Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Vault > Archives > The Netcees archive > Winter Topical II > Archive

User Tag List

Old 01-25-2016, 12:48 AM   #1
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Battle Record: 36-34

Champed
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

Adonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant future
Default The Mag: The Hateful Eight

~The Mag: The Hateful Eight~

~Intro~

We had a the best week to date in terms of show rate as well as numerous upsets. We nearly ate shit by me allowing due dates to get pushed, I'm sorry for that but I had to in order to ensure we had a decent amount of shows. Moving forward I hope to get back on track. This week will have another feature by the one and only certain as well as my votes for top two verses, reviews and predictions.

Leggo!

~Feature Artist: Mello Music Group~

Mello Music Group is a collective of many artists and producers including Oddisee, Apollo Brown, L'Orange, Open Mike Eagle, Ras Kass, yU, Mr. Lif, Rapper Big Pooh and the list can go on with a rotating cast of contributers down to Pete Rock and Planet Asia. MMG is a record label that has released compilations as well as pure instrumentals from its list of many producers. MMG has been described as a “dedication to intelligent street-wise boom bap” If the artists aren't really your forte, which is the case for me, the beats will surely mask everything for you. Some of the best producers out that use a vast array of instrumental styles. Enjoy.

I choose this song as the opener because it's a legit topical. peep it.

Adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:52 AM   #2
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Champed
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

Adonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant future

~Round II Battle Reviews~

Pent uP Defeats GodComplex 5-2

Pent
– This verse was dope for the imagery alone. I took this as a concept piece, where you basically painted a series of images using only words, attacking head on utilizing visualization as the catalyst for the travels of the typical middle class working American on his way to work. Favorite line far and away, “Tickles my senses like fire on fresh bacon”. Right out the gate you tackled a fast paced flow where the end rhyme doubled as the inner, almost like double time. You did this well, but I still felt it maybe a single line or two too long as it grew stale just before you switched it up. I enjoyed the image of the sun rising as the guy is driving, find it weird he's stuck in traffic because even during the busiest day in LA the traffic moves when it is that early, but that is neither here nor their. I wake up and commute at this time ever day, so that image really stood out for me obviously, you did it justice. Dope verse though man. Pristine in terms of execution, solid rhyme structure but conceptually this shined. You wrote about something so boring, but made it exciting to read, a painted image of my life in all reality, great read.

@Godcomplex – Nutty read man. I enjoyed out for it's complexity, but wish you had simplified this just a tad for me. What I took from this verse is a simple man who struggles with narcolepsy, switching between dream and reality but not knowing the difference, and not caring. He eventually succumbs to what turned out to be the dream world. What I struggled with is whether this became death, which you mentioned a few times through out, or whether this meant he became catatonic. This was some what of a long read, but I feel like something could have been omitted in order for you to play a bit with the ending as to not leave so open ended and allow you to paint a clearer picture. I am however nitpicking because this was a solid read. Mechanically there were very few instances where I would have rephrased or changed. You took a tough loss here, this is the first battle I'm reviewing, but I get the feeling that this has a shot at battle of the week because I'm certain your verse was better then half the other league. Time will tell. Either way, you had a great run the past couple months plus. Take some time off and get that drive back brother man. Cheers.

Witty Defeated by Cimmerian 5-2

Cimmerian
– It seems you told a story of a broker flying from his high rise ledge in the most elegant and subtle way possible. I think I read this perfectly shortened verse ten times at least before I picked up on it. I will say I don't feel you hit the topic square on the nose, but the concept did strike it however, I don't care because this was a read I thoroughly enjoyed. I won't touch too much on the flow because it really was second thought for me, the story was the focal point. The flow was fluid as can be, but again, the most impressive part was word choice. The subtle usage and selection were vital towards progression. From the opening few lines about his title and position, (which by the way as I'm reading again you clearly utilized the topic well) to the finale of chasing ash. Yet again you penned one of my favorite of the week. I understand you prefer to write the shorter verses as do I, but there will come a time when this will not be enough, and Pent is that outlier. He'll study your style and use that against you.

