Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Vault > Archives > The Netcees archive > AOWL Season 4 Archive

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Battle Record: 36-34

Champed
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

Adonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant future
Default MAG - Week 4: The beat goes on

AOWL IV Magazine: Week 3
Produced by: Adonis, Certain, Vulgar and Kannon

Opening

Week Three is in the books, and to only have 3 people no show has to be some sort of an AOWL record considering there were something like 13 battles. Anyways, thank you for that to all who have showed. Voting is still not where I would like it to be, but slowly it is reaching some sort of respectable Mendoza Line. There were three participants signed out by the MOD's due to not voting at all, I really don't want to have to do that shit, but in all fairness, they sort of forced my hand. I'm under the belief of, the more the merrier, but if someone isn't contributing, lets just say I'd rather have ten solid competitors then 20 and with 6 of them not trying at all. Any ways, opened on our sour note, sorry. Thank you to Certain, Vulgar and Kannon for doing there parts in getting this mag out in a timely fashion. Welcome back is in order as well, to the People's champ himself, @zygote. You missed a hell of a Alias Tourney and Short Verse Tourney in which I'm sure you would have done amazing at both.

Leggo!

Feature Artist - @kannon presents - Best of September

<iframe src='http://www.audiomack.com/embed3-album/themilkcrate/best-of-september-2014?c1=fc881e&bg=f2f2f2&c2=222222' scrolling='no' width='100%' height='352' scrollbars='no' frameborder='0'></iframe>

No-Show Shine
by:Adonis

dead man – Wrote a story of a guy in a psych ward. He used strong, visual phrasing to give this verse a bit of breath. The cadence was sound and didn't really falter at all. I enjoyed this verse and seemed like you hit a bit of a stride compared to the first couple of weeks. I will say though, I think you reverse psychologied this topic because, I'm not sure if there are many people who don't believe the building you explained wouldn't be hell like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead man
musculoskeletal farce. a legend that we're told as a toddler
so we believe all along. mythical like stones of Gibraltar
psych ward, the overdosage forced in my palm
set me free like raven feathers or a company car
it feels like a migraine when i summon the dark
paint-marker scrawling joker cards like, luck of the draw
You have a way with description here and through out the verse. I could feel this characters pain, the need to take the pills as a form of escape. Dope verse my man.

Cereal Killa - A tale of darkness per usual. I love the style, no matter how hard I try to decipher some of your verses, I never really get there. But, when I do, I feel like I accomplished something. This one, I feel left in the dark. To me, it was about a woman in one of those glass showrooms, doing tricks to get a male to bid for her, so she could spend the night with him while he spends rent on her. The writing it self was good for the most part, but as I said, a bit hard to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal_killa
With violence, hunger and strikes
These idle hands now bridle a peach inside a lowly albino chapel
Amongst monkey’s groomed as bank managers with indigo satchels
Bruised by their lollygagging And how big I truly seem
I ditch the peach to cut open my cantaloupe just to let our voice breathe
I throw a few bones
though my personality must reach the same depth as debt with disease
***kle
I still don't get the fruit concept, the only way I could piece it into the verse is she is doing some weird shit with her vagina and the fruit, but then there is also AIDS? I don't know man, although I enjoyed this verse, I can't say I loved it because even though I tried, I never could get a grasp on what you intended. Solid read though.

Kannon – I'll be fully honest, I wasn't the biggest fan of this verse. The pacing was cool, but the direction and overall theme, the whole gangster verse turned good thing, I just wasn't a fan of that. The rhyme scheme, well, it was decent, but even while reading it, I felt like you are way better then this outing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannon
I've been known to push nice whips, drive quick and pack tools
So when I saw him in my back view, I knew it was a jack move
Couldn't react quick enough, .45 as he walked up
My mans in the passenger seat, staring into a shotgun
Too much pride to call for the cops, or Johnnie Cochran
I hopped out, and watched em pull away in my drop, stunned
Decent verse overall, but while looking at the best of the season, this is not of those to put it nicely. Still my PR brethren, a win is a win in any fashion.

Battle Reviews
By:Adonis

Dove Dozer 8-1 Defiant

Both of these verses were very short which as usual, will ensure for a high number of votes and being closed early. Dozer wrote what seemed to be from the perspective of a computer?? Technology to be precise. The length was very short, yet you were still able to fit quite a bit into it. The rhyme structure was good, and you didn't really misstep at all. I enjoyed the read, but I do wish there was simply more to it. Defiant fails to log a vote for the 2nd week in a row.

PancakeBrah 6-1 Greed
(4-1 adjusted for lack of voting)

Greed had a decent verse with some rather stellar flow. Right from the start, you leaped head first into a sadistic mind that takes joy in inflicting as much pain as possible to his victims. The verse moved on at a rather rapid pace and I'm sure held everyone’s interest. The only negative I can say about the verse was the fact that it took ¾'s of its entirety to get to the “why” of all this. By then, as soon as you gave a bit of background, the story was over. More length would have gone a long way here. “Wind kissing off the copper of chimes” is a fine use of visual sound, dope imagery. This verse read very dope, but the more I read the more I feel like you didn't nail the execution, after all, I can't blame myself if I don't fully grasp your concept. Therefore, it must be your fault. Anyways, the imagery was superb, flow was dope, phrasing crisp; but still, I felt it was just lacking something. What I'm saying is, the writing was top notch, but the concept lacked and you really needed more depth or meat to help this become more of a complete work.

Three-Planes-Aligned 4-0 Asylum

Asylum AKA Patrown wrote a verse I very much enjoyed. It was a war saga based in France of the Nazi era, for me to be able to type that kudos on the description you added. The story on the first read was a bit tough to follow, but on the ensuing reads I had a better understanding for who died and what the relationship was. Basically, this corn bred feed soldier found out he had killed his sister in one of the attacks he directly took part in. There was some decent imagery, but I feel like you could have focused more energy in that single area. Although you were flawlessed, this battle was closer then the outcome appeared as you really did bring forth a solid verse, however, you were simply outmatched in this case.
3PAY to wrote a bit of a war ballard, but this was more on the war of drugs to be cliché. I liked the rhythm in the verse, but I'll be honest, I wasn't the biggest fan. I never really felt a climax as I finished, this verse felt like it was missing something. I will commend you however on your angle regarding topic given. Adding actual history while similarly creating your own story running along side history, was pretty smart and worked well. In the end, this verse was decent, but still, I feel like either IT or I was missing something that fully gave me a complete feeling.

Mr. J 4-0 theMuzzl3

Muzzl3 I'm not really sure what else can be said. You received some very sound advice from the few voters that actually read your verse. The mechanics were simply lacking, but as I said, there is some solid writing hidden inside this personal novel. You were signed out due to not voting, but I hope you return and work on structure.
Mr. J Won based off shear mechanics alone because the verse as a whole just wasn't the best, point blank. I will say that having read most of your verses in competition if not all, even though this is one of the worst in my opinion, it still wasn't awful which some participants can produce. J had a verse surronding a conversation of sorts by god and satan or similar beings. I liked the tone of context and loved execution, but the take just wasn't done right. Too short to fully mature this verse and make it legit.

Split 5-4 Timeless

Timeless wrote a very short story, but a story it was, which is underated given the length he decided to go with. Pretty ambitious, and I think you did well. The character build up was so sly I think I missed it before. You explained a bit about the main character in a few short opening bars, then the story went sideways. I didn't like the poll or salad bowl as it felt out of place. But the connection you gave me to the character was strong as I could envision this guy who has all but given up then finds happiness on the floor.
Split, I gave you some high praise in my initial vote and I can't really change that. After reading an additional 6 more times I still think this is about the middle east and it being Americanized. Although I will say the verse, with each read, seems less and less cohesive and a bit more babble. Either way, for what the verse was I still enjoyed it, from the imagery to rhyme scheme I really have no complaints.

Witty 4-2 Soulstice

Witty wrote some sadistic throwback, Disney hidden message type murderous verse. I enjoyed every line, especially the opening. You set a tone with the mirror thing, a tone in flow, to me it read like a fairytale rhyme, Dr. Seus-esque. You continued the flow through out only having very minor hiccups now and again. The story line thoroughly kept my attention and I wanted to know where you going with this. I'll admit, it was fairly obvious, the jealous witch wanted to be the most gorgeous, but for some reason I didn't care, I just wanted to know what you would next with this fairytale saga of death and envy. Dope verse bro, one of the best of the season.
Soulstice “Gravity darling, take a leap, faults that are forming, slipping through
So dope bro. I love how you always write in threes, this leaves the verse wide open to interpretation and which is cool to read all the votes after the fact and see every which interpretation from beneath the sun. To me, this verse was a love story in which the two characters met in London and the relationship died there, both physically and non. What I got was the guy met the girl, seemed to be through drugs, and they moved back to his home. Only she was distant and missed her home, she eventually died with Aids and so did he, as they used the same needle. That might be way off, but I don't care and I get the feeling you don’t either. Thank you for the read. For the record, this battle was close as all fuck, but in the end I think the outcome was accurate.

CopyPat 6-5 Vulgar

Copy wrote yet another verse gone rogue, treading the less traveled path, carving his way into the imagination using concepts that are simply sitting next to the box. I enjoyed this verse, but as I said before, it's really dope the first read, then losses a bit of luster every ensuing read. So when you battle someone with the depth of say soulstice or vulgar, guys where I have no choice but to read 3-4 times before I get the slightest hint of take away, it hurts you. Because, for me at least, I like to read each competitors verse in the same battle the same amount of times, so when I have to read Vulgars 4 times, I also MUST read yours, by my standards. I know you don't care, because you clearly have this style and I hope to god it goes nowhere, but I felt like I needed to clarify that a bit. In any case, this was a very solid read worthy of the win against almost every verse this week.
Vulgar wrote some tale. He incorporated the thought of different breeds of dogs, but dogs in general, as hummanity and it's overall shittyness. I loved the verse more on this final read for the mag then I did when I voted. I feel like I didn't quite understand what you went for, but now I can at least wrap my head around half of it. The closing line was humorous but true. My only qualm would obviously be the over used, “Earth is shit” concept, but again, your takes are always so different that they are still enjoyable. Good read, thoroughly enjoyed, I stand by my vote.

UnbornBuddha 4-1 Listen

Unborn had a long winded tale about an author, who spent his waking days drugged out, in a dream realm, that he much more enjoyed over reality. This author Pie, eventually wrote a novel about hell it seems, and became a best selling author. The one thing I didn't pick up on, were what were his deformities? Maybe I missed that, not sure? Either way, the lines would get stretched from time to time, more often then I usually prefer. However, this was a good read. I loved the description on the demons and hell in general, you had a line along the lines of, “melting hell's frozen tundra, thus parting hell” I thought that was interesting wording, even stating hell has water let alone ice is so far from the norm, but still, dope read. I enjoyed it, even if it was maybe a stanza too long coupled with longer lines, solid writing none the less. Oh yeah, absolutely perfect connection to topic.
Listen, in the end I think the voters got it right, but to me at least, this was a very close battle. I praised your verse last week, and much of the same this week. This verse was a short read, to the point, some very strong character build up, some solid rhymes and a story paced perfectly. I saw no true wrong in this verse other then a typo or two, I don't know what the other voters were talking about. Well, yeah, I guess someone mentioned seeing the ending as soon as Jane entered, but that was due to strong character build up alone. Great grasp on explaining using descriptive means along with solid imagery. Side note, I know this guy Tyler in real life. He's chill as fuck, but just has nothing to say most of the time, but I'll never understand how he gets any girl he wants.

Certain 4-2 NYCSPITZ

NYC, again with a heavy emphasis on imagery, adding plenty of action into this well written verse. I loved it from start to end, your use of words was superb, “pacified wreck, laugh ***kles through cavernous walls, hazardous drawl”. Many words were used that aren't often used, but they all worked well and lent a strong hand in creating a very enjoyable read. I will say, I have no clue how this connects to the given topic, that is your only down side, and a big one at that. Nevertheless, this was one of my favorite reads of this short season. Great choice in content, reading war saga's about ronin will never grow old.
Certain I like the fact that you take pride about being able to write about anything. I would say that is a big reason I came to this site, as being given a topic was more challenging then not, and I needed that. Anyways, this verse had a perfect cadence with seamless rhymes. I love the structure, a,a – a, b,b – b. I noticed when I too use that structure I often get more votes than usual. As for the story, you had just enough background on the character, but when you add all of the description you did, anything more would have been too much. I thought the length was perfect, and although I feel like I missed a stronger connection to the topic, I know it is there, which is more then I can say about your opponent. I think this was a top 2 battle of the week, and my vote would have come down to preference and I might have given it to NYC despite his topic blunder. Not sure, but that is a strong possibility. Both of these verses were easily a pair of the best in the season.

Standings

Currently in no specific order beside wins and losses. Will get in more depth as we near post season regarding strength of schedule/similar opponents etc. Per rules and guidelines tie breakers. Most-Likely, top Fourteen will make postseason.

Participant: Win-Loss (#of No Shows)
*In configuring final season standings, #of No Shows will negatively affect your record. A no show will not count as a week participated.

Certain 3-0
CopyPat 3-0
Dove Dozer 3-0
Witty 2-0
UnbornBuddha 2-0
Kannon 2-1
PancakeBrah 2-1
Split 2-1
Vulgar 2-1
Mr. J 2-1
NYCSPITZ 2-1
dead man 2-1
Cereal Killa 1-0
Adonis 1-0

Three-Planes-Aligned 1-1
CampBell 1-1 (1)
Soulstice 1-1
Timeless 1-2
Greed 1-2
Asylum 0-2
Mike Wrecka 0-0
Zygote 0-0

========Currently Signed Out========

Defiant 2-1
Pent uP 1-1 (1)
Listen 1-1
Pinot Grij 1-2 (1)
Frank 1-2 (1)
Woosah 0-1 (1)
Rawn MD 0-1 (1)
Tyson 0-1 (1)
Echo 0-1 (1)
King Ra. 0-1 (1)
Windu Tuako 0-1 (1)
Cormier 0-1 (1)
Stranger 0-1 (1)
YDK 0-2 (1)
Objective 0-2 (1)
Uh-Oh 0-2 (2)
Innovator 0-3 (1)

Predictions
By:Certain

Championship: Certain (3-0) vs. CopyPat (3-0) | Earth woman
CopyPat is going to destroy me. All he does is rhyme. Is rhyme all he does? Rhyme all is he does. This battle is pretty good because I'm pretty good. But CopyPat is on a roll with his humor. zygote's back, and he'll probably call whatever CopyPat is a "humorous submission" and then vote for him. I'll probably write something that Adonis thinks was halfassed. Prediction: CopyPat 69-31.

Contender: Dove Dozer (3-0) vs. Witty (2-0) | Earth turtle
This battle is weird because I have no idea how much effort either of these gentlemen will put in. Dove Dozer has written one full verse that got no-showed and won on two half-verses so far this season thanks to missteps by his opponents in those weeks. Witty has a long and proud history of being a no-showing bitch. Witty's the favorite here, clearly, but Dove Dozer can tell a story in an entertaining fashion, much like his military friend Just Write. I like the topic more for Witty, though I don't like the topic much for anyone. Dove Dozer needs to up his ante and tell the better story. Prediction: Witty 61-39.

kannon (2-1) vs. UnbornBuddha (2-0) | Girl on a swing above a city
This might be the most interesting battle of the week because of the massive, ridiculously comical contrast in styles. UnbornBuddha uses all the words. He went over 650 last week despite keeping his verse with the 48-line regulations. That's not even easy to do. His lines are long, complex and, when he's on, completely engrossing. I really like reading his work because it makes me think. kannon, meanwhile, is the most rhyme-mechanically sound writer in the league right now. kannon's also much more experienced in this format. I do think he could be hit with an upset, but I don't think he'll underestimate UnbornBuddha after reading this, if he reads this. Prediction: kannon 58-42.

