Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Vault > Archives > The Netcees archive > Writing Challenge League

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
zygote

Battle Record: 33-12

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Art of Writing League (3x)

zygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant future
Default WEEK 5 REVIEW.

WRITING CHALLENGE TOURNAMENT WEEK 5 REVIEW.

General Writers Review.
(1) TYSON: DNC. Is signed back in for this week.
(2) Nigma: It’s not in Nigma’s style to deny extensions, complain or seek disqualification of his opponent, he will always strive to see the full contest arise. Good values this week in how you dealt with your opponents somewhat sketchy stretching of the ambiguous rules. For your submission, perhaps if it had one flaw it was the pacing. Where you usually begin slowly with a number of less clearly defined statements to get the reader thinking; this week you moved quickly straight into a storyline. It’s good to read this different style of writing from you. Perhaps if you can refine it further it can supplement and strengthen your regular writing tone. Awarded 2 points. Voluntarily signed out.
(3) Innovator: One of the commenters wrote about Starship Troopers, which was a great example of popculture containing themes similar to your submission this week. Not much to add besides what was written in my vote on the contest. Many of the other voters also enjoyed the progression of the story. Awarded 1 point.
(4) Adonis: Perhaps you and Pent uP had the most interesting topic this week. Non est factum – not my deed. Enjoyed the submission this week a lot Adonis, felt it was your most cohesive and effective mind twister yet. Many real poetic off-kilter lines – E.g., the ending, the goose bumps part. You have a unique and powerful writing style, I feel like if you want to win more you need to refine it, but don’t do that. The style is far too interesting to be diluted through conformity. Awarded 1 point.
(5) NYCSPITZ: DNC. Is signed back in.
(6) Storyteller: Must be confused with all the conflicting feedback, first he was ambiguous then he wrote a historical epic, now he is vague again, still searching for a medium. Feels like your almost there, things will click soon, all you can do is continue to write. I see a lot of passion in your writing, but it either lacks direction or you write on a topic you seem to not care for. Perhaps write about Guam, the beaches and palm trees. It will all click for you soon. Awarded 1 points.
(7) Objective: It’s as if Objective toned it down for this week, also seems to have regressed in terms of rhyme scheme in comparison to the last few submissions. Perhaps it was an intentionally choice, but can’t really see how it would improve the atmosphere. Maybe it was meant to be like the transcript of a court hearing? Very simple, descriptive style this week, often that can be good to employ but you need some more gritty topic if you want to write in that realism style. The subject matter needs to be brutal for it to work. It had its moments like the crime description, but especially straight after PanckaeBrah’s, perhaps you needed to be more refined this week. Awarded 1 point.
(8) Pent uP: The story was good but the most interesting thing this week was its style. It was kind of like omnipresent first person past tense. It definitely helped to highlight those long action scenes, they were visceral and well described. Specific details for immersion without losing the plot, but the writing tense also meant there were a lot of ‘I get’ ‘I find’ ‘I was’ ‘I knew’ ‘I did’ phrases – don’t know how to feel about it. In one sense it’s a little irritating after extended use. In another way without this unique tone it wouldn’t be the submission it was. On balance it was a good stylistic choice. Reading these comments it seems the voters found parts of it polarizing too. Awarded 2 points.
(9) oats: DNC.
(10) Boredom: Double back to back no-shows from his opponents, exactly the same thing happened last week and Boredom was given a no-show loss. This is unfair, it needs to be consistent, there is no difference between this week writing 1 – 10 and winning, and last week when you didn’t write 1-10 you were given an unjustified no-show loss by me. I’m updating your record to correct this. Awarded 2 points, and the 2 points for last week (you missed out on).
(11) Figurative: DNC.
(12) The Artful Salopian: Good username change, it is definitely more interesting than Floreal which always gave the impression a name for a hygiene product moisturizer. For your submission, its quality was better than how it was received. The things about disappointing sons, it’s such an interesting topic, because so much of parenthood (at least in past times, even more so during feudal/pre feudal times) was all about not having disappointing sons. So many themes, lineage, tradition, heritage, you had a lot of ammunition this week but also left many of them unexplored. Perhaps you wanted to focus more on the personal aspects of the relationship, which is fine as well, but it would have been nice to read the wider themes also. Awarded 1 point.
(13)Coup: DNC.
(14) nO gOod!: DNC.
(15) PancakeBrah: To get psychological here for a moment – PancakeBrah strikes me as the kind of individual who needs to be making gains to feel comfortable. Motivation is key for him now, even though he wrote the longest verse so far by his own standards can he sustain this? Is it a good idea to sustain it? It’s a testament to the strength of PancakeBrah’s writing that he handled Objective’s nice submission easily. Looks like a close race for first place is forming between PancakeBrah and MikeWrecka. Awarded 2 points.
(16) deadman: Wrote like sociocultural legal theorist in rhyme format. References to popculture, philosophy and wider societal values – all tied in to the overriding question of whether law is even relevant if predeterminism is true. Kind of an internal natural law vs rule of law debate. It almost tempted me to mess up the league by participating. The line that summed everything up perfectly and brought Deadman’s writing to crescendo – “if you're an innocent slave to pre-determinant binds
should you be tried for committing a subservient crime?” Awarded 2 points.
(17) MikeWrecka: Don’t know it felt like a serious decrease in quality from last week. Actually read it 1 and ½ times still thought it was basically a shock verse, which was disappointing when compared to the ingenuity and dry humor tone of last week’s. Kind of like last week was Wood Allen funny/insightful and this week was Adam Sandler dressing up as a woman. That said it is a testament to the strength of your writing ability, that even with a lesser topic your mechanics still kept it very competitive. Also you’ve had probably the toughest randomly generated contests in terms of opponent faced so far, TopicalDood5, Certain Serpent, Pinot Grij. Still undefeated. Awarded 2 points.
