Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Vault > Archives > The Netcees archive > AOWL Season 6 Archive

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2016, 12:20 AM   #1
asylum

Battle Record: 7-5

asylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant future
Default AOWL Season 6 Magazine: Week 6 Edition

Season 6 Magazine Week 6 Edition

Introduction

Well, we had some great predictions lined up but a computer crash and a few other technical difficulties messed up this week’s mag. Next week will be a full edition, once again.

No Show Shine

Echo vs Timeless

Timeless delivered an absolutely tragic tale. I gave them a terrible picture for a reason, both opponents in this match were capable of delivering the emotion necessary to hit it well. Timeless dropped a little short of his true capacity, but in all reality his verse was gold from beginning to end. His tone was extremely topical and avoided a storyline approach. Honestly I commend him for it. His tone conveyed his disdain for the status quo commonly accepted in today’s society. I completely agree with the angle he presented. Timeless is one of the most slept on authors among us, in case you didn’t know..

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeless
“Chain the worthless to the walls, they're all parasites and pariahs.
Fame with curtains drawn, end of times, pharaohs fight the messiahs.
By death we are accompanied to our arranged destination.
No fault of our own, just another kink in the chain of civilization.”
Do you all realize the strength of the point Timeless made with this couplet? Truly? Think about it for a while, let it absorb into your consciousness. Will we ever truly understand the bloodshed idealism unleashes upon our fellow man? Only Timeless can tell..

Artifice vs Breathless

I underestimated Artifice at first because I wasn’t familiar with his work. So, I dove into this verse not expecting his degree of topical prowess. His picture presented an open trail, with a rough figure before the tracks ahead of him. It had a distinctly western feel to it and he took that angle appropriately. His hero braved a hard trail to bring justice to the villain who murdered a woman he cared for, and eventually he found him in a confrontational scene I doubt few could execute as well as his was. The description of the tale was vivid, palatable, and believable. Like here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by artifice
atop mountainous regions my feet are calloused & bleedin'
had to abandon my steed... too much of a challenge to feed him
failed to remain on track, walkin' on rubble & rock
tracks attract train robbers, too many problems, troublesome spots
Presenting hardships faced by someone in a battle situation in this time period, Artifice’s period piece is a work of quality craftsmanship. His nonchalant tone added a point or two to the overall execution of the western approach he took. Lastly, his last stanza needed some work but that’s just my opinion. Great work, Artifice. You are truly one of us and I appreciate your time and effort. Focus on your final bars next week and your work will profit immensely.

Pinot Grij vs Innovator

@Pinot Grij is one of our most talented authors and he was no showed multiple times this season. I don’t blame him for it.. but I truly am disappointed he no showed the one person I knew, in my heart, would show. That’s why I put these two against one another. Anyway, Innovator went off a picture of a fat chick on a bike making sparks fly off of it.. and he took a rather simple storyline approach. This bar summed up the tone he went with,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator
“Now nothing is made here and the immigrants take jobs
While the blacks influence my kids with that stupid hiphops.”
The first stanza was from the viewpoint of the guy driving the bike, and the second was from the viewpoint of the larger women riding on the back of it. Honestly this felt key styled to me but this was Inno’s first verse back and I appreciate your effort brother. The ice breaker is always the most difficult and I know you are capable of much more. Still, thank you for your time and effort. Bring it this week.

Battle Reviews

Jesodist vs. Vividlyvague
Jes and VV battled to a picture of a young child likely approaching his father leaving for battle in a long line of soldiers. Honestly, that was the center of this picture. That’s why VV took this 4-2. Although Jesodist brings some truly oldschool flair, he didn’t really focus on the picture besides the fact there were soldiers in it. Besides that, he just did his own thing and he DID kill it. No pun intended. I’m not even mad! VV on the other hand, created a storyline from the picture he was presented with. That’s how most victorious competitors approach picture battles, @JESODIST. VV did an excellent job of portraying the viewpoint of the child in this photograph. He outlined the hardships faced by family members of soldiers who lived with their fathers after they came back from war. In fact, he explored the subject in detail and I’m sure this piece would hit home to millions of people if he were to share it with them. The truth is, Jesodist is going to do his thing and do it well every time. Gotta love his style..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesodist
Waves of fire resembled the Enterance of a Dragons Nest,
Riddled with blood bones and Mangled Flesh,
All other Families were Saddened with Cries,
Under Fleets of fighter jets that Darkened the Skies
Jes’s horrorcore bars are unrivaled. I mean, who doesn’t want this style to come back? A lot of you maybe.. but I like it. A lot of us do, that’s why Jesodist gets votes! Problem is bars like this just killed it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by vividlyvague
When Dad returned, he was even more silent still.
Was it me? I tried desperately to join the divide I feel.
I would follow him to town events and mock his mannerisms.
Watch him fight introversion to greet those that paid troops a visit.
Out of respect for those I know, all I’m going to say is our soldiers do come back a little more quiet. Honestly, you feel like it’s your fault and you just want to reach out to them. Make them feel better and take away all their pain but there is nothing you can do about it because that’s just how it is. Soldiers with PTSD find comfort among those who have gone through what they have gone through. It’s a proven fact. This quote, and the pieces entirety was an absolute masterpiece and deserved the victory for a few different reasons. I for one enjoyed both, and thank both of you for your immaculate topical work.

