Old 05-25-2020, 10:18 PM   #1
Inno
Ad mini tator

Battle Record: 26-54

Champed
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Inno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond repute
Default GWL WEEK 9 MAG: THE DRAMA STRIKES BACK

GWL Mag Week 9:THE DRAMA STRIKES BACK!

Intro:

What's up topical heads, Artifice here. Alright, so with everything that's gone down the last week and a half, I offered to do the mag to give Inno and Adverse a bit of a break... so let's jump right into it. I'm going to sum up this week's drama with one meme...

lol. In all seriousness, this week was fraught with no-shows, fighting, signing in, and out, and in again, and all the stuff that (let's be honest) really is a staple on text boards. We had arguing over a DQ win based on an extension misunderstanding and accusations of hate voting, and when the dust settled @Universe has signed out (for the remainder of the season it seems) and @Clutbuck is back in (and in the champ match this week). Hopefully @Universe sticks around for the playoffs because there's definitely still unfinished business here, and that passion/anger can really get the stationary motivated. Moving on for now...

WEEK 8 PICTURE CHALLENGE: REVIEW
By: Inno

Universe

Quote:
Imagine That

We were brothers in arms, our backyard was come one come all
Full of endless possibilities until the sun set at dawn
Where imaginations run wild like Hulk, no ho hum involved
We'd rather grow up and fall than slow time and stall
We stared at boats that none saw perched on those gun ship balls
Infinite like Booker DeWitt and Elizabeth, with Bioshock on pause
We got into the kind of danger that left grown ups appauled
Life is layered with cliffhangers, so most won't climb that wall...
My Mom came outside and bro was gone, I was alone, dissolved
A homeowner's flaw, the space I rent in my head can't be owned by law
Without large possibilities, my mind became closed off, small
"Who are you talking to?" No one, I thought...

No one at all.
another solid entry from UNI, really sucks he signed out and left the league over stupid reason. I suppose I cant blaim him tbh. anyway this was a dope flowing read. the rhyming in this piece is dam near flawless tbh. actually after reading this, it was a different type of feel. like it wasn't a traditional uni verse in my opinion. it was to the point and rhymed a lot more than im used to with his verses. dope take on the topic thanks for the read uni.

Johnny 6 feet

Quote:
Serenity

"A fine day for skipping stones!"

The ripples spiralled like poetry
Every line a new fate etched in the glowing sea
Jacob laughed, musically, as his father sat beaming
In the distance, air ships danced, Angels birthed from Demons
The war had them Hell bound, now they're spellbound
The peace at bell's sound, Heaven's where they dwell now
Mankind had won it's inner struggle, purged of it's sins
Faced it's crushing loss, then reversed it to a win
The mines tick no more, the cannons fell silent
Benevolent rulers emerged from those branded as tyrants
No more hatred, it had 'Gone gentle into that Good Night'

"We are the children of the atom, and the future looks bright."

ok so this was an interesting take to the topic as well. ive said this a couple of times but its alweays true. johnny is becoming a fav for me. his style is poetic but not so poetic that I confuse it with lets say an adverse. just enough poetic voice with a touch of top notch story telling. this was no different. telling an almost cautionary tale after the fact. I liked the last line tbh as it pretty much brought the whole message to the light, no pun intended. well done 6feet

Artifice

Quote:
remember back when it started, the clashes of class
those left behind were the kind that didn't happen to have
no more rags to riches, the rich live in the ships
floating above death like clouds of ethanol bliss
the downtrodden, impoverished, stuck on the ground
struggle in this barren wasteland with nothin' around
air quality so poor it's a reflection of status
live in these small tanks to escape all of the madness
feel like dying at present cuz the future is futile
but i'm kept alive cuz the higher-ups find me useful
but lives are cut short, often we're gutted
celebrity's stole our hearts long before they were ever comin'
there once was a time seeing stars was important
now they only come out when it's time to harvest our organs
ok so this was the same type of take the other 2 entries took but with a bit of a twist. honestly I think the twist makes this take a bit more profound. eluding to a dystopian tale about the rich harvesting the poor for their organs. a very relatable take if im being honest. the rhyming was spot on but not as obvious as UNI's entry. i gotta say i think what drives me to like this piece so much is the twist, it wasn't expected but it felt like it was the right angle to take. nicely done!

WINNER:

ok so this week was a bummer tbh. not to many entries and not to many votes unfortunately. only 3 people decided to participate which is expected after 8 weeks of writing but still sucks lol. anyway this weeks winner is @Universe as he takes the votes 2-1. congrats to UNI for wining his second challenge of the season. Congrats and thanks to those who posted! until next week!

POWER RANKINGS!

