White Earl

Battle Record: 10-15

Accomplishments
- Open Mic HOF (4x)

Champed
- Netcees Writers League
- Write Week I
- Write Week 8

Geno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Geno
Default The realization that you may just be better at text than recording?

..idk. This writing shit has always been so easy. The rapping is to tbh. But for some reason i just dont feel the creative spark in the booth anymore. Wondering if ill ever truly get that back. Idk. I hope.so. because i love to record and put as much of my soul into conveying my words as possible. Ever since ive made such a drastic change in my life. My routine. Goals. And all around habits i just havnt had the feel or really the need, to release my emotions over instrumentals. Is this good or bad? What do.you think about this @boof @uh-oh @Infinity Tha rellik @Kin @Joel Venom @ other audio heads who really understand what i mean. Have i lost my love for it? Did never rly have the love i thought i did and simply used it as another addiction or coping device. Maybe it just will always be there when i need it and i dont rly have to do it on a regular basis to still love it. Idk. But i miss my creative flow during the process. My habitat has also changed which could very well be anhuge part of this. No more phil.. Who was really a driving force behind my music. As well as my boy dino who ive spent days upon days working side by side with in his basement studio. Not having that really has turned me off from all this shit. And it fucking sucks man. Had some of the best times of my life with those guys in that studio lol. I just want to find my groove again i guess.

Any suggestions? Am i just being a crybaby bitch. Maybe it will come back around soon. From time.to time i drink a cup.if coffee and feel a strong motivation to want to record and write and i wrote this morning which was more a verse for @dead man than anything else. His heartbreak is so relative to shit that i know and understand and i felt compelled to share some of my own with him in the OM this morning after reading his newest drop. So quickly wrote and dropped my own. But of course i cant record something that i didnt write to a beat. It never sounds good. Closest ive come to that is with the highschool.dropout track. But.you can still tell i just put that to a beat years after writing it.

So idk. Anyway. You should all go peep dead mans newest piece. And mine as well if you feel like it. Drop some feed. Thanks guys. I guess that could be a good way to push mine or ajyone elses creativity. Nothing like people actually reading or listening and responding to your efforts.

Dead.mans new shit.
http://www.netcees.org/showthread.php?t=127549

Genos new shit..
http://www.netcees.org/showthread.php?t=127552

Anyway. Thanks
-Genocide.

Last edited by Geno; 03-31-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
Rude

Rude has a brilliant futureRude has a brilliant futureRude has a brilliant futureRude has a brilliant futureRude has a brilliant futureRude has a brilliant futureRude has a brilliant futureRude has a brilliant futureRude has a brilliant futureRude has a brilliant futureRude has a brilliant future

I never really got into recording but from a writing point of view. It could be several factors :

- lack of motivation/writer's block (although I'm aware you said you're still able to write for text, but as you stated yourself, writing for a beat is different)

- following in the footsteps of 'lack of motivation' it could be the change in life, as you pretty much said yourself - the change of routine could have a kink in your creativity. If you're used to certain ppl motivating/pushing you when it comes to recording, and if the 'hunger' has changed it could affect you creatively.

There's always a small possibility that recording was just a phase you went through to vent and deal with emotions, but having read quite a few of your pieces - I doubt that's the case. You may have to create a new routine for writing/recording. It might even seem like a chore at first (which is a bad sign when it comes to doing something you love/hobbies) but sometimes that chore breaks through the block/kink. Maybe take this time to experiment new flows/styles until you find one that inspires real creativity.
Rude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:19 AM   #3
Geno
White Earl

Accomplishments
- Open Mic HOF (4x)

Champed
- Netcees Writers League
- Write Week I
- Write Week 8

Geno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude View Post
I never really got into recording but from a writing point of view. It could be several factors :

- lack of motivation/writer's block (although I'm aware you said you're still able to write for text, but as you stated yourself, writing for a beat is different)

- following in the footsteps of 'lack of motivation' it could be the change in life, as you pretty much said yourself - the change of routine could have a kink in your creativity. If you're used to certain ppl motivating/pushing you when it comes to recording, and if the 'hunger' has changed it could affect you creatively.

There's always a small possibility that recording was just a phase you went through to vent and deal with emotions, but having read quite a few of your pieces - I doubt that's the case. You may have to create a new routine for writing/recording. It might even seem like a chore at first (which is a bad sign when it comes to doing something you love/hobbies) but sometimes that chore breaks through the block/kink. Maybe take this time to experiment new flows/styles until you find one that inspires real creativity.

Ya man. The middle paragraph mostly. The fact is.. I was always more creative in writing while i was going through shit. Drug addiction. Relationship issues. Homelessness. Jobless. Etc. Now that i am doing well.. Have to obviously drawl from other sorts of motivation and it just isnt easy. Ive never been able to really write much about the up side of life. My entire writing career has been about the negative. And ive always been able to grab followers and fans because they would relate to my depth and darkness and struggle. Now its the other way around and its not that easy man. Idk. Its fuxked up really

Also. The bottom segment you wrote makes much sense. Ill consider it. But ya when it becomes a chore its hard to want to do it. Lol.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:32 AM   #4
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Battle Record: 56-21

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

Sharp has disabled reputation

idk about writing, but if you consider yourself a musician, I can relate.

I've gone through periods (years at a time) without picking up an instrument unless I was paid, and most of that was due to motivation. Still went out to small shows/sessions/hangs and just drink/socialize/listen, and I think that helps a lot, since I stay engaged. Lately, the source of my motivation has been other people. You had Dino/Phil and small moments with dead man, and any project that I have going on and am really into comes from whoever I'm working with. Like, I write new shit with the bands I'm working with in mind.

Basically, I can relate a lot cause having other people to work with does it for me. Don't think it comes from you losing anything or changing drastically, you may just need a bit of a shakeup like working with someone a little outside of what you normally do. Not saying go for like a reggaeton band but something a little different works wonders for motivation without changing who you fundamentally are as an artist.

Hang in there Geno
Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:51 AM   #5
ill nik-A
Super Senior Member

Battle Record: 70-25

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- Battle Arena
- BA Picture
- Picture Battle Tournament
- Netcees Battle League (3x)
- Netcees Writers League (2x)
- Summer Classic VI
- Fall Brawl III
- Netcees Battle League Season X
- Lyric Olympics

ill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant future

Man recording is all about practice. If u record as much as u text u’ll reach ur peak there too
Old 03-31-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
~RustyGunZ~
(ง'̀-'́)ง

Battle Record: 52-28

Accomplishments
-50+ wins

Champed
-Summer Classic VIII
-Netcees Battle League
-BA Picture
-BA TagTeam
-Fight Night Cypher I
-Fight Night XXXV
-Key Grand Prix 2018 1/2

~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute

Just skimmed, but might just be time for a new hobby. You might have loved writing and felt like you should do audio, when you didn’t really want to do it all that much. Now time has gone by and you feel attached to the outlet.
~RustyGunZ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:04 AM   #7
Geno
White Earl

Accomplishments
- Open Mic HOF (4x)

Champed
- Netcees Writers League
- Write Week I
- Write Week 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp View Post
idk about writing, but if you consider yourself a musician, I can relate.

I've gone through periods (years at a time) without picking up an instrument unless I was paid, and most of that was due to motivation. Still went out to small shows/sessions/hangs and just drink/socialize/listen, and I think that helps a lot, since I stay engaged. Lately, the source of my motivation has been other people. You had Dino/Phil and small moments with dead man, and any project that I have going on and am really into comes from whoever I'm working with. Like, I write new shit with the bands I'm working with in mind.

Basically, I can relate a lot cause having other people to work with does it for me. Don't think it comes from you losing anything or changing drastically, you may just need a bit of a shakeup like working with someone a little outside of what you normally do. Not saying go for like a reggaeton band but something a little different works wonders for motivation without changing who you fundamentally are as an artist.

Hang in there Geno
Ya i feel this. Been kicking around the thought of doing something with finny lol. I mean not that its a big change but still. Just to do it with someone else pushes you to want to shine a little brighter. I mean its finny. And hes not as horrible as everyone says. So it could be fun. Idk. But i still havnt extended the offer. And dont know if i want to yet
Old 03-31-2018, 10:07 AM   #8
Geno
White Earl

Accomplishments
- Open Mic HOF (4x)

Champed
- Netcees Writers League
- Write Week I
- Write Week 8

also @knuck. Ya man. I still have the passion for words as i write. Definitelt. But ive reached a point where i feel like im one of the smoothest writers with words. Perhaps not always the best at conveying. But i feel like i couldnt get any better with my mechanics. Which is cool.i also hear shit about it sometimes. People arenlike do something different we alrdy know ur a monster with this style and i consider it but i enjoy the steez ive developed and feel accomplisbed when i do write. I just dont feel as driven cause i dont thinknim gonna ever be better than i am or have been in the past. Fuck it ill keep pushing. Thanks guys
Old 03-31-2018, 10:20 AM   #9
Geno
White Earl

