Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Vault > Archives > The Netcees archive > AOWL Season 2 Archive

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 02:36 AM   #1
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Battle Record: 40-19

Champed
- AOWL Season 3
- Art of Writing League (2x)

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow AOWL Magazine - 12th Edition

Season 2, Edition 12, Playoff Round 3

INTRODUCTION by Mike Wrecka

Here we are, the Semi-Finals are upon us!!! Four writers, through sheer perserverance and an extrodinary display of ability have made it this far. They are set to battle it out in front of the masses with one common goal in mind, winning the AOWL Championship Title!!! Who has what it takes to get two more wins? We will see. This round a couple of these gladiators will feel the agony of defeat while two others will rise above and face off in the Champ match. The stakes are high, the pressure is on.

We have Frank, the beast from the east in one corner of the squared circle, this man is a fire breathing dragon waiting for his next victim. It will take far more than Hobbits and Dwarves to overcome this monster. His verses are works of art that makes every person from his indigenous area proud to be associated with his technical superiority. He is up against Vividlyvague , the man with no identity. An enigma of sorts this faceless crusader is the perfect assasin, you never see him coming, until its too late ofcourse. He wields the sword of justice across this league righting the wrong perceptions that people have about the heirarchy of the topical world. Are you ready people ?????

On the other side of the bracket is abominable Pancakebrah. he is all the Avengers wrapped into one entity. the muscle mass of the incredible hulk, the swagger of Tony Starks, the godly nordic good looks of Thor matched with the All American charm of the Captain. No one wants to win this more than him so he could solidify his placement among the top tier topicalists that he has befriended. His search for acceptance fuels his thirst for destruction. This round he faces off against the Legend Killer himself, Diode. A month ago people were asking if this guy even topicals? Now he is the opponent nobody wants to face. He has already taken out the league admin and a certified great in these playoffs and looks poised to add everyones favorite boarder to the list. Diode is out to prove that the flurry of brilliance he has shown thus far is just an appetizer to the main course of literary madness that he is cooking up. Lets go!

Every verse, every sentence, every word, every letter typed in this league thus far has culminated in this moment. We have cultivated the greatest writers from across the net and are about to bear witness to the fruits of our labor. Four noble soldiers head towards the field of battle here in the AOWL!!!!!!!!!

ROUND 2 REVIEW by Certain

I'm not upset that round is finished. We had some of our first "controversy" of the entire season, or at least the first to reach beyond Frank's matches. But Mike Wrecka voted for Diode, Frank voted for PancakeBrah and everything ended quietly, maybe. Let's ignore all that and talk about the verses.

No. 9 Diode beats No. 1 Vulgar, 4-3
This battle was a bit disappointing. Vulgar wrote what seemed to be almost like half a verse, a character sketch of one of the three people in the photo he was given. Diode won because he captured the entire photo, but his verse felt a little half-baked in execution. Still, I've always said a complete story will beat a character sketch or a topical approach in almost any battle, fair or unfair, and that's what played out here in a battle that went to overtime but was closed by Mike Wrecka's decisive vote.

No. 2 Vividlyvague advances via No. 7 NYCSPITZ no-show
Everyone should read the full version of Vividlyvague's verse and give him feedback because he graciously cast the first vote in every battle this week. I'm going to give him a ridiculously thorough breakdown either tomorrow or Thursday, but you should, too. See the underlined words? Click them. NYCSPITZ (now Totoro) is a jerk for no-showing. I guess that 40-ounce bottle of malt liquor was more important than topical glory.

No. 6 Frank beats No. 3 Certain, 4-3
This battle went exactly as I expected it to, even before reading Frank's verse. My verse explored dark emotional stations but avoided telling a well-rounded story. Frank came with his own deeply emotional verse, in a much more personal tenor. I'm glad I didn't get shut out this time.

