Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Forum > Discussion Board

User Tag List

Old 02-14-2016, 10:45 PM   #61
veritas
HALL OF FAME

Battle Record: 3-5

veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas

I will wait.
@Dominate
The cerebral assassin, the molder of minds, the Omni potent being. Time transcending traveler, wisdom incarnate. Veritas needs no intro but I guess I have to. He’s not know in the battling world but who doesn’t know veritas? The guy us always original and if you pay attention to his bars, dude brings the heat.. The gawd.

Last edited by veritas; 02-14-2016 at 10:53 PM.
veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:50 PM   #62
veritas
HALL OF FAME

veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas

Bags...sig check. Your sub con is telling you the truth of your reality thru what you will say is a typo.
The cerebral assassin, the molder of minds, the Omni potent being. Time transcending traveler, wisdom incarnate. Veritas needs no intro but I guess I have to. He’s not know in the battling world but who doesn’t know veritas? The guy us always original and if you pay attention to his bars, dude brings the heat.. The gawd.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:58 AM   #63
Dominate
Tread Lightly.

Battle Record: 26-9

Champed
- Netcees Battle League
- Battle Arena
- Tag Team Tournament III
- Tag Tournament: "Omicron Variant"

Dominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigger Jim View Post
I will wait.
@Dominate
OK but in the meantime,

Are you saying that Hiram didn't know he could make a circle by attaching a rope to a fixed point?

Or

Are you claiming that the best circle you can make with a rope attached to a fixed point will have a circumference to diameter ratio that's out by about 5%?
Old 02-15-2016, 02:14 AM   #64
Dominate
Tread Lightly.

Champed
- Netcees Battle League
- Battle Arena

Dominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant futureDominate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Science means knowledge. The Bible is full of science. How did Isaiah know the world was a circle? How did Job know of the 7th star of the plieades?
@Dominate

This is the part where you just don't answer me and say I am too stupid to "get it" then tap out and come back in a few months with some new foolishness your perverted Google searches provide you.

Dad is here
OK so I started reading.

I'm not sure what your point is for the 7th star of the plieades. Maybe you can link me to something? All I turned up from googling is that the plieades is a constellation that's been known to a bunch of civilizations for thousands of years, and that it's mentioned in the bible. Are you trying to claim the bible describes something about it that wasn't already known to man at that point? You'll have to link me - I couldn't find anything.

About the world being a "circle", as you said... Well, that's pretty much the counter argument right there. The world is *not* a circle, it's a sphere. But in Job the correct translation is most definitely "circle" - the word for "sphere/ball" is used elsewhere in Job.

You can twist the interpretation to make it fit the science, but again - that's my point. Without science you would interpret it as meaning the earth is a circle - flat. Religious people DID hold this view until science conclusively disproved it. We had this conversation a while ago and I thought we got somewhere - we agreed that although (hypothetically for me) God's word is perfect, man's interpretation of it can be and has been wrong, so current interpretations of the bible could be wrong. I'm only saying something that's a logical step from that - that science/reason is needed to arrive at the correct interpretations.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:26 AM   #65
veritas
HALL OF FAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominate View Post
OK so I started reading.

I'm not sure what your point is for the 7th star of the plieades. Maybe you can link me to something? All I turned up from googling is that the plieades is a constellation that's been known to a bunch of civilizations for thousands of years, and that it's mentioned in the bible. Are you trying to claim the bible describes something about it that wasn't already known to man at that point? You'll have to link me - I couldn't find anything.

About the world being a "circle", as you said... Well, that's pretty much the counter argument right there. The world is *not* a circle, it's a sphere. But in Job the correct translation is most definitely "circle" - the word for "sphere/ball" is used elsewhere in Job.

You can twist the interpretation to make it fit the science, but again - that's my point. Without science you would interpret it as meaning the earth is a circle - flat. Religious people DID hold this view until science conclusively disproved it. We had this conversation a while ago and I thought we got somewhere - we agreed that although (hypothetically for me) God's word is perfect, man's interpretation of it can be and has been wrong, so current interpretations of the bible could be wrong. I'm only saying something that's a logical step from that - that science/reason is needed to arrive at the correct interpretations.
We need to be careful about stating what we agreed upon Dom.

I believe that the Bible is God's Word. I believe that the spirit moved upon men to write it. It is supernatural. I believe that the KJV version of the Bible is perfect modern translation. I believe that alot of those other "newer versions" change doctrine and are evil. Although alot of Christians will deny this without studying it. As for the Bible being wrong, it is not. It is man making it say what he wants it to say to fit an agenda.

Now then here is the maxim Dom: "A man can make the Bible say whatever he wants, but he cannot make it say whatever he wants consistently".

Back to the lecture at hand: You believe that man-made science (technology?) trumps God. I believe that as we gain scientific knowledge we will eventually see that we know nothing of the vastness and the complexity of this existence. Point being: Science is the dull spoon scraping against the brick wall which God built. It is our glory to scrape, it is His glory to build it.

Shall i continue or do we need to argue about this reasoning?
Old 02-15-2016, 03:31 PM   #66
Dominate
Tread Lightly.

