Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Vault > Archives > The Netcees archive > AOWL Season 5 Archive

User Tag List

Old 11-15-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Battle Record: 36-34

Champed
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

Adonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant future
Default The Mag: Playoff Edition: Adonis Going Old School Nerd

~Playoff Preview: The Mag:~

~Intro~

Welcome to the playoffs gentlemen. I never thought we would make 16 weeks considering around week 6 the league began to falter and was inches from caving, big thanks to Lars for helping right the ship first and foremost. This season was a strange one that included getting some real talent from another site, not sure where some of these guys came from, but the field was stacked the entire season. Enjoy you mag bitches.

~Feature artist: Vince Staples~

Vince Staples is a Californian rapper out Long Beach with ties to Earl Sweatshirt and Odd Future. He is one third of the group Cutthroat Boyz alongside Joey Fatts and Aston Matthews. He released his first solo album last year and was instantly put on XXL 2015 Freshmen class. He uses similar beats on most of tracks and I like that heavy base and slow feel. Dude is pretty conscious but also spits that rugged vibe often. Enjoy.

Table Of Contents
  • Week 16 Battle Reviews
  • Week 16 No-Show Shine
  • Final 16 week Standings
  • Interview ft. Timeless
  • The Field: Writer Bios
  • Round One Predictions
  • Best Battles of Season 5
  • Best Verses of Season 5
  • End of Season Awards

Leggo!!!
Old 11-15-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Champed
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

Adonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant future

~Week 16 Battle Reviews~

WK 15: MMLP squeaks by Timeless 5-3

A week late, sure, but I promised I would get to it and here is the proof.

@timeless : I enjoyed this verse for what it was. The structure wasn't stellar, but the execution was crystal clear and on point. I'm not quit sure how this story linked to the topic but meh, I enjoyed the read. The concept behind the verse was rather witty. I liked the back and forth conversation as often times rhymes take precedence and butcher any natural conversation that may have occurred. You did this well, I mean carrying a natural conversation you know? All in all, I agree with you, this was one of your better verses of the season, good shit. I would have voted you easy FYI

@MMLP : First off, the amount of simple typos was insane given the length of the verse. You opened up with a very strong writers voice, but you quickly tapered down due to the errors and not keeping up the same level of rhyme structure. The story itself was decent, but nothing really eye popping or ground breaking. It's obvious you rushed this, which can be fine at points, but a quick proof-read would have done wonders here. You left a huge opportunity unnoticed, you could have easily trickled in visual gore, giving this verse more of a focus on the gruesome, instead you just told the story. Decent verse, nothing spectacular.

Godcomplex vs. Asylum

GC
: This was a fun read my man. You gave a lot of background and incorporated many details through out, enough for me to draw a connection with the main character and fully understand the severity of the trauma he went through. I don't get the final line because the metaphor is eluding me, so I can not say your execution was amazing. As for the story though, I feel like you painted a picture clearly, you had a visions and direction in mind while writing this and hit the mark true, aside from that final line of course. Loved the use of asystole as well, never seen anyone else use that beside me.

Asylum: Good god man, this was an epic if I ever read one. You were extremely detailed with imagery, kept a quick pace as progressing the story and finally, you added a ton of fucking background explaining exactly who the narrator was. This verse was damn near perfect, I really see nothing resembling an error and misstep. This is just a clean cut verse about an Alien race who creates these warriors, or maybe they just wake up from deep sleep before battle, in any case, the main soldier is a berserker though. I haven't even touched the rhymes yet man. You kept a steady pace, and I will add that I normally hate long bar because it's not my style but you murdered that shit, any ways... The rhymes were consistent and not simple at all, they were developed finely as you incorporated many inners and multies through out. I hate to be that guy going into the playoffs, but this is my favorite verse of the season.

Championship: (c)Nigma vs. The Law

Nigma:
This was some good writing right here, no going around it. Well, I didn't like the opening line, there has to be a typo in there somewhere. In any case, the message was loud a clear. You tackled a story of lore and did so in using conversation and imagery as the main catalyst. The main character is that dude by the way, you created character that I love because he's just a bad motherfucker, fearless and deadly. The twist in the end was good as well, I must say I did not see that coming, but on further examination made perfect sense. You use of words and your use of description in a made up story was very strong, you gave this story physical breathe, breathe that I could see in this cold world of conquering and pillaging. Thoroughly enjoyed my friend, top notch verse.

The Law: So the ending of this verse was good, if you had proper time to flesh out the individual lines and fully execute this verse it could have potentially been a great one. Alas, you fell a bit short due to the many grammatical errors and typos riddled through out and not having a fully fleshed out verse. As I said though, the story it self was actually really good a highly enjoyable. I thought the rhyme scheme lacked from time to time due to it being a bit simple, but again, if you had the proper time to write you could have added a few inners or multies giving this read a completely different look.

CopyPat vs. Frank

Frank:
So I enjoyed the fast paced read that moved on fluidly in a consistent manner. This read more braggadocios then anything to me, which is cool I guess, but gets boring if done often. All in all, the structure was weird to say the least, reminds of juvenile of Hot Boyz in drop it like it's hot where every line ends in “huh?”, dope track by the way, still is. In any case, I appreciate the concept work because it's a bit different then most would think of, which is you in a nut shell. Decent read, dope concept, OK verse though.

CopyPat: This was a dope read though. You incorporated the topic superbly, but the way you linked it to your actual writing process in this league gave it an entire extra dimension. This read made me feel like you talking about yourself pertaining to writing and your process. I enjoyed the pace you kept as always, and the take on the concept was rather fresh. Not much I didn't like about this verse honestly, it in all the right places, effectively executing a concept piece that gave me a view into the ever eluding mind of Pat. Good outing this week though, I liked the drop start to end.

Timeless vs. Mr. J

Time:
First off, this has to be the shortest battle in AOWL history, you guys are fools. Let's see. I liked this verse, though far too short, you def could have dragged it out and made it an actual story making it more captivating. The opening stanza though felt out of place, like you through that in before you found your direction. Decent read for what it was though. I would have voted you.

Jay: Eerily similar to your short verse last week that had the same feel and same type of ending. The verse had no real direction though, it just ended. Decent read, but not the best execution on concept.

~Week 16 No Show Shine~

Jesodist: You went biblical. I enjoyed the concept but feel you sold it short, I mean you took a grand concept and didn't make it grand you know? The rhymes and cadence were all there, nothing really faltered other then one, maybe two typos right in the middle. I also will say that the end was a bit vague, you didn't give me a link or clue to who the character was that inherited earth. There was no background and no emotional or personal links, it was just a guy in the end who was clearly important, but you made him even less then an after thought. Decent read though, I enjoyed it to say the least. I'll mention when when Winter Topical Tourney sign ups begin.

Exis: LMAO at “a bit of failure like flo is”. I didn't like this verse though. Read the exact same as last week, more audio then topical. It was entertaining, just had little meat behind it to really pique my interest.

Vivid: I liked the concept behind this verse but due to its brevity you didn't bring it full circle executing as good as you could have. The writing it self was pretty good, no issues at all really. This verse was a breeze you progressed almost too fast, you were saved because you gave an extra line of character background on the girl then the others, so you did have a main character. All in all a solid read that left me wanting more. This verse as is though was good enough to beat a few others this week, def not one of your best though.

~Final Standings~

Champion:Nigma 10-2

GodComplex 11-5
Mr. J 9-5 [1]
Razah 6-4 [1]
Rakontur 6-2
Asylum 5-4
MMLP 5-2
VividilyVague 5-1
EtH 5-1
YDK 4-4
Ullr 4-5
NYCSPITZ 4-4 [2]
CopyPat 4-1 [1]
The Law 3-1
JESODIST 3-1
Exis 3-1
Witty 3-2 [2]
Frank 3-6 [3]
Timeless 3-9 [1]
2Tripple0 3-9 [1]
Flo Real 1-5 [1]

Old 11-15-2015, 12:35 PM   #3
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Champed
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

~Interview~
Timeless
Adonis

Adonis: I started writing around my sophomore year in high-school so that would be 98 or 97. No clue why I started, but I quit for a few years in between up to about three years ago when I became a junkie for writing. I would love to get published one day, the problem is sitting down and following through. How'd it all start for you? My original name was x-caliber though. Went by that for a good 6years at least.

Timeless: I always fucked around on my grannys typewriter as early as 4-5 yrs old, typing up my rip off goosebumps type short shorttttt stories. Didn't dive into rhymes til I was about 9 or 10. Mostly ghosted freestyling.com for a couple years. Hit the old RSTL off and on on RapMusic. Also posted a bit on UGHH. Stopped when I was 16 or so but always wrote here and there. Now I'm 26, came back at it two years ago and haven't stopped since it seems. I don't think it'll ever leave me to pen up some rhymes or short stories. I always wanted to write a novel in the back of my mind but I don't have the patience lol. You do writing outside of rap? Anywhere I can check some out at? What's your specialty?

No, I write short stories that rhyme 99% of the time. I have a huge catalog and one day would love to just drop it off somewhere and let a publisher do what they must with it. I know YDK wrote a children's book, so likely I'll do this first, but honestly I'm lazy when it comes to that shit. I been moding so long now that I ain't got time for other shit. It takes a lot out of me man, and my final stop will be this winter topical and I'm stepping down from it. I just want to write. High hopes for doing a screen play eventually. What else would you like to work on? A re-boot on a more gory goosebumps would be glorious though. 26 is young bro, you got time on your side but it passes quick.

Idk I feel like my writing has regressed. I was in the champ match vs. Oats two seasons ago and now I can't even buy a vote from these new cats. Other than that I'd like to write a novel or a screenplay one day, most likely when I retire lol. Speaking of modding, you and baron have done a great job keeping this league together. Any ideas as to who's going to hold it down for the next aowl? I'd love to see you two get back on the pen game asap.

No clue man, but application always accepted. I know EtH is a candidate for one but beyond that nobody has showed much interest. I miss the fuck out of writing. I mean I still write, but not actually sitting down to pen. I just been doing these 45 minute keys which I'm good at now. Used to take me 2 hours to write, but I still miss taking my time. I feel your frustration with not getting votes though. To play devils advocate though, you been writing short verses so if you going against full verses it's a tough win.

I'm enamored with beating names. I got Lars although he hates it. I knocked off a few big names from PR my home site before they retired. This is really what I write for now. People on my list currently are certain, zygote, vulgar and cake. I got Nigma once. Though he's much better now. Frank to, he killed me the only time we faced. Why do you write? What's your motivation?

Man I don't even know lol. I guess old habits die hard. I forgot all about PR since NC came back from GOWs grave. Who do you see champing this season? Do you plan on writing in the winter topical or are you just modding?

I'm not going to answer who I think is going to win AOWL until I see the bracket, but I will say my list of candidates is maybe three people, but then again, i never had YDK in the finals last year so.... I would love to compete in the Winter Topical but I also realize I can't put my full effort into it cause of writing mags and shit. But I'll def try and multi-task. Also, tsk tsk on not getting close to answering the original question of why do you write. It's all good, find that motivation and destroy it. Who do you most want to see battle in the finals or a battle in general with the field we've compiled?

And that's all for me brother, appreciate the time. I gotta work on this mag that I have high hopes for. Looking good so far man. Pieces.

Lol I honestly couldn't tell you why. I'd like to see asylum vs. Mr.j in the finals. Ydk has all the tools to make another run plus he took the past few weeks off to prewrite bars so he should be good lol.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:48 PM   #4
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Champed
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

~The Field of Contestants: The Game Genie Edition~

Donis getting his nerd on right chea.

**Disclaimer** There are a few bios of people not in the playoffs because I been working on this mag since before I knew the field, and since I wrote it I'm posting it cotdamnit.

~The Long Shots~

CopyPat: Skate or Die

Before Tony Hawk or Skate, this game came out and revolutionized what turned out to be a storied line of Skating franchises for many consoles. This game was the shit. Much like you Pat, super fun for as long as you played it, shit got hard too. Pat, you have penned some of the more memorable verses to date, but this is not why this game reminds me of you. This game at the time was groundbreaking, something out of left field and unexpected, but that first time you played you were hooked. You write to your own drum and can easily beat any writer at any time. You are in the long shots list though because I don't think you can drop 4 consecutive mind blowing concepts where you execute flawlessly.

2tripple0: Metroid

2K, you are a conundrum, truly. Half the time I have no idea where you are going, but I want to get there with you. Metroid was confusing as shit pre-internet and I would get lost and stuck on simple shit, wondering what I missed. Pretty sure that is all I need to say right? No, I won't give you a slight chance at winning the thing but I actually enjoy your writing, and I feel I'm not the only one, I just wish you can find that balance, soon my friend, soon.

~The Drak Horses~

Ullr: Metal Gear

Metal Gear was a ruggid game back in the day, the first of it's kind, and with it, the birth of solid snake. Ullr, you have penned some very interesting pieces, the one about Indians against GC comes to mind for starters. Then, you also have dropped some lackluster short keys that still stood there own, but won't be praised anytime soon. Metal Gear actually had a pretty big map for it's era, and I think this encapsulates you well. You can actually write a verse if given the time which should get you past round one depending on who you face. I think you have a real shot at this, but you'll have to beat the elite, which I don't think you have yet.

Asylum: Tetris

I think you have rounded them edges as highleted in the past four week where you dropped two poetical reads and a story and a think piece. You have become a chameleon, dropping knowledge in a verse or playing it fun and letting you words play poetically. Tetris is something you may get bored of, but will always be fun, no matter what. Tetris is a game of planning ahead, and I think you have that going for as you have the ability to tailor a verse to a competitor, something few can do.

~Up and Comers~

The Law: Mega Man

Mega Man was a game of bosses. The levels themselves were easy sledding for the most part, but once you got deep into the bosses, you really had to try. You came in swinging, writing some really, really good verses even if they got no-showed. You lost a bit of steam last week barely sliding by, but still, facing a boss you are. As I'm writing this I don't know if you will make the playoffs because Nigma hasn't posted, but if you win I will re-write this thing using Mike Tyson's Punch Out.

~One Year Out~

Timeless: Baseball Stars

Baseball Stars was a dope game though, you remember when you moved a defender left the entire team would move, WTF at that, still kills me to this day. Anyways Timeless, you have competed well all season but that doesn't mean you haven't dropped less then stellar from time to time. You have been one of the most consistent of the season and a staple in the AOWL for a few seasons now. I don't know if this is your time, though it could very easily be. You have the skill to beat elite talent, but I'm not sure about doing it multiple weeks back to back, which will be required in the post-season. We'll see, thanks for being a competitor and voter consistently, this moves the league above all else. Side note, I would have picked a basketball game for you but they all sucked back then, Bird vs. Jordan was cool but I never could get them dunks down.

Rakontur: Ninja Gaiden

Ninja Gaiden was a game I enjoyed for about a hour each time before walking away. That game was fun as fuck for me, but kind of hard in reality. Rak, you have dropped some very good verses, but mostly you have keyed short topical/concept art that gets the win when you are matched in length. Much like Razah, the short key styles will get you eliminated, but I think you do poses the skill to make a deepish push.

MMLP: Rad Racer – LMAO @3-D action

Rad Racer is still one of the ultimate arcade games, shit has stood the test of time in all honesty. The problem with rad racer is it was kind of a one trick pony. I mean, you are racing a car, the tracks change, but it's the same shit. While I don't think this part of the game represents you, I do think you are suited for writing shorter verses because the only long and drawn out verse I can think of that you penned was not a success. The champ match. I think you can make a deep push, but as Rad Racer, you may get more recognition as time passes.

~So You're Saying There's A Shot~

Razah: Excite Bike

A fast paced read that you can zoom through while enjoying for a hours. Razah, you're a relative new-comer to the AOWL and hope you stick around, although even this year you were MIA around mid-way through. Excite Bike was a very short game, much like your verses, but they are highly entertaining while they last. I highly doubt the short verses will get you the crown here, but again, it will be fun for a bit.

YDK: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

For me, I think YDK can produce any kind of verse. He is as well rounded as they come. Meaning he can write a simple story or dive deep into a mind fuck, but he can also write a true topical utilizing metaphor galore a la his championship run ending at certain defeat, see what I did there? Ninja turtles is a game you just don't get tired of, either way, you'll eventually succumb to its wide array of map and lose your lives.

NYCSPITZ: Blades Of Steel

Obviously I picked this for one reason above all, but actually as I'm writing this something else came to light and fit perfectly. Blades of Steel was a very fun game, still is to this day. But what made it fun was the fighting, haha, ties into this week just fine, right you ass clown? I have said many things about you and how you are one of my favorite writers of all time, the problem is I can not recall a single verse this season where you were in form. I hope you get into gear, make post season and silence the doubters.

VividlyVague: Duck Hunt

You will never be bored with this one. Reading your tales and there distinct, stand alone style are a joy. From true topical to a concept piece you simply have a knack for writing in the sense of writing good novels. However, you do primarily stick to what you've mastered while in a crunch, kind of like your crutch. Telling stories in first person. While every story is different, much like duck hunt, you just don't get tired of shooting that fucking dead dog, and I'm glad you found your way home champ.

~The Favorites~

Nigma: Super Mario Bros.

I'm not sure what else I could have given you beside maybe Mike Tyson's Punch Out, maybe that is most fitting but meh. Super Mario is the original game in my mind, but beyond that, it was also the most entertaining of them all. You competed at the highest of levels since you joined back in 6 or whatever it was. Two time Champ with multiple title defenses.

Godcomplex: Zelda – The Gold Edition

Zelda, when this shit came out pre-internet it was impossible to beat. The vastness of it's actual game field was intense, the different options and routes were overwhelming, the difficulty was too much to bare for me forsure. But most of all, it was always a welcome challenge that next to nobody could beat. Buddha, you've been a force all season, shocked you weren't crowned this season, but there is only one crown that matters, and your still in it.

Mr. J: Contra

Contra was my favorite game growing up until Super Mario 3. Mr. J, you have penned some of the most consistent verses over the life span of AOWL but you are your own worst enemy. Up, Down, Up, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Select, Start. 99 Lives right there. Contra was the most fun game for me easily, kind of like my go-to. When all else failed, Mr. J had something for that ass (no bromo). By the way, Build your own map was the shit and still is.

~Finally: The Best For Last~

Adonis: Tecmo Super Bowl

Greatest game of all time, this is not up for debate. Playing as the Raiders with Marcus Allen and Bo Jackson in the same backfield or as the Eagles with one of the best QB's in NFL history, a real life personal friend of mine cause he dated mom in high school, Mr. Randall Cunningham. Adonis, you may very well be the best human being living now, and possibly ever, in history. You're welcome world. The trick is hitting the console on the top first, then blowing into the console opening, then blowing into the cartridge, then pushing it in and out of the console at least 4 times, works like a charm. Yall don't know.