NYCSPITZ (2-1) vs. dead man (2-1) | Kid looking at tiger graffiti
This battle is one of those that obvious gets the battle of the week tag but might not live up to it. The reason is simple: effort. NYCSPITZ is coming off a loss in a contender match, while dead man put in his best effort of the season by far last week only to get no-showed. I do kind of like this topic for both of them, and I think they can spin it in very different ways. I'm hoping they both show out, though I'm guessing it's more likely that at least one of them doesn't go as hard as he can. At their best, they're clear-cut elite stars. I'll go with a prediction suggesting they both try. Prediction: dead man 51-49.

Vulgar (2-1) vs. Mr. J (2-1) | Headless Texas fan
It's weird when there's a rematch in such close proximity, usually one caused by a strange happenstance in the rankings. Mr. J took a tough loss against Vulgar two weeks ago, but I hope he's targeting revenge. I'm not sure how long Mr. J spends on his typical verses because they often seem very quickly written, but he'll need something more thought-through to beat Vulgar, who is inconsistent but rarely lacking in effort. Vulgar's inconsistency comes from his unwillingness to play to his strengths every week. Mr. J is a great lyricist, but I'm not sure he has what it takes to beat Vulgar conceptually. Prediction: Vulgar 55-45.

Split (2-1) vs. PancakeBrah (2-1) | Wolves raid train
This is kind of a tough topic, but it's a really cool photo. And both of these fine chaps are very visual writers. And they've faced each other a million times, so they probably won't be too motivated to try to do anything huge but should hopefully go hard for a short battle that will be one of the best reads of the week. Split doesn't have the complete command that PancakeBrah possesses at his best, but he can put together great verses because his style is so unique. I also think he's more motivated, though I'm not sure how motivated either is. Expect a lot of really unusual rhymes and pretty images. Not sure about white girls. Prediction: Split 52-48.

Camp Bell (1-1) vs. Three-Planes-Aligned (1-1) | Chewbacca on the block
This battle is going to have so many rhymes. Camp Bell is basically an endless font of rhymes. Three-Planes-Aligned has more dimensions. That's a pun. He's got one of the densest rhyme schemes out, but he also provides very thought-provoking content in a vocabulary-heavy format. Both of these guys can become slaves to the rhymes too often for their own good. Camp Bell could pull the upset here if he writes something engaging and plays off Three-Planes-Aligned's occasionally mechanical delivery. Prediction: Three-Planes-Aligned 62-38.

Soulstice (1-1) vs. Adonis (1-0) | Hijabs and boobies
This matchup seemed familiar to me, too, and that's because they were scheduled to face each other in the first week of last season when Soulstice no-showed. This is an interesting one. Both of these guys can get accused of being too opaque with readers. That's why Soulstice did so well in the Short-Verse Topical Tournament (which he champed): He had no room to fuck around. And he can outwrite anyone. Adonis would be advised to focus on his content and make his verse engaging and clear. This topic is strange. It's actually not suitable for work. I don't get it. It doesn't seem up Soulstice's alley. But I think he's good enough to work with it. This battle will be closer than it looks out of context. Prediction: Soulstice 52-48.

Cereal_Killa (1-0) vs. patrown (0-2) | Android's face opening
These two actually met early last season, and patrown won in shutout fashion. But man, this topic seems right up Cereal_Killa's alley. He has a much more defined style, but that style can be polarizing. He tells some weird fucking stories and doesn't make it easy to follow. But you get lost in his pretty words and engrossed. patrown is at his best doing what he did last week, telling a story with good mechanics. He had some slips that cost him, though, and it'd be nice to see him polish things up a bit. Cereal_Killa might no-show, as he's already signed out for next week. Still, if he shows, he's the favorite. patrown probably will sign out, only to sign back in, at some point this week. Prediction: Cereal_Killa 56-44.

timeless (1-2) vs. Greed (1-2) | Chair, clock and nowhere
I like this battle. Both of these fellows posted excellent verses last week that were slightly outclassed by top-tier opponents. Their topic is weird in a way that might be a tough fit for Greed's more hip-hop oriented style. timeless sometimes struggles when he goes too far outside the conceptual box, though. They both rhyme well, and they both clearly are much better when they don't write something super-fast. I'm leaning to timeless based on experience and topic. Prediction: timeless 56-44.

