Old 04-08-2016, 04:37 PM   #1
Inno
Ad mini tator

Battle Record: 26-54

Champed
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Inno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond repute
Default HOW NAS' ILLMATIC RUINED HIPHOP

http://www.complex.com/music/2013/04...7&kwp_1=305280

One of the greatest rap albums ever had an unintended consequence.

Written by Insanul Ahmed (@Incilin)

First and foremost, no one is saying that Nas' Illmatic is in any way, shape, or form wack. It’s probably the greatest rap album of all time. It set the gold standard for every album after it. It’s just a phenomenal piece of art. Point blank period. With that being said...

Illmatic did have one terrible lasting impact: It gave rise to the idea that rap albums would be better served with multiple producers. That lead to an overall decline in the cohesion and quality of rap albums and ushered in the era of superproducers.

Before Illmatic came out, rap albums were created the same way albums across all genres are created: With one artist or group and one producer (sometimes a team) who create a singular vision. Think about all the classic rap albums from the ‘80s: Who produced License To Ill? Rick Rubin and The Beastie Boys. Who produced Straight Outta Compton? Dr. Dre and DJ Yella. Who produced It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back? The Bomb Squad. Take a look at the production credits of the classic rap albums immediately preceding Illmatic and you’ll see the same trend. Every song on The Low End Theory was produced (or at least co-produced) by A Tribe Called Quest. Every song on The Chronic was produced by Dr. Dre. Every song on Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) was produced by RZA.

That's the way records had always been made. Just like how writers need editors, actors need directors, and Kanye needed Jesus, rappers need producers. Real producers, not just beatmakers who send instrumentals via email with a note that says, "Good luck."Illmatic wasn't created via emails, but it certainly enabled the idea that a singular vision wasn't necessary.

“I ALWAYS JOKE WITH NAS AND TELL HIM IT’S HIS FAULT, THAT ILLMATIC CAUSED A PROBLEM.” - NO I.D.

Despite having only nine songs, Illmatic had five different producers: Pete Rock, Q-Tip, DJ Premier, Large Professor, and L.E.S. Despite Nas begging his mentor Large Professor to executive produce the album, Extra P was too burdened with the breakup of his group Main Source to help young Nasir all the way. That left Nas without a go-to producer. Still, his immense talent was so obvious that the most established producers in the game flocked to him. This wasn’t a bad thing per se—especially since the album’s production is immaculate—but coupled with the rise of Puff Daddy’s The Hitmen and the success of Ready To Die, people started thinking that more production hands in the kitchen made a better cake.

Next thing you knew, rap albums started having a different producer for every song. And like a film that has a different director for every scene, albums became unfocused affairs. This also meant that producers weren’t tied to artists anymore.

Every producer from The Neptunes to Timbaland to even DJ Premier was able to use this to their advantage, and started slinging hot beats to whomever had a paycheck. Rather than Primo and Nasty getting down to make a classic LP, Premier could bless Nasir with “Nas Is Like,” Nas could make it a single, and it would be all good. But as great as “Nas Is Like” is, wouldn’t you trade it in a heartbeat to get a full LP from the dynamic duo?

I'm not the only one who thinks this. Last year when I spoke to No I.D., the main producer behind Nas' well-received Life Is Good, about how hip-hop has gone astray, he pointed to Illmatic as well.

“I always joke with Nas and tell him it’s his fault, that Illmatic caused a problem,” said No I.D. “Before that, when I started doing music, there wasn’t a concept of, ‘I could work on a Public Enemy album,’ or an Ice Cube album, or A Tribe Called Quest, or Gang Starr. It was a closed issue. You didn’t submit a beat to Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth.”

That’s not all the always outspoken producer had to say.

“I really think that’s the worst thing for albums ever,” he said about albums with multiple producers. “If you look before the ‘90s, you might not find many—if any—albums with multiple producers. It just didn’t exist in the history of music. That would have been like Michael Jackson telling Quincy Jones, ‘Look man, I know we did well on Off The Wall, but I’m hot now, and I need to see some other producers for Thriller.’ It just doesn’t make sense.”

Of course, now the super producer model is the norm. When Nas created Illmatic he created a work of art so great, everyone wanted to replicate it—even if they saw the formula and took the wrong lessons from it. Sometimes the best artists have the worst influence.

Discuss.
Inno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:40 PM   #2
Witty
Lime Life

Battle Record: 30-41

Accomplishments
- Only Slightly Retarded

Champed
- Lyric Olympics
- Summer Classic

Witty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant future

So it challenged people to raise their game and widen their circles and they didn't do it.

Not the fault of the album, but the fault of the other artists who simply could not contend.

Witty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
Inno
Ad mini tator

Champed
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Inno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond repute

It brings up a good point tho.

