Go Back   Netcees > Forum > Open Mic Section

User Tag List

Old 07-02-2023, 08:37 AM   #1
Diablo
Badgerdick

Battle Record: 11-2

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Diablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant future
Exclamation GUERRILLA WRITING LEAGUE - WEEK ONE MAGAZINE!

GUERRILLA WRITING LEAGUE
WEEK ONE MAGAZINE!

If you’re here, thank you for your time.
I appreciate you.

Welcome to the Guerrilla Writing League magazine — a platform for those still invested in helping keep the culture alive. This is the second incarnation of the GWL - a league formed for the writers, by a writer himself, one wanting to wake sleeping giants from their slumber to see them stand tall once more.

Do you have what it takes to be crowned head and shoulders above the rest?

Can you solidify your spot with guerrilla’s to become king of the jungle?

Yes, I’m aware a guerrilla and a gorilla are two different things, but we’re allowing for some degree of poetic licence here at least.
Don’t take me too seriously!

It would have been easier to not provide you guys with a magazine, some might have thought with the roster being so small that it simply wasn’t required, but if we’re going to raise interest and try to keep people writing on the platform we need them to see there’s some dedicated to still doing this. We aren’t suddenly going to start doing less, that’s what helped lead to the problem in the first place. Instead we’re going to do more. We’re going to go harder. Were going to strive for better. I’ll vote on the battles myself with in-depth breakdowns, I’ll attempt to pick topics that I believe will interest both competitors and not just lazily select whichever image or .gif I happen to come across first and assign it.
I want to keep the line limits low.
If we build it, they will come.
I had said initially even if we had just two people signup I would run this for them.
We had four, and within the hour I had assigned battles and set threads.
You have my word I will stick with this for as long as we have people signed in.

Battler Bios

This week we’re rolling with the sign-ups that beat their chests the loudest (read: quickest) when sign-ups were announced for Week 1. We had worldwide interest! (Well, the United States and Australia at least) and so here we have it — four gargantuan beasts looking to beat the living shit out of each other. Was that too much like the wrestling themed AOWL mags? If so, forget it. This section will likely become the “Power Rankings” from next week and onwards, but since we’re only in our infancy, let’s talk a little about the cheeky monkeys that we have involved…

#1: Master Rock

Rock has been a staple of the Netcees topical scene for a good amount of years now, consistently signing in and showing up and I can’t fault him for that sort of dedication to the craft. He was the first person to state he wanted involvement in this, and I give him his credit where he’s due, he seems motivated. Real motivated of late. He was power ranked right at #3 in the recent Art Of Writing League (R.I.P?) with a 7-2 season record, and he was also over at RapBattles recently where he likely won the War of Words write-off held by Nohbody. If you sleep on Master Rock, he will beat you. I think he’s constantly overlooked but he has been in solid form recently and if it holds true that you’re only as good as your last battle - well, his last battle was against me for the AOWL Championship and then he likely won the War of Words (that I also competed in) in back-to-back weeks. Whether you think he’s top tier of not personally, he’s been competing at that top table in recent weeks and if nothing more you only learn how to cope with those situations through the experience you gain by competing in them consistently. Right now he’s been doing that. If you sleep on him, you could well find yourself on the wrong end of a loss. It’s that simple.

#2: Scar

I’ve known of Scar for a few years now, mainly from watching The Lion King, but apparently he’s originally from outside Netcees at a (now-defunct) website by the name of Rap-Royalty. In my mind I guess I still have Scar pinned as some sort of up-and-comer as he’s a relatively newer face to me (Hey, I’ve done this the best part of 20 years, all of you are new to me) despite the fact he has been around likely 5 years or more by this point. The guy has also had his share of opportunities to mix it up with the big dogs, throwing down with the likes of Adverse and Universe over in the AOWL as well as competing in the GSL over at his homesite prior to coming here. There may be some heads that would simply dismiss Rap-Royalty offhand, but it had a few handfuls of talent of its own that would be welcomed just about anywhere. Scar is one of those guys. Perhaps his writing was a little less honed when I first came across him, but in terms of raw talent that could be refined over time he certainly has something. I think he’s a great matchup for Rock here, but I’ll save the reasoning on why for their battle preview a little later on…

#3: Dominate

Can text battlers write topicals? Well, while it’s somewhat an infrequent sight to see, it’s certainly not unprecedented. Dominate is a battle-scarred veteran of the text side of the site for sure with many years (and wins) under his upside down belt… he isn’t new to the topical side though. He’s competed in the Art of Writing League in recent seasons and he’s shown he’s more than capable of tangling at the top. The wording is crisp, as you may expect from a text battler, but he’s also well balanced in terms of mixing it up with the technical aspects such as rhyme scheme and multi stacking, coupled with the fact he has a strong writers voice — which is often understated so far as technical merit goes - but this guy gets it. If there is a predominant text battler here that could enter the topical realm and potentially champ, you’re probably reading about him right now. Which arguably doesn’t fare well for his text battle tag team partner who is also signed in this week!