(18) Rawn M.D.: No showed, signed out. Awarded 0 points.
(19) Plot: Late entry for this week but no one could tell by the quality of the submission. In a way your subject matter was similar to deadmans, in terms of the critique of manmade law, and the promotion of natural law. Where the other was phrased within society, yours was framed within evolution. It was really great writing how you grounded the discussion within the science phrases. I think this part was probably my favorite section from any of the submissions this week – “Words like honour and pity are lost on savage beasts, Like giving pearls to pigs, to them its all just lavish treats. We live in a dog eat dog world, and that’s the reality. That’s the totality, were all stuck here and that’s the gravity.” Although the ending and beginning were perhaps slightly weaker in comparison. Awarded 2 points.
(20) Mr. J: No showed, signed out. Awarded 0 points. Is signed back in for next week.
(21) Cereal Killa: DNC.
(22) TopicalDood5: DNC.
(23) Gazette: DNC.
(24) Certain Serpent: Is experimenting around with structure and things like that. 9 lines for each initial stanza each containing the repeated phrase at regular intervals. The structure adds to the feeling of inevitability in the content of the submission. Kind of like trained helplessness, you know what is coming but are powerless to do anything. A good effect emphasized by the rigid and repetitive structure. Messing around with structural things like these are always fun and also help for appreciation of writing as a process, not only as something that creates a product. Awarded 2 points.
(25) Just Write: DNC.
(26) Rayge: DNC.
(27) Xnub: DNC.
(28) Split Eight: DNC. Is signed back in for this week.
(29) Brian Bryan: Another strong submission, if he had the time to compete from week 1 every week he would probably still be undefeated. This week was a study of exploitation, again similar mechanics but completely different subject matter. It seems Brian Bryan is extremely comfortable with his writing style and so can concentrate much more on what he wants to write about, rather than how. Really enjoyed the short space where the transformation of the story occurred. Awarded 2 points. Voluntarily signed out.
(30) VERITAS: Basically the opposite issues to your opponent, a surface level response to the stimulus. It was strong to use the concept of common man struggle against the abuse of absolute power. Better still to frame it among the shadowy “new monarchs” like MegaCEO’s, Illuminati’s and other new world orders. However, beyond that there’s not much else going on, perhaps it could have been good to flesh out the ‘greed’ theme you almost touched on or something like that. The main area where your submission excelled was its presentation, it was written like an allegory or a fable. Very direct and very interesting language choices. Awarded 1.5 points.
(31) Witty: DNC.
(32) Atheist: DNC.
(33) patrown: Wrote a short submission since his opponent was MIA. Here it is in its entirety; “Born and bread with a dark conscious, leaves us torn by lead on parked haunches, in the fetal position, fleeing positions, in a machine feeding on the souls of greedy positions.” Awarded 2 points and 2 minutes of thinking time whether or not the spelling of bread was intentional.
(34) Pinot Grij: Wrote the story of the comically oblivious cuckold, it seems like judging from some of the comments, their uncomfort with that topic hurt you a little. It’s funny because it is irrational behavior to be so oblivious, these kind of stories work because it insinuates either the male character subconsciously knows what’s going on and chooses to ignore it (chicken head in the sand) or the character is just comically stupid. Also, the jumbled legal Latin nonsense part at the end was just perfect. “Moreover, its res ipsa loquitur, oh, I beseech your pardon, But I don't need to start confusing you with all the legal jargon.” It is great to witness how during a single submission it switches between expressing the different emotions of the characters (E.g., the lawyers aggressive showboating at the start compared to the discomfort squirming at the end) while still maintaining the intricate rhyme scheme. Awarded 1 points.
(35) Shogun Dinero: DNC.
(36) Word: Chose a great connection to the topic in writing about libertarianism, but it was a bit simplistic. That is not a comment on the vocabulary used. It was a good stylistic choice to use straightforward language, it gave the writing a conversational tone that worked well. The comment is towards the examples used to promote liberty as the highest ideal. They felt simplistic, the whole “what if I want to get high and drive, it’s my right” part being an example. There is so much great writing about libertarianism from which to draw from. It’s such a rich theme and there were moments of strong writing, but overall it felt a little uninspired. Awarded 1.5 points.
(37) PiE: The second newcomer who created a good submission. Just some observations about your writing style; the line lengths are good, somewhere between short and overly long also using a complete sentence style. The rhyme schemes are good, people especially on this website appreciate a submission with good mechanics, but beware it isn’t the be all and end all. Narration was good, especially enjoyed how it moved well between describing events and internal thoughts. Awarded 2 points.
(38) DwnLd: No showed, signed out. Awarded 0 points.
(39) Red glare: To get personal, this was basically my life story just without the cheating part. It was good writing by Red Glare, it connected to the “Quantum Meruit,” in three nice ways. On a purely literal level - E.g., the quantum class. On a conceptual level – exploring consequences and concepts of karma. On its contract law level –substantial compensation/restitution. It even contained a reference to money for consideration, it was deceptively well thought out. In the past I’ve been guilty of thinking Red Glare writes overboard, sometimes even nonsensically, but perhaps this was my mistake of interpretation. Awarded 1 point.
(40) DeadLion: DQ’d for reusing old material, signed out. Nice work from chief detective Certain Serpent for the good intuition.
New Competitors
(41) Defy Gravity: STRENGTH- New user. WEAKNESS- May not give submission for the week on time. PREDICTION- Read FAQ for rules and how everything goes. Good luck.

