Netcees  

Go Back   Netcees > Vault > Archives > The Netcees archive > Art of Writing League > AOWL Season 8 Archive

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2018, 09:49 PM   #1
Inno
Ad mini tator

Battle Record: 26-54

Champed
- Lime Green Poetry Association
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Inno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond repute
Default OFF WE GO! NWL WEEK I MAG:

NWL WEEK I MAG

Intro video

Week I: Battle reviews

By: Innovator

Split Eight vs Diablo

Ok. So this battle has potential to be a really good one, I mean 2 titans going up against each other. Lars the old vet but always a constant threat to take you out with a verse. Split other hand doesn’t have the history behind but just raw talent that many view as one of the best. The kid has an unorthodox writing style and though hasn’t been around much, can always hang with the best of them. I personally got Lars on this because well dude is rarely caught off guard and always produces quality even in the few loses he has. Split honestly hasn’t shown in a bit and hopefully that isnt the case this week. Barring no shows this should epic, but I take Lars 60/40

Witty vs Knucklehead

This is another potential dope one here, witty is a beast. One the best to ever do it imo. Though he had a rep for no showing he’s always considered a top competitor. I believe he’s got an axe to grind with Knuck so I’m anticipating a well thought verse from witty. Knucklehead has been riding high these past months winning the SUMMER CLASSIC in stellar fashion. Then going to champ the NBL. He’s got a good shot at a text TRIFECTA LOL. So I know he’s coming with heat this season. Although Knuck has been killing it, this is wittys domain and i don’t think I’ve ever seen a Knuck topical. For that I’m giving it to witty 70/30

John Dillinger vs dead man

This one features one of the greatest if not THE greatest topical writers to grave any sight in recent memory. No one writes like dead man, facts. Everyone knows what he’s capable off. The due champ the very first season AOWL. He’s a hall of famer and a savage with the pen. John is a new member to NC and I don’t know much about him other than he’s a decent battler in the NBL. Let’s be honest he’s got his hands full here and I advice him to come with his best, this could be a proven grounds sorta thing. Setting him up for a good season. I got dead man though 80/20

Uh-Oh vs Dynomight

Ok this battle features a new sensation vs uh oh. I’ve never seen uh post a serious verse but I do know that he can write, or he used to write. I can expect uh oh to come with some humor in his verse. Dyno is s new battle cat that is killing it right now. Dude is doing his thing and if his battle skill translate to topicals he could be a dark horse in this league. Honestly I don’t know both battlers to choose no ama toss this up to preference 50/50

Bleak vs Lucipher Howlz

This is a battle of 2 unknowns in the NC topical community. Bleak is more know for battle and I’ve never seen him write an open mic. I know he’s from RB so maybe he did over there but yeah will be interesting to see what he brings to the table, I know he’s an a up an coming battlers. Though he’s gotta come with his best becuase although howlz is unknown, the dude can write. Hes posted a couple open mics that have done well. Over all I got howlz here because I’ve seen some of his writing and it’s good, bleak better bring it. 70/30

A LEGEND IN HIS OWN TIME!
PROFILES BYE: Pancakebrah

Split Eight
A legend in his own time! Split Eight is a native of Detroit and a passionate Detroit Lions fan and a true engineer (of verses!) (and cars!). He joined the site some time after I did. He left the site for a long time, for reasons unknown. I think he left right around the time Certain and Fig and CopyPat left, and then I left (only to return) for the 11th time because my friends were gone. See, writers are mercurial and mysterious and alluring by nature. Truly, enigmas. Such is Split Eight. He's returned in a low key way, hoping no one would notice. I'm sure there's some antonym phrase for Irish Exit. Irish Entrance, maybe. Split Eight did an Irish Entrance and now he's here to fuck shit up, topically. He's a funny guy, sure, but he's also a funny (emotional) writer. At his peak he was an underperforming favorite or overperforming underdog. Sometimes both! His strengths are/were phrasing and imagery but his rhyming is pretty strong in a unique way. He was one of those writers where I didn't know what the fuck the message or plot or theme of his pieces were but they were written so well and I always complimented them because I didn't want to seem stupid. He can mess around with form and formatting, and when he's on he's a top tier talent. The motivation waxes and wanes. He's just as likely to show as he is to never post again. A legend! The favorite.

dead man
A legend in his own time! Dead man is a native of Chicago and is a huge fan of liquor I can't pronounce and Chance the Rapper. The one person almost everyone on the site would think of when asked for our best writer, he barely needs an introduction. You can check the front page at any time for an example of the high quality writing he's been doing for a decade (or longer, no clue). To be quite honest I'm tired of complimenting his writing all the time. I don't think it's too much to ask for him to release a shit verse. Just, a hot pile of garbage trash. That would be refreshing! A man needs dreams. Rhyme intergalactic with tactics for once or something. Center a verse and use the word 'I' seventeen times, I dare you. Quit cigarettes and mescaline and/or mezcal for a month and see how dope you are. