Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Vault > Archives > The Netcees archive > Art of Writing League Season IX > AOWL Season 9 archives

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 03:47 PM   #21
Diablo
Badgerdick

Battle Record: 11-2

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Diablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant future

I went to post feedback and the battle is closed, luckily it saved it so I was able to post it up here at least.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:43 PM   #22
Bad Lieutenant
BARS

Battle Record: 2-2

Bad Lieutenant is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the feedback @Diablo
Old 02-12-2021, 03:07 PM   #23
fraze

Battle Record: 14-24

fraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant future

I'm voting today. Can I get some feed too @Diablo lol
Old 02-12-2021, 03:40 PM   #24
Diablo
Badgerdick

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Diablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant future

I got you FAGGOT
Old 02-12-2021, 04:07 PM   #25
Diablo
Badgerdick

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraze View Post
Even now my mind’s still on her. She was from Barcelona
Auburn hair, hazel eyes. Camel by the carton smoker
She had me part and parcel. Dropped me off departing cargo.
This kind of baggage casts a shadow that won’t let my heart go

It skips to hear the beat play. Frozen at the replay
My mind rewinds as memories remix with father time the dj.
Lights shine at night time, hips greet melodies with a slight whine
The whole world seems aglow but that might be the white wine

Streets glistened with a hint of rain. It was the fifth of May.
Maybe two months in, a foreign visitation trip to Spain
Family hosting told me I should see the sights inside the city.
The Basilica was beautiful. But the girl I saw in front was twice as pretty.

Reviewed my notes from Spanish as I tried to ask her name.
But I had slept through every class so I crashed and burned in flames
She laughed and told me she’d been hoping to speak English more
She turned and asked me for my story as the storm began to pour

Forgot that we forgot our umbrellas, as we opened up
Sheltered by the awning of an open karaoke club
She asked if I was thirsty. I said yes, our steps were hurried.
The cloud began to clear just as my mind became a little blurry

She said she’s headed to restroom
Father time adjusts the needle.
Despacito plays while the senoritas dance flamenco
Smiling in the moment. No, I haven’t felt the panic yet.
I look over and she’s smiling. While HIS hand in on her breast.
That haunting melody plays ever slower.
Feel like I’m floating. Is that the floor or ceiling getting closer?

TRASH

TRASH X 2

ABSOLUTE GARBAGE DUMPSTER HEAT

TRASH X 999999
Old 02-12-2021, 04:15 PM   #26
fraze

fraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant future

I'm a little disappointed to be 1 trash shy of TRASH X 1 million

It hurts my feelings tbh. I'll do worse next time.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:31 PM   #27
Diablo
Badgerdick

Champed
- Art of Writing League

lmao nah but for real

I’ve got you after my kid falls asleep

doesn’t look like this week is gonna finish any time soon anyway
Old 02-12-2021, 05:44 PM   #28
Diablo
Badgerdick

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Even now my mind’s still on her. She was from Barcelona
Auburn hair, hazel eyes. Camel by the carton smoker
She had me part and parcel. Dropped me off departing cargo.
This kind of baggage casts a shadow that won’t let my heart go

I’m digging the start, I personally would have made the “minds still on her” a multi off the Barcelona/carton smoker also. I think it would flow better that way, but I’m fine with the opening two lines. There’s a slight bit of imagery to the second but the carton smoker was the best of the bunch to that opening segment - it said what it had to without being so direct. The shadow idea was a cool tie-in to the picture somewhat, I enjoyed that. I think you opened well enough.

It skips to hear the beat play. Frozen at the replay
My mind rewinds as memories remix with father time the dj.

I wasn’t as big a fan of this one with Father Time the DJ in truth, I see entirely why you attempted it as a tie-in to the image on the wall and them partying etc but this particular one felt slightly more of a reach (to me). I’m not knocking it though.

Lights shine at night time, hips greet melodies with a slight whine
The whole world seems aglow but that might be the white wine

Heh. I’m a fan of injecting some comedy and lighthearted moments into these things, it’s a rather under-utilised element to these storytelling leagues IMHO. I see you though.

Streets glistened with a hint of rain. It was the fifth of May.
Maybe two months in, a foreign visitation trip to Spain
Family hosting told me I should see the sights inside the city.
The Basilica was beautiful. But the girl I saw in front was twice as pretty.

The last line was a nice idea, set up well with the Basilica being beautiful, if anything it’s slightly too long (too many syllables) for it to have come off as cleanly as I would have liked - but conceptually that was a nice little back and forth play. You’re showing your punchline-esque experience there.

Reviewed my notes from Spanish as I tried to ask her name.
But I had slept through every class so I crashed and burned in flames
She laughed and told me she’d been hoping to speak English more
She turned and asked me for my story as the storm began to pour

I see the story progression here has shifted your focus somewhat from what proceeded it, the lines before were more showman like and braggodocious - which I liked - this section felt like a change of tact somewhat to bring the storyline back to the fore and focus it more on where it was heading, there’s a definite shift around this moment - good or bad - but this is very different from the lines that proceeded it. It’s almost like you slept on it at that point and decided on another route from your initial train of thought.

