Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Forum > Discussion Board

User Tag List

Old 12-05-2019, 12:24 AM   #1
Bodey

Battle Record: 1-1

Champed
- Guerrilla writing league

Bodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant future
Default how many of you have or want to

do standup comedy or open mic performances? just curious. i think either one would be pretty cool if you got decent material. obviously not as easy as it sounds
Bodey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:12 AM   #2
Objective
( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

Battle Record: 17-32

Objective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant futureObjective has a brilliant future

I've thought about joining some workshop shit for a Story Slam deal. Twice in the course of a month you can bring your material or start writing right then and there about a story in your life, it should be condensed to 6 mins of reading it. But you'll get help from everyone, how to be on stage and that kinda shit if you're completely green to it. I think I'm going to go for it after New Years when this Christmas shit is all done with. I've seen Open Mics in terms of poetry slam, seems pretty soft in the beginner leagues and want to look into that as well but the Story Slam shit is what's up nowadays around here.

Not in a million years would I ever try to do Stand Up comedy tho. That shit seem a million times tougher, also would help if I was funny tho but even then I wouldn't go for it. That shits on a different level imo.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV8ozGcGJ6o
Objective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:28 PM   #3
Answer
He / Him / His

Battle Record: 20-1

Champed
- Summer Classic IX
- Netcees Battle League
- Fight night 15

Answer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant future

The hardest part really is just overcoming the fear of not doing well. The reality is, no matter how funny you are, if you do it day in and day out, you are absolutely going to bomb at some point in your life. You can tell the same jokes on Monday and completely crush it then tell those same jokes again on Tuesday and not a single person in the room will laugh. You just have to know it's fine to fail, fall, and get up and try it again. It won't affect you.

The reality of doing open mics on a consistent basis 30% of the shows you do will be where the only people in the crowd are the 10 other comedians who have already heard your jokes a million times, and the comedians that ARE there all just want to get on stage, do their bit, and go home before you get a chance to go on stage. By the end of the night the only 3 people remaining that you have to perform in front of are tired and want to go home

Another 30% of the shows you do will be in front of a bunch of people who didn't even know there was going to be a comedy show, are trying to talk to their friends and family at the bar/table, and are pissed off that you're interrupting their dinner with dick jokes or they're just easily offended by anything you say. A lot of open mics expect you to bring 4+ people to every show (especially in major comedy cities like NY and LA), which is impossible to do on a consistent basis unless you've got some really close friends/family

One thing people may not realize about open mic stand-up is that it's not that uncommon for people to bring notes on stage (especially if its just new material you're working out) so it's not necessary to memorize everything and try to perform it perfectly. Anyone can grab a microphone and talk into it for 5 minutes. just go for it and let the chips fall where they may

Last edited by Answer; 12-05-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Answer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #4
White LGI

Battle Record: 3-3

White LGI White LGI White LGI White LGI White LGI White LGI White LGI White LGI White LGI White LGI White LGI

Fuck a duck

I'm hilarious
White LGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:18 PM   #5
uh-oh
DA GOD

Battle Record: 1-0

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

where do you go up, answer?

(comic jargon)

how many mics you hittin (barfs)

but word id like to do it in theory, but in reality, hell nah. i'd just rather be a podcast guest lmao. im not good in bar environments and my isolation the past 5ish years have made me a socially anxious weirdo in general.

im a huge fan of comedy though. so godspeed and just know pretty much everything has been done before so just be yourself. and remember to actually have punchlines.

id recommend watching kill tony too. its like i dunno probably 500 episodes deep now. its basically just an open mic but with a comedian panel, except the comics only get 1 minute, and then get roasted/interviewed by the panel. they've had some talent go through it though.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:48 PM   #6
WRATH

Battle Record: 4-4

WRATH has a brilliant futureWRATH has a brilliant futureWRATH has a brilliant futureWRATH has a brilliant futureWRATH has a brilliant futureWRATH has a brilliant futureWRATH has a brilliant futureWRATH has a brilliant futureWRATH has a brilliant futureWRATH has a brilliant futureWRATH has a brilliant future

My only issue is idk if I could rant for an hr and it be funny tho. If I understood the process of joke writing I'd be down.
WRATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:52 PM   #7
Answer
He / Him / His

Champed
- Summer Classic IX
- Netcees Battle League
- Fight night 15

Answer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant futureAnswer has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh-oh View Post
where do you go up, answer?
When I was doing it consistently it was in the Maryland/DC/Virginia area. At most I'd do like 8 or so open mics or a competition in a month, which isn't that much. Some people go out 4, 5, or more times every week. I never really took it seriously enough to do the grind of constantly going out every night to perform, it's just something I'll do every once in a while if I'm bored.

If someone really wanted to pursue it as a career, you'd most likely have to start out doing about 250+ shows a year, do a lot of networking, try to find a venue that will let you host your own shows, and travel out of state quite a bit for little to no money. When you eventually get to the point of headlining locally (meaning you need at least 30 minutes of REALLY good material, you've most likely been doing it for a year or 2, and all the local comedians should be pretty familiar with who you are) you might make like $100 - $200 per show. It's like any kind of entertainment endeavor, it's really not that much starting out.

The DMV area had a ton of places you could perform on any given night of the week. I moved to Alabama about a year and a half ago and I think I've only done it twice since then. There's only a handful of places that do open mics and half of them are cigar bars which is weird to me. Plus I've been focusing on school so I haven't been writing many new jokes.

and to @WRATH's comment, you're not gonna do an hour starting out lol. You'll be LUCKY if you can find anyone that will let you go on stage and do 15 minutes within your first year of performing. Most hosts will give you about 5 - 8 minutes tops, and I promise if you write 8 minutes of material and go on stage for the first time, you'll probably rush through it all and be out of stuff to say after 3 minutes.

but overall, I'm not trying to deter anyone from doing it. It's not hard at all, and it's fun to do. Just trying to give you realistic expectations about how it all works. I'm sure almost every comedian with a big Netflix special started out eating shit in front of empty crowds at a local bar

Last edited by Answer; 12-05-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:59 PM   #8
Aero
GOAT

Battle Record: 14-17

Champed
- Site Diss Competition
- Tag Tournament III
- Lyric Olympics
- Tag Tournament: "Omicron Variant"

Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero Aero

Bodey if you're thinking about doing it Answer is an excellent resource. Just go for it you will be fine. To answer your Q would I do stand up? Yes once I felt I had some good material. YOLO.

Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:22 PM   #9
uh-oh
DA GOD

Battle Record: 1-0

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Answer View Post
When I was doing it consistently it was in the Maryland/DC/Virginia area. At most I'd do like 8 or so open mics or a competition in a month, which isn't that much. Some people go out 4, 5, or more times every week. I never really took it seriously enough to do the grind of constantly going out every night to perform, it's just something I'll do every once in a while if I'm bored.

If someone really wanted to pursue it as a career, you'd most likely have to start out doing about 250+ shows a year, do a lot of networking, try to find a venue that will let you host your own shows, and travel out of state quite a bit for little to no money. When you eventually get to the point of headlining locally (meaning you need at least 30 minutes of REALLY good material, you've most likely been doing it for a year or 2, and all the local comedians should be pretty familiar with who you are) you might make like $100 - $200 per show. It's like any kind of entertainment endeavor, it's really not that much starting out.

The DMV area had a ton of places you could perform on any given night of the week. I moved to Alabama about a year and a half ago and I think I've only done it twice since then. There's only a handful of places that do open mics and half of them are cigar bars which is weird to me. Plus I've been focusing on school so I haven't been writing many new jokes.

and to @WRATH's comment, you're not gonna do an hour starting out lol. You'll be LUCKY if you can find anyone that will let you go on stage and do 15 minutes within your first year of performing. Most hosts will give you about 5 - 8 minutes tops, and I promise if you write 8 minutes of material and go on stage for the first time, you'll probably rush through it all and be out of stuff to say after 3 minutes.
word man. im so deep in comedy nerd mode i've caught onto most the newcomers before they were anything, and listen to so many podcasts and shit where all they talk about is this.

i followed shane gillis from obscurity to being booted from SNL lmao. his podcast and appearances have been killing for a few years now. any of the philly guys make it down around where you were at? im not sure how wide the social circles are tbh. i think i catch on to comedians as they're just breaching past open mic circles and getting opening/mc spots and shit at places like magoobies(sp) lmao
Old 12-05-2019, 03:38 PM   #10
Answer
He / Him / His

Champed
- Summer Classic IX
- Netcees Battle League
- Fight night 15

I'm bad with names, networking, and knowing who people are. I definitely remember seeing a few people in Maryland that came from Philly/Pennsylvania in general but I wouldn't be able to recognize who they are. If you watch live battling at all, I know uno lavos was doing some stand up shows a couple years ago in the Philly area, but I have no idea if he's still pursuing that. As a rapper he was always funny as shit, and he's one of the main dudes that got me into live battling for a brief period of time

Magooby's would do a stand up competition at least once or twice a year for new comedians to give them opportunities to perform longer sets for better shows. There were a couple times when I wanted to partake, but I always ended up flaking for one reason or another. Those shows would require that you bring like 4+ people and everyone has to buy 2 drinks, and there was always some kind of controversy about how the voting for the winner was executed

Last edited by Answer; 12-05-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:45 PM   #11
The Dead Poet

The Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant futureThe Dead Poet has a brilliant future

I did two open mics at a comedy club, then was asked to come back and open for some hack. I did them, they went better than I thought.....but it was fucking nerve wracking. I used to preform a lot (rap rap rap) and it was nothing like that. I haven't done it since....I kind of want to but again, i've never been so nervous in my life.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:34 PM   #12
Eŋg
rhyme capsule.

Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg Eŋg

ive done open mics numerous times. just not comedy, or music.

it aint that bad in my experience. all my anxieties are before (mostly) or after, never during. ive been told im weird for that. feels normal to me.
Eŋg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:06 PM   #13
Dope girl

Battle Record: 3-8

Dope girl has a brilliant futureDope girl has a brilliant futureDope girl has a brilliant futureDope girl has a brilliant futureDope girl has a brilliant futureDope girl has a brilliant futureDope girl has a brilliant futureDope girl has a brilliant futureDope girl has a brilliant futureDope girl has a brilliant futureDope girl has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Dope girl Send a message via Yahoo to Dope girl Send a message via Skype™ to Dope girl

I thought
Dope girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:47 PM   #14
Bodey

Battle Record: 1-1

Champed
- Guerrilla writing league

Bodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant futureBodey has a brilliant future

Where is @Badweather? I know he's done stand up here and there.

and yeah, i went to this AA convention and they had a spoken word section, there was only like 20 people there, and my friends signed me up without telling me til after the fact. cuz they know i like to write. so i went up there and i was shaking dude. wasnt even that many people in there. but i read my shit, and a lot of people perked up, it was a nice feeling. even made some of them laugh with the dark humor.

as far as stand-up comedy, i've always been curious. @Answer, i know what you're saying about having a certain amount of people being required to show up in order for you to perform. me and like 6 other friends of ours went to go support this guy we knew from work so that he could perform at this improv comedy club and it ended up being hilarious. he's hilarious at work so we didnt know how it would go but he was quite good. only up there for maybe 10-15 minutes. and it's dif when you're actually in the crowd (vs watching a netflix special). cuz even the dudes that werent funny at all, were getting laughs because of how unfunny they were lol so ironic
Bodey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:23 AM   #15
Immolate
I'm UPset

Immolate has a brilliant futureImmolate has a brilliant futureImmolate has a brilliant futureImmolate has a brilliant futureImmolate has a brilliant futureImmolate has a brilliant futureImmolate has a brilliant futureImmolate has a brilliant futureImmolate has a brilliant futureImmolate has a brilliant futureImmolate has a brilliant future

i think it'd be cool

id rather write comedy though
Old 12-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #16
Victor.
Punchline Prettyboy

Battle Record: 7-0

Champed
- Fight Night 6

Victor. has a brilliant futureVictor. has a brilliant futureVictor. has a brilliant futureVictor. has a brilliant futureVictor. has a brilliant futureVictor. has a brilliant futureVictor. has a brilliant futureVictor. has a brilliant futureVictor. has a brilliant futureVictor. has a brilliant futureVictor. has a brilliant future

Yeah I do comedy

It’s fun
Old 12-06-2019, 06:05 PM   #17
slecht
Twitter: @ricanjq

Battle Record: 4-12

Champed
- 1-2 Punch league

slecht has a brilliant futureslecht has a brilliant futureslecht has a brilliant futureslecht has a brilliant futureslecht has a brilliant futureslecht has a brilliant futureslecht has a brilliant futureslecht has a brilliant futureslecht has a brilliant futureslecht has a brilliant futureslecht has a brilliant future

I would fail.
slecht is offline   Reply With Quote