Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Forum > Discussion Board

User Tag List

Old 01-07-2019, 10:22 AM   #1
Ghost1

Battle Record: 0-1

Ghost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant future
Default 52 books 2020 challenge

[youtube]tLDQPgUH6yo[/youtube] [youtube]IuYmhJUeoBE[/youtube]

Rules*-
-You must post the name of the book you're reading/ have recently finished.
-You may post quotes from your books here, discuss them with others. You may also review the books if you wish, rate them, etc.
-Participation is NOT mandatory. You may pop in whenever you wish.
-Please keep your contribution clean and respect other members.
-Feel free to post your goals for this challenge, along with the purpose; Why are you participating? What do you want to get out of this?
-Feel free to use this thread as your reading log. Read something throughout the day, write about it here.

Thread Etiquette <======= IMPORTANT
-If you're going to post pictures of books/ anything else, resize it so it doesn't stretch the page. Use www.imgur.com to resize your image before posting.
-Please no soliciting in this thread. This means posting affiliate links to books. If you're a misc author brah you're welcome to drop by but no spamming.

Tools-
-To track books you're reading/ have read, you may want to use:

http://www.goodreads.com/
http://www.librarything.com/
http://www.shelfari.com/

Upon completion of the challenge**
-Improved vocabulary
-Increased knowledge
-Improved analytical and critical thinking skills.

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Frequently Asked Questions:

[spoiler]
1. How long is the challenge?
The challenge runs from 1st of January 2019 to 1st of January 2020.
Roughly 52 weeks to finish 52 books with an average of one book per week.

2. What's the purpose of doing this challenge?
General purpose of this challenge is to finish one book/week, and in the process develop the habit of regular reading and increase enjoyment of reading.

My goal/purpose-

3. What type of books are allowed for this challenge?
-ebooks/regular books
-Textbooks (if read in its entirity)
-Comic books/ graphic novels
-Audiobooks

4. Can I read comic books/ graphic novels for the purpose of this challenge?
Yes, but it's not recommended that readers read comic books in bulk to complete the challenge. The rule of thumb is maybe keeping it to 3-5 comic books/ graphic novels per challenge.

5. Will I have to write a review for the books I've been reading?
It's recommended, not mandatory. This year I will try to write reviews for every single book that I finish.

6. How will reading change my life?
Maybe it won't turn your life around 180 degrees (Misc 360 degrees..moonwalk.gif), but it will give you the insight/knowledge/tools to navigate through your life easier (hopefully).

7. My reading level is laughable, how can I 'level up'?
'Levelling up' occurs from being better than your previous self. In the world of books, you can always read books that are more complicated than the previous ones, books that'll make you stop reading and reach for a dictionary/ponder on points.

8. I don't have the time for reading books, is this challenge right for me?
If you're insanely busy, this challenge might seem like a chore and you're better off not doing it. Forcing it would be counter productive. Reading should be a natural act and not a process of self-flagellation...imo.

9. I don't have money to buy books, is this challange right for me?
Not all of us are born rich, so issue of money is a stark reality. Here's the solution: public libraries where they're free and you can even access some of them online. Websites like the following can also prove to be useful:

Scribd (legal source)
[removed previous year's links as midway through the year a mod told us that any links to sites that may contain pirated goodies are not allowed anymore]
Some of these sites might be risky in terms of access and content, so use it at your own discretion

If you're reading classics, they are legally available for free in these places:
www.manybooks.net
www.gutenberg.org/

If you have ereaders- many of their native sites offer free ebooks all the time. Check your ebooks store.

10.I can't concentrate, or sit still and read, is this challenge right for me?
Books might be therapeutic in improving concentration. I'm not aware of any scientific studies but googling might help.

11.Are there any group/groups of people for whom this challenge is not right for?
Some groups of people for whom this challenge might not be optimal / beneficial:
-People who are reading for bragging rights, and who are reading without any comprehension to meet the weekly quota. It's better to read 20 books well than to read 100+ books haphazardly.
-Genuinely busy people.

