Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Vault > Archives > The Netcees archive > AOWL Season 5 Archive

User Tag List

Old 08-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #1
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Battle Record: 36-34

Champed
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

Adonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant future
Default Week IV Magazine: The Tipping Point

Intro

Welcome to your fifth week magazine produced by yours truly alongside the one and only Innovator. This week I have aptly named the article “Tipping Point” because this is our first round of contenders match ups, which in turn is leading up to our first in-season champion.

Table of Contents
  • Week 4 Battle Reviews
  • Week 5 Battle Predictions
  • Throw Back Verse
  • Interview with Lars
  • Power Rankings
  • Outro

For your listening pleasures I have selected a guy named Rafi-ki from youtube. I am a subscriber and love most of the shit he puts out. He has multiple full length instrumentals for writing purposes, this is basically what i have been writing to for background music the past few months. None of it is original, he just makes these mixes essentially. Here's one of the many, enjoy.

Last edited by Adonis; 08-09-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #2
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Champed
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

Adonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant future

~Battle Reviews~

Razah beats 2tripple0 4-0

@Razah – You wrote a verse detailing the end of times using imagery in a subtle fashion as to not over power but help guide the message. I especially enjoyed the flow actually, while it was not too complex to follow, it was nor too simple to hate. You played a fine line and due to the fact that your cadance was butter smooth, everything else fell by the wayside. I feel like you could have slayed this verse with another ten bars, just going into depth with explanation and even more detail as to what is actually occurring. Still, you played it safe and walked away with a contenders match up. While you spoke of the end of times, being a bit more specific would have cleared the slightly muddy waters for me personally because as I sit, I'm not sure whether the sun exploded or Earth just collapsed. What I do know for sure is this, I enjoyed the read regardless.

@2tripple0 – Hmmm. Not sure of the overall meaning here to be honest. From what I do understand this verse is about a ship floating in the abyss. This connected with the topic being DARKNESS at noon, but I'm not sure what happened. I suppose the time traveler warned the people on the ship of their impending doom, but there are just not enough facts to support much of this assumption. Essentially what I'm saying is the verse was tough to follow. You are still a victim of minor, grammatical error, which I can relate to. I did not have much knowledge formal school until I ventured into my new found passion for learning as much as I possibly can. The errors I am talking about are as follows.... “After shock from the rocket as it lifted off” Tense change here. Simple shit like that broseph. While I have commended you on improvement in the past, I feel like with this verse, you took a slight step back. I noticed a simple simile or two. So I feel like you are trying to get back to the flow of things of conceptual lines, which is dope, continue to improve on that. I did enjoy that aspect of your style while utilized.

Innovator beats Asylum 3-1

@asylum – I can not lie, while I enjoyed this verse thoroughly, there are parts that I simply didn't like, yet, as a whole again, was enjoyed fully. “They thought what you'd see have no connection”. Just grammatically wrong here bro. Flows nice as hell, just under thought the meaning is all. Same issue with ensuing line. “Weighing in the endless scene that seems to blend the beams into sheets of grey” You changed the tense mid sentence the way you wrote it. You wrote a raw topical about people and government or at least the following nature in which we as people posses. I enjoyed the underlying message, but as far as crispness, execution on the little things, sub-par. It's weird, while I can see you executed your ultimate goal of writing a clear and conveyed message on a high level, the marginal errors brings your verse down a notch which is always crucial while voting. Good read though aside from what I said, because for the fifth time or so, again, I really did like this and enjoy reading and deciphering it.

@Innovator – I loved the recurring leaf and tree theme, you pounded that drum steadily, surrounding it with end of times and Mother Earth basically being herself and doing what it takes to survive, subsequently tossing human life aside. Did that rhyme? Would fit into your verse perfectly no? Anyways, this was a dope verse. The best thing about it is simple, you stayed on point. You saw the light at the end of the tunnel from the opening lines and stayed focus until you found the exit. There are parts I did not like in this verse as far as rhyme or cadence, but it all means nothing to me because you executed a plan damn near perfectly. If there was a line removed the verse might not have the same effect, so how can I fault you for murdering a concept? I can't. I noticed you going all out for certain bars in terms of flow and heavy rhyme scheme, while I appreciate this and it should show, your greatest talent has been giving me a picture of words. So as long as you don't loose that, but instead build upon it, great. Dope verse brother.

