Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Forum > Discussion Board

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2017, 06:53 AM   #41
Fig
Om

Battle Record: 8-16

Fig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant futureFig has a brilliant future

I always go to the bookstore and buy all these books i halfway read. Im shit.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #42
Ghost1

Battle Record: 0-1

Ghost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant future

1. Art of war by Sun Tzu (5/10)
2. 48 laws of power by Robert Greene (7/10)
3. how to influence people and make friends by Dale Carnegie (6/10)
4. the power of now by Eckhart Tolle (8/10)
5. think and grow rich by Napolean Hill (7/10)
6. the little prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (8/10)
7. outliers by Malcom Gladwell (8/10)
8. the power of the subconscious mind by Joseph Murphy (6/10)
9. Animal Farm (8/10)
10. Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (8/10)
11. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (9/10)
12. Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy (10/10)
13. Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy by Douglas adams (9/10)
14. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (9/10)
15. 11/22/63 by Stephen King (10/10)
16. The Stand by Stephen King (10/10)
17. The power of the dog by Don Winslow (10/10)
18. Astrophysics for people in a hurry by Neil DeGrasse Tyson (10/10)
19. The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow (10/10)
20. A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson (6/10)
21. What Every Body is Saying: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Speed-Reading People by Joe Navarro (7/10)
22. Ego is the enemy by Ryan Holiday (7/10)
23. King, Warrior, Magician, Lover: Rediscovering the Archetypes of the Mature Masculine by Robert Moore and Douglass Gillette (10/10)
24. Modern man in search of a soul by Carl Jung (8/10)
25. IT by Stephen King (10/10)
26. The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker (6/10)
27. The Scarlet Gospels by Clive Barker (10/10)
28. Marley and Me by John Grogan (8/10)
29. The Lucifer Effect by Philip Zimbardo (7/10)
30. The Social Animal by Elliot Aronson (10/10)
31. The subtle art of not giving a fuck by Mark Manson (6/10)
32. Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner (8/10)
33. David and Galiath by Malcom Gladwell (8/10)
34. American Gods by Neil Gaiman (8/10)
35. Blink by Malcom Gladwell (8/10)
36. The Holy Bible (NIV) (10/10)
37. Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson (10/10)

few times I set this book down and just said......wtf is happening. as in....my mind was completely blown wide open. the complexities of this book are probably close the limit of my level of intelligence lol........as of now anyhow....ie...it was difficult for me to put this shit together a few times. but I did. and it was fire as fuck to me.

he talks a lot about Aleister Crowley.......not particulary interested in delving into the occult but...........should I read his book of law or whatever ?

oh he quotes Finnegan's wake a lot too......never read Ulysses.....not familiar with Joyce at all...............its a difficult read from what im gathering???
Not saying being drunk doesn’t mess up you reasoning. I’m turning 20 soon so I haven’t had a drink ever.
Ghost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:05 PM   #43
Amen
As-salamu alaykum!

Battle Record: 19-8

Champed
- 1-2 Punch League Season 6

Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen

Anything like the Prometheus movie, assuming you've seen it?

Shit was just weird, IMO.
Amen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #44
Mr. J
The Clown Prince

Battle Record: 35-45

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Mr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaker oats View Post
So i started watching the show version of American gods, really enjoying it. Anyone read any of gaiman's short stories?
So far all I've read is Fragile Things. I think one of the stories is a prequel to American Gods. Or it takes place after...I read it last year so it's not fresh in my memory. I enjoyed it though. I also have Trigger Warning waiting for a listen on overdrive but haven't been in an audiobook mood for awhile now.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #45
Ghost1

Ghost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant future

uhm I haven't actually seen it no. I know OF it tho. its a prequel to Aliens basically right?

this was a psychology book based around timothy learys 8 circuit brain mapping and brain imprinting......he gets pretty loose ultimately leading to a theory of immortality thru a cosmic understanding thru the subcon

really me even trying to summarize or describe it isn't fair.........its a lot going on in this shit.
Not saying being drunk doesn’t mess up you reasoning. I’m turning 20 soon so I haven’t had a drink ever.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #46
Amen
As-salamu alaykum!

Battle Record: 19-8

Champed
- 1-2 Punch League Season 6

Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen

I don't think it had anything to do with Aliens tbc. Very similar to that concept tho... Alien things whom had figures built like greek gods and the strength of Hercules lol.
Amen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:03 AM   #47
oats
Steel Cut

Battle Record: 19-10

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

oats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant future

1. On Writing by Stephen King (4/5)
2. Your Republic is Calling You by Young Ha Kim (4/5)
3. Kafka On the Shore by Haruki Murakami (5/5)
4. The Guest by Hwang Sok Yong (4/5)
5. After Dark by Haruki Murakami (4/5)
6. The Vegetarian by Han Kang (4/5)
7. American Nations by Collin Woodard (5/5)
8. The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut (4/5)
9. I'll Be Right There by Kyung Sook Shin (4/5)
10. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (5/5)
11. Without You There Is No Us by Suki Kim (4/5)
12. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (5/5)
13. I Have the Right to Destroy Myself by Young Ha Kim (3/5)
14. Sightseeing by Rattawut Lapcharoensap (4/5)
15. Atlas of Cursed Places by Olivier Le Carrer (3/5)
16. My Financial Career and Other Follies by Stephen Leacock (3/5)
17. Joseph Anton by Salman Rushdie (4/5)
18. Lua: Art of the Hawaiian Warrior by Richard Paglinawan (4/5)
19. Me by Tomoyuki Hoshino (3/5)
20. The Red Shark by Ruth Tabrah (4/5)
21. The Domino Diaries by Brin-Jonathan Butler (4/5)
22. The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings (4/5)