Forgot that we forgot our umbrellas, as we opened up
Sheltered by the awning of an open karaoke club
She asked if I was thirsty. I said yes, our steps were hurried.
The cloud began to clear just as my mind became a little blurry

This is more of the same here, I see the attempt at pushing the story along but you’ve lost that initial finesse and added flourish that you started with here. It’s not bad, just noticeably different in its execution and how it’s delivered from those opening lines. There’s no more clever plays, the comedies gone, the punchline-esque quality I was enjoying has dissipated somewhat. It’s not bad, don’t get me wrong, it’s just different. Way different.

She said she’s headed to restroom
Father time adjusts the needle.
Despacito plays while the senoritas dance flamenco

Cool.

Smiling in the moment. No, I haven’t felt the panic yet.
I look over and she’s smiling. While HIS hand in on her breast.
That haunting melody plays ever slower.
Feel like I’m floating. Is that the floor or ceiling getting closer?

I felt this final section was written quickly and rather hurried, it lacked the resolution I would have liked, I was expecting a lot more after the high standard you set the bar at in those opening lines but slowly and surely it’s tapered off until we come to the finale and we’re left with an underwhelming feeling of wanting more - either in the way of resolution of in character development and their personal growth or something between the two. Instead I got neither, really? Maybe with more time you would have fleshed it out further and done more with it. As it stands, it lacked something, a lot of something, but that’s largely to do with the entire final third etc where you may have rushed to get you’re in before the deadline that was fast approaching.

It’s all love.

Much respect.
@fraze
Old 02-12-2021, 09:51 PM   #29
Adverse
low tide in serotonin bay

Battle Record: 37-28

Champed
- GWL Picture Challenge
- Guerrilla Writing League
- Black August II

Adverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant future

Like the prospect of the video votes @Master Rock that’s pretty cool man.

Hoping to get this wrapped up by Monday, start this last week of the regular season.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:49 PM   #30
Master Rock
Steadily Lurking

Battle Record: 7-7

Champed
- Netcees Writers League

Master Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant future

Ya'll lagging behind on these votes..what's good!?!?

https://www.instagram.com/master_rock1/
https://www.youtube.com/graphicalmindz
Old 02-14-2021, 01:08 AM   #31
fraze

Co-sign on the video votes. Slow voting is nothing new.

Sorry ending is confusing, ran out of time before deadline. I'm about 2-6 lines short of completing the story arc. The pieces are there but didn't get to pull it together like I wanted. If anyone cares I can explain the ending after voting closes.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:39 PM   #32
Master Rock
Steadily Lurking

Champed
- Netcees Writers League

Master Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraze View Post
ran out of time before deadline.
The pieces are there but didn't get to pull it together like I wanted.
I definitely understand. I wrote this last minute, I had an idea on what I wanted to write and waited way too late to drop and rushed it. No proofreading at all, I just wanted to go to sleep. Posted and read it the next day like... ughh!!!!

Old 02-15-2021, 12:25 PM   #33
Adverse

Champed
- GWL Picture Challenge
- Black August II

Adverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant future

If no one votes by the end of the day I’ll be closing threads keep in mind there’s one vote on the fucking champ match
Old 02-15-2021, 02:17 PM   #34
sral
Shrewd as evearthed

Battle Record: 28-3

Champed
- Gimmick Battle League
- The Winter Topical
- Topical Martyrs
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- Lyric Olympics
- Art of Writing League
- Guerrilla Writing League (2x)
- Black August II

sral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond repute

Ridiculous.

I did my part.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:11 PM   #35
Adverse

Champed
- GWL Picture Challenge
- Black August II

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraL View Post
Ridiculous.

I did my part.
Word I know I’ll drop votes tonight and close them tomorrow morning or tonight. I doubt we’ll have any other voters past me
Old 02-15-2021, 09:14 PM   #36
fraze

Could use some help with voting guys. I know everybody is busy and voting isn't really fun most of the time. But we're almost done with the season, and still at risk of things falling apart from lack of participation.

There are only 3 battles this week, 2 votes isn't a lot to ask. If you enjoy dropping verses and getting feed from other writers please help finish this thing out strong.

@Bad Lieutenant
@brokenhal0
@Objective
@Pharaohs Army
Old 02-15-2021, 09:17 PM   #37
Objective
( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

Battle Record: 17-32

Objective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant future

I'll vote in a couple hours or so and sign out. No need for me to apologise for shitty behaviour, there's no excuse for this kind of bs. Next time I sign up for one of these things I'll make sure that I can follow through as well

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV8ozGcGJ6o
Old 02-15-2021, 10:00 PM   #38
Adverse

Champed
- GWL Picture Challenge
- Black August II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective View Post
I'll vote in a couple hours or so and sign out. No need for me to apologise for shitty behaviour, there's no excuse for this kind of bs. Next time I sign up for one of these things I'll make sure that I can follow through as well
Your activity is great man I don’t want you signing out just because you’re unavailable to vote. Playoffs starting in two weeks man it’s not your failure to vote it’s the league as a whole failing to vote. Please make sure you vote on the champ match and break the tie
Old 02-15-2021, 10:05 PM   #39
Master Rock
Steadily Lurking

Champed
- Netcees Writers League

Yo, we ned a tie-breaker vote on the D Vs. Fraze battle!
http://www.netcees.org/showthread.php?t=147017

Old 02-15-2021, 11:57 PM   #40
Objective
( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

Battle Record: 17-32

Objective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant future

Voting now

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV8ozGcGJ6o
Closed Thread