@Witty – This was a verse about the creator of some sort of humanoid such as that movie AI with Will Smith. The creator made this and humans taught them, but in the end the humanoids destroyed the creators. This was a decent verse, just not the most original I'd say. The flow, per usual, spot on. The story line this week was easy enough to follow and not so hidden, I would have preferred this to be a bit more, behind the veil if you will, something for me to chew on. You simply told a story of this overthrowing entity, not touching on the why's or how or even the vulgar war that I assume would occur. In the end, this was a decent read but the voters had it right in my eyes. Your competitor penned something with more depth while matching your story. Your verse really didn't falter at all, you were just slightly out wrote. Point blank.

Argh Flawlessed by Mr. J 6-0

Jay
– A decent read but nothing special in all honesty. I felt the pain in the story, the vulnerability of this sad song, problem is I'm not a big fan of these on net or real life. I took this read as I would someone hitting me up about a go-fund-me page, sorry, I got my own shit going on. As a stand alone verse though, the flow was solid and progression seamless. You used the topic well obviously and simply put, wrote a verse that showcased your style. Short and to the point with a powerful ending. You'll never be the most complex writer, but you'll forever be one of the most consistent. Though, I do wish I could see you write an actual verse a la the one against Buddha that we talked about. Either way, move along you shall.

@Argh – You wrote about someone playing power ball or some form of lottery it seems, and spending the final dimes on this ticket of hope as well. I regretfully worked as a gas station clerk for about a month when I was far younger and shit like this actually happened often. Sad world we live in. Solid read but nothing really jumps out at me. There was little in lieu of character build up, no real climax either. I did like the few references you added though, from burning a hole in her pocket to the entire bit about refreshing browser. There was some good to be found in this verse, just not up to snuff. But if I can be honest here, if not, fuck it I will anyways, I would have likely given you my vote. Very even battle, but I feel like you had just a bit more meat for me to digest then Jay's. See you soon, hopefully.

Diode Defeats NYCSPITZ 5-3

Diode
– I liked this verse for one major reason above all else, I can sit down and read theories and articles about what you just wrote and not be bored for a few hours, so this verse played right into my hand. I took it as you simply explaining the the theory of expansion and contraction, the birth of the universe in an explosion as it continues to grow out until it finally stops, collapses into itself and starts again. I would have liked this verse to have utilized more metaphors or references to make points about some underlying meaning. Say, you eluding the expansion to life and its continual growth until she is full then collapses. Horrible example, but as is, the verse was cool, but if you used a few metaphors the verse would have been elevated into something more. As for the writing itself, I enjoyed the few splashes of alliteration, this a tool seldom used, def an old school vets tool, but it always stands out when I come across it. I will add you even used it well, often times the writer will get sucked into the trap of executing the style over actual meaning of the words, you did not. I will also add that you made it very evident you are not a poet in that opening two bars or so. Your wins and loses will be determined by the concept you can put forth because a strong poetical nuance is something you weren't able to perform. In either case, this was a highly enjoyable read for me even if it were shorter then I would have liked.

@NYCSPITZ – This was a dope read though, shit pulled me in from the start. I can't recall the name, but this reminds me of the parable or story of the guy who plays death, for his life, though I believe they played chess. In any case, this type of verse I have read before, though I thought you did it rather masterfully. From the word choice to the actions to the mood and dark scenery, you painted a complete picture while telling a full story that held every bit of my attention. I would have voted for you for that one reason, you told a story that I sat and read start to end, but if this verse had expanded into a short story of say 5,000 words, if you used the same writing style, I would have sat there and read the entire damn thing no problem. You have this writing style that is simply put, professional, I wish I could do this, but alas, I'm stuck with writing shit that I read, which is mainly articles about the world and all sorts of weird theories. In any case, this was a breeze to read my man. I feel like you went circa alias for this one, though I would have voted for you, I'm not shocked you lost. Both verses were penned well, but I felt you did more then enough to garner my vote.

Frankie Eliminated by VividlyVague 6-0

ViVi
– I enjoy writing from the perspective of the other sex, but I don't often read a verse from someone doing the same. It cam off weird, you saying “He was all man”, had me ironically giggling like a giddy school girl. I enjoyed the portion leading up to the end, where you got a bit ballsy and started giving details of the grotesque happenings. Whether intentional or not, you did switch characters from the female to the male in the final bar, I hated this very much so. The entire verse you were the female in love who get fucked over literally and metaphorically then BANG!!!! You're the rapist. I liked the rhyme structure, but for some reason the change ups in the first few bars came off a bit strange, I don't know why. This was a decent verse, but again, no where near your best. Some of the multies, though I appreciate them, came off a tad forced, but not overwhelmingly so. All in all, this was simply middle of the pack in terms of this round as I'm three verses away from reading them all. This was a bad week in my eyes, but still, you produced enough to be around top 5 or so.

@Frank – I don't man, this was a cool read, but the flow was overly simple and just didn't help out at all. The mechanics in that area simply hindered more then anything. I'm not saying it didn't flow well, I'm saying it read like a newbie would write rhymes, though the story was cool and beyond a newbies skill level. I feel like you need to evolve some how, but then again, I know you are capable of writing some dope shit any time out the gate so that's that. Your multitude of forced rhymes, multies rather, really dictated where the story was going. I enjoyed the many instances of detail and though the story as a whole was quite captivating, it was simply missing that extra umpf due to the structure I believe. All in all, not a bad verse and a far better story then anything. Voters had it right though. You lacked complexity and depth to overcome this round. It was a close battle, but in the end, I would have voted against you stating something about the structure. Until next time entertainer.

Pinot Grij Decimates Soulstice 6-0

Pinot
– First of all, I have seen that video countless times and it will never get old, thank you for that. This was a cool verse my man. Because I'm a huge sports fan I could have done with out the video, though the read would have been less effective because of it. This round you proved storytelling can outweigh the most complex rhyme structure. You did no tricks, you simply told a narrative with decent rhymes but kept focus, following your goal and eventually reaching it while not over shooting. This read is not the greatest you ever dropped, probably not even top ten, but the writing alone is better then anything I could produce personally, and better then what most remaining competitors could produce on a regular basis. I guess what I'm saying is, this might not be one of your crowning achievements, but it's worthy of still being a top 5 verse of the tourney so far. Scarey good you are sir. Conceptually, creating a fictional story about real life events is smart. It humanized the story while still allowing you the space needed to compose something out of left field. I haven't read your competitors verse but no doubt the win was well deserved. A top verse of the round in my eyes, good shit. I look forward to what sort of concept you will produce next.

@Soulstice – Hmmm. My take on this verse... You wrote from the perspective of a grown man thinking about the past and how much better it was. He seems to be at a cross road, wondering where the end is pointing towards, what comes next? He misses being young and adventurous and exciting. I liked the read my man. I actually think the voting, though correct, was far closer then the final 6-0 count. You wrote a verse that I would have voted for against all but maybe 4-5 verses out of the 14. Imagine if you had the proper time now? You have a knack for wording shit that just rolls off the page, nay, monitor, effortlessly. I feel like you could write a 12 bar verse about a dropping rain drop in a split second and still be able to fully snare my attention. I'm saying, mechanics wise, damn near flawless in my opinion. You gave me depth and something to truly digest and dissect before I was able to come up with my interpretation of the read, and that is why I love your writing more then just about any other competitor. Sure you don't play it safe and occasionally can miss the mark. But when I read the verse 6 times and finally get hit in the forhead with some idea as to what it all means, it just feels good you know? There are very few people in which case I can't wait to sit and read over and over again, like a game of chess, to see if I can't decipher the concept. You will be missed, your time was too soon indeed.

~Round II No-Show Shine~

Razah – I liked the ending, you started off so poetical and serious only to end with a bit of a farce in terms of the rest of the work. Not going to say anything about the flow as there is nothing else I can say that I haven't already. Again you did a lot with a little, using you style to portray a full length verse while using half of what a normal writer would. This verse is actually one of my favorites by you though, purely because of that ending. It hit me quick and lightened up the read some. I'm over these heart felt, woe is the world, cry for me twist endings as of late, so this verse came at the most opportune time. I enjoyed the bits of gore you added, but felt you should have expanded on it. I actually think you could have expanded on a lot of things. I can tell you write in one sitting, but I think you would be so much more talented if you wrote in a sitting, then came back the next day and simply built on the concept, adding lines between lines, playing with the flow and mechanics while keeping that same execution. In any case, you clearly have mastered your own style and it works as you reached the AOWL semis and are well on your way reaching the same feet here. Good luck brother man.

Pie – First off, I don't enforce the rules of line limits and shit until a competitor brings it up and you went over the 650 word limit, I counted something like 657 or so. I would watch that going forward, Pent would def call you out on that cause he likes winning. As for this read, it was long man, to say the least. The story itself was cool, didn't have much in the way of twists though. It was fast paced and action filled, which made it bareable, but this verse just seemed like it was missing something for me. Either character build up or even more gore, I don't know for sure, I just know after the couple of reads the verse becomes less and less good each time because of its straight forwardness if that makes sense. I guess if the normal voter only reads the verses once a piece you would have a shot at beating anyone, but I like to decipher shit, which this style enabled me of that, which in turn brings it down a peg in terms of my personal preference. It is nice however to get a complete story as this tournament has been primarily traditional topicals thus far, so point for that. All in all, you advance and deservedly for writing a story which kept my attention fully until the finish. Story approach might be good to take against Pent, either way, this verse would be hard pressed to beat his usual talent level.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:09 AM   #3
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Champed
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

~Dream Battle – Top Two Verses of Round~

Submitted By:Cimmerian
Topic: Vanities Fare
01-16-2016
Round II of Winter Topical II

His pores opened—hot towel—skin soaking
Eyes closed—Barbicide on the nose
His mind, floating—full sail, wide ocean
Wind-stroked wings, stock brokering bonds broken
Business brought attitude, office at high altitude
A fountain of youth with a peter panoramic view
Dollars made sense, frenemies, mere platitudes
Dog eats dog—canines turned to cannibals
Live by the blade and pay for close shaves
He laid twenty on the ledge, waved ‘em good day
A light in the darkness, he turned up the shade
Lit up a cigarette, opened his window a ways
Flicked the ash, tracked down its elegant path
The direction, he laughed, that the market had crashed
Breeze through his hair, swearing sea salt’s in the air
He leaned out and flew. He was no longer there.

VS.

Submitted By: Pent uP
Topic: Dreams Of Reality
01-19-2016
Round II of Winter Topical Tourney II

Dreams of Reality

Dawn of a day,
The stubble is half clean..
So sleep deprived I could trouble a crackfiend to double the caffine.
Guzzle the vaccine until the buzz is felt aptly.
The shuttle is rattling as it shuffles at max speed.
Tumultous half beings that trust I know the way
cut, cuss, and clash as they rush to get overpaid.
Carpool for one makes the accustomed road estranged -
Today I carry the weight on rusted shoulders blades.
The would-be conversation is a hum in my cabin
that's as forward moving as being stuck in this traffic.
People visualize life as monochromatic -
with highlights lived through hues from a colorful palette.
The drive imitates life and I watch how art grows land plots -
A hint of blue in the horizon of the charcoal backdrop
as hilly silhouttes form from the harsh roads blacktop.
A low fog makes the scene float and cars go blast off -
Misty windshields turn trailing taillights into thrusters.
Speed demons keep weaving but I stay right of the truckers
So I can watch the sun paint night into summer -
Then I feel my face brighten as the gray skies gain a luster.
A quaint silence hides behind the sound of tires on wet pavement
that tickles my senses like fire and fresh bacon.
Transformation of the morning expires the stress agents
and I feel ready to be the best for the first time like prior to gestation.
The doors to work -
A portal perched between color and canvass.
A formal world beneath a sunken Atlantis.
Necessity drowned by luggage and baggage plunged in our travels.
Where an artists honest thoughts switch from a brush to the patterns.
Intangible vapors expand and manage the labor -
Turning entropys equation into a mechanical nature.
Holding on to coffee like hope in a graphic container -
Separated identity defined by the craft on the paper.

