Old 04-05-2020, 02:31 PM   #1
Inno
Ad mini tator

Battle Record: 26-54

Champed
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Inno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond repute
Default GWL: WEEK 3 MAG: CORONA VERSES FOR ALL!!!!!

GWL Mag Week 3

Intro:

Week 3 is on the horizon and battles are finally up! Albeit quite a bit of controversy due to yours truly, Objective for royally fucking shit up, @Inno has stepped up to the plate as the holy savior of Limed Text and to continue on with @Lars' vision for the Guerilla Writing League. Topics provided are interesting and it'll be cool to see how y'all flip them. I think we all owe him some thanks for taking responsibility where others have failed, MUCHOS APPRECIATOS FRENDO!

To start it all off I'll drop this track that has never failed to get me into the topical vibe for writing, hoping it'll have the same effect you as well:

Week 3 Predictions
By: Objective

These are just some honest thoughts I'm holding, whether or not y'all can relate to them or not is not something I give any thought, but hopefully it may spark some fires if you don't agree and show how wrong I was.

@Blue Bayou vs @Universe 60/40

Both are well versed in writing, no doubt. That said, I've yet to see any recent verses by Blue Bayou so it'll be interesting to see how he'll stack up against Universe's refined style. I predict Blue Bayou, if he gives it his all to edge it in his favor. Universe has been given a lot of feedback as of late that may give him an understanding of what voters on NCs are looking for. Will Universe listen to it or go a different path that may surprise everyone? Time will tell. I still think Blue Bayou is taking the W unless he's gotten demotivated by Week 2s controversy regarding the double NS battle vs NYCSpitz.

@Adverse vs @Slechtq 60/40

Adverse is a rather new writer to me unless he's been going as a different alias in the past, but he continuously surprises me with fresh concepts and pieces in the topical world, which is the only reason I'm thinking he'll take the W. Slechtq is a well known name on the site as well and can definitely hold his own when giving his best, which the 1-2 punch league champ reward signifies, so I'm not sure if my prediction is on par. Definitely a battle that may surprise readers of its quality.

@dead man vs @orrie 90/10

Dead Man is a household name on NCs and got a few accolades to his name. Orrie, the newcomer, has showed poetic finesse in Week 2 that may surprise and please a lot of readers. It'll be really tough to stack up against a writer such as Dead Man but Orrie could surprise with something new that may make it a closer battle than I think as of now. It's cool to see some new names popping up in these tourneys and it'll be dope to see how Orrie progresses throughout the weeks.

@Bodey vs @MMLP 45/55

Bodey is constantly showing her writing abilities and I got to say it has been impressing work as of late. I know MMLP can bring that fire too when giving his best, and given that he does I think he'll edge it in his favor fueling Bodey's desire to improve even further. Looking forward to this battle for sure.

@Clutbuck vs @Objective

Not going to predict my own battle, so that's a no-go along with the fact that I haven't read that much from Clutbuck yet but I know he's not someone that should be slept on and is probably underrated by quite a few writers. Obviously I'll look forward to my own battle and hope Clutbuck brings his best, and that we both pay this league justice with dopeness.

@brokenhal0 vs @Scar (by Adverse) 55/45 hal0
A late addition battle for the week this one may turn out to be a pretty good one, as we look to find out more about what Scar has to bring to the table vs the experience that brokenhal0 has from the getgo. It'll be interesting to see how this one ends up but personally I'm leaning more towards hal0 as he has a proven history as compared to Scar but i wouldn't be super surprised to see the tables turned either.

Week 2 Reviews
By: Adverse

@dead man vs @Inno

We'll start with the best battle of the week in my opinion. Both seasoned vets in the topical world and this battle really showcased that for any doubters. Both had great verses here and had their own take on a very dimly lit subject picture. In this heavyweight battle Inno relied more on great imagery while deadman instead doubled down on nostalgic visions, they both had great verses in their own regards but deadman squeezed by here with the win as this battle sets off the golden standard for the GWL. I'm sure we'll have many more great ones before this league ends.

@Adverse vs @Bodey

I really appreciated my battle with Bodey this week. Her verse really had a personal touch to it and she painted some great pictures within it, and honestly i felt like she did the topic excellently. So props to her!

@Blue Bayou vs @NYCSPITZ

An absolutely amazing battle that was such a fantast….nah Blue was noshowed by NYC and didn't post a verse so there's nothing to feed here.

@Exis vs @MMLP

Exis had initially signed out this week but was lost in translation during the switch in league runner from Diablo to Objective. Major props to him for showing in the first place but as his verse was more of a cut and dry take on the subject MMLP pushed through him with something more layered, a verse about popular video game Mortal Kombat that was more of a technically advanced attempt and that got him the W here.

@orrie vs @fraze

Yeah orrie was noshowed by fraze here but that didn't stop him from dropping a decent verse here. Though a few us that gave feedback wondered just how well it would have fared against a more technical verse?

@Candy vs @Clutbuck

We were spoiled this week with a few great battles, this being one of the best examples. In a bit of an upset Clutbuck stole this one out from underneath Candy. They both had some strong verses with a good use of vocabulary and imagery, and displayed a great understanding of what a topical piece should be.

@Universe vs @Master Rock

Uni was ultimately no-showed by Master Rock but in a sort of strange turn of events Clutbuck pulled double duty and dropped a verse for his piece to be judged against (though the no-show would have stuck either way.) Universe does what Universe does here, he dropped a well constructed verse with some awesome imagery and even got a little meta towards the end name dropping his upcoming opponent for week 3 while not breaking from his subject matter. This would have been a hard verse to beat for any adversary. Good work Universe

Conclusion

Overall we had a semi-successful week. 3/7 of our battles for week 2 ended up being no-shows which i look to definitely improve this upcoming set of matches. But aside from that we had two very solid matches (candy v clutbuck, inno v deadman) and reading such developed battles like those give me a lot of hope and passion for this league. We will persevere. So until next time folks, Adverse out!

Battler Profiles
By: Adverse

We've got a group of dope writers attached to the league going into Week 3 some new faces, some old and some of which i have no idea where they came from but all that matters are they're here now. Let's get some profiles underway.

Adverse:
Debated writing one of these about myself but decided to anyways lol. I've been writing for over half my life and fall back in love with it everytime I do. I'm hoping to make a big impression in this league and can't wait to show you all what I've got.

Bodey:
Bodey is a very talented writer and one of my favorite on the site. She finds a way every week to twist and bend her subject and add a personal aspect to it, which will make her work resonate with you long after your initial read. I think she's only to keep gaining momentum as the season progresses. Check out her audio work in the Audio section as well!

Blue Bayou:
Blue's success in battle rapping is well documented. His accolade list isn't a quick read, but if I'm not mistaken this is his first stab at a topical league? It will be interesting to see how his skills transfer over from the text battle scene here. Speculations are that he may not show and may just be helming an elaborate troll but i believe in him, i think he'll at least give it the old
college try.

Clutbuck:
Clutbuck has some site history but isn't what you'd call a mainstay of NC. In Week 2 he did manage to take down established topical writer Candy in an absolute slobberknocker (as far as narrative writing goes lol) which has definitely caught my attention. Clut's vivid imagery and vocabulary are his best weapons. This week he'll have his work cut out for him going against former league runner Objective who is a great writer in his own respect, if he can post a W against a quality opponent two weeks in a row and I'm sure a lot heads will turn. EDIT: It was revealed that Clutbuck is an alias of topical aficionado Lars, so expect big things.

dead man:
A hall of fame writer who has a decent sized accolade list of his own, dead man is a threat in every sense of the word. His style feels effortless but there's so many layers to his writing. Always has a personal touch of emotions at the center of it all. Also knows how to make his weekly topic his own. It's a threat just having him in the league but I think in the long run it'll bring the best out of us all.

MMLP:
Another veteran, I've faced MMLP a couple different times and it's been a challenge every time. His technical writing is very proficent making him an imminent threat in any topical league he is a part of. His matchup against Bodey this week will be one to watch, it's a definite clash of styles and will likely end up being very closely voted. Good luck to both.

Objective:
After a short lived stint as league runner Objective is back in the pit this week against the up and coming Clutbuck. Objective has been battling sickness which may affect his writing but if it doesn't you can expect a strong showing here from the vet as he is a proven topical head.

orrie:
A somewhat fresh face, orrie was no showed by Fraze last week but still managed to give us a a kind of dreamy, poetic tale. Some feedback givers (myself included) wondered how the stand-alone piece might be able to fare against a more technically strong topical, i guess we will get our answer this week as orrie finds himself in the opposite corner of the esteemed dead man. Good luck!