Mike Wrecka (0-0) vs. zygote (0-0) | Paris on a cloud
Remember the Writing Challenge League? That was the first thing I entered when I joined Netcees, and now it seems like forever ago even as it was only 14 months ago. Mike Wrecka won the league, which was run primarily by zygote with Mike Wrecka as the assistant moderator. Now they get to face off in a battle of topical competition. zygote, of course, has dropped his verse already. Mike Wrecka hopefully will show, even though he seems to claim he's retiring every two weeks. I haven't read zygote's verse, but it's hard to imagine it being anything less than spectacular after he won his final five matches of last season, skipped the playoffs and disappeared off the site for four months. Mike Wrecka is capable of stepping his game up to a very high level when he needs to. I'm not sure he can beat a full-force zygote, so he better hope for rust. And to be fair, zygote is a machine. Prediction: zygote 61-39.

Interview
Bold = Adonis
Font = Kannon

What do you plan on achieving in AOWL season 4?
Honestly, I'm just happy to be writing again. Even if I have a hard time finding inspiration in the topics. Maybe that's my plan, work on finding inspiration in shit I find uninspiring.

I know you are new here, but are there any competitors you would like to face and why?
pancake, certain, uhh.. people keep talking about this zygote fellow. But I have this weird thing about not reading my opponents pieces anyways. So with that in mind, theMuzzl3.

What's your approach to writing? Do you formulate a concept or just dive right and see where it takes you?
I always form a concept first. I try to find some way to twist the topic, or figure out some original spin I could use. And then I start to write the story. I do, however, rarely end with my intended ending. I'll work out a basic structure, and let my mind wander from there. I usually come up with something better or more adventurous once I start writing.

In your opinion, what is most important aspect of writing? meaning concept, rhyme structure etc?
I'm a sucker for flow and cadence. Some dope scheme patterns, and it's a wrap. I have noticed myself being way more of a stickler over little shit lately though. Don't misuse words. Don't sacrifice your wording to make a rhyme. And if you are gonna stretch your lines, keep your shit flush. It's weird when your lines slowly get longer the further I read.

I figure you know the talent for the most part, any end of playoff predictions? like top 2-3 odds on favorites?
I mean, I always like to think I'll be there. But who knows. Plus, a lot of dope heads have been half assing or no showing, so who can tell. I like Soulstice. I like Pancake. 3PA always seems to win in these things. I still don't think I've read anything from Dead Man. I'll try to do that this round.

What do you think of AOWL voting thus far?
So far, it's been pretty fair. I wrote a super quick verse for round 2 just to avoid no-showing, and I got 0 votes for it. Makes sense to me. Sometimes I think it's weird when I see a battle being pretty one sided, and then the votes are pretty split. But I tend to write more straight forward, and if I have a hard time deciphering someone's vague metaphors, I'm not gonna vote for it. Other people seem to have more patience than me.

A little background, Kannon comes from PR like myself. There you are given the freedom in choosing any topic you'd like, which is often different then your opponent. So.. What is the biggest downside or upside in being given a topic?
The biggest down side is obviously having little to no inspiration when writing. At least at PR, I'd be able to dig through and find something I liked. But here, I have to force myself to try to uncover something in a topic I would otherwise scroll right past. I also feel like a lot of the times people end up with such vastly different approaches to their topic that it doesn't seem to matter that they were forced into the same topic at all. But maybe that's the point. Who knows.

Are there any changes you'd like to see regarding the league?
I mean, I could say better topics, but that's all subjective. Maybe just less cliche topics. I found the topics last round to be super cliche. Maybe you can keep the assigned topics thing, but still open a suggestion thread. Pull the assigned topics from there.

How do you feel about me taking away votes for every lack of required vote? I did this because if nobody votes the league is dead, although I wish I didn't do this, and I don't feel its all that necessary. We will at the very least weed out the bad seeds before long.
Don't feel bad about it. I didn't have a lot of time during the week of round two, and I fully expected to be signed out of round three when I didn't vote. Honestly, I think you taking away votes is perfectly justified. It's not like you're tricking anyone. They know there will be a consequence.

Anything you would like to add in closing?
download my best of the month mixes: http://the-milk-crate.blogspot.com

Petty self promotion bruhv, I did you one better though.

