Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Vault > Archives > The Netcees archive > Writing Challenge League

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
zygote

Battle Record: 33-12

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Art of Writing League (3x)

zygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant futurezygote has a brilliant future
Default WEEK 8 REVIEW.

WRITING CHALLENGE TOURNAMENT WEEK 8 REVIEW.

Initial Note
Now as there are no future contests, there is no “threat” of punitive action for not voting. I only appeal: if you enjoyed participating in the league, show it by competing and voting to help it finish on a good note. Again, thanks to all for all your contributions throughout, we appeal to your altruism to reach a satisfying conclusion.

General Writers Review.
(1) TYSON: DNC.
(2) Nigma: Wrote about one of the richest topics in my opinion. Colonialism is still such a factor in the western world, except today they are corporations not conquistadors. I enjoyed Nigma’s submission immensely but perhaps my own high expectations of such a topic influenced my reading of his submission. The actual action during the story was described very well, the language was specifically used to show the point of view of the innocent party, E.g., “While brandishing a magic stick, instant later hands would twitch, hacked to bits.” However, the themes of exploitation and culture shock still felt somewhat under expressed. Did a good job showing the hopelessness and injustice of the situation and the technological superiority used to exploit, but I feel that these issues are the minimum rather than the standard when writing about colonialism. Awarded 1 point.
(3) Innovator: Could be the best submission yet in the challenge league written by Innovator, maybe his previous one with no letter R was better, but this current submission is up there with both that one and the grapefruit one. Mixed-metaphor stuff can sometimes come across as cliché but you really stepped up to the plate and put your cards on the table. What you wrote worked 100%. I think the gambling analogy was particularly effective because there is a lot of folklore about the devil playing these kind of games. Think to that ‘golden fiddle song’ and the old German story Faust. It has plenty of themes already built in and you took advantage of it. It wasn’t just a re-telling either, it had your distinct approach. Good subtle symbolic language as well – E.g., “he gave me eternity and I turned it down for freedom of, I.” then the ending part with – “most don’t view his spiteful eye” – just a simple homophone between I and eye, but it works as a reference to self-fulfilment/self-interest. Awarded 2 points.
(4) Adonis: DNC.
(5) NYCSPITZ: DNC.
(6) Storyteller: DNC.
(7) Objective: DNC.
(8) Pent uP: If looking from a purely 100% objective adherence to topic perspective Pent uP met the challenge perfectly. A true literal interpretation of the topic “Why is your vehicle damaged?” but it was more than that, the other part of the topic “Who are they who came with you?” – Pent uP’s response to this part was the true highlight of his submission, and I feel the difference between competing submission in the contest. Pent uP managed to expand and describe 4 characters in addition to all the relationships between the 4 characters within a relatively short word count. The action sequences of driving were well done and served as some “word candy” but it was overshadowed by the description of the interplay between the characters. Very good effort, enjoyed it a lot. Awarded 2 points.
(9) oats: DNC.
(10) Boredom: DNC.
(11) Figurative: DNC.
(12) The Artful Salopian: NS. Is signed in for this week.
(13)Coup: DNC.
(14) nO gOod!: DNC.
(15) PancakeBrah: NS.
(16) deadman: DNC.
(17) MikeWrecka: Good introspective writing, where the emotion does not come from external events/plot driven story but rather from the internal dialogue and thought. Some of the best classical fictional writers use this style, you made a very good effort here. The highlight was “your Dad will always be a loser, thats what the prophecy warned,” felt like it could have used a bit more refinement though. Perhaps if you would have committed to a specific type of language would have been perfect. The voice was strong but not entirely matched by the language. A few more nuances and idiosyncrasies in the internal dialogue would have made it feel a bit more real. Overall, enjoyed it a lot. This is probably your best so far, PancakeBrah would have had a very difficult task to try and match it. Awarded 2 points.
(18) Rawn M.D.: DNC. Is signed in for this week.
(19) Plot: NS.
(20) Mr. J: NS.
(21) Cereal Killa: DNC.
(22) TopicalDood5: DNC.
(23) Gazette: DNC.
(24) Certain: One of the best competitors in the tournament so far. Had that one loss to Rawn in the beginning, in hindsight I misjudged it, was reading some of the previous submissions by users to prepare next week’s memo. The no LN task was deceptively great. This week Certain wrote some no-show submission, it’s disappointing when people sign in but cannot compete, they should pre-emptively sign out. Also I’m disappointed Certain missed all my jokes in last week’s review of his submission. Awarded 2 points.
(25) Just Write: DNC.
(26) Rayge: DNC.
(27) Xnub: DNC.
(28) Split Eight: DNC.
(29) Brian Bryan: DNC.
(30) VERITAS: DNC.
(31) Witty: DNC.
(32) Atheist: DNC.
(33) patrown: DNC.
(34) Pinot Grij: DNC.
(35) Shogun Dinero: DNC.
(36) Word: DNC.
(37) PiE: DNC.
(38) DwnLd: DNC.
(39) Red glare: DNC.
(40) DeadLion: DNC.
(41) Defy Gravity: NS.
(42) Sharp Nine: DNC
(43) Pryde: DNC.
(44) Aesthetic: NS.
(45) Formal Logic: DNC.
(46) Lost in Thought: NS.
New Competitors
(47) YDK: STRENGTH- Published author of; “How to repetitively and continuously comment on your own OM submissions for dummies.” YDK is a good individual with a great sense of self-depreciating humour. WEAKNESS- Has never fully recovered from the scathing book review by Severus Octavius, here is a small excerpt of Unsure (2010) by Kuhn, D. – “When I read it I was SHOCKED to discover the satanic and heathenish practices hinted at in his revolting poems. Savagery, sexual predation, gore, even incest are all mockingly detailed in the pages of this horrific tome.” PREDICTION- YDK may find this week’s topic difficult considering it is his first week signed in and the topic benefits familiarity with previous topics. May need to look up some of the previous weeks.

Points record.
NAME: (POINTS) – Win/Loss/Draw/No Show.
TYSON: (0.0) – 0/0/0/2
Nigma: (12.0) – 5/2/0/0.
Innovator: (11.0) – 4/3/0/0.
Adonis: (8.0) – 2/4/0/0.
NYCSPITZ: (0.0) – 0/0/0/3.
Storyteller: (5.0) – 1/3/0/0.
Objective: (7.0) 2/3/0/0.
Pent uP: (11.0) 5/1/0/0.
oats: (4.0) – 2/0/0/0.
Boredom: (7.0) – 3/1/0/2.
Figurative: (1.0) – 0/1/0/1.
The Artful Salopian: (8.0) – 3/2/0/2.
Coup: (3.5) – 1/0/1/1.
nO gOod!: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
PancakeBrah: (11.5) – 5/0/1/1.
deadman: (2.0) – 1/0/0/2.
MikeWrecka: (14.0) – 7/0/0/0.
Rawn M.D.: (4.0) – 1/2/0/1.
Plot: (6.0) – 2/2/0/2.
Mr. J: (8.0) – 3/2/0/2.
Cereal Killa: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
TopicalDood5: (3.0) – 1/1/0/1.
Gazette: (1.0) – 0/1/0/1.
Certain Serpent: (12.0) – 5/2/0/0.
Just Write: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Rayge: (0.0) – 0/0/0/2.
Xnub: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Split Eight: (2.0) – 1/0/0/2.
Brian Bryan: (6.0) – 3/0/0/0.
VERITAS: (6.5) – 2/2/0/0.
Witty: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Atheist: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
patrown: (3.0) – 1/1/0/2.
Pinot Grij: (7.0) – 3/1/0/0.
Shogun Dinero: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Word: (1.5) – 0/1/0/1.
PiE: (3.0) – 1/1/0/1.
DwnLd: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Read Glare: (1.0) – 0/1/0/1.
DeadLion: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Defy Gravity: (3.0) – 1/1/0/1.
Sharp Nine: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Pryde: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Aesthetic: (1.0) – 0/1/0/1.
Formal Logic: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
Lost in Thought: (0.0) – 0/0/0/1.
YDK: N/A.

Memo week 8.
At the end it is the time to look back to the beginning. REFLECTION WEEK, you are required to write incorporating all or none of the last 7 weeks of general memo topics. To refresh your memory here they are in descending order beginning with the present week.
WK 8 - REFLECTION WEEK
WK 7 - CONTINUOUS TASK WEEK
WK 6 - IMITATION WEEK
WK 5 -CONSTRAINED WRITING TASK WEEK
WK 4 -LEGAL LATIN WEEK
WK 3- HYPOTHETICAL COLLABORATION WEEK
WK 2 -DIVERSITY WEEK
WK 1- DOUBLE LETTER WEEK
To reiterate, the task requires you to incorporate all or none of the preceding weekly tasks. What format, what number, what emphasis you place on specific weeks, all aspects are all up to you. I only encourage ambition, this is the final week so unshackle. In keeping with the consideration from week 4, you can if you wish include 2 sentences of explanation along with your submission to showcase or highlight your concepts. Good luck competitors. There are no specific tasks this week, just this weekly memo.