Champed
- Netcees Battle League
- Battle Arena

Quote:
We need to be careful about stating what we agreed upon Dom.
We agreed on exactly what I just stated. Read carefully:
-----------------

God's word - the bible - is perfect.

Man is flawed, therefore his interpretation of the bible can be flawed. This doesn't mean the bible is flawed. Just that man can read it incorrectly.

------------------

This is what we agreed^

Now I'm going for the next step:

Several historical examples of incorrect interpretations exist. It's been science/reason that lead to the correct interpretation. Therefore science/reason should be embraced by religious folks as a tool which will bring them closer to the true meaning of god's words.

Having an open mind towards what science/reason tells you doesn't mean questioning god's word. It means questioning your interpretation of it.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:23 PM   #67
veritas
HALL OF FAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominate View Post
We agreed on exactly what I just stated. Read carefully:
-----------------

God's word - the bible - is perfect.

Man is flawed, therefore his interpretation of the bible can be flawed. This doesn't mean the bible is flawed. Just that man can read it incorrectly.

------------------

This is what we agreed^

Now I'm going for the next step:

Several historical examples of incorrect interpretations exist. It's been science/reason that lead to the correct interpretation. Therefore science/reason should be embraced by religious folks as a tool which will bring them closer to the true meaning of god's words.

Having an open mind towards what science/reason tells you doesn't mean questioning god's word. It means questioning your interpretation of it.
The King James Bible is the Word of God and perfect. If you see a contradiction it is merely man's inability to grasp, or an agenda, etc etc.
State your end game with me, and we will proceed. because you taking a passage like the one that started this thread to try to prove that the Bible is wrong now contradicts your words, or makes you guilty of what you just said people do.

unless you are willing to agree that you misinterpreted the passage? @Dominate

Last edited by veritas; 02-15-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:33 PM   #68
veritas
HALL OF FAME

@Dominate I just sent you a link to what you are looking for in your visitor messages.

I pray that you study it sincerely. I love you.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:27 AM   #69
Dominate
Tread Lightly.

Champed
- Netcees Battle League
- Battle Arena

Quote:
The King James Bible is the Word of God and perfect. If you see a contradiction it is merely man's inability to grasp, or an agenda, etc etc.
Right - so my point is you often NEED science/reason to realise that you haven't grasped god's word correctly, and to guide you to the correct interpretation.

Quote:
State your end game with me, and we will proceed.
I'm atheist, obviously, but I don't harbour any illusions about converting you. My "agenda" is perhaps just to see if our worldviews can be at all reconciled. I'm interested in religion as a historical and philosophical study... Like you might be interested in Egyptian mythology, perhaps. My initial post was just pointing out something I found fascinating bc I'm interested in both mathematics and religion/philosophy and hadn't been aware of this intersection of the two of them previously.

Quote:
because you taking a passage like the one that started this thread to try to prove that the Bible is wrong now contradicts your words, or makes you guilty of what you just said people do.

unless you are willing to agree that you misinterpreted the
Well, I'm atheist, so for me it's not a question of interpreting the bible correctly, but rather of whether there is a viable interpretation that can reconcile the bible with science/logic. I realise that this discussion frame is a non-starter for you though, so I'm happy to talk in terms of correct interpretations.

On this passage, I don't think you have a correct interpretation. If the vessel was intended to be circular then Hiram can't have been filled with knowledge and wisdom as claimed, because elementary tools that would've been known and available to him at the time would have rendered a more perfect circle than what was described (if the diameter was 10 cubits then his 'circumference' was out by almost 2ft... ). Somebody mentioned before you came in that perhaps the vessel wasn't a circle at all - maybe it was an oval/ellipse, or egg shaped, or some other shape that's not a circle but doesn't contradict the description given. I think it's out of place that there wouldn't be more description of this shape, but it's a more viable interpretation than a wonky circle. What do you think?

Quote:
I love you.
Gay.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #70
veritas
HALL OF FAME

Your whole point is just, honestly, not that big of a deal. You are jumping to conclusions.

This is the information the Bible chose to relay, it has nothing to do with the Bible saying Pi is not pi. This is how God wanted to relay the measurements. Would you rather him have listed it as 3.14 to ten decminal places and then converted it to cubits? Isn't it fair to say that God just rounded lol? I mean how precise did you want it to be? Should he have used a whole page of just numbers for place holders? lol cmon man.

Hiram wrought a marvelous work. Him being filled with wisdom and understanding still doesnt mean it would be perfect. But If God wanted it to be, it could. THe point is, he is a man. And he made something freaking amazing, that I don't see men making nowadays. The other point is that Solomon was wise for hiring the best people. The final point is that it is totally fair to say that God rounded and you are reaching and making faulty suppositions based upon crappy agenda filled premises.

I love you in a happy way.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #71
Dominate
Tread Lightly.

Champed
- Netcees Battle League
- Battle Arena

31 would be rounding. 30 is well off. So you're sure it was supposed to be circular then, rather than an ellipse/oval or something?

