Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Forum > Discussion Board

User Tag List

Old 11-22-2017, 05:43 AM   #1
Objective
( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

Battle Record: 17-32

Objective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant future
Default The battle for Net Neutrality is back in action, I can't do much cus I'm not an American but a lot of you guys definitely can:

Don't want to pay for access to Youtube and Netflix? Don't want your internet get slower on certain sites while others get priority? Read on.

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

Some dude on Reddit:
Quote:
In order to save the internet, one of these 3 men have to change their mind and vote in favor of net neutrality. Tweet at them directly and let them know what you think:
https://twitter.com/AjitPaiFCC
https://twitter.com/BrendanCarrFCC
https://twitter.com/mikeofcc
Not many people have tweeted at them from what I can see, this might be the best way to make your voice heard.
Also:
https://www.fcc.gov/about/leadership Their individual contact information can be found under "Bio".
The three men plan to vote to repeal net neutrality. The two women plan to vote to keep net neutrality.
To defeat the net neutrality repeal, one of those three men has to change their vote. I emailed all of them using the same polite script.
Pass it on!
A thread on Reddit with more info in case this is new to you: this is why this shit is important

Feel free to copy this post and post it on other sites/forums you frequent as well.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV8ozGcGJ6o

Last edited by Objective; 11-22-2017 at 05:46 AM.
Objective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:01 AM   #2
Witty
Lime Life

Battle Record: 30-41

Accomplishments
- Only Slightly Retarded

Champed
- Lyric Olympics
- Summer Classic

Witty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant future

I already pay for Netflix tho?

Witty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:38 AM   #3
Objective
( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

Objective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty View Post
I already pay for Netflix tho?
Yeah, that's the problem with this shit, it doesn't matter. It gives ISP's (your internet provider) control over that shit, they could cap your access to Netflix or severely slow down the speed so you get crappy quality when you stream if you don't pay for premium access to the most visited sites or whatever. BUT, with a great AMAZING DATAPLAN you can get access to a bundle of services with great speeds for a set fee a month. I guess you see where this is going now. This is mostly for US people but it might affect everyone else as well if this bullshit goes through.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:47 AM   #4
uh-oh
DA GOD

Battle Record: 1-0

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

yea i don't understand it honestly

one camp preaches doom and gloom, while the other is saying its just going back to how it was prior to 2014

i never noticed any change and i remember people being against the 2014 thing too

if the doom and gloomists are correct this would be shitty

i just don't understand how things can be put in place that are in direct opposition to the majority of the people. but im still a dweeb who pretends that the government is representative of the people.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:51 AM   #5
Objective
( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh-oh View Post
i never noticed any change and i remember people being against the 2014 thing too
Yeah, the reason you haven't noticed any change is because people have protested like this the past couple of times it's come up and they've ended up shutting it down. If you want to continue to not notice any change in your experiences on the internet I advice you to do your part.

Probably exaggerated but could be extremely true for certain sites if they're not included in your plan:

(refresh the page if the gif is fully loaded)

And as someones response to that gif said:
Quote:
Well it's your fault for using giphy. Your ISP has a "strategic partnership" with imgur.
Remember, net nutrality isn't just about making you pay more. It's also about ISP's taking bribes to intentionally slow down content from rivals. Imagine what would happen if Comcast took a bribe from Bing to restrict access to Google.
It's going to happen

Last edited by Objective; 11-22-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #6
~RustyGunZ~
(ง'̀-'́)ง

Battle Record: 52-28

Accomplishments
-50+ wins

Champed
-Summer Classic VIII
-Netcees Battle League
-BA Picture
-BA TagTeam
-Fight Night Cypher I
-Fight Night XXXV
-Key Grand Prix 2018 1/2

~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute

I don't support it but there isn't much we can do imo. Those dudes voting are all makijg money off of it so what do they care if we voice concern. Maybe not though.

My eggs are in the basket of companies not playing along

Netflix and Google to name 2 giants have said they are against it so might not negotiate contracts?
FREE PHAROAHS ARMY
~RustyGunZ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:28 PM   #7
Objective
( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

Quote:
Originally Posted by $chein Dolla $ign View Post
I don't support it but there isn't much we can do imo. Those dudes voting are all makijg money off of it so what do they care if we voice concern. Maybe not though.

My eggs are in the basket of companies not playing along

Netflix and Google to name 2 giants have said they are against it so might not negotiate contracts?
Google would definitely jump on this shit given the opportunity, they're just saying whatever to stay in a great light for PR if we take into account all the other shit they've done with NSA, monitoring behavior and selling data to third parties and other anti-privacy shit they've taken part in and other money grabbing opportunities (just look at Youtube). I got more faith in Netflix being real about it to be honest.

Anyways, you can definitely do something. Just sign that shit, the massive online protests and so on is what has shut it down in the past. The more people that joins every time this comes up the more they can't ignore it.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:00 PM   #8
Finnydot

Champed
- Beat Battle I

Finnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective View Post
Google would definitely jump on this shit given the opportunity, they're just saying whatever to stay in a great light for PR if we take into account all the other shit they've done with NSA, monitoring behavior and selling data to third parties and other anti-privacy shit they've taken part in and other money grabbing opportunities (just look at Youtube). I got more faith in Netflix being real about it to be honest.

Anyways, you can definitely do something. Just sign that shit, the massive online protests and so on is what has shut it down in the past. The more people that joins every time this comes up the more they can't ignore it.
It's been well documented that the Google cooperating with the NSA and other agencies were not really their choice. Google has so much learning technology, what you browse, what you buy, where you go, they had already started these databases when the 3 letter agencies stepped in.

Whereas, the Microsoft aspect and the Xbone and Kinect 2.0 were different. That was something they offered.

Believe it or not the people who run Google are some of the most transparent and as good and well meaning ownership in almost all fortune 500 companies. Yes, they want to increase margins and government contracts help a ton I'm sure. But it's not like they had much choice.
Finnydot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:19 PM   #9
Objective
( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity Tha rellik View Post
Believe it or not the people who run Google are some of the most transparent and as good and well meaning ownership in almost all fortune 500 companies. Yes, they want to increase margins and government contracts help a ton I'm sure. But it's not like they had much choice.
They could fight it, take it to court and whatnot. Even if they'd lose it'd still have an impact on what a huge corporations stance on this matter truly is and be a role model for other companies out there. They did nothing because they'd lose $$$ on a case they don't really have to take part in. They might be well meaning here and there but it's most for show unless they actually try to do something when it comes to privacy. They don't get off that easy in my book, fuck them.

You still bring up a good point worth debating though, +rep on that. Going to read a little bit more into this so I'm sure I ain't fucking up with what I said above. The least you can do is signing the petition, the least I can do is informing others. As long as this shit don't go through I'm happy.

Last edited by Objective; 11-22-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:25 AM   #10
uh-oh
DA GOD

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

lets say worst case scenario right

comcast/spectrum/verizon/whatever internet provider decides to make youtube.com a part of a special package. to view youtube you need to pay 10 dollars more a month.

that seems shitty.

but it would also lead to other sites becoming bigger right. vimeo might be free, and could advertise that. also ISP's could become more competitive maybe? like maybe at&t or some company that has high speed internet, just not AS fast, like 15 mb/s down speeds, is 30 bucks a month, but you can view everything. meanwhile comcast or some fiber company can give you ridiculous download speeds, but they also want to charge you extra for using such and such

i dunno, it would suck for sure, but in all honesty i think a company like google/youtube would be easier to reason with, than the FCC lol. if people started boycotting their sites because they sell out for pay to use packages, we'd probably have more success than trying to get anything done through a governmental agency

but im a nerd who thinks there should be no FCC, and as little government regulations as possible.

but like i stated earlier in the thread im not sure how any of this works
Old 11-23-2017, 04:28 AM   #11
Objective
( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh-oh View Post
but it would also lead to other sites becoming bigger right. vimeo might be free, and could advertise that.
Yeah... That sounds great in theory but that's not how it's going to work. In order to force this on to you Vimeo.com will be slow as fuck while Youtube still getting the upper hand. This is pretty bad for up and coming services that could potentially be shut down from the start due to other sites getting priority or slow after watching a few videos or checking out their content so you end up at a competitor instead so you can actually do what you were intended to do. They could for example make eBay slow as fuck while Amazon get priority, moving entire people to a competitor. During elections they could give priority to what videos/articles/sites you're going to see most of or get first after search results even more than before and so on too, it's going to be a pretty shitty fuckfest. They could also give you only 2.5gb access a week/month/whatever to other sites while Youtube is free realm to view as much as you want without your internet getting capped, unless you of course upgrade to a package that got both of the services you want on it. That's why it's important to sign the petition on the site and/or call/visit/email your representatives in your respective states.

People will probably boycott but that's already expected, most people can't live without their precious Instagram, Facebook, Youtube etc. so it's not a huge loss as you'd earn more in the long run. And in areas where Comcast, Verizon and/or AT&T have monopolies there's really nothing you can do. A lot of ISP's gets their internet speeds from other companies like Comcast and AT&T and sell it to you cheaper since they're smaller and can't spike their prices up due to being popular so they'd still have to abide by their rules.

They will also be able to monitor the way you use internet in a completely different way too, so forget about the false sense of privacy you already have now because with this in full effect you will have none whatsoever if they want to. This isn't a conspiracy anymore, it's happening right in front of your eyes as we speak.

You don't have to be a nerd to be against FCC, most people are against this and that's why it's important to show exactly how much you hate this proposition. You can watch the video I posted earlier to get a sense of how it'll work in practice and get a TL;DR of it all. On https://www.battleforthenet.com/ there's a bunch of sources and so on further explaining what's going on, you can check out videos or articles they've linked to there as well.

Last edited by Objective; 11-23-2017 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:10 AM   #12
big baby
obsessed

Battle Record: Faggot-1

Accomplishments
- can recite entirety of shrek 2

Champed
- tangoed with spider man behind scenes in spider-man 2
- was candidate for gerber baby 3x
- smush parker like bb comment on instagram saying "u fucka suck idiyote"
- smush beer on head and didn't cry
- parallel parked in between 2 ferrari's in tonky truck once
- when saying pledge of allegiance i said "i don't" lmao deadass bb satan
- won tshirt from taco bell saying "taco cat" is the same backwards for filling out 500 surveys in a
- neighbor house caught on fire i call FIRE department and saved lives, was in newspaper
- set neighbor house on fire lmao
- fuck neighbor husband and wife
- first fish caught resembled david ortiz
- colin kaepernick
- related to genghis khan
- elected assistant to the vice president assistant to the president for regional chess club
- never lost game of hide and seek

big baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to big baby

i always make sure to read uhoh comments so i could do the exact opposite
If mentioned in a discussion its who'd still use wordy lines and act all dope
Then again hes had this schtick so long he like bb da bb da bb thats all folks
big baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:11 AM   #13
Amen
As-salamu alaykum!

Battle Record: 19-8

Champed
- 1-2 Punch League Season 6

Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by big baby View Post
i always make sure to read uhoh comments so i could do the exact opposite
LMFAO
Amen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:14 AM   #14
Amen
As-salamu alaykum!

Battle Record: 19-8

Champed
- 1-2 Punch League Season 6

Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen

Spectrum, Comcast, Verizon, Optimum, AT&T, GOOGLE FIBER, CENTURY LINK AND FRONTIER are some of the major providers.

Then there are the local ISPs.
Amen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:04 PM   #15
Finnydot

Champed
- Beat Battle I

Finnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amen View Post
Spectrum, Comcast, Verizon, Optimum, AT&T, GOOGLE FIBER, CENTURY LINK AND FRONTIER are some of the major providers.

Then there are the local ISPs.
:Like:

Thx, bro;
Finnydot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:46 PM   #16
Objective
( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

Someone posted some interesting facts that should make you all take this a bit more serious:

To those who falsly claim net neutrality does nothing—
(A history of net neutrality infringements from freepress.)

MADISON RIVER: In 2005, North Carolina ISP Madison River Communications blocked the voice-over-internet protocol (VOIP) service Vonage. Vonage filed a complaint with the FCC after receiving a slew of customer complaints. The FCC stepped in to sanction Madison River and prevent further blocking, but it lacks the authority to stop this kind of abuse today.
COMCAST: In 2005, the nation’s largest ISP, Comcast, began secretly blocking peer-to-peer technologies that its customers were using over its network. Users of services like BitTorrent and Gnutella were unable to connect to these services. 2007 investigations from the Associated Press, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and others confirmed that Comcast was indeed blocking or slowing file-sharing applications without disclosing this fact to its customers.

TELUS: In 2005, Canada’s second-largest telecommunications company, Telus, began blocking access to a server that hosted a website supporting a labor strike against the company. Researchers at Harvard and the University of Toronto found that this action resulted in Telus blocking an additional 766 unrelated sites.

AT&T: From 2007–2009, AT&T forced Apple to block Skype and other competing VOIP phone services on the iPhone. The wireless provider wanted to prevent iPhone users from using any application that would allow them to make calls on such “over-the-top” voice services. The Google Voice app received similar treatment from carriers like AT&T when it came on the scene in 2009.

WINDSTREAM: In 2010, Windstream Communications, a DSL provider with more than 1 million customers at the time, copped to hijacking user-search queries made using the Google toolbar within Firefox. Users who believed they had set the browser to the search engine of their choice were redirected to Windstream’s own search portal and results.

MetroPCS: In 2011, MetroPCS, at the time one of the top-five U.S. wireless carriers, announced plans to block streaming video over its 4G network from all sources except YouTube. MetroPCS then threw its weight behind Verizon’s court challenge against the FCC’s 2010 open internet ruling, hoping that rejection of the agency’s authority would allow the company to continue its anti-consumer practices.

PAXFIRE: In 2011, the Electronic Frontier Foundation found that several small ISPs were redirecting search queries via the vendor Paxfire. The ISPs identified in the initial Electronic Frontier Foundation report included Cavalier, Cogent, Frontier, Fuse, DirecPC, RCN and Wide Open West. Paxfire would intercept a person’s search request at Bing and Yahoo and redirect it to another page. By skipping over the search service’s results, the participating ISPs would collect referral fees for delivering users to select websites.

AT&T, SPRINT and VERIZON: From 2011–2013, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon blocked Google Wallet, a mobile-payment system that competed with a similar service called Isis, which all three companies had a stake in developing.

EUROPE: A 2012 report from the Body of European Regulators for Electronic Communications found that violations of Net Neutrality affected at least one in five users in Europe. The report found that blocked or slowed connections to services like VOIP, peer-to-peer technologies, gaming applications and email were commonplace.

VERIZON: In 2012, the FCC caught Verizon Wireless blocking people from using tethering applications on their phones. Verizon had asked Google to remove 11 free tethering applications from the Android marketplace. These applications allowed users to circumvent Verizon’s $20 tethering fee and turn their smartphones into Wi-Fi hot spots. By blocking those applications, Verizon violated a Net Neutrality pledge it made to the FCC as a condition of the 2008 airwaves auction.

AT&T: In 2012, AT&T announced that it would disable the FaceTime video-calling app on its customers’ iPhones unless they subscribed to a more expensive text-and-voice plan. AT&T had one goal in mind: separating customers from more of their money by blocking alternatives to AT&T’s own products.

VERIZON: During oral arguments in Verizon v. FCC in 2013, judges asked whether the phone giant would favor some preferred services, content or sites over others if the court overruled the agency’s existing open internet rules. Verizon counsel Helgi Walker had this to say: “I’m authorized to state from my client today that but for these rules we would be exploring those types of arrangements.” Walker’s admission might have gone unnoticed had she not repeated it on at least five separate occasions during arguments.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:48 PM   #17
Objective
( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

Which would make this dystopian story but could potentially become a reality after 15th December if it passes worthwhile to read:

On May 16, 2018, Robert moved to a new city. He was excited to start his new job, and lay down roots in the community. He wasn't worried about losing connections to his old friends, because Robert would play games with them every thursday night. Robert arrived at his new house and called the only ISP that services his house, "BIG ISP Co." They sent a technician the next day to set up his Internet service.
"Okay, I've got your modem plugged in, now I just need to know what services you use." The tech looked down at his tablet and cleared his throat, preparing to read from a list. "Just stop me when you hear a service you would like to use." He began to read, "BIG Movies, BIG Music, BIG Storage."
"No, I don't use those, I didn't have BIG Internet at my last house." Robert replied, "I think it would be faster if I just gave you a list of what I plan to use."
"That might be a problem, especially if your services don't fit in a BIG Internet bundle we already offer."
"What do you mean?"
"Well, do you watch movies online from services like Netflix and Amazon Prime?"
"Yes, of course I do."
"Okay, we'll add the streaming movies package." The tech checked off a box, and the monthly price for Robert's quote got higher at the bottom of the his tablet. "What about television, do you catch up on missed episodes online?
"Yes, of course! I can't be around all the time when shows are on!"
"No problem. I'll add the streaming television package too." The tech checked another box, and Robert's quote got higher again. "How about music, you said you don't use BIG Music, do you want to listen to another internet radio service?"
"I have a ton of Spotify playlists! Pretty much one for every occasion."
"Okay, we'll need to add the Music Streaming package, then." Another box checked, another increase to Robert's monthly subscription cost. "Now, how about games, do you use BIG Games to play with friends?"
"No, I connect with friends using Discord, and we play all sort of games."
"Discord, huh? VOIP service too, then." The tech scrolled through his list looking for VOIP services. He checked the box, and the quote got higher. "You play games from Steam?"
"Yes."
"Origin?"
"Yes."
"GoG?"
"Yes."
With each "yes," the price of Robert's monthly fee went up.
"Guild Wars?"
"Yes."
"Battle.net?"
"Yes."
"Star Citizen?"
"Yes."
"Candy Crush?"
"No. I don't play Candy Crush."
"Great, you're going to love the savings of not paying for Facebook games."
"I'm not so sure about that." Robert looked at the tablet. The long list of third party services had come with service charges that ballooned his rate to twice what he expected to pay. "My last service provider didn't charge me extra to use Netflix or Spotify or Steam. This seems like a racket!"
"Well, sir, you're welcome to use a competitor, then. LARGENET services the other side of town. I think their service charges are pretty much the same, so if you care about it so much, you're welcome to move. I won't keep you here."
"That's it, I can pay your fees or move?! Those are my only options?" Robert was incredulous. "This can't be legal!"
"Completely legal, sir. Net Neutrality is a thing of the past. I am a BIG ISP Co shareholder, and I would be furious if they weren't making all the money they could. LARGENET does it. GIANT CONNECT does it. We have to do it to compete!"
"Fine" Robert said, "lets just sign this thing."
"Hold your horses, Cowboy" The technician guffawed at the idea that he was finished. "We haven't even talked about your data cap yet."

Old 11-27-2017, 10:50 PM   #18
uh-oh
DA GOD

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

gotta love a make believe doomsday scenario
Old 11-27-2017, 10:55 PM   #19
Objective
( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

I'll quote you in this thread in about 10 years Uh-oh. I'm guessing that if the FCC gets what they want it'll go to court and it'll take some time until it goes into full effect, but if it does get through this make believe story could potentially become reality. It's been fought for 8 years now, last few times it's been up for vote people have made enough voice to silence them and get congress in on the action but right now it could prove to be difficult.

The post before the make believe story isn't fiction though, so we're not that far from getting to a point in time that story could be closer to reality than it is atm. Either way, that stuff won't affect me as much, but it'll definitely affect you.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:08 PM   #20
uh-oh
DA GOD

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

hopefully the omnipotent overlords at spectrum/time warner allow me to view this thread in 10 years without doubling my internet bill.

but nah man, like i've stated earlier, i cant pretend to pick a side in this argument. what i have looked into shows that both sides have their faults, and i find it hard to side with the fcc. which is the only reason i'm not gung ho about it from the net neutrality standpoint

Tags
whale pussyfart