Mr. J defeats Unbornbuddha 4-1 BOTW

@UnbornBuddha – There was some uber dope writing within this verse. “Sweetness with synthetic peaches, experience human experience, devils Eden”. Very strong writing there. You wrote about a post apocalyptic world, and thank you for keeping one tense through out. A foreign, alien civilization came and captured and taught lessons and left the rest. I enjoyed the teachings by the species not of Earth. While it is true humans are stupid and oblivious to their surroundings, in turn unknowingly murdering there only home, they also posses this uncanny ability to adapt on the fly with a heart of gold in the final hour rectifying there chance at existence. You also touched on this inside your verse, so you essentially went full circle. I think the verse would have been stronger if you ended there. I did not need to know you were in a bunker, you had already sent your thoughts across in a clear enough fashion that I connected the meaning and the topic provided easily. I feel like you dummed it down in the end, and while this is good for most of the readers in the world, this is the best league inside the net today, and is simply not needed. Dope verse though. You nailed the topic and came strong with a well told concept while not going overly ludicrous and just out of this world.

@Mr. J – You matched the provided topic in superb fashion. You kept a quick flow that moved along rapidly while explaining a story from start to end using imagery and emotion, even if you didn't pour emotions thick. This verse is a prime example of how to write a topical. There is nothing about this that is cliché, sure it has been done before. But to the best of my knowledge, the flair you added between the silky smooth bars to the grand finale, it just doesn't matter. You stand out with a style that reads so simple yet swings heavy and connects true. This is weird to write, but the slight amount of darkness you eluded to, was clear as day. I know more then anyone that dark side you posses, it might not come out often, but when it does you shine. Oxymoron at it's best. All in all, this was the verse and battle of the week. Good shit.

~No Show Shine~

@Ullr – You wrote a pretty vivid and masterfully penned (in terms of poetical cadence) topical about moments of death and life. You gave examples from discolored leaves to crashing waves receding back, coffins. You went as far as explaining the skin and aches and pains that come with the typical grandparent, that weathered soul waiting it's final breathe. The final mini stanza finalized very nicely. “Cherish moments/innocent bites”. Dope way of saying the little things. I enjoyed this verse a lot. I feel like you packed in quite a bit of imagery and overall used well placed language to capture the provided topic superbly. This verse was one of the better of the week I must say along with Mr. J and Buddha. You have been as consistent as anyone has this season, lets see how you cope under the lime light and pressure of a contenders match.

~Week 5 Battle Predictions~

Fraze vs. Amgin Shaheen[/b]

This should be a pretty good match. I vaguely remember Fraze, but the fact that I kind of rmemeber him is a sign that he must be somewhat talented. Amgin on the other hand is a stud and a workhorse. Dude already posted and is a very solid and consistent writer which if he stayed signed in, sad that he's not, could potentially rise the ranks quickly
Amgin Shaheen 68%

Asylum vs. 2Tripple0

2Tripple has had a tough go at it so far but I feel like he's due for one. Asylum though has been around the block. He's not the most consistent writer of all, but when he comes strong he can beat out anyone. I don't know how close this will be because Asylum seems a bit motivated after his loss last week and I think he should win out here.
Asylum 74%

UnbornBuddha vs. Zinaii

I have no clue who Zinaii is, but I do know he's walking into a monster. Buddha has been the model of consistency over the past year competing in multiple leagues and tournaments and is always one of the better competitors involved. Tough to say for sure, but it s unlikely Zinaii is as good as Buddha because very few are.
Buddha 60%

~THE CONTENDERS~

Ullr vs. Innovator

Each of these writers are very talented and this will be a close bout. Although I did not know Ullr before this league, he seems like a well versed vet that has a solid style down pat. Inno has been around the block and should be in full stride for this bout. He destroyed a talented Asylum and has the potential to become this seasons first champion. Ullr though, he has been on another level of talent then most of the competitors. So while this can go either way, and it honestly all depends on who is better under preasure, I see Ullr squeaking by.
Ullr 52%