Points record.
NAME: (POINTS) – Win/Loss/Draw/No Show.
TYSON: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Nigma: (7.0) – 3/1/0/0.
Innovator: (6.0) – 2/2/0/0.
Adonis: (6.0) – 2/2/0/0.
NYCSPITZ: (0.0) – 0/0/0/2.
Storyteller: (5.0) – 1/3/0/0.
Objective: (6.0) 2/2/0/0.
Pent uP: (7.0) 3/1/0/0.
oats: (4.0) – 2/0/0/0.
Boredom: (6.0) – 3/0/0/1.
Figurative: (1.0) – 0/1/0/1.
The Artful Salopian: (6.0) – 2/2/0/0.
Coup: (3.5) – 1/0/1/1.
nO gOod!: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
PancakeBrah: (7.5) – 3/0/1/0.
deadman: (2.0) – 1/0/0/1.
MikeWrecka: (8.0) – 4/0/0/0.
Rawn M.D.: (4.0) – 1/2/0/1.
Plot: (5.0) – 2/1/0/1.
Mr. J: (4.0) – 1/2/0/1.
Cereal Killa: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
TopicalDood5: (3.0) – 1/1/0/1.
Gazette: (1.0) – 0/1/0/1.
Certain Serpent: (6.0) – 2/2/0/0.
Just Write: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Rayge: (0.0) – 0/0/0/2.
Xnub: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Split Eight: (2.0) – 1/0/0/1.
Brian Bryan: (6.0) – 3/0/0/0.
VERITAS: (5.5) – 2/1/0/0.
Witty: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Atheist: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
patrown: (3.0) – 1/1/0/1.
Pinot Grij: (3.0) – 1/1/0/0.
Shogun Dinero: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Word: (1.5) – 0/1/0/0.
PiE: (2.0) – 1/0/0/0.
DwnLd: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Read Glare: (1.0) – 0/1/0/0.
DeadLion: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Defy Gravity: N/A

