Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Vault > Archives > The Netcees archive > AOWL Season 6 Archive

User Tag List

Old 06-15-2016, 11:17 AM   #21
UnbornBuddha

Battle Record: 23-10

Champed
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 5

UnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant future

I highly suggest writing your work in Microsoft word, it also has an autosave feature as well. So you don't lose your work in such unfortunate circumstances.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:43 AM   #22
NYCSPITZ
SYRACUSE

Battle Record: 31-37

Champed
- Write Night II
- Alias Topical Tournament

NYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant future

I've been reading a lot of buddhist material, buddha. Highly prevalent in modern times, highly prevalent...

only major religion which isn't at odds with science.

mind, body, spirit, the various "planes" of existence...

one reality.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:23 PM   #23
asylum

Battle Record: 7-5

asylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
You would have had one. Finished my piece & tried to send it but got signed out. lost all of it
you need to save your shit on a word processor before you drop G.

now I know why you always say that. writing it on the mobiles notepad if you're on one, simple procedure could save you a lot of time.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:25 PM   #24
asylum

asylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant future

@sraL cool lets get him in next season.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:49 PM   #25
UnbornBuddha

Champed
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 5

UnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSPITZ View Post
I've been reading a lot of buddhist material, buddha. Highly prevalent in modern times, highly prevalent...

only major religion which isn't at odds with science.

mind, body, spirit, the various "planes" of existence...

one reality.
Any particular sutra? Or any particular master's teachings?

Stay away from many of the modern Buddhist teachings, they are not what the Buddha taught, its psycho-materialistic Buddhism.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:04 PM   #26
Mr. J
The Clown Prince

Battle Record: 35-45

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Mr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylum View Post
you need to save your shit on a word processor before you drop G.

now I know why you always say that. writing it on the mobiles notepad if you're on one, simple procedure could save you a lot of time.
And ignore the inspiration of the lime background? No thank you...

Just remember I showed all season....you're welcome
Old 06-15-2016, 10:41 PM   #27
NYCSPITZ
SYRACUSE

Champed
- Write Night II

NYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbornBuddha View Post
Any particular sutra? Or any particular master's teachings?

Stay away from many of the modern Buddhist teachings, they are not what the Buddha taught, its psycho-materialistic Buddhism.
You'd probably be against it but mahayanist buddhism, particularly the branch that chants nam myoho renge kyo the title of the lotus sutra. I tried chanting it today and placebo or not I felt peaceful. It's not something where I'm going to just stick to this, I'll probably have to get into some Alan Watts and translations of actual scripture but of all the major religions I identify more with buddhism. Other than that I read Siddartha by Herman hesse, the tao of physics, something by d.t. suzuki and a bunch of popular magazines. I can't forsake my natural urge toward being a grey jedi though - 75-85% good but also with the capacity for evil bc I can't fight evil with good I can only fight evil with evil. JMO.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:28 AM   #28
UnbornBuddha

Champed
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 5

Quote:
You'd probably be against it but mahayanist buddhism, particularly the branch that chants nam myoho renge kyo the title of the lotus sutra. I tried chanting it today and placebo or not I felt peaceful. It's not something where I'm going to just stick to this, I'll probably have to get into some Alan Watts and translations of actual scripture but of all the major religions I identify more with buddhism. Other than that I read Siddartha by Herman hesse, the tao of physics, something by d.t. suzuki and a bunch of popular magazines. I can't forsake my natural urge toward being a grey jedi though - 75-85% good but also with the capacity for evil bc I can't fight evil with good I can only fight evil with evil. JMO.
Ah for sure. That particular branch comes from a monk called Nichiren. He had an interesting life, survived some executions by what some call good luck or divine will. The lotus sutra is deemed as the most powerful sutra. A famous Chan master once said that if you want to find out why the Buddha came to Earth, read the Lotus Sutra. If you want to learn how he attained enlightenment, read the Surangama sutra.
And no I am not against Mahayana, that is my particular resonance, albeit I am inclined towards Chan/ Zen sect. Particularly old school type Chan.

If it made you feel peaceful that's good. If your willing, try chanting the Lotus Sutra one day in Sanskrit, it is even more powerful in effect in my opinion.

And I love Herman Hesse's Siddhartha, wish I could read it in German. One day I suppose. D.T. Susuki was a great scholar, check out his Lavankatara sutra, his greatest translation. And of course your inclined toward Buddhism, i have come to see that it attracts certain minds.

And as for Good vs evil. From the perspective of the great Confucian Mencius, evil doesn't even exist at the presence of true goodness. But relatively evil exists in contrast to good, but since this good is intertwined with evil, it is not true goodness. I think fighting exists because of good and evil, the evil think they are doing good, or they are trying to be good by doing evil. There are a couple of stories where some crazy murderers, psychopaths who would wear a necklace of their victims' fingers, were transformed when they met a being of true goodness.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:34 AM   #29
asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
And ignore the inspiration of the lime background? No thank you...