Week 4 Power Rankings
By:Vulgar

1. CopyPat - Coming off big wins over Pinot Grij, Vulgar, and a no show win over Pent Up that he might have well won, CopyPat has faced a gauntlet and hasn’t even broken a sweat. I expect this Canadian laddie to champ the league at least once this season, and this week he has his opportunity. He gets the #1 spot.

2. Certain - Like CopyPat, Certain has also come up against a murderer’s row this early in the season. So far, he’s dispatched Frank, dead man, and NYCSPITZ. I expect him to show his full power in this week’s championship match. Where CopyPat is eccentric, Certain is streamlined and calculates all options. If CopyPat oversteps his boundaries, Certain will capitalize like he has so many times before.

3. Witty - Witty is coming off of a huge win over a surging Soulstice, who I felt had the verse of the week in the battle of the week. Witty came out on top, and he’s looking well oiled this season. Expect splashes. Or flashes.

4. NYCSPITZ - This topical veteran has showed up respectably so far this season, signifying his reinvigoration. I don’t think his loss last week to Certain will cause him to revert back to his no showing ways. Quite the contrary, someone may feel his wrath this week.

5. Dead man - dead man got caught slipping against Certain two weeks ago, but he’s building steam and fortifying his acumen. I expect him to place numerous heads on a pike when he gets his armor on and stick with it.

6. Three-Planes-Aligned - This colorful Russian peacock has been known to ruffle feathers. After taking a tough loss to Frank in the opening week, 3PA proved last week that he’s here strictly for business: to champ the league.

7. Dove Dozer - Pure instincts and well rounded abilities have taken Dove Dozer to a 3-0 run in the AOWL so far this season. He’s beaten decent competition but the main issue I have with putting him higher up the ranks is that he hasn’t put any great effort into producing a great piece. His best verse this season would lose to any of the top 10-15 verses this season. He's going up against another momentum-filled object this week in the form of a solid competitor in Witty. Will his win streak continue or will the spout of good fortune run dry?

8. Soulstice - Soulstice hasn’t made his mark yet in the league statistically, but he makes up for it in the entertainment department. I really like what he’s been putting forward, and I’m predicting a good match between him and Adonis this week.

9. Unborn Buddha - Siddhartha is dominating… there’s no doubt that Unborn has a ton of potential. He can either be baptized in the fire that is the AOWL where fierce competition runs rampant, or he can rise to the occasion and start showing his strength.

10. Kannon - Kannon is making his home in the AOWL, getting comfortable and writing quality verses. He is an interesting addition to this season’s line-up, and he has no shortage of confidence from years of previous experience.

Verse of the Week
@Witty - Other Candidates Certain and NYCSPITZ

"Mirror Mirror on the wall, who is the fairest one of all?"

"Famed is thy beauty, Majesty. But hold, a lovely maid I see.
Rags cannot hide her gentle grace. Alas, she is more fair than thee."

The boiling blood bubbles, her veins a cauldron of hate
The fall of a great beauty, cast to sea from the trawler of fate
Solemn and strait, her tone of voice low, sombre, and faint
Doubt creeping in her brain, her peace rescinds, decays
As deep within the seeded sin and grief begins to weigh
Her defeat is in dismay, paranoid...the elitism displayed
Must surely now recede, as the people in the street begin to say
"The Queen's in disarray, the only path she'll lead us is astray"
People weep, begin to pray, as many others leave, disillusioned
This confusion makes her mind take a leap to a sick conclusion
Day crawls to night, trees seem to be gaining in height and menace
She finds a crevice, somewhere she can lay and wait for the fight
Relentless, as she aims for the right place to ignite the blaze
That excites her senses, staring through the haze of her mind
Pensive but patient, as she gathers herself, with a glint in the eyes
Envisioning this bitch's demise, within a litany of bigotry, lies
And misery as any remaining sympathy dies, now is the time
Inside the house, the clock strikes on the hour and chimes
She stands and roams to the window and sees her in bed alone
A moment she needs to seize before her seven friends are home
She opens it and climbs through, within mere feet of her target
With the grace and peace of a harpist, the ease of an artist
Her easel a harlot, finally finding her release in the darkness
She makes her gag on a poisoned apple, and leaves her a carcass
And just as she hears somebody 'Sneeze', she disappears...
...the only trace that she'd been, the leafs on the carpet.

