Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

User Tag List

Old 06-01-2014, 11:15 PM   #1
Zen
Arm the Homeless

Battle Record: 22-24

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Zen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant future
Default The Storm

I can think of a thousand words that rhyme, none of them good. None of them expresses what I'm feeling. You'd think some of them would.
I saw her last weekend. Her hair was shorter than I remember. She left me awhile back, a cold morning in December.
We were arguing over nothing, seems that's all we ever did. She busted through the door to leave. She hasn't saw me since.
I walked up to her forcing a smile across my face. She turned my way, and my eyes caught her gaze.
We both said hey and talked through the awkwardness. She was about to walk away, "what've you gotten outta all of this?"
The question stopped her. "What do you mean?" Her face said it all, I was nothing but grief.
"Nothing," I said. "It was good to see you." I walked away first. I felt I needed to.
Then I realized I'm still in that same mindset. Still trying to win...
I always needed the last word, always right to the end.
I heard she got engaged in July. Some tall, lanky blonde asshole. I always hated them guys.
Jesus, tears fill my face from my eyes. I'm all alone, chained to my pride. I went on a walk thinking on my life. At first I thought of ways to try and make her mine. That wouldn't happen. Give it a break. I sighed.
The weather was warm as thunder roared in the distance. I watched the clouds roll for more than a minute. It calmed me, as beautiful a storm ever witnessed...but the silence that followed, that chorus of existence. Nothing more.

Zen.

Bliss.

Last edited by Zen; 06-01-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:20 AM   #2
Vulgar
Razor-thin derision

Battle Record: 40-25

Accomplishments
- OM HOF

Champed
- Fight Night LIV
- Gimmick Battle League (2x)
- Write Week II
- Art of Writing League
- Storytelling And Topical Invitational Tournament
- STI
- Haiku Writer Challenge
- GWL Picture Challenge(2x)

Vulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant future

"Jesus, tears fill my face from my eyes. I'm all alone, chained to my pride. I went on a walk thinking on my life. At first I thought of ways to try and make her mine. That wouldn't happen. Give it a break. I sighed."

The way you portrayed the emotional response to rejection was really involving. I think most human beings go through these trials. Accessible, good rhyming, similar to oatmeal's strengths. A little more metaphorical experimentation would work well for you, methinks.

Keep doing you
Vulgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:36 AM   #3
Geno
White Earl

Battle Record: 10-15

Accomplishments
- Open Mic HOF (4x)

Champed
- Netcees Writers League
- Write Week I
- Write Week 8

Geno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Geno

up
Old 06-14-2014, 03:37 AM   #4
e11even
V.V

Battle Record: 31-20

e11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant future

I really like how vulnerable i felt reading this. Just the fact that it came off so convincingly. good shit. I dug the whole thing. most of this awareness is stuff I never say out loud but I ponder this way all the time. I hope you feel better, but this highlights a better writer in you Zen. This is something that makes sense.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
Kin
Kill.It.Nonstop

Battle Record: 3-3

Kin has a brilliant futureKin has a brilliant futureKin has a brilliant futureKin has a brilliant futureKin has a brilliant futureKin has a brilliant futureKin has a brilliant futureKin has a brilliant futureKin has a brilliant futureKin has a brilliant futureKin has a brilliant future

whoaaa...didn't expect this to be so deep..

def. a Talented writer right here...stories are always a challange and you made it like I was watching a short story instead of reading.

Hats off to you Zen.... True story also???
Kin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
Zen
Arm the Homeless

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Zen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant future

Everything I've ever wrote is true.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:15 AM   #7
dull boy
consults Lloyd

Battle Record: 0-8

Champed
-1-2 Punch League Roast

dull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenland View Post
Everything I've ever wrote is true.
:)
dull boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:32 AM   #8
Zen
Arm the Homeless

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Quote:
Originally Posted by dull boy View Post
:)
Glad you understood that.

How are you, dull? I'll assume that's your actual first name.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:09 AM   #9
david stern razor burns
with razor spurs

Location: At David Blaine's favorite place with David Spade and Macy Gray

david stern razor burns has a brilliant futuredavid stern razor burns has a brilliant futuredavid stern razor burns has a brilliant futuredavid stern razor burns has a brilliant futuredavid stern razor burns has a brilliant futuredavid stern razor burns has a brilliant futuredavid stern razor burns has a brilliant futuredavid stern razor burns has a brilliant futuredavid stern razor burns has a brilliant futuredavid stern razor burns has a brilliant futuredavid stern razor burns has a brilliant future

Aren't we just a lovely little poet now?
Obviously still stinging. This was from the heart. Great imagery, solid story telling. Rather different from your more common style of the rhyming being the showcase and the content secondary. The scheming took a back seat to your story today. If you can manage do both a la Black D than you really have got it made. Stay real, Zen.
david stern razor burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:27 PM   #10
dead man
living

Battle Record: 33-18

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- AOWL Season 1
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 4
- Write Week V
- GWL Season 1

dead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant future

this was fantastic.

I'm too wrecked to elaborate but great, great work.

thank you

Quote:
The weather was warm as thunder roared in the distance. I watched the clouds roll for more than a minute. It calmed me, as beautiful a storm ever witnessed...but the silence that followed, that chorus of existence. Nothing more.
reminiscent of "grapevine fires" by deathcab. not in any specific capacity just the way it made me feel was similar. I'm going to nominate this for HOF.

Last edited by dead man; 06-15-2014 at 11:29 PM.
dead man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #11
oats
Steel Cut

Battle Record: 19-10

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

oats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant future

I have much to say about this, and I will, once I get back to the states. In summation: good shit, wish it was longer.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:53 AM   #12
Split

Battle Record: 27-22

Split has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oats View Post
I have much to say about this, and I will, once I get back to the states. In summation: good shit, wish it was longer.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:01 AM   #13
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Battle Record: 2-5

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

PancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond repute

I'm known for writing emotional/sappy pieces about gurlz but nothing I've ever written is as confident as this. Or good, really. You didn't feel the need to spruce this up with superfluous language or text bullshit. It was real, just happened to rhyme. The ability to pull off the 'done before' relies on meaning it, and you meant it. The 'what have you gained out of this?' line was the best, one of my favorites from the open mic in a while. It was just placed and paced perfectly, and the actual phrase itself is one that can be applied to so much of our collective ado, especially in the realm of relationships. The self-awareness and introspection didn't come off as precious here, it was honest. Even if the sentiments have been spelled out before it was earnest here which is more than most can say. I mostly remember you from AOWL S2 but you've obviously improved quite a bit from that stage of your writing if this piece is evidence. I'm a fan and connoisseur of these pieces and you did the form very well. The ending storm section was also well done; a bit of a flourish.

Thanks for the read.
And the ditch in the back road stop
Could you find me?
PancakeBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:49 AM   #14
gitto138

Battle Record: BITER

gitto138 drags down this site on a Masaii-levelgitto138 drags down this site on a Masaii-levelgitto138 drags down this site on a Masaii-levelgitto138 drags down this site on a Masaii-levelgitto138 drags down this site on a Masaii-levelgitto138 drags down this site on a Masaii-levelgitto138 drags down this site on a Masaii-levelgitto138 drags down this site on a Masaii-levelgitto138 drags down this site on a Masaii-levelgitto138 drags down this site on a Masaii-levelgitto138 drags down this site on a Masaii-level

This is the third time reading this short emotional story, worded perfect i might ad, perfected and uses simplified yet illustrative imagination, really heart felt and real, props man
gitto138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:40 AM   #15
Pharaohs Army
Banned

Battle Record: 6 - 14

Pharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant future

very well done from a technical standpoint and also a sincere subject matter, and insight to your mindset during the event at hand
Pharaohs Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:14 AM   #16
JESODIST

Battle Record: 3-3

JESODIST has a brilliant futureJESODIST has a brilliant futureJESODIST has a brilliant futureJESODIST has a brilliant futureJESODIST has a brilliant futureJESODIST has a brilliant futureJESODIST has a brilliant futureJESODIST has a brilliant futureJESODIST has a brilliant futureJESODIST has a brilliant futureJESODIST has a brilliant future

Well we are all men here, woman deserve their respect. Especially if they can get someone like zen weak enough to write an entire verse lol
JESODIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #17
Split

Battle Record: 27-22

Split has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond repute

^truuu

I'm feeding this via PM as part of something else.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #18
Eŋg
rhyme capsule.

Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg

stripping away the bells and whistles most of us commonly employ in our writing )in this venue, at least( and allowing the simplicity of language to bring forth a very organic potency is appreciated. i didn't really like this until the dialogue began, if i'm honest, but i can see even the somewhat mundane writing before it was necessary to pad out what would follow. i haven't read a lot from you, idk if this is your style or what, but i liked this even if my impression of you now is that of an emophag.

jk. semi-serious, actually. but there worse things.
Eŋg is offline   Reply With Quote