Just remember I showed all season....you're welcome
do you post from a computer? do you have word? I will personally create an environment in word for you to have your "comfy space."

I truly do appreciate you, but we take the playoffs seriously man.
Same shit probably happened during adonis winter tourney. That was fucked up bro. Same thing happens first round here, better then final one I guess. You have to admit, I make a valid point.

You can take steps to avoid this happening next season. Please utilize them.
Regardless, thanks for your votes, time, and dedication to our cause. Truly, thank you. I love your work and your rhyming votes even. Everyone else hates them but me. Keep doing you man. Just do your work in a more dependable environment next season. Please.

edit : Voting in full tomorrow, coming through with a mag. No show shine coming at @UnbornBuddha for sure.

LETS KEEP THIS MOVEMENT GOING!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2016, 04:11 AM   #30
asylum

I hope you all know voting deadlines will not be overlooked in the future. Guilty this week as anyone. Dropping mine now.

I'm trying to get a tourney rolling tag team alias most likely. Don't fuck off on these votes.

I hope you all follow suit. Great luck to anyone competing in the playoffs.

Thank you all for your continued participation and dedication.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:45 AM   #31
Pharaohs Army
Banned

Battle Record: 6 - 14

Pharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant futurePharaohs Army has a brilliant future

Nice verses boiyz.

@Mr. J
Sometimes if you hit the back button you can get lucky and it populates back to the page you were writing, with your entire verse intact.

Since that can fail too, I'd gotten into the habit of ctrl-c Copying what I'd written so far...once there's a big chunk there.
So if disaster strikes I can ctrl-v Paste and at least save the majority of it.

I don't like writing raps on Word either. and on some phones the Word apostrophes and other characters populate as '?' in a verse... F that... old microsoft notepad is better for netcees.
So if I'm going to write something in more than one sittdown i'll put in notepad.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:41 AM   #32
NYCSPITZ
SYRACUSE

Champed
- Write Night II

Quote:
Ah for sure. That particular branch comes from a monk called Nichiren. He had an interesting life, survived some executions by what some call good luck or divine will. The lotus sutra is deemed as the most powerful sutra. A famous Chan master once said that if you want to find out why the Buddha came to Earth, read the Lotus Sutra. If you want to learn how he attained enlightenment, read the Surangama sutra.
And no I am not against Mahayana, that is my particular resonance, albeit I am inclined towards Chan/ Zen sect. Particularly old school type Chan.

If it made you feel peaceful that's good. If your willing, try chanting the Lotus Sutra one day in Sanskrit, it is even more powerful in effect in my opinion.

And I love Herman Hesse's Siddhartha, wish I could read it in German. One day I suppose. D.T. Susuki was a great scholar, check out his Lavankatara sutra, his greatest translation. And of course your inclined toward Buddhism, i have come to see that it attracts certain minds.

And as for Good vs evil. From the perspective of the great Confucian Mencius, evil doesn't even exist at the presence of true goodness. But relatively evil exists in contrast to good, but since this good is intertwined with evil, it is not true goodness. I think fighting exists because of good and evil, the evil think they are doing good, or they are trying to be good by doing evil. There are a couple of stories where some crazy murderers, psychopaths who would wear a necklace of their victims' fingers, were transformed when they met a being of true goodness.
what minds does it attract....
Old 06-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #33
asylum

YO nice work fellas. you four went hard in the paint.
too bad @UnbornBuddha got no showed.

that was a sick ass verse too. drop it in the OM. i'll drop feed in mag tho.

Last edited by asylum; 06-16-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:42 PM   #34
Razah
rockkFresh

Battle Record: 8-10

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Razah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant futureRazah has a brilliant future

Been busy as shit recently. What sucks is not having time to write for a battle, and then getting a dope idea for that topic 2 days after verses are due.

*shrugs.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:13 PM   #35
UnbornBuddha

Champed
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 5

Quote:
what minds does it attract....
Minds that are aware of the dimensionality of their own suffering, and thus are able to perceive themselves beyond the reality set upon by the confines of social and religious norms. Minds that perceive into the veil of their own enigma, or the riddle of reality. To quote Lao zi "There is nothing better than to know that you don't know. Not knowing, yet thinking you know -- This is sickness. Only when you are sick of being sick can you be cured. The sage is not sick is because he is sick of sickness. Therefore he is not sick".
Old 06-17-2016, 12:23 AM   #36
NYCSPITZ
SYRACUSE

Champed
- Write Night II

Quote:
Minds that are aware of the dimensionality of their own suffering, and thus are able to perceive themselves beyond the reality set upon by the confines of social and religious norms. Minds that perceive into the veil of their own enigma, or the riddle of reality. To quote Lao zi "There is nothing better than to know that you don't know. Not knowing, yet thinking you know -- This is sickness. Only when you are sick of being sick can you be cured. The sage is not sick is because he is sick of sickness. Therefore he is not sick".
I like that quote.