Frank vs. Razah

I wasn’t sure how I felt about making their topic a picture of a dead dog, but I felt the need to for some reason. I’m not sure Razah got into it but that’s why I gave him the picture, I’ll elaborate later. Frank did, but frankly, Frank will be Frank. Razah’s piece was brief and in my opinion not up to par with his usual work. However, there were moments when his unrivaled knack for relating emotion shone through,

Quote:
Originally Posted by razah
The bond that we built was amazingly real
I buried friends that never led to the pain that I feel
A belly rub brought hope figured it's a part of your coat
I was your teacher at times but you taught me the most
That was such a powerful couplet. I got into this piece really quick, but I was let down in the end. He didn’t follow through but honestly I don’t blame him. I love dogs too. I respect you for that and will mind your disposition in further battles but you truly need to distance yourself from the topic before you. Create a world apart from yourself. Only then will you overcome your own dispositions and harness your full potential to explore universes of your own creation. Frank started this piece with great plot advancement with his usual double line posts. In reality, he’s posting double what his opponents usually do. Anybody going against him should know he’ll post 96 lines worth of material in a 48 line space. Frank’s intro and outro were absolutely immaculate and the emotion displayed by his words captured the essence of his picture. I loved every last word of the piece, but this couplet stuck out to me,

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank
Stifling smoke stagnantly sweeps around to the sound of fires crackling seethe
A gamut of debris, teeth chattering impact staggering knees, shattering balance with ease
After the sequence of explosions gradually cease, the smoke clears to a catastrophe
Fragments of people scatter the street, savagely: sad to see like a damaging dream
If you all didn’t read this before, I certainly hope you read it now in context with the entire piece. We all know Frank is a beast, and will write some great material. Yet, I will remember lines like this in my darkest moments. When I need to reach out and explore emotion in a piece of my own, this degree of writing’s presence in my memory bank allows me to further my own material. I for one, appreciate you @Frank. Great work from both, but definitely a one sided battle due to the difference in content volume.

Symetrik vs. 2tripple0

2k, I’m pretty mad at your approach this week. I’m not quoting any of this piece because none of it was on topic. I’m sorry but you need to change your approach. Symetrik is a cool cat, his approach was a true tear jerker. I interpreted this piece as a soldier turning his custody of his daughter over to a fellow soldier before his passing after being mortally wounded. It was truly emotional near the end, but his storyline could have used further development. This couplet was my favorite..

Quote:
Originally Posted by symetrik
it still hurts in liftoff. safety check. touchdown, and taxi.
I don't know what I wanted when we got home… but this… this was the last thing.
his brother stood solid. oak, like his niece. she noticed me but never spoke.
you know that moment when you refuse to cry, and it burns your throat?
Symetrik’s great at capturing emotion and the piece worked as a whole. I don’t like line breaks, but these were good. The entire piece was good. His staccato delivery had an impact I’ve experienced before and appreciate. He reminds me of a novice Timeless and I think he might have a few tricks up his sleeve to be pulled out later in the season.

Just Write vs. Mr. J

These guys wrote to a picture of a firefighter giving a drink of water to a koala this week and they both dropped absolute gold. Their approaches paired perfectly, with Just Write telling the story of one of the researchers who started the fire and Mr. J giving a vivid description of the battle to put it out. I believe both authors did some research on the picture and if this wasn’t on purpose I would be surprised. JW excelled with his flow, with his trademark smooth narrative leading the way for his piece. These lines of JW’s spoke out to me the most because of their implications to his storyline,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Write
I don't know if they felt our presence, if so they didn't seem to mind
We walked through maybe twenty of them, most didn't even climb
They just sat there with a curious look in their eyes, examining us
It was like the more we were there, the more we gathered their trust.
His description of the scene was very palatable, and almost made you want to go “aww.” Then an accident happens, and the crew who went to the scene to help the koalas wound up destroying their home. I fed on his emotional tone throughout and in the end, felt a lot of feels for that little koala. Mr. J wrote with an unusual tone, finishing many line’s rhyme schemes in the following lines. I’m pretty sure he did a little TOO much research and tried to fit a lot of facts into his piece, and that probably cost him the V this week. Where Mr. J was very descriptive, Just Write was both descriptive and emotional. Great work from both competitors. Thank you both.

