oats
Steel Cut

Battle Record: 19-10

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

oats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant future
Default to those who follow soccer regularly

were there any players who came out of the woodwork this World Cup? I'm curious because I really don't know who was well-known aside from the megastars (Messi, Suarez, etc). Did any lesser known player make a name for themselves/sign a huge contract following their World Cup performance?

@Witty @Orc @Certain @Eŋg

Eŋg change your name it's fucking irritating to @ you lol
Old 07-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #2
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Battle Record: 40-19

Champed
- AOWL Season 3
- Art of Writing League (2x)

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

Colombia's James Rodriguez was the biggest revelation as a potential superstar (or a flash-in-the-pan, since that can happen for scorers). Mexico keeper Memo Ochoa definitely earned himself some consideration, too, particularly for his performance against Brazil. Rodriguez and Ochoa both played in France last year.

Ligue 1 players in general did really well for themselves and probably brought some more respect to French clubs. France's Mathieu Valbuena gave the performance of his life, but he's 29 and probably won't draw much interest.

No one on Germany could be called a surprise star. I liked Marcos Rojo's performance for Argentina, but a lot of that was because he was playing with Martin Demichelis and Pablo Zabaleta on a way-underrated back line. Argentine keeper Sergio Romero showed that maybe he should be getting more action, too, though again he got to play behind a great back line.

Really, most of the European standouts were known commodities. Memphis Depay showed he has a nice future for the Netherlands, but he's 20 and a highly thought-of prospect already.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
Orc
Certified Mother’s Boy

Battle Record: 5-1

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- NBL Season 4
- GBL Season 1
- Lyric Olympics
- Fight Night LXVI
- Fight Night LX
- Fight Night (3x)
- NBL Picture Roast
- Netcees Battle League (8x)
- NBL Picture League
- Gimmick Battle League
- BA Tag Team
- 1-2 Punch League
- NBL Cypher (3x)
- Battle Arena League
- OM HOF (2x)

Orc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond repute

Certain you are an American sports writer I take it? I agree with most of what you say. However, James Rodriguez is the answer to this question, for me. He previously moved to Monaco for 45 million pound so big things were expected and he really delivered. The kid was the best player at this World Cup and was robbed of the Golden Ball by Lionel Messi.
Orc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
Orc
Certified Mother’s Boy

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- NBL Season 4
- GBL Season 1
- Lyric Olympics
- Fight Night LXVI
- Fight Night LX
- Fight Night (3x)
- NBL Picture Roast
- NBL Picture League
- Gimmick Battle League
- BA Tag Team
- 1-2 Punch League
- NBL Cypher (3x)
- Battle Arena League
- OM HOF (2x)

Orc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard for people to come out of the woodwork at World Cups or Euro's these days purely because to make the squad they will have already been well known and impressed at a decent club level. Columbia's Guadrado was also impressive and I personally didn't know of him beforehand so that was great.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Champed
- AOWL Season 3

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certain View Post
Colombia's James Rodriguez was the biggest revelation as a potential superstar (or a flash-in-the-pan, since that can happen for scorers).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orc View Post
I agree with most of what you say. However, James Rodriguez is the answer to this question, for me.
So then, we good?
Old 07-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
Split

Battle Record: 27-22

Split has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond repute

Messi deserves it within the context of what each player did for his team
Old 07-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
Orc
Certified Mother’s Boy

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- NBL Season 4
- GBL Season 1
- Lyric Olympics
- Fight Night LXVI
- Fight Night LX
- Fight Night (3x)
- NBL Picture Roast
- NBL Picture League
- Gimmick Battle League
- BA Tag Team
- 1-2 Punch League
- NBL Cypher (3x)
- Battle Arena League
- OM HOF (2x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certain View Post
So then, we good?
Sure.

Split Eight, Messi did not deserve the player of the tournament award. It was the Lionel Messi award for being Lionel Messi. A farce.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Champed
- AOWL Season 3

Lionel Messi was Argentina's entire offense because of Angel Di Maria's injury, Maxi Rodriguez's age and, especially, Sergio Aguero and Gonzalo Higuain's general shittiness. But Argentina struggled on offense throughout the tournament.

My vote goes to Philipp Lahm. He played out of position and was the best player on the back line for the Germans. And he's Philipp Lahm. If you asked who the best player in the world was from 2004-2014 (as in, covering that entire stretch), Lahm's the answer. (I have a bias toward defensive players, but how many guys were in top form for that entire 10-year run?) Germany have all the offense they need from a dozen guys. Lahm held the defense together.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:29 PM   #9
oats
Steel Cut

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

oats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant future

my vote goes to Beckerman, he has dreads.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #10
Eŋg
rhyme capsule.

Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg

i thought yepes was outstanding. wily veterans >

lahm is a lot better in his natural, fullback, position than as a defensive midfielder. but he's unequivocally an excellent player.

blind was pretty impressive.

i do think rodriguez deserved the golden ball.

and i like the latin letter in my name. thanks.
Eŋg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #11
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Battle Record: 36-34

Champed
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

Adonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant future

Paul pogba won best young player. I don't know the limitations for that award, but a 23 James should have won that along golden boot and player of tournament.

I'm sure after today even gotze will be a name people will remember, he's young to.

Ochoa will get a deal on Europe some where for sure, he was a beast for a very poor defensive team.

TUPAC SHAKUR
Adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #12
Split

Split has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond repute

You're a farce. Poor coaching decisions, the coach restructured the entire Argentine offense to focus on freeing up Messi to do what he does as a playmaker/ trying to replicate Barca's style of play. It's ridiculous that Batista can't figure out how to exploit both Messi and Tevez's skillsets

EDIT: sabella not batista
Old 07-13-2014, 07:56 PM   #13
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Champed
- AOWL Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split Eight View Post
You're a farce. Poor coaching decisions, the coach restructured the entire Argentine offense to focus on freeing up Messi to do what he does as a playmaker/ trying to replicate Barca's style of play. It's ridiculous that Batista can't figure out how to exploit both Messi and Tevez's skillsets

EDIT: sabella not batista
Carlos Tevez wasn't on the roster. He's 30.
Certain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #14
big baby
obsessed

Battle Record: Faggot-1

Accomplishments
- can recite entirety of shrek 2

Champed
- tangoed with spider man behind scenes in spider-man 2
- was candidate for gerber baby 3x
- smush parker like bb comment on instagram saying "u fucka suck idiyote"
- smush beer on head and didn't cry
- parallel parked in between 2 ferrari's in tonky truck once
- when saying pledge of allegiance i said "i don't" lmao deadass bb satan
- won tshirt from taco bell saying "taco cat" is the same backwards for filling out 500 surveys in a
- neighbor house caught on fire i call FIRE department and saved lives, was in newspaper
- set neighbor house on fire lmao
- fuck neighbor husband and wife
- first fish caught resembled david ortiz
- colin kaepernick
- related to genghis khan
- elected assistant to the vice president assistant to the president for regional chess club
- never lost game of hide and seek

big baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to big baby

Insanity. Messi did not deserve that at all. Colombia has never gotten as far as they have this year. This was a break-out year for Colombia. For a lot of teams, Chile, Costa Rica. These teams are general first round knockout teams, if at all. James Rodriguez deserved the boot and the ball.
If mentioned in a discussion its who'd still use wordy lines and act all dope
Then again hes had this schtick so long he like bb da bb da bb thats all folks
big baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #15
Split

I'm on a lot of drugs
Old 07-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #16
Blanco Bishop

Battle Record: 11-20

Blanco Bishop has a brilliant futureBlanco Bishop has a brilliant futureBlanco Bishop has a brilliant futureBlanco Bishop has a brilliant futureBlanco Bishop has a brilliant futureBlanco Bishop has a brilliant futureBlanco Bishop has a brilliant futureBlanco Bishop has a brilliant futureBlanco Bishop has a brilliant futureBlanco Bishop has a brilliant futureBlanco Bishop has a brilliant future

Correction...memo ochoa been playing in france.

Also bryan ruiz from crica should get a mention.

James top surprise tho.
Blanco Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #17
Mike Wrecka
WOW

Battle Record: 29-25

Champed
- Writing Challenge League I

Mike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant future

Certain how in the fuck do you know so much about soccer without being latino or European

its unusual
Old 07-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #18
Witty
Lime Life

Battle Record: 30-41

Accomplishments
- Only Slightly Retarded

Champed
- Lyric Olympics
- Summer Classic

Witty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant future

James Rodriguez was easily the best player in the tournament and the biggest surprise imo...he deserved the award, Mascherano was more important to Argentina than Messi in the end.

Messi got Argentina through in the early stages but did very little in the bigger games.

Witty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #19
oats
Steel Cut

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

maybe Certain is Messi?
Old 07-13-2014, 10:19 PM   #20
Witty
Lime Life

Battle Record: 30-41

Accomplishments
- Only Slightly Retarded

Champed
- Lyric Olympics
- Summer Classic

Witty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant future

Blind for The Netherlands was impressive too.

Witty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buy ur old toys back on ebay, smokey the bear is a snitch