Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Vault > Archives > The Netcees archive > Art of Writing League Season IX > AOWL Season 9 archives

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 09:43 AM   #1
Adverse
low tide in serotonin bay

Battle Record: 37-28

Champed
- GWL Picture Challenge
- Guerrilla Writing League
- Black August II

Adverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant future
Default WEEK SIX MAG: BROUGHT TO YOU BY INSOMNIA

INTRO:
It’s finally upon us. The end of what people might call the worst year in history, 2020. I’m honestly already sick of talking about it and the impending year, there’s just been so much negativity associated with this year whether it be the racial divides, the natural disasters or the ongoing pandemic which has claimed the lives of many. The world as we know it has completely changed. But quietly little communities like our own were breathed new life on the internet, with people out of work and not having anywhere to go, they find refuge in long forgotten forums. Every time text is seemingly dead, it claws its way back through the earth and out of its own shallow grave.

Running this league has given me a lot of perspective on the level of dedication it takes to be the man in charge. It goes to show just how much sacrifice of free time goes into it. From all the micromanaging, making mags, keeping everything orderly etc. So here’s a salute to the guys outside of myself who have brought us some great leagues and tourneys this year @UPN Zuch @Blue Bayou @sraL @Inno (even though he’s shafted me a couple times now) @Incredible @Sharp all dope dudes who deserve a virtual round of applause.

This week marks our halfway point of the season.

THE RURVIEWS:

CHAMP MATCH: UNIVERSE 4-0 vs MR J 3-1:

Welcome to the AOWL where anything can happen, including a novel being written in the champ match. Mr. J had given Universe the go-ahead to write as many lines as he needed for his piece. What resulted was a behemoth of a story that dwarfed every verse we’ve gotten this season. I hope you all learned a lesson about letting Universe do what he wants lol.

Universe proceeded to lay out an impeccable narrative about murder, rape, second chances and an obscene amount of twists that would make even Shamylan blush. What can be said? This piece was very good but I’m not sure how many people are going to actually take the time to read it given the length. I’ve already had multiple people tell me they’ve tried to read it and did not exceed, it is our Mt. Everest for the week.

I feel bad for Mr. J because he wrote a smooth verse with his multis just as on point as ever but his piece was dwarfed in both the literal sense and metaphorical sense. He told a nice tale about humans, their rise, their fall, their technical advancements and also how they’re Fucking up the damn planet. It was relevant and it did resonate with me but the two verses just can’t even be compared.

WINNER: UNIVERSE

CONTENDER MATCH: MASTER ROCK 2-2 vs EVICTION 2-2:

This one was kind of a sleeper battle. Both of these guys are undeniably talented writers that have had their ups and downs this year but both have battled back here and found their way to the contenders match. While it’s easy to dismiss them at 2-2 and say they're only here because of our limited roster, let it be known both of them do belong in this space. Eviction took a more autobiographical route, his topic was more from a first person view. He incorporated a lot of “fire” wordplay in the beginning and set the tone off right. But as noted in the votes he kind of lost his way towards the middle of the verse until he eventually found his way back in the end and wrapped it up in a neat little package , referring back to the cigar and the impending New Year. Master Rock told a more politically driven tale attributing the man with the cigar to a politician and it really worked out well. In what may have been his best showing of the season he showed how politicians are out for themselves and the people that are “burned” in the crossfire of their decisions don’t matter. It resonated a lot with me with the ongoing pandemic and what not. Overall I felt Rock had the more intriguing story to tell and he took the W and moves on to face Universe in next weeks champ match.
WINNER: MASTER ROCK

OBJECTIVE 1-2 vs CANDY 1-3

Both of these guys are finding their feet as writers so this turned out to be a very good matchup disregarding their respective records.
Though Candy had some very good descriptive language his piece wasn’t very story driven. The lines were worded odd at times and felt overstuffed, I gave Candy the advice of slowing down his pace and fleshing out his lines a little more instead of hoping from one concept to the next fast as he can think of them. Objective on the other hand who has had many of the same problems with his writing, told a good narrative this week with an ending that is surely food for thought. Overall even though Candy had bright spots he was outshined by Objective and his great story this week.
WINNER: OBJECTIVE

