Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Forum > Discussion Board

User Tag List

Old 08-11-2017, 08:04 PM   #1
boof

boof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant future
Default " “It’s All Black People”

- said a young girl no older than 20. We had just come back from serving on Skid row to around 200 people. This is the one thing maybe 1 in 500 volunteers ever have the courage to say. Everyone sees it but no one says it. Myself, I saw it when I started 6 years ago. I struggled for years with it. Let me rephrase that, I struggled with my own prejudices from seeing it. It took me 2 years. 2 years to understand the term “systemic racism” that my sociology professor taught me 13 years ago. It took 2 years of going to Skid row for 5 nights a week and getting to know the people, gaining their trust and stories to understand it. So how could I ever make people who can’t make it to Skid row understand?

I read the news today. - “Trump Declares Opioid Crisis National Emergency”

The US is suffering from an opioid crisis on unprecedented levels. Ohio is devastated and 35,000 Americans died in 2015 the article goes on to say. All sides of the aisle from Liberals to Moderates to Conservatives are showing an outpouring of compassion. What the article doesn’t reveal though is that the vast majority of those affected are White. In the 1980’s it was a different crisis. Instead of opioids it was Crack. Instead of poor whites it was poor blacks. Crack decimated inner cities but the US response was much different. Not so much compassion but a War on Drugs. It should have been called a War on Blacks. Instead of a national response like now to boost and expand substance abuse treatment as this article states;

“Experts said that the national emergency declaration would allow the executive branch to direct funds towards expanding treatment facilities and supplying police officers with the anti-overdose remedy naloxone.”
The aim then was to jail as many people as possible. Instead of naloxone the police were armed with the directive to hunt and cage. I know many people on Skid row. Not just acquaintances but people whose trust I have gained. Story after story I’ve heard sounds the same. They came from a single parent family or through foster care because one or both of their parents were imprisoned without ever being given the chance to rehabilitation towards a second chance at life. Skid row is a legacy of broken families. Of black people who never received the compassion that those suffering from this opioid crisis are receiving. Skid row is a legacy of systemic racism.

“It’s All Black People”

For once I’m actually happy at a Trump decision. I truly am. This will give the millions suffering from this opioid crisis a second chance at life. And in that second chance a future for their children. As for the people we serve, the ones who were addicted to crack, it actually was a choice as some say. It was the choice by the US Government to imprison and destroy their lives and families. It might be 30 years late but they still deserve our compassion but more importantly they deserve Justice. This is why housing the homeless is important. It’s not a matter of compassion,
It’s a matter of Justice! "
boof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:09 PM   #2
Witty
Lime Life

Battle Record: 30-41

Accomplishments
- Only Slightly Retarded

Champed
- Lyric Olympics
- Summer Classic

Witty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant future

K.

Witty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:22 PM   #3
uh-oh
DA GOD

Battle Record: 1-0

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

crack didnt have the backing of big pharma and was super illegal dawg

the fact crack got you and still gets you way more time then coke, can be viewed as systemic racism (i guess), but the crackdown on crack, with policing vs the crackdown on opiods, through rehabilitation and shit is STRICTLY because politicians can't outright demonize painkillers the way they can an already illegal substance

if that makes sense. they have to appease big pharma but still search for solutions

but word im not sure there is anything more subtly racist than assuming crack is a black drug. its a lie perpetuated by everyone. i know 10 white crackheads for every 1 black one

but granted thats anecdotal, and everyone is on heroin now instead
Old 08-11-2017, 09:30 PM   #4
boof

boof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh-oh
but the crackdown on crack, with policing vs the crackdown on opiods, through rehabilitation and shit is STRICTLY because politicians can't outright demonize painkillers the way they can an already illegal substance
how do you know it's STRICTLY because of that? i mean the main culprit is clearly heroin, it's not a prescribed painkiller, they can definitely demonize it... and they already have... you've seen the "kill your local heroin dealer" shirts no? you're telling me the only reason they aren't sending opioid junkies to long terms in prison is because doctors are the starting point for some of the addictions? btw opioids were illegal like over a century ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh-oh
but word im not sure there is anything more subtly racist than assuming crack is a black drug. its a lie perpetuated by everyone. i know 10 white crackheads for every 1 black one

