oats
Steel Cut

Battle Record: 19-10

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

oats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant future
Default yoooo I was cleaning/organizing my comp and found this I wrote for an AOWL mag

and it's actually kinda dope. it was saved as "The Beauty of Losing." here it is:

I always idolized BJ Penn growing up. Not only for the shared place of origin, but because he embodied a certain mystique of invincibility that nobody else seemed to come close to. He was freakishly talented, ambitious to a fault, and brash enough to believe - better yet, to know - that he would accomplish his goals. Which is exactly what he did, typically in spectacular fashion. A natural 155 pounder, his early career saw him compete and win fights in weight classes up to heavyweight (well, he was a bloated 187 pounds, but his opponent was at a comfortable 220). This including a breezy championship win at 170, and two should’ve-been championship 155 fights.

That’s where his real mystique settled: his losses. Yes, he had incredible wins, but it was how he lost that cemented his initial legacy. That is to say, all of his losses happened under questionable circumstances. At least, in the perception of the BJ Penn fan.

1. Loss to Jens Pulver: The two first met for the inaugural lightweight strap. This was the first closely contested match of BJ’s career, and he ended up losing a majority decision (one judge called it a draw, the other two in favor of Pulver). Not only was it a razor-thin decision, at the end of round 2, BJ caught Jens in an armbar, and you can clearly see him tapping out right as the bell rang. It was contended at the time whether or not he tapped, but it left a large asterisk by the validity of the win for Jens.

2. Draw against Caol Uno: This was a rematch for BJ. In their first encounter, BJ bumrushed Uno in an 11 second knockout that announced BJ’s arrival to the lightweight title. Their second encounter was for the vacant lightweight championship (BJ’s second crack at UFC brass). Unbeknownst to the competitors, the UFC was already planning at doing away with the lightweight division, as its fighters were not profitable draws at the time. BJ easily won 3 rounds, possible won another, and dropped one. To the shock and dismay of everyone in attendance (as well as anyone who watches the fight now), the bout was called a draw, and used as kindling for the fire to get rid of the LW division. Another questionable non-win for the Prodigy.

3. Loss to Lyoto Machida: After thoroughly thrashing and submitting the consensus world #1 lightweight (Takanori Gomi) and repeating that same feat at welterweight with a first round submission of pound-for-pound stalwart Matt Hughes for the UFC belt, BJ went on a mission to find the most challenging fights he could, regardless of weight class. This culminated in a showdown with future UFC champ Lyoto Machida, who outweighed BJ by nearly 30 pounds at the weigh-ins. This turned out to be a close decision loss, despite BJ landing more strikes against his oversized opponent. Years later, Fightmetric would qualify this as a statistic win for BJ, a trite silver-lining for the man himself, but another weapon in the arsenal for BJ supporters.

4. Loss to George St. Pierre: After his foray into other weight classes and organizations, BJ had a highly-trumpeted return to the weight class he briefly championed. In his return fight, he was pitted against up-and-coming star GSP, who was hailed as the next generation fighter for being expertly well-rounded and a superior athletic specimen. This was the foundation for the foil of Penn’s career, as GSP’s cardio and athleticism would prove too much for the raw talent and suspect cardio of Penn. Prior to this fight, Penn was an outspoken advocate for not preparing for fights - his rationale being that it wasn’t a true reflection of real fighting (if you’re in a street fight, you don’t say “hey meet me in 12 weeks after we both train for each other”). This ended up costing Penn the match, as he smashed GSP in round one, but succumbed to numerous takedowns in which zero damage was reciprocated. The end result was a split decision loss for Penn, whereupon he famously quipped “[GSP] spent the night at the hospital, I spent the night at the bar.” By most accounds, BJ won the fight, but lost the competition, mostly due to poor cardio.