I think my point isn't insignificant. Science/reason is the tool that leads you away from incorrect interpretations and brings you closer to the true meaning of god's words. It should be embraced by religious people.

I agree that this passage doesn't make that point as strongly as others (flat earth, heliocentricity for example). I just like it because math.

Yo but answer my question - could the vessel be an ellipse?
Old 02-16-2016, 03:54 PM   #72
veritas
HALL OF FAME

It said it was round all about. I don't know. I suppose it could be.

As for rounding: 3.1 does not round to 4. 3.14 would round down to 3 not 4. I am kind of afraid of you being so much a science guy and all that and you think that the compass was around for thousands of years and that 3.1 would round up?

math = 4 and below rounds down. 5 and up rounds up.

So like if the measurement of something was 3.5 cubits it would round up to 4 cubits. But if the measurement of something was 3.1 cubits it would round down to 3 cubits.

Maybe God just but 3 because he figured an enlightened guy like yourself would have known that?

Fair?

Last edited by veritas; 02-16-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:17 PM   #73
Dominate
Tread Lightly.

Champed
- Netcees Battle League
- Battle Arena

Quote:
It said it was round all about. I don't know. I suppose it could be.

As for rounding: 3.1 does not round to 4. 3.14 would round down to 3 not 4. I am kind of afraid of you being so much a science guy and all that and you think that the compass was around for thousands of years and that 3.1 would round up?

math = 4 and below rounds down. 5 and up rounds up.

So like if the measurement of something was 3.5 cubits it would round up to 4 cubits. But if the measurement of something was 3.1 cubits it would round down to 3 cubits.

Maybe God just but 3 because he figured an enlightened guy like yourself would have known that?

Fair?
Lol @ elementary school rounding numbers. You realise I have a university degree in maths and am a maths teacher, right?

Where did I say 3.14 rounds to 4, or imply it?

If the diameter is 10 cubits then the circumference should be 10*pi = 31.141592... Which rounds to 31, not 30, as I stated.

3 isn't mentioned in the passage. 10 and 30 are.

Last edited by Dominate; 02-16-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Dominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:45 PM   #74
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Battle Record: 2-5

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

PancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond repute

Round 1 goes to Dominate.

Round 2 will consist of the next 100 posts.
And the ditch in the back road stop
Could you find me?
PancakeBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:49 PM   #75
Dominate
Tread Lightly.

Champed
- Netcees Battle League
- Battle Arena

Thanks for voting. Upping.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:06 PM   #76
Destroyer
Bags will be avenged

Battle Record: 85-58

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- Gimmick Battle League
- 1-2 Punch League (5x)
- Fight Night LXXIX
- Fight Night 4
- Netcees Battle League (2x)
- NPL Roast

Destroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant future

hey veritas,
you know that part in the bible where jesus dies and a bunch of dead people rose out of their graves and walked the earth, how'd that event manage to escape the history books??? it seems like that might be a memorable event...
philosophy.
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:41 PM   #77
veritas
HALL OF FAME

Quote:
V, the problem is not with the workmanship, it's with the description which is supposedly divinely inspired and therefore should be 100% accurate. The description is of a circle with a circumference to diameter ratio of 3, which is mathematically impossible.
HOLYRoflzords.

You flip flopping hard. It was 30 and 10 right? Right? That the result came to 3 and not 3.14 right !?

So now let me ask you.....does 3.14 round to 4....or 3? Is it possible that it wasn't a perfect circle? Or did it day it was a perfect circle? Is it possible that the 30 and 10 were rounded? Is any of this impossible or in any way negate the truth of God's word?

Your parents wasted their money on your education.

Also....if a fool like pancake says you are winning you should know you are far far from the truth.

Love you.

Edit : you know it had a rim on it and would be narrower under it? Like thing about that......I will be here.

Last edited by veritas; 02-16-2016 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:13 PM   #78
Destroyer
Bags will be avenged

Battle Record: 85-58

Accomplishments
- 50+ Wins

Champed
- Gimmick Battle League
- 1-2 Punch League (5x)
- Fight Night LXXIX
- Fight Night 4
- Netcees Battle League (2x)
- NPL Roast

Destroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant futureDestroyer has a brilliant future

Come on, that is a valid question I posed. Fair?
philosophy.
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:28 PM   #79
veritas
HALL OF FAME

@Dominate : in could use math to show you how it is still pi. The point is I would rather use reasoning to show how you err in the scriptures because you are a fool who is blinded by an agenda of foolishness. Read that 1000 page book I took the time to send you. Really study it. I challenge you. If after you still don't see then I will cut my losses and stop trying to reason with you.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:29 PM   #80
veritas
HALL OF FAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
Come on, that is a valid question I posed. Fair?
You remember that huge post I posted of all the historical evidence of Jesus death? Did that satisfy your foolishness even though it contradicted your stance? No.

Post me the kjv version of the verse and we will address it, yes?

Tags
arms 2 short 2 reach about god, christians suck at math, jesus had 2 dads n ended up ok, new testament = torah fanfic, scientology rulez, thread backfire!