Interview

Symetrik

Asylum

If you could watch any of the two writers in the league have a drunken boxing match, who would it be?
Haha that's a great question. I would probably want to watch Adonis and NYCSPITZ go it. The humble vs the not so humble. How about you? Was this a loaded question? Are we starting a fight cl... wait. nevermind.

Who do you think people should pay the most attention to in the league, and likewise, the least?

In all honesty, I simply can not point to one individual as who to pay attention to. We have so much talent in our ranks, I advise you to keep your eyes wide open. Don't blink, you might miss the best piece you've ever read before in your life. I've been paying careful attention to our pieces that were noshowed so people go back and read them for a reason. It's a good thing to be in the habit of doing.

If you could magically force one of the people in the league to only ever write in a different language, what language would you choose (not trying to fuck them over, just HAD to switch their language)

That's probably the strangest question I've seen in an interview. I would make trump speak only in Spanish, just for the lulz. but in the AOWL? I would probably make 2k speak Italian. Everything sounds amazing in Italian.

If YOU had to write in a different language (totally magically understood how to), which language would you choose?

I would definitely rap in Latin to make Braveheart’s uncle proud. This, he will not have to remedy.

If you went blind, but had someone (or a program) that could read posts to you, do you think you'd still manage AOWL? Are you confident enough in your typing abilities?
I’m sure theoretically it would be possible, there’s lots of software available for this with the blind to assist them in navigating technology. I am an extremely capable typist and that wouldn’t be the problem. The sheer volume of work involved with this leagues coordination and the extra time taken to navigate the site would most likely get me banned from being moderator within a week. However, ANYTHING is possible if you set your mind to it.

What's the most interesting conflict you've had to resolve in AOWL in your time of managing?

The most perplexing, or if you will, interesting, aspect I’ve faced as moderator so far is appropriately picking users for matches and their subsequent topics. Our subculture is unique, indeed. The mind is a fascinating thing. Orchestrating how all of ours will interact is interesting, indeed.

if you could have someone else write the mag for you so you can take a break, who would you choose?

I would definitely pick @Frank, his degree of passion and dedication to this league would be an invaluable asset. Although, if I had to bring back one section written by the original column creator, I would go with Certain's corner. Great final question!

Writers Block

timeless
symetrik

Let's start this off easy, where you from? How long you been writing? Etc. Let's get to know symetrik.

From the sunny Californian beaches, bruh. Been writing 15 years off and on with very little seriousness, but that's why I'm here. How about yourself, where are you from? What's your favourite colour to write about?

From the sunny southern new jersey beaches, son. Been writing for too damn long but i dont mind it. I usually try to write and find solutions to many problems in life. Idk why but it just usually ends up that way. What's your favorite sex position to write about?

reverse cowgirl. "I write about what I know" wait... do you actually pronounce it "joyzee"? HOLD ON are there even beaches there? I don't know geography. what's your favourite topic been so far in this season of AOWL (not necessarily yours)?

Lol nah fuck no joyzee is for the north Jersey Guido fucks. And yeah man Jersey has a few of the best beaches in the country. The stretch ftom ocean city to cape may point is dope. Long Beach island mystic island etc etc. I honestly think all the topics have been dope, asylums doing a good job of keeping us all entertained, at least me anyways. Im always siked to see quotes and song titles. Where do u get your motivation/inspiration from to craft that style of yours so smoothly?

if I didn't forget sunblock so much I'd go to the beach more... Yeah topics have definitely been good.whatever my inspiration is, it's subconscious. I like flow. just trying to make something identifiable. what do you think inspires you?speaking of inspiring, y'all shoulda seen some of the girls at the gym today. phew :'3

Like you said, I like to see where the words take me 90% of the time unless there's a definite route I'm feeling at the moment. I always tend to write to my opponents strength a lot to see if I can beat them at their own game. Do you let your opponent affect your writing or do you just let it flow?