They argue whether I'm blank or quite vivid -
Some say the paint is white, but I say
its stylistic.

~Quarter Final Predictions~

Produced By:Certain

Adonis chose some good topics for this round, all Martin Luther King Jr. quotes that were well chosen for open interpretation. The bracket is weird and hard to follow, but it left us with a unique set of matchups that arguably feature the four best of the eight remaining writers in two battles. Anyway, I’m an opinionated dick and probably sound condescending about the approaches I suggest here, but don’t let that affect what you do. In most cases, the ones I suggest are the ones that I think would flatter your style best.

Pent uP vs. Cimmerian | “That old law about ‘an eye for an eye’ leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing.”

Pent uP has had a tough path but came with heat last round. The same goes for Cimmerian. But this challenge is a step up for each, particularly with a topic like this one, perhaps Martin Luther King Jr.’s second-most famous quote (or an elongated version of it).

Pent uP is a very competitive person who often uses his opponents’ weaknesses to guide his direction. He’s versatile enough that this approach usually pays off, and in this case, that means going with something more grounded and linear. Cimmerian’s style is all about juxtaposed metaphors and cleverness, to go along with pristine rhyming and cadence. Pent uP should not try to out-abstract Cimmerian, especially because abstract verses often read better at shorter lengths, which Cimmerian likely will hit. Pent uP needs to grab the reader by the throat early and hold tight.

His versatility makes this prediction very difficult. Pent uP could take a dozen different approaches to this topic, but my guess is he tells a story that inverts the idea of doing the right thing and illuminates unexpected consequences. Cimmerian, meanwhile, ruminates on universal blindness and whether we can see the right path at all. That leads to a battle that splits voters, but Pent uP’s heft —he writes 30 lines more than Cimmerian — makes the difference in the best battle of the round. Prediction: Pent uP 53-47.

Vividlyvague vs. Mr. J | “If a man has not discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live.”

These two had a pair of memorable high-stakes standoffs in Season 2 of the Art of Writing League, but one of them has changed dramatically in the past two years while the other continues to grit out victories. Vividlyvague’s creativity and bombast shine when he takes his time, as he did last week against Frank in one of his best and best-written verses to date. Mr. J has more narrow aspirations, but he always will bring high-level lyricism and a few good turns of phrase.

The effort levels of both competitors makes this very difficult to predict. That’s because Vividlyvague needs time to execute his style and outright mediocre-to-bad when he rushes. Mr. J is much better when freewriting, but he occasionally goes with a deeper level of conceptual approach that is what he’ll need to beat a thought-out Vividlyvague verse. The top-level Mr. J verses come so intermittently that it’s easy to forget about his top gear, but he has one. Hopefully he brings it out.

My guess here is Mr. J will write about passion and its sources. The stream-of-consciousness verse will dip all over the place and get criticized for a lack of focus, but the best stretches will be elite. Vividlyvague will take a bizarre path to a story about a man dying for something he loves. It will get weird and lose readers at at least one point. But the battle will be good and close and enjoyable, and the votes probably will be the best of the tournament in their analysis of the good and bad of both verses. Prediction: Vividlyvague 52-48.

Pinot Grij vs. PiE | “Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.”