Mr. J vs. Razah

On paper, this looks like a close match. Both writers have been solid, but Mr. J has been elite these past couple weeks in my mind. I think you both have the same type of style. Shorter verses with shorter lines and straight forward approach to the topic. Nothing overly deep or convulited, just a verse that is easy on the eyes. The problem here is that Mr. J is one of the best at that style and rarely faulters. So while this may seem like a close bout, unless Razah has a different approach or witty concept, I just don't think he can edge it out.
Mr. J 66%

Last edited by Adonis; 08-09-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #3
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Champed
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

~Throw Back Verse~

Adonis: Years ago there was a growing phenomena called Scypt, now known more widely as topical writing. In this early stage of its creation however, there was a man named IKUE. He was one of the first to be published under the art form dubbed Scrypt, paving the way for those of us who have been published using these leagues as a platform. Here is that published work. In full disclosure, Ikue is the name I know him by and all rights hence forth are attributed to him.

A Homage to the Beat Generation
03-14-2006
Written By: Ikue

In the Arms of Slumber
The highway carries the night to hosts of places far and wide,
We sleep at it’s side; come morning time we catch our rides.
Nebulas support the skies, traces echo upon our weary eyes,
The moon sings lullabies to a sleeping road secreting sighs.

The Beat Awakens
And so a new day is born, the strong sun rises bold and warm,
Long curses are sworn, in fresh swarms the mosquitoes form.
All my clothes are worn, seams unravel and my jeans are torn,
I embrace this scorn, by God’s grace I cannot travel and mourn.
As my battered sneakers pace, I smile to be leaving that place,
While the sun hugs my face, it won’t matter iwho gives chase;
For I’ll leave no trace as I go, they've thrown their last blow,
Where I’ve been no-one knows; I have grown above my lows.
We all run from our past, wanting to hide, or find peace at last.
Never go back. With truth thrown aside at least freedom is cast.

From Whence it Sprung
Staggering home he swore, as he slurred and sung God’s law,
Alone and prepared I waited for him to throw a fist to my jaw.
Always pissed; Pop was a preacher, a poor community teacher,
Saw fit to love all creatures, but me; I had my mothers features.
One night he hit her hard, she left for good and broke his heart.
Despite my age I took her part; a young child hurt and scarred.
Years on punches were still flung, somehow I held my tongue.
Suddenly, after he swung, through his laughter my father sung:
’’Hit the road Jack (And don’t you come back…)’’
That night a small bag was packed.

The Beat
I’ve ridden with country hicks, fairy guys lusting for prick,
(They never got it) and rich white kids looking for kicks.
With smokes 'n' whisky shots, I’ve got buzzed and partied a lot,
The Beat’s always hot, but never found a place I'd like to stop…

…Until I reached Texas.

Glowing like a torch, that desert sun beat down and scorched,
And revealed a gorgeous girl, in the heat, sitting on her porch.
Her locks were blonde and long, her eyes green and strong,
I was lost to her as she sung her song:
’’Take me down to Mexico City,
Where the boys are fine n’ the gals are pretty,
Their hands are grubby and faces are gritty,
O Take me down to Old Mexico City’’
Upon her guitar she strummed, softly hummed then sung:
’’Take me down to Mexico City,
Where The Beat plays all day n’ all night
N’ the kids are all way outta sight,
And we’ll dance until the mornin’ light
You don’t need money Babe, that’s alright,
Just take me down to Old Mexico City.’’

The next morning she sure looked pretty,
As we hitchhiked down to Old Mexico City.
(Two thumbs up).

Interview

Innovator
Lars

Innovator:Today i have the pleasure of poking and prodding at what some would call a HOF of topicals and and overall live battle legend (go check the archives and Youtube) . @sraL himself aka Baron Mynd and so many others. just a quick little dive into the mind of a maniac lol.

Aight

Innovator: Hows the first season so far and why havent you competed more throught out the seasons?

