Old 07-14-2021, 09:33 AM   #41
Universe
Everything's Connected

Battle Record: 19-8

Champed
- Guerrilla Writing League(2x)
- GWL Picture challenge(2x)
- Art of Writing League

Universe has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant future

Warning: I'm about to go full retard (Answer) here...

Royce is dope af... no argument from me. He is more culturally aware than Em, finger on the pulse and all that. 'Book of Ryan' is an absolute masterpiece of an album - "Cocaine" being one of the best hip-hop songs in a long while. But it was a good song because the heart behind it; the story and the chorus and how REAL it was. Lyrically, it was meh at best. And I can say that because I'm a huge fan.

But when talking about best pen game, we gotta be talking LYRICS here, guys and gals. That's the debate, not who makes better music.

So, the reason why most of you are dismissing Em is because he doesn't really "say anything" anymore... Okay, fair point. Is he out of touch? Sure. He's the fucking Howard Hughes of rap; Probably pissing in mason jars while writing bars in his notepad, growing a 'weird' beard and forcing people to get into his toy airplane named The Spruce Goose at gunpoint... But the fact remains, lyrically, he almost never stumbles, if at all.

I've looked. I've listened.

The people that think Em ain't shit also probably thought MGK won the battle they had because he said more catchy lines and personals... But lyrically he was NOWHERE NEAR Em on those tracks. MGK rhymed maybe 3 syllables once every 6 bars instead of his usual 1 or 2 syllables, and most of those were mistakes and/or broken up lazily by other words - he just got lucky in the cases where he did connect. The overall rhyme was "good for him", Em even admitted as much, but there's so much more that needs to go into a verse nowadays. Em was hitting with punchlines and rhyming entire bars, and elongating them out through rhyme schemes that created even more punchlines and rhyme schemes in the process. His rhymes give birth.

But people liked MGK's last two syllables better, so he "won"... Ain't that fucking precious.

So what's the point I'm making? Because no one is talking about MGK in the same breath as Eminem here, or anywhere.

My point is that Em has always had an insane level of detail in his verses, and it often goes overlooked because we are used to it now. Even on 'Relapse' where he had absolutely ZERO to say and even less punchlines, he still was almost flawless in multi's, rhyme schemes and syllable counts. Break down Royce's best verses - He will be off here and there in multi's because honestly he doesn't give a shit - Em does. That's why you will rarely find a bar that doesn't connect in insane ways. His double entendres are the best in the business. And his ability to keep a rhyme scheme going on for crazy amounts of time (sometimes an entire song, see 'Legacy' on MMLP 2) puts him in a league of his own. That's what also sets him apart from Thought, who is technically sound as Em over an 100m dash ('Yah Yah'), but won't compete in a marathon.

Again, I've looked into this.

But don't take my word for it, read it from the man himself.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nme...-2639098%3famp

So is Em in the debate for best ever? Absolutely. Is he as good as he was in connecting with his audience? Not even close. Is he as good as he was lyrically? Guys, he's way better.

Is Royce & Black Thought dope? Absolutely. But are they 'hide lyrics inside other lyrics like trap doors for people to find later', dope?

Nope.

Do they have Rain Man's attention to detail when he's counting fallen toothpicks on a dirty diner floor and applying that to syllable counts?

Nope.

There's levels to this shit... But unfortunately, the artist is only as good as the audiences ability to perceive what's being said. As Heath Ledger's Joker famously put it, "I'm not a monster... I'm just ahead of the curve."

It's okay to admit that the curve might just take you right back to where you started.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:59 AM   #42
dull boy
consults Lloyd

Battle Record: 0-8

Champed
-1-2 Punch League Roast

dull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Answer View Post
Eminem hasnt been anywhere near top tier since 8 mile and royce has been putting on clinics left and right for well over 13 years now. It's not even a competition, royce is better
Disagree

(edit)

didn't realize Uni had gone full autistic (appreciate the heads up) in his answer.

If you think Em hasn't been at his peak since 8 Mile then you stopped listening. Justifiable, but I assume anyone with this opinion is basing it off of Encore, Relapse and Recovery.

Eminem is the top selling artist of the last yada yada and it creates a situation where a majority of his fans are annoying and largely uninformed. His fan base is part of the tarnish on his reputation. Another part is his largely hidden mental breakdown. Encore through Recovery was him learning how to write again. Personally, I love Relapse, and Recovery is him trying to blend in a more commercial or palatable sound. It didn't necessarily work for most people who love Hip Hop. Worked for the masses. The way he writes concepts since Recovery has improved 3 fold, but he's been written off.

Em's persona is a cultivated cartoon that it seems even he resents, at times. He can't compete with Black Thought from that perspective. If they battled Em wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on angles wise, but speaking strictly lyrically, Em is way better than him or Royce and it's not close.

Last edited by dull boy; 07-14-2021 at 11:24 AM.
dull boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #43
Amen
As-salamu alaykum!

Battle Record: 19-8

Champed
- 1-2 Punch League Season 6

Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen

Em one of the GOATS - there is no debate.

Thanks.
Amen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:01 PM   #44
BOOM

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

respectfully disagree.
BOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:02 PM   #45
BOOM

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe View Post
Warning: I'm about to go full retard (Answer) here...

Royce is dope af... no argument from me. He is more culturally aware than Em, finger on the pulse and all that. 'Book of Ryan' is an absolute masterpiece of an album - "Cocaine" being one of the best hip-hop songs in a long while. But it was a good song because the heart behind it; the story and the chorus and how REAL it was. Lyrically, it was meh at best. And I can say that because I'm a huge fan.

But when talking about best pen game, we gotta be talking LYRICS here, guys and gals. That's the debate, not who makes better music.

So, the reason why most of you are dismissing Em is because he doesn't really "say anything" anymore... Okay, fair point. Is he out of touch? Sure. He's the fucking Howard Hughes of rap; Probably pissing in mason jars while writing bars in his notepad, growing a 'weird' beard and forcing people to get into his toy airplane named The Spruce Goose at gunpoint... But the fact remains, lyrically, he almost never stumbles, if at all.

I've looked. I've listened.

The people that think Em ain't shit also probably thought MGK won the battle they had because he said more catchy lines and personals... But lyrically he was NOWHERE NEAR Em on those tracks. MGK rhymed maybe 3 syllables once every 6 bars instead of his usual 1 or 2 syllables, and most of those were mistakes and/or broken up lazily by other words - he just got lucky in the cases where he did connect. The overall rhyme was "good for him", Em even admitted as much, but there's so much more that needs to go into a verse nowadays. Em was hitting with punchlines and rhyming entire bars, and elongating them out through rhyme schemes that created even more punchlines and rhyme schemes in the process. His rhymes give birth.

But people liked MGK's last two syllables better, so he "won"... Ain't that fucking precious.

So what's the point I'm making? Because no one is talking about MGK in the same breath as Eminem here, or anywhere.

My point is that Em has always had an insane level of detail in his verses, and it often goes overlooked because we are used to it now. Even on 'Relapse' where he had absolutely ZERO to say and even less punchlines, he still was almost flawless in multi's, rhyme schemes and syllable counts. Break down Royce's best verses - He will be off here and there in multi's because honestly he doesn't give a shit - Em does. That's why you will rarely find a bar that doesn't connect in insane ways. His double entendres are the best in the business. And his ability to keep a rhyme scheme going on for crazy amounts of time (sometimes an entire song, see 'Legacy' on MMLP 2) puts him in a league of his own. That's what also sets him apart from Thought, who is technically sound as Em over an 100m dash ('Yah Yah'), but won't compete in a marathon.

Again, I've looked into this.

But don't take my word for it, read it from the man himself.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nme...-2639098%3famp

So is Em in the debate for best ever? Absolutely. Is he as good as he was in connecting with his audience? Not even close. Is he as good as he was lyrically? Guys, he's way better.

Is Royce & Black Thought dope? Absolutely. But are they 'hide lyrics inside other lyrics like trap doors for people to find later', dope?

Nope.

Do they have Rain Man's attention to detail when he's counting fallen toothpicks on a dirty diner floor and applying that to syllable counts?

Nope.

There's levels to this shit... But unfortunately, the artist is only as good as the audiences ability to perceive what's being said. As Heath Ledger's Joker famously put it, "I'm not a monster... I'm just ahead of the curve."

It's okay to admit that the curve might just take you right back to where you started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dull boy View Post
Disagree

(edit)

didn't realize Uni had gone full autistic (appreciate the heads up) in his answer.

If you think Em hasn't been at his peak since 8 Mile then you stopped listening. Justifiable, but I assume anyone with this opinion is basing it off of Encore, Relapse and Recovery.

Eminem is the top selling artist of the last yada yada and it creates a situation where a majority of his fans are annoying and largely uninformed. His fan base is part of the tarnish on his reputation. Another part is his largely hidden mental breakdown. Encore through Recovery was him learning how to write again. Personally, I love Relapse, and Recovery is him trying to blend in a more commercial or palatable sound. It didn't necessarily work for most people who love Hip Hop. Worked for the masses. The way he writes concepts since Recovery has improved 3 fold, but he's been written off.

Em's persona is a cultivated cartoon that it seems even he resents, at times. He can't compete with Black Thought from that perspective. If they battled Em wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on angles wise, but speaking strictly lyrically, Em is way better than him or Royce and it's not close.

Em garb tho
BOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:18 PM   #46
Destroyer
Bags will be avenged

Battle Record: 85-58

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- Gimmick Battle League
- 1-2 Punch League (5x)
- Fight Night LXXIX
- Fight Night 4
- Netcees Battle League (2x)
- NPL Roast

Destroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant future

you wrote three words back?

fuck off
philosophy.
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:43 PM   #47
Answer
He / Him / His

Battle Record: 20-1

Champed
- Summer Classic IX
- Netcees Battle League
- Fight night 15

Answer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
you wrote three words back?

fuck off
Don't worry, I got this
Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:01 PM   #48
dead man
living

Battle Record: 33-18

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- AOWL Season 1
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 4
- Write Week V
- GWL Season 1

dead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant future

Toss up between DZK and Warbux
Old 07-14-2021, 06:26 PM   #49
dull boy
consults Lloyd

Battle Record: 0-8

Champed
-1-2 Punch League Roast

dull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant futuredull boy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead man View Post
Toss up between DZK and Warbux
Was always partial to Wird Herts, myself

Keep it suburban
dull boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:27 PM   #50
Blue Bayou
Ukrainian Howlitzers

Battle Record: 41-24

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- NBL Season 3
- Alias Tournament II
- Fight Night XLVIII
- Fight Night XXV
- Fight Night XV
- Fight Night (3x)
- Netcees Battle League (4x)
- NBL Tag Team Season 3
- Lyric Olympics
- 1-2 Punch League (3x)
- Battle Arena League (2x)
- Key Grand Prix 2018 1/2
- BA Tag
- NPL Roast
- Netcees Pic League

Blue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant futureBlue Bayou has a brilliant future

Vote Nimrod
-kungfugrip
Blue Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:30 PM   #51
Answer
He / Him / His

Battle Record: 20-1

Champed
- Summer Classic IX
- Netcees Battle League
- Fight night 15

Answer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant future

still typing furiously in response to universe
Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:55 PM   #52
Cereal
killa

Battle Record: 1-6

Cereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant future

vote = all four
dzk, warbux, wordhurtz, nimrod - and cire/point game
Old 07-14-2021, 06:56 PM   #53
Cereal
killa

Cereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant future

i did a track with dzk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx82sZnBEaA
Old 07-14-2021, 06:58 PM   #54
Cereal
killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOM View Post
respectfully disagree.
im with you, you cant have one good album then be a goat, when other cats one album is better and still fanned for atleast two.. pos repped for that :)
Old 07-14-2021, 07:05 PM   #55
kungfugrip

kungfugrip has a brilliant futurekungfugrip has a brilliant futurekungfugrip has a brilliant futurekungfugrip has a brilliant futurekungfugrip has a brilliant futurekungfugrip has a brilliant futurekungfugrip has a brilliant futurekungfugrip has a brilliant futurekungfugrip has a brilliant futurekungfugrip has a brilliant futurekungfugrip has a brilliant future

Benny the Butcher
kungfugrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:06 PM   #56
kungfugrip

kungfugrip has a brilliant futurekungfugrip has a brilliant futurekungfugrip has a brilliant futurekungfugrip has a brilliant futurekungfugrip has a brilliant futurekungfugrip has a brilliant futurekungfugrip has a brilliant futurekungfugrip has a brilliant futurekungfugrip has a brilliant futurekungfugrip has a brilliant futurekungfugrip has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharaohs Army View Post
About the storytelling note: I think Nas is a better storyteller than Em.
All Em's stories seem to be about his Mom or his ex.

They both great tho.

And yeah Black Thought some sick memorized frees. Great stuff
Eminem is one of the worst rappers ever. He belongs somewhere between 30-50 on anyone who is a real rap fan's list
Old 07-14-2021, 07:07 PM   #57
kungfugrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPN Zuch View Post
That’s not how the lyrics goes you wet-brain retard.
Im crying
Old 07-14-2021, 07:08 PM   #58
kungfugrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracture View Post
royce aint shit
Hes a better rapper than Eminem

That's a fact.
Old 07-14-2021, 07:12 PM   #59
kungfugrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe View Post
The people that think Em ain't shit also probably thought MGK won the battle they had because he said more catchy lines and personals... But lyrically he was NOWHERE NEAR Em on those tracks. .
If Eminem made an album full of the dopeness he put on MGK and Mariah Carey he'd be the Greatest of All Time and i couldn't dispute it.
Old 07-14-2021, 07:15 PM   #60
kungfugrip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzHnNPLWsDQ

Come on. You can't fuck with THIS Eminem