Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Vault > Archives > The Netcees archive > The Winter Topical > The Winter Topical Archives
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

User Tag List

Old 01-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Battle Record: 2-5

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

PancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond repute
Default -THE WINTER TOPICAL OPENING ROUND MAGAZINE-

THE WINTER TOPICAL
Opening Round Magazine

Welcome to the inaugural Winter Topical, the topical leg of the Seasonal Big 4 Tournaments (The Summer Classic, Fall Brawl, and Spring ???? being the others). The administration/mod team hopes this will be a success and maybe spark a little more activity on this site. With a stacked roster of participants which consists of multiple Hall of Famers, Open Mic Hall of Famers, and league champions there’s no reason this can’t be the best tournament of the year. There will be a magazine at the start of every round, no Strikta, to help increase interest and decrease the no show rate. In this mag I’ll reveal the bracket and seedings, give a topical profile of each participant, preview all 16 opening round matches, have an interview with……., showcase some recent high level open mics/topicals, and assault your ears with my hipster ass taste in music. Hope you enjoy the magazine and I wish you the best of luck in the opening round.

THE BRACKET
umadbro?

<iframe src="http://challonge.com/wintertopical/module" width="100%" height="500" frameborder="0" scrolling="auto" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

There it is. The path to the championship for every participant. There are obviously many positives to having such a stacked field but one of the drawbacks is that talented writers will be forced into lower seeds and in turn must face other talented writers from the jump. I’m sure that there will be more than a few participants who will take issue with their seeding and possibly think I’m retarded. My response is that yes, I am partially retarded, and that the bracket is what it is. Your only recourse is to outwrite the opponent you’re given and prove my assessment of your seeding wrong. As for the actual match ups we have some interesting battles right off the bat which should produce a number of candidates for battle of the week and the matchups will only get better as we advance.

What does Vulgeth even mean?
Interview

PB: Aside from yourself who do you think has the best shot of winning this tournament? Who do you think could surprise some people? Why?

Vulgar: Baron Mynd was the first person to sign up, which might indicate that he is ready to return to his former glory. He was a topical beast when he put the effort in, a writer no forum on the net couldn't deny respect. I'd say he is the darkhorse of the tournament simply because he has become something of a dark troll during the past few years. The best shot of winning goes to Certain, who I think will pull out all his tricks to leave a dent in the Netcees paradigm. Who could surprise some people: big baby, Split Eight and Objective, and possibly Coup. There are others too worth mentioning too.

PB: Who are you favorite writers to read in the open mic section?

Vulgar: As of late, Nigma. Also Genocide, dead man, Zygote and oXus. Honorable mentions to Split, Vividlyvague and Mr. J.

PB: How do you think the more battle-oriented writers (namely Bags and nik) will fare in such a stacked field?

Vulgar: They will fare very well. They know how to write and they know how to compete. Look for well thought out concepts with emphasis on crowd pleasing flow.

PB: Let's say everything you and Chyeah post is correct. How does it effect your day to day life?

Vulgar: Waking up every day to resist the new world order, spiritually, psychologically and even just casually is a good feeling. If you are unfamiliar with this so called 'conspiracy theory' I will briefly summarize it as a group of elite members of world society plotting for a world government system under their control.

PB: In your opinion, what's the best album released in 2013?

Vulgar: Cryptic One is the only rapper that I really listen to recent work from, otherwise I'm diggin' in the crates via Discogs and Youtube, so I'd probably say his album entitled "Whole Truths, Half Truths, Lies."

PB: Who and what influences/influenced your style of writing?

Vulgar: Vast Aire and Vordul Mega of the rap group Cannibal Ox were at the forefront of my inspiration for my style, flanked by the inimitable Aesop Rock, who dazzled me in my young years with his album Labor Days. I also integrated the soundscapes of Massive Attack into my writing - to hypnotize you with portrayals that you don't see or read everyday. Aside from those, a slew of writers at Rapflava gave me good direction in honing my style throughout the years.

PB: Suppose everyone who frequents netcees is put into a Hunger Games/Running Man situation wherein the last man standing wins and gets to live. What's your strategy in this situation? After Bags' eventual death at the hands of Allen Knight would you feast on his corpse or just deal with the starvation? Would you play the aggressor and actively kill or would you lay back and let everyone fight it out, only to swoop in at the end?

Vulgar: I'm the type of guy who is sterile until provoked, which isn't the best strategy for this situation, so first I'd eliminate the extraterrestrial threat in Zygote before going any further. Once the otherworldly being is slayed, I would become an assassin at night, picking off my prey until I am the last man standing over the remnants of Starscream's wheelchair. I'd likely think of a reason not to kill anime_boners so we can watch anime marathons together and eat freedom fries.

PB: Anything else to add/shout outs?

Vulgar: Shout outs to Chyeah. Keep fighting the good fight my dude!
And the ditch in the back road stop
Could you find me?
PancakeBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

PancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond repute

THE WRITERS
Profiles

Everyone’s favorite section (maybe the match previews). I’ll give my assessment of every writer in the tournament, explain why they’re seeded where they are, and discuss their chances to win the tournament. I’ll also be posting a representative portion of a verse for each writer. There are a few writers who I am not familiar with but I’ll try to do some research while writing this section to form an opinion.

The #1 Seeds
1.dead man
As arguably the best open mic’er and topicalist on the site, dead man’s #1 overall seeding should be a surprise to no one. He has a dialed in style that he’s sharpened to a samurai sword. His strengths are flow, rhymes, imagery, emotion, and insight. Which basically means he’s strong at every aspect of text writing. If he’s fully dedicated to this tournament and doesn’t no show he should be considered the favorite. He has the best odds of any one participant in the field but by the nature of how deep and talented this tournament is, he is not a shoe-in by any stretch of the imagination. He’s released a number of Open Mics in the past few months, a couple of which were nominated for Open Mic Hall of Fame.

from ‘Clockwork Cortisol’
she'll be here at now to torture me blue. orange and maroon,
oozing warmer than strudel in a porcelain spoon
be immortal as you. imagine dragons, oracles too
as the forest resumed, forage for food, with night vision
but drew a Blanc like cork & a screw. black/white zinfandel
Marine machine. the Infidel, the Corps is a suit
like aces high when rivers die to quench a fortunate few
write, regurgitate these words. iAm Lord of the puke
help her gag reflex, relax like a gorgeous masseuse
meta-morphine abuse, pain damager, Kevorkian knew
that death is love. theory's incomplete before execution
it's more than the truth. fuck i'm ignorant, ignore me, rebuke
it's these narcissistic tendencies that force me to use
metaphors or a slew of linear coordinate cues
to reorient the normative views, rhyme orbital loops
around disorder to prove there's nothing formula-proof

2. Pent uP
Being the only topical-based Hall of Famer on netcees speaks for itself. Pent isn’t nearly as active as he once was, aside from occasionally dominating a league with an alias, but he still has the inherent talent and drive to win this tournament. He’s still the only topical writer to complete an entire season undefeated. He has a strong grasp on the technical side of writing such as the rhythm of a text piece and rhyme schemes but I feel his strength is imagery, content, and crisp wording. The only trepidation I had in giving him the #2 seed was the fact he is not as committed to text as he previously was and he has a higher than normal no-show percentage. Hopefully he dedicates himself to this tournament, as he has a legitimate shot of champing it.

from ‘Orchards of Shamelessness’
That reverend will RUN past drinkers and their Popov
to inform those that are living in a Rock Box;
- envisioning their lost thoughts, stumbling through quickness,
- through tropical obstacles in the jungle of forgiveness.
A constable of limits is somehow relented tenfold;
curiously letting travelers pass through never ending meadows.
- Their search for an occulted gorge as the main entrance
to find understanding in the orchard of shamelessness.
Where you can start a fire and stand or work nude
while making a meal from plants of virtue...
but grandeur serves food and slaves to the starving often;
and for once its not a slave of the common problem.
Even Darwin lost it coming to know this life's view...
because you don't grow into it, it grows inside you.