Lars: Duck Tales

Lars saved the season. I can't lie, I was about finished with it, and just as Dr. Dog grew tired so did I in the early season. I went out of town and Lars offered to step in, I came back and shit was running smoother then ever. Not gonna lie, he lit a fire under my arse, I wanted to be a part of something bigger again, and thanks to Lars I remembered that. Lars is the man, not much else to say. Happy 40th you un-American prick.

~Round One Predictions~

(5-2) MMLP vs. (4-4) YDK

I think I can say potential BOTW for all of the battles, but this one I might be most excited for because of the similar styles. MMLP has actually been elevating as the season progresses while YDK has been on his same old same old run of masterful verses sprinkled in with a lackluster drop every other verse or so. He's more inconsistant then MMLP and more polished when he is trying. So YDK has the higher ceiling but he also has the far lower floor. It all depends on the motivation, and although YDK is the lower seed, this really could fall either way. YDK 51%

(6-2) Rakontur vs. (3-9) Timeless

This is probably the battle I least look forward too. It's not that neither of you can't write your asses off respectfully, it's just that I think the other match ups will be a slightly more fun to read. Rak has been quietly consistent to be honest, I don't remember many verses of his, but I do remember a couple so that's saying something. Time on the other hand has been dropping verses every single week, but more often then not are a short 20 lines or so where he trims all of the fat off and delivers precision. So Rak could essentially steal this with a long verse, but at the same time, Rak's longest verse was what? Under 24 lines or so I guess. So stylistically these two posses similar traits making this a close call. I think this will be decided by more then a few voters stating “its a preference thing”, and in the end Rak 52%

(5-4) Asylum vs. (4-1) CopyPat

This shit will be the most fun to read right here. Asylum has picked up his pen game considerably over the past few weeks or so while Pat hasn't really evolved, but then again, who wants him to? He doesn't really have a schtick or gimmick, but the way he writes is his alone. From his flips on the topic to the way he stretches syllables thin, dude can compete with the best of them. However, I think Asylum is more polished and is vastly more motivated here, it seems like he really wants to have a deep push. So with that said, I think sy can edge it out with a fleshed out verse that is about 34 lines long or so compared to Pat's usual 16 lines of awesomeness. Asylum 55%

(5-1) VividlyVague vs. (4-4) Ullr

Battle of the minds here. I can't even recall the last verse Ullr wrote in the AOWL but I do know he's stayed frosty, competing in at least Vulgar's Poetry league, but most likely competing in more then just that. Dude is a machine and can write some classic saga's. Come to think of it, I don't think he has a single style. I think U can has a wide array of execution tactics and mechanics and concepts for that matter that, like a Swiss army knife of AOWL. Vivid is on some other shit though. If he had signed in and competed in a few more weeks he would have been a champ or at least reached 1-2 title matches no question. His shorter verses are prone to drop votes because his style is weaving a story, so if it's a short one he lacks build up, but if given the time he's winning against anyone in this tournament at there best, maybe no always, but he will stand his own and not be flawlessed. Vivid 65%

Old 11-15-2015, 12:53 PM   #5
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Champed
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

~Seasons Top Battles

**In no particular order other then week 1-15**

Week One: Razah vs. GodComplex
Week Three: Mr. J defeats Buddha
Week Five: YDK vs. Rakontur
Week Five: Ullr vs. Razah
Week Six: Clutbuck vs. Nigma
Week Six: YDK vs. Ullr
Week Seven: Nigma Vs. Rakontur
Week Eight: YDK vs. GodComplex
Week Eight: Nigma vs. Mr. J
Week Nine: Mr.J vs. Frank
Week Ten: Frank vs. Timeless
Week Ten: Nigma vs. Razah
Week Nine: Spoken vs. EtH
Week Eleven: Razah vs. NYCSPITZ
Week Twelve: Godcomplex vs. Ullr
Week Twelve: Mr. J vs. Nigma
Week Twelve: Rakontur vs. Flo Real
Week Twelve: Dearg vs. Witty
Week Twelve: Timeless vs. Vividlyvague
Week Twelve: Nigma vs. EtH
Week Thirteen: Timeless vs. Asylum
Week Thirteen: Witty vs. Frank
Week Thirteen: MMLP vs. VividlyVague
Week Fourteen: Rakontur vs. VivididlyVague
Week Fifteen: Timeless vs. MMLP

~AOWL Season Five Best Verses~

**In no particular order other then weeks 1-15**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
It’s like being deprived of your psyche’s oxygen
And then mentally forced into a violent catalyst
But, we’re no match, they have giant battleships
Equipped with behemoth cannons that breach our palace.
My whole family has disappeared underneath the madness,
The pile of ashes that are steeped in sadness
A verse about Chistopher Columbus and the other whites, a detailed saga about the plague of the Indians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razah
Honestly, does this ever bring sorrow to your heart?
If today doesn't suit your vision you'll take tomorrow all apart
If I could tell you how I feel through the language that I know
I'd tell you I was full of joy 'til you brought hatred to my soul
I feel like you're a man that sleeps & dreams of all his pride
But this anger that I feel feels like thunder screaming from the sky
& the shouting doesn't stop, you're a cancer without a cure
All I can do is wait & say a prayer - For all pain we will endure