Slecht:
Same thing as with BB, i can't gauge Slecht just yet but know he is a great battler (he's currently in the Elite 8 of the 1-2 punch league playoffs) I'm up against him this week so can't wait to get a sample size of what he's capable of.

Universe:
Have high praise for this guy right here. Definitely see him the dark horse, he may just come and steal this league right out from under us all. Brings it every week, knows how to take his topic and write proficent, quickly and leaves no stone unturned. His topical verses are not much different than his long-winded open mics, just a tad more condensed. Good luck to Universe going forward

Scar
Scar is a somewhat fresh face on Netcees but i believe he's from another site (he knows Candy and others) it will be nice to get a bigger sample of his work next week and be able to assess what he's got to offer going forward.

[b]brokenhal0[/b
Hal0 is an open mic frequent, particularly in the cypher thread. He has also dabbled in se topical leagues in the past (summer classic topical, NWL etc.) He brings some tourney/league experience to the table and i look for him to be a great addition to the league.

In conclusion:

I don't think there is a single "bad" writer in this league. That being said it's hard to set anyone apart from one another at this moment. It's still up in the air at this point in the league and that's very exciting, we have new faces with a lot to prove and vets looking to add another notch to their belts. As this league progresses it's going to be very interesting to see where we all go! Thanks for your time.

Top 5 Power Rankings
By: Inno

1. dead man

DM is the top favorite straight off the bat. he is the best writer signed in right now no doubt about it. it will be interesting to see who can best him. hopefully he stays in for the majority of the season so we can get more of his writing.

2. Clutbuck

If you are wondering, who is clutbuck and why he is so high on the list? well that's because clutbuck is an alias of Lars aka diablo aka the guy who started this league. if you know about topicals you know clut is a staple and perennial favorite to champ and win any league. aside from dead man he's probably THEE best if not one of the best to do this ish called topicals.

3. Universe

I'm going to be honest. I don't know who universe is at all lol. only thing I've seen from him is the OM drops he's posted. the one about kobe is an outstanding piece that showcases his full array of talents. obviously he's a well polished writer who has enough skill to keep up with the best NC has to offer. It will be interesting to see him go up against dead man and clutbuck for the top spot.

4. Adverse

Adverse is a refreshing new face to NC. he's got a good grasp on topicals and has been active these past months. he is currently 2-0 and could definitely be the first to champ this season, he on his way. I look forward to seeing his progression in this league as the competition will get stiffer.

5. Objective

objective is a an old vet and a dam good writer who gets slept on heavily. you can expect well thought and intricate story telling with this guy. seriously hes a monster when is motivated and although he quit on decided to step on down from modding this. he seems excited about writing and that spelles trouble for the rest of you, don't sleep. objective is the dark horse of the league tbh.

Bonus: Pic Challenge!

Ooooh, this one is interesting as it welcomes all writers across the board, signed in or not. Perhaps @Diablo steps up to show up with something, or @Vulgar creeps up from the shadows to wow readers, @NYCSPITZ showing that when caring he'll fuck shit up with the pen or @Inno picking himself, lol. Either way I'm hype to see what y'all come up with on this one, and hope someone surprises everyone with the dopest 10 lines to a picture topic NCs has seen as of yet!

Best of luck to all writers and may the odds be ever in your favor!

Outro

OK folks that's it. Thanks to @Objective and @Adverse for putting in work on this mag for you all. Hopefully if everyone keeps showing and putting in the effort to write, we mods will continue to show the same effort. after all theres no mag content without you the competitor. each week I will try an bring dope and diverse topics. don't be afraid to expand your horizons because I will challenge you with these topics. if you are a true writer you will appreciate what I got coming. if not sign out and let other who are willing to compete out side of there comfort zone. no need for drama and complaining. I hope you guys enjoy this mag. Thanks again and see you NEXT WEEK!!!!