3. Vulgar
The 1b to dead man’s 1A (or the reverse, depending on your preferences) but with a completely different style. Vulgar’s calling card is complex rhymes and intelligence, with a non-standard view of things since he’s a communist alien. His verses are dense with content and themes yet flow better than almost everything else on the site. He has the perfect mix of verbosity, wit, and irreverence and should be considered one of the heavy favorites, thus justifying his high seeding. The only major roadblock I can see that would keep him from champing the tournament is his tendency to work in the ethereal side of things, often metaphorically relating to topics. I personally don’t find a problem with this approach but when he takes it to the extremes some voters may prefer a more grounded work by his opponent. This is small quibble, though, and in all reality he will be a force to be reckoned with throughout.

from ‘Stepping Outside Yourself: Does it require cloning?’
At first, I didn't need a sage to advise me to obey the laws of nature
I sung a song for labor, bogged down in my hyperbolic chamber
I tried seeing eye-to-eye with a relentlessly reproducing throng of neighbors
Promenades blurred, as dishonest, dissolvent vapors became auditor & arbitrator
author, overseer, psalm curator, carpenter, padded record ashtray filth
Grape juices of wrath may spill, for those who accomplish the last great swill
Do mortar layers with blue corneas look upon the monotonous slabs they built?
All is worthy of analysis from the perspective of an eccentric man
who travelled to Uzbekistan with frankincense and an essential plan
In quiet thought, he made headwind on a camel to the sounds of his brethren's chants
Each night he dreamt of the torrid desert sands,
and a swarm of locusts that formed a helping hand

4. Frank
Although he is a tremendous faggot who will abuse any and all underhanded tactics to undermine and win a battle, Frank has proven he is a serious topical threat. He’s champed multiple AOWL/NWL seasons simply by wanting it more than anyone else, even if that means being a shady faggot. He has a style unto himself, often stretching and shortening lines while keeping a good flow. He’s an expert at crafting intricate and affecting stories which lends itself well to the topical side of the site, and he’s also a solid to good rhymer with penchant for good dialogue. Aside from being a faggot he’s a true threat to win the tournament. If there was an additional vote casted each round for the biggest douchebag he’d be the #1 seed.

from ‘The Re-Up’
"In recent memory, has reefa been a necessity, part of your nausea regime?
We found Acid reflux in your esophagus - gauzed up by the D's
All the furniture rearranged - coffee beans frothing steam...
Refrigerator door - open a Jar, bean stalks on a lean..."
Caution!
The fog from the leafs causes a serene revolving Miserere..
Repeated life sentence we resolve sinner sinning sprees like reward beneficiaries
Living in the Lawn like honey I shrunk the kids - dwarf the imagery
Going to war with a blades of grass, cutting the head off a centipede
Hiding like a recluse reappearing confused in a spinners seize
The bank wouldn't reapprove me cause my bong cost was in the G's
Readjustment on the mortgage forged - double-crossing T's
Reinforcing me to believe I have no remorse..,

The Contenders
5. NYCSPITZ
One of the more difficult entrants to seed, NYC could’ve been justly seeded anywhere from #3 to somewhere in the lower half of the bracket. He has a well deserved reputation of no showing, often in important matches. Although he has said this in the past, he has reassured me that he is completely dedicated to trying to champ this tournament so I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt and seeding him this highly. When he shows with full attention he’s one of the best writers on the site with a strong vocabulary he doesn’t over-use, great flow and schemes, and a knack for character development and storytelling. If he follows through on his promise he could beat anyone in the bracket.

from AOWL Week 9 vs. Mr. J
She could pack for the midnight train or stay and collapse
but writing was an escape. It was her blizzard controlled
sought meaning, through every single summer's winter and snow
Every day in her room lonely, scripting her soul
reading short stories at the table, timid and bold
when one line popped out at her and whispered - so cold...
In a rage she flung books, flowers and sinister bowl,
it read:
"---that girl's like a devil lost, drifting to home..."
insight stiffens repose;
one creative child of blistering prose
Julie Dufresne - fetal position, holds a withering rose...

6.Soulstice*
Soulstice, formerly TopicalDood5, has not posted much since a brief stint in the Writing Challenge League. But he is no unknown, one of the more respected topical writers of the past seven years. He has a good grasp of all of the tools of the trade and thrives in more conceptual writing. Seeing him in action after five or six months off will be interesting, but if he gets things going in the first and second rounds, he is a threat to win it all.

*Profile written by Certain due to my lack of familiarity with Soulstice’s work.

from WCL Week 1 vs. Flo Real
A grenadine amalgamate greatly abates gumption, approaching
The prototypical functional hopeless romantic coming to loath
Atypical galleries of amorous grooms and gals about
This room, they swoon against her dooming croon of static doubt
augmenting growing awareness, galloping across
Her mind, she's wallowing, lost in her unpalatable thoughts
- Across galactic axes ghostly apparations grumble and grouse
As she too joins the desolate orbit of the mumbling crowd
Gross and grey, alone, garrisons as godforsaken abodes
Just eternal cosmic hatred as they're left alone and cold -
- Again gravity abates, she's gone afloat in Gotham -
Lipstick, fake purse, tight dress, she's haute
and getting
hauter
Looking to get lost in some populace of daughters
In a faux designer watch from her coffer - the time remains 21
A great tragedy, the great tragedy, the search for anyone

7. Lars
aka Baron Mynd aka Brian Bryan. A well known and decorated topical writer, Lars has been winning topical tournaments and champing leagues for years on previous text sites. He’s been less active on netcees but has generally fared well when he’s decide to participate in the AOWL and NWL. Although I’m not as familiar with his work as I am with his reputation, from the handful of pieces I’ve read from him his rhyming/schemes are top notch for the topical side of things. Reading through his hall of names, he has the versatility necessary to compete at the highest level which this tournament is a part. He needs to take this seriously to be the contender he has the talent to be.

from ‘..All Aboard!’
...I guess I’d always been too afraid of letting go;
‘Cos you never know what can happen when you’re caught in the ebb and flow.
But I was carried away by the current and swept to the side;
Where I found myself drowning in the deepest, dark, depths of your eyes.
As their replenishing grace lashed over me,
I embraced it strong,
And with a sharp intake of breath, I would gladly take the plunge.
You were the mermaid on the barnacled buttresses I braved collision,
As I courageously steered my stern vessel on its maiden mission.
But simultaneously I found myself in a strange position;
Because I’d always been careful not to go overboard with inane decisions.
Yet our relationship was as open and free as the oceans and seas;
From the moment you seized my heart,
Gone were my loneliest needs.
And I was thrown in the deep end where you left me amazed;
Where I leapt in elation while riding on the crest of that wave.

8. ZYG
Shapeshifter. Legitimate extraterrestrial creature, sent from LO429-0930201S4 to craft rhymes for Netcees. ZYG is a purposefully enigmatic boarder but a highly respected writer who can adapt to any style and restriction. He can deftly handle swag and flow, battle raps, stories, and character sketches with equal aplomb. He’s capable of very complex rhyme schemes but also understands how to craft a content-based verse. Such versatility is a definite advantage and necessity for being successful in any topical tournament, let alone one such as this with a high level of competition. With that said, part of Zygote’s appeal as an open mic’er is how strikingly different he titles and approaches the concept of writing open mics. He’s dropped concept pieces centered around alternating A-B words, coded messages, etc. That takes foresight and intelligence to create but I’m not sure it’s applicable to a straight topical competition. He’s still strong enough of a writer without the irregularities to be a serious contender, though.

from ‘Battle Rap 3’
I’m a bio-militant handling complex reactions and diverse stimulus,
I saw people writing about “Flow” don’t they know my hydrosynthesis?
Battling me? You must be smoking psychostimulants, you would be better off smoking nitro-glycerine,
You battling me is like a diabetic going into shock without their glycol-insulin,
Because I rhyme ridiculous with no right equivalent, my styles so intricate it forms inside a chrysalis,
My status supermassive - Your status is a micro-increment,
You’re just a minor irritant; I despise your insolence,
Losing against this sideshow participant? I can’t accept the thought - my mind shows dissonance,
Someone wrote I was light that’s typo isn’t it? They meant tight because I’m the maestro killing it,

9. big baby
Based purely on talent he could be a #1 seed but questions about him showing and his general zaniness as a persona lead me to place him a bit lower. Although he’s apparently been frequenting text sites for quite some time I’m only familiar with his work on netcees but just from that he’s one of my favorite writers in the Open Mic. He’s a highly confident writer with the best/most complex rhyme schemes in the forum. Although some think he’s all rhyming and no content I think most people just see the schemes and formatting (paragraph) and make a snap judgment, because he often writes some of the more unique thoughts seen in the OM, whether it be braggadocio, off-the-wall, or romantic. The aforementioned reservations and the fact I’m not familiar with his work in a stricter topical setting may cause some problems but based purely on skill level he can win this tournament.