A story about Indians and turmoil the white settlers brought over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator
But mother nature keeps it course, always self cured
The leaves hurt but still endure
Between the concrete cracks they plan there escape
Towards the sun and out a brittle landscape
enduring the hurt that brings them grief.
But theres only but so many chances to take defeat
Digital casinos paving grass into c-notes
Wishing the trees grow eternal coast to coast
But always betting against the odds.
A verse about trees symbolizing nature and fall as a season representing mankind and how only nature will live after humans ruin life and die off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigma
i sit atop the highest peaks. its scenic, you know.
lived the times when Egypt was still gleaming in gold
i seen the rise of hell and all the demons it holds
and i've seen Orions Belt utop the Giza Plateau
This verse bounces around where Nigma is just playing the part, either death, life or god as a character. Masterfully penned. Truly is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godcomplex
But, in my proprioceptor despair, I couldn’t sense anything there
All spatial dimensions were impaired, and death is certain if you’re off by a hair!
So, I fell and miss… Those close enough could hear my cervical snap
Talk about a terminal dance, huh? Go ahead, at my expense, have a personal laugh.
A verse about a tight rope walker, a trapeze artist? Who dies in gory detail. Some fine writing where GC started with the death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullr
And thus, "England Prevails" the same as a ship with the wind in its sails
propeled by a lie, assuaging the course
thus they fell into binds with the raging divorce
of hatred and force, no refrain or remorse
only swing stories and fabrication maintaining with force.
An image of prosperity, reanimating a corpse.
A verse about V for Vendetta where UR wrote about politics and government and did so while weaving a story in rather fine fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asylum
Taking hold in it’s black soil, ashes and acid rain,
Inside plastic, pollution, what’s the solution to the human spirits unending pain?
Rebirth. While our eyes see hurt, our souls have seen worse.
It’s between the two we align our minds to find our purpose,
And climb past the glass ceiling, without ever scratching it’s surface.
The Spirit was strong in this one. Sy wrote a verse about an aching city and life and rebirth and death, simply penned, solid writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PancakeBrah
she picked the pockets, checked for a wallet and change.
anything loose. then whiplashed the jeans versus her hips.
a melancholy refrain. then another subservient flick
into the washer. she'd wait right beside.
a naked, biding time. a wicker hamper for seat,
her toe tapped to a beat. eyes off in the window,
looking awfully widowed as he sat in content.
the cycle would stop in an instant, to break her stare.
changing to the dryer,
the absolute utmost weight she'd bear.
A verse about a mother who lost her son who still does his laundry and other tasks. This was simply put, writing done at a very high fucking level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godcomplex
As to you all:
I won’t comfort any of you with religious dribble
All I can say is if there is an afterlife where spirits linger
Be sure to give whoever in charge there the middle finger!
A verse where the world is ending on Live Television, the main character is Barney on some CopyPat type skill level. Solid verse. Memorable concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutbuck
“I’m making sure my life has a meaning,”
“By dying!?” I pleaded for my friend to see sense
“By trying,” he reasoned.
“Remember me, friend.”
A verse about Ants and populating and following orders or not. Anarchy wins out, kudos.

Quote:
I've seen the tip of wisdom and eclipsed it's vicious, distant levels.
Hell I've seen the fallen angels, must assume there's risen devils.
Saw the blizzard settle, now I'm resting since my breath is fading.
Slept to see the blemishes invented from the quests I've taken.
A verse about a lost soul and lost mind, This was a somewhat memorable concept before re-read, so it must be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDK
At peace; within hell,
These are the reasons that the leaves have all fell.
Released every season, each leaf is a bell
Beckoning "come forward" each crunch is compelled.
Memories of myself have been repeating for 5 years,
So when autumn replaces summer I remember, you died here.
YDK wrote a vivid and imaginative verse about seasons and change and just did so in pristine fashion. Probably a top five of the season for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
I must apologize to those; I was an inconsiderate jerk
I must apologize if you were irked by my decision when you were just on the verge
I ask that the Gentleman of the jury, accept my apology, let's get this adjourned'
I should’ve never asserted myself over you by stripping you of your insignificant worth
AOWL MODERATOR is never granted, It is earned

As for the pigeon, it went on with its search

Because this apology letter never made it –

you just got shitted on by the verse
[/b]
I don't think I need to explain much here, but I do assume this was directed toward me mostly, but partly toward Split 8, either way, catchy verse that deserves props. Rest your bones my friend, see you in the Winter Topical.