Lars: It's been similar to a lot of recent topical leagues, interest the first week, waining by weeks 3-4. The RHYME suffered the same thing in it's most recent run at PR. I think right now there are only eight people signed in, and no disrespect intended to those involved, but they aren't the sort of 'names' that would draw people in. The battle scene has it right here lately in that they're now blooding new faces and they have a new generation of GOOD battlers to mix it up with the older heads. It's really competitive. I feel that the topical side pretty much has a monopoly of the top dogs and there's a vast gap between them and the next tier of writers. There are some noteable exceptions, Nigma (who just signed in) has a lot of potential. Ullr aka Baron X I can see sticking around for years once he finds 'his' style and a comfort zone. UnbornBuddah is ridiculously talented. You need to encourage more of these guys to step up though, a topical league with only eight people isn't interesting or competitive (to me at least) I thrive on competition. We need the likes of oats, deadman, Witty etc competing regularly. Those guys on their day are awesome writers capable of beating anyone, from any era. In answer to your later question, I'm not really a fan of the whole "seasonal" league format. I'm from the era of weekly on-going competitive leagues. When I was younger I maybe had time to compete for 16 weeks straight of whatever a season is, but not now I'm 29 with a job, house, wife etc. I've never really took part in any of the seasonal leagues bar a few weeks here and there, I much prefer the tournament formats where I can compete for 4-5 weeks and it's all resolved. It's not a long drawn out arduous process. It's short and to the point.

Innovator: Given the slow start and relatively new cast of participants. How would you rank this season as far as talent goes.?(to early to tell?)

Lars: I kind of alluded to this in the last question I guess, but I don't want to disrespect those who are involved. Fuck it. There's a certain prestige about facing and potentially beating a 'name'. To know you could compete at their level. There really aren't many established heads in the AOWL currently, and nothing is going to match the first season of AOWL when everything was new and people had something to prove. I'm not going to look back with rose tinted glasses though, competition wasn't that great, it maybe had more numbers - but not talent. Franks season my favourite. An in-form Frank is a monster. Certain too. They were, what we called at RM, the leagues Iron Men. They had endurance to compete week in, week out. There are very few who do that, and even less in this era of text. I think these types of character often get overlooked in the leagues as their records maybe leave them flagging behind the champs at 5 or 6-0, but these staples are what make the leagues and they deserve credit for that. Zygote was one for the league here in recent memory. Copypat even. It is a little early to discuss talent but I'd like to see the se newer guys step up and take the reigns this season. Your Mr. J's, Ullr's, UnbornBuddah, Nigma etc... with the bigger 'names' procrastinating, the opportunities there for one of then to take it and establish themselves. That's not a slight on them either, they're undoubtably talented, but a win here could help solidify their spot with gorillas.

Innovator: Who do you predict will win this season?

Lars: Whoever it is will be someone in it for the long haul, I'll stress that. This isnt about who is the best writer, it's about who has that streak to show up consistently. Couple that with consistency, the ability to maintain a high standard week after week. Consistency is a huge factor here for me, and I think when you start looking at those things in particular you start to narrow down the field. For my money? Nigma or UnbornBuddah at this present time are the top picks. I like both, Nigma maybe hasn't been around as much recently and there's always that working against him. Ring rust and the fact he might not stick it out, BUT when he did show in his last run he stuck it out and proved himself as dope. If memory serves me well he had a battle vs Frank that I remember? The guy has huge potential. He reminds me of a younger me when I was more obsessed with carrying multi strings and whatnot. UB on the other hand is more like Vulgar, he has a very calculated and clever pen game. He has elaborate story arcs. He has a lot of strength in knowledge and is a versatile opponent. His other strength here is, he's been actively competing in leagues and tourneys so he has no rust. Plus I know he is consistently dope with his, probably the best writer I've faced this year to be honest. Ullr is my outside pick, the guy definitely has it in him to champ. He rules RR. He's creative. He has a superb writers voice. He maybe takes topics too head on which was always one of my flaws, but he'll be there or there abouts. I'm sticking with UB as my pick though.

Inno: Ok enough about the aowl lets ask some personal shit.

Your a big horror fan right, whats your ideal death scenerio. Whether it be you or some one else?

Lars: It's amazing how uncreative I am when thinking of my own death considering how many characters etc I must have killed off over the years haha! I'd want something quick and painless but that would get immortalised on sites like rotten.com or the old steakandcheese shit. Something like a harpoon gun to the head, splitting the brain in half would be dope to look at as my soul lifted from my limp lifeless body. I saw a picture once supposedly of this tall celebrity guy who stepped out of a helicopter while it's blades were still whirring, he stood up and the propellor blades split his shit to high heaven. That would be quick, relatively painless and legendary I think? Maybe that. On an enemy though, I'd want that motherfucker to be tortured to within an inch of his sorry life before he died. The death by a thousand cuts shit sounds good. Maybe take my time to somehow record shit from their viewpoint as I chainsaw their limbs off like the Korean "The Butcher" movie. Any motherfucker on the wrong side of me is dying as long, drawn out and painfully as your mind couldn't even imagine. I would literally paper cut their eyeballs until their was nothing left. I'd keep their pickled brain above my fireplace as an ornament and use their decapitated hands as ashtrays like those old gorilla paw ones you can't possess anymore. I'd love to hospitalise someone so they can't move at all, maybe crush their windpipe so they can't talk or communicate. Blind them with acid during the attack but leave them alive, that's worth than death IMO, then I'd get a job as their nurse or whatever and force feed them to eat my own shit mixed into their meals so everyday I haunted them into wishing they had died. That's more like it.

Inno: Meek or drake?

Lars: LOL in all honesty, I haven't heard hardly ANYTHING by Meek. I'm not familiar with his work at all, he's not that big over here. Drake knocking in the clubs though, I can't lie. Plus he def won their little squabble and came out with more credibility even though they both kinda lost in a round about way. It got people talking about hiphop again though, which isn't completely a bad thing, even if it did seem like the poorest attempt at beef in recent memory. I'm glad it didn't escalate, it's better for the culture. We don't need another Big/Pac scenario blemishing hiphop ever again.

Inno: If you could troll anyone in the world and get away with it scot free who would it be and how would u do it?

Lars: I'll keep it a pound with you, I'd fake my own death somehow (harpoon to the face, I told you, quick/painless/looks dope!) and then I'd love to see the reactions of family members and friends to know who's really real and who's fake. It's maybe not the humorous answer you wanted, but it's a real one. I keep my circle pretty tight and like to think I'm a good judge of character, but it would be an interesting experiment I think.

Inno: Boxers or briefs?

Lars: LOL real talk I picked up some briefs by mistake a couple months back, threw a pair on, obv I had bought the wrong size and they were virgin tight on me man. Ended up walking for hours that day, my legs were sore and chafed and hurt up pretty bad. I got home to take a shit and as I pull them down, these briefs are covered in blood. It looked like a penile Polllock painting. Splashes of red all over. The briefs were that tight they had cut into my skin like cheese wire. Plus I'm a huge fan of the sweet science, Shame there aren't more knowledgeable heads here to discuss/debate it with besides Eddie. Boxers win hands down for that reason.

Inno: given your taste in movies do you consider jason, hallowen and movies like real horror?

Lars: Yeah, of course I do. I mean a lot of what I watch is extreme cinema, even stuff like Irreversible I don't consider a horror to be honest, but obviously due to it's graphic nature and "disturbing" scenes you'll find a lot of horror fans have checked it out even though it's not really 'my' category so to speak. Those hugely commercial horror flicks though are usually what have introduced people to the genre in their early years, they've found they liked those, and have then searched out the more harder to find/graphic/niche markets later on... but undoubtedly most people have started with seeing a movie they were too young to have supposed to or have found a copy of their older siblings etc and started from there. I love some of the bigger, more commercial stuff more than I do some of the more extreme. Infact, just yesterday I picked up the Scream! Comics versions of Halloween, issues 1-3, in mint condition for £10. They're pretty well sort after but I tend to keep my posts here about the extreme shit you guys wouldn't have seen rather than covering reviews on stuff you have. They wouldn't be as interesting if you already knew what they were about, IMO.

Inno: How much longer do you see your self doing this? And do believe theres any competition or hurdles you still haven't conquered?