from ‘Why did the chicken cross the road? Because chickens can't fly and crucifixions are better on the ground.’
Indebted to you, I’m not God. Peripheral view.
My mantra, metacarpus’s brew a love-plot
While the record ensues its heartthrob
I fell into you. I’m penning to Louie Armstrong.
A lesson adieu. In Starry Night, designing bionic pylons
where thee iconic axons, gnaw fiber through
protoplasmic ions. This is neural slashing eyebombs.
Call the coach of Ivan Draga. *sigh*
How am I supposed to be over you
Alone in his room, while I could be partying all night long
La vie en rose. Charming, purple neon glows
Silhouetted through ionic eon poems.
Look at your naughty, ‘she’s hot’ pose.
Where you know I can hardly keep on prose
I’ll go places, where the heart’ll seldom push
Where guards of emblems crush, every part you’d think you look
You’re an art piece. An arc of spectrum color hybrid
Where bows rain tinted arrows over refracted fuller violet.
Isaac Asimov, where the unvarying angles off.
Wish you a good twilight. In the blink of an eye, its dark
Your indie wavelength whirs the coloration champion
That stirs a combination halcyon through this inky apex

10. Certain
Certain has a very literate style based heavily on crisp wording, turns of phrase, imagery, emotion, and rhythm/flow. He has above average scheming and knows how to craft a topical piece. He also takes these type of competitions seriously; I can’t recall Certain ever no showing and he’s one of the best, if not the best, voter on the site. In a competition where some of the top competitors have a history of not showing or lacking dedication that alone propels him to an upper half seeding. Paired with his talent level he should be considered a legitimate contender. I’ve said this before, though, that he may lack a ‘next level’, to speak in clichés, to go to in high-leverage matches. He’s very consistent but I’d like to see him truly ‘wow’ the voters in an important match, which he will inevitably be in.

from ‘Where are We?’
I'm a Watchman with superpowers,
and my Target is the big box.
Harnessing the madness of touchscreen apolocalyptic Kid Rock
leaking through the asbestos into hardly guarded wigwams.
I'll take an orange soda-gin, mom. Mix it in my favorite cup
and add the tar and cocaine in while I sliver off to play with guns.
This emaciated vagrant knows breakfast ends at 10:30,
and lunch usually doesn't happen at all.
Slow drip. Sodium Pentothal. "I had the loneliest pedagogue.
She'd expose me to metacogs and hold me while getting off,
but I wasn't fucked until now."
The valium's in the fridge. The Magnum's in the cabinet.
The Trojan's stealing information from data on your tablet.
Saturn's rings are masking the lack of happiness in space
because we all know those fucking aliens are catalysts of rape.
She's a destroyer, like in Battleship the game,
with three holes to stick your peg in, and no passable escape.

11. Bags
Bags has champed both topical tournaments and leagues in the past and along with ill nik-A is probably the best open mic/topicalist from the battling community (most of the top tier battlers have left and those that remain I’m not familiar with in a topical setting). I haven’t read too many verses from Bags but from the few that I’ve read he usually takes a unique approach towards the topic with shorter lines. He can be humorous in his writing better than most and I’ve only read a small sampling. He can also handle a serious topic well. I think going a slightly more comedic route might behoove him as it plays into his persona and funny topical verses usually do surprisingly well since they’re rare. He has talent, definitely, but he has the highest no-show possibility out of anyone in the bracket which caused him to fall a bit in the seeding.

from The Elements Tournament Finals vs. Cashius
So i breathe for a milisec & see thru the silhouette
From a beastly gorillas neck, wen i squeeze in can u hit 10?
GET THE FUCK OUT MY WAY DORIS.
jesus, shes the reason for prilosec. If she was bulimic id be upset
cuz then we couldnt see this unbelievable living wreck
treat the fridge like an achievable mission threat.
Thank you doris, i nod....and start to think as i breathe again.
I wish....
i just wish for one day
These heathens knew how i REALLY percieved them then.....
Maybe theyd see.....
THEYRE SO FUCKING SELFISH.
I mean look at their means to a squeamish end
They act weak
But only cuz they think
that the meek will step up to recieve what the demons left
But to me?
their inner demons are equally evil an streaming from discontent
I see the false allegiance begin to weaken from being so indirect
An with that fleeting beacon...
Just breathe....
Let me reflect.
FUCK THOSE COWARDS.
everytime i dream im in full effect....if i wake from my sleep?
Then i cheated death.
If im able to beathe? Then im living less
But dont u see?
What they see....
Is worth nothing ......if u cant see what they see the best.
DORIS DID U HIT TEN! ??!
Ingenious!

12. ill nik-A
Like Bags, nik is known more for his battling than topicals but he has a good reputation in both. He drops more Open Mics than any other battler I can think of, has an Open Mic Hall of Fame piece, and has champed the topical league in the past. He has a pretty standard style but is capable of switching it up from time to time and I’d say his strength lies in his ability to tell a story. His rhyming is solid as well.

from ‘Cold Winter’
there’s much debating to consider, as the loaded revolver spins
& though times are changing I’m not sure it can be resolved by spring
sins consult the wind, the air shares despair while the heat is on hold
I had all intention to go through with it but since then my feet have gone cold
you can dance to the beat of my soul, but my heart’s used to the classics
melodies pay homage to memories while my smarts choose to mask it
scars move in past tense, I’m so out of sync with tomorrow’s focus
rain circles the eye of the storm with an extra drop for my sorrow’s dosage
everything I bottled broke this hopeless trend to send a message
melancholically divided without the leg strength to withstand aggression

13. trap
I’ll be honest and admit I wasn’t familiar with trap’s writing at all prior to starting this tournament. I initially had him ranked much lower than this but after consulting a couple of members on the site on my initial seeding both said he should be an upper half seed. I can only make assumptions on his style from his sole open mic verse ‘Two Fingers’. Although it’s the smallest of sample sizes I can tell he has some ability. The content of that piece was a bit generic but he added a personal touch to it and you could feel the earnestness through the lines. There were a couple highlights throughout although I had a couple of issues with wording here and there. I can’t really speak on his chances of winning the tournament myself but he got some cosigns from people that I respect so I believe he’s got a shot.

from ‘Two Fingers’
Something that remains sacred is just nothing to you
How could we birth a baby boy that means NOTHING TO YOU?
That's something crazy boo, from your fucked up mind-state,
My mind hates. I made up my mind, you made the wrong mistake
I remember our last night, I slipped two fingers inside
Fake moaning uncontrollably, I couldn't let that shit slide
I took pride in the form of two and did away with you
The picture frames without you and now it's just another two
A father and son, separated at birth and divided by one
By one woman who took two lives, just for some fucking fun?
But now it's who enjoyment? Just me and the child
You took love's beautiful smile, turned it upside down and made it vile.

The Darkhorses
14. Split Eight
Out of all the writers with double digit seeds I think Split could make the most surprising run. He’s consistently elevated since he joined and as it stands now he has one of my favorite styles in the Open Mic. When he first started he was too verbose and abstract for his own good but he’s since honed those qualities into equilibrium with his content and depth of thought to create a unique and refreshing take on text writing. He manages to be vocab dense and poetic simultaneously, often writing with a wide range of content and emotional touchstones. He is a slight risk of no showing but he’s said he’ll be taking this particular tournament seriously. Aside from the no show risk he’s sometimes a bit too ‘left field’ and dense for some voters which may hurt him down the road.

from ‘Monika’
she joked I was haunted by ghosts. American slew.
Engorged in oblivion. Kerouac. Whitman. Bloo Q. Kazoo.
Morrison's indian. Cobain, sky a typeset cobaltic,
cloud-cover stardust in bloom, reining in acidic cathodics,
Sitting cathartic. Carcinogen fumes we could puff.
Aware that my tonal grasp was approximately, too not enough.
Shifty and grayscale. Prolix, olden hat since... daguerreotypes, dude.
The finer points she filtered. White noises, polarized, pilfered.
Consumed like a slanted haiku, encoded tags coined to animamatrix.
Slowclap goodbye. Reunions are prone to standing room only ovations.
Paging old hand-framed photographs. Her descriptions still empty,
and I am not convinced of anything...

