Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Forum > Discussion Board

User Tag List

Old 11-08-2019, 11:47 AM   #21
Kill Spree

Battle Record: 3-3

Kill Spree has a brilliant futureKill Spree has a brilliant futureKill Spree has a brilliant futureKill Spree has a brilliant futureKill Spree has a brilliant futureKill Spree has a brilliant futureKill Spree has a brilliant futureKill Spree has a brilliant futureKill Spree has a brilliant futureKill Spree has a brilliant futureKill Spree has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunto View Post
Dope beat Len but I bet you any money that amen can do it better
Lmao

@Lenox you showing for your battle in LLL
Kill Spree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #22
Lenox
Hungry

Battle Record: 1-5

Lenox has a brilliant futureLenox has a brilliant futureLenox has a brilliant futureLenox has a brilliant futureLenox has a brilliant futureLenox has a brilliant futureLenox has a brilliant futureLenox has a brilliant futureLenox has a brilliant futureLenox has a brilliant futureLenox has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunto View Post
Dope beat Len but I bet you any money that amen can do it better
Thx

I have a new found respect for the ***....real men shoot heroin....pussy boys smoke weed
Lenox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #23
Lenox
Hungry

Lenox has a brilliant futureLenox has a brilliant futureLenox has a brilliant futureLenox has a brilliant futureLenox has a brilliant futureLenox has a brilliant futureLenox has a brilliant futureLenox has a brilliant futureLenox has a brilliant futureLenox has a brilliant futureLenox has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Raptor- View Post
Lmao

@Lenox you showing for your battle in LLL
Yea

I have a new found respect for the ***....real men shoot heroin....pussy boys smoke weed
Old 11-08-2019, 12:41 PM   #24
Lenox
Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnydot View Post
Uh oh is the drum king. He likes more live drum sounds, whereas i usually prefer 808 sounding drums. Uh oh likes the East Coast style samples where its mostly soul and he can layer the existing drum patterns and accentuate the original sound. Its nice because he will filter the lows and pump the bass out of the original sample and the live sounds work together to make it sound like it was always supposed to sound like that.

Me, I like to filter out the lows completely and play my own bass lines. So I need the super mega hard hitting drums to smash through the lows I just created. Even in the last beat I posted I distorted the bass to make that shit POP.

As far as patterns go, so literally the spots where youre playing your drums. Try and listen to your sample and play along with the loop you created. So when the kick drum drops you try and hit it exactly. Snare drums are almost always on the 5th beat. So KICK-2-3-4-SNARE.
Thanks bro

https://soundcloud.com/139_lenox/fog

This any better?

Old 11-08-2019, 07:17 PM   #25
Finnydot

Champed
- Beat Battle I

Finnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant future

Ill check it tonight
Finnydot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #26
Finnydot

Champed
- Beat Battle I

Finnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant futureFinnydot has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenox View Post
Thanks bro

https://soundcloud.com/139_lenox/fog

This any better?
The loop itself was off. I don't know what you're using to make beats, but the loop sounds like there was an extra beat, or that first beat was late to the rest of the sample.

Drums themselves SOUNDED good, but the pattern didn't match the loop.

I can tell you're trying different things tho, so keep building. Don't take any of this feedback negatively, you're improving.

If this is something you want to do then keep with it. Only time will make you better, trust.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:33 PM   #27
Lenox
Hungry

Quote:
The loop itself was off. I don't know what you're using to make beats, but the loop sounds like there was an extra beat, or that first beat was late to the rest of the sample.

Drums themselves SOUNDED good, but the pattern didn't match the loop.

I can tell you're trying different things tho, so keep building. Don't take any of this feedback negatively, you're improving.

If this is something you want to do then keep with it. Only time will make you better, trust.
Hey man thanks for giving me detailed feedback. I agreed with everything u said

Old 11-14-2019, 08:35 PM   #28
Lenox
Hungry

It seems like every day I feel like improving. Like with the fog beat I thought it was a good slight improvement. But now today and look at it and I’m like the beat i made today seems way better. So I guess that’s always a positive

https://soundcloud.com/139_lenox/old-daze :P

Old 11-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #29
Kill Spree

Kill Spree has a brilliant futureKill Spree has a brilliant futureKill Spree has a brilliant futureKill Spree has a brilliant futureKill Spree has a brilliant futureKill Spree has a brilliant futureKill Spree has a brilliant futureKill Spree has a brilliant futureKill Spree has a brilliant futureKill Spree has a brilliant futureKill Spree has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yea
No
Kill Spree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:23 AM   #30
Finnydot

Champed
- Beat Battle I

Quote:
It seems like every day I feel like improving. Like with the fog beat I thought it was a good slight improvement. But now today and look at it and I’m like the beat i made today seems way better. So I guess that’s always a positive

Timing was better on the loop and the drums. So progress. You have a good ear for samples too. I think your starting point is better than most people just getting into this. You find a good sample, but ive noticed youre sticking to one style. Not a bad thing, but MASTERING the boom bap is tough. Soulful samples are good, but dont leave much wiggle room for STYLE imo. Soul samples are best with live sounding drums, which you have. So youre on the right path. And the fact its simple gives more room for intri***ies that uh oh and peezy have mastered. Theres levels to this shit....