I just let it flow. I'm not too familiar with these new names on here, I participated in season 2 then dropped out until now. I think as I read things I learn new things without realizing and maybe incorporate some. I just do whatever the piece wants. then if I have time, I reread and rewrite like seven times.i just accidentally hypnotized myself earlier, off topic. no one was home -.-

How the fuck does that happen? Was it intentional lol

i was looking into NLP stuff and started playing with it. goofed. ever been hypnotized?

Nah never I'm good on that lol. Not that I'm scared but I enjoy having control of myself. I've never even blacked out or fainted before. Well, drunk yeah who hasn't? Anyways lol I think asylum wants us to talk about our writing, uhmmmn yo how come everyone thinks that long verses are essential to winning unless Cimmerian is around?

bruh have you seen my verses? I got no qualms about short and sweet. how I like my ladies ;) long verses do have a nice feel to them, I'll be fair. they can touch on shit longer, pull the reader in more but... I'm about figuring out how to do that in short concise little pieces. I love that. "longer isn't better". ayyy. if I could write a 4 line piece I fucking would. I respect the commitment that has to go into 64 lines though. I can't do it. do you remember the first thing you wrote?

I def don't remember the first rhymes I wrote, lost about 10-15 notebooks full of shit when I moved ten years ago or so. I do remember writing goosebumps ripoffs when I was around 8 or 9, reloading the paper and all on my grandma's old typewriter. What about you?

I don't remember shit I said to people yesterday man. ain't no way I remember my first piece. I vaguely remember some of my earliest pieces though. I think one accidentally was like, about hiroshima. I still do this thing where when I write, I just write and don't think. then when I'm done I fine-tune and figure out what I just wrote about lmao. you got your eyes on anyone for finals of this season?

Yeah I hear you on that I tend to rarely edit tho I usually try and edit as I go. I think franks gonna take this easily IMO, if he keeps writing the same rhyme schemes tho I'm gonna be disappointed. He's done that for a long time now and it's just getting boring, even still he will win this. I'm gonna wrap this up though. Tell us all who you will beat in order to get your aowl trophy?

I ain't taking a trophy this season bruh, I'm taking lessons. then I ain't gunna drop a season after. :D good talking

Final Word

This week's going to be absolutely ridiculous. I trust that everybody will drop 100%. It's at the point in the season where champ matches and contendors start popping up. We'll see the hardest verses we've ever read if we all put our best in. Make it happen. I do not want to see a single no-show. Sign up, put time up. I apologize for this magazine's brevity but I have to get my verse in so it is what it is! Good luck everyone!
Old 04-10-2016, 07:15 AM   #2
Artifice

Battle Record: 17-9

Champed
- Art Of Writing League
- GWL Picture Challenge

Artifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant future

Good looks on the mag Asylum... and you nailed it about my ending. Started the piece early in the week and had little to no time last weekend to properly finish it, so I just scrawled together an ending as I didn't want to not show...

if you want any help w/ the mags just lemme know, I'm always willing to help out in whatever way I can.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
Razah
rockkFresh

Battle Record: 8-10

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Razah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant future

Cool shit.

Not a fan of how @Frank dropped 60 bars on me though.

*shrugs*
Old 04-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #4
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Battle Record: 36-34

Champed
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

Adonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant future

Thanks for the feed bro.. Just kidding. Should have hit me up for a feature artist, I got a few on deck but I don't think I'll be able to do it next week since I won't have a comp in the hotel. What day you trying to chill? I'm good any day except monday and friday

TUPAC SHAKUR
Old 04-11-2016, 12:53 AM   #5
e11even
V.V

Battle Record: 31-20

e11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant future

Great work!
Old 04-11-2016, 03:02 PM   #6
Frank

Champed
- NWL Season 2
- Art of Writing League (5x)
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- AOWL Season 6
- AOWL Season 10

Frank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant future

You're a one man band, Pat
Old 04-11-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
Just Write

Battle Record: 9-12

Just Write has a brilliant futureJust Write has a brilliant futureJust Write has a brilliant futureJust Write has a brilliant futureJust Write has a brilliant futureJust Write has a brilliant futureJust Write has a brilliant futureJust Write has a brilliant futureJust Write has a brilliant futureJust Write has a brilliant futureJust Write has a brilliant future

Great read man, just finally got to read this. Been swamp ed this week, you're doing an awesome job pat
Old 04-11-2016, 05:48 PM   #8
dead man
living

Battle Record: 33-18

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- AOWL Season 1
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 4
- Write Week V
- GWL Season 1

dead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant future

Nice