15. Wise Ways
Dope. Has his own style; very fluid with an emphasis on rhyme schemes. Content is invariably off-kilter and a bit dark, chock full of quotable one liners and irreverent wit. Very not give a fuck. I’m a fan of his Open Mics but I’ve never seen him participate in a topical league or tournament so I’ll be interested to see how his style adapts to a more restrictive setting. I’m sure he’s participated in them before I just have no first hand experience with it. I’m sure he’ll transition well. Slight risk of no-showing.

from ‘the throat-stuffer’
Exhale the devil's lettuce & breathe in godly
No one knew this wicked was in me, Richard Kuklinski, is that you?
Industry taboo. Epiphany smash through. Do you dare hold back?
I'm not one to blare cold facts, but I'm an accident. The flares show that
Feel it yet? <3 the Scarecrow gas. It's scrumptious air, so plastered.
Copped a dream in a baggy, that Christina Aggy. Pristine & savvy
Fapping to flabby queefs? Attaching wings to thinking badly
Nasty things. Hatchet swings. Magma. Drinking gasoline, le trashy
I admit. I have some baggage.. Excuse the smell, I stupor well. You lose a nail?
You know when you click, it's something crazy.
You ever hunted babies? Or punched a cunt..
Til it's poussing some mustard gravy?
Sitting there.. Hungry.. Craving..
Mother hates me. So I.. Gein out &'do the Bundy-Gacy
I've wasted at least a'half'a dozen save me's
On the shit I would've done if I wasn't lazy
I'm peeing circles with this genius journal
I'll spit the dimensions, you just bleed through the worm holes
My breathing is burnt coals. Ingredient's worse, though.
I'm cheesing, eating a girl's nose. Squeezing her purple
There's no leaving these dirt roads

16. Mr. J
AKA Qwarterz. Had a very strong run through this last season of the AOWL, facing the toughest schedule in the league by far and earning a first round bye. One of the most reliably consistent writers on the site, Mr. J has a strong grasp on scheming and is an experienced topical writer having, at one point, champed this AOWL season and the last NWL season. He knows how to write to topics as well as anyone and he’s one of the handful of writers who I wish I could’ve seeded higher. Much better writer than a #16 seed would normally indicate. He had some lopsided losses, though, to top tier writers and I have the same concern for him as I did for Certain; can he go into another gear and really surprise the voters with a next-level verse? I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility but it will be necessary in this competition. One of the most prolific writers on the site, I have zero concern regarding him no showing.

from ‘Deep in My Cellar’
I seize eyes from the tiger, take lies from the liar
set their ice in the fire..fan that, advice from the wiser
of men...of mice time is of the dire, the likes of a tire
formed to a bike and it's rider, roll the dice you acquire
once I add the clock, and the other device to the wires
it's on you...give your wine to the diner
outsource, when you understand the lines of the finer...
evils, you might find out that time is the buyer
I am the seller, the keeper of the message
you should either go to sleep with depressants
or understand the weaker is in my presence
the sweetest of essence...waiting
and I, keep them buried deep in my collection
playing with them til' I deem my impressions
are you ready? or even seasoned to perfection?

INDIE SONG COMMERCIAL BREAK
Could you find me?
Old 01-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #3
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

/INDIE SONG COMMERCIAL BREAK

The Underdogs
17. Witty
Netcees’ resident drunken Irishman. Much like trap I initially had Witty seeded much lower before a couple of people I asked advice from knocked some sense into me. He’ll let you know how good of a writer he is if you ask him. I wasn’t familiar with his work since on Netcees he’s pretty much just a Discussioneer and topical no shower but he apparently can back up the talk. Prior to starting this magazine I looked up his work in the Open Mic forum and I can confirm he’s pretty talented as a writer. He’s got a solid style with good rhyming and decidedly topical approach. If I was more familiar with his work or if he was a bit more active as a writer there’s a solid chance he could’ve been a higher seed. He’s another participant who I initially had serious concerns over whether he’d show consistently but he’s since assured me, in the way only Witty can, that he is serious about this competition. If he can get past the first round he’ll likely be matched up with dead man in a battle where his confidence will have to be proven out to advance.

from ‘The Post-Apocalyptic Struggle’
An Aboriginal tribe the only kid by her side, refusing to quit
Denying Lucifer's pit, determined not to loosen their grip
As demons close in, their might increases and grows
The people try to resist, but they're weak and exposed
Humanity weeps as the scarlet sky glows deep as a rose
Demons impose upon the last remaining men, castigating them
Raining disaster, rabid hate and laugh as they condemn
The beaten warriors fall to the ground, and pray to her soul
Tears create nutrition to awaken her, making her whole
As man and Earth reunite to fight the demons and beasts
The glow courses through the soldiers, as evil retreats
Blue skies break free, the gloom dies in the day's glee
Her smile is great, she's eating and breathing at last
She was always there to help us, we just needed to ask
It only took a tear, and now the World's First War's won
And man can finally reclaim the role of Earth's first born Son.

18. Vividlyvague
VV was assumed to be a Frank aliases for quite awhile and some users still think he is. I’ve personally decided he’s his own unique, special self. VV is a newer writer to Netcees but he acquitted himself quite well in the AOWL this season, making the playoffs with a bye as the #2 seed and making it to the semi-finals before losing to Frank. He is a strong storyteller with a couple of different styles at his disposal. He takes topical competition seriously and is pretty consistent as well. His writing in general is solid to good but he does have lapses where his wording can be a bit awkward and he isn’t a top tier rhymer, although he is solid. He’s pretty good with dialogue which can be tricky for some writers. He definitely has the ability and dedication to make it through a few rounds but he’ll have to improve as he makes his way through the bracket if he wants a serious chance of making the semifinals.

from ‘Mad Kid, Good City’
What wretched ratchetness this block holds
From the festered parentless to the pot hoes.
Enter stage right... a naive youth of whom the lot'd know,
Age ripe, but his noggin's old.
Smarts enDOWed, had that stock controlled.
Hood rats drooled for his mopping glow.
Prodigious nature labeled him 'who not to know.'
No Pops at home, a void his mom condoned,
For their better good... no use for Coppertone.
But the heat was exchanged for a lost mom tryna swap-up roles...
Almost tossed up hope,
As this is where the plot explodes...

19. Veritas
Legendary Scripts vs. Bags still gets talked about. Never read it. Must be kind of a big deal. Veritas’ writing is much like his boarding; you’re not entirely sure if he’s serious or playing some weird meta-joke on you and everything’s all a bit weird with flashes of interesting ideas. I’ve read most of the Open Mics he’s written in the past year or so and I’ll say he’s an uneven writer. I think if he’s given a topic and knows he could face Bags at some point if he advances he’ll sit down and write a legitimate topical and he may become a threat. As it stands now, he has some mechanical flaws in his writing but he has bursts of creativity. It will be interesting to see how he fares.

from ‘COSMIC WAR 4555’
Keep Mandlebrot mechanics in table top ceramics. While String theory of hammocks lie between liver spots and Chantix, scatter plot gymnastics tie a knot out of their caskets. Holographic fascist graphics blow colloquial gaskets, of their parochial antics…..but the nose shows Pinocchio tactics. My foes have sharp clothes with holes in their jackets.

20. CopyPat
Rhymes for props. One of the most prolific writers in the Open Mic forum, you know what you’re getting with Pat; ridiculous rhyme schemes and entertaining content. He’s branched out here and there with some more ‘topical-ish’ type drops (‘Bottle Cap Blues’ and ‘Better Days’) but for the most part he’s a flex/swag and flow monster. Therein lies the low-ish seeding. I initially had him close to the Top 10 but after some consideration and input I dropped him to here because I’m not entirely sure if a topical setting plays to his considerable strengths. If this was just an open-ended competition where participants wrote what they pleased he’d be much higher but for right now he has to show and prove he can step out from his comfort zone and be a topical force as much as he is an Open Mic one.

from ‘Flows For Dayssss’
i absurdly blurt a word or 3 then end ya life mercifully
my sentence like curvin these, im bendin mic's cursively
ya deaded like murdering. forget it tyke.. ur deceased
my thread is like pure disease, posting potent phrases
members try urgently hoping folks could save em
but they only hope deflated when i dopely wrote this statement
Pinochio is waitin and he mostly grows impatient
cause if you keep tellin lies
then his pokey nose inflates until mc's tell it right
i beat fellas like its an Anderson Silva match
rappers try to step but bananas is in they path
thats just a thing we have..that means u straight slippin slide
i be just straight kickin rhymes, see this leg twitchin? Die

21. oXus
I had a tough time seeding oXus. I’ve liked everything I’ve read from him (quite a bit, actually) and he seems to have a good reputation as a writer but he just doesn’t write much. With a small sample size to work with and the fact he’s not an overly active poster I have some reservations about him showing consistently. This may be completely unfounded, who knows, but it effected his seeding. His calling card is his grasp of the English language and his wording/phrasing. He’s got a strong sense of rhyme and his content is usually very solid. I could honestly see him making it quite far into the bracket and pulling some ‘upsets’.

from ‘Reset.’
Reset. Sex is secondary,
don’t waste Time: It wounds all heels, see even second’s heavy.
Reveal depth as elementally as a sentry to his own thoughts can,
but don’t force, man, traded drunken overhands
(with no over-the-shoulder glance) to be sober, thanks;
swinging anachronistic aluminium blades made from soda cans,
For how long do Novas last? I’m sorry, love, I lost the buzz
& never wanted to hold your hand, it was just a Freudian trance.
Don’t feel there’s ever been much to owe to chance,
so load your own arms and do a fucking Cossack solider dance.

