Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- AOWL Season 1
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 4
- Write Week V
- GWL Season 1

dead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant future
Default for alyssa II

she's

pallid and small. blankets and shawls. her mirror is bleak
facing music, eyeing wanderlust. Ms. heroin cheek
scared of the weekend, very deceitful, frozen appearance
carrying demons. toner and tears. all bones and brasier.
mopey and anxious, married to sequins sewing her seams
smoking nicotine like prayer inside her mother's cathedral
heroic eagle caged in pigeon coops, co-op her retrieval
a choice between her father's voice and popping a needle
i told you once it killed me slowly watching you breathe
so heavily you sighed until your body conceded
to misery. to memory. to words from a novel
you've searched inside abstraction for an earthly revival
found empty plastic sandwich bags and mortar and pestle
bored behind norco and unimportant potential
a poor memento, my affliction, my affections in type
reflect on who you were in search of selfish respite
7 at night. walking aimlessly in search of a light
matchstick crackle tasting sulfur in our Turkish Delights
bourbon and soda. burning bright that midnight herbal aroma
she passed out dead on the sofa
words on her tongue, a can of Squirt on her coaster
Feynman in her epitaph and dirt on her shoulder
the hurt came right away but the desertion would smolder
i kinda write for you, somehow. it's nobody's business
how i chose to make your ghost a religion. alone at the christening
prone to reminiscing with a penchant for sorrow
in search of praise if only for some pleasure to borrow
better tomorrows as they promise in those meetings in rooms
coffee's complimentary and speaking is useless
modeling me after you. brave-hearted elegant sharp
i'm never far from anywhere we crept in the dark
i'm never far
we sang our songs in every restaurant or bar
but the chorus passed and now i can't remember your part.
irish breakfast and coughs. altoid can and a spoon
if i write that you're alive it almost makes it the truth

goodbye
Old 03-18-2020, 01:20 AM   #2
Objective
( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

Battle Record: 17-32

Objective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant future

Damn dude, a lot of grievance and sadness in this one packed with elegant penmanship. Dunno if this is fiction or not but it came off to me as deeply personal with a lot of self reflection and no bs honesty. Quite a few straight forward sentences that are felt throughout like the "fathers voice or popping a needle" and "pleasure to borrow"-line. Beautiful piece with lots of emotion too many can relate to. Hope you're doing ok.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV8ozGcGJ6o
Objective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:59 AM   #3
Adverse
low tide in serotonin bay

Battle Record: 37-28

Champed
- GWL Picture Challenge
- Guerrilla Writing League
- Black August II

Adverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant future

Great piece throughout but loved how it just kept finding ways to one-up itself and keep the momentum rolling. Loved the imagery and vocabulary throughout just really added to the piece and i loved reading it throughout. Good personal story and relatable as well to someone who's lost anyone.
Adverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:19 PM   #4
ACTIVATE SELF

Battle Record: 2-1

Champed
- Art of Writing League

ACTIVATE SELF has a brilliant futureACTIVATE SELF has a brilliant futureACTIVATE SELF has a brilliant futureACTIVATE SELF has a brilliant futureACTIVATE SELF has a brilliant futureACTIVATE SELF has a brilliant futureACTIVATE SELF has a brilliant futureACTIVATE SELF has a brilliant futureACTIVATE SELF has a brilliant futureACTIVATE SELF has a brilliant futureACTIVATE SELF has a brilliant future

This is right up their with the piece you wrote about your father.

In a way, it’s written almost as if it provides context and closure to all the other half written love poems and soulmate eulogies you’ve blessed us with over the years. Poignant, visceral and emotive — visual and empathetically written with both her ghost and the audience in mind. Impressive. Loved it. Peace.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:26 PM   #5
Universe
Everything's Connected

Battle Record: 19-8

Champed
- Guerrilla Writing League(2x)
- GWL Picture challenge(2x)
- Art of Writing League

Universe has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead man View Post
she's

smoking nicotine like prayer inside her mother's cathedral
heroic eagle caged in pigeon coops, co-op her retrieval
a choice between her father's voice and popping a needle

found empty plastic sandwich bags and mortar and pestle
bored behind norco and unimportant potential
a poor memento, my affliction, my affections in type
reflect on who you were in search of selfish respite

7 at night. walking aimlessly in search of a light
bourbon and soda. burning bright that midnight herbal aroma

modeling me after you. brave-hearted elegant sharp
i'm never far from anywhere we crept in the dark
i'm never far
we sang our songs in every restaurant or bar
Some heavy shit. Real or not, it was felt. And that's a job well done.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:06 PM   #6
Pharaohs Army
Banned

Battle Record: 6 - 14

Pharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant future

words on her tongue, a can of Squirt on her coaster

Damn, that's saying a lot with saying so little.

This is a very deadman piece so it's good
Pharaohs Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:23 AM   #7
Exis

Battle Record: 3-3

Exis Exis Exis Exis Exis Exis Exis Exis Exis Exis Exis

It's hard to quote sections of your pieces bro, I like some shit then like other shit lol...You have this amazin' ability to get words across to whoever reads it in some raw like fashion, yet it's emotional...it resonates...like ACTIVATE said, this is right next to that Father joint you penned up, I did read that btw...this was killer Black.

Stay safe, & you.
Exis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:35 AM   #8
dead man
living

Battle Record: 33-18

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- AOWL Season 1
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 4
- Write Week V
- GWL Season 1

dead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant future

ya know, every now and then i sit and think about how people i'll never see again have come into my life and changed me entirely by accident, and wonder how often i've served that purpose for others in some small way, without even a single fucking clue
Old 04-28-2020, 12:50 AM   #9
Pharaohs Army
Banned

Battle Record: 6 - 14

Pharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant future

Quote:
ya know, every now and then i sit and think about how people i'll never see again have come into my life and changed me entirely by accident, and wonder how often i've served that purpose for others in some small way, without even a single fucking clue
Um. Yeah. We're gonna need a verse out of this.
Pharaohs Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:22 AM   #10
Split Eight
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Battle Record: 3-5

Champed
- Haiku Writers Challenge

Split Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond repute

loving an addict is hard.

when I write, lately, I feel as if I begin by stringing together ambient ideas and concepts, then i realize I'm just typing the words coffee, tawdry, and autumn over and over and over, again, then I pass out dru-
Split Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:26 AM   #11
UPN Zuch
Spoiled brat

Battle Record: 25-3

Champed
- Now Or Never 2020
- Netcees Pic League
- NPL Season I
- Netcees Battle League
- NBL Season XV

UPN Zuch has a brilliant futureUPN Zuch has a brilliant futureUPN Zuch has a brilliant futureUPN Zuch has a brilliant futureUPN Zuch has a brilliant futureUPN Zuch has a brilliant futureUPN Zuch has a brilliant futureUPN Zuch has a brilliant futureUPN Zuch has a brilliant futureUPN Zuch has a brilliant futureUPN Zuch has a brilliant future

I don’t know you. I don’t even know why I came into the open mic forum. I clicked on this for some reason and I’m so glad I did. As a recovering heroin addict, and somebody who has seen this exact imagery, I’m feeling all sorts of stuff right now. You have a talent that can’t really be put into words.
Or pull up to ya doorstep...I’m on ya porch wavin like polite neighbors/
UPN Zuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:35 PM   #12
Exis

Battle Record: 3-3

Exis Exis Exis Exis Exis Exis Exis Exis Exis Exis Exis

Quote:
Fact is you're a influential writer, I actually try & fuck with topicals because of your pieces...the way you tackle the topic, make it your own...it's inspirin' tbh.
Exis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:10 AM   #13
Bodey

Battle Record: 1-1

Champed
- Guerrilla writing league

Bodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant future

Quote:
I lost several people to overdoses just in the past couple years and sadly, you get jaded to it all. Or your denial system kicks in and protects you from grieving them the same way you’d grieve someone who died suddenly in a car crash or a heart attack. Probably not explaining it right. But, a couple months ago, a friend of mine ODed. Didn’t even see a relapse coming so it was a real shock. This one hit hard man. And that was all I thought about, how we grew close for only a year or so before this happened. I went to the funeral and I’d never met any of her family before and I introduced myself to her mom and she cupped my face, cried. And said “So YOU’RE the Nicole she always talked about. She absolutely loved you. So much.” And it surprised me bc I didn’t realize the impact you can have on so many people and how they can forever affect your life without even realizing it while it’s happening. Idk man.. thank you for this read. Sorry for the ramble
Bodey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:34 PM   #14
Concrete

Battle Record: 5-0

Concrete has a brilliant futureConcrete has a brilliant futureConcrete has a brilliant futureConcrete has a brilliant futureConcrete has a brilliant futureConcrete has a brilliant futureConcrete has a brilliant futureConcrete has a brilliant futureConcrete has a brilliant futureConcrete has a brilliant futureConcrete has a brilliant future

You tackled a deep subject well here, the rhymes schemes was stellar yes, in addition I say you really have a way with words and conveying a specific tone at that. I found no fillers here. Probably the best I've read on here so far.
Concrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:37 PM   #15
Scar

Battle Record: 7-5

Champed
- Guerrilla Writing League

Scar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant future

man this was so good. intimidating, even.

Quote:
*chills*
Scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:22 AM   #16
MMLP

Battle Record: 15-16

Champed
- Write Week 9

MMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant future

This is crazy,

I especially like the little bits of imagery and feel in phrases like this... they really hit

just a few examples that highlight your style here

that closer is heartfelt and fire. Dope stuff all round, sir
MMLP is offline   Reply With Quote