Quote:
I glance and read the chapters as the ink attaches, bonds, imprinting
Fastening forever, set to speak the past of all existence
Saw what's written, I like to read. The day it's wisdom climbed in me,
The ticks been in my hands, its like there's lime disease inside of me
A verse about reading and the travels. Nigma also fit in movie scenes, thus, the hands of time were birthed.

Quote:
The tingling in my toes was serrating: my clothing heavy with snow like a robe with its weight an
I watched the Driving Instructor get towed away.
The rear lights in the blizzard like two Rudolph's going to chase him
Jack Frost never did get this drivers license
A verse about a drivers test where Jack Frost is born, a frozen young boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless
Thought, "I'll log into Red Glare and bring the title home.
Might even battle myself with two flows of a tidal cloned."
Forever left his integrity at the door but let his spinal roam.
Picked at the skeleton in his closet until the final bone.
Do I really need to say anything else? Dope verse, better concept, and best four lines ever right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoken
He sold his soul to his worshipper and never turned back,
A sergeant in his platoon but had forgot he was a dad.
A husband, a friend. A human being at that,
Suffocating himself till it all fades to black.
A war saga that was penned purely in a poetical tense, I thoroughly enjoyed this verse, this battle was my favorite of the season I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtH
As men fall to the floor, each of them relatives
In danger, I stretch out to yell and point
But am held back by my under-developed voice
With my mother by my side, I’m never left alone
She whispers into my ear, she’ll never let me go
A war story where a mother is killed in the middle of a war holding her infant, touching shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtH
The air thickens, gravity pinned down by the kiss
I was honestly lost, at the border we crossed
A lip locking peninsula of strawberry gloss
A once depressant adolescent, now earth was pleasant
Gently, she held my hollow hand and transferred her essence
This was a dope verse plain and simple, I don't think I need to say much given the quote. Fine writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodComplex
I was away for so long I missed your development.
You went from microscopic amoeba’s,
To having an actual physical skeleton!
But, I see you poison yourselves with quasi-spiritual medicines;
This was a dope verse, one I missed out on through the season, must have been slacking. A verse about us, or them maybe, either way, this shit was dope through and through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMLP
with both feet on the ground things kicked into gear
a king would be crowned and begin a career
as it quickly appeared the full package had came
bringing them fear in just a matter of days
A verse about Messi will always be one of the best in the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty
Often I fall in love, but there's rarely a happy ending
Indulge in reality, then I'm immediately back pretending
I soared in the air like an eagle, and fell to the dirt
Had a sordid affair, lost my love, by hell did it hurt
I've created works of art, admired the world over
Carried the weight of the sun, atop my burned shoulders
Escaping is addiction, stay on it too long and you get hooked
Cuz when this fantasy ends...I'll just move on the next book.
I think this exert sums it up quit clear. A top five of mine overall easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty
The games are almost complete, no more appeals or delays
I stare over the crowds, in to the fields, in a daze
I'm ready to go, and put an end to this show
Will I burn in hell, or be reborn with a heavenly glow?
I face death with a warriors soul, that I'm proud to give
Just one more letter to go...

...Wait

He guessed the letter, got the word as a whole.

I'm allowed to live!
This verse was a story that was told crystal clear, top notch writing here.

Quote:
Emily groaned, as her Mother shook the thermometer, the silver mercury, jellington froze
She inspects the cold thermometer with perplex, in woe - When it explodes, metallic splatter freckles her nose
The Upstairs Bedroom Flickers from the sidewalk looking up... light bulb embers aglow
Mother looks out the window distraught, in discrepancies shadows
As a Priest walks up behind her offering sentimental console,
This quote does not do the verse justice, but as it was way over the limit I'm not reading, I just know the verse was fucking awesome all things aside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asylum
The sorcerer forced out a loud cry through a throat that hungopen,
spraying blood from his gaping neck until he lay frozen.
The hungry Haitians numbly waited, trying to wake him patiently.
Until their stomachs ached so painfully, his flesh became a blossoming fruit,
What an image. A verse about voodoo and zombies of sorts. One of my favorites of the season, top 6 easy.

Quote:
plead with them and see if they can speak to God and summon Him
they say even demons bleed, we can beat it. just don't cuss and quit

she started acting weird, was tested, peed, we seen the plus on strip
people always seeking ways to even up the dumbs they did
our breed has shown achievements, no ones speaking on the trust from kids

we started off as martians, now we're leaning on the mothership
Read this story, so well done it's scary.

Last edited by Adonis; 11-15-2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #6
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Champed
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

~End Of Season Awards~

The awards were given by a panel of peers who selected who they felt won and I tallied them up.