22. Just Write
In reading the Sign Up topic for this tournament and participants subsequently posting how they think the seed will shake out it seems I have a slightly lower estimation of Just Write than the general consensus. This isn’t intended to be a slight; the quality of this tournament and slight differences of opinion will cause some people to slide more than anticipated. Just Write is one of the writers who, for some reason or other, I haven’t read too much of but in preparing for this magazine and reading a shitload of Open Mics I have to say I’m impressed. He had a couple drops I didn’t care for but when he’s on his game he has strong eye for schemes and wording. If he’s focused and drops to the best of his abilities he’s an upset threat, much like the entirety of this bracket.

from ‘the game of love’
Love.. is a voidless emotion,
Ive sat here poised and toyed with the notion
That maybe it's the thought of love..
...that's poison is potent.
I'm hopeless..
Hopelessly lost, hopeless in thoughts
Hopelessly hoping it was all worth the cost
Tossing and turning, yet yearning for love
A church on the hill, a silloquette of doves
Ive hugged this pillow tight, thoughts of you
on a yatcht at noon. Coffee for two

23. Mike Wrecka
After champing the entire Writing Challenge League, Mike had a very uneven and unexpected AOWL season. Although the fact he was moderator of the league may have had a detrimental effect, he still underperformed in relation to expectations. Mike is true topicalist; he knows how craft a story and often takes unique and surprising routes with the topics he’s given. His actually writing fluctuates between good and above average. He makes his bones by being more creative in the overall approach rather than purely outwriting his opponent. If he had performed like expected in the AOWL I think he’d be in the upper half of the bracket, but this is very much a ‘what have you done lately’ hobby and he’ll have to correct his path. He has the topical chops to do so.

from ‘How many lines till you understand who I am?’
being on top of the world, is a difficult thing,
forced to endure the attack that every day brings/
so if it seems im alright, cause im covered in ice,
it only means that you value something, other than life/
take a closer look, my life is an open book,
dig a little deeper and see just what these vultures took/
truth is im diminishing and nobodies listening,
they just cruise on by, and see me glistening/
when they should be petitioning, how much more can I take,
inside I feel shattered, im starting to break/
contemplate and decide, im not even alive,
flooding whole cities with the tears that I've cried/
sometimes its implied, that none of its real,
but the inconvenient truth will soon be revealed/
when im gone, im not gone, for you its much worse,
im a glacier of ice melting, cleansing the Earth/

24. Fig
The Churro of Peace. I’m a fan of Fig’s writing and he’s elevated as of late. He reminds me a bit of Split Eight, although they do have their significant differences. Despite his boarding persona, Fig writes in a very poetic style for the most part with strong vocabulary. He’s got a good rhythm and wording to his pieces as well. Doubts about him consistently showing hurt his seeding, as did the relative lack of production in comparison to most of the writers in the tournament. He’s got a tough draw in the first round against big baby in a matchup where both competitors could no-show, or create the single most unique topical match I’ve seen. There’s a solid chance Fig turns some heads and makes people realizes his boarding persona is backed up with some legitimate talent for writing. big baby vs. Fig could be the best matchup of the first round if both show.

from ‘Reality of Language’
Microclausem. Dew embedded webs glimmer idle.
Gossamer sonnets rocketed hypersonic. Spurned style.
Wildly slung. Im finely tucked in a pocket.
Then tightly clung writing's rungs. Climbing up to an object.
Sought a wondrous finding. Inside me, lightning struck lightly plucked.
The rise was inspiring.
I forgot where I was.

It didn't matter

25. Zenland
Zenland loves to partake in the use of illegal narcotics and he’s not shy about it. A dedicated topicalist, Zenland actively participated in this season of the AOWL and I thought of him as one of the more underrated writers in the league, voting for him a few times in matches he lost. Lately he’s been experimenting with different styles and subject matters and I think there’s a strong chance he’s better for it. He’s got good scheming and rhythm but sometimes his approach and methodology for writing topicals can be a bit hit or miss, with him sometimes being too vague for his own good. Guaranteed to show, he’ll put up a fight with anyone he’s matched up against. The question is if he’s elevated enough to make a dent in a competition as stacked as this.

from ‘biPolarland’
Deep breath. Take it. Regrets, face it. I sleep best wasted. Jealously is bred in me especially when it's left tainted from desperate dreams. Everyone else it seems is jaded. I guess it's just me left in these restless sheets. Fuck this. I sound like a cry baby. My life lately has been time wasting around lines saying, " I think I've found a nice lady. She's even a dime." Maybe I fall to quick. I'm sick of all this shit. "It's all right baby." Shut up bitch. It's my fault I'm crazy on the cusp of fits. I've had enough of this - pause - I'm pacing like a dog with rabies and I'm lovin it. McDonald's bitch. Bonkers; crazy. I ponder, I'm thinking, I'm the moniker of hades. Arnold praised me after I shot Sarah Connor in the face hee hee.

26. Objective
Objective, much like Mike Wrecka, performed very well in the WCL but hasn’t done too much since. His latest Open Mic was released in early December and he didn’t participate in the AOWL for any extended period of time. He’s a solid topicalist, respected within in that section of the Netcees community. I personally faced off against him in the WCL and came away impressed. He’s capable of writing in length with good content. He’s got a pretty standard structure to his verses with a nice emphasis on internal rhymes. If he was a bit more active prior to the start of this tournament he would’ve likely garnered a higher seeding.

from ‘Desperation’
When he wrote songs she got lost in the melodies,
he played with her senses channeling creative energies.
The tunes would guide her to a world void of things,
it'd conquer her soul as if it was attached to strings.
They got connected through this common passion,
but the absence from eachother craved an reaction.
Their souls intertwined and created an unbreakable bond,
it's amphetamines strong; when she sings heaven respond.
But eternal paradise is such a mythical place,
once reality hit the universe seemed to be out of space.
And the love that they had suddenly craved for a change,
and the opposite person came off as morbid and strange.
As they drifted apart they tried holding on to a sinking ship,
hands secured putting zippers to shame, but it's all just a trip.
When their lips touched it sealed shut so lies could be freed,
a bit much for ripped love, but it's what both of them need.
Afterall... It's just emotional greed.

The Wildcards
27. Coup
Another writer I’m not overly familiar with, not even reputation-wise. I faced him in a topical match in the BA which took several months to finish due to lack of votes. He wrote a solid verse. I don’t have a large sample size to draw concrete conclusions but after reading through his Open Mics it seems he favors a shorter lined verse and his rhymes seem up to snuff if not spectacular. I do apologize for the lack of familiarity; it’s bound to happen with pool of writers this size. Show and prove.

from ‘Crucible’
Been down on my luck for me to just
Just too much truth for me to what ?
Truth. I see it in the young; once is too much
First of the month fixed on the third of the slum
Birth of the jam praised the Lord of the gun
Lead of the lamb slugs the life of the man
In the breath of the lung is the voice of the love
The days come when the void of the dark
Will point to the noise of the light
The joy in our joint, smiting the knights of the night

28. YDK
It sucks that he has to be seeded this low but sometimes that’s just how the cookie crumbles. I used to dislike YDK’s writing but he grew on me during the course of the AOWL. He either improved or I started to like his style after repeated readings. He gave Frank a run for his money in one of the longest matches I’ve ever seen in a topical, which is a feat unto itself. He’s got a poetry background but I feel he actually does a bit better, for this site’s standards, when he fleshes his ideas out a bit and explores in depth, as he did with Frank. He made the playoffs in the AOWL and showed well. In a fair world he’d be given a better chance for success with a higher seed but the devilish fact that the competition is stiff strikes again and leaves him with an unenviable position. He’ll write his ass off no matter who he faces, I’m confident in that. An upset isn’t out of the question but it’ll be difficult.

from AOWL Week 6 vs. Frank
Incapable of facing the facade and the flaws,
Ignoring questions and suggestions, dodging them all.
Is it true love? Is divorce even an option?
Of course,
The coarseness of the beaten path is often left forgotten.
Yet its all for nought;
awful distactions plague and mock an authors thoughts.
He's lost in moments, where to hone it,
he must focus on the tone he sought.
A spoken truth, art; prevalent among those known as composers of plots.
But as a rose grows from the pavement; it still shows that the root will rot.
A weak base meant the speech faced criticism and backlash,
And with a cynical take on the rap he decides to trash that.
Scratch it and step back,
Let the piece lead him to where his pens at.
Started as a love story; ended as a brag track.
"...the fags wack!"
Is all he can finish with as he sees a verse that he laughs at.