YDK 0-1 vs FRAZE 0-0

This was a sort of last minute showing from both competitors so it was pretty much a matter of who was going to do more with the little bit that they had. Fraze genuinely surprised me as I had never read anything of his outside of the NBL but his multi-syllables made the piece flow like butter. He had some dope imagery and did some nice wordsmith work. Overall he did great especially for a first performance. YDK is an absolute veteran who just hasn’t found the time to write and shake the rust off. His piece this week was cool but felt more like a vent as opposed to having a concrete storyline, it was littered with nice imagery but the voters left that in the dust in exchange for fraze’s imagery and story.
WINNER: FRAZE

MMLP 2-2 vs PHARAOHS ARMY 2-2

This was a compelling matchup. Both guys referenced real boxers going through both mental struggles and actual physical fights in the ring. in MMLP’s corner was none other than one of the greatest to ever do it, Muhammad Ali. In true MMLP fashion he storied Ali’s career, all the way up to the peak, and also tying it back around to the boxing ring being in the head in the picture, sharing a sentimental message about mental health. It was all poetic. Pharaohs’ attempt felt a little different from his usual effort, it was lacking a lot sure but he did have a solid storyline about boxer Joe Lewis bouncing back from a loss and overcoming the mental and physical trials of it all. His writing felt a lot more bare than usual, if he elaborated on his lines like MMLP did he would have made this match a lot closer but as it stands MMLP walks away victorious.
WINNER: MMLP

ONCE AGAIN, SHOUT TO THE ARTISTS
Week 3: Elia Colombo
Week 4: Avogado6
Week 5: Joey Guidone
Week 6: Sergio Lagravalle

ADVERSE’S ALTERNATIVE
Thought this could be a fun little venture, looked at the topic for the Eviction v Master Rock and pulled something completely different than they both did from it so here it is:

If this is it, then it’s time for one more blood soaked ode
One for the road, push the ammo clip in, the duffle got a dozen to load
This opportunity slid right under my nose, a chance to punish my foes
“Friends”, “colleagues”? Wolves in disguise I make them come out those clothes
Tired of being the butt of their jokes...I burst through the door n let the hammer spit
Riddle the receptionist...heard she was fuckin the boss. How scandalous!
Beads of sweat roll off my balding head and rain from above
The grey carpet turns maroon at the taste of the blood
I round the corner spraying, they’re running to the warehouse, escaping their offices
Cubicles filled with holes, toss my empty clip towards the paper and cartridges
Dead bodies litter the floor, my ammo left the accountants all ripped
Irony because they pushed me too far they should’ve been countin on this (HA)
Every door in the this place is locked from the outside, can’t be breached with force
Swept the break room, domed the red head office whore, see it’s war
Bitch in customer service shouted wanting to know what they bleedin for
I’m Just tryna show her everyone in this place’s veins Kapoor, bitch even yours
Descended the stairs into the warehouse, let off a couple shots from up high
“After the way you mocked you’re honestly surprised? You’re all gonna die!”
My heavy footsteps echo out as my walk hits its stride
I hunt down my prey like a stalker through the maze of office supplies
Two men charge me, their objective is to disarm and settle me
They always at each other’s throats guess they found a common enemy
They push with all their might but can’t budge me, I’m far too heavy, b
They finally concede, letting go of my arms to set me free
Swing the AR back to my shoulder, and empty the clip in their defeated faces
I see the others crowded by the exit door, attempting but can’t seem to break it
I approach fully loaded, can’t wait to see them fall from my strap
“OKAY NOW! FOR EVERY TIME YOU CALLED ME IDIOTIC N FAT THE SEMI AUTO’LL CLAP”
I spray from the chest, the whole warehouse is just stained with their deaths
Laughing maniacally I put the rifle down, light a cigar from my pocket and let the smoke hang on my breath..
…...but wait…..everything disappears and I awake at my desk