Best Overall Writer

Nigma x3
Mr. J

Most Consistent

2Tripple0 x3
Godcomplex

Best Voter

Godcomplex x3
Frank x3

Asylum

Best New Comer to AOWL

EtH x2
Ullr x1
Razah
The Law

Most Improved

MMLP x4
Asylum

Best Verse

Not one verse received two votes
But CopyPat's name was brought up here twice.

Best Battle

Not one battle received two votes
But Frank was mentioned multiple times.

~Outro~

This will be final large mag, from here on out it will pretty much consist of previews and reviews alone. If anyone would like to be interviewed holler at your boy.

Last edited by Adonis; 11-15-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:14 PM   #7
asylum

Battle Record: 7-5

asylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant future

I enjoyed the flash black of the season! Nicely done, @Adonis. Thanks guys!!
Old 11-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #8
Nigma
The COAT...

Battle Record: 28-20

Champed
- Art of Writing League (x3)

Nigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant future

One of the besy mags I've read in all honesty. The work you put in is rediculous, can't imagine how long this took you. Major respect for not only this but for an amazing season. Your works appreciated, thank you.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #9
Razah
rockkFresh

Battle Record: 8-10

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Razah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant future

Skate Or Die, Metal Gear, Tetris, Mega Man, TMNT, Super Mario, Zelda, Contra, Mann- Those were all dope. Game Genie!? Loved that thing. Made people hate me when Pokemon came out for Gameboy. Haha

This mag was dope. Made me want to go out & buy a Super Nintendo & and just play all day. Really dope shit.

Looking forward to being able to finally write something.. been out for a while. It's gon'be funn. Good luck, ya'll.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:11 PM   #10
MMLP

Battle Record: 15-16

Champed
- Write Week 9

MMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant future

Brilliant mag, loved reading.

Salute
Old 11-15-2015, 04:31 PM   #11
YDK
ghost in the matrix

Battle Record: 14-25

Champed
- Art of Writing League (x2)

YDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant future

My mind can't comprehend the dopeness lol I'm gonna have to read this a few times
Huge props bro
Old 11-15-2015, 06:00 PM   #12
e11even
V.V

Battle Record: 31-20

e11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant future

Fucking sick bro. This mag was stellar. The Nintendo theme was very refreshing. I love you angle on mags. Hopefully next season you'll be one of the contributing minds. Great work.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:42 PM   #13
timeless
past tense

Battle Record: 22-39

timeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant futuretimeless has a brilliant future

Best mag I've seen since Certain was around. Good shit @Adonis. Interview was dumb haha

@rakontour how many lines u going bro? Thinking 20-30?
Old 11-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #14
Woke

Battle Record: 6-4

Woke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant futureWoke has a brilliant future

Dope mag, nes better then what they got now a days still
@timeless line length sounds about right. Gonna start soon I'm sure
Old 11-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #15
UnbornBuddha

Battle Record: 23-10

Champed
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 5

UnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant future

Just reading it now, enjoying the theme, very fun to read. Amazing dedication to keeping the league running, after Split bailing and all.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:21 PM   #16
e11even
V.V

Battle Record: 31-20

e11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant future

I'm now a fan of vince staples. Now I get what my ex was ranting about. Just listened to both albums and that segued into The Game's Documentary 2.5. Now that's a fire ass album. I have homework to do but I'm procrastinating. The music isn't helping.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:35 AM   #17
Vulgar
Razor-thin derision

Battle Record: 40-25

Accomplishments
- OM HOF

Champed
- Fight Night LIV
- Gimmick Battle League (2x)
- Write Week II
- Art of Writing League
- Storytelling And Topical Invitational Tournament
- STI
- Haiku Writer Challenge
- GWL Picture Challenge(2x)

Vulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant future

Nice mag.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #18
Nigma
The COAT...

Battle Record: 28-20

Champed
- Art of Writing League (x3)

Nigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulgar View Post
Nice mag.
A wild Vulgar appears

Knew I shouldn't have wasted my masterball on that limbless hooker
Old 11-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #19
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Champed
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulgar View Post
Nice mag.
20 lines

due tonight. For fun???? or you can post tomorrow, I'll post tonight.

Feel like writing and I can't work on reviews cause these lovely specimens have yet to post

I'll make a thread here?????????????

TUPAC SHAKUR
Old 11-18-2015, 08:26 PM   #20
Vulgar
Razor-thin derision

Battle Record: 40-25

Accomplishments
- OM HOF

Champed
- Fight Night LIV
- Gimmick Battle League (2x)
- Write Week II
- Art of Writing League
- Storytelling And Topical Invitational Tournament
- STI
- Haiku Writer Challenge
- GWL Picture Challenge(2x)

Vulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adonis View Post
20 lines

due tonight. For fun???? or you can post tomorrow, I'll post tonight.

Feel like writing and I can't work on reviews cause these lovely specimens have yet to post

I'll make a thread here?????????????
Certainly. I may stretch my wings henceforth.