Memo week 5.
Greetings competitors, we return to the style of the week 1 challenge. CONSTRAINED WRITING TASK WEEK, you are required to complete one of a series of difficult constrained writing challenges. Your specific task will be phrased in the negative as an instruction requiring some omission of a common writing aspect. You only need to meet your requirement, otherwise you can write about anything you like. Find below your match-ups and specific tasks.

Specific contests and tasks.
(15 v 37) PancakeBrah v PiE. TASK: Lipogram – No letter G.
(41 v 7) DefyGravity v Objective. TASK: No repetition of any word (longer than 3 letters).
(30 v 24) VERITAS v Certain Serpent. TASK: No adjectives.
(36 v 16) Word v deadman. TASK: No suffixes. Specifically no - ion, ing, ed, est.
(3 v 8) Innovator v Pent uP. TASK: Lipogram – No letter R.
(6 v 12) Storyteller v The Artful Salopian. TASK: No conjunctions.
(19 v 33) Plot v patrown. TASK: No plurals.
(39 v 17) Red Glare v MikeWrecka. TASK: No words beginning with the same letter in the same sentence.
(34 v 4) Pinot Grij v Adonis. TASK: No words longer than 7+ letters. E.g., No 8, 9 , 10 etc letter words.
(20 v 10) Mr. J v Boredom. TASK: No variations of “to be.” E.g., No – be, being, been, am, is, isn't, are, aren't, was, wasn't, were, weren't.
(28 v 5) SplitEight v NYCSPITZ. TASK: No odd numbered (in terms of letters) words.
(1 v 2) TYSON v Nigma. TASK: Lipogram - No letter N.

General Information and FAQ.
How many weeks will the Tournament go for?
There will be 8 weeks of standard competition, and a special 9nth week tiebreaker week only in the event of tied rankings.
How are rankings and record calculated?
All wins are awarded 2 points. A loss is awarded 1 point. If you “No show” you are awarded 0 points. Tied matches at the end of the voting period are awarded 1.5 points each.
Tied matches at the end of the voting period?
Voting periods will not be extended beyond the deadline, tied outcomes are O.K. Submissions due Wednesday 23:59 PST. Ext due Thursday 23:59 PST. Voting due Sunday 11:59 PST. Weekly Memo uploaded Sunday subject to schedule.
What are the voting regulations?
Standard 3 required votes any less than 3 results in a vote deduction from your contest.
What are the voting guidelines?
Long paragraphs etc are not required, any justification of your vote is sufficient, it can be simple, as long as it is not arbitrary or unexplained. Voting based on your own subjective opinion, basically how much you enjoyed either, there is no requirement for you to vote based on writings compliance to the task. I can’t speak for all voters, but you will never have a submission DQ’d for ‘not conforming’ to the topic.
What will get me banished from the tournament?
Plagiarism, double accounts, editing your submission after your opponent has also submitted or voting has commenced, any unnecessary comments creating bias for your contest.
What are the deadlines for writing?
Weekly Magazines containing the Weekly Memo (general theme) will be released, along with the specific pages containing your writing task instructions (specific topics). Then you will have 3 days standard +1 day if required extension period to complete your writing. Voting can begin whenever the contests both have writing submissions, and will stay open for votes until the next Weekly Magazine. The scheduled process will not take more than 7 days.
What should I write?
Whatever you want, the aim of the writing challenge topics is to stimulate not restrict. There are no min or max line limits.
How are contest competitors chosen?
On sign up each competitor will be given a number. Using random.org 2 numbers are paired with each other. Match ups are always randomized rather than based on any system of high-ranking vs high-ranking etc.
What if there is an odd number of competitors for a round?
In the event of an odd number of competitors, there will be a 1v1v1 contest with all standard rules applying.
What are the sign in regulations?
Signing in is open to all for all rounds, 2 required votes for sign in to be effective after week 1 sign ins. If you no-show you are signed-out and must sign-back in to receive a matchup.
No-show repairing?
There will be no no-show repairing’s, as consideration of your effort if you are no-showed there will be an additional review of your writing in the following magazine.
Are multimedia aids allowed?
Yes. You can use pictures, videos, soundbytes, and other multimedia to aid your weekly submissions.
What do the numbers beside my username mean?
They don’t mean anything, they are not rankings. They are just your original sign-in number used for random assignment to tasks and contests.