No. 5 PancakeBrah beats No. 4 Mr. J, 7-(-4)
PancakeBrah was ready and wrote the best verse of the week. His meditation on happiness in the business world was his best verse of the season, too. Mr. J seemed to lapse in and out of even considering the topic with a very abstract verse. He also, for the first time all season, failed to vote, causing the negative finish.

FINAL FOUR BREAKDOWN by Certain

Everyone who has reached the Art of Writing League's second season playoff semifinals is a good writer. Each has earned his spot through though victories and impressive verses. Each had a verse among the 20 best of the regular season. But these are four very different writers. (Well, Frank and Vividlyvague are somewhat similar, so maybe these are three very different writers?) So here I'm going to break them down by the main components of topical writing, ranking them and briefly discussing their capabilities in each category. I also will add who handles each category best among writers I am familiar with on this site.

Approach
This category takes into account how each writer responds to topics.

1. Vividlyvague: I don't really understand how Vividlyvague's mind works, and I'm not sure he does either. And that makes it all the more exciting to see how he's processed a given topic. He is the epitome of the "go big or go home" mantra, and I don't think he took an easy way out even once all season.

2. Diode: While Vividlyvague takes all sorts of backroads to shave 30 seconds off a trip, Diode hits the highway and never gets lost. Don't take that as an insult. Diode's verses often accomplish something I think every topical writer should strive toward: defining the topic with the verse.

3. Frank: He supposedly has a past tendency of ignoring topics at times, but he has avoided that entirely this season (aside from an obviously old verse in his mostly meaningless Week 10 battle). I can only go on what I see, and I see a guy who has written all sorts of stories this season. He doesn't center verses on topics quite like the top two, but he's among the elite in this category.

4. PancakeBrah: For all his success in this league, PancakeBrah has not really stepped out of his depths once all season. He's bent topics into his style, which is a smart method. But the other three have taken more varied and creative approaches all season. He showed more variety in the Writing Challenge League.

Netcees' Best: No one even compares to ZYG. The man is a genius in his methodology, probably the best I've seen on these sites. Mike Wrecka is very strong in this category, as well.

Content
This category is about how interesting the stories and concepts presented by the writers are.

1. Frank: His writing bubbles with emotion. He loves to tell stories, particularly about underdogs. And while there's a degree of predictability in those approaches, Frank makes his characters vivid enough to overcome cliché. He also has shown the capacity to tell multi-layered stories, and he's even executed twist endings at times. He even wrote an interesting verse about beetles.

2. Vividlyvague: I've already praised his creativity, but here I'm going to talk about Vividlyvague's ambition. He could write forever, it seems, because he wants every story to be complete and every topical to be enormous in scope. It burns him sometimes, but that's not the issue of the content as much as the execution.

3. PancakeBrah: Safe approaches lead to stable stories. PancakeBrah is the best character-sketch artist on this site. He brings people to life with a focus on small details. He keeps his stories small and rarely uses any sort of twist. But in those stories are real people.

4. Diode: This ranking is not a snub. Diode's content is interesting, but it doesn't take on a life of its own the way the other three can when they get rolling. His content is more built around the topic and less interesting outside that context.

Netcees' Best: While Frank has a pretty strong case for No. 1, I'm going to side with Vulgar here for his incredibly deep thinking about the world. Yes, some of his work flies over heads, but he is so sharp that even if you only get 20 percent of one of his more abstract verses, you still can appreciate it. ZYG and namix also deserve mentions here.

Diction
This category takes into account how each writer puts words together.

1. PancakeBrah: Phrasing is everything for PancakeBrah. He pays immense attention to how his phrases connect and to the sounds of the words. He changes his writer's voice every so slightly to reflect new characters. He sweats the small stuff, and it shows.

2. Frank: Emotion seeps from his writing because of the way he structures things. Even Frank's sloppiness can play in his favor because he can find beauty in imperfection. Almost as much as his characters, Frank's storytelling is carried by his words.

3. Diode: He shows a good understanding of poetic techniques and keeps his wording very clear. His verses may be the most easily understood of anyone in this league, which definitely is a good thing.

4. Vividlyvague: He has moments that would compete for the top spot on this list, but they are sporadic. And almost as often, he loses his readers by being way too unclear. If Vividlyvague really polishes his verses up, he could come away with the title, but for now, this is his obvious weak spot.

Netcees' Best: I'm the most polished writer on this site, but I'm nowhere near the most interesting. Split Eight's ability to connect unique words and juxtapose thoughts always is fascinating. But dead man delivers best in this category, expressing his thoughts in truly memorable ways.

Rhyme Mechanics
This category sizes up all aspects of rhyming, including flow, scheme and the rhymes themselves.

1. PancakeBrah: He runs away with this category among these four because he's the only one committed to it. It's part of PancakeBrah's diction, even, using exceedingly difficult rhymes and schemes without sacrificing much in the way of diction. His cadence can be a little difficult because of the complexity, but in the text format, that's not a major problem.

2. Frank: The standard 40-line Frank verse is built on no more than four or five rhymes. That's difficult to do on a consistent basis while putting so much focus on content, as Frank does. But he stretches lines at times, occasionally forces rhymes and isn't afraid to use a harsh slant. Frank keeps his rhyme mechanics interesting and unpredictable.

3. Diode: He rhymes off single syllables. But he knows that. He knows what he's doing. Diode may have the most reliable scheme of those remaining, which can hurt him because the simple rhymes and predictable internal schemes can feel a bit too nursery rhyme-like. But he is reliable in what he does, and it's taken him this far.

4. Vividlyvague: Like a more extreme version of Frank, Vividlyvague sometimes will almost completely ignore rhymes. He does not work off the same rhyme for such long intervals. But he also has shown the ability to be a very capable schemer and rhymer. In every way, Vividlyvague is the sloppiest writer left. He can be bombastic but tends to put all his attention into his content.

Netcees' Best: dull boy flexes are works of rhyming art. Lars and Pent uP enjoy challenging themselves with deep rhymes while telling stories clearly. dead man and Genocide have perfect cadence on almost every verse. But CopyPat is the best with rhymes, stacking them on top of each other cleanly, though he has the advantage of not being too interest in content.

Consistency
This category examines quality patterns, with a consideration for motivation at this level.

1. Diode: Why hasn't he lost yet? Because he hits his marks every week. He does what he does well, and he takes advantage any time an opponent falters. I think I voted against him once all season, and I'm usually a stickler for rhymes. He makes his style work time and time again.

2. PancakeBrah: His half-ass is better than your half-ass, probably. So yes, early in this league he didn't go all-in. But he has shown a clear commitment the past few weeks, aside from his Thanksgiving no-show in Week 10. And even those weeks in which his effort level hasn't been the highest have produced solid verses.

3. Frank: This is difficult because he was very erratic during the season but now has an impetus to try hard every week. I think, though, that he is more prone to making mistakes than PancakeBrah or Diode. He won't write a bad verse, but he's more up and down than them.

4. Vividlyvague: This ranking shouldn't be a surprise at this point. But to reiterate previous points, he goes from head-scratching to jaw-dropping not only on a verse-by-verse but on a stanza-by stanza basis.

Netcees' Best: Consistency is such a hard thing to talk about with a wider view. Perhaps the best answer would be Darth Yoda (also known as BWHAHA, big baby and Zombie), for the simple reason that everything he writes is entertaining. dead man is another who has shown a top gear but never falters much.

Potential
This category decides whose best is the best.

1. PancakeBrah: He's written two of my five favorite things posted to this site, and his trial verse from the Writing Challenge League is one of the two best topical verses I've read here. The other was by Pinot Grij. When he latches on to the right topic and right approach, he has the writing advantages to dominate.

2. Frank: I gave him verse of the season for an awesome effort. He's an incredible storyteller and probably has the most voter-friendly style. I was torn on who to put first but ultimately prefer more polished writing. That's what the decision between these two is: a matter of preference.

