Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Vault > Archives > The Netcees archive > AOWL Season 6 Archive

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Battle Record: 36-34

Champed
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

Adonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant future
Default Round One Mag: Step up or down

~Intro~

Hello, this mag may be a bit bare on the surface, but believe it took as much time as I had to spend on it. I have also stepped down from participating in the post season, though I rightfully earned my spot, others were also in need of a spot, and if I can be honest, truly honest, these league is dead man. The voting last week god awful, considering the amount of time asylum and I have put into trying to run this thing smoothly, it just didn't pan out for me. I had @JESODIST talking shit to me about poor record keeping, had @NYCSPITZ pleading with me about changing rules and shit cause he only showed in four battles and felt this was sufficient to earn a playoff birth, I had faggot ass Mike Wrecka show up to help the league for the second time in three seasons and cast a vote against me in the title match, I had numerous people not drop a single vote but then ask where the matches were. I will be available to help @asylum with anything that he needs none mag wise until this season is complete, only because I truly respect him and know exactly how bad he tried to keep this successful. If I were solo modding these playoffs I would not write a mag until the end, and even that would be a small one. Through out the year we wrote mags, these things can take between 4-10 hours a week, no joke, and after posting there would be the same 3-4 people say thank you, and that's it. I don't feel like the soul is in this art form anymore, it's still present with me because I write constantly, but as for the most of you reading this, you're here to read reviews on your own writing that key'd last minute requiring an extension, some times upon extension, then finding time to bitch about topics or voting or any other frivolous thing. Thank you Buddha, Razah (most weeks) patrown, artifice and Mr. J for helping to keep this thing afloat, I wish there were more of us. Adonis is out boys. If there ever is someone else who decides to step up and mod I'll be around under an alias competing, but that's it.

@Diode I believe making me supermod could have helped, but may not have prevented this sudden change of heart. I really did only want what is best for the league and AOWL and site in general, but I was not given the proper help or tools to see this through. Piece bitches, enjoy the rest of your time on earth, I know I will.

~The Mag~

~Writer Bios and Stat Sheet~

Competitor: % of Winning Title
Votes FOR record (%)
Key Losses:
Key Wins:

The Favorites

Artifice: 26.5%
40-14 (.740)
Key Loss:es Asylum
Key Wins: Adonis, Razah x2, Adverse, Mr. J, Timeless & Just Write

It’s no surprise he has the highest ranking as he has only one loss, which came in his first week where asylum shut him out. Artifice has had probably the most impressive single season in AOWL history. He set a few records on the way including tying most title defenses as well most consecutive wins in AOWL history. That’s pretty freaking impressive no? Def is an Alias, we just don’t know who. Art has beat just about every single person in the playoffs, most by shut out, but his only loss was against asylum, which if they both advance, he will have the opportunity to avenge that only loss.

Unbornbuddha 23.5%
UnbornBuddha: 18-21 (.461%)
Key Losses: 2Tripple0, Razah & Timeless
Key Wins:

He’s an easy favorite considering the gauntlet he went through last season. Buddha has been a bit inconsistent this season in all honesty, dropping a few lack luster verses which really is not his MO at all. However, playoffs are a completely different animal and I expect him to revert back to his old style of actually writing and constructing concepts with a very in-depth view and spin in order to create worlds for a voter to dig into. He may just be a tick below Artifice in terms of percentage, but believe he is a real favorite.

A Notch Bellow

Mr. J 12%
Mr. J 33-27 (.550%)
Key Losses: Razah, Frank, Just Write, Artifice, Breathless & Jesodist
Key Wins: Adonis x2, Razah & Asylum

Had a solid season though he never could get over the artifice hump. J beat a good amount of the playoff field, but also lost to a number of them as well. Of the three listed in the “Notch Below” field, I think J might have the slight inside track at broaching the favorite list if he didn’t lack motivation or if he wasn’t the biggest procrastinator in the history. All of this leads to him not reading his full potential, thus not writing until the last second, where he doesn’t write at all, just keys. He often times wins regardless, but would be better off if he actually wrote as I know he has a few times to date.

Frank 12%
Frank: 43-19 (.826%)
Key Losses: Timeless x2 & Breathless
Key Wins: Asylum, Mr. J, Timeless & Razah

Has had a wildly up and down season per usual, this year you were actually less dramatic then usual. You still had a fair amount of no-shows, as you are, and forever will be, king of. You have earned the right to be higher on this list through out the years, unfortunately, the past couple AOWL’s your win rates have all dipped. First season and second you were truly elite, but after that you have had a huge dip in all categories including trying. This may be your best shot at winning that title, and all you have to do is motivate yourself and actually write some of that imagery laden and descriptive driven style that you pull out only ever so often. Should be a fun ride.

