Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Vault > Archives > The Netcees archive > AOWL Season 4 Archive

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Battle Record: 36-34

Champed
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

Adonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant future
Default Week 1: NYCSPITZ vs. Objective [NYCSPITZ wins, 9-1.]

Verses will be due Thursday Oct. 2nd at 11:59 p.m. Western / 2:59 Am Eastern / 7:59AM UK. There are no Extensions. No Exceptions.

Verses must be a minimum of 10 Lines and maximum of 48 Lines or 650 words unless agreed upon by both competitors.

Votes will be due Sundays at 11:59 p.m. Western / 2:59 Am Eastern / 7:59AM UK .

View Other Rules Here

Goodluck

@NYCSPITZ @Objective

Topic:

TUPAC SHAKUR

Last edited by Adonis; 09-25-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #2
NYCSPITZ
SYRACUSE

Battle Record: 31-37

Champed
- Write Night II
- Alias Topical Tournament

NYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant future

a lone leper scurries hurriedly 'cross the desolate square
uncovers a manhole - he descends into the mess of his lair
sewage flow and rats precede his now militant stride...
quicken pace - he's the strongest evil magician alive.
listen with eyes: his shit'll cross, criss and divide
the lavish chamber's green globe glows - Viridian's Eye
raising his hands to the heavens, a question arises
fuck humanity, but...will the weapon survive this --???

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monks black robed: distanced by miles atop of the globe
encircle an enormous pentagram - they begin chanting in possible code
their arms spread in perfect synchronistic domino mode
swearing allegiance to the Death Society's Jeronimo Oath...
The fierce winds stop: something penetrates the tundra and silence
it's intangible in the air - the promise of plunder and violence.
clouds block satellite views as fires form on the icy surface
with a cloak's swish - they disappear with a delighted purpose.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A mother nurtures her baby as her husband stands with the crewmen in deck
chilling in underground caves - the final vestiges of humanity left
where there's a will there's a way. A single purpose keeps their vanity checked
They fled here, to Pangea's Womb when sanity left.
seventy million strong! These submerged bubbles below bellow the heritage
Their leader talks to them now, these humans rapt in their skeletal variance
a man scurries to the curtain. wiping his sly face clean, he takes the pedestal arrogant...
as he subliminally flashes pentagrams and ancients oaths; he's feral in management
wearing a grim face on the telescreen, he starts to seethe...

"My fellow Americans."

Last edited by NYCSPITZ; 10-02-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
Objective
( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

Battle Record: 17-32

Objective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant future

Everyone's mind is a design refined from definitions,
so tell me what you are if you're stripped for superstitions.
In the midst of these conditions a monster is formed,
humanity's blancing the energy that holds the eye of the storm.
If you're outsourcing the norm stop forcing yourself to conform,
the reform of evolution within illuminates the reason to transform.
When you try to stay warm yet your heart is holding you back,
what makes you think the answers to life will help you on track?
Your face vanished to make room for the snakes to guard your multiple graves,
these creatures assassinate several versions of yourself and make monstreous waves.
Sure, you weren't blinded by the truth given by slaves... You just consumed it all,
so the vulcanic eruptions of your inner Hell of lies could make sure that you fall.
The irritation of your convictions could strip George Carlin for fun,
when the laughter has ended it's because the eye itself is master of none.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV8ozGcGJ6o
Old 10-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
Mr. J
The Clown Prince

Battle Record: 35-45

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Mr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant future

This should have been my first pick to vote on in my return

I felt both writers had a real blanced.....type of view on their topic
shout out to Objective and spelling errors alike, but I enjoyed both verses
and had he came a little stronger in his piece and a little more dedicated
I may have voted for him here, but where you set the tone you lost the...
what's the word I'm looking for....balance of the piece and your overall written
well not overall, just more...I don't know, you should have done more...
that's what I'm trying to say, and for me to critique NYC right now....
well I could do so but let's just go ahead and give him the vote shall we?
a word of advice @Objective, work on finishing what you started...
it would do you well in the end

v/NYC
Old 10-04-2014, 02:06 AM   #5
theMuzzl3

Battle Record: 2-6

theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3 theMuzzl3

First off, best image I have seen in this comp so far. Love the all seeing eye -- Masonry + more influences.
Congrats @Adonis

NYCSPITZ:

Everything you wrote was well structured, well worded, and had a theme that you stuck to. It was very inspiring, to say the least. I don't know how much time you spent researching the words and symbolic nature of the picture. In fact, its not a 5 star (pentagram), its not even six sided but the three sides representing pyramid and the 'all seeing eye' stand out to me the most… along with serpents guarding the circle.

Your verse did not go "perfectly" with the image, but your interpretation and the story you told within your own interpretation was very well established and perfectly executed.

I could not find any grammatical mistakes and you are obviously well educated in the English language, and more. I had to use google define several times, which always makes me happy (to learn).

I give you a 9.5/10

Objective:

Your over-all message was very good. The structure was above average. Referring to George Carlin, I don't think was the best idea… but thats the writer's choice, and it led into your last line: your message became clear. I don't think the over all execution was the best, and some lines I feel were placed in order to keep an over-all flow.

There are some misspelled words (not docking on that). One (which I am not sure of) is "stripped for" could be "stripped of". Also "conditions a monster" should be "conditions, a monster" -- not too sure on that either. You misspelled balancing. Other errors which may or may have not been to keep a consistent flow… but again, I do not dock points for grammatical or spelling errors… it just means you needed more time to reread what you wrote.

Over all score = 6.5/10

/v NYSCRIPTZ
theMuzzl3 AKA Malibu's Most Wanted

Last edited by theMuzzl3; 10-04-2014 at 02:11 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:31 PM   #6
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Battle Record: 2-5

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

PancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond repute

NYCSPITZ-

Pretty cool. Your strength is definitely your knack for storytelling in a text verse style. Good writing throughout, especially in the first and last sections. Not much to say. A strong verse with a Frank-eque finish.

Objective-

This was alright. The '-orm' rhymes definitely got a bit redundant in the middle of this verse. Overall solid, just didn't really wow me or anything. Some good lines, no glaring mistakes. Could've used a bit more, I think?

There's less to say when the verses aren't bad like some of other battles I've trudged through. There was nothing 'wrong' with Objective's verse at all, it was kind of just there, though. NYC didn't have his best verse, but it was good and had a bit more interest in it. Solid battle here.

v/NYC
And the ditch in the back road stop
Could you find me?
Old 10-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Battle Record: 36-34

Champed
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

Adonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant future

Ob - for what you provided, this was an enjoyable read. There really isn't anything I disliked other than the lack of length and complete-ness.

NY - the opening description in the first two stanzas were a very clear backdrop to what was going on. The flow was precise and pace of story moved at a rapid pace that held a peeked interest.

Overall, NY had the better verse.

TUPAC SHAKUR
Old 10-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
big baby
obsessed

Battle Record: Faggot-1

Accomplishments
- can recite entirety of shrek 2

Champed
- tangoed with spider man behind scenes in spider-man 2
- was candidate for gerber baby 3x
- smush parker like bb comment on instagram saying "u fucka suck idiyote"
- smush beer on head and didn't cry
- parallel parked in between 2 ferrari's in tonky truck once
- when saying pledge of allegiance i said "i don't" lmao deadass bb satan
- won tshirt from taco bell saying "taco cat" is the same backwards for filling out 500 surveys in a
- neighbor house caught on fire i call FIRE department and saved lives, was in newspaper
- set neighbor house on fire lmao
- fuck neighbor husband and wife
- first fish caught resembled david ortiz
- colin kaepernick
- related to genghis khan
- elected assistant to the vice president assistant to the president for regional chess club
- never lost game of hide and seek

big baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to big baby

thought nyc sucked really bad and objective outshun him.
NYC just uses super large words that make no sense. His take on the topic was subpar

Objective was easier on the eyes and actually made sense a lot. Which I think you're supposed to do..hmmm.....!!!!!!!!!!!!

v/objective
If mentioned in a discussion its who'd still use wordy lines and act all dope
Then again hes had this schtick so long he like bb da bb da bb thats all folks
Old 10-06-2014, 12:16 AM   #9
CopyPat
Mic Check

Battle Record: 13-10

CopyPat has a brilliant futureCopyPat has a brilliant futureCopyPat has a brilliant futureCopyPat has a brilliant futureCopyPat has a brilliant futureCopyPat has a brilliant futureCopyPat has a brilliant futureCopyPat has a brilliant futureCopyPat has a brilliant futureCopyPat has a brilliant futureCopyPat has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to CopyPat

kinda boring to be honest. ncy had more vocab more story and better rhymes and more interesting of a read. obj was just too boring, not much going on. rhymes were hella basic. i didnt like this battle. but nyc did more with the pic and also had that nice little ending so he gets my vote

v:nyc
Old 10-06-2014, 12:38 AM   #10
kannon
kickthekan

Battle Record: 9-6

Champed
- The Mic Check

kannon has a brilliant futurekannon has a brilliant futurekannon has a brilliant futurekannon has a brilliant futurekannon has a brilliant futurekannon has a brilliant futurekannon has a brilliant futurekannon has a brilliant futurekannon has a brilliant futurekannon has a brilliant futurekannon has a brilliant future

NYCS. I feel like the few pieces of yours that I have read tend to be a bit vague, so it's nice to see this a little more direct. I have a slight issue with the line, "listen with eyes," just because I can't, for the life of me, make it make sense in my brain. I'm also not sure how I feel about your uncertainty in whether or not the monks were chanting in code. As the author of this piece, I feel like you should know haha. I feel like I'm being too finicky now. The piece is pretty good. It started out seeming like a secret society of sorts, and with all of the Masonic imagery in the topic picture, it makes sense. But in the end, it almost sounds more like a Matrix-esque army of rebels who were seeking refuge from some sort of threat to humanity. I just feel like there was maybe one more stanza that would have completed this story. We're not sure if this group of people is being led by a psychopath, or if they are indeed safe in an underground compound. It's a great start to a story, it just feels like the ending is missing. Cause it's a little anti-climactic where you ended it... Oh, shit. Unless this is just literally about the president and the USA. Nevermind. I get it now. We're all the assholes.

Objective. The flow of your piece started out super strong, but as I kept reading the lines kept getting longer, which was weird. But anyways... Story wise, this was pretty cool. I felt like the rhymes were super basic in the middle. Transform/Conform/Reform/Formed. Sounds less like you're rhyming and more like we're just reading the same word over and over again. I feel like your ideas got a little too abstract towards the end, to the point where it kinda started to lose meaning. In the end, it felt a bit unfinished, but based on the piece's length, I feel like you maybe didn't put 100% into this one. It ended up just kinda okay.

Vote is for New York City Spits
Old 10-06-2014, 12:45 AM   #11
Pent uP
Robin Williams of Fallen Victims

Battle Record: 25-11

Accomplishments
- NC Hall of Fame

Champed
- Netcees Writers League (2x)
- NWL Season 1
- Write Night I
- Art of Writing League (2x)
- Write Week IV

Pent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant futurePent uP has a brilliant future

Nyc - pretty solid. Little bit of misdirection but overall pretty predictable. Less solid than your alias work. Nothing really to say about this piece...it was a setup and execute kind of deal and you did that.

Objective -- this was boring to me. Grammatical mistakes and weak rhymes made this a chore to get through. The message in this wasnt anything special and the effort behind it felt flat. Not much to take away from this

Vote nyc

Last edited by Pent uP; 10-06-2014 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:04 AM   #12
Pinot Grij

Battle Record: 23-19

Accomplishments
- OM HOF

Champed
- Fight Night 2
- Write Week V
- Netcees Battle League (2x)
- Winter Topical II
- 1-2 Punch league

Pinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant futurePinot Grij has a brilliant future

NYC, I guess the president was sent by Satanic priests? I don't know man, I found it hard to follow... this reads nice but on closer inspection, it just comes off as window dressing... "chanting in possible code" "their arms spread in perfect synchronistic domino mode" "tundra and silence" "skeletal variance" "feral in management"... like, most of that stuff makes zero sense, but when all put together it sounds nice enough.

Objective.. this was pretty played imo. The angle, the delivery - it all seemed very basic. They were rhymes from like a late-80s rap star ensemble track trying to get kids to believe in themselves.

Vote for NYC. I found a lack of coherency in some of the stuff you said, but on pure technical execution, you demonstrated more skills than Objective who came with something far too simplistic to garner a vote... and I'm sure he's able to bring it harder than that.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:11 AM   #13
Frank

Champed
- NWL Season 2
- Art of Writing League (5x)
- AOWL Season 6
- AOWL Season 10

Frank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant future

Vote - NYCSPITZ

Decent battle, decent battle indeed. Objective used his adjectives objectively and carroll's the pictures identity by doing so. NYC does the same, only with greater creativity, though less upstanding with his approach, NYC creates a more distinguished world with much better mechanical technique.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:18 AM   #14
King Ra.
The Throne, The Crown

Battle Record: 21-35

King Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant futureKing Ra. has a brilliant future

NYCSPITZ, wins 9-1.

Tags
nycspitz irrelevant, nycspitz takes another l