As I said in last week’s magazine, I hadn’t read much by PiE in a few years, but I remembered him being good. His verse last round was overloaded with rhymes to the point of near combustion, but it also was a complete story that took a few good turns and showed capability. Storytelling is a tricky approach against Pinot Grij because he does it with so much charisma. Everyone likes reading Pinot Grij’s verses, even when they vote against him because their brains can’t compute the idea of a topical battle being funny.

That’s what PiE is up against here, and I think the topic makes this a fascinating battle. It’s a really great topic that opens the doors to storytelling of all kinds or some personal introspection. I don’t think PiE or Pinot Grij would be wise to go the introspection route in this one, simply because I’m not sure either of them can bring it at the level required to win at this stage of a good tournament. But I’d love to be proven wrong. PiE has an additional impediment: It’s sometimes tough to get yourself up for consecutive matches like dead man and Pinot Grij even when the first doesn’t show because you put so much into that first verse.

My expectation is for both to write stories. Personal paranoia will be the theme for Pinot Grij, who tells a comedic drama with a pretty fucked-up ending. Meanwhile, PiE brings us a different kind of paranoia, possibly something about a dystopic future or a government intervention. I’m expecting PiE to bring it here because he has all the skills to beat Pinot Grij. How he handles his content will be key. Pinot Grij always has original content, even in his lesser verses. This will be a good battle with a few votes going both ways before the favorite pulls away. Prediction: Pinot Grij 56-44.

Diode vs. Razah | “Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.”

Razah and Diode tend to write well enough to win. I would not put either on the elite level, but they can both beat elite writers and rarely lose to worse writers. That kind of consistency is rare and should earn praise. The topic is very interesting and could lead to some confusing-ass verses, but both of these writers are experienced enough to handle it. So I am expecting this to be a good battle.

Razah is sort of like if Mr. J took his verses more seriously. He’s gotten away with an easy path to this point, beating Innovator and TYSON with half-verses via an even shorter verse and a no-show from his opponents. But he’s a smooth lyricist who can tell stories but seems better fit when he’s writing charismatic introspective verses. I think a lot of the writers who rely on smoothness struggle to tell stories because they challenge the comforts of freewriting. Diode tends to beat writers like that, though, because he’s usually on a level higher conceptually than his opponents. That makes up for any shortcomings in rhyme mechanics, as does his use of poetic devices to help the flow.

I think Diode will go with a deconstruction of the very idea of faith, perhaps in story form but not necessarily. He’ll use logic-based argumentation that probably has a hole or three in it but overall makes a sound point on the issues with religion and unconditional belief. Razah could go many directions, but I’d like to see him approaching the staircase half of the quote and the purpose of making decisions even as results and future paths are unclear. This battle is the closest — but not best —of the round to me. Prediction: Diode 51-49.

~Quarter Final Predictions~

Produced By:Adonis

Diode vs. Razah

This will be a fun read to say the least. While I can all but guarantee Diode will produce the better concept, I can say the same for the flow of Razah. This will be a battle decided by voters preference. I constantly vote against, rather predict against each writer, and am often times wrong. Each writer is very talented and this could go either way. I feel like it will come down to how much time Diode pours into his verse. If he writes a full length piece with a even a half decent concept and solid execution he should be able to overcome the impeccable flow but relatively weak conceptually work that is under 26 lines. Razah can write his ass off, his only issue is length. While I have zero problems with it, I recognize the up hill battle it is to beat a 60 line verse using half or less than. I too prefer a shorter verse but I will also try and conceptualize something that hasn't been done before, where Razah tends to perform more rap then topical, thus using the first concept I would think of while executing it a very high level. With all this said, I still think it will be close because I have yet to see that signature Diode concept that stands out above all. He has dispatched one tough competitor but again draws someone who poses a test in terms of styles. Should be a quick read none the less.