12.Are their any tricks/ tips of reading 52 books in 52 weeks I should be aware of?
There were several posts in the previous threads regarding speed reading. Search the old thread.
I'm urging all to post useful tips in this thread.

Some suggestions from previous threads:
-Take a book with you wherever you go. Wear ear plugs (headphones more optimal??) in noisy places. (Credit: jreacher)
-Read the right books

[youtube]cVLpdzhcU0g[/youtube]

13. Are there any groups/people I can talk about books, and reading in general?
-Well, this thread comes to mind.
There is a goodreads Misc reading crew that's hardly active-
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/68524-misc-brahs

MISC Reading Suggestions
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/...ng_Suggestions

Librarything might have an online community but I'm unaware.
[/spoiler]

10 benefits of reading

Why Reading Matters
[youtube]QdwFFFBCPzw[/youtube]
(all other parts are on youtube)

How to read 100 books

[spoiler] [/spoiler]

How reading makes your smarter

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Reading habits of highly successful people

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Reading habits around the world

[/QUOTE]
Not saying being drunk doesn’t mess up you reasoning. I’m turning 20 soon so I haven’t had a drink ever.

Last edited by Inno; 02-08-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Ghost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:22 AM   #2
Ghost1

Ghost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant future

@ORC
Not saying being drunk doesn’t mess up you reasoning. I’m turning 20 soon so I haven’t had a drink ever.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:39 AM   #3
~RustyGunZ~
(ง'̀-'́)ง

Battle Record: 52-28

Accomplishments
-50+ wins

Champed
-Summer Classic VIII
-Netcees Battle League
-BA Picture
-BA TagTeam
-Fight Night Cypher I
-Fight Night XXXV
-Key Grand Prix 2018 1/2

~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute

I’m in this year. Going to finally read that Jordan Peterson book everyone is going nuts over first. Steer me towards some others too my man. I like dystopian and post apoc stuff with political overtones and stuff that delves into social psychology
FREE PHAROAHS ARMY
~RustyGunZ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:49 AM   #4
Ghost1

I wouldn't start with his 12 rules book personally, but if its because you just want to see what the fuss is about I guess give it a spin. Its probably my least favorite work from him though its still good. Maps of meaning was a lot more rich.

I don't love post apoc and dystopian narratives much but I will say that Homo Deux book by Yuval Harari is a non fiction book that considers where we are headed in the age of computer technology and I loved it. youd prolly dig that a lot.

I read less social psychology work last year Id have to dig up 2017 list to get you some of those books but the social animal by ron aronson I think it was is one of my favorites

Mcdonaldization of society was another one of my favorites if youre into sociology
Old 01-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #5
~RustyGunZ~
(ง'̀-'́)ง

Battle Record: 52-28

Accomplishments
-50+ wins

Champed
-Summer Classic VIII
-Netcees Battle League
-BA Picture
-BA TagTeam
-Fight Night Cypher I
-Fight Night XXXV
-Key Grand Prix 2018 1/2

~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost1 View Post
I wouldn't start with his 12 rules book personally, but if its because you just want to see what the fuss is about I guess give it a spin. Its probably my least favorite work from him though its still good. Maps of meaning was a lot more rich.

I don't love post apoc and dystopian narratives much but I will say that Homo Deux book by Yuval Harari is a non fiction book that considers where we are headed in the age of computer technology and I loved it. youd prolly dig that a lot.