#4: Aero

Last, but by no means tall, we have Aero! The other half of Dominate’s tag team and serial penny stock investor. I hope he liked the topic selected this week because I did try to put some thought into it and offer up something I felt he could get behind. Aero isn’t entirely new to writing topical stories, and he is predominantly a text battler, but I do remember him having wrote at least one before and it was entertaining as fuck. I figured the added impetus of facing Dominate, the legend of IHH, as well as handing him a topic based on an interest he has outside of here may help bring the best out of him. I hope it does because when he finds form he can be REALLY good. What he lacks in experience in this area he makes up for in pure entertainment — and that can be a massive factor lacking sometimes in overly emotional topical pieces. They can be comedic and lighthearted too when they’re done right. I think we will definitely see that from Aero if he continues to stay signed in.

Battle Previews

@Master Rock vs @Scar: We have two guys here that will know what it takes to win. In Rock we have a guy showing his determination, he’s been on a roll recently both in the AOWL and even carried that over to the War of Words writing challenge over at RapBattles. Will Scar put an end to that streak? I won’t lie, it’s possible, Scar had taken part in the AOWL earlier in its on-going season and racked up wins before he grew tired of the forced sign-ins and whatnot and dipped for a short while. I don’t think he has wrote competitively during that downtime, which has been a couple of weeks now, so I imagine he will be shaking off some rust this week but I still have this one as a relatively close battle in my mind even taking into consideration Master Rock’s recent successes.

@Dominate vs @Aero: This one could make for a good friendly fire type of battle if both show up. I’ve tried to give Aero as much inspiration as I could here, from the opponent to the topic selection itself, and I really hope he comes through with something even if it’s just for old times sake between him and his buddy. I know Dominate won’t roll over without a fight, he always shows up and shows out and I can’t imagine this one will be any different for him. It’s just what he does. Either way I think we’ll find ourselves with an entertaining battle between two old hands and a potential BOTW going down here. It could be one for the ages. I’ll be reading and voting for sure.

LMAO’s and WTF’s Of The Week

LMAO @ Dominate vs Aero for Week 1? Crazy
WTF @ topicals still existing in 2023
LMAO @ Frank doing my dirty by setting up AOWL threads the same day
WTF @ him still expecting people to show up?
LMAO @ This mag being so long with only 4 battlers
WTF @ Master Rock being robbed at RB? He should have won
LMAO @ Scar resurfacing only once every 9 months
WTF @ Aero signing up to a topical battle for the first time in memory
LMAO @ Grown men still watching wrestling. Shots fired.

Last edited by Diablo; 07-02-2023 at 08:42 AM.
Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 01:07 PM   #2
Dope girl

Battle Record: 3-8

Dope girl has a brilliant futureDope girl has a brilliant futureDope girl has a brilliant futureDope girl has a brilliant futureDope girl has a brilliant futureDope girl has a brilliant futureDope girl has a brilliant futureDope girl has a brilliant futureDope girl has a brilliant futureDope girl has a brilliant futureDope girl has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Dope girl Send a message via Yahoo to Dope girl Send a message via Skype™ to Dope girl

MR can beat Scar
Dom Can beat Aero
Dope girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 06:41 PM   #3
Dominate
Tread Lightly.

Battle Record: 26-9

Champed
- Netcees Battle League
- Battle Arena
- Tag Team Tournament III
- Tag Tournament: "Omicron Variant"

Dominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant future

Dope.

Did not expect a mag at all, let alone a good one.

Thanks Lars.

Lmao @ last but by no means tall
Old 07-02-2023, 08:49 PM   #4
Frank

Champed
- NWL Season 2
- Art of Writing League (5x)
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- AOWL Season 6
- AOWL Season 10

Frank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant future
Exclamation

Old 07-03-2023, 01:46 AM   #5
Diablo
Badgerdick

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Diablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant future

I still love you, Frank. <3
Old 07-04-2023, 12:39 AM   #6
Aero
GOAT

Battle Record: 14-17

Champed
- Site Diss Competition
- Tag Tournament III
- Lyric Olympics

Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero

Lol this is much appreciated. I do like the topic. I was lowkey looking for a picture that would push me out my comfort zone but I can make this work. I'll put a unique twist on this and write like an actual AOWL writer and use words like melancholy.

Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 01:38 AM   #7
Diablo
Badgerdick

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Fuck the Australian’s threat
Make the block hot and cook a borough like his favourite pet
Old 07-04-2023, 02:12 AM   #8
Scar

Battle Record: 7-5

Champed
- Guerrilla Writing League

Scar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant futureScar has a brilliant future

very nice lars. i'm hoping i can take this more serious than frankie's debacle. looks good so far.
Old 07-04-2023, 09:48 AM   #9
Dominate
Tread Lightly.

Battle Record: 26-9

Champed
- Netcees Battle League
- Battle Arena
- Tag Team Tournament III

Dominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
Fuck the Australian’s threat
Make the block hot and cook a borough like his favourite
pet
My pets are dope as fuck and more than a bit exotic
But when I say I gotta cock a .22 that’s a totally different topic