Last edited by Adverse; 04-07-2020 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Added two new battler profiles + prediction
Old 04-05-2020, 03:07 PM   #2
Blue Bayou
Ukrainian Howlitzers

Battle Record: 41-24

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- NBL Season 3
- Alias Tournament II
- Fight Night XLVIII
- Fight Night XXV
- Fight Night XV
- Fight Night (3x)
- Netcees Battle League (4x)
- NBL Tag Team Season 3
- Lyric Olympics
- 1-2 Punch League (3x)
- Battle Arena League (2x)
- Key Grand Prix 2018 1/2
- BA Tag
- NPL Roast
- Netcees Pic League

Blue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant future

propssssss
-kungfugrip
Old 04-05-2020, 03:28 PM   #3
dead man
living

Battle Record: 33-18

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- AOWL Season 1
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 4
- Write Week V
- GWL Season 1

dead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bayou View Post
propssssss
fr

thank you guys, excellent work

the power rankings are debatable lol but the profiles and reviews were dope

interested to see this week's turnout
Old 04-05-2020, 03:32 PM   #4
Inno
Ad mini tator

Champed
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Inno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead man View Post
fr

thank you guys, excellent work

the power rankings are debatable lol but the profiles and reviews were dope

interested to see this week's turnout
I know l know I just went off who I am familiar with lol I’m not trying to speak facts all based off my opinion thanks for the love tho
Old 04-05-2020, 03:37 PM   #5
Inno
Ad mini tator

Champed
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Who’s your top 5 @dead man if you may
Old 04-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #6
Diablo
Badgerdick

Battle Record: 11-2

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Diablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant future

Deadman PM’d me his top 5:

Lars
Oatmeal
Seyance
Iglos
Pent uP

Myrmidons, baby!
Old 04-05-2020, 03:46 PM   #7
Inno
Ad mini tator

Champed
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

lol
Old 04-05-2020, 04:01 PM   #8
dead man
living

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- AOWL Season 1
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 4
- Write Week V
- GWL Season 1

dead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
Deadman PM’d me his top 5:

Lars
Oatmeal
Seyance
Iglos
Pent uP

Myrmidons, baby!
facts

i have indeed PM'd this list to Diablo on a weekly basis since 2014
Old 04-05-2020, 05:01 PM   #9
Adverse
low tide in serotonin bay

Battle Record: 37-28

Champed
- GWL Picture Challenge
- Guerrilla Writing League
- Black August II

Adverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant future

I had no idea Clutbuck was Lars lol no wonder
Old 04-05-2020, 05:03 PM   #10
Ouch

Battle Record: 1-5

Accomplishments
- Lost to Kill Spree

Champed
- Wall Talking

Ouch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant future

that bitch who wrote all this didn't mention me... but whos that picture up at the top is that richard corey or patrick ewing....... was hard for me to figutre out

carol baskin... dumb bitch

I didnt read this, but I will now
Old 04-05-2020, 05:07 PM   #11
Universe
Everything's Connected

Battle Record: 19-8

Champed
- Guerrilla Writing League(2x)
- GWL Picture challenge(2x)
- Art of Writing League

Universe has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adverse View Post
I had no idea Clutbuck was Lars lol no wonder
Me neither lol. Cool mag guys.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:31 PM   #12
dead man
living

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- AOWL Season 1
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 4
- Write Week V
- GWL Season 1

when in doubt, assume the alias is Lars

so it goes
Old 04-05-2020, 08:39 PM   #13
slecht
Twitter: @ricanjq

Battle Record: 4-12

Champed
- 1-2 Punch league

slecht has a brilliant futureslecht has a brilliant futureslecht has a brilliant futureslecht has a brilliant futureslecht has a brilliant futureslecht has a brilliant futureslecht has a brilliant futureslecht has a brilliant futureslecht has a brilliant futureslecht has a brilliant futureslecht has a brilliant future

FIRE.

I am here for these mags.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:34 PM   #14
Scar

Battle Record: 7-5

Champed

Scar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant future

that was an awesome read. it got me excited for this league. good stuff everyone.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:29 PM   #15
Adverse
low tide in serotonin bay

Battle Record: 37-28

Champed
- GWL Picture Challenge
- Black August II

Adverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant future

Updated to reflect the added battlers and battle!
Old 04-08-2020, 05:59 AM   #16
Bodey

Battle Record: 1-1

Champed
- Guerrilla writing league

Bodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant future

Thisnwas awesome, thank you guys
Old 04-10-2020, 05:37 PM   #17
Razah
rockkFresh

Battle Record: 8-10

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Razah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant future

coooool shit.

is there a set schedule for the league or, playing it by ear?
Old 04-10-2020, 05:42 PM   #18
Inno
Ad mini tator

Champed
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razah View Post
coooool shit.

is there a set schedule for the league or, playing it by ear?
Sign in next week goes up this weekend