Closing Weekly Comment.
Good stuff again to all. Voting and submissions have been adequate, only a few no-shows which is to be expected with the amount of contests. As a pre-emptive comment; this week’s challenge may seem restricting. It is restricting, but sometimes restrictions can stimulate the finding of creative solutions. With that in mind, I hope you enjoy your tasks this week. Only one warning to bring up, it’s unfortunate but a minority are not voting. Good luck to all competitors for completing your submissions.

Last edited by zygote; 08-18-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
Nigma
The COAT...

Battle Record: 28-20

Champed
- Art of Writing League (x3)

Nigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant future

Nice mag, I will sign back in for the sake of conveniency
Old 08-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Battle Record: 40-19

Champed
- AOWL Season 3
- Art of Writing League (2x)

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

@zygote, unless Mike Wrecka didn't vote on three battles, he won, 3-2. (Also, if it did end up tied, his record should be listed as 3/0/1/0.)

Anyway, this writing constraint challenge is great, and mine fits my style. Best of luck, @VERITAS.

Last edited by Certain; 08-18-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
Pent uP
Robin Williams of Fallen Victims

Battle Record: 25-11

Accomplishments
- NC Hall of Fame

Champed
- Netcees Writers League (2x)
- NWL Season 1
- Write Night I
- Write Week IV

Pent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant future

My feed back will come in a thread by tomorrow..I was expecting to do it tonight but mismanaged my time....will get at u guys based on principal though
Old 08-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Champed
- AOWL Season 3

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

And I checked, @zygote: @Mike Wrecka voted on four or five battles, so he should get the win. Sorry, Pinot Grij.

Wrecka cannot be stopped.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #6
zygote

Battle Record: 33-12

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Art of Writing League (3x)

zygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant future

It's encouraged to vote on as many you can but the cutoff before any -1 deduction is just a flat minimum 3. PG voted on at least 3 both this week and last week.
*I misread Brian Bryans vote based on the start of his comment. I'll change it all up now, thanks Certain Serpent, you have a keen eye for details.

Last edited by zygote; 08-18-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Champed
- AOWL Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygote View Post
It's encouraged to vote on as many you can but the cutoff before any -1 deduction is just a flat minimum 3. PG voted on at least 3 both this week and last week.
Yes, but Mike Wrecka received three votes: mine, Brian Bryan's and Objective's. Pinot Grij received two: patrown's and Storyteller's.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
Pinot Grij

Battle Record: 23-19

Accomplishments
- OM HOF

Champed
- Fight Night 2
- Write Week V
- Netcees Battle League (2x)
- Winter Topical II
- 1-2 Punch league

Pinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certain Serpent View Post
And I checked, @zygote: @Mike Wrecka voted on four or five battles, so he should get the win. Sorry, Pinot
I don't care about wins or losses at all... I am disapponted at some motherfuckers straight up not voting. If you want to keep a league growing and active you have to chip in and vote. I'll gladly take a vote against me if its thoughtful and offers feedback... I just want people to read the shit
Old 08-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #9
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Champed
- AOWL Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinot Grij View Post
I don't care about wins or losses at all... I am disapponted at some motherfuckers straight up not voting. If you want to keep a league growing and active you have to chip in and vote. I'll gladly take a vote against me if its thoughtful and offers feedback... I just want people to read the shit
Agreed completely.

I tried to get people to vote via tagging. Maybe I'll do the same next week earlier on Sunday.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #10
Defy Gravity
The Dominican Prince

Battle Record: 1-3

Defy Gravity has a brilliant futureDefy Gravity has a brilliant futureDefy Gravity has a brilliant futureDefy Gravity has a brilliant futureDefy Gravity has a brilliant futureDefy Gravity has a brilliant futureDefy Gravity has a brilliant futureDefy Gravity has a brilliant futureDefy Gravity has a brilliant futureDefy Gravity has a brilliant futureDefy Gravity has a brilliant future

Ultimately I'm a show on time and with a dope verse
Old 08-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #11
patrown
‹^›ô¿ô‹^›

Battle Record: 13-19

patrown patrown patrown patrown patrown patrown patrown patrown patrown patrown patrown
Send a message via AIM to patrown

glad you're running shit zygote. you're one smart dude man.
gotta hand it to you.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:50 AM   #12
patrown
‹^›ô¿ô‹^›

Battle Record: 13-19

patrown patrown patrown patrown patrown patrown patrown patrown patrown patrown patrown
Send a message via AIM to patrown

@Coup , you signed in bro?

please tell me you are. =)
Old 08-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #13
Spoken
...DA GAWD...

Battle Record: 13-34

Spoken has a brilliant futureSpoken has a brilliant futureSpoken has a brilliant futureSpoken has a brilliant futureSpoken has a brilliant futureSpoken has a brilliant futureSpoken has a brilliant futureSpoken has a brilliant futureSpoken has a brilliant futureSpoken has a brilliant futureSpoken has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Spoken

revenge is sweet

see you there flo real

Old 08-19-2013, 01:28 AM   #14
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Champed
- AOWL Season 3

I'm turning this into the predictions thread because why not?

Also, I am not going to vote for anyone who breaks their rule if their opponent abided it. I don't care how much better the violator's verse is. Close isn't cutting it for me this week. I'm sure others will be more lenient, though.

(15 v 37) PancakeBrah v PiE. TASK: Lipogram – No letter G.
This task seems like the easiest aside from not using big words.

(41 v 7) DefyGravity v Objective. TASK: No repetition of any word (longer than 3 letters).
I just read Defy Gravity's verse in Open Mic. This should be the battle of the week.

(36 v 16) Word v dead man. TASK: No suffixes. Specifically no - ion, ing, ed, est.
That's a ridiculously tough Week 2 matchup for Word after an impressive tie against VERITAS.

(3 v 8) Innovator v Pent uP. TASK: Lipogram – No letter R.
This battle is very interesting, but I think Innovator better really bring it with content if he hopes to match Pent's mechanics and all-out skill.

(6 v 12) Storyteller v The Artful Salopian. TASK: No conjunctions.
When they story-battled in the Elements Tournament, I voted for Flo Real. But I think Storyteller will be out for revenge here. With that said, this task is the type where I would guarantee at least one of them fails to follow the rule because it's a really, really difficult rule. So follow the rule, guys!

(19 v 33) Plot v patrown. TASK: No plurals.
I love this task almost as much as I love my own. I really want to see patrown drop a full verse, at least 20 lines.

(39 v 17) Red Glare v MikeWrecka. TASK: No words beginning with the same letter in the same sentence.
Mike Wrecka's take on topics is better than anyone else in this league, but this week doesn't really give him an opportunity to showcase that.

(34 v 4) Pinot Grij v Adonis. TASK: No words longer than 7+ letters. E.g., No 8, 9 , 10 etc letter words.
Pinot doesn't really lean on heavy vocabulary anyway. I do expect Adonis to come fired up, though.

(20 v 10) Mr. J v Boredom. TASK: No variations of “to be.” E.g., No – be, being, been, am, is, isn't, are, aren't, was, wasn't, were, weren't.
Let's show up with actual verses this time, guys.

(28 v 5) Split Eight v NYCSPITZ. TASK: No odd numbered (in terms of letters) words.
This task is ridiculously difficult. I think Split Eight is more likely to put his all into it.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:44 AM   #15
Nigma
The COAT...