29. Adonis
Same situation as with YDK but to a lesser extent. Adonis was a mainstay in the AOWL throughout the season and contributed to the success of the league via his consistent showing and contributions to the discussion threads. He’s a good voter as well. He finished 3-5, though, and I felt his verses were a bit uneven in terms of wording. He did have some highlights, such as shutting out Zenland. He has talent but the downward pressure of the competition left me placing him here.

from AOWL Week 6 vs. Zenland
The courts only see the problem, never the reason,
He's fifteen and piecin', a rep together with ease, and...
He's bouncing house to house...System owned,
Thick skin grown as a family he's never known,
Little Daniel, a handful, such a problem child,
While his friends aren't different in their styles,
Each with a bad heart, his good if not for a murmur,
Born in the dumps and that was just a precursor.

30. Innovator
He finished 3-3 in the AOWL with a no show win. The other two were against YDK and breathless who also received lower seeding. He has a decent reputation as a topicalist but his performance has been uneven as of late. He has a knack for wording and imagery, and his rhymes are well crafted.

from AOWL Week 7 vs. YDK
The breeze from the east, the clouds west of the sun
The tide crashing at peace. Time with no pendulum
A santum for us, wed swim until our arms went numb.
Your Skin glistened.
And we fornicated as sin wished it.
Two misfits persistent in each other reflection
Perceived love perfect under the waves positon
A current so insistent and a rip tide convincing

The Long Shots
31. symetrik
A sort of unknown, at least to me, who participated in some weeks of the AOWL. I remember liking a couple of his verses in the league more than most. He often employs weird structures and wording, something I can appreciate.

from ‘Colour of Foundation’
(wake up!)
trench war politics, bricks to keep the stench in,
high school hiding spot, where kids would learn to French kiss,
and sip up off of the liquor drinks to stagger from establishment,
romanticizing sex with every chick they've ever had it with...

32. breathless
He had a rough start to his AOWL season but he eventually picked it up and made the playoffs. I think voters took some time to get accustomed to his style but eventually he had a relatively successful run in a pretty stacked league before running into NYCSPITZ in the first round of the playoffs. As a newer face to netcees he faces the problem of lack of recognition, and although he has some good qualities as a writer it may be too much to overcome.

from AOWL Week 6 vs. Mike Wrecka
An over the top underachiever
with nowhere to stop, and nothin to believe's there.
Once I leave here, with God hot on my heels it'll be fair.
I can feel the evil clutch of the devil tellin me to beware.

But fuck it, I haven't listened since I hit the level that I think I'm on.
Rock bottom, crushin gravel with my genius palms.
On the brink of reachin beyond but never stickin my neck out.
Tryin to keep positive, but honestly, I'm a wreck now.

Want the real truth? Ready for some feels dude?
Well, you came to the wrong guy. What a shame, for a long while.
I blamed all the songs I've made on this strong grind.
It's the way that's wears away all these lost rights.
Could you find me?
Old 01-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

EMERGENCY INFUSION OF LEVITY

Could you find me?
Old 01-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

Pregnancy, Handball, and NYCSPITZ
Interview

PB: Aside from yourself who do you think has the best shot of winning this tournament? Who do you think could surprise some people? Why?

NYC: Dead Man, Vulgar and Soulstice. Can't sleep on them they're too polished. All have been doing topicals at an elite level for at least 5+ years so they are vicious contenders, like rabid animals with 6x normal testosterone levels. My sleeper pick is Split Eight because he produces gems but not at a consistent enough level. If he can drop 5 dope ones, he can be in the finals but we'll see what he comes up with.

PB: Who are you favorite writers to read in the open mic section?

NYC: My favs are dead man, vulgar, and my childhood internet friend cristian gajardo aka big baby/all those aliases. All are creative and have a distinct style. Whenever I read these guys I'm sure to be shaking my head like "oh wow that was real witty" or "that was the dopest thing I've read this week x1000" or "these guys prob would have 4.0 gpas if they ever went to college". Dunno not hard to do these days. I was talking to some Columbia undergrads at a lounge the other day and they were really dumb. Talked to this Columbia grad from cornell with an afro and big boobies though and she was smart lulz should've at least bagged digits in retrospect but oh well. Dunno maybe dead and baby do go to college? Bottom line they have funny internet personas which probably are nothing close to how they act in real life but their OM writing is top tier. Actually I think big baby put up a funny facebook video up a while ago and it was kinda similar to his shenanigans here.

PB: How do you think the more battle-oriented writers (namely Bags and nik) will fare in such a stacked field?

NYC: Their hubris will damage their chances, dunno if ill nik-A is joking with that shit or if he's really that narcissistic tbr. Bags likes to joke a lot but I can't tell with nik, my guess is he truly thinks he is the greatest prob @ everything from shoe selection to text to topical to bagging hoes to halo3 to cooking BBQ in miami. Nika went undefeated in the last league I believe but he didn't really face anyone that was a problem. Bags is a clever man who writes cool battles and if he can translate that to topicals he will probably reach at least the second round. Nika I hold slightly higher than bags topical wise but I've only seen one of bag's shits.

PB: How has your mission to impregnate as many women as possible going? Do you still think that is the most alpha route a man can take?

NYC: I've decided not to impregnate any females until I relocate to South America and have established passive income of at least 5G/month or buy a successful small business. My place is probably gonna be Rio. Will impregnate about 25+ there once I do. Also would like 5+ in Europe, 5+ in Asia, 6 in Ireland and 5 in Canada. Fuck the USA I'll give them 4 though. Also would like 8 or more in Central America. As far as women in general I find that many young 20s hoes love sucking mid 20s cock so I'm exploiting that loophole in slut whore psychology. It's amusing how easy these hoes are to bag due to lack of life experience. I just met this fly yoga instructor though prob like my age 25 who I need to bone ASAP. I find women over a certain age expect you to have your own apartment which I don't because I work part-time due to not wanting to be a corporate piss ant. It's cool though my room is baller, in the ghetto but I just got this nerf basketball shit bro. Also got netflix and alcohol so the shorties aren't even an issue. Impregnating them will take capital and deception.

As far as the most alpha route that is a completely subjective thing. You can have a family man who is a baller Alpha male on some Liam Neeson, I'm gonna kill you just by hearing your voice on the phone type shit. Women would fuck him but he has PRINCIPLES like a true fucking warrior BOSS so he wouldn't. Men naturally become more alpha as they age so as long as you have a strong vision for life, believe in yourself and act in an alpha manner women should not be a problem.

PB: You're a fan of alcohol. Do you write drunk or are they separate and compartmentalized for you?

NYC: I typically do not write drunk. Drinking right now but a topical takes more focus than this. I have tried it maybe 5 times for topicals and it only worked like once I think. I start to think like a retard, become slow and type incoherently. I prefer stimulants, adderall or cocaine (did coke once, wrote the graffiti piece I got VOTM for in like 3 lines/minute) but usually I write sober or on coffee. When I smoked cigarettes I would write on them, I remember going through a pack of reds for inspiration when I was writing vs black in the ISTL. Beat him. Check my sig, beat him there too. I like his writing more than my own though.

PB: What sport is the true god-sport; handball or hockey? Which hockey player would be the best at handball?

NYC: Handball is because too many faggots play ice hockey. They stare at each others' dicks when they shower and it's weird. They used to swing their cocks in a circular manner and scream "HELICOPTER" when I was playing juniors, which is awkward. Also a lot of their parents live vicariously through them and feel they own their kids b/c of the money they pay to let them play. Also a lot of their parents are bourgeoisie/upper class homos who feel entitled.

Any minority hockey player would be king of handball. PK Subban would be an A-player (means you are godly at handball)

NYC: If you had a son and you found out he had an inoperable tumor what would you make for dinner for your family after the doctor's visit?

I would order w/e the fuck the lil man wanted to be real. Then get my wife/GF to suck my dick while I mourned and played Confessions II in the background.

PB: Any comments/shout outs/last remarks?

NYC: I will show.

OPENING ROUND MATCHUP PREVIEWS
But who was logic?

It might seem a bit counter-intuitive for me to do match previews as I made up the seeding of the bracket. If I placed someone as a higher seed then logic would dictate that I’d invariably pick the higher seed. While that’s true in a sense, I made the seeding in list format without the actual matchups in mind. There’s the distinct possibility that a certain matchup favors a lower seed depending on the strengths and weaknesses of the opponents and how they match up. Plus every magazine has it and people enjoy reading about themselves. I’ll take the topic of the match up into consideration as well.

(1) dead man vs. (32) breathless
dead man is the clear favorite. He’s the #1 seed for a reason and the topic lends itself well to his trademarked style. breathless has a unique way of writing but he’s received the toughest of draws in the opening round. I attempt to be optimistic for all participants in these magazines but if dead man shows it’s hard to see a scenario where breathless pulls off the upset. He might be able to use the underdog role as motivation to impress some voters.
deadman 95/5

(16) Mr. J vs. (17) Witty
A close call, as the 16/17 matchup should be. As I stated in the opening paragraph for this section just because I seeded someone higher doesn’t necessarily mean I think they’ll win their matchup, based on how the two writers match up. There’s quite a bit going on in this matchup; Mr. J is one of bedrocks of Open Mic and topical competition, with consistency and punctuality being his calling card. Witty, on the other hand, is a bit more mercurial. If both writers show, and Witty’s given his word that he will, this is almost a dead-heat. I think Witty may actually have higher potential. This could be one of the closest match ups of the first round and I’m going to go with the slight upset, if only by a slim margin.
Witty 55/45

(8) ZYG vs. (25) Zenland
Interesting battle consisting of two of the weirder writers in the tournament, albeit for different reasons. As I stated in the writer profiles, Zenland has been working with a handful of different styles and subject matters as of late. Zygote, though, is one of the best at handling multiple formats. I think Zenland will make this battle hard-fought as he’s one of most dedicated writers on the site but based on talent alone I think Zygote walks away with the victory.
ZYG 75/25

(9) big baby vs. (24) Fig
By far the battle I’m looking forward to the most if both writers show. Both big baby and Fig are quirky personas. big baby carries that persona over into his writing quite a bit (unless it’s a love poem <333) whereas Fig’s writing is decidedly different than what his persona would indicate. big baby is a real threat to make it far in this tournament if he shows consistently and Fig is one of my picks to be a sleeper. The deciding factor, though, is that big baby is more experienced and has honed in his style and technical ability whereas Fig is still elevating towards his eventual place among the highly respected writers on this site. Looking forward to this one; look for Fig to make it close.
big baby 65/35

(4) Frank vs. (29) Adonis
Photographs/images play into Frank’s style more than any other type of topic, in my opinion. He would’ve been a heavy favorite regardless of the topic so the topics this week did no favors for Adonis. Much like breathless, Adonis has some nice qualities as a writer but he’s up against one of the most respected writers on the site, someone who should be able to pretty handedly outwrite him. My only advice would be to try and beat Frank on a conceptual level, but even then it probably won’t be enough. Best of luck.
Frank 80/20

(13) trap vs. (20) CopyPat
This should be an interesting matchup. As I mentioned in the writer profiles I’m not very familiar with trap’s work but know he’s respected on the topical side of things. I like the little I have seen. On the other hand, I’m very familiar with Pat’s open mic and cypher work. I think this battle comes down to who can relate to the topic the best. If Pat can beat, or just match, trap on a conceptual level I think he’ll win this due to his technical ability. Could be a surprise BOTW contender. I’m going with the slight upset.
Pat 55/45

(5) NYCSPITZ vs. (YDK)
Good battle. YDK’s has definitely improved within the topical scene in my mind and I was impressed by a couple of his verses in the AOWL. He has the poetic background so he should be able to relate and touch on the content of the topic well. NYC, though, is a true heavy hitter and one of the handful of favorites within the field. If YDK drops the best verse he’s written on the site and NYC drops a bit below expectations I can still see NYC winning.
NYC 80/20

(12) ill nik-A vs. (21) oXus
Tough draw for the higher seed. nik is arguably the most recognized topical writer as a battler, at the very least the battler who cares the most about writing. oXus, on the other hand, isn’t as prolific or recognized on a large scale but among the writing community I feel he’s held in pretty high esteem. For such a large disparity in seeding I believe this will be a very close match, maybe coming down to the deadline with the vote difference being small. nik is obsessed with his reputation as the best at any and everything whereas oXus seems to care a bit less. I think that may be the deciding factor in an otherwise even matchup.
ill nik-A 55/45

(2) Pent uP vs. (31) symetrik
symetrik has some flashes of nice writing. I enjoyed some of his entries in the AOWL; he’s a bit off kilter and that’s always nice to see. But the fact of the matter is that Pent is going to win if he shows. No disrespect intended but I haven’t seen anything from symetrik that would cause me to believe he has a chance at the upset.
Pent uP 95/5

(15) Wise Ways vs. (18) Vividlyvague
Great battle. This matchup is the perfectly example of how stacked this tournament is. Wise is one of most recognized open mic writers on the site and VV was just in the semi-finals of the AOWL. I think the topic favors Wise. Also, Wise has a very distinct and honed in style whereas VV is still figuring out his own. He sometimes reads a little sloppy, a problem I’ve never encountered in reading a Wise Ways verse. On the other hand, I have no doubts at all in VV showing and there’s a chance Wise no-shows. All things considered I’ll take Wise as the slight favorite.
Wise 55/45

(7) Lars vs. (26) Objective
This depends almost entirely on Lars’ level of commitment. If he shows and writes to his potential he should win without much difficulty. If he does show but drops a verse a bit below expectations Objective is a strong enough writer to take advantage. For the purposes of this prediction I’m going to assume Lars has his heart in the competition and writes a verse worthy of his reputation and past accomplishments.
Lars 70/30

(10) Certain vs. (23) Mike Wrecka
Mod battle! Certain and Mike were the mod team that made the AOWL such a success this season and now they’ll face off in the opening round. Certain’s quickly established himself within the writing community as a respected topical writer and serious threat in leagues and tournaments. Mike champed the WCL but he’s been a bit hit or miss lately. Both are good with the conceptual side of topical battling but it’s Mike’s strength so he has an advantage there. Certain is, in my opinion, the stronger writer. I think the disparity in writing ability is greater than the disparity in concepts. If Mike can regain his former mojo there’s a chance for an upset but Certain is the most dedicated and serious topical writer on the site currently. He won’t mail it in so I find it tough to predict an upset here.
Certain 65/35

(3) Vulgar vs. (30) Innovator
Of the bottom four seeds Innovator has the highest ceiling. He has the writing ability to compete with many participants seeded above him. Of course, he’s matched up against Vulgar who could easily have been the #1 overall seed. I think Innovator can make the battle slightly interesting but I can’t envision an actual upset.
Vulgar 90/10

(14) Split Eight vs. (19) Veritas
Possible BOTW. Split has really come into his own lately and I’ve read more than one comment saying he’s the most improved writer of 2013. Can’t say that I disagree. I put him as the #14 seed simply due to the talent in this tournament and the fact he’s only recently really started turning heads. He’s a legitimate threat. Veritas’ writing, as I’ve said, is a bit uneven to me but I can see him dialing it in and dropping a good to great verse for this competition. Two interesting boarders and writers. Aside from big baby/Fig this is the match I’m looking forward to the most in the opening round. I think Split continues his ascent and makes a statement.
Split Eight 70/30

(6) Soulstice vs. (27) Coup
I’m not too familiar with Coup and I’ve only read one verse from Soulstice. I do know that Soulstice has the reputation and legacy. Coup’s a solid writer from the few verses I’ve seen. This is my least informed opinion of all the match previews as I’m making it almost purely off of word of mouth.
Soulstice 70/30

(11) Bags vs. (22) Just Write
Baguerro. Just Write is a definite sleeper. He’s been much more active in the topical/writing scene than his competitor. Bags is a Netcees HOF’er with a good topical pedigree. This is among the handful of battles in the opening round that could truly go either way. I think Bags’ approach to the topic could be the difference in the end, though. He often uses creative concepts or takes clichéd concepts and makes them unique through his verse. Regardless, this should be close.
Bags 60/40
Could you find me?
Old 01-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #6
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

Fig: Potentially Dangerous Rapist, or funny little Hispanic?
Interview

PB: Aside from yourself, who do you think has the best chance of winning the tournament? Who do you think could make a surprising run?

Fig: I can see zygote taking it all. He writes like a robot. But maybe bags? Everyone has been, yeah bags oh, oh yeah, bags, wha. So he could. Of course, the talent is really fucking strong in this tourney. Anyone in the top 5 seeding could take it without much shock

PB: What caused you to start playing on netcees? Are you as weird and sordid in real life as you are on this site? How's your dog?

Fig: I mod this little subreddit that is like the OM if the OM sucked. But someone was like, hey this place netcees has way better writers but everyone is a dick. So I was like, shit alright, I guess I'll spend the rest of my life there. Sordid? Fuck you cake. I don't know what that means. I'm normal as fuck. My dog
is fine, I just fucked her.

PB: Who are you favorite writers in the open mic?

Fig: I like split and black. They're conceptually fuckable.

PB: What/who influences/influenced the way you write? Both on and off the site?

Fig: No one influenced me. I hear this hobo mumbling at night and I just write down some things he says.

PB: You recently quit discussion before coming back a few hours later. What did you learn about yourself in that time?

Fig: How tight masaiis grandpa is. Not tight at all.

PB: How do you think the two battlers (nik/bags) will fare in such a stacked topical competition?

Fig: They will lose first round for being inadequate topicalists. They are only battlers.