I read less social psychology work last year Id have to dig up 2017 list to get you some of those books but the social animal by ron aronson I think it was is one of my favorites

Mcdonaldization of society was another one of my favorites if youre into sociology
Word I’ll start with those, I’ll peep the book you mentioned before the 12 rules to get a good baseline for him
FREE PHAROAHS ARMY
~RustyGunZ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #6
Orc
Certified Mother’s Boy

Battle Record: 5-1

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- NBL Season 4
- GBL Season 1
- Lyric Olympics
- Fight Night LXVI
- Fight Night LX
- Fight Night (3x)
- NBL Picture Roast
- Netcees Battle League (8x)
- NBL Picture League
- Gimmick Battle League
- BA Tag Team
- 1-2 Punch League
- NBL Cypher (3x)
- Battle Arena League
- OM HOF (2x)

Orc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond repute

My mannn, stickied

So far:

1) Jordan Peterson - 12 rules for life (5/5)
2) The Dubliners - James Joyce (currently reading)
Orc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:23 AM   #7
Diode
PR's Finest

Battle Record: 12-7

Diode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond repute

I really like the idea of this.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:56 AM   #8
Ghost1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode View Post
I really like the idea of this.
this will be my third year and honestly any praise I could give this wouldn't do it justice to how much my life has improved since.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #9
Ghost1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORC View Post
My mannn, stickied

So far:

1) Jordan Peterson - 12 rules for life (5/5)
2) The Dubliners - James Joyce (currently reading)
YO finishing up this English literature class I took for the winter semester and one of the reading assignments was Araby by Joyce which I understand is one of the chapters in Dubliners and we had to analyze the symbolism in the narrative. pretty cool class especially if you like to read. Ill never read a book or watch a movie the same again in my life honestly.

but yea Joyce is dope...I hope Ireland isn't still as depressing as it was in his day for your sake LOL
Old 01-07-2019, 12:22 PM   #10
uh-oh
DA GOD

Battle Record: 1-0

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

1. Permanently Suspended - Anthony Cumia (2/5)
2. Fire and Blood - George RR Martin (currently slogging through)

Had a 50 dollar gift card to barnes and noble and didnt know what to get. Got the Cumia book to support cuz hes a top tier radio turned podcast guy. Book blows. Its a guinea tin knocker autobiography about how he was a piece of trash from long island who caught a break and was funny on radio and went on to earn millions with opie and anthony. All the good stories he already told on radio and podcasts tho with funnier people interjecting etc. So it sucked.

The george martin book is a boring history of westeros about the targaryan kings before anyone in the game of thrones books aka all that anyone cares about anyways

But i already have the other big illustrated companion book about the world of ice and fire so i figured id grab that too
Old 01-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #11
Diode
PR's Finest

Battle Record: 12-7

Diode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
this will be my third year and honestly any praise I could give this wouldn't do it justice to how much my life has improved since.
yeah shortly after this post my kid got sent home with yet another fever so i mean you know how it is
Old 01-07-2019, 01:05 PM   #12
Orc
Certified Mother’s Boy

Battle Record: 5-1

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- NBL Season 4
- GBL Season 1
- Lyric Olympics
- Fight Night LXVI
- Fight Night LX
- Fight Night (3x)
- NBL Picture Roast
- Netcees Battle League (8x)
- NBL Picture League
- Gimmick Battle League
- BA Tag Team
- 1-2 Punch League
- NBL Cypher (3x)
- Battle Arena League
- OM HOF (2x)

Orc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond reputeOrc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
YO finishing up this English literature class I took for the winter semester and one of the reading assignments was Araby by Joyce which I understand is one of the chapters in Dubliners and we had to analyze the symbolism in the narrative. pretty cool class especially if you like to read. Ill never read a book or watch a movie the same again in my life honestly.

but yea Joyce is dope...I hope Ireland isn't still as depressing as it was in his day for your sake LOL
That’s dope man, sounds interesting. I’d love to do something like that. Or creative writing part time even.

I’ve never read a lot of the “classics” and I’m from Dublin so I said fuck it let’s get depressed. I’m going to read Ulysses next. There’s something really gratifying about reading about Dublin man. It’s been through a lot as a city, there’s still bulletholes in a lot of famous landmarks from the Rebellion. It’s not as bad now haha.