1. Bodey

Quality wins: Adverse, Scar, Inno

No-Show wins: 0

Record: 6-2

Bodey takes the #1 spot after being the first person to defend their title this season. Will she defend it again this week and remain in the top spot in next week's rankings?

2. Clutbuck

Quality wins: Universe, Inno

No-Show wins: 0 (1 DQ win & 1 DQ loss)

Record: 5-1

While Clutbuck does have the best record percentage-wise, I gave Bodey #1 as she's on a 5-win streak and successfully defended her title. However, if Lars takes the champ match this week he will solidify his place at #1 in the rankings (and in the pantheon of the topical gods)

3. Adverse

Quality wins: MMLP, Bodey, Vulgar(sub)

No-Show wins: 1

Record: 5-3

Adverse gets the #3 spot as he's in the Contender's match this week. He's been competing on top of helping Inno with mags and setting up matches, plus he's been through the gauntlet this season, facing three topical heavyweights in a four week span.

4. Johnny 6 feet

Quality wins: Artifice, Ender

Record: 2-0

Johnny's new to netcees but not to the scene, and that's evident. He's taken the 3rd spot with is 2-0 record, and if the season were longer than 10 weeks I suspect he might've climbed up in the rankings.

5. Inno

Quality wins: Ender, Candy

Record: 4-3

Inno's still in the Power Rankings because he was just in the Champ Match and he's also the only person currently signed in with a winning record lol.

Week 8: Reviews
By: Artifice

Adverse vs. Vulgar (sub)

This was a cool battle, with a nice clash of approaches. Vulgar took the more direct approach, building a story based on the main characer, set in a time based on the picture, and woven with details that tied into the picture's dark imagery in that way that he does so well. Adverse on the other hand took the more creative approach, crafting a narrative from the perspective of the main character of the painting, keeping the reveal until the very end. He dropped breadcrumbs throughout to foreshadow, but they were subtle enough that the surprise felt like it should, and the voters gave it to him in a 4-3 decision. Good showing from both here.

Ender vs. Johnny 6 feet

A little controversy here, but not quite up to par with the next battle. Johnny had a cool take on the picture, having the darkness represent the predatory nature of the main character, and tying in the TV with the sting operation at the end and the “To Catch A Predator” surprise. His vocabulary was good in helping describe the character, voters pointing out some minor awkwardness in phrasing. Overall a great take on the image and good execution. Ender on the other hand, dropped a day late and way over the limit. I get it, sometimes when you've written something you just can't come to edit it, but the voters disagreed. I thought he had a cool approach to the picture, but overall the length and way the story rolled out just didn't have enough... Johnny 6 feet takes it 3-0.

Contenders: dead man vs. Clutbuck

This could easily have been BOTW, but unfortunately it ended in a DQ. Let's just say that there should never have been any voting on this battle as Clutbuck did make it clear he wasn't granting an extension, and technically dead man posted over an hour past the extended deadline. I know nobody likes to see wins or losses by DQ, but technically Clutbuck was right in that there never should have been votes. I don't think there was/is hate voting going on, but that's a moot point given the 'no extension given'. Only dead man's verse remains up, maybe he'll post it in the OM at some point if people want to leave feed. Clutbuck said he rushed his verse and so didn't want it to go up against something dead man spent more time on (which is understandable tbh) so hopefully he'll iron out whatever kinks he thought his verse had and post it in the OM too at some point, as both verses are fire.

Champ Match: Bodey vs. Inno

Interesting champ match here, both writer's took distinct but similar approaches, in that the monster under the bed was something inside of them. In Bodey's case her character was a sociopath and she nicely contrasted her upbringing with how she was inside. A nice dichotomy that reflected the yin-yang of the image. Inno took the approach of the monster being addiction (heroin addiction it would seem) and had some excellent language and imagery to develop the monster that grips. Both had their strengths and weaknesses in the eyes of the voters, but Bodey came out with the W in this contest, and is the first Champ to successfully defend the belt. Respect.

Week 9: No Show Shine

So there were a lot of no-shows this week, which is unfortunate, it's almost as if horror week scared people away

Let's give some love to those NS winning verses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe
Chapter 5 - The Dark Places We Hide

http://www.netcees.org/showthread.php?t=142946

Chapter 6: Decomposed

*The following continues directly after the events of Chapter 5.

"Not everything buried is actually dead. For many, the past is alive." -*Louise Penny

My brother came out of the therapists office with tears in his eyes
He said "Mission accomplished, now it's time to reveal your disguise"
Then surmised, "You must dig up the past to rinse off the dirt"
Dr. Dixon quietly switched out her journals, signifying it was my turn
Ever since Uncle Ben and The Cranberries asked what's in my head...
I've been obsessed with I Am Legend, Zombieland and Night of the Living Dead
Doc replied with a bit of dread, "I think your missing link has a hold"
I cracked a smile and said, "Well then, lets start digging that hole..."