PB: Please name one person you hate on this website. No explanation necessary.

Fig: You. But that's what makes the sex so good.

PB: Why the horse, and the general obsession with posting animals such as ducks?

Fig: The house represents sexual perversion. The eagle represents my freedom to give in to that perversion. The ducks are just ducks.

PB: Suppose big baby and Certain are forced to fight to the death and you, in turn, are forced to help one. Who do you help and why?

Fig: I would help certain by killing him with baby's leg. Certain is dying inside.

PB: Favorite menu item on taco bell?

Fig: I fucking hate taco bell. I bought one of this shitty failure nacho wraps from there yesterday. I pooped on impact.

PB: List some reasons why you'll win this tournament?

Fig: EAGLHORSE 3-9

PB: Any shout outs/closing remarks?

Fig:Once you go black, your family disowns you. So don't. Peace.

Closing Remarks
Finally

I hope you all enjoyed the magazine. It took some time to complete but hopefully it helps the participants in getting motivated for the first round. Although many claim the site is dead, it keeps moving forward. Hopefully a big tournament like this can be successful and pump a little bit of life into good old Nessy's. Good luck in your opening round match, I look forward to reading and voting on every one.

-Dancake

Could you find me?
Old 01-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
ill nik-A
Super Senior Member

Battle Record: 70-25

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- Battle Arena
- BA Picture
- Picture Battle Tournament
- Netcees Battle League (3x)
- Netcees Writers League (2x)
- Summer Classic VI
- Fall Brawl III
- Netcees Battle League Season X
- Lyric Olympics

ill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant future

I didn't beat anyone that was a problem? So Geno, pancake and pent up are not a problem, nice NYC u faggot

Nice mag
Old 01-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #8
Ghost1

Battle Record: 0-1

Ghost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant future

Awesome

Veritas losin fore he sees me tho. Shame.

Id honestky say split takes him.out rd1

Rip 2yr topical grudge re match obsession.
Ghost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #9
Ghost1

Ghost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant future

Oh....an while were calling nyc a stupid faggot

Nik wasnt undefeated that season

I beat him for the belt :)
Old 01-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #10
big baby
obsessed

Battle Record: Faggot-1

Accomplishments
- can recite entirety of shrek 2

Champed
- tangoed with spider man behind scenes in spider-man 2
- was candidate for gerber baby 3x
- smush parker like bb comment on instagram saying "u fucka suck idiyote"
- smush beer on head and didn't cry
- parallel parked in between 2 ferrari's in tonky truck once
- when saying pledge of allegiance i said "i don't" lmao deadass bb satan
- won tshirt from taco bell saying "taco cat" is the same backwards for filling out 500 surveys in a
- neighbor house caught on fire i call FIRE department and saved lives, was in newspaper
- set neighbor house on fire lmao
- fuck neighbor husband and wife
- first fish caught resembled david ortiz
- colin kaepernick
- related to genghis khan
- elected assistant to the vice president assistant to the president for regional chess club
- never lost game of hide and seek

big baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to big baby

Stellar. I said I wouldnt use that word, but Im the one who can and cannot use it.

lol @ nyc's bit. Silly little guy. I'd say much more upon that topic but now isn't the time. Cristian is silly. I think the seeding was actually much more accurate than I'd thought it'd be. I actually think my seeding was accurate. Usually I have a eyeroll on some of the settings and opinions of the guy running the show, but oddly, in this case it came to not hold that sentiment. I lol'ed at the romantic pieces quip about me

And yes I am just as, if not as zany in person, so this whole, 'you would never do that in real life' accusation sometimes baffles me because I would fuck a diaper full of shit. Not to impress or prove a point, but who cares? Anyway, of course nika has something to say like always, can't appreciate shit and although I'm not a fan of oXus in that department, I think he'll pull the upset. (I particularly think both writers in that battle think VERY highly of themselves) the part when NYC bashed nika for thinking he's the best at everything literally had me lol'ing. The consistency of the joke in that sentence was great. Fig's responses were expected, but that's the thing. He's fig. Reminds me of myself when I was his age (like a few years ago, I'm not old), though I think I was better at writing at the time, I think fig has large sums of potential if he actually focuses. Not to say he isn't focusing, but you know. Certain's seed seems appropriate. He's just one of the guys that shows up and just grants a larger percentage in anything he does, which is awesome. Mathetmically his odds would be something like 28% of winning, but since he's consistent and shows, you can double those numbers atop with another 15% and you got a serious contender. The question of me showing isn't really the question here, the question of me actually caring is. I don't do well in battles because I feel contained to a certain style of restrictive writing. In boxing, it's different. Physically I can do what I want, when I want, just to please the judges, though I have land crisp clean punches, power, and jab, to the body, head and defend myself promptly. Which I can do. In writing, it's different. You have to impress people, anybody -that's voting. My brain doesn't do well in that area. I rarely 'battle' and although it's in a scenery that I'm used too - writing in general, I tend to not try my best (rarely do) and just put whatever. Not to say that the other person didn't have to do anything with it either. I don't like taking away from what has been done, regardless of my inability, or my actions. But who knows, maybe I'll find a burst of motivation. I know I'm the better writer, but it has to translate onto paper, or whatever, HTML.

Good Mag. I'm going to pm @ZYG about the OM reviews. I might do them if he won't. Or give him a hand.
If mentioned in a discussion its who'd still use wordy lines and act all dope
Then again hes had this schtick so long he like bb da bb da bb thats all folks
big baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #11
Ghost1

Did u say my name in that long ass paragraph?

An yo.

That jesus biker pic fuckin ruined me....hahaha.....whats that shit from?
Old 01-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #12
big baby
obsessed

Battle Record: Faggot-1

Accomplishments
- can recite entirety of shrek 2

Champed
- tangoed with spider man behind scenes in spider-man 2
- was candidate for gerber baby 3x
- smush parker like bb comment on instagram saying "u fucka suck idiyote"
- smush beer on head and didn't cry
- parallel parked in between 2 ferrari's in tonky truck once
- when saying pledge of allegiance i said "i don't" lmao deadass bb satan
- won tshirt from taco bell saying "taco cat" is the same backwards for filling out 500 surveys in a
- neighbor house caught on fire i call FIRE department and saved lives, was in newspaper
- set neighbor house on fire lmao
- fuck neighbor husband and wife
- first fish caught resembled david ortiz
- colin kaepernick
- related to genghis khan
- elected assistant to the vice president assistant to the president for regional chess club
- never lost game of hide and seek

big baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to big baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost1 View Post

An yo.

Just ctrl+f it, and no I don't think so.
If mentioned in a discussion its who'd still use wordy lines and act all dope
Then again hes had this schtick so long he like bb da bb da bb thats all folks
big baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #13
NYCSPITZ
SYRACUSE

Battle Record: 31-37

Champed
- Write Night II
- Alias Topical Tournament

NYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant future

lol @ ill nik and bags

u r a problem bro
Old 01-08-2014, 09:18 PM   #14
Boredom
Been On One

Battle Record: 26-28

Champed
- Newbie Tournament IV

Boredom has a brilliant futureBoredom has a brilliant futureBoredom has a brilliant futureBoredom has a brilliant futureBoredom has a brilliant futureBoredom has a brilliant futureBoredom has a brilliant futureBoredom has a brilliant futureBoredom has a brilliant futureBoredom has a brilliant futureBoredom has a brilliant future

very well put together mag, props foorreeeaaal
Boredom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #15
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost1 View Post

An yo.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jesu...w=1366&bih=666

Enjoy.
Could you find me?
Old 01-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #16
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Battle Record: 40-19

Champed
- AOWL Season 3
- Art of Writing League (2x)

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

Fig likes me more than you, big baby.
Certain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #17
NYCSPITZ
SYRACUSE

Battle Record: 31-37

Champed
- Write Night II
- Alias Topical Tournament

NYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant future

@PancakeBrah thqnk u for mag brah
Old 01-08-2014, 09:57 PM   #18
Ghost1

LOL those r my favorite meme now.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #19
Mike Wrecka
WOW

Battle Record: 29-25

Champed
- Writing Challenge League I

Mike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant future

good shit brah
Old 01-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #20
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabet View Post
very well put together mag, props foorreeeaaal
appreciate it. hope you get the chance to participate. im sure you will, three no shows out of 32 people is to be expected in any tournament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
@PancakeBrah thqnk u for mag brah
no problem my fellow alchy. thanks for the entertaining interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wrecka View Post
good shit brah
thx to the best #23 seed in the history of topical tourneys. hope you bring it against certain. could be a classic.
Could you find me?

Tags
best topical tourney, good job., magnificent!, pre cum spectacle show, swell job bro, thank you., this mag makes dicks hard