Wipe the drool from the corner of my mouth, shocked awake by the tone of the phone
I manage to sit up, and answer with a groan “Dunder Mifflin, this is Kevin Malone”

PREVUESSS:

CHAMP MATCH: UNIVERSE 5-0 vs MASTER ROCK 3-2:

Master Rock has his work cut out for him this week facing the undefeated champion. Universe defeated Mr. J in a Week 5 “thriller” ending 2-1 in votes in his closest battle yet but other than that he’s been decimating his opponents. He’s steamrolled to 5-0. While Master Rock has had his share of ups and downs this season but he won a pretty close battle in Contenders against Eviction and here he is. A focused Rock has a lot of potential but will it be enough to take down Universe when he still seemingly has something to prove? In my opinion, no. But all it takes it one misstep.
UNIVERSE WINS 80/20

CONTENDERS MATCH: SCAR 2-0 vs OBJECTIVE 2-2:

This is an interesting matchup here because Objective has had his struggles as a writer but he’s also hit some pretty big highs this season. I convinced him to return this week despite signing out to have a shot at a deserved contenders match. Scar is an amazing writer in his own regard and has a couple solid Ws under his belt, he overcame a lot tougher competition in the GWL last year to champ and honestly if he was the time and motivation he could really make a statement here, whether that will be the case or not is yet to be seen. But I’ve got Scar here by a decent margin.
SCAR WINS 65/35

INNO 0-0 vs YDK 0-2

I’m sure in some distant topical tournament of yesteryear, this battle has happened before. Both are veterans in every sense of the word and both still have a lot left in the tank, Inno showed his skill by being very competitive in the GWL last year and YDK has dropped a couple of solid verses this season but has yet to get a W. I respect both of these dudes a lot and honestly see a lot of similarities between the two of them, especially the way they use vivid imagery to bring their topic to life. Alas only one can win and since YDK is the one who is more warmed up, I can see him talking this by a small margin. But honestly the tables could easily turn, Inno could have went on his sabbatical and trekked mountains and savage land just to meet a topical guru to train under. He could be back stronger than ever but at this stage I’d say YDK is a safer bet.
YDK WINS 55/45

MMLP 3-2 vs NYCSPITZ 0-0

I don’t know if I have a recollection of NYC dropping anything other than a satirical piece very early in the GWL vs one Blue Bayou. Other than that every time I’ve seen him he’s been a sure no-show. Believe he has skill though as I’ve seen his name brought up time and time again in conversation. MMLP has been on the cusp of greatness this season, he lost a competitive champ match earlier this season and has honestly been dropping a lot of solid verses this year, even being mistaken by Lars by Sinacog (which is probably a compliment?) honestly I’m hoping this one comes to fruition there’s been no sight of NYC since the day he checked in but that could just be a coincidence. If he does show I’m betting he’s rusty and MMLP has the upper hand in that case but I think in any conceivable scenario MMLP is your winner.
MMLP WINS 90/10

PHARAOHS ARMY 2-3 vs BROKENHAL0 0-0

Pharaoh has had a decent season though his record currently sets below .500 at the moment. Don’t be too quick to forget he was in a Contenders match a mere two weeks ago, while he’s dropped a couple since then that doesn’t change the fact that he’s been more focused than I’ve seen him ever before. Broke on the other hand is a guy still trying to find his style, he’s not been the most potent of writers to this point but who knows what he’s been doing since he was in the GWL? It’ll be exciting to see but my money is on PA
PHARAOHS WINS 80/20

MR J 3-2 vs FRAZE 1-0

J has had a good season, just falling short of his second AOWL championship last week but it’s tough competing against 1000 bars. He had a compelling narrative and a good piece last week and has honestly barely faltered this season I look for him to bounce back pretty hard. Fraze showed he was a skilled writer last week in a super short battle with YDK, it was a flash in the pan of dopeness, I think J is more equipped for a longer battle at this point but we will see
MR J WINS 60/40

OUTRO/NEW RULES
Well there you have it another lackluster mag brought to you courtesy of insomnia. This week we’re getting on a schedule. Battles go up Monday and due by Thursday with extensions to Friday as needed. Votes will be gathered Friday-Sunday and rinse and repeat. Battles are going to adhere to a 60 bar line limit and there won’t be any changes to the line limit after that even if agreed upon, we’re having enough trouble holding down votes for 50 line pieces let alone 100 lines and beyond. Playoffs may change.

I respect all you writers and your creative process but these things need to change for us to have a timely format. If everyone votes on at least a couple of battles a week we’ll be able to get through the next half of the season with ease.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:36 AM   #2
Universe
Everything's Connected

Battle Record: 19-8

Champed
- Guerrilla Writing League(2x)
- GWL Picture challenge(2x)
- Art of Writing League

Universe has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant future

Haha very cool. Scar owes you one Addy for that forfeit... What was that about?
Old 01-04-2021, 01:40 PM   #3
Adverse

Champed
- GWL Picture Challenge
- Black August II

Adverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe View Post
Haha very cool. Scar owes you one Addy for that forfeit... What was that about?
Votes were tied and I couldn’t wait around to see if anyone else voted so I just gave him the W. I don’t really have any aspirations to champ this league I’m just trying to get through it myself lol
Old 01-04-2021, 10:25 PM   #4
Master Rock
Steadily Lurking

Battle Record: 7-7

Champed
- Netcees Writers League

Master Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant future

Appreciate the mag as always.

https://www.instagram.com/master_rock1/
https://www.youtube.com/graphicalmindz
Old 01-05-2021, 08:09 AM   #5
fraze

Battle Record: 14-24

fraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant future

Good job, the mag. Looking forward to it @Mr. J
Old 01-05-2021, 08:32 AM   #6
Inno
Ad mini tator

Battle Record: 26-54

Champed
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Inno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond repute

Adverse is doing gods work
Old 01-05-2021, 11:48 PM   #7
Adverse

Champed
- GWL Picture Challenge
- Black August II

Thanks for the positivity fellas. Appreciate y’all
Old 01-06-2021, 02:02 AM   #8
Candy
Sell Her

Battle Record: 1-3

Candy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant future

respect

Old 01-06-2021, 10:31 AM   #9
Candy
Sell Her

Battle Record: 1-3

Candy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFiPANvxfDg

Old 01-06-2021, 04:23 PM   #10
sral
Shrewd as evearthed

Battle Record: 28-3

Champed
- Gimmick Battle League
- The Winter Topical
- Topical Martyrs
- Lyric Olympics
- Art of Writing League
- Guerrilla Writing League (2x)
- Black August II

sral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond repute

It’s a tough gig but you’re doing good
Old 01-06-2021, 04:28 PM   #11
sral
Shrewd as evearthed

Battle Record: 28-3

Champed
- Gimmick Battle League
- The Winter Topical
- Topical Martyrs
- Lyric Olympics
- Art of Writing League
- Guerrilla Writing League (2x)
- Black August II

sral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond repute

Needs more LARS IS THE GREATEST EVER to entice me to sign in though
Old 01-06-2021, 10:47 PM   #12
Master Rock
Steadily Lurking

Battle Record: 7-7

Champed
- Netcees Writers League

Master Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant future

Truth...I swear I woke the next day with a head full of gray hairs, walking with a limp plus holding a cane, all while trying to find my dentures.

https://www.instagram.com/master_rock1/
https://www.youtube.com/graphicalmindz
Closed Thread