Razah 12%
Razah: 38-36 (.513%)
Key Losses: Mr. J, Frank, Artifice x2 & Asylum
Key Wins: Godcomplex, Adonis MMLP & Timeless

You would be higher on this list if you wrote longer. At some point in this tourney you are going to come across a battle where your opponent doubles your line limit, and this will in turn ensure a loss. You’ve beaten a good portion of the contestants left in the field, but your inconsistency at times kills you. That might have come out weird because you very well be the most consistent writer here. What I mean is that, at times, you underperform, and though this might not be a common outcome from you, it has the tendency to happen. Add that to your stubbornness in writing shorter verses, and really you should be lower on this list, but the facts are the facts. You simply win, but I could not in good conscience list you as a favorite.

The Underdogs

Adonis 5%
Adonis: 26-34 (.433%)
Key Losses: Mr. J x2, Asylum, MMLP, Razah & Artifice
Key Wins: Mr. J & Three-Planes-Aligned

I’m that dude, fuck the rest.

Asylum 5%
40-14 (.740)
Key Loss:es Asylum
Key Wins: Adonis, Razah x2, Adverse, Mr. J, Timeless & Just Write

In comparison to last seasons playoffs, this season you’ve greatly underperformed. I know that most of that is due to you modding your first season which takes its toll quickly and easily. I know you haven’t had as much time to write as you would like, but the finish line is now right around the corner. I think you are technically a long shot to win it, but should rightfully have a higher seeding then myself and MMLP. I hope you lose round one though ;). I think you will be more motivated this round then you have in past. I also think this week may very well be your best of the season, and you’ll be hard pressed to match it if you do so advance.

MMLP 4%
18-18 (.500%)
Key Losses: Adverse, Just Write & Razah
Key Wins: Adonis

Lucky to make it, and you draw this seasons unquestionable MVW (most valuable writer). I don’t think you will advance, but I do think you can if you come at your best. This season you had a small sample size, but I know you were inconstant in dropping elite writing as most of the verses your dropped were your typical talent level, then that one outlier. Getting out of round one is your toughest task as the load will lighten up until the finals a bit, if you can advance.

~Predictions~

Artifice vs. MMLP

MMLP hasn’t participated in multiple weeks while Art is fresh off of 12 straight weeks including 5 straight championship bouts, so this truly is the tale of two tapes. While one might be a bit rusty, the other, equally, might be getting a tad burnt out. This is intriguing to me because it seems like LP does his best when he’s facing his toughest opponents, and this is one of those cases. Art has destroyed competition this season, but does have enough no-show wins to take note of. But the battles that do take place, regardless of opponent level, art would rose to the occasion and dismantled every individual. In order for MMLP to win, he will need to construct a concept that can stand on its own, but will also need to execute at a very high rate, basically writing one of the best verses of his life with zero mistakes. Which means he will need to actually sit down and write, which I don’t believe is LP’s strong suit. Art will need to just get the ball moving on that same plane that he has all season long. I think LP will make it closer then most would think going in, but in end will lose a battle by a sizable margin.

Artifice 66%

Asylum vs. NYCSPITZ

I think Asylum can win if he tries and has the time, having the time is always the issue with him though. When he shows and writes I'm sure his record is much better then it shows, but NYC is a monster. I know for a fact that he is in it to win it, he'll pull out all stops and trying to grab that elusive crown. I can see each of these writers putting up a complete and fleshed out work of art, but I'm not convinced that NYC can be beat on his best day unless his competitor is a select few of 4-5 writers who are truly elite. I think Asylum will need to conceptually kill this, taking the unbeaten path, the road less traveled, and molding a topical that stands on it's own. If NYC writes a war saga he can pull it out, but this style has been problamatic before as evidenced by his last finals appearance. I still think he will squeak out a very close battle in votes, my new BOTW by the way.

NYC 55%

Frank vs. Razah BOTW

This is a match of polar opposites if there ever was one. While Frank is best known for stirring the pot, he's also known for being the only person to successfully still use long bar form in AOWL as well as constructing long winded stories. Razah is the exact opposite in every aspect. He keeps his verses to at around 16 lines and uses flow and rhyme as his catalyst to creating a voter friendly style. He’s not much of a ‘out side the box’ thinker in terms of concept or rhyme structure for that matter, but what he does he does well, and that is flow like a breath of fresh air. I expect Frank to actually sit down and flesh a verse out this round, in the end pushing the line limit and just out working his counter part. Razah will need something more developed, but at this point we all know exactly what he’s going to produce. Conceptually he will need to pull a rabbit out of the hat if wishes not to be sent home in the first round. In the end, I think it will be a close battle that will largely based on preference as Frank will go imagery laden story and Razah goes straight topical and flow. I think it will be close, but Frank will squeak by.

Frank 55%

Mr. J vs Unbornbuddha

If I could also make this BOTW I would, but I’m not cheap. J and Buddha no doubt have battled before, in fact the last time I saw Mr. J actually write a full length verse he ended up beating? or Losing? a very close bout against, then, Godcomplex in the Winter Topical 1 I believe. In any case, I recall the battle so that should tell you how good it was. I look for most of the same in all honesty. I think Buddha will be highly motivated to pull this win out and begin his road to hopefully becoming the first ever repeat champion in AOWL history. Meanwhile, J should be hyped himself, creating a concept that most would not have thought of nor had the balls to attempt. The telling factor to me will be Mr. J’s length of verse. If he drops his usual, under 20 lines, I don’t think he’ll stand a chance. But if he writes and is able to flesh out his topical and fill it up, it will be much closer then if not. Buddha can write a movies worth of depth in a short 40 line verse, but he has severely shy’d away from that this entire season, so he might be a bit rusty. I still think this will be close, too close to call almost, if I were a cop-out.

UnbornBuddha 51%

[color=red]~AOWL Season 6 Awards~[/red]

Best Overall season

Artifice x2

Best Voter

NYCSPITZ x2

Most Improved

Jesodist
Timeless

Your Personal Favorite - This is very different then best overall

Adonis
Adverse

Best Newcomer to AOWL

Adverse x2

TUPAC SHAKUR
Old 06-11-2016, 09:47 PM   #2
asylum

Battle Record: 7-5

asylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant future

Thanks for mag bro. I'll take it from here.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:12 PM   #3
Artifice

Battle Record: 17-9

Champed
- Art Of Writing League
- GWL Picture Challenge

Artifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant futureArtifice has a brilliant future

Truly appreciate the mag sir. It's understandable why you've chosen to step away, this season dwindled quickly and the playoffs seem eerily quiet. I'd like to think it means everyone's working hard on their verses, but I highly doubt it.

Personally, I've appreciated what you and @asylum have done this season. I got an email from this site on my old account, decided to come back after 3+ years of not writing at all, and have enjoyed every minute of it. While things have changed quite a bit over the years, it's nice to see a small pocket of people who are still willing to put time and effort into this hobby.

I hope you stick around, even if it is under an alias. Maybe there's not enough time/drive to keep a topical league going constantly. Maybe tournaments are more the way to go? I know there's still a bunch of topical writers who frequent the site but haven't competed this season (@Certain, @PancakeBrah, @quaker oats, @dead man, etc) and some who only competed one or two weeks (@sraL, @Witty, @Pinot Grij) but maybe we could get them to sign onto a tourney. I also saw that @Richard Corey posted in the discussion the other day, it'd be cool if joined up for a tourney if he still writes.

To my fellow playoff competitors, let's dial it in, pick up the slack and end this season on a high note.

On an unrelated note, I am not an alias. Well, I am, but I already said I used to go by MaGiC years ago. I never competed much except on netcees in 2011-2012, but I've been around since 04-05 on freestyling.com and rapleagues. I was on 411hype, b-boys for a bit (as both magic at one point and as Escamoteur for a topical tourney) and even project rhyme and bragginwrites. I've been around, mostly just in open mics. But I feel like I'm writing right now as good as I've ever written, despite just coming back.

Also, if anyone feels like collabing on an open mic piece whenever, shoot me a PM. I'm always down to write (right now at least).
Old 06-12-2016, 02:31 AM   #4
UnbornBuddha

Battle Record: 23-10

Champed
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 5

UnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant futureUnbornBuddha has a brilliant future

Appreciate all the hard work Adonis, as well as Asylum. Your dedication is admirable. Shouts out to Artifice for his deep run. And shout out to J as well, and everybody.
I probably should have been ranked lower in all honesty, but thank you so much either way.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:21 PM   #5
Mr. J
The Clown Prince

Battle Record: 35-45

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Mr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant future

I lold at Rabid folk & Ricocheted Rapid

good job @Adonis
Old 06-16-2016, 04:04 AM   #6
asylum

Battle Record: 7-5

asylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant futureasylum has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbornBuddha View Post
Appreciate all the hard work Adonis, as well as Asylum. Your dedication is admirable. Shouts out to Artifice for his deep run. And shout out to J as well, and everybody.
I probably should have been ranked lower in all honesty, but thank you so much either way.
no hay de que.