5. Loss to Matt Hughes: After GSP earned the title shot by besting Penn, he had to pull out due to an injury. This cleared the path for BJ’s redemption - not only to prove that his first win against Hughes wasn’t a fluke, but also that he could train for better cardio and cash in on his enormous talent. And for two rounds, he did just that, dominating the standup with crisp boxing, as well as the ground with excellent grappling wizardry, including one of the most electrifying positional changes from full guard to back control in UFC history. He closed the second round with a near finish, but looked visibly drained at the end of the round. After losing by TKO (first time being finished in his career, though it was counted a TKO because he was unable to advance position, not because he was actually knocked out), news broke that not only did BJ fail to prepare for cardio (again), he also separated his ribs in the aforementioned sweep to back control. Again, even when being finished in a fight, another asterisk.

Similar stories exist for his losses to GSP in the rematch (Grease-gate, as it was later known) and his first loss to Frankie Edgar, where he won 3/5 rounds in the eyes of just about everyone who did not officially judge the fight. And so the legend of BJ grew not only in his victories, but also by the questionable status of almost every loss. I can’t say whether or not, or to what extent BJ bought into these asterisks and excuses for his losses, but as a fan, I know that over the years one thing became very apparent. None of that mattered. Those were still losses on his record, but beyond that, he was still viewed with the same mystique and allure that he always had been, despite suffering a handful of losses that didn’t have such easy alibis. His record is unimpressive, but he is still widely considered the greatest lightweight fighter of all time.

BJ once said, and I took this to heart, “All I want is to be known as the best ever - is that too much to ask?” Of course, this was said with a wide grin and wild look in his eyes, but it’s a notion that we can all relate to, in whatever endeavor we choose. For us in the AOWL, I’d assume most of us have a similar ambition - if not to be the best ever, at least to be the best version of ourselves we can be. It sucks to lose. Nobody competes with the intention of losing, but do it long enough and it happens. Sometimes you’ll win when you probably should’ve lost, and sometimes you’ll lose when you probably should’ve won. But in the end, what does it matter?

To be sure, the message here isn’t “losing will one day make you a winner,” although that’s most certainly true. Nor am I saying “we’re all winners with the right attitude!” What I’m saying is, we’re all winners. And losers. And everything in between, depending on the day. It’s an inescapable reality; over the course of our lifetime, we are everything on the spectrum. It’s the beauty of being human.

Recently, my friend and I have been going on sunrise swims, watching the emergence of a new day from the front row of the ocean. Even in Hawaii, the water at 6AM is pretty chilly, as is the walk to the beach. But once you dive in, swim around, and let yourself acclimate to the temperature, always, without fail, the water becomes the perfect temperature. If winning is akin to the warm coziness of a blanket of puppies, losing would be the exhilarating jolt of a cold pool. One is more immediately inviting and rewarding, but there’s value to both. Eventually, if you’re goal is to properly aligned, it always becomes perfect.

Life isn’t always pretty, but it’s always beautiful.

I started the season off 8-0, and I was proud of that. Not only because I was undefeated, but because all but one of those went to votes - no losses, no bullshit victories. Plus, aside from my rematch with Zygote, I won by a comfortable margin every time, and even in that instance I was never too concerned that I was going to lose. Of course it felt good. If we’re being honest, a part of the reason any of us do this is for validation and recognition (to varying extents, of course). We want people to not just vote for us, but to tell us we’re awesome, talented, oh so clever with words and rhymes and ideas. Oats, you da man. Tell me more.

But along came Pancake, the first of now two late rallies that have thrown me on my current skid. Deflating was the word that I used, because I lost, even though I was confident that I won. That’s not to say Cake’s verse wasn’t good - on the contrary, it was great in a lot of ways. I just think mine was better, as I’m sure he feels about his verse. As a sidenote, we typically write the things we enjoy reading, so our attempts at objective valuation of our own work is generally pretty useless. Regardless, most losses give that immediate feeling of punctured ego, the sting of regret and betrayal.

Naturally, I ran through the gamut of excuses. I was busy that week. People were anxious to see a new champion. Split is one of Pancake’s aliases. Dyed cast a shitty vote. Certain was blinded by his infatuation. And for a few moments, these quell the disappointment of losing, as realistic or far-fetched as they may be.