Lars: I can always see myself writing in some fashion, whether that's here or for live battles or children's books which I've been asked to do by an illustrator friend. I don't think I'll ever lose touch of my writing, I really enjoy doing it. I'm maybe not as prolific as I once was, but I've definitely matured as a writer and found a style I'm entirely comfortable with. I turn 30 in October, I'm a married man, and I'm trying for a child. Obviously those things are huge and could take precedence but I feel I'll still find time to write amongst it all. It comes so natural to me I don't think I'll ever stop. There's not a whole lot more I want to accomplish, sometimes the mood takes me and I'll hit a vein of form and want to join a tourney or league here to test how good I am. I've a few people I maybe would like to face before I hung up the keyboard, Richard Corey especially as he's like the grandfather of this shit. I hold him in such high esteem as like, literally the best to do this. Ever. Beyond contention. I thought maybe it might happen in the last run at PR but he bowed out before we got to I at it and I lost interest and signed out once I saw he had dipped. RC def on my hit list though, bring him over and tell him we'll spot light that shit.

Inno: thanks for your time brother.

Lars: Thanks for the opportunity. Shouts to my boy @MMLP, my Word Perfect, Myrmidons and The Syndacate squads. Keg Party, waddup! Peace!
Old 08-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #4
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Champed
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

~Power Rankings

#4 Innovator: This was a pick em spot between Inno and Razah. In the end, Inno's verse last week edged him through. But in reality, either is deserving of being on this list.

#3 UnborndBuddha: There is not much you can say of this man that hasn't already been said. He has had the toughest schedule by far and is well deserving of this spot

#2 Ullr: Every verse this guy writes is a tough match for anyone. As consistent as I've seen in both leagues.

#1 Mr. J: I don't believe I have read every verse this young season by Mr. J, but the three that I did read have been consistently dope and in any given week, one of the better verses of that particular week.

~Outro~

Hopefully this weeks topic are fun, I sort of scrounged in the end because I did not know I was going to be posting topics until the night before. So I did the best I could and wanted to give as many options for inspiration as possible. One idea that buddha gave me though is if for one week we should allow the competitors to select there own topic. I don't mean from a list, I mean write about whatever it is they want to write about. Does this sound like something that would interest anyone? I know it's a tricky subject because, for me at least, the whole point in competing is challenging yourself to write to a provided topic and make it a work of art. Just thought I'd ask though and hopefully get some feedback.

Adonis out bitches. Big Thanks to Lars and Inno as always.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:50 PM   #5
2tripple0
death warmed over

Battle Record: 6-21

2tripple0 2tripple0 2tripple0 2tripple0 2tripple0 2tripple0 2tripple0 2tripple0 2tripple0 2tripple0 2tripple0

dope mag thanks for the breakdown
Old 08-09-2015, 01:55 PM   #6
Inno
Ad mini tator

Battle Record: 26-54

Champed
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Inno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond repute

Dope shit man @sraL thanks again gor the interview bro
@Adonis thanks for you time and effort broseph
Old 08-09-2015, 04:20 PM   #7
sral
Shrewd as evearthed

Battle Record: 28-3

Champed
- Gimmick Battle League
- The Winter Topical
- Topical Martyrs
- Lyric Olympics
- Art of Writing League
- Guerrilla Writing League (2x)
- Black August II

sral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond repute

Respect.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #8
MMLP

Battle Record: 15-16

Champed
- Write Week 9

MMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant futureMMLP has a brilliant future

Interesting read @sraL, heard most of it before whilst intoxicated lol.

First thing I'd do after your death bro is order a flatliner in your memory!

Stay healthy! Gym 2moz?
Old 08-09-2015, 05:17 PM   #9
Ullr
Norse God

Battle Record: 5-6

Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr Ullr

Really awesome work in this magazine! Spectacular stuff and quite entertaining to read - really makes the league more exciting to participate in.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #10
fraze

Battle Record: 14-24

fraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant future

dope mag. quality mags really make a difference in keep up interest for the league so i respect and appreciate the work you're putting in.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:04 AM   #11
Vulgar
Razor-thin derision

Battle Record: 40-25

Accomplishments
- OM HOF

Champed
- Fight Night LIV
- Gimmick Battle League (2x)
- Write Week II
- Art of Writing League
- Storytelling And Topical Invitational Tournament
- STI
- Haiku Writer Challenge
- GWL Picture Challenge(2x)

Vulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraze View Post
dope mag. quality mags really make a difference in keep up interest for the league so i respect and appreciate the work you're putting in.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:10 AM   #12
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Champed
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

There is a question inside the outro section of anyone cares to answer

Appreciate the appreciation most Def. Forgot why it's worth it till now

TUPAC SHAKUR
Old 08-10-2015, 07:34 AM   #13
Ullr
Norse God

I don't have anything terribly against picking your own topic but I feel as though it hinges the whole competition on a trust factor - someone could drop a verse they have been crafting for months or years just for that W with a topic or reuse a verse or something. I just think given topics are easier - if you need ever need Topics please let me know. I have a Topic library I have been gathering that is ~3,000 high resolution images strong. I just save them when I see them whilst 'trolling the internet.

Nice work in any case. :)
Old 08-10-2015, 09:05 AM   #14
sral
Shrewd as evearthed

Battle Record: 28-3

Champed
- Gimmick Battle League
- The Winter Topical
- Topical Martyrs
- Lyric Olympics
- Art of Writing League
- Guerrilla Writing League (2x)
- Black August II

sral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I think pick your own topic weeks are fucking lazy on the mods part.

No offense.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:51 PM   #15
Inno
Ad mini tator

Battle Record: 26-54

Champed
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Inno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond repute

My whole thing is the feat pf picking topics no likes and then blame the
Topic why they couldnt write or get inspired.

Pick your own topic takes all that away. But @Ullr made some solid
Points though.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:48 PM   #16
Mr. J
The Clown Prince

Battle Record: 35-45

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Mr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant future

dope mag....

honestly I feel like it (choosing your own topic) is good on rare occasions...
like week 8, 10, 12...something like that, but not throughout the whole season
I understand that it's tough trying to come with an idea off of a topic against your opponent
but I haven't had problems with it most recently, especially during the Martyrs tourny
it's a chance to flex your mind & try to use it to the best of your abilities...
but idk if it produces more activity here then....why not...
Old 08-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #17
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Champed
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

If there ever is a pick your own topic week, it will only be a one time thing bro's. Only once. But the pre writing notion from ul sort set me straight. Probably won't happen.

And how dare u lars. I'm the least lazy. Didn't even sign up to Mod yet here I am in time of need. Always willing to help

TUPAC SHAKUR
Old 08-10-2015, 05:02 PM   #18
Ullr
Norse God

I think it is best if viewed as a challenge rather than an obstacle. A Topic forces the writer to step outside his bounds and really come up with a new way of tackling certain subjects. I have written all sorts of oddball verses well outside my comfort zone and each has made me a better and more well rounded writer in the end.

Sticking to topics you like and writing the same damn verse week to week in a different order and with a can of paint over it isn't the best way forth if one intends to improve.

For example, this week I am doing my legwork in watching the film "V for Vendetta" and taking notes so that I might better serve the topic. This is not my typical "thing" and it requires a good bit of time and effort but in the end if it produces a superior product I am happy to invest. I think being assigned a topic or choosing topics from a pool are both solid mechanisms though assignment reeaaally forces you to dig deep at times.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:22 PM   #19
Mr. J
The Clown Prince

Battle Record: 35-45

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Mr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant future

interesting....
Old 08-10-2015, 05:54 PM   #20
UnbornBuddha

Battle Record: 23-10

Champed
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 5

UnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant future

Very enjoyable mag. As for the topic question, I like assigned topics, it challenges the writer, and the same assigned topic for both readers evens out the playing field, both opponents are given the same topic, picture or text, and they're supposed to not only outwrite another one, but outthink each other.
Albeit, voters don't always write who portrayed the topic better, but whose writing they liked more. But, sometimes, and I've seen it, a better rendition of the topic will beat a better-written piece. In fact, that is how I've beaten some elite writers, topical legends, by approaching the topic better than them. So, I think it has its merits and its flaws.

The choose your own topics off a thread, it's nice too, but the field becomes less like a coliseum battle, and more like a Japanese duel; it's less intense but more individual spirited.

And, for choosing your own topic out of thin air, that might be good for maybe one week. Just to try it out, some people might like the free poetic license to write whatever saga or epic they have in their mind, without the restrictions imposed on by topic bounds. There is more of a risk of cheating here, though, so hopefully writers will be honest, and not abuse this leniency on creative freedom.