Specific contests.
12 v 18. The Artful Salopian v Rawn M.D.
24 v 17. Certain v MikeWrecka.
2 v 3. Nigma v Innovator.
8 v 47. Pent uP v YDK.
4 v 19. Adonis v Plot.

Additional content.
Five exceptional submissions.
In no order, here are 5 submissions that embody what this tournament is all about. It’s not a definitive list of the 5 most exceptional submissions, just ones that I think exemplify the concept of challenges stimulating creative writing.

Certain Serpent – http://netcees.co/showpost.php?p=102739&postcount=3

Pent uP – http://netcees.co/showpost.php?p=109167&postcount=3

Innovator – http://netcees.co/showpost.php?p=128515&postcount=4

deadman - http://netcees.co/showpost.php?p=119374&postcount=4

Pinot Grij – http://netcees.co/showpost.php?p=113692&postcount=4

General Information and FAQ.
How many weeks will the tournament go for?
There will be 8 weeks of standard competition, and a special 9nth week tiebreaker week only in the event of tied rankings.
How are rankings and record calculated?
All wins are awarded 2 points. A loss is awarded 1 point. If you “No show” you are awarded 0 points. Tied matches at the end of the voting period are awarded 1.5 points each.
Tied matches at the end of the voting period?
Voting periods will not be extended beyond the deadline, tied outcomes are O.K. Submissions due Wednesday 23:59 PST. Ext due Thursday 23:59 PST. Voting due Sunday 11:59 PST. Weekly Memo uploaded Sunday subject to schedule.
What are the voting regulations?
Standard 3 required votes any less than 3 results in a vote deduction from your contest.
What are the voting guidelines?
Long paragraphs etc are not required, any justification of your vote is sufficient, it can be simple, as long as it is not arbitrary or unexplained. Voting based on your own subjective opinion, basically how much you enjoyed either, there is no requirement for you to vote based on writings compliance to the task. I can’t speak for all voters, but you will never have a submission DQ’d for ‘not conforming’ to the topic.
What will get me banished from the tournament?
Plagiarism (including self-plagiarism of old material), double accounts, editing your submission after your opponent has also submitted or voting has commenced, any unnecessary comments creating bias for your contest.
What are the deadlines for writing?
Weekly Magazines containing the Weekly Memo (general theme) will be released, along with the specific pages containing your writing task instructions (specific tasks). Then you will have 3 days standard +1 day if required extension period to complete your writing. Voting can begin whenever the contests both have writing submissions, and will stay open for votes until the next Weekly Memo. The scheduled process should not take more than 7 days.
What should I write?
Whatever you want, the aim of the writing challenge tasks is to stimulate not restrict. There are no min or max line limits.
How are contest competitors chosen?
On sign up each competitor will be given a number. Using random.org 2 numbers are paired with each other. Match ups are always randomized rather than based on any system of high-ranking vs high-ranking etc.
What if there is an odd number of competitors for a round?
In the event of an odd number of competitors, there will be a 1v1v1 contest with all standard rules applying.
What are the sign in regulations?
Signing in is open to all for all rounds, 2 required votes for sign in to be effective after week 1 sign ins. If you no-show you are signed-out and must sign-back in to receive a matchup.
No-show repairing?
There will be no no-show repairing’s, as consideration of your effort if you are no-showed there will be an additional length review of your writing in the following memo.
Are multimedia aids allowed?
Yes. You can use pictures, videos, soundbytes, and other multimedia to aid your weekly submissions.
What does the number beside my username mean?
They don’t mean anything, they are not rankings. They are just your original sign-in number used for random assignment to tasks and contests. Note, the competitors are assigned randomly to tasks, not the other way around, so all task allocation is randomized as well.
Will there be a champion?
Yes, at the end of the 8 weeks (or if needed 9 weeks) league the highest points will be given the title of champion of writing tournament. You will receive if you wish the text underneath your user name stating “Challenge League Champion.”

Closing Weekly Comment.
We are losing steam, September is known as the suicide month for this very reason. The world is slowly and inevitably filling with lethargy, apathy and indifference. The final competitors still striving for dominance during these troubled hours are exemplars of action. They are like motivation itself in a corporeal form. Now is the time for a true resolution, but in the unlikely event of an overall tie there will be a 9nth week tiebreaker limited to the tied parties. Regardless, next week there will be a champion highlight, overall completed standings and short league reviews for every competitor who had 6 or more completed contests. Good luck to all competitors for completing your submissions.

Last edited by zygote; 09-09-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Battle Record: 40-19

Champed
- AOWL Season 3
- Art of Writing League (2x)

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I just thought you were having a stroke with all those mistakes. I noticed.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Battle Record: 2-5

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

PancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond repute

I would've handled that mW verse though
Old 09-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Certain
Mad fucking dangerous.

Battle Record: 40-19

Champed
- AOWL Season 3
- Art of Writing League (2x)

Certain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond reputeCertain has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on the championship (barring no-show), @Mike Wrecka. But I want my revenge and will beat you.

Now let's start planning a topical tournament.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Inno
Ad mini tator

Battle Record: 26-54

Champed
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Inno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond repute

great league...great mods running it

dope season..looking forward to a tourney or playoffs or what ever you decide.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Battle Record: 36-34

Champed
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

Adonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certain View Post
Congratulations on the championship (barring no-show), @Mike Wrecka. But I want my revenge and will beat you.

Now let's start planning a topical tournament.

I vote yes on this

But we would have a 3 week layoff.

Id be happy to help run, battery almost re-charged players.

@zygote every verse I submitted was better then paperclips ahahahahah

I loved that concept bro on the reals

TUPAC SHAKUR
Old 09-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
YDK
ghost in the matrix

Battle Record: 14-25

Champed
- Art of Writing League (x2)

YDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant future

Dope shit, wish I woulda joined earlier
Old 09-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
Mike Wrecka
WOW

Battle Record: 29-25

Champed
- Writing Challenge League I

Mike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDK View Post
Dope shit, wish I woulda joined earlier
i told you YDK, you kept sleeping. there will be a second incarnation of this after the upcoming topical league/tourny. i will be sure to @ you.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
YDK
ghost in the matrix

Champed

YDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant futureYDK has a brilliant future

Ok man thanks. I woulda got in sooner but been workin too much overtime an my daughter was just born 3 days ago lol
Old 09-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #10
Adonis
Tsk Tsk

Battle Record: 36-34

Champed
- NFL Pick'em 2016-17

Adonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant futureAdonis has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDK View Post
Ok man thanks. I woulda got in sooner but been workin too much overtime an my daughter was just born 3 days ago lol

Congrats bruhv

Infants saved my life

In the words of Mustafa

Enjoy the circle of life lmfao

TUPAC SHAKUR
Old 09-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #11
Rawn M.D.

Word I'm happy I got a new Dope job

But I'm also a bit peeved that I missed 2 or 3 weeks bc of that

In other news congrats ydk

Old 09-11-2013, 12:37 AM   #12
Inno
Ad mini tator

Champed
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Inno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond repute

the irony if nigma no shows
Old 09-11-2013, 12:51 AM   #13
YDK
ghost in the matrix

Champed

Thanks guys she definitely changed my life
Old 09-11-2013, 04:07 AM   #14
Boredom
Been On One

Battle Record: 26-28

Champed
- Newbie Tournament IV

Boredom has a brilliant futureBoredom has a brilliant futureBoredom has a brilliant futureBoredom has a brilliant futureBoredom has a brilliant futureBoredom has a brilliant futureBoredom has a brilliant futureBoredom has a brilliant futureBoredom has a brilliant futureBoredom has a brilliant futureBoredom has a brilliant future

no sign in's/out's for next wk?
Old 09-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #15
Mike Wrecka
WOW

Champed

Mike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant futureMike Wrecka has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredom View Post
no sign in's/out's for next wk?
this is the last week
Old 09-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #16
Nigma
The COAT...

Battle Record: 28-20

Champed
- Art of Writing League (x3)

Nigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant futureNigma has a brilliant future

@Mike Wrecka I'm going to DDoS to force a no show so I can tie you, you slimy sum bitch.

Grats on killin the league, you've been slaying the verses lately sir.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #17
Mike Wrecka
WOW

Champed

ddos = drive down or something?

no doubt nigma, i aint poppin the champagne just yet, the celebration will take place on monday, you are invited
Old 09-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #18
Zen
Arm the Homeless

Battle Record: 22-24

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Zen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant futureZen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wrecka View Post
ddos = drive down or something?

no doubt nigma, i aint poppin the champagne just yet, the celebration will take place on monday, you are invited
I'm coming to even if I'm not invited... Let me get some gas money though. Times is hard
Old 09-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #19
Inno
Ad mini tator

Champed
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigma View Post
@Mike Wrecka I'm going to DDoS to force a no show so I can tie you, you slimy sum bitch.

Grats on killin the league, you've been slaying the verses lately sir.
This mean you will show? Lol
Closed Thread