Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

User Tag List

Old 01-31-2021, 02:43 PM   #1
Diablo
Badgerdick

Battle Record: 11-2

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Diablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant futureDiablo has a brilliant future
Default AOWL needs to be dumbed down to survive. Fact.

I get it, the mods think that it’s participants want to be pushed to test themselves each week etc. I can’t fault them for that ideal. they’re doing what they think people want

but the reality speaks for itself, many people are struggling to write to the given topics which is leading to constant no shows and/or extensions being required

all of that is slowly throttling the life out of the league

upping the difficulty setting to hard mode right from the jump means more players who are trying it out for the first time are finding it difficult to get into the game (see: Blue Bayou this week etc)

if you made the topics easier for people they would spend less time chewing over what to write, granting them more time to get their verse down, minimising no shows and the need for extensions

i don’t want to use the term “dumb it down” but essentially I think that’s the answer
Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:40 PM   #2
Eŋg
rhyme capsule.

Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg

robots and skateboards, nigga.
Eŋg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:00 PM   #3
fraze

Battle Record: 14-24

fraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant future

I agree with this to some degree. Not sure what the best way to simplify things would be, maybe throwing in some open topic weeks or bring your own pic battles.

We also might want to experiment with a shorter line cap. Longer verses don't get read and don't get votes.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:05 AM   #4
sral
Shrewd as evearthed

Battle Record: 28-3

Champed
- Gimmick Battle League
- The Winter Topical
- Topical Martyrs
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- Lyric Olympics
- Art of Writing League
- Guerrilla Writing League (2x)
- Black August II

sral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond repute

I’m not familiar with the idea of Open Topics per se, so I may need some clarification on that point as Open Topic to me suggests people can just write whatever they want. Maybe im interpreting the idea wrong, but a shorter line limit (32 max?) may be a good idea to implement alongside something like a Topic Suggestions thread and you get to choose which you want from that on-going list. We could maybe have some sort of story leads, famous quotes, idioms alongside image topics.

We could run with a hard no-extensions rule also if the topics have been made easier and line limit lowered considerably.

It may be worth trialing at least to see how it performs. One week can’t hurt.
sral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:09 AM   #5
fraze

fraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant futurefraze has a brilliant future

Yeah open topics is exactly what it sounds like. Write whatever you want and let the best verse win.

No extensions is rough if we're not on a regular weekly schedule. People have work and other lives and need to be able to schedule time to write. And some people need access to weekend time to write. Taking away exts isn't going to help have less no shows.

Also most important opinion on the subject is @Adverse. It's his league.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:21 PM   #6
sral
Shrewd as evearthed

Champed
- Gimmick Battle League
- The Winter Topical
- Topical Martyrs
- Lyric Olympics
- Art of Writing League
- Black August II

sral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond repute

lmao I definitely don’t like the idea of write what you want and best verse wins
Old 02-01-2021, 03:26 PM   #7
UPN Zuch
Spoiled brat

Battle Record: 25-3

Champed
- Now Or Never 2020
- Netcees Pic League
- NPL Season I
- Netcees Battle League
- NBL Season XV

UPN Zuch has a brilliant futureUPN Zuch has a brilliant futureUPN Zuch has a brilliant futureUPN Zuch has a brilliant futureUPN Zuch has a brilliant futureUPN Zuch has a brilliant futureUPN Zuch has a brilliant futureUPN Zuch has a brilliant futureUPN Zuch has a brilliant futureUPN Zuch has a brilliant futureUPN Zuch has a brilliant future

That league is deader than Screech. Just put it out if it’s misery.
Or pull up to ya doorstep...I’m on ya porch wavin like polite neighbors/
UPN Zuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:54 PM   #8
Adverse
low tide in serotonin bay

Battle Record: 37-28

Champed
- GWL Picture Challenge
- Guerrilla Writing League
- Black August II

Adverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant futureAdverse has a brilliant future

As far as I know Blue didn’t say the topic was too hard, he no showed because it’s a fucking topical league tbh. To me challenging pics is the whole point of a league, to spin a story from your own interpretation of the picture is what makes a topical league to me.

Problem is voters not the no showers. The fact that it’s a topical league and you’re only going to get like 10% of the sites population to notice it is the biggest problem. Honestly about to just say fuck it
Adverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:31 PM   #9
Witty
Lime Life

Battle Record: 30-41

Accomplishments
- Only Slightly Retarded

Champed
- Lyric Olympics
- Summer Classic

Witty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant future

Topic thread.

4 pics, 4 titles, 4 quotes...every week.

Let people choose whichever they want.

It makes it feel more natural and gives the writer some more freedom, but also keeps restrictions in place that a topical league has to have.

Witty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:50 PM   #10
Eviction
Detained

Battle Record: 16-11

Eviction Eviction Eviction Eviction Eviction Eviction Eviction Eviction Eviction Eviction Eviction

I signed out because it's acceptable for your opponent to drop 30 more lines than you 24 hours after seeing your verse, I know it's not against the rules but ethics is a thing, I wouldn't have had much of a problem if he didn't see my drop first and knew how much I dropped.
Eviction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:14 PM   #11
fraze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviction View Post
I signed out because it's acceptable for your opponent to drop 30 more lines than you 24 hours after seeing your verse, I know it's not against the rules but ethics is a thing, I wouldn't have had much of a problem if he didn't see my drop first and knew how much I dropped.
It feels weird to agree with you on something. But yeah, that's not great sportsmanship.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:19 PM   #12
fraze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty View Post
Topic thread.

4 pics, 4 titles, 4 quotes...every week.

Let people choose whichever they want.

It makes it feel more natural and gives the writer some more freedom, but also keeps restrictions in place that a topical league has to have.
Probably the best idea in this thread so far. Where you been at Witty?

Maybe something like..
Topic thread.
32 line cap.
Non-voting penalty (Must vote 3 times or start -3 in voting)

I'd be down to help tally, not trying to make more work for Adverse.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:21 PM   #13
Master Rock
Steadily Lurking

Battle Record: 7-7

Champed
- Netcees Writers League

Master Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant futureMaster Rock has a brilliant future

Quote:
It is about quality, not quantity. I right to inspire myself into creating tracks and force myself beyond the wall to break through the block that writers may suffer with. I care not to win nor lose, I only care about utilizing my tools. So cry me a river, I always ask for extensions because there is never enough time...and I could really care less about what you wrote. I have written less than my opponents and more at times and it never really matters....it is the substance...and if I am viewing the post it is for the topic...trust I am not inspired by you...so do not get it twisted...Period.

https://www.instagram.com/master_rock1/
https://www.youtube.com/graphicalmindz
Master Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:52 PM   #14
Eviction
Detained

Eviction Eviction Eviction Eviction Eviction Eviction Eviction Eviction Eviction Eviction Eviction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Rock View Post
It is about quality, not quantity. I right to inspire myself into creating tracks and force myself beyond the wall to break through the block that writers may suffer with. I care not to win nor lose, I only care about utilizing my tools. So cry me a river, I always ask for extensions because there is never enough time...and I could really care less about what you wrote. I have written less than my opponents and more at times and it never really matters....it is the substance...and if I am viewing the post it is for the topic...trust I am not inspired by you...so do not get it twisted...Period.
You seen my drop like 24 hours before you posted yours, you said that you would edit but was done was done imo, I would have been more lenient if you didn't see my verse before hand and had time to set on it, you could have matched and chose not to, but it's really not your fault because it's not technically against the rules, from now on if I agree to extensions it's going to be under the condition you match me, I think we are both good writers so more content will definitely come into play.

Last edited by Eviction; 02-01-2021 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:57 PM   #15
Eviction
Detained

I also swear I did not see contender match in the thread title when I done my verse and wasn't even aware it was a contender, I like to think if I knew it was a contender I would of went harder, is it just me or did they change the thread title mid-way through?
Old 02-02-2021, 01:58 AM   #16
sral
Shrewd as evearthed

Champed
- Gimmick Battle League
- The Winter Topical
- Topical Martyrs
- Lyric Olympics
- Art of Writing League
- Black August II

Quote:
I’d also like to mention that this one particular incident was just you coming up against someone with poor sportsmanship and exploiting the situation

most the league don’t/wouldn’t do that