Problems... As stated, the most popular way to get around a simple sample, not very many variations is filtering. I learned this from uh oh a long time ago. You SPLIT the sample in half. Basically when youre mixing, you have one track play the high frequency (treble) and then you have a SEPARATE track play the low frequency (bass). Play them both and you lose middle, so if you dont mix it right it can sound more empty, if that makes sense. Like I said, I usually only sample the high frequencies and that allows me to play my own bass lines that play off the sample. When youre filtering back in the bass you can pump it up to give you that sub hit, but you gotta have drums that dont TAKE AWAY from the original bass line. I listened on my phone speakers so I cant say what all you did exactly, but the drum SOUNDS you used didnt COMPLIMENT the original sample IMO. Instead they sounded processed. Meaning, they were LIVE DRUM SOUNDS but had effects to get a weird murky middle. Those can be fun too, but in this case I wasnt a fan.

Also, while separating the bass, usually a bit of the original high sample is still there. This can separate the HOOK from the VERSE. in this case, you built your loop and let it run. Build that shot man... Make that sample go away and come back in different places. This gives variety. You can also make minor changes to your drum patterns for effect. In this specific case, your sample has words. When youre chopping loops with vocals there are usually certain parts of the song where theres OOOHS and AHHHS and those little parts can offer a 1-2 bar break. So in this one, you could run the same loop for 8 bars, 2 full cycles of your 4 bar loop, and then on the LAST BAR or two throw in a OOOOHH AHHHHH and then go RIGHT back into your original loop. But THIS time you run 16 bars of the same 8 bar loop, so 2 full cycles of the now 8 bar loop, but then im ONLY getting the lows so now I'm rapping. Bring BACK your original 8 bar loop, theres your hook again.

Intro 4-8 bars, never longer. 8 bar hook or 16 bar verse to start...depending how you feel. Sometimes its good to save the hook. Then when you get that done, give yourself another verse. Run the hook twice and fade out. This is called FORMATTING. Your giving your artist variations to break and build a SONG.

During your formatting you may want to pull out drums here and there for added effect. Example, in my drums I like to kill all drums on bar 8 of my hook. So your hook is 8 bars, but your drums only go 7. This can get tricky as sometimes its best to keep that very FIRST kick on bar number 8. So if a bar (or measure) is 4 BEATS. basically, you want that kick drum on 1. What I mean by this is if you literally count 1,2,3,4-2,2,3,4-3,2,3,4-4,2,3,4 thats 4 measures. Your beat making program will usually have a CLICK feature or a METRONOME. This sets your tempo. It will,count for you. There are infinite possibilities with bar counts but this is basically rhythm 101. This is basic shit. There are 3/4 tempos 5/12 but hip hop, rock, and most music is 4/4.

Basically man... Lol just switch it up sometimes. Pull drums, like completely remove them. Sometimes kill all drums except your hi hats. Sometimes only play the bass drum. Sometimes have all your drums run but filter them to only low frequencies or only hi frequencies. Sometimes drop THE ENTIRE BEAT for a half bar.

Research formatting. It is an art form. I told Peezy his overall beat arcs are some of the best. I use simplicity as a weapon. My beats have slight variations so when I DO drop its more effective. Whereas beat drops and switches is more of an uh oh mastery thing. He got on me for years for not varying AT ALL. and HIS shit has so many variations sometimes its like "it was alwqys supposed to be like that".

Idk bro... Thwres levels to this shit.

ALL of us here tho will say primo is the best at making a 4 bar loop with NO variations and that ITSELF is an art because a 4 bar loop that never changes can be more effective cuz you dont get tired of it.

Levels man.

I'm on level 3,000 and still have a long way to,go.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:42 AM   #31
Finnydot

Champed
- Beat Battle I

Quote:

Listen to FEEL ME YET by Infinity Tha relliK on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/infinitytharellik/feel-me-yet

So this is a good example. 8 bar intro with light drums. Its really a single loop with no chops. So the BUILD is STRICLY drums with 1 piano stab. Its simple, but the drums carry the variations. Loop never changes.

Listen to LETS GET IT FIN by Infinity Tha relliK on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/infinitythare...ets-get-it-fin

Simple, loop again. Played my own bassline again, I think this is the same exact kick too. But I will simply chop the original sample harder and drop drums for build. Ive really been trying to get better at the trap style drums over the years so I can get more stylish in my drops.

Last edited by Finnydot; 11-16-2019 at 04:46 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:50 AM   #32
Finnydot

Champed
- Beat Battle I

Listen to Finally Forgot Your Name - INSTRUMENTAL by Infinity Tha relliK on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/infinitythare...rgot-your-name

Last example. I spent a while chopping the hook right. I think its actually slightly off in parts which is why I like claps instead of snares if I wanna be a tad bit off in my chops. Barely noticeable to me even anymore. But I found a different section of the song to build the verse.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:52 AM   #33
Finnydot

Champed
- Beat Battle I

Listen to Don't Worry - INSTRUMENTAL by Infinity Tha relliK on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/infinitythare...y-instrumental

I lied... Lol this one is just too sick to not post again.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:18 PM   #34
Lenox
Hungry

Quote:
Listen to Don't Worry - INSTRUMENTAL by Infinity Tha relliK on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/infinitythare...y-instrumental

I lied... Lol this one is just too sick to not post again.
I just seen all this. Thanks man. I appreciate all the feedback

Old 02-10-2020, 10:57 PM   #35
Exis

Exis Exis Exis Exis Exis Exis Exis Exis Exis Exis Exis

I thought this was nice as fuck tbh fam...Good to see you still around my friend.
Exis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:40 AM   #36
Ouch

Accomplishments
- Lost to Kill Spree

Champed
- Wall Talking

Ouch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant futureOuch has a brilliant future

yeah thats dope man... what did you sample it from?

I wish I could give you better constructive criticism, but I don't know anything about making beats at all..

but that sample is is super dope, I like shit like that.. but again.. what is that from?
Ouch is offline   Reply With Quote