Diode 55%

VividlyVague vs. Mr. J

Interesting battle here because you both have had similar paths to get to this point. You have underperformed, yet here you are. I feel like each of you have lacked the motivation to produce that masterpiece, but hopefully this round breaks that mold for at least one of you. Mr. J will need to write a bit longer in my mind, either that or keep the length and produce both a concept that is not obvious and using a rhyme structure that is a bit more risque than usual. Do I see you doing either? Nope, not the least bit. Vivid has penned shorter verses this tournament, but if he wishes to advance he will need to come with a full length work here. The reasoning is simple, Mr. J has the more fluid style, so if he matches length he will already have a disadvantage because of that fact. I can see Vivid coming with some old school narrative here, which would play well for voters in my eyes. Time will tell, but in the end I really do think one of you is simply out matched here.

VividlyVague 60%

Pinot Grij vs. Pie

Dope battle. Pie is extremely talented but is unknown to just about everyone here. Pinot is the exact opposite, everyone knows and respects his style. Pinot is definitely the favorite to walk away on top, so as I write this I suspect Pie will actually produce better work then he did last week. Pie's read are always a bit lengthy, this is something I don't enjoy, but I realize when he fires on all cylinders, hitting stride in flow and being able to create a costume topic, he is very hard to beat. The problem is he will sometimes miss in terms of concept and just write what comes out. He's better then most writers at this site, but Pinot has been on another planet lately. Pinot is a true wild card, nobody knows what to expect beside the unexpected. The one thing I know is the writing will be crisp and and the concept fresh. Pie's long bar style will actually be a fault here because Pinot structures his lines in such a way that they read as long bar but view as short, dude is a beast in ever sense of the word. I look forward to this read, but feel like Pinot's well rounded style will just be too much to overcome.

Pinot 66%

Pent uP vs. Cimmerian BOTW

This is my the battle I most look forward to. Each competitor here has respectively been a top three performer of the bracket alongside Pinot, so this match comes too early for me. Could easily be the finals, but at least we are guaranteed to read it. Pent has a wide variety of styles he can pull out of his hat. For me, he is at his best when writing a conceptual work as he did round II, but that style would be least fitting to get him a win this round. I think in order to beat Cimm, Pent will opt out of that concept style and write more along the lines of traditional story, which is well in his arsenal, but then again, what isn't? Cimmerian will write as he has this entire tournament. Short and precise, most likely conceptual that will hit you like a bag of bricks if you actually try and decipher the verse. This is a very even match in my eyes. The deciding factor will all boil down to whether or not Pent writes a full length verse, which he often does. I don't see Cimm writing more then his typical 20 lines or so, the scary thing is, even when he writes these short lengths he's still elite. Cimm would be best off utilizing the style he has clearly mastered and not going out of his comfort zone. Should be a very interesting battle, a quick read and winner will likely be the favorite to advance into the finals.

Pent uP 52%

~Outro~

As I was feeling out a bracket, which you can find in the Chat and Predictions Thread, I realized something. We are at the final eight, so theoretically I handicapped the top 8 to reach it this far. Only one of the top 8 original seeds remain, great job Donis, you fucking lame. Anyways, as I said I hope to get back on schedule which would put verses due on Tuesday and votes due on Thursday. People complain about verses being due before Midnight, but in my eyes the due date is Monday and I give you all an extension into the next day because I wake up before the sun and won't close shit til after work. That's neither here nor their. Should be smooth sailing from here on out. G/Luck all.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:11 AM   #4
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Champed
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

Freestylings

TUPAC SHAKUR
Old 01-25-2016, 03:06 AM   #5
Frank

Champed
- NWL Season 2
- Art of Writing League (5x)
- AOWL Season 6
- AOWL Season 10

Frank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant future

VV

That's all I'm going to say

<3
Old 01-25-2016, 05:02 AM   #6
e11even
V.V

Battle Record: 31-20

e11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant future

Great mag guys. The breakdowns of the battles are always worth reading.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:20 AM   #7
UnbornBuddha

Battle Record: 23-10

Champed
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 5

UnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant future

Excellent magazine! I wish good luck to all the competitors left.
UnbornBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:30 PM   #8
Diode
PR's Finest