3. Vividlyvague: He's not as far from the top two as an outsider might think. It'll come down to how much time he spends developing his stories. But he absolutely can beat anyone on this site. Anyone.

4. Diode: To be cut and dry, he rhymes off single syllables. He's going to have to come up with one hell of an approach to beat any of the other three semifinalists at their best.

Netcees' Best: If every person on this site entered an Open Mic writing contest with $1,000,000 on the line and tried their very best, I'd probably lean toward dull boy as the favorite. ZYG, dead man, oats and Vulgar all are serious threats, though. And PancakeBrah isn't far behind at all.

SEMIFINALS PREDICTIONS by Certain

No. 9 Diode vs. No. 5 PancakeBrah | "Take the bull by the horns"
This topic is fascinating, with dozens of approaches. I'd probably write a sequel to my Derrick Rose verse from Week 2 or something, but I'm sure these guys will do better. I do think the open-endedness helps PancakeBrah here, as he can mold it to his style as described above. I picked against Diode last week, and he showed me up and earned my vote. But I'm more confident in this one, as PancakeBrah seems more determined and driven by victory than Vulgar was. And I think his clean diction will negate one of Diode's strengths, while his elite-tier rhyming will be a marked difference. Diode is going to need to come up with his best concept yet to win. Prediction: PancakeBrah 70-30.

No. 2 Vividlyvague vs. No. 6 Frank | "Take to the cleaners"
Take what to the cleaners? That's going to be the key to winning this battle. I truly think this will come down to who has the better story, which is very difficult to tell. As I said above, Frank writes the most compelling verses in terms of content, but Vivldlyvague has the most creative topic approaches. There also is the theory that they are one in the same, but I don't have much evidence to support that after a pretty thorough investigation. (By comparison, Red glare and Frank posted from the same IP even in their battle against each other.) I made Frank the favorite in the first magazine of the playoffs, but I think Vividlyvague is the single toughest matchup for him here because they share some strengths. Vividlyvague beat him in the regular season. I'm very torn. But I am going to side with the favorite here. Prediction: Frank 51-49.

CONCLUSION by Certain

Merry Christmas, y'all.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:38 AM   #2
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Champed
- AOWL Season 3

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas-based rap is so underrated.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:02 AM   #3
NYCSPITZ
SYRACUSE

Battle Record: 31-37

Champed
- Write Night II
- Alias Topical Tournament

NYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant futureNYCSPITZ has a brilliant future

certain u r more polished than dragon steel
Old 12-24-2013, 03:03 AM   #4
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Champed
- AOWL Season 3

Old 12-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
Vulgar
Razor-thin derision

Battle Record: 40-25

Accomplishments
- OM HOF

Champed
- Fight Night LIV
- Gimmick Battle League (2x)
- Write Week II
- Art of Writing League
- Storytelling And Topical Invitational Tournament
- STI
- Haiku Writer Challenge
- GWL Picture Challenge(2x)

Vulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant futureVulgar has a brilliant future

Great stuff. Happy holidays.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
Angkor

Battle Record: 1-3

Angkor is on a distinguished road

excellent read, Certain (specifically that breakdown piece). Salute.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
dead man
living

Battle Record: 33-18

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- AOWL Season 1
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 4
- Write Week V
- GWL Season 1

dead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant future

cheers
Old 12-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
Diode
PR's Finest

Battle Record: 12-7

Diode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certain View Post
why couldnt this have been used for a picture round
Old 12-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
e11even
V.V

Battle Record: 31-20

e11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant future

My head swells. Thanks for the amazing mag. Merry Christmas hoes.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Champed
- AOWL Season 3

Thanks, oats.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #11
e11even
V.V

e11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant futuree11even has a brilliant future

Quote:
Thanks, oats.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:06 AM   #12
Frank

Champed
- NWL Season 2
- Art of Writing League (5x)
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- AOWL Season 6
- AOWL Season 10

Frank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant futureFrank has a brilliant future

Well done. I got a kick out of it. Appreciate it. Happy holidays to you all.

except cake

Last edited by Frank; 12-26-2013 at 02:48 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:08 AM   #13
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Champed
- AOWL Season 3

It occurs to me that probably half the people I mentioned in the "Netcees' Best" section have no clue.