"Mirror Mirror on the wall, who is the fairest one of all?"

"Famed is thy beauty, Majesty. But hold, a lovely maid I see.
Rags cannot hide her gentle grace. Alas, she is more fair than thee."

With a furious scream, she's released from her spurious dream
There seems to be yet another even more pure and serene
She has long flowing locks of golden hair, with a fierce pride
Piercing eyes, the type to touch your soul as they peer inside
She tracks her to an idyllic village of castles and wealth
While she ***kles and murmurs her evil plans to herself
She's been observing her house, looking for servants, a spouse
Strangely all she has seen is a teacup, a bird, and a mouse
Hours pass, still no sign of the princess, as a party starts
She stands in line feigning interest, surrounded by barbies, tarts
Common scum, until as if cast by a magic spell, her face appears
Grace some years ahead of her age, she's met with praise and cheers
The Queen awaits in fear, this isn't the place, but her fate is near
Sitting at the bar as she dances with the most handsome of men
Satiating her fandom and then dancing again....
...eligible bachelors lining up, forming a tandem of ten
But just before midnight, her voice develops a strange inflection
A pained expression paints her face, with a faked affection
She breaks from the dance, worry creeps onto her pale complexion
She runs for the door, the Queen follows, unconcerned of her plight
This is the time, her last living rival's getting murdered tonight
She turns the corner, the girl laying in the gutter with a blistered foot
A crystal shoe, all that remains of her glitz, so it will do
She slams her face against the ground until it's battered and broken
In tatters and soaking, then with the heel starts stabbing her throat
And then it's jammed in her eyes, she's tame, weak and she can't stop it
As the heel is forced in, until her brain leaks from the damn socket

"Mirror mirror on the wall, who, now, is the fairest one of all?"

Closing

We are currently 1/4 way finished with the regular season. We are approaching the champ match ups. Reminder of Automatic Bids = Anyone who posts and votes on every single week. Any in-season Title Holder. This will typically account for 6 playoff births of the final 14, so that takes away half the playoff spots right off the bat. Keep that in mind moving forward. Have a good week, hopefully we continue with having few no-shows and improve on voting a bit.

Last edited by Adonis; 10-22-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
Mr. J
The Clown Prince

Battle Record: 35-45

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Mr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant future

1st
Old 10-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #3
Witty
Lime Life

Battle Record: 30-41

Accomplishments
- Only Slightly Retarded

Champed
- Lyric Olympics
- Summer Classic

Witty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant future

Very enjoyable read, thank you for the kind words.

I assure you I will not no show.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #4
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Battle Record: 40-19

Champed
- AOWL Season 3
- Art of Writing League (2x)

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

Very good magazine. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:48 AM   #5
UnbornBuddha

Battle Record: 23-10

Champed
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 5

UnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant future

Thank you for the read, blessings.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:08 AM   #6
asylum

Battle Record: 7-5

asylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant future

nice breakdowns. appreciate the effort.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
Cereal_Killa
Licking Lily's..

Battle Record: 11-6

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Cereal_Killa has a brilliant futureCereal_Killa has a brilliant futureCereal_Killa has a brilliant futureCereal_Killa has a brilliant futureCereal_Killa has a brilliant futureCereal_Killa has a brilliant futureCereal_Killa has a brilliant futureCereal_Killa has a brilliant futureCereal_Killa has a brilliant futureCereal_Killa has a brilliant futureCereal_Killa has a brilliant future

massive respect..

thank you guys..
Old 10-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #8
timeless
past tense

Battle Record: 22-39

timeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant future

yes
Old 10-23-2014, 08:17 PM   #9
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Battle Record: 36-34

Champed
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

Adonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal_Killa View Post
massive respect..

thank you guys..

I dont care to further elaborate on my verses next to never, but I'll still ask

What did I miss?

TUPAC SHAKUR
Closed Thread