Battle Record: 12-7

Diode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond repute

Great job.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:46 PM   #9
cleft lipped faggot
Banned

cleft lipped faggot cleft lipped faggot cleft lipped faggot cleft lipped faggot cleft lipped faggot cleft lipped faggot cleft lipped faggot cleft lipped faggot cleft lipped faggot cleft lipped faggot cleft lipped faggot

Beast
cleft lipped faggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #10
cleft lipped faggot
Banned

cleft lipped faggot cleft lipped faggot cleft lipped faggot cleft lipped faggot cleft lipped faggot cleft lipped faggot cleft lipped faggot cleft lipped faggot cleft lipped faggot cleft lipped faggot cleft lipped faggot

Good shit
cleft lipped faggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:29 AM   #11
Witty
Lime Life

Battle Record: 30-41

Accomplishments
- Only Slightly Retarded

Champed
- Lyric Olympics
- Summer Classic

Witty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant future

Awesome, props.

Pent vs Cimmerian is going to be incredible.

All battles are strong, good luck to all.

Witty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:47 PM   #12
PiE
el es a la mode

Battle Record: 1-4

PiE is on a distinguished road

There's a word limit and a line limit? I thought as long as I was under 48 lines, my verse was OK?
Old 01-26-2016, 11:21 PM   #13
e11even
V.V

e11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant future

@Adonis @Mr. J line ext please? 700 words, or 60 lines. I may not go that long in either case. Please let me know.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:00 AM   #14
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Champed
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiE View Post
There's a word limit and a line limit? I thought as long as I was under 48 lines, my verse was OK?
I know the rule can read as "or" 650 words But the rule means you can't go beyond 48 lines or must stay under 650 words.

Vivid is asking for additional lines and that is 100% up to the doobie brother Mr. J

TUPAC SHAKUR
Old 01-27-2016, 12:20 AM   #15
e11even
V.V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adonis View Post
I know the rule can read as "or" 650 words But the rule means you can't go beyond 48 lines or must stay under 650 words.

Vivid is asking for additional lines and that is 100% up to the doobie brother Mr. J
I'm attempting a trim as we speak, and I'll post a full version in the OM.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:21 AM   #16
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Battle Record: 40-19

Champed
- AOWL Season 3
- Art of Writing League (2x)

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiE View Post
It's a word limit or a line limit. As long as your verse falls into one of the constraints, you're good. The purpose of it was for people who don't break their lines up in any traditional way.

You definitely pushed that by putting this all on one line: "Intensity, fear as Anne kills him, I hear the knife enter his ear. Double teaming reaction: repeatedly jabbing while he bleeds til he passes." Given the format of the rest of your verse, putting all that on one line felt like a way to keep your verse under the line limit, which would then mean the word limit could be enforced.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:28 AM   #17
Diode
PR's Finest

Battle Record: 12-7

Diode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond repute

certain do you still love me Q_Q
Old 01-27-2016, 10:48 AM   #18
Cimmerian

Cimmerian has a brilliant futureCimmerian has a brilliant futureCimmerian has a brilliant futureCimmerian has a brilliant futureCimmerian has a brilliant futureCimmerian has a brilliant futureCimmerian has a brilliant futureCimmerian has a brilliant futureCimmerian has a brilliant futureCimmerian has a brilliant futureCimmerian has a brilliant future

Line reduction, please? 40 words, or 4 lines. I may not go that short in either case. Please let me know.
Cimmerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:50 AM   #19
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Battle Record: 40-19

Champed
- AOWL Season 3
- Art of Writing League (2x)

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode View Post
certain do you still love me Q_Q
I picked you to win. Congrats on the Super Bowl appearance. Major recommendation: Do not attend.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:13 PM   #20
PiE
el es a la mode

Battle Record: 1-4

PiE is on a distinguished road

That's my format. Thanks, that's what I thought, but even adon said I went over, I thought I did something wrong. So like I said, my verse was good.. Cool

Tags
certains a fag