Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

User Tag List

Old 07-22-2014, 07:17 PM   #21
Zen
Arm the Homeless

Battle Record: 22-24

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Zen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant future

Splitty: You just voted and told me to stop being random. Truth is, this was random as hell, but there was a whatadayacallit, general theme? that stayed throughout. I saw this as you looking back on your own memories and trying to make sense of all of it, and for the most part I dug it. I didn't like the first two opening lines because they were just sorta there, but the rest was great. Especially the story of god line which was my favorite line from this whole piece. Actually, just reread it and I don't know how I feel about the sadness and bullshit line. Kinda sticks out when compared to the language you used in the rest of the verse, which is a good and a bad thing. It's good because I'm sure that's what you intended for it to do, but it's bad because it threw the rhythm off for me. Every line before that one was great except for the first two, and after that line it never picked up again with the same quality that you started off with. Still, that's the only things I have to complain about and that's just because I'm nitpicking. Very good stuff, man. Now could you not leave anymore condescending votes? Condenscending Split is my least favorite Split :/

Black: I thought this started off a little slow for you, but once you hit the martyr and savior lines it picked up quick. Especially the last four or five lines or so. It really was the perfect way to close this out. I've read, and fed, so many verses of yours that it's gotten to the point where I don't know where to critique you, because really there isn't anything to critique you on. While the start of this verse was slow, it still wasn't bad. This was all solid writing, maybe a little below par with some of your other stuff, but not by much. Your usual style was here with crisp rhymes which are always good, but the descriptive language is what sets you apart from most. When you describe a scene, you're painting a picture in the reader's mind. Good stuff as always.

Great work fellas.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #22
Pent uP
Robin Williams of Fallen Victims

Battle Record: 25-11

Accomplishments
- NC Hall of Fame

Champed
- Netcees Writers League (2x)
- NWL Season 1
- Write Night I
- Art of Writing League (2x)
- Write Week IV

Pent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant future

Kid -- Short bursts of images. A very abrupt style that is effective due to the creativity behind each phrase. The writing felt more collegiate than natural. Elysium is to heroes as utopia is to people, so I took the whole not-a-hero spiel as this was a fancy allegory for utopia. In that sense, the message fell flat for me - as utopia is an idea, a dream, a mirage within our own fantasies. The laden images here just cemented that, but acted as if they were something surprising. Strong writing, poor direction in my humble opinion.

Skull -- kind of the same critique as Kid to be honest. Some differences. You wording is much more organic and lends itself easier to relate to. You guys touched on some of the same motifs(? ideas?), in similar fashions. I dont know if that was intentional or not but it made the overall product feel a bit more stale than it should've. kinda funny I said mirage after reading kid's verse and then you ended on that note. Same as for him - I disagree with the direction you took the meaning of title/topic here (I know..interpretation blablabalbalabla). I think you both fell flat of what the potential was here, but produced nothing to scoff at.

Good shit guys, hope that didnt come off too harshly.

Last edited by Pent uP; 07-24-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Pent uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:51 PM   #23
dead man
living

Battle Record: 33-18

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- AOWL Season 1
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 4
- Write Week V
- GWL Season 1

dead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant future

Not at all thanks pent and everybody for the thoughtful responses. I know I speak for split as well when I say you are all loved dearly.

3 guests still viewing this is sorta suspect doe.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:18 PM   #24
Split

Battle Record: 27-22

Split has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond reputeSplit has a reputation beyond repute

<3 bros <3

the criticism was very much appreciated. Last post from me ITT, thanks.

Quote:
may you rise above delirium often. it's a parallel doctrine --
rainwater in harvest season, tears in a coffin
may your spirit pass, untarnished towards wherever you'd like
once i left you tonight, i knew you'd never return
great writing, black.
Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:56 PM   #25
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Battle Record: 40-19

Champed
- AOWL Season 3
- Art of Writing League (2x)

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead man View Post
3 guests still viewing this is sorta suspect doe.
Obviously trying to get dates.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:27 PM   #26
YDK
ghost in the matrix

Battle Record: 14-25

Champed
- Art of Writing League (x2)
- Lime Green Poetry Association

YDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant future

I've skimmed this a few times so far, @dead man and @Split somebody mention me in here in a day or two so I remember to come back and read this thoroughly lol from what I've caught its dope as fuck so far
Old 07-27-2014, 11:56 PM   #27
veritas
HALL OF FAME

Battle Record: 3-5

veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas

You are both very talented. Split is the genius with no experience. Blacketh is the experience with no genius. Works well.
The cerebral assassin, the molder of minds, the Omni potent being. Time transcending traveler, wisdom incarnate. Veritas needs no intro but I guess I have to. He’s not know in the battling world but who doesn’t know veritas? The guy us always original and if you pay attention to his bars, dude brings the heat.. The gawd.
veritas is offline   Reply With Quote