but granted thats anecdotal, and everyone is on heroin now instead
i mean its ohio i'm sure you know a ton of white crack heads but the reference of crack use isn't 2017 northeast ohio.. it's inner city, america during the war on drugs. and i don't think anyone is saying only black people smoked crack in the 70's and 80's, but moreso two entire generations were deeply effected due to disproportionate sentencing. which i think is a given, but it sounds like you disagree or something?
Old 08-11-2017, 09:54 PM   #5
uh-oh
DA GOD

Battle Record: 1-0

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

you made a thread about how the government shadily destroyed the black communities in the inner cities via crack and tried to draw the correlation with the heroin epidemic, in the sense that its a white problem, and since its a white problem the government is helping them. not destroying them

which is malarkey

if thats not your intent my bad, thats what i got from it, but i've seen it brought up that way before and its annoying

everyone knows big pharma is huge and in the pockets of politicians. big pharma pressure those doctors and its rewarded when they write the scripts. the government turns the blind eye to it because like i said its in there pockets

so any effort to help is nonsense if opiods are still being prescribed. they aren't needed in 90 percent of cases, and when you are prescribed you should be monitored and weened off

but word comparing it to crack is silly, there were no cocaine lobbyists, doctors weren't getting patients addicted to coke with prescriptions etc. its goofy logic
Old 08-11-2017, 10:44 PM   #6
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Battle Record: 2-5

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

PancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond repute

Just remember boof is an idiot.
And the ditch in the back road stop
Could you find me?
PancakeBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:07 PM   #7
boof

you're confusing me brotha. they're being compared because they're both drug epidemic's in america. of course big pharma wasn't at the helm of the war on drugs but it was the same class in different masks. the effort to help is coming from the suburban judges and mayors and prosecutors because now instead of poor black people they never see outside of court dying it's the judge's daughter and mayor's son od'ing & they're not having it. now you'll get charged for having heroin but so is the guy that drove you, the guy that sold it, the guy that gave you the dealers number, everybody. because they care that these suburban kids are dying.

but alternatively yeah no one above the local level is ever doing shit about the prescriptions because you're right about that part. they're probably passing these narcan / naloxone out like candy so they can retain customers for big pharma cuz u know rehab doesn't come without meds.

some people involved in the system have genuine intentions it's just the ones in control that don't.

so they're definitely comparable it's just this game isnt about destroying communities as much as it is creating lifetime customers and theres a lot more industry behind it. but the war on drugs made trillions for the prison industry so really i think it's pretty much the same. different outfit.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #8
Geno
White Earl

Battle Record: 10-15

Accomplishments
- Open Mic HOF (4x)

Champed
- Netcees Writers League
- Write Week I
- Write Week 8

Geno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Geno

Ya man. Im telling you.. Jts so bad they want people back on coke instead.

Hence all the big shows lately glamorizing it in the middle of ita complete opposite being king on the streets now. Smh.. Pretty bad when they want folks to switch from one to the other cause so many people dying/dead.

I struggled with opes. Phill knows it. Anybody that really knows me knows i did in fact. But im off them.. And hella proud. Like i said in previkus posts. To many close people dead and still dying from this shit. Everytime i look at fb i see anither "R.i.p" going out to someone i love. Heart breaking man
Old 08-12-2017, 01:16 PM   #9
Geno
White Earl

Battle Record: 10-15

Accomplishments
- Open Mic HOF (4x)

Champed
- Netcees Writers League
- Write Week I
- Write Week 8

Geno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Geno

I went a little left field from boofs initial shit. But thesw are my feelings man. I was smack in the middle of this war. was out bmore fighting for the opposition and finally got my head out my ass.

Its personal for me
Old 08-12-2017, 06:30 PM   #10
Witty
Lime Life

Battle Record: 30-41

Accomplishments
- Only Slightly Retarded

Champed
- Lyric Olympics
- Summer Classic

Witty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant future

Thanks for sharing.

Witty is offline   Reply With Quote