what are your thoughts on the lotus sutra. what do u think it means compared to the surangama sutra and why do both complement each other (as buddhism extols interconnectedness so they must complement each other)? Also What is the chan sect and why are you drawn to it. Do u have a link to the lotus sutra in sanskrit phonetically spelled out in english so one can chant it? What r d Suzuki's thoughts on the lavankatara also? Also do you feel true goodness is a spark routinely witnessed in individuals who are typically ensconsed in the mundane pull between good/evil yin/yang.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:20 AM   #37
UnbornBuddha

Champed
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 5

Quote:
I like that quote.

what are your thoughts on the lotus sutra. what do u think it means compared to the surangama sutra and why do both complement each other (as buddhism extols interconnectedness so they must complement each other)? Also What is the chan sect and why are you drawn to it. Do u have a link to the lotus sutra in sanskrit phonetically spelled out in english so one can chant it? What r d Suzuki's thoughts on the lavankatara also? Also do you feel true goodness is a spark routinely witnessed in individuals who are typically ensconsed in the mundane pull between good/evil yin/yang.
Those are complicated questions. I'll try to answer briefly.

The lotus Sutra can be summarized like Hakuin once said "Outside the mind there is no Lotus Sutra and outside the Lotus Sutra there is no mind". Hakuin is one of the 3 most influential Zen masters in all of Japan's history. The Lotus Sutra's intent is not to teach you anything. The Lotus sutra is about one's Nature. One's nature and the Lotus sutra are one in the same. So when one reads it one has to return to one's nature to really understand it. If not the book seems like a book of cause and effect, when really it is an invocation to allow the One mind to erase you completely, until what emerges is the Lotus. This Lotus is already contained not in you, but not outside of you either. Its not within or without. Its something that must be discovered either instantly or systemically. Buddhism is very methodical and has literally dissected consciousness and existence and their intertwine down to the smallest particles possible. Imagine a grain of sand being exploded into millions of pieces, and the space within these pieces becoming closer to one's being than the grain of sand. The grain of sand represents you. before being deconstructed by practice.
In truth, Buddhism in modern day is very misunderstood, even the Dalai Llama teaches very watered down Buddhism to the lay public. While yes Buddhism teaches about kindness, and all that, that's not really its true goal. Kindness and charity is just something that happens, but Buddhism is about transcending the universe, while not moving at all, staying in the same place.
Yin and yang constitute the whole universe, nuclear fusion of stars, expansion and contraction of the cosmos and heavens, copulation, human birth, death, everything can be seen as a spectrum of yin and yang, as you know. The universe works in cycles, Hinduism and the Vedas speak on this more than most religions or even modern science. Although the Hubra ultra deep field comes closer to what the Vedas were talking about cosmologically.
Therefore, yin and yang is life and death. Buddhism is about transcending life and death. Emptiness, voidness all translations of the word sunyata शून्यता means empty not like nihilism professes. It is more about the emptiness of what your not. The Buddha was very hesistant to speak on what he discovered, which he named the Tathagātagarbha. Which is the womb of the thus-come-one. It is a nameless reality that transcends time and space. And the more one practices the more one is surrounded by this womb. One's heart becomes like a child again as the first stage of true initiation. One reverts back to before life and death ensnared you.
The lotus sutra should not be understood in modern words. I'm sure there are links. But, I'm hesistant to look and give them because it will be a crutch actually. The power in the mantra is not the words themselves, albeit Sanskrit is closer to the essence of what the words were trying to convey. The point of the mantra is to be able to get to the state before the words are spoken. This means recognizing who is it that is chanting. And as one recognizes this the words and that which chants are indistinguishable. Since the words are emanating from it. And as as you forget you, this it or Buddha mind becomes you, so you become a Buddha.
Susuki was a Buddhist laymen. For him to convey the Lankavara as well as he did, he must have understood it pass the rhetoric. Grasping the words themselves are the superficial stage. Important, but also not that important. Also many Sutras contradict each other, from a scholarly and historical standpoint. All I will say they really don't, but to those who don't understand the stages or phases of teachings Siddhartha taught throughout his lifetime, then they'll think there is contradiction. He taught different things to people of different levels and understanding. Just like the Dalai Llama teaches to the lay public, certain things. Things to make them happier. Buddhism is about transcending happiness and suffering all together. The result is a peace that far surpasses bliss. Albeit bliss is also part of the first two stages of the Dhyanas, or meditative trance.
True goodness is something rare nowadays. I'm not sure what you mean by spark, but true goodness is merely a function from one's heavenly or primordial nature. Goodness in a yin yang sense is still closer than evil is because arguably evil brings more suffering than good does. And in the primordial one doesn't suffer, even when one's body is in pain. One could still have pain, but no suffering.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:21 AM   #38
asylum

@Razah @NYCSPITZ

can you guys PLEASE vote?
Old 06-17-2016, 03:01 AM   #39
UnbornBuddha

Champed
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 5

Razah voted.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:34 AM   #40
asylum

shit you right.
@Frank uno mas por favor.
and please explain who the hell dragon is before i close these matches.