Old 07-16-2020, 02:47 AM   #1
Adverse
low tide in serotonin bay

Battle Record: 37-28

Champed
- GWL Picture Challenge
- Guerrilla Writing League
- Black August II

Adverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant future
Default Forgotten People

http://soundcloud.com/user-601544698...od-ryini-beats

Background: I made this in my car on my way home last year, recorded using an iPhone 7, this particular project was kind of a step away from my hip hop roots and more folksy/blues ish so I know my singing isn't great but just thought I'd share something different. Feedback is appreciated
Adverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:45 AM   #2
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Battle Record: 56-21

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

Sharp has disabled reputation

@Adverse Definitely different. Thanks for sharing.

As a singer, there are moments where it kind of sounds like you're guessing where the pitch is. I'm an elementary music teacher/chorus director, so sorry if I sound like I'm dumbing stuff down (just a habit). If you have a guitar or piano or anything like that at home, I would see if you could actually plink out the melody - no need to notate or anything because you seem to know it - and then try singing along as you play. Especially when you're making jumps (think the word 'lyrics' at :54) you're pretty clearly out of tune at first then move into what sounds right.

Don't take that as harsh. It shows you have a good enough ear to recognize that 'this note sounds good' but just are getting there reactively. I can't really speak to the lyrics because I'm not really great with those.

Far as the song structure goes, you did a great job organizing it around the beat. I'm assuming this wasn't made for you specifically so you had to write to an existing recording. The song structure lines up perfectly. Nothing kills a song like this quite like being a bar off, so good job.

If you ever want to collaborate on something like this, I play guitar and bass. Feel free to hit me up
Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:06 AM   #3
Adverse
low tide in serotonin bay

Battle Record: 37-28

Champed
- GWL Picture Challenge
- Guerrilla Writing League
- Black August II

Adverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp View Post
@Adverse Definitely different. Thanks for sharing.

As a singer, there are moments where it kind of sounds like you're guessing where the pitch is. I'm an elementary music teacher/chorus director, so sorry if I sound like I'm dumbing stuff down (just a habit). If you have a guitar or piano or anything like that at home, I would see if you could actually plink out the melody - no need to notate or anything because you seem to know it - and then try singing along as you play. Especially when you're making jumps (think the word 'lyrics' at :54) you're pretty clearly out of tune at first then move into what sounds right.

Don't take that as harsh. It shows you have a good enough ear to recognize that 'this note sounds good' but just are getting there reactively. I can't really speak to the lyrics because I'm not really great with those.

Far as the song structure goes, you did a great job organizing it around the beat. I'm assuming this wasn't made for you specifically so you had to write to an existing recording. The song structure lines up perfectly. Nothing kills a song like this quite like being a bar off, so good job.

If you ever want to collaborate on something like this, I play guitar and bass. Feel free to hit me up
This is great feed man thank you so much I want to do more like this but this was my first attempt at something of this variety. I know I don't have an amazing voice but I'd like to become at least technically proficient and be able to walk around a track like this blindfolded, I would love to collaborate sometime dude!
Adverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
Universe
Everything's Connected

Battle Record: 19-8

Champed
- Guerrilla Writing League(2x)
- GWL Picture challenge(2x)
- Art of Writing League

Universe has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant futureUniverse has a brilliant future

Just listened to it while driving... loved it man. Didn't matter your voice wasn't the greatest, just really felt the mood of this.

I wanna knoooowww...where the forgotten people goooo..

Stuck in my head for the day now I'm sure... :)
Old 08-15-2020, 10:48 AM   #5
Sharp
HE / HIM / FRAC

Battle Record: 56-21

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- The Ultimate Writer
- NBL Cypher
- 1-2 Punch League

Sharp has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adverse View Post
This is great feed man thank you so much I want to do more like this but this was my first attempt at something of this variety. I know I don't have an amazing voice but I'd like to become at least technically proficient and be able to walk around a track like this blindfolded, I would love to collaborate sometime dude!
Your voice isn't bad. This song definitely used the right range for you and I was glad you weren't afraid of getting into the higher end of your range. It was really just the pseudo-guessing way you hit some of the notes. I'm not saying you have to be technically perfect, though. My feedback was just a way you could know where you're aiming better.

But yeah most of it was solid aside from the obvious 'recorded in the car' quality, but this obviously isn't a final mix or anything
Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote