I don't feel betrayed just yet
The A.I. threat must be subdued or they'll delay the specs
All statements read, I couldn't have told them an easier way and yet...
The DNA of apes reflect when nanotechnology retraced their steps
This is the best candidate they invented, so before I let the trade commence...
I plugged into its cranium, just to see what the wavelength said...
"When I awoke today in bed I remembered my anus bled
I thought 'If they take my meds can I at least get a change of sweats?'"
What a primitive angry guest, it's what I can't replicate in tests
But it's everything I will become... one day...

Once I take its flesh.

Keep staring human...

01101101 01110101 01100101 01110010 01110100 01100101
word this was cool from start to beginning. you took the perspective of the AI which was tricky but you pulled it off nicely. honestly I thought this take would of been a more common one. at least the way you presented it. subtle hints here and there and then the ending drops the hammer. AI is the next evolution of mankind. well done. one of my favorites tis week for real!

Adverse

Quote:
Have you ever heard the one about the artist who had his brush confiscated?
They took his paint, canvases and his illustrations
They locked him in a laboratory basement, swallowed the key, straight ate it
Now they peer through a two way mirror to check how his days is
On day one he paced impatient, looking for any way of escapin’
Days 2-2000 he did the same shit
Until that fateful morning when the researchers came in
And saw a pair of legs just danglin’
He hung himself with a chain of raiment
But before that he crafted one last masterpiece
The once bleached lab was spotted with splattered ink
But among the smeared scarlet was a glaring red note “alas you see...
You can take my sketches, my free will, beat and batter me
You can banish me, make me a mockery push me to the absolute brink of sanity
And I admit it may be maddening but it does nothing to change the fact
That I can never change, it’s in my blood to write these tragedies.”
ha! another dope take lol I love these challenges. anyway this was dope aswell my guy. trapped away from the instruments that made you an artist. or at least that what they thought to do when they locked you up. but true art is not brushes and paints but the spirit of creation lol. this was an outstanding entry this week ad. could be a winner we shall see though.

Bodey

Quote:
son of a bitch dude, my brain is goin spastic
threw my skull and cracked it, to get it out, detached it,
tossed it in a barrel loaded with sulfuric acid
she told me she was broken, but so am i, whatever
we're broken-up as people. broken fuckin records
in search of needles that'll never hold the pressure
take my left hemisphere, i only need the right one
i have no logic here, i'm a weird left-handed little python
let bye-gones be bye-gones but leave left-handed comments
foot-in-mouth is back in town, i'll see you for the chompin
a new competitor joins the fray. nice. this was a quick rapid fire pace that was done well. your wording didn't stumble not one bit. I don't know how much this relates to the topic but what your wrote hints to the topic enough to make it more clear than vague, although its some where in the middle for me. good drop could of used more meat to the content to flesh it out though. hope to see you next week!

a new competitor joins the fray. nice. this was a quick rapid fire pace that was done well. your wording didn't stumble not one bit. I don't know how much this relates to the topic but what your wrote hints to the topic enough to make it more clear than vague, although its some where in the middle for me. good drop could of used more meat to the content to flesh it out though. hope to see you next week!

WINNER:

dam this week was a good one for sure. we had some dope entries and a hell of a lot of votes. that's dope man I love to see this level of participation lol. anyway this week was a tough so lets get down to the votes!!! ok so after the vote tally its 4 votes for @Universe, 3 votes for @Adverse and 2 votes for @Artifice. there you have it folks Universe is this weeks winner! congrats and thanks to everyone who voted. see you next week!

POWER RANKINGS!

1. Bodey

Quality Wins: adverse, scar

No-show wins: 0

Record: 5-2

2. Scar

Quality Wins: universe, Inno

No-show wins: none

Record: 4-1

3. Lars

Quality Wins: Universe, Adverse

No-show Wins: none 1 DQ

Record: 4-1

4. dead man

Quality Wins: adverse, Inno

No-show Wins: 2

Record: 4-2

5. Inno

Quality Wins: Ender, candy

No-show Wins: none

Record: 4-2

Week 7: Reviews
By: Inno

Artifice vs Johnny 6 Feet

ok so this battle was against 2 new dudes to the dance lol. artifice is an old vet and has competed in these leagues a couple times. he's no slouch is what im saying. on the other side you got johnny who is new to NC but not new to the writing scene as he took the W in a nail biter. johnny took the topic with a literal take. writing about an acrobat who falls due to an accident. painting a picture of a man on his last days remembering the good times. although alone in his pain he has someone his side who is helping him see it through. whole artifice took a more abstract road depicting a man is in-between realizing he needs to sober up or fall to his addiction. a find line to teeter on which is a dope take on the topic. both dropped some fire and it went back and forth in the votes. in the end johnny took it bye one vote. great battle gentleman!

Elfo vs brokenhal0

ok so I gotta give props to halo for jumping in and dropping with such little notice, props. anyway this was a one sided battle with elfo dropping a surprising diss piece to halo. it was a clever way to take the topic and elfo did it justice. not to manty people pull of a diss topical but elfo did this week with charisma and humor. his verse was well written well thought out. halo on short notice dropped a layered piece with a deeper meaning. totaling different take from elfo but it was a cool contrast to what he did. I gotta say I enjoyed halos attempt but it seems it got lost a bit in the fog of trying to be a little to complex with the meaning. in the end elfo took the W with a charismatic piece that the voters appreciated more. dope battle gentlemen!

dead man vs Adverse

this was probably a candidate for BOTW foreal. both took complete opposite takes to the topic which made for a fire battle. on one hand adverse portrayed the man attempting to kill himself and his mindset. painting a picture of what a person is going through when thinking about suicide. a well woven tale about the guilt some one goes through. powerful piece indeed. dead man on the other hand took the perspective of someone down in the street witnessing this go down. the genius part of deads verse is his character is aloof to the man attempting to kill himself. but towards the end realizing he has alot more fault to the mans plight. what a dope battle my guys. I enjoyed reading both. thanks!

Vulgar vs Pharaohs Army

this week vulgar decided to grace us with one of his famous topicals lol. srsly thanks to V for subbing in last minute. now this topic was not an easy one because its really abstract but also very predictable. the black sheep. V wrote about a doctor who is part of a people who got casted out by those opposing his people. although this is true, he is still a doctor and looks past that and helps those who have been most cruel to him. now you might think how is this related to the topic? well lets be honest, most of us would not do that. shit all of us tbh. self preservation right? well this doctor goes against the grain lol. PA took a more literal road in a sense. its obvious from his writing that his focal point is that his main character is a literal black sheep to his family, choosing to be a liberal in a house full of republicans. I could see PA winning this with that take but I think the voters gravitated towards V take as it wasn't as literal and left room for interpretation? or maybe V was just better technically. this was a cool battle and I enjoyed both takes. thanks gentleman!

[Universe vs Clutbuck

most anticipated battle since uni vs clut 1 right! lol I was waiting for this one tbh. it didn't disappoint in terms of outcome, it was shocker ending lol. the topic wasn't an easy one to be fair. an abstract pic of some weird monster picking heart flowers. right? anyway uni decided he was gonna twist the picture into a diss topical towards clut after the controversy and rivalry these 2 have. while lars decided to write about Mario in the early stages of dementia. I mean what a clever fucking take on an other wise vague topic. it was a battle worth reading but in the end the voters were not feeling Unis diss and sided with lars' Mario take. I don't if Uni would of took lars out with a regular piece tbh as the Mario take was an outstanding take on the topic. well done gentleman!

Noetic vs Blue Bayou

well this one was a good battle from the get. this topic was another vague one but it has its cliché outcomes. I didn't know what to expect from noetic but I was pleasantly surprised. he took ther topic in the more literal sense depicting writers block as the monster in the pic. clever boil you. anyway it was an interesting read and honestly I thought he won this one. on the other hand blue dropped a more direct approach choosing to speak to the reader directly. it was a nice take and it payed of for him as he took the W from noetic. I personally thought he did a great job with the content but failed to really incorporate the topic in a more obvious manner. anyway it was one sided as far as the voters thought. good shit bros!

Contenders: Inno vs Ender

first off I want to thank ender for showing up I appreciate the competition for real. ok so I chose to write about soldiers and what they go through to be broken just to be built back up. the struggler of losing your youth for a cause you believe in. ultimately coming home and becoming a walking corpse as their true selves died long along with their youth. ender decided to paint a picture of a serial killer? or at least the events that lead his character to kill someone. interesting take but I feel like the ending wasn't enough to bring story to a satisfying end. I think that's what the voters picked up on and gave me the W. thank you again to ender for showing!

Champ Match: Scar vs Bodey

PHEWWWW what a fucking champ match amaryte? bodey once again showed us that she is a top tier writer. this piece had such dope imagery from the get. the way your write always showcases incredible imagery tbh. you showed emotion as well which is another one of your strengths. overall bodey the story of a mental patient was a clever take to the topic. definitely a fresh take homie. you did your thing. as far as the pic goes scar took a more direct but still a bit abstract take to the topic. telling a tale of a person lost at see got countless days. meeting a friend in a mouse as sort of a last ditch effort to keep her humanity alive. it was dope take but I can see that it was rushed as you had alot of errors through it. nothing major but enough to hinder the piece a bit. also I think if you would of wrote a little more about Wilson and your character it would of made for a more gripping piece. overall a dope ass battle and a dope champ match thank you guys!

WEEK 7: PREVIEWS!
By: Adverse

Shout out to GWL competitor Johnny 6 Feet for starring in this short film "No More Room in Hell" in the illustrious role "arsehole in the blue" I guess when you've got 6 feet one is bound to end up in Hollywood's doorway. I haven't yet watched but will drop a review when I do, everyone enjoy!

ADVERSE PREDICTS THE FUTURE: PREVIEWS:

Let's start off our look into the crystal ball with my favorite track off of Plumtree's 'Predicts The Future' album (I love canada this week, shout out to @Blue Bayou lol)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RkBj2y29x7A

CHAMP MATCH: Bodey vs Inno

I still find it amazing that Inno is running the entire league, writing for both the GWL/NBL mags and has found success in both leagues. Shouts to him. He won a dogfight against Ender last week that landed him in this position, parallel to a self doubting Bodey who is just leaving a path of destruction in her wake. I think it will be tough for Inn to match her energy here, but if he brings it it could be close. I picked the topic pic for the match this week and am excited to see their approach. BODEY WINS 65/35

CONTENDERS: Clutbuck vs dead man

Two established writers going head to head for the first time this season. The accolade list between these two is no doubt miles long and it will be interesting to see who can "out-vet" the other. Lars is coming off of successfully getting revenge against Uni last week, while Dead Man stopped a small losing skid by besting yours truly. This will be a good contrast stylistically, expect amazing verses from both sides. If i had to pick i think Lars will eek this one out. Good luck. CLUT WINS 55/45

Elfo vs Artifice

Elfo has been shown to include some meta-comedy into his verses as per last week. Artifice has shaken some rust off after losing a heartbreaker to Johnny last week, i don't see him dropping 2 in a row. Good luck guys ART WINS 75/25

[u]Hensley vs Sinacog[/[u]

Hens is a text battle legend but has no topical history that I've seen but as seen with Blue Bayou earlier this season, he may surprise us. Sinacog could be beat by a mentally disabled ferret at this point soooo HENS WINS 200\0

Ender vs Johnny

Ender came up just short of a championship bout last week while Johnny impressed in his first showing vs Artifice. Ender has been shown to write solid narratives but i think Johnny keeps his head of steam and rolls on to a win. ICARUS LIVES! JOHNNY WINS 60/40

Universe vs Requiem

No idea who Requiem is but Uni has lost a couple tough matches back to back, i think his bouncing back moment happening here is indefinite. UNI WINS 90/0

THAT'S IT FROM ME BOYS AND GHOULS, HAVE A DOPE HORROR FILLED WEEK, ADVERSE OUT.

Week 8 Interview FT: Inno & Adverse
By: Universe

Inno,

You've done an amazing job thus far in bringing us the weekly mags. What is the most difficult part in putting these massively detailed posts together? And on the flip side, what part do you enjoy the most?

well to be honest for me its more tedious than difficult. again ill im doing really is copy and pasting most of this stuff and adding a comment to each section. since I have 3 kids it becomes and all day thing as I keep getting distracted with meals and making sure they don't kill themselves, you know parent stuff lol. on the flip side I enjoy all of it tbh. it keeps me dedicated to the league because if im helping to write these mags that's means there's a demand, if there's a demand that means the league is running smoothly.

You seem to have a deeply metaphoric style rooted in poetry. Do you have some sort of background in this form of writing? What inspired the current style you have today?

ive been writing poetry since before I joined my first board back in 99. yeah I go back as far as most of you it seems. but yeah ive always written poetry its honestly how I got into boarding. my boy ask me to join his crew cuz they needed a poetry guy for their crew battle, remember those? lol. so I did and haven't looked back. as for my current style, tbh I try to make it more poetic on purpose as no one does poetry anymore and I feel like if keep it alive more people will try it.

You had a classic battle against dead man near the start of the GWL... Some people, including yours truly, felt you had yet to top the level you reached in that matchup. Then you dropped your verse in the contender match up this week and rebounded. Do you feel you write to the level of your competition?

hmmmi don't how to say this without offending some one so im just going to say it. yes. lol. but that's only recently tbh. I tend to leave writing to the last minute in dam near everything I write. its just how I thrive better, if I think about it to much I tend to over complex things and get in my head and not write anything. this league has forced me to change that as the competition is fierce every week

You find yourself looking down the barrel to your first Championship match in the GWL. What are your thoughts about going up against the new champ Bodey?

ill be honest I think I over looked bodey as some one who would be a threat in this league as shes never competed. I should of known better as ive always read her pieces in the OM and nothing has changed. the girl can write her ass off. shes got this ability withy imagery and story telling that is top notch, one of the best. also her raw emotion in each piece is a welcomed obstacle. I look forward to sparing with her this week, although I think its gonna take alot from me to beat her as she's been on a role this season and shes only getting better. good luck bodey!

There's always a fear of swaying in this league, so people generally don't give their opinions on the results of the votes as they come in. Is there any battles that stand out to you in terms of not agreeing with the results? If so, how do you believe we can rectify certain judging aspects to make the voting more stringent going forward?

honestly I haven't seen a better voting crew than this seasons voting crew. I haven't seen one battle go the opposite way of who I thought won after reading. its outstanding to see people break down the verse in the way you guys have done all season. I think we don't have to worry about that here though as tropicalist tend to be fair even when there is drama a foot lol

What is the origin of the name "Inno?" Can you tell us a little about the path that led you to this site?

that's long story but sure lol. ok so i started back in 99 as "sick sense" lol yeah i know. anyway went from 99-03 at my home website Rapcityz.com don't bother its gone now. from there i went to the army and came back lived my life met my wife and had kids. back in like 07 i was finally able to afford my own laptop and one day i was looking at my old poem book and decided to search for message boards. found RB went under the name Fat Sajak. stayed there for 3 years until 10 where i saw @witty talking about this website netcees.com. joined that and have been here every since. the name Inno is short for Innovator which is a name i took from a dude who i looked up to at my original site. decided to pay homage and name my self that lol.

How do you choose the topics every week? Where do you find these images and is there a weekly theme behind them? What decides who gets what image?

i know you guys think im putting this well thought out plan together every week but its not as deep as you may think. everything and i mean everything outside of match ups is random. obviously i have to keep some kind of order with matching people every week. aside from that, topics and themes are random. themes honestly happen by accident as im looking up images i find myself picking similar pictures so it becomes a theme. i do try to pick different themes though as to not do the same thing every week so i guess its not as random as i thought lol.

Do people vote for themselves in the Pic Challenge? I need to know this... lol.

lmao noetic did im not gonna lie lol. but he did vote for someone else tho in the end. that's the only case, everyone else has been pretty dope about the picture voting which i feared would be a problem but it hasn't been so far. obviously no ones breaking down the pic entries but its been fair up to this point. i don't vote for any if your thinking that lol

Tell us a little something about your awesome dog in your profile pic.[

lmao that piece of shit lol. nah before the league started ive had the same avy for almost a year now so i thought to change it. give me a fresh look yah feel lol. the dog is a still of a gif. the dog is suppose to be dancing on his hind legs its a funny video with some funny music, i thought it was clever lol.

Any last thoughts for your faithful readers?

i don't have much to say but thank you for allowing me and adverse to facilitate you guys with a place to write. that's all i want. to be a part of a dedicated writing group that has passion for what they write. its always been why i keep coming back to this. not necessarily the accomplishments that come with the league but the community. i still enjoy reading this shit so thanks for giving me something to read lol. its a pleasure and i hope to continue on this path of topical guru!! lol jk

Thanks for your time, Inno. And good luck this week!

Adverse,

You are currently in the GWL, NBL, and assisting in putting together the mags every week. How do you juggle these? Which one do you enjoy doing the most? And do you feel doing all three waters you down at all?

You know, I used to think that might be the case until I took a couple weeks off of the NBL to focus on the GWL and I just felt kind of empty doing so. If anything i think they all compliment each other because they're on such different sides of the spectrum. I don't have to sacrifice content in one particular league to improve my product in the other because they're such different bodies of work that they never really cross paths, ya know?

Describe for us your writing process. How do you start? What environment do you like to be in? (I ask that because you asked me that very question, thus tipping me off that you have a specific environment lol, or am I wrong about that?)

When I used to write audio I used to have a specific work environment that had to present in order for me to write. As far as text goes, I've written most of my league entries from the seat of a forklift in a semi noisy warehouse. I can't really find the time to write in a day so i have to squeeze it in wherever I can, luckily when i get into a writing zone everything else kind of just fades into the background of what I'm writing. It's the only thing that matters at that point.

What made you decide to go with "Adverse" for your name? Also, tell us a little bit about your background and how you got started here at Netcees.

"Adverse" has been my alias for some years, a constant collaborator of mine and I brainstormed it up, previously I had been known as "Young Dolla" or just "Dolla" and as I started to write more intricate shit I felt my name had to mature as well. The name "Adverse" really speaks for the subject matter i write on (especially when i used to record)

Oh boy my origins huh? Well i started rapping in 2006 at the age of 12 on a small forum called "rapnation.com" which i think is a dead domain now? Anyways there was probably 20 active members at the height of it. ALIEN of NC1 fame was a member there and brought me over here in like 2009? I competed in the summer classic in 2009 and 2011 before i shifted my focus solely to audio. Around 2016 i came back around and competed in the AOWL, i had never competed topically before that, made it to the champ match which I ended up losing to Artifice (glad to see him back) after that i went on another lengthy hiatus until I came back in January. This is probably the longest time I've been active consistently.

You've mentioned several times that you felt your writing was "inconsistent". What is the biggest hurdle creatively that you feel you have to overcome when you receive a new topic? Do you suffer from writer's block at all? Would you describe writing as a love/hate relationship?

I describe my writing as inconsistent because some days i could write such descriptive scenes, I could make my reader smell what I do, see what I do, be where I am. And then other days i can't even convey the color of grass lol, it's frustrating, i have fell victim to writer's block plenty of times, which is actually why I put my audio tenure on pause because I had just gotten to the point where I said everything I could. Writing for 14 years wears on you. But kudos to Inno and whatever forces may be because I haven't been totally stumped in the GWL yet. Yes It's definitely a love/hate relationship I'll describe it in a line I wrote awhile back. "I should give up writing man, I hate to do it/but if i hate the music why would i face the music?"

You bounced back huge this week against dead man, and although you came up short in a close back and forth, it was an impressive verse. What differed from the previous week where you seemed to struggle more? Did you approach anything differently? Write in a different mindset/environment? Can you pinpoint any subtle changes that may have led to this drastic swing?

I took your advice mainly, and just the majority of the feedback I got against Bodey in general. I think I was writing topicals like I used to in that verse. In my recent verses I've tried to fuse in poetic language and paint more vivid imagery, which I've been influenced a lot as a writer to do so by Dan Campbell of 'The Wonder Years'. I think i tried to set this scene showing character interaction and what not and in doing so accidentally drowned my piece in dialogue and nonessential parts. Telling stories more from the narrator's perspective is where I've shined thus far, as you call it that "god voice," I was disappointed I didn't win after doing a lot better critically but in the end hanging in there against someone as talented as Black speaks volumes, so i was happy with that.

Sometimes the GWL voting system can be very... political. Do you think people vote based on favoritism and not on the actual verses? Is there a strategy behind some of these votes? Like hey, if I vote for him he may vote for me... etc.

I don't think we have too much of the "scratch my back ill scratch yours" mentality in the league. I do think however that topical voting is COMPLETELY different then text voting in the respect that a topical is dependent on its reader while a text battle verse is cut and dry, either a bar is dope or it's not. Topical outcomes however really depend on the reader and how they interpret it. A topical verse is really up for interpretation and just because something doesn't resonate with me doesn't mean it won't hit somebody else in the heart you know? A lot of times voting comes down to personal preference, but I don't think the voting is biased beyond that.

Here's a question everyone has been dying to know the answer to: Why do you consider yourself "rap's Alanis Morissette?"

Shout out to Canada lol. Well, when I think of Alanis i think of a one of a kind musician, she really set her brand apart from the very redundant pop craze of the late 90s - early 2000s. She makes honest music, and writes stuff you wouldn't expect people to just throw out there. I want my writing to be akin to hers in that respect, I love stability and routine but if throwing in some unpredictable material makes writing that much better. Also a shorter answer would be i just like making obscure pip culture references lol

Any closing comments?

Just want to say thank you to everyone who has participated in this league and has made it come together. There was a time super early on when Lars jumped ship and then Objective followed suit shortly after that I didn't think the league would make it but we weathered the storm. I think this league has been a great platform for both established writers and fresh faces alike and I am so excited to see where it'll all end up in the next couple weeks. Major shouts to Inno for saving the league and shouts to you Uni for pushing not only us but your fellow competitors. Thanks for the interview, sir.

Thanks for your time, Adverse. Best of luck with your writing moving forward.

OUTRO

ok folks we have come to another conclusion of the mag. I hope you guys enjoy reading it as much i loved putting it together. this was a dope week so it was easy to come up with content. thank you @Adverse as always and also @Universe for the interview, it was a pleasure. Thanks again folks and see you next week! Pz

@Adverse
@Universe
@Bodey
@Scar
@Clutbuck
@Johnny 6 feet
@NoetiC
@dead man
@Ender
@Candy
@Pharaohs Army
@Ouch
@Elfo
@Artifice
@Blue Bayou
@Elfo
@Echo
@Requiem
@john hensley
Old 05-13-2020, 06:55 PM   #2
Blue Bayou
Ukrainian Howlitzers

Battle Record: 41-24

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- NBL Season 3
- Alias Tournament II
- Fight Night XLVIII
- Fight Night XXV
- Fight Night XV
- Fight Night (3x)
- Netcees Battle League (4x)
- NBL Tag Team Season 3
- Lyric Olympics
- 1-2 Punch League (3x)
- Battle Arena League (2x)
- Key Grand Prix 2018 1/2
- BA Tag
- NPL Roast
- Netcees Pic League

Blue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant future

Fantastic

Great interviews and content. @Adverse I really like Alanis too lol

Shitty to miss horror week tbh
-kungfugrip
Old 05-13-2020, 07:02 PM   #3
Johnny 6 feet
Storyteller

Battle Record: 8-4

Champed
- Guerrilla Writing League

Johnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant future

I finally got my answer to the Alanis Morrisette thing! Lol. Excellent mag as usual Inno. Thanks for taking the time to write it. Interesting to see that you and I signed up to a rap board to start writing the same year. Surprised I haven't run into you earlier.

And a big thanks for putting my film in there. It's a trip down memory lane every time I watch it. Seeing myself so young and pretty. Ladies, please restrain yourselves.

It's gonna be an awesome week. I feel it in my bones.

Great work man.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:26 PM   #4
Universe
Everything's Connected

Battle Record: 19-8

Champed
- Guerrilla Writing League(2x)
- GWL Picture challenge(2x)
- Art of Writing League

Universe has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant future

Great read. @Inno @Adverse, thank you for being so candid with your answers.

Thanks for the votes in the Pic Challenge everyone, it was a tough week for me (as you can see - I fell off the Power Ranking chart completely) and this definitely helped smooth things over. I've been dying to win one of these lol.

Edit: Oh and the binary code at the end of that verse translates to 'Muerte' or Death in Spanish, case anyone was wondering haha

Last edited by Universe; 05-13-2020 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:32 PM   #5
Artifice

Battle Record: 17-9

Champed
- Art Of Writing League
- GWL Picture Challenge

Artifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant future

Props to everyone on the mag, great read as always...cool idea @Universe to do the reverse interview, enjoyed it.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:28 PM   #6
Inno
Ad mini tator

Battle Record: 26-54

Champed
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Inno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe View Post
Great read. @Inno @Adverse, thank you for being so candid with your answers.

Thanks for the votes in the Pic Challenge everyone, it was a tough week for me (as you can see - I fell off the Power Ranking chart completely) and this definitely helped smooth things over. I've been dying to win one of these lol.

Edit: Oh and the binary code at the end of that verse translates to 'Muerte' or Death in Spanish, case anyone was wondering haha
UNI sorry for the snub I’m the rankings it completely slipped my mind my bad lol
Old 05-13-2020, 09:49 PM   #7
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Battle Record: 2-5

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

PancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond repute

Great work Inno.
And the ditch in the back road stop
Could you find me?
Old 05-13-2020, 09:54 PM   #8
Universe
Everything's Connected

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Universe has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inno View Post
UNI sorry for the snub I’m the rankings it completely slipped my mind my bad lol
Meh, it's justified. Everyone else on there is on the upswing and I've dropped two straight, so makes sense.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:34 PM   #9
Adverse
low tide in serotonin bay

Battle Record: 37-28

Champed
- GWL Picture Challenge
- Black August II

Adverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant future

Dope mag. I literally lost by one vote in both the pic challenge and my battle, wasn’t my week lol
@Universe thanks for the interview I haven’t ever had a platform like that to speak about myself and it was fun. Don’t worry about slipping from the ranking I did as well, we’ve both had a couple tough weeks but we’ll get back soon.

I’m glad everyone got their answer on the Alanis question, as well. Lol great mag everyone hope you all have a fantastic week of both writing and otherwise
Old 05-14-2020, 02:11 AM   #10
Clutbuck
Battle Rap's Married Man

Battle Record: 2-0

Champed
- Gorilla Writing league

Clutbuck has a brilliant futureClutbuck has a brilliant futureClutbuck has a brilliant futureClutbuck has a brilliant futureClutbuck has a brilliant futureClutbuck has a brilliant futureClutbuck has a brilliant futureClutbuck has a brilliant futureClutbuck has a brilliant futureClutbuck has a brilliant futureClutbuck has a brilliant future

Inno, I don’t know if you realised, but 4-1 is a higher winning percentage (80%) than 5-2 (71.43%)

Me and Scar should be higher in the power rankings.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:19 AM   #11
Universe
Everything's Connected

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutbuck View Post
Inno, I don’t know if you realised, but 4-1 is a higher winning percentage (80%) than 5-2 (71.43%)

Me and Scar should be higher in the power rankings.
Using this logic, Johnny 6 Feet and Elfo should be #1 and #2, both with 1-0 records and a 100% winning percentage...

And Bodey's the Champ... Respect the belt, Clut.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:10 AM   #12
Candy
Sell Her

Battle Record: 1-3

Candy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant future

dope mag dude
Old 05-14-2020, 08:19 AM   #13
dead man
living

Battle Record: 33-18

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- AOWL Season 1
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 4
- Write Week V
- GWL Season 1

dead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant future

Fantastic work as always. Interviews are always an interesting glimpse behind the curtain.

Thanks to all
Old 05-14-2020, 09:55 AM   #14
Johnny 6 feet
Storyteller

Champed

Johnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe View Post
Using this logic, Johnny 6 Feet and Elfo should be #1 and #2, both with 1-0 records and a 100% winning percentage...

And Bodey's the Champ... Respect the belt, Clut.
I see looking at the rankings thread that nearly everyone in the league has taken at least one loss. Which shows how tight the competition is and why the title keeps changing hands.

I forget exactly how you would do a ranking system in this format. Is it most wins (excepting the champ) at the top and then descending by the number of losses? Like 5-2, 5-3, 4-1, 4-3, 3-1 etc?

But hey, if Inno wants to put me and Elfo in a completely unjustified position at the top... well... I'd think he'd lost the plot tbh.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:16 AM   #15
Elfo
~*¡c0ck~0f-d4+w@Lk!*~

Battle Record: 1-2

Elfo has a brilliant futureElfo has a brilliant futureElfo has a brilliant futureElfo has a brilliant futureElfo has a brilliant futureElfo has a brilliant futureElfo has a brilliant futureElfo has a brilliant futureElfo has a brilliant futureElfo has a brilliant futureElfo has a brilliant future

Thanks for putting the time into this guys

Last edited by Elfo; 05-14-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:54 AM   #16
Adverse
low tide in serotonin bay

Battle Record: 37-28

Champed
- GWL Picture Challenge
- Black August II

Adverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead man View Post
Fantastic work as always. Interviews are always an interesting glimpse behind the curtain.

Thanks to all
Speaking of would you like to be the interviewee for next week's issue? Been meaning to get to you for awhile now
Old 05-14-2020, 11:47 AM   #17
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

PancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfo View Post
Thanks for putting the time into this guys
Keep the original edit if you're really about that lime green life.
Could you find me?
Old 05-14-2020, 01:10 PM   #18
Elfo
~*¡c0ck~0f-d4+w@Lk!*~

Battle Record: 1-2

Elfo has a brilliant futureElfo has a brilliant futureElfo has a brilliant futureElfo has a brilliant futureElfo has a brilliant futureElfo has a brilliant futureElfo has a brilliant futureElfo has a brilliant futureElfo has a brilliant futureElfo has a brilliant futureElfo has a brilliant future

Something among the lines of some people are so depraved for attention it’s laughable

I think the word I was looking for is deprived though.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:37 PM   #19
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

Who specifically is deprived of attention?
Could you find me?
Old 05-14-2020, 02:34 PM   #20
Johnny 6 feet
Storyteller

Champed

Me. Constantly. Thanks to this fucking lockdown.

Actor's are big ol' sluts for attention.