oats
Steel Cut

Battle Record: 19-10

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

oats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant future

I personally think somewhere in the 300s is a good limit; 12 pages a day for 31 days is 372 pages, which is (should be) doable for anyone. but in general don't let length deter you, just pick something you wanna read.

and also, appreciate the discussion about Between the World and Me, props to everyone who read it!
Old 09-29-2017, 09:42 PM   #22
uh-oh
DA GOD

Battle Record: 1-0

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

for how smart you dudes are it amazes me you can't see that his world view is shit, and he writes from an angle to support it. every perceived slight in his life no matter who it came from, he follows the convenient trail of white supremacy. oh that black kid brandishing a pistol? thats cuz white people had slaves man. oh this white lady jostled my son, and some white man stood up for her! its an institution of white hate out to get me. those firefighters running into that building just saving white people, but i bet they would destroy my precious black body if given a chance

fuck off

people are individuals. his mindset is poisonous and i don't understand how anyone can defend it.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:44 PM   #23
uh-oh
DA GOD

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

IM ANGERED

but nah in all honesty i didnt see the last couple posts and was trying to get this going again

DEBATE IT OUT
Old 09-29-2017, 09:59 PM   #24
oats
Steel Cut

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

oats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant future

I mean, when you mischaracterize the book like that it becomes easier to understand your POV, but yeah, the long history of discrimination against black people in America - including housing discrimination post-Civil Rights that further entrenched poverty in black neighborhoods - has effects. seems strange to argue against that. economists have done studies where they will apply to jobs with identical resumes but change the names between stereotypical black names and typical white names (IE Jamal vs. Tyler or something) and the white-named applicants were called back at a way higher rate. Is that because employers across America are all hooded white supremacists? no, it's because there is deep-rooted, historically reinforced subconscious discrimination in a lot pockets of society. even in 2017.

I think where it gets upsetting for people when the real disadvantages of black people is used as a substitute for personal responsibility and decision making, which I totally understand. thing is, the regular mistakes and bad decisions etc that everyone makes are often significantly worse for black people. the issue of police brutality, which statistically affects black people disproportionately, stems from this. sure, some people probably play the victim card and blame everyone else for being lazy pieces of shit, but facts suggest that it takes WAY more effort to be successful as a black person than it does as a white person.

on another note, what you said about the firefighters reminded me of the Ohio fireman who recently got suspended for saying he'd rather save dogs than niggers.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:29 PM   #25
uh-oh
DA GOD

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

* a million

and man i typed out a pretty eloquent response but hit something and my browser went "back" and i just went forward and its gone.

but now we are straying from this book anyways so i won't go through the trouble of retyping out a bunch of nonsense. but basically i agree with alot of that, it would just be nice to see some responsibility for your own actions, and less wanting people who never wronged you to drop everything and hold your hand.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:34 PM   #26
oats
Steel Cut

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

I'm with you on that. Btw you cool with choosing the November book @uh-oh?
Old 09-29-2017, 10:38 PM   #27
uh-oh
DA GOD

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

yea for sure, i have one i've wanted to read but haven't pulled the trigger on. so i'll put that on the backburner, as a back up as i look for something else as well. cuz while its not an epic fantasy novel or anything, just a novella, it is a companion book, that i'm not sure if it will work as a standalone without knowing the world, so i'll look for something else but that will be my back up.

its written by a huge libtard too so no worries on that front lol
Old 09-29-2017, 10:40 PM   #28
oats
Steel Cut

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

lol THANK GOD. nah I look forward to it. I'm betting that Bags has us read 50 Shades Darker for October.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:53 PM   #29
Pinot Grij

Battle Record: 23-19

Accomplishments
- OM HOF

Champed
- Fight Night 2
- Write Week V
- Netcees Battle League (2x)
- Winter Topical II
- 1-2 Punch league

Pinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant future

@uh-oh the mindset I tried to relate on with Coates because I can't relate personally was if, say, a drunk driver killed a good friend of mine.... ok, now I'm mad that my friend is gone, and drunk driving is clearly a CHOICE someone makes. So I decide now to devote my life to trying to keep people from drunk driving... but guess what.. it doesn't change. People keep driving drunk and killing OTHER PEOPLE'S loved ones. I'm angry. I'm angry that people can make a choice about what they're doing to avoid the loss of life, but they WON'T.No matter what my efforts are and how much I realize this is WRONG, people keep getting into cars and killing innocent people because they are making a bad choice. Now imagine that drunk drivers are only killing people in your neighbourhood MORE OFTEN than anybody else. It doesn't make sense. These are normal people just trying to live their lives and they're just dying for no reason. Would you HATE drunk drivers?? OR would you just say, "There were drunk drivers in my neighbourhood when I was a kid, and I didn't die, so maybe these people should just be better at jaywalking." ????

If Ann Coulter wrote a book about her personal experiences, and we're all gonna read it, I'm all for it. I might disagree with it, but I will know something about wherever she grew up that I didn't know before. But what she can't write about is that people of her background's lives are at stake on a daily basis. For Coates, and maybe not ALL black people, he felt that was the case growing up in a city that is notorious for its gun crime.

I really don't understand the impetus for the American right wing movement. I don't get the "suck it up, buttercup" attitude. Things are not equal for everyone, especially in a country that has left such an enormous amount of its population at such an enormous disadvantage for your country's entire existence. Do you not equate your "it's not so bad" attitude with the systemic racism that keeps ordinary people from living out their goals and dreams all the same as others?
Old 10-01-2017, 11:44 PM   #30
oats
Steel Cut

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

everyone who read and discussed, I appreciate you. Coates has a new book of essays which I plan on reading at some point (and I'm sure @uh-oh will as well):

https://www.amazon.com/We-Were-Eight.../dp/0399590560
@Diode you can unsticky this if you want. or you can give me some mod powers in here to do this type of shit without asking you every time, either way.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:41 AM   #31
Ghost1

Battle Record: 0-1

Ghost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant future

I stuck the thread and can unstick it lol

U can have modnpowers too if u like tho
Not saying being drunk doesn’t mess up you reasoning. I’m turning 20 soon so I haven’t had a drink ever.
Ghost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:32 AM   #32
oats
Steel Cut

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

either way @Bags. figured it might be easier, but if you're on it, then it's all good.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:32 AM   #33
oats
Steel Cut

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

also, consider choosing Kung Fu High School by Ryan Gattis ;)
Old 10-02-2017, 08:30 AM   #34
Ghost1

Battle Record: 0-1

Ghost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant future

I picked something likely far more boring lol
Not saying being drunk doesn’t mess up you reasoning. I’m turning 20 soon so I haven’t had a drink ever.
Ghost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:44 AM   #35
big baby
obsessed

Battle Record: Faggot-1

Accomplishments
- can recite entirety of shrek 2

Champed
- tangoed with spider man behind scenes in spider-man 2
- was candidate for gerber baby 3x
- smush parker like bb comment on instagram saying "u fucka suck idiyote"
- smush beer on head and didn't cry
- parallel parked in between 2 ferrari's in tonky truck once
- when saying pledge of allegiance i said "i don't" lmao deadass bb satan
- won tshirt from taco bell saying "taco cat" is the same backwards for filling out 500 surveys in a
- neighbor house caught on fire i call FIRE department and saved lives, was in newspaper
- set neighbor house on fire lmao
- fuck neighbor husband and wife
- first fish caught resembled david ortiz
- colin kaepernick
- related to genghis khan
- elected assistant to the vice president assistant to the president for regional chess club
- never lost game of hide and seek

big baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to big baby

i didn’t read it lmao fuck u
If mentioned in a discussion its who'd still use wordy lines and act all dope
Then again hes had this schtick so long he like bb da bb da bb thats all folks
big baby is offline   Reply With Quote