In spite of that, I find myself at the bottom of the ranks following a two week skid, losing in close, last-minute rallies. Which gives me two options: pick apart the reasons why these losses were questionable and convince myself that I really did win them, or…not do that. It sounds simple to the point of stupid, but that’s the best dichotomy I arrived at. Whatever that second option is, just don’t do the first. For me, that means continuing to show up every week. I could very easily be 8-3 after this week, and down 1-2 to my nemesis Vulgar to boot. But at the end of the day, I don’t keep my wins and losses column. I keep my verses.

Let me be clear. All I want is to be known as the best topical writer ever. I don’t think that’s too much to ask. My goal is not to have the best record ever. The beauty is that those two are very different things. If anything, losing ruins one of those goals, and propagates the other.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:30 AM   #2
Hawk
Banned

Battle Record: 1-0

Hawk has a brilliant futureHawk has a brilliant futureHawk has a brilliant futureHawk has a brilliant futureHawk has a brilliant futureHawk has a brilliant futureHawk has a brilliant futureHawk has a brilliant futureHawk has a brilliant futureHawk has a brilliant futureHawk has a brilliant future

Obviously it was very well written. I resonate with the BJ Penn stuff because he was one of my favorite fighters oat. I remember the interview before Penn GSP 2, I believe it was the first time they followed the fighters around for weeks before the fight. And Penn said it was the first time he was actually doing a "traditional" training camp. It was pretty amazing what he had done in his career without those camps. It was in that same series that he jumped out of a pool of water onto the ledge without using his hands, which I became infatuated with doing for an entire summer after.

I think it was in the same interview when he spoke on his childhood and how he learned to fight. I always found it hilarious because iirc it's almost the opposite of most of these guys in the UFC. He grew up rich, but had to walk through a very poor neighborhood to get to/from school. He had to learn to fight because the other kids in that neighborhood would try to rob him, and take his shoes.

As far as the rest of it, I like how you tied it into what you do/did here. That was pretty awesome and I think everyone can relate to wanting to be the best. If you don't think you can be the best there's no point in competing. Who wakes up going "I hope I can be average!".

Good shit!
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:58 AM   #3
Amen
As-salamu alaykum!

Battle Record: 19-8

Champed
- 1-2 Punch League Season 6

Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen

Speaking of UFC...

A lot of talk going around about, Mayweather and Damtrius Johnson in a UFC cage striking/boxing match. Also - GSP vs Woodley but feel like and also read some where GSP wants out of that weight class. It's too heavy for him. I saw on a UFC or MMA Striking blog that there is also GSP vs McGregor at 155 discussion.
Amen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:01 AM   #4
Hawk
Banned

Hawk has a brilliant futureHawk has a brilliant futureHawk has a brilliant futureHawk has a brilliant futureHawk has a brilliant futureHawk has a brilliant futureHawk has a brilliant futureHawk has a brilliant futureHawk has a brilliant futureHawk has a brilliant futureHawk has a brilliant future

I don't know how much damage May would be able to take with those gloves. Would striking include kicks? If yes may is done. Does it include elbows? Backhands? etc. May at a disadvantage. That being said May's defense is nothing to scoff at and despite his age and taking shots in his hands he still does have some power.

Despite Woodley being a hair on the boring side as of late, I don't think GSP could rock with him. GSP could be Conor pretty easily unless he tries to stand up too long or gets caught like Aldo did.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
Gunplay
Hall Of Famer

Battle Record: 0-1

Gunplay Gunplay Gunplay Gunplay Gunplay Gunplay Gunplay Gunplay Gunplay Gunplay Gunplay

https://totalsports.com.au/ufc/diaz-...fc-202-review/

An article I wrote on McGregor vs Diaz two. My prediction came right.

This was very well written btw

Good to see some MMA heads on here
Old 12-29-2017, 10:05 AM   #6
Amen
As-salamu alaykum!

Champed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero View Post
I don't know how much damage May would be able to take with those gloves. Would striking include kicks? If yes may is done. Does it include elbows? Backhands? etc. May at a disadvantage. That being said May's defense is nothing to scoff at and despite his age and taking shots in his hands he still does have some power.

Despite Woodley being a hair on the boring side as of late, I don't think GSP could rock with him. GSP could be Conor pretty easily unless he tries to stand up too long or gets caught like Aldo did.
No, from what I read/heard - all in favor of Mayweather LOL. So basically a BOXING match inside of the octagon. You know Mayweather isn't doing no UFC rules type shit...