Accomplishments
- Open Mic HOF (4x)

Champed
- Netcees Writers League
- Write Week I
- Write Week 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill nik-A View Post
Man recording is all about practice. If u record as much as u text u’ll reach ur peak there too

Indeed bro..thanks for.weighing in. I think habitat actually has more to do with my lack of recording than i realise.now that i think about.it. its difficult to rap aloud when people around you have different schesules and may be asleep while your awake. Lol. Which sucks. There has been times when i wanted to recors and couldnt cause someone was asleep. Ive aactually got 3 tracks i started and wrote.a bit to then whisper rappes while.i recorded tjust to remember the cadence i intendes to sound like. So i have some shit that might comemout soon. One was that ncs diss. Lol. Which ill prolly never finish. Another is called. Seen some things (what a life) which i was pretty ezcited about dropping. Just.lost steam and again. Timing. So that might drop soon. Well see. Maybe if i have some.time.later to be loud ill get.it done. But no promises.

Anyway. Point being. Its so much easier to.write in silence then it.is to record and be disruptive so i cant do it as much
Old 03-31-2018, 10:26 AM   #10
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Battle Record: 56-21

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

Sharp has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genocide View Post
Ya i feel this. Been kicking around the thought of doing something with finny lol. I mean not that its a big change but still. Just to do it with someone else pushes you to want to shine a little brighter. I mean its finny. And hes not as horrible as everyone says. So it could be fun. Idk. But i still havnt extended the offer. And dont know if i want to yet
Could be good for you. I've had the experience of working with people that I've think brought out the worst in my playing.. Keeping me in the box, playing in ways that encourage cornier solos and whatnot. Gotta make sure they don't drain you
Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:29 AM   #11
Geno
White Earl

Accomplishments
- Open Mic HOF (4x)

Champed
- Netcees Writers League
- Write Week I
- Write Week 8

One thing ive always noticed in my writing text as opposed to writing over a beat.. Conveying my true sentiments is much more difficult.to a beat because you dont have as much freedom as you do without one. Its like phil once rapped in a verse..."im a slave to the snare"

So you have certain boundaries you cant leave over a beat.. You can stretch drag and do whatever you want with a text verse and still pull shit off that would be impossible to do over a beat. Basically minamising the amount of words and ability to apply as much detail to a concept. If that makes sense. So sometimes just writing text is more enjoyable in that sense.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:30 AM   #12
Geno
White Earl

Accomplishments
- Open Mic HOF (4x)

Champed
- Netcees Writers League
- Write Week I
- Write Week 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp View Post
Could be good for you. I've had the experience of working with people that I've think brought out the worst in my playing.. Keeping me in the box, playing in ways that encourage cornier solos and whatnot. Gotta make sure they don't drain you
Ya true shit. Being around an overbearing type absolutely is one way you can be drained. Though sometimes input is really helpful.. It can be rly bothersome on the flipside. Thanks
Old 03-31-2018, 11:24 AM   #13
Hush
NJ Devil

Battle Record: Who Cares

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Hush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant future

Nah

I rap way better
Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:36 AM   #14
Elemental P

Elemental P has a brilliant futureElemental P has a brilliant futureElemental P has a brilliant futureElemental P has a brilliant futureElemental P has a brilliant futureElemental P has a brilliant futureElemental P has a brilliant futureElemental P has a brilliant futureElemental P has a brilliant futureElemental P has a brilliant futureElemental P has a brilliant future

I started as a textcee so my text is a lot better.
I know what you mean tho and where youre coming from. Depends on what you want from this... Is it just therapy, a get away for you? Or do you actually wanna be a rapper? To me it's just a hobby, something to do for sport. I come and go on hiatuses so often I'm surprised I came back again. But now that I moved I'm looking to set up the mic again and give it another shot just for the hell of it. Really it boils down to what you want from it. If you're happy where you're at fuck it. If you wanna do music just to have an outlet, or to make something relatedable or w.e, just do you. I didn't read all the details but it sounds like you're reaching the age where we all question "wtf am I rapping online for still?"
Elemental P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:50 PM   #15
uh-oh
DA GOD

Battle Record: 1-0

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

im listening to samples and didn't read any of this thread

but if its any consolation your audio is at the same level as your text

you just don't take it serious enough. like you see me as a good beatmaker. but its easy in the sense im a BEATMAKER. people label me a PRODUCER. but the difference is im not producing SONGS

when you're doing "audio" your essentially writing songs to beats you like and producing songs yourself.

