Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Forum > Discussion Board

User Tag List

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2019, 10:22 AM   #1
Ghost1

Battle Record: 0-1

Ghost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant future
Default 52 books 2020 challenge

[youtube]tLDQPgUH6yo[/youtube] [youtube]IuYmhJUeoBE[/youtube]

Rules*-
-You must post the name of the book you're reading/ have recently finished.
-You may post quotes from your books here, discuss them with others. You may also review the books if you wish, rate them, etc.
-Participation is NOT mandatory. You may pop in whenever you wish.
-Please keep your contribution clean and respect other members.
-Feel free to post your goals for this challenge, along with the purpose; Why are you participating? What do you want to get out of this?
-Feel free to use this thread as your reading log. Read something throughout the day, write about it here.

Thread Etiquette <======= IMPORTANT
-If you're going to post pictures of books/ anything else, resize it so it doesn't stretch the page. Use www.imgur.com to resize your image before posting.
-Please no soliciting in this thread. This means posting affiliate links to books. If you're a misc author brah you're welcome to drop by but no spamming.

Tools-
-To track books you're reading/ have read, you may want to use:

http://www.goodreads.com/
http://www.librarything.com/
http://www.shelfari.com/

Upon completion of the challenge**
-Improved vocabulary
-Increased knowledge
-Improved analytical and critical thinking skills.

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Frequently Asked Questions:

[spoiler]
1. How long is the challenge?
The challenge runs from 1st of January 2019 to 1st of January 2020.
Roughly 52 weeks to finish 52 books with an average of one book per week.

2. What's the purpose of doing this challenge?
General purpose of this challenge is to finish one book/week, and in the process develop the habit of regular reading and increase enjoyment of reading.

My goal/purpose-

3. What type of books are allowed for this challenge?
-ebooks/regular books
-Textbooks (if read in its entirity)
-Comic books/ graphic novels
-Audiobooks

4. Can I read comic books/ graphic novels for the purpose of this challenge?
Yes, but it's not recommended that readers read comic books in bulk to complete the challenge. The rule of thumb is maybe keeping it to 3-5 comic books/ graphic novels per challenge.

5. Will I have to write a review for the books I've been reading?
It's recommended, not mandatory. This year I will try to write reviews for every single book that I finish.

6. How will reading change my life?
Maybe it won't turn your life around 180 degrees (Misc 360 degrees..moonwalk.gif), but it will give you the insight/knowledge/tools to navigate through your life easier (hopefully).

7. My reading level is laughable, how can I 'level up'?
'Levelling up' occurs from being better than your previous self. In the world of books, you can always read books that are more complicated than the previous ones, books that'll make you stop reading and reach for a dictionary/ponder on points.

8. I don't have the time for reading books, is this challenge right for me?
If you're insanely busy, this challenge might seem like a chore and you're better off not doing it. Forcing it would be counter productive. Reading should be a natural act and not a process of self-flagellation...imo.

9. I don't have money to buy books, is this challange right for me?
Not all of us are born rich, so issue of money is a stark reality. Here's the solution: public libraries where they're free and you can even access some of them online. Websites like the following can also prove to be useful:

Scribd (legal source)
[removed previous year's links as midway through the year a mod told us that any links to sites that may contain pirated goodies are not allowed anymore]
Some of these sites might be risky in terms of access and content, so use it at your own discretion

If you're reading classics, they are legally available for free in these places:
www.manybooks.net
www.gutenberg.org/

If you have ereaders- many of their native sites offer free ebooks all the time. Check your ebooks store.

10.I can't concentrate, or sit still and read, is this challenge right for me?
Books might be therapeutic in improving concentration. I'm not aware of any scientific studies but googling might help.

11.Are there any group/groups of people for whom this challenge is not right for?
Some groups of people for whom this challenge might not be optimal / beneficial:
-People who are reading for bragging rights, and who are reading without any comprehension to meet the weekly quota. It's better to read 20 books well than to read 100+ books haphazardly.
-Genuinely busy people.

12.Are their any tricks/ tips of reading 52 books in 52 weeks I should be aware of?
There were several posts in the previous threads regarding speed reading. Search the old thread.
I'm urging all to post useful tips in this thread.

Some suggestions from previous threads:
-Take a book with you wherever you go. Wear ear plugs (headphones more optimal??) in noisy places. (Credit: jreacher)
-Read the right books

[youtube]cVLpdzhcU0g[/youtube]

13. Are there any groups/people I can talk about books, and reading in general?
-Well, this thread comes to mind.
There is a goodreads Misc reading crew that's hardly active-
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/68524-misc-brahs

MISC Reading Suggestions
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/...ng_Suggestions

Librarything might have an online community but I'm unaware.
[/spoiler]

10 benefits of reading

Why Reading Matters
[youtube]QdwFFFBCPzw[/youtube]
(all other parts are on youtube)

How to read 100 books

[spoiler] [/spoiler]

How reading makes your smarter

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Reading habits of highly successful people

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Reading habits around the world

[/QUOTE]
Not saying being drunk doesn’t mess up you reasoning. I’m turning 20 soon so I haven’t had a drink ever.

Last edited by Inno; 02-08-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Ghost1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b o o k, bags is an intellectual, his daughter is not