Shall we?

3 Days Later - 3:13 PM

*A woman's scream*

I awoke to distant thunder rumbling, this may intimidate others...
But a familiar urge had grown inside me, interrupting my mid day slumber
I shuddered in the seat of my pick up truck, it sucks to be a slave to your body
Parked at a secluded spot near the edge of my 22 acre property
Muscles ache but no stopping me, I reached in the trunk then spun around
With a clean shovel that I heaved into the previously dug up ground
Blood was bubbling now, I was pulled down like a surface undertow
Feeling more and more alien every time I'm unearthing what's below
Hauled up Dr. Dixon's corpse slowly, I actually could feel her rigid bones
Exhuming an ex-human just exposed what the killer didn't know
I go "It was me who slit your throat." She was bloated with gas and quite limp
In fact when I entered her ass with my dick she didn't bat an eyelid
Racked with excitement, I felt her cold cunt catch on fire
In doggy style, I knew the eruption was coming so I busted inside her
Have to say she stunk to high heaven, and it made me insane
Banging a corpse in a makeshift grave, that's how I was basically raised
But until these cravings are satiated I'll stay in this state of decay
And here I'll remain, awaiting the day when they take me away...

... chuff chuff chuff chuff...

In came the helicopter blades... fuck... I knew this hell was not safe
A cell phone dropped in place as I held on to Doc's legs
Then it started to rain; A screenshot dispelled all the thoughts saved
It displayed, "That's 30"... and suddenly I was compelled to stop...

Strange.
It's too bad he signed out for the rest of the season, as he was having each week's verse build an overarching narrative that the season would have completed. If you want to know what he was planning for the rest, he mentions it here:

http://www.netcees.org/showpost.php?...64&postcount=7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice
her window of opportunity, the sky turns grey
no more hideaway, she's comin' out... it's time to play
they desperately tried to keep her mind a daze
but this ray of light to her right helped her find a way
beginnin' her trek in a pink dress w/ a hood
most kids 'd be too skittish for this neck of the woods
trees rooted in fear... so see as you near
the creepiness keeps increasing the less that you look
ground made of carcasses covered in fallen leaves
muerte from the smallest shrubs to the tallest trees
no sorrow for the poor souls swallowed in dirt
for their bloodshed brings life to her body of work
victims fertilizin' her garden of death
smell sickening to the stomach, so hard to digest
like a fungus or a disease spreading thru veins
she raises annuals of anguish, perennials of pain
witness land grown by the hands of a daughter
her innocence luring you in like lambs to the slaughter
it's a fatal mistake to try and be nice
when she says
want to see my garden? you'll have the time of your life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinacog

just kidding, no fucking love for Mr. Dragons and Demons.

WEEK 9: PREVIEWS!
By: Artifce

Pharoah's Army vs. Inno

alright, this could be a really good match-up here, as both have a style that leans heavy on the poetry end of the spectrum imo. Inno is the vet here, but PA has been around for a while too, and from the bit that i've read since I've come back, it looks like he's definitely improved since I was last around. I'm gonna give Inno the edge here, but could see PA coming in with the upset. Inno 65/35

Artifice vs. brokenhal0 vs. PancakeBrah

so dam this one should be a great one tbh. halo comes in and always drops good stuff. im looking forward to what he drops as hes itching for a win tbh. artifice is a vet and honestly if he sticks around for the playoffs i can see him taking it all the way to the finals and winning if im being completely honest. meanwhile cake is a always a pleasure to reads and its a honor to have him sign up as he hasn't competed since aowl back in the days. i don't if he will show but im hoping he will and give us all a treat. i don't know how to rank this tbh. i would give it to cake but it think artifice is starting to get into his groove and he will be hard to beat. i got artifice by a hair. 45/35/20

Contender's Match: Johnny 6 feet vs. Adverse

this is gonna be a good one here... Johnny's an old text head who's reappeared during the coronavirus quarantine, while Adverse has been on the site now several years. Johnny's had a strong first two weeks going 2-0, while Adverse has seen some tough opponents so far and is coming off an impressive win against Vulgar, a veteran topical writer of top calibre. I could honestly see this one go either way, so I'm leaving it at a coin toss. Heads it's Johnny, Tails it's Adverse.

*flips coin*

It lands on it's fucking edge. Unbelievable. 50/50.