One I would recommend for your list which is centered around Dublin is “The Hearts Invisible Furies” - John Boyne. Same guy who wrote The Boy in the striped pajamas. I didn’t even know he was Irish until I started reading it. Really wonderfully written, very witty, typical Irish dark humour. I’d give it 5/5 for sure.

Here’s a goodreads link:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33253215
Orc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:00 PM   #13
Ghost1

word ill definitely peep sometime this year. The first year I did this I read a fair amount of classics...theyre classic for a reason but word I like to read more modern stuff these days...now and then ill opt for a classic though

an word that's wild about Dublin...definitely best time to indulge in depressing work is when youre happiest lol
Old 01-07-2019, 02:01 PM   #14
Ghost1

Quote:
yeah shortly after this post my kid got sent home with yet another fever so i mean you know how it is
for sure I do. ull find the time though if u want to
Old 01-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #15
Ghost1

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh-oh View Post
1. Permanently Suspended - Anthony Cumia (2/5)
2. Fire and Blood - George RR Martin (currently slogging through)

Had a 50 dollar gift card to barnes and noble and didnt know what to get. Got the Cumia book to support cuz hes a top tier radio turned podcast guy. Book blows. Its a guinea tin knocker autobiography about how he was a piece of trash from long island who caught a break and was funny on radio and went on to earn millions with opie and anthony. All the good stories he already told on radio and podcasts tho with funnier people interjecting etc. So it sucked.

The george martin book is a boring history of westeros about the targaryan kings before anyone in the game of thrones books aka all that anyone cares about anyways

But i already have the other big illustrated companion book about the world of ice and fire so i figured id grab that too
word these sound shitty thanks lmao
Old 01-07-2019, 03:04 PM   #16
Amen
As-salamu alaykum!

Battle Record: 19-8

Champed
- 1-2 Punch League Season 6

Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen

Quote:
Audio Books.

No one reads anymore, they listen.

Could be done whenever and 100% more convenient. I mostly listen on my rides to and from work.
Amen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:16 PM   #17
Inno
Ad mini tator

Battle Record: 26-54

Champed
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Inno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t think I can do a book a week as I don’t have the time to sit every day and read but I’ll give it a try, got 25 books to read in my goodreads challenge so if I get to that, atleast I’d of made some progress. I think I read 15-18 books last year. And that’s me slacking off so I know I could do better.

1. Christopher Paolini- Brisingr (#3 Inheritance Cycle) -40% done
Inno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #18
veritas
HALL OF FAME

Battle Record: 3-5

veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas

I am thinking about reading less books but reading each two or three times.

But for now:

1. Robert Greene - Laws of Human Nature
Reading Ray Dalio - Principles
Albert Camus - the plague
The cerebral assassin, the molder of minds, the Omni potent being. Time transcending traveler, wisdom incarnate. Veritas needs no intro but I guess I have to. He’s not know in the battling world but who doesn’t know veritas? The guy us always original and if you pay attention to his bars, dude brings the heat.. The gawd.

Last edited by veritas; 01-08-2019 at 04:05 PM.
veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:59 AM   #19
Ghost1

1. Miracles by C.S. Lewis (4/5)
2. Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis (3.5/5)
Old 01-16-2019, 01:34 PM   #20
BodySnatcher
Hail Mary Haymakers

Battle Record: 17-7

Champed
- BAL Roast
- Battle Arena League
- BAL Season Champ

BodySnatcher has a brilliant futureBodySnatcher has a brilliant futureBodySnatcher has a brilliant futureBodySnatcher has a brilliant futureBodySnatcher has a brilliant futureBodySnatcher has a brilliant futureBodySnatcher has a brilliant futureBodySnatcher has a brilliant futureBodySnatcher has a brilliant futureBodySnatcher has a brilliant futureBodySnatcher has a brilliant future

Listening to The Magicians by Lev Grossman Book 1. Maybe halfway through, it's kind of slow and somewhat different than the show.
Finished the year reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Which was fucking excellent and addictive. Dunno why it took me so long to read.
BodySnatcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b o o k, bags is an intellectual, his daughter is not