He doesn't need the fight, so the UFC is catering to him so that Mayweather can do what he does best and bring MONEY to the UFC. It's all about the money at this point. Will be a HUGE payday for Mighty Mouse, tho... I mean Connor even thinking about 1 more boxing match before returning to the UFC because he made so much money in 1 fight against the GOAT. I guess that is where all the CON VS MANNY PAC rumors are coming from. I'd never watch that fight tho... Not interested.

Agreed about GSP and Mcgreg. Woodley is definitely boring but mad talented and fucking HUGE and powerful - don't see GSP winning that AT ALL. I mean look how well Woodley defended the take down verses arguably one of the words BEST juijitsu artists mya.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:19 AM   #7
Hawk
Banned

If it's straight boxing Mayweather going to play with him the same way he did Conor. Make it look closer than it really is.

I'd love to see Conor box someone outside the top 10. He did have flashes of good boxing but you can't really gauge that off his fight with May because May wasn't giving it 100% the whole time. Talks of Conor vs Pac or Hoya. Not really interested in either, I think Pac even on the downward slide of his career would win that. Hoya might be closer which is sad to say because Hoya used to be my favorite boxers.

But Conor against a good boxer would be dope, just not against these HOF types haha.

And yeah Woodley is strong enough and has just enough wrestling experience that he could stuff some attempts by GSP. All he really has to do is stuff one and start striking and it could be over.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:43 AM   #8
Amen
As-salamu alaykum!

Champed

Mayweather didn't give 65% the entire fight bro. Had he, it would have been a different outcome. Hell, Mayweather didn't even train. He spent every day and night at his strip club in Vagas LOL.

But word, Woodley would stuff his shoot attempts easily. And yea, he's a well rounded wrestler so there is that.

I don't think Connor is even on the level of professional boxing. A green amateur - yes, not professional. Any top contender is going to defeat him easily. And mediocre contender is going to body him in a boxing ring. Just a different world man. MMA fighters train at the most basic level of boxing and it's not technical - it;s basically striking and how to strategically counter and block. It's not at the capacity a professional boxer trains at. I'd much rather Conner stick with MMA then continue down the boxing path...

Pac is washed up man. I mean - I think he got robbed in his last fight but even that fight wasn't impressive by any means. And DelaHoya? That nigga fat as fuck and would never make weight LMAO... He needs to shut the hell up and continue focusing on his promotion company Golden boy. I mean, I still think even him being in the condition he is in today would beat Connor LMAO in a boxing match.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:53 AM   #9
Hawk
Banned

Agree it's a completely different world. But Conor does have that power and solid accuracy that he could catch someone. He's not going to catch (or get the chance to catch) someone like GGG or Canelo or anyone near that. But I think he could hold his own (until he gassed out) against some of those average pros. Don't get me wrong I'd still consider him the underdog even against the last ranked pro at the weight, I just think he's got some skill if he polished it up.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #10
Amen
As-salamu alaykum!

Champed

Quote:
Agree it's a completely different world. But Conor does have that power and solid accuracy that he could catch someone. He's not going to catch (or get the chance to catch) someone like GGG or Canelo or anyone near that. But I think he could hold his own (until he gassed out) against some of those average pros. Don't get me wrong I'd still consider him the underdog even against the last ranked pro at the weight, I just think he's got some skill if he polished it up.
Eh, a lot of people where hyping his power which we saw nothing of against Mayweather who honestly gave him EVERY opportunity to air him out. But word, anyone who polishes their craft can be nice man. I think his power is over rated, tho. He does have fast and accurate hands, tho. I'll give him that.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #11
Hawk
Banned

I think it's the accuracy that kind of makes his power. He doesn't have those traditional heavy hands at all. Mayweather made him miss pretty much any punch that could have done damage. May was in control the entire time. Someone without that type of defense might (and it's definitely a might haha) be a different story.