Champ Match: Clutbuck vs. Bodey

Popcorn, get your popcorn here! This one I'm really looking forward to. Clutbuck was our first champion, winning the week 4 Champ Match. Then the next week some crazy shit went down (I wasn't here yet) and Clut got DQ'ed and Universe was the champ. Universe lost the belt the next week to Scar, and Scar lost it to Bodey. She's the only one this season to successfully defend the title, winning last week's battle against Inno. And now, Clutbuck is back to regain the belt he first held. There's also background drama here, with accusations of hate-voting and previous shenanigans. I think both battlers are gonna bring their A games here, so lookout for fireworks! With the pic being similar to last week's pic, Bodey's gonna have to get creative to tackle with the topical terror that is Clutbuck, I'm giving him the 60/40 edge so prove me wrong Bodey.

Week 9: Special Shout-Out

I think it's only proper to give @Vulgar some props, dude has stepped up twice in two weeks as a sub so that writer's would have an opponent. It's too bad the season's pretty much done, it'd be great to have him sign in.

OUTRO

Alright, that about wraps it up. Let's try and have a clean week with everyone showing (there's only 4 battles so I think we can make it happen) and let's try and rebuild the momentum we had a couple weeks ago. Also, with Inno & Adverse leaning towards ending the season after 10 weeks and going into playoffs, there could be some really close records and depending on who decides to show up for playoffs (or at least wants to) & we could require some sort of wildcard/deathmatch scenario to see who gets in. Update: Inno is thinking of opening playoffs to everyone, so anyone who's been signed out for a bit get your asses back in here.

@Scar @Bodey @Universe @Adverse @Clutbuck @dead man @MMLP @Inno @Ender @orrie @Blue Bayou @Objective @fraze @Candy @Witty @Master Rock @NYCSPITZ @sletcht @brokenhal0 @Pharaohs Army @Artifice @NoetiC @Elfo @Johnny 6 feet @Requiem @Echo @john hensley
Old 05-25-2020, 10:19 PM   #2
Inno
Ad mini tator

Battle Record: 26-54

Champed
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Inno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond repute

big shouts to @Artifice for doing the entire mag by himself. its really appreciated for real. had some fun with last weeks drama so take it as jokes to lighten the mood in here a bit. enjoy!
Old 05-25-2020, 11:23 PM   #3
Adverse
low tide in serotonin bay

Battle Record: 37-28

Champed
- GWL Picture Challenge
- Guerrilla Writing League
- Black August II

Adverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant future

Thank you so much for picking up the slack this week Art, it was appreciated. It's been fun writing mags but it felt good seeing one completely from a reader's perspective. Only four matches this week and I'm looking forward to them all.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:58 AM   #4
Candy
Sell Her

Battle Record: 1-3

Candy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant futureCandy has a brilliant future

dope mag thanks

Old 05-26-2020, 06:00 AM   #5
Johnny 6 feet
Storyteller

Battle Record: 8-4

Champed

Johnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant futureJohnny 6 feet has a brilliant future

Fantastic work Art. Really appreciate the effort you put in.

Top 5 eh? You silver tongued devil. :)
Old 05-26-2020, 07:31 AM   #6
Bodey

Battle Record: 1-1

Champed
- Guerrilla writing league

Bodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant future

Lmao the mag should always have memes involved from now on
Old 05-26-2020, 04:57 PM   #7
Scar

Battle Record: 7-5

Champed

Scar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant future

Awesome job guys. Thanks for the effort
Old 05-26-2020, 06:42 PM   #8
Vulgar
Razor-thin derision

Battle Record: 40-25

Accomplishments
- OM HOF

Champed
- Fight Night LIV
- Gimmick Battle League (2x)
- Write Week II
- Art of Writing League
- Storytelling And Topical Invitational Tournament
- STI
- Haiku Writer Challenge
- GWL Picture Challenge(2x)

Vulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant future

Nice mag, thanks for the read.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:12 PM   #9
Universe
Everything's Connected

Battle Record: 19-8

Champed
- Guerrilla Writing League(2x)
- GWL Picture challenge(2x)
- Art of Writing League

Universe has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant future

Loved this mag lol. Great job @Artifice. @Inno 2x pic challenge champ update please :)

Looking forward to reading this weeks verses... I miss this already
Old 05-27-2020, 07:23 PM   #10
Blue Bayou
Ukrainian Howlitzers

Battle Record: 41-24

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- NBL Season 3
- Alias Tournament II
- Fight Night XLVIII
- Fight Night XXV
- Fight Night XV
- Fight Night (3x)
- Netcees Battle League (4x)
- NBL Tag Team Season 3
- Lyric Olympics
- 1-2 Punch League (3x)
- Battle Arena League (2x)
- Key Grand Prix 2018 1/2
- BA Tag
- NPL Roast
- Netcees Pic League

Blue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant future

The UNO CARD leaned me lmao
-kungfugrip