I remember seeing the movie of The Descendants years ago and it didn't leave much of an impression on me. But the novel is really - and surprisingly - funny. Smart, heartfelt look at how we handle loss and death, and how we navigate the things we inherit. Carefully crafted all the way through, and the ending is somehow beautiful and hilarious and perfect all at once. Really enjoyed it.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:10 AM   #48
oats
Steel Cut

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

oats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
So far all I've read is Fragile Things. I think one of the stories is a prequel to American Gods. Or it takes place after...I read it last year so it's not fresh in my memory. I enjoyed it though. I also have Trigger Warning waiting for a listen on overdrive but haven't been in an audiobook mood for awhile now.
I was looking at Fragile Things. after a cursory interweb search, a lot more negative feedback about Trigger Warning. either way I'll read something of Gaiman's sooner or later. the show has me intrigued.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:17 AM   #49
Mr. J
The Clown Prince

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Mr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant future
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaker oats View Post
I was looking at Fragile Things. after a cursory interweb search, a lot more negative feedback about Trigger Warning. either way I'll read something of Gaiman's sooner or later. the show has me intrigued.
I enjoyed Fragile Things due to the mixture of work. It really helps familiarize you with his style.

Where would you suggest I start with Haruki Murakami? I've been interested in Kafka on the Shore for quite some time but have not taken the chance in picking it up yet.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:43 AM   #50
oats
Steel Cut

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

I loved Kafka, but may not be the best one to start with. depends on what you like. After Dark is a good introduction to the bizarre, dreamlike and magical aspects of his writing, though it's more conceptual than story driven. Norwegian Wood was his breakthrough novel, but it's less weird and more story-oriented. Kafka is both extremely weird and an engrossing narrative. I'd go After Dark then Norwegian Wood then Kafka On The Shore.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:22 AM   #51
dead man
living

Battle Record: 33-18

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Champed
- AOWL Season 1
- Art of Writing League
- AOWL Season 4
- Write Week V
- GWL Season 1

dead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant futuredead man has a brilliant future

@Bags

"Exo Psychology" by Tim Leary. this is his 8-circuit theory in his words
Old 07-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #52
Ghost1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead man View Post
@Bags

"Exo Psychology" by Tim Leary. this is his 8-circuit theory in his words
my dude.

definitely was going to look into him after having read Prometheus

perfect.

any word on Aleister Crowley by any chance?
Old 07-11-2017, 10:21 AM   #53
Ghost1

1. Art of war by Sun Tzu (5/10)
2. 48 laws of power by Robert Greene (7/10)
3. how to influence people and make friends by Dale Carnegie (6/10)
4. the power of now by Eckhart Tolle (8/10)
5. think and grow rich by Napolean Hill (7/10)
6. the little prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (8/10)
7. outliers by Malcom Gladwell (8/10)
8. the power of the subconscious mind by Joseph Murphy (6/10)
9. Animal Farm (8/10)
10. Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (8/10)
11. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (9/10)
12. Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy (10/10)
13. Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy by Douglas adams (9/10)
14. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (9/10)
15. 11/22/63 by Stephen King (10/10)
16. The Stand by Stephen King (10/10)
17. The power of the dog by Don Winslow (10/10)
18. Astrophysics for people in a hurry by Neil DeGrasse Tyson (10/10)
19. The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow (10/10)
20. A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson (6/10)
21. What Every Body is Saying: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Speed-Reading People by Joe Navarro (7/10)
22. Ego is the enemy by Ryan Holiday (7/10)
23. King, Warrior, Magician, Lover: Rediscovering the Archetypes of the Mature Masculine by Robert Moore and Douglass Gillette (10/10)
24. Modern man in search of a soul by Carl Jung (8/10)
25. IT by Stephen King (10/10)
26. The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker (6/10)
27. The Scarlet Gospels by Clive Barker (10/10)
28. Marley and Me by John Grogan (8/10)
29. The Lucifer Effect by Philip Zimbardo (7/10)
30. The Social Animal by Elliot Aronson (10/10)
31. The subtle art of not giving a fuck by Mark Manson (6/10)
32. Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner (8/10)
33. David and Galiath by Malcom Gladwell (8/10)
34. American Gods by Neil Gaiman (8/10)
35. Blink by Malcom Gladwell (8/10)
36. The Holy Bible (NIV) (10/10)
37. Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson (10/10)
38. The Book of 5 Rings by Miyamoto Musashi (7/10)

quick read here, similar to art of war.......its a book on strategy detailed by an ancient swordsman...he slayed like 60 men in sword fights starting as early as 13yrs old. its really an amazing book but youd really have to study this for years I feel like to get the full benefit from it. I will probably run this back a couple times and then leave it. its very cool though and especially intriguing to imagine some1 being able to have learned these strategies and actually being able to employ them in such an intense scenario (a literal sword fight lol).
Old 07-11-2017, 12:05 PM   #54
uh-oh
DA GOD

Battle Record: 1-0

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

Nigga we all know bout musashi you dont gotta explain it

Oh the cat in the hat was about this cat who wore a hat and STFU

but word he defeated over 60 people in swordfights. He doesnt clarify if they were to the death tho so its disputed among historians. Like i know there was one dude he faced who used a nodachi or whatever,basically an extra long katana and its said that musashi whiddled an oar in the boat being paddled to him and beat him or some shit

I mightve mutilated that story. It couldve just been a stick or training sword to begin with.

The point was he was a bad little dude and not every duel from the period was to the death. His art looks dope too but to be honest all art from that era of japan looks the same to me
Old 07-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #55
uh-oh
DA GOD

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

Also he wasnt ancient wasnt it like the 1600s? Could be wrong but either way samurais were around a long ass time because japan was so isolationist for awhile there. You never seen the last samurai with tommy c? Get it together
Old 07-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #56
Ghost1

Lmfao I find it hard to believe that knowledge of Musashi is as common as Dr suess t9 any1 but you ....fuckin weirdo LOL

An year 1640 or some shit

To ME ancient is just a synonym for old lol....not a historical time period
Old 07-11-2017, 12:59 PM   #57
Ghost1

An yea I seen last samurai but I wasn't taking fucking foot notes lnao

But you should I read this book about bushido !?!
Old 07-11-2017, 07:04 PM   #58
uh-oh
DA GOD

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

lol word

as for the bushido book

if you are interested in it?

samurai shit didn't do much for me. i mean i've looked into it at a base level but its not something i cared to dig deep in.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #59
Mr. J
The Clown Prince

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Hara Kiri is a movie worth peeping.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:15 AM   #60
Rust Cohle

Rust Cohle Rust Cohle Rust Cohle Rust Cohle Rust Cohle Rust Cohle Rust Cohle Rust Cohle Rust Cohle Rust Cohle Rust Cohle

Gladwell has a podcast series nowadays. 'Revionist History'. S1 a lot better than S2. Well researched stuff, similar to a short audiobook of his work. Been awhile since I've read his stuff. Hopefully his earlier work isnt as easily seen through as his S2 stuff.

1. 1/8 of Strong Motion by Jonathan Franzen (3.2/6)
-Still love The Corrections and Freedom even after the 'cool' opinion in literally circlejerks was to jump into the backlash and laugh him off. You can tell this is proto-Franzen. Cool dialogue and his eye for observation is there but its a bit loose and uneasy. Not far enough to rate yet but could be dope. He's too good at giving depth to characters by way of subtle foreshadowing. Almost not foreshadowing, just, you know what may happen by little brushes of characterization. One line or two.

2.7/9 of The Marriage Plot by Jeff Eugenides (1.6/4)
-Off-putting to me, and not enough of a stylist to make up for it. The central romantic relationship is interesting. The allusory English Major shit is both obvious for being obvious and uninteresting enough not to matter. Left this alone after Leonard got fat during his science gig. Small chance I finish it, 40ish pages left. Aware that I don't like the intellectual stuff because insecurities, know for a fact he's no Great Novelist or stylist.

3 Moby Dick by Herm Melville (7/8)
-Only book I've ever read. As a slow reader this took awhile. Dozens of earmarked passages for their style and beauty. Really engaging work. Big themes, a Heavy Book, Very Important, etc. Works on multiple levels. Biblical in scope, allusions, and takeaway ideas. Great stuff.

4. Stoner by John Williams (6.97/7)
-A great litmus test book. Can be the saddest shit or most affirming shit you've ever read, depending on your perspective. Its a story of this child of a farming family who lives into academia as a professor. No huge plot twists. The prose is beautiful, but not overpoweringly so. The plot is the point, but the plot inches along. It kind of seeps into your skin as your reading it, an interesting, fictional, telling of a life written without surplus. Handles interpersonal drama like an adult. The best/worst version of reality and retelling of reality. Highly recommended.

5. Purity by Jonathan Franzen (4/6)
-Worst novel I've read by him, but still good. Meta in that he tries to tackle his 'sexist' image by making a female character the nominal main character (Patty Berglund from Freedom shouldve debunked this criticism dead but whatever). I get nostalgia for the novelist character's chapters on hole 4 of a golf course I like for no discernible reason and it bothers me. The murder subplot is the most interesting and forward portion. The end is okay. Some really base level "this person is smart here is some base level psych dialogue by him" which I'm not sure is purposeful. Enjoyed it overall.

Most of these I read/half-read/one-eighteenth read last year. Need to read more.
Rust Cohle is offline   Reply With Quote