I'm not saying he's a good boxer. I just think he could be. But I'm 100% on the same page he should stick to MMA.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #12
Gunplay
Hall Of Famer

Gunplay Gunplay Gunplay Gunplay Gunplay Gunplay Gunplay Gunplay Gunplay Gunplay Gunplay

Quote:
He couldn’t rock Nate who isn’t even a professional boxer. What makes you think he’d catch a professional boxer with years of training and obviously more durability than Nate? Conor can dust these LW and FW mma fighters. But he can’t catch anyone from boxing. Stop smoking that rock
Old 12-29-2017, 11:04 AM   #13
Amen
As-salamu alaykum!

Champed

Word... @Anti Hero

I'd rather him stick to MMA, is all I'm saying even tho he rather stick with boxing because the purses are much larger lol... And less damaging, I suppose... Longevity wise - boxing to him is the better option. Which I think is a huge role in why he hasn't done shit with the UFC and Dana is actually getting aggravated about it lol...
Old 12-29-2017, 11:06 AM   #14
Hawk
Banned

Dead at bringing Nate's durability up. The Diaz brothers are two of the most durable fighters of all time. Nate's chin is insane.

@Amen yeah Conor is pretty smart when it comes to the business sides. He's looking for paychecks, even asked for stock option before. Honestly I could see him maybe doing a Diaz 3, one or two more boxing matches, then jumping into movies.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:09 AM   #15
Amen
As-salamu alaykum!

Champed

Quote:
Dead at bringing Nate's durability up. The Diaz brothers are two of the most durable fighters of all time. Nate's chin is insane.

@Amen yeah Conor is pretty smart when it comes to the business sides. He's looking for paychecks, even asked for stock option before. Honestly I could see him maybe doing a Diaz 3, one or two more boxing matches, then jumping into movies.
I was thinking the same thing. However WWE is after him as well with some ridiculous number contract lol... But word.

I say we see him fight at least 2 more boxing matches and 2 more UFC fights and it's a wrap for his fighting career unless he does in fact join the WWE Hahaha...
Old 12-29-2017, 11:12 AM   #16
Hawk
Banned

Yeah I mean really there's nothing else for him to do in the UFC. Despite what people think about how he got where he did, he won two belts at two weights back to back over people that should have washed him. He's obviously not going to go up and bang with Woodley (or anyone in the top 15+ at that weight). So he can try to fight/defend the other two weights but he knows the only way his stock can go is down from where he's at. He's not going to make a name in boxing, and he can only box a couple times before the novelty wears off. Before people expect him to actually box well, and when he doesn't that stock drops again.

WWE would be a good move for him. I don't watch that stuff but at least it's semi-scripted and he can do what he does best, talk.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #17
Gunplay
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Nick got KOed by Andre Ward in training
Nate got stopped by Josh Thomson

Yeah they got iron chins but if Conor couldn’t knock Nate out in MMA (even tho Nate has been stopped before so it’s not like it’s impossible), what makes you think he’ll catch any other boxing professional?
Old 12-29-2017, 11:16 AM   #18
Hawk
Banned

Don't quote me you dork. I don't associate with trash.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:16 AM   #19
Amen
As-salamu alaykum!

Champed

Quote:
Yeah I mean really there's nothing else for him to do in the UFC. Despite what people think about how he got where he did, he won two belts at two weights back to back over people that should have washed him. He's obviously not going to go up and bang with Woodley (or anyone in the top 15+ at that weight). So he can try to fight/defend the other two weights but he knows the only way his stock can go is down from where he's at. He's not going to make a name in boxing, and he can only box a couple times before the novelty wears off. Before people expect him to actually box well, and when he doesn't that stock drops again.

WWE would be a good move for him. I don't watch that stuff but at least it's semi-scripted and he can do what he does best, talk.
He's a great performer - WWE would be good for him. I mean him vs May - leading up to the fight was nutts. Every stadium sold out just to watch them 2 go back to back talking shit to one another.

But word... And word @ the DIAZ brothers... Comptons toughest scrubs to get rich lol... Them dudes are tough man... Real fucking tough... Both of them, not just Nate... Nick's pretty durable as well lol.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:20 AM   #20
Gunplay
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Don't quote me you dork. I don't associate with trash.
You’re garbage. Predictable gun name flips and bitten lines off a meme. You’re the last person to call anyone trash.