Champed

Nigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant future

(15 v 37) PancakeBrah v PiE.
Pie by no show 100/0
(41 v 7) DefyGravity v Objective.
I just read a very good Defy OM drop but I anticipate a first week adjustion period. Got Ob here but watch out for Defy R2. Goin Ob 65/35
(30 v 24) VERITAS v Certain Serpent.
Veritas been steadily improving these last few verses and Certain has transitioned more of his OM prowess over to this league.
Should be a good contest, gonna lean Certain 60/40
(36 v 16) Word v deadman.
I think I read Words verse last week and that it was good but nothing really stood out. That's going to have to change this week if he wants a shot at the cake. Black 90/10
(3 v 8) Innovator v Pent uP.
Good clash of two of the higher point talliers so far, I will make a personal voting appearance on this battle, excited. I predict Pent 60/40
(6 v 12) Storyteller v The Artful Salopian.
I have quite literally never heard Artful Salopians name around here nor anywhere else. Do not know what it stands for but fear not, I will research. Please show up. Storyteller 70/30
(19 v 33) Plot v patrown.
Plot is quietly up the in rankings, and patrown, being a battle behind, needs a win to stay in contention for 1st. Should be a highly motivated contest by both, going Patrown 60/40
(39 v 17) Red Glare v MikeWrecka.
Someone needs to beat Mike! There's few better candidates then Frank. I am excited to see what he pulls out of his tickle trunk on this one, however he is not afraid of somersaulting into morally grey territory to do what it takes to win, and is also known for offering not a single comment in response. That is all. Frank 60/40
(34 v 4) Pinot Grij v Adonis.
Clash of two unique writers. Both hungry for a win and feeling, and rightfully so, that they are better then their records state. Two +.500 writers fighting to avoid a negative record, got Pinot in a close contest. 60/40
(20 v 10) Mr. J v Boredom.
Two people I'm really starting to enjoy. I'll be reading this battle for sure, make it a good one! Dunno who to pick from this one, MYSTERY OF THE WEEK!!!
(28 v 5) SplitEight v NYCSPITZ.
Fight for my love. I will not address the loser directly for one month. Spitz 50/50 (not a typo)
(1 v 2) TYSON v Nigma.
If I beat you I want to be number 1 on the list. Please show up

In closing I'd like to say these topics are incredible, week in and week out. Backbone of a great league, well done sirs.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:46 AM   #16
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Champed
- AOWL Season 3

The Artful Salopian is the rhyme-writer formerly known as Flo Real.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:51 AM   #17
Nigma
The COAT...

Champed

What a weirdo! btw you forgot my battle you asshat
Old 08-19-2013, 02:16 AM   #18
Legion Of Cocks in my mouth
25 years later

Battle Record: 5-3

Legion Of Cocks in my mouth has a brilliant futureLegion Of Cocks in my mouth has a brilliant futureLegion Of Cocks in my mouth has a brilliant futureLegion Of Cocks in my mouth has a brilliant futureLegion Of Cocks in my mouth has a brilliant futureLegion Of Cocks in my mouth has a brilliant futureLegion Of Cocks in my mouth has a brilliant futureLegion Of Cocks in my mouth has a brilliant futureLegion Of Cocks in my mouth has a brilliant futureLegion Of Cocks in my mouth has a brilliant futureLegion Of Cocks in my mouth has a brilliant future

Don't see a signup thread but you should let me get a battle
Old 08-19-2013, 02:51 AM   #19
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Champed
- AOWL Season 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigma View Post
What a weirdo! btw you forgot my battle you asshat
I've never read anything by TYSON. I can't make a prediction.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:13 AM   #20
Objective
( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

Battle Record: 17-32

Objective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant future

Damn, you didn't like my verse this week @zygote? Aiight, I see how it is, I see how it is. I'll wow you eventually with some shit that is both great in terms of rhymeschemes and complexity of the story at hand, think I might still need some time 'till I'm there tbh. But it'll come eventually. Dope week 5 review, for sure. Keep up the good work.

@Defy Gravity: Just read your shit in the OM as well, will definitely post some feed later on because my first impression of your writing wasn't good, it was way above great. Shiii, so far people got me taking the w this round, but I think this is on some 50/50 shit given that this is your first week into account. You're going to be a strong/decent opponent for sure if you can keep up the consistency that you showed in your OM piece.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV8ozGcGJ6o

Last edited by Objective; 08-19-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Closed Thread