like when i make beats its the equivalent to just coming up with an idea. like if it was text its the equivalent to writing a piece. with rapping its like writing verses.

but when you're making TRACKS. your doing alot more. you're coming up with the concept of the song based off the beat, your writing verses in line with the topic, and you're coming up with the hook, on top of that you're peppering in adlibs, deciding when to let the beat breathe, taking breaths and pauses and basically composing a finished product

when i say you ain't taking it serious its the same way im not taking it serious.

i make a simple intro a simple verse pattern and a simple hook pattern. i loop and arrange it up and hit export

when you make a track you write some verses over the verse patterns, quick hook, and whatever and throw it out

you gotta really GO IN. thats my main gripe with text turned audio guys. you all can write a sick verse. some can even sound dope rhyming it with the beat. but you ain't really making a polished finished track

when you get an inexperienced with text guy who raps, there entire mindset is different. its about how they SOUND. they're writing to SOUND dope within the beat first and foremost. with text its about what you WRITE. and you try to make it sound good after the fact.

its super difficult to be great at any musical endeavor

whether your a guitarist and you can play scales and chords and etc. so can 300 million other people in the world. why can you only name 10 of them maybe? pianists/composers/drummers/whatever

there are literally millions of them in each path, but the greats can seperate themselves from having the knowledge to using it to stand out.

we all know simple mathematics but we all ain't astro physicists

its why its better to work with inexperienced people. im sure in whatever fields of work you've been in. you've been in situations where there is a job opening and the company wants to hire someone with no experience over someone with experience. the person with experience would have to discard his knowledge and experience and learn an entire new way of doing things. the adage you cant teach an old dog new tricks is real. its much easier to teach a puppy/someone who knows nothing something than to break down someones habits and get them to discard them.

none of this is probably relevant
Old 03-31-2018, 12:52 PM   #16
Elemental P

Elemental P has a brilliant futureElemental P has a brilliant futureElemental P has a brilliant futureElemental P has a brilliant futureElemental P has a brilliant futureElemental P has a brilliant futureElemental P has a brilliant futureElemental P has a brilliant futureElemental P has a brilliant futureElemental P has a brilliant futureElemental P has a brilliant future

Uh Oh do you spit? I made a thread back when I first joined asking for people's links. I posted my music too without any sort of feedback of course bcuz people here are a bunch of simpletons
Elemental P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:03 PM   #17
uh-oh
DA GOD

Battle Record: 1-0

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

nah i've dabbled in the past but im wack. probably stemming from my perfectionist mindset. i just make beats, but i rarely do that anymore. i've been re-inspired a bit since ive been getting love from this legion of skanks contest thing so i was gonna see what i can come up with today

https://jameshalton.bandcamp.com/

theres like 100 or more beats on there across a bunch of tapes. i just realized my last release was 2015. wtf. but what was going to be my next release turned into an album which dropped in 2017 with 13adluck

https://blocsonic.com/releases/bsog0066

im also biased heavily because the same time i was getting into text i was equally getting into "audio" on a site called sacred society. they had text but it was secondary. the talent there was STUPID. and the majority were people who went straight to audio. they weren't learning about "structure" and "multi's" and trying to learn personals on eachother, they were trying to figure out what programs they need to record, what mics to buy, etc. just the overall art of RAPPING outside of that

text is solely based on writing, and writing TEXT at that. the most retarded irrelevant form of writing to ever exist.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:52 PM   #18
Finnydot

Champed
- Beat Battle I

Finnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant future

Genooooo I've been saying I need features on the record. Imma send you my roughies tonight, shit that just needs a 16 on it.

But honestly man, I'm 32. I went through so many different periods at this point. I'm just happy being back at it.

Everything comes full circle.

Also, until you die, you're going to hear beats and be like "I'd murder this" like you told me on my beat the other day. Its just who you are now.
Finnydot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:37 PM   #19
Geno
White Earl

Accomplishments
- Open Mic HOF (4x)

Champed
- Netcees Writers League
- Write Week I
- Write Week 8

Ya i know whatbubmean. Dude im 36 now lmao. Getting old. And being a rapper just feels way less significant at this point.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:37 PM   #20
Geno
White Earl

Accomplishments
- Open Mic HOF (4x)

Champed
- Netcees Writers League
- Write Week I
- Write Week 8

But ya. Send me the shit.
Mrchristophersh@yahoo.com

Thats ur best easiest bet. Send me a couple joints thatbhave raw beats and are rdy for someone to record over.

Tags
finally geno realizes, finny bad at both