@dead man, @big baby, @dull boy, @namix, @ZYG, @Split Eight, @Genocide, @Lars, @Pent uP, @oats and @CopyPat, you all should vote on at least one of the two semifinals when they're up (hopefully Sunday) since I was nice to you.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #14
big baby
obsessed

Battle Record: Faggot-1

Accomplishments
- can recite entirety of shrek 2

Champed
- tangoed with spider man behind scenes in spider-man 2
- was candidate for gerber baby 3x
- smush parker like bb comment on instagram saying "u fucka suck idiyote"
- smush beer on head and didn't cry
- parallel parked in between 2 ferrari's in tonky truck once
- when saying pledge of allegiance i said "i don't" lmao deadass bb satan
- won tshirt from taco bell saying "taco cat" is the same backwards for filling out 500 surveys in a
- neighbor house caught on fire i call FIRE department and saved lives, was in newspaper
- set neighbor house on fire lmao
- fuck neighbor husband and wife
- first fish caught resembled david ortiz
- colin kaepernick
- related to genghis khan
- elected assistant to the vice president assistant to the president for regional chess club
- never lost game of hide and seek

big baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to big baby

didn't know vividvagina was oats lol!

(v|v)

cool mention bud. i'd beat dull boy, though. We'd be the last two remaining on the ninja balance beams. And the fight would last 9 weeks. Naked.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #15
big baby
obsessed

Battle Record: Faggot-1

Accomplishments
- can recite entirety of shrek 2

Champed
- tangoed with spider man behind scenes in spider-man 2
- was candidate for gerber baby 3x
- smush parker like bb comment on instagram saying "u fucka suck idiyote"
- smush beer on head and didn't cry
- parallel parked in between 2 ferrari's in tonky truck once
- when saying pledge of allegiance i said "i don't" lmao deadass bb satan
- won tshirt from taco bell saying "taco cat" is the same backwards for filling out 500 surveys in a
- neighbor house caught on fire i call FIRE department and saved lives, was in newspaper
- set neighbor house on fire lmao
- fuck neighbor husband and wife
- first fish caught resembled david ortiz
- colin kaepernick
- related to genghis khan
- elected assistant to the vice president assistant to the president for regional chess club
- never lost game of hide and seek

big baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant futurebig baby has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to big baby

You also don't give yourself much credit, certain.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:29 AM   #16
e11even
V.V

If it isn't too much to ask... please...

Suck

My

Phallically symbolic vaginal penetration thruster.

Thank you.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:49 AM   #17
oats
Steel Cut

Battle Record: 19-10

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

oats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant future

I'll vote so long as the oatmeal name remain unstained with that of vividlyvague.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #18
namix
been that, done there.

Battle Record: 2-1

Accomplishments
- OM HOF

namix has a brilliant futurenamix has a brilliant futurenamix has a brilliant futurenamix has a brilliant futurenamix has a brilliant futurenamix has a brilliant futurenamix has a brilliant futurenamix has a brilliant futurenamix has a brilliant futurenamix has a brilliant futurenamix has a brilliant future

Quote:
It occurs to me that probably half the people I mentioned in the "Netcees' Best" section have no clue.

@dead man, @big baby, @dull boy, @namix, @ZYG, @Split Eight, @Genocide, @Lars, @Pent uP, @oats and @CopyPat, you all should vote on at least one of the two semifinals when they're up (hopefully Sunday) since I was nice to you.
if I didn't miss the party already I will contribute -- at least to the finals

real good shit man