With one producer or one team of producers collectively
Working on the same vibe is definitely a more cohesive formula
Than random producers coming in and contributing there own sound

Thought this article was interesting
Old 04-08-2016, 05:37 PM   #4
Ghost1

Battle Record: 0-1

Ghost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant future

Been alot of collaborative albums w producer rapper duos lately too

Fuck complex
Not saying being drunk doesn’t mess up you reasoning. I’m turning 20 soon so I haven’t had a drink ever.
Ghost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:37 PM   #5
Ghost1

Battle Record: 0-1

Ghost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant future

The concept of the article is interesting tho I agree
Not saying being drunk doesn’t mess up you reasoning. I’m turning 20 soon so I haven’t had a drink ever.
Ghost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:54 PM   #6
Mr. J
The Clown Prince

Battle Record: 35-45

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Mr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant future

Nah
Old 04-08-2016, 06:33 PM   #7
oats
Steel Cut

Battle Record: 19-10

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

oats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant future

I read this last week and thought it was stupid. Still do.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #8
uh-oh
DA GOD

Battle Record: 1-0

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

Yea i can list tons of terrible 1 rapper 1 producer projects.

But in their defense, they arent newcomers. Its usually a dedicated vet beatmaker and vet rapper.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #9
Geno
White Earl

Battle Record: 10-15

Accomplishments
- Open Mic HOF (4x)

Champed
- Netcees Writers League
- Write Week I
- Write Week 8

Geno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant futureGeno has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Geno

Nas one of my fav artists. But i gotta be honest.. im so fucking sick of threads about this album that i just had to ssay how sick i am of it. But whatever.

Fuck jayz tho
Old 04-08-2016, 08:53 PM   #10
Inno
Ad mini tator

Champed
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaker oats View Post
I read this last week and thought it was stupid. Still do.
I feel like you been throwing shade at me lately

Where did we go wrong oats?
Old 04-08-2016, 09:19 PM   #11
oats
Steel Cut

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

oats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant future

YOU KNOW WHERE, YOU PIECE OF SHIT.

nah I'm really not, my response was purely to the article, which, I may have mentioned, I thought was stupid. You da man tho, nothin but ~1~ #love.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:24 PM   #12
Inno
Ad mini tator

Champed
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Lol no beef oatsman just Joking with you
Old 04-08-2016, 09:58 PM   #13
oats
Steel Cut

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
Lol no beef oatsman just Joking with you
yo anyone remember when textcee rules would be like "first to 5, 3-0 KO, no crew votes, no dickriding, no beef"? everything went downhill after we stopped prohibiting beef.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:02 PM   #14
Inno
Ad mini tator

Champed
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

You know what fuck you bro
Old 04-09-2016, 05:08 AM   #15
ill nik-A
Super Senior Member

Battle Record: 70-25

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- Battle Arena
- BA Picture
- Picture Battle Tournament
- Netcees Battle League (3x)
- Netcees Writers League (2x)
- Summer Classic VI
- Fall Brawl III
- Netcees Battle League Season X
- Lyric Olympics

ill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant futureill nik-A has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaker oats View Post
yo anyone remember when textcee rules would be like "first to 5, 3-0 KO, no crew votes, no dickriding, no beef"? everything went downhill after we stopped prohibiting beef.
Roflzzz
Old 04-09-2016, 08:12 PM   #16
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Battle Record: 40-19

Champed
- AOWL Season 3
- Art of Writing League (2x)

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

The article has one accurate point: Before Illmatic, nearly every legendary rap album was produced by one or two people/production teams. But it fails to contextualize the era. 2Pac's All Eyez on Me works much better as a turning point —it showed that rap fans would accept a watered-down product as long as the bangers banged and the jams jammed. Also, the rap LP went downhill after 1996 in very obvious ways.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:11 AM   #17
uh-oh
DA GOD

Battle Record: 1-0

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certain View Post
The article has one accurate point: Before Illmatic, nearly every legendary rap album was produced by one or two people/production teams. But it fails to contextualize the era. 2Pac's All Eyez on Me works much better as a turning point —it showed that rap fans would accept a watered-down product as long as the bangers banged and the jams jammed. Also, the rap LP went downhill after 1996 in very obvious ways.
why must you troll
Old 04-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #18
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Champed
- AOWL Season 3

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

All Eyez on Me had at least eight filler tracks.
Certain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:00 PM   #19
Witty
Lime Life

Battle Record: 30-41

Accomplishments
- Only Slightly Retarded

Champed
- Lyric Olympics
- Summer Classic

Witty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant future

8 tho? maybe 3 or 4....name 8, that in your opinion, were filler tracks.

Witty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:13 PM   #20
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Champed
- AOWL Season 3

A lot of this is just me thinking 2Pac’s love songs and the Outlawz/Dramacydal suck, but my list at the least would include these:

“Skandalouz”
“Tradin’ War Stories”
“What’z Ya Phone #”
“When We Ride”
“Thug Passion”
“Check Out Time”
“Ratha Be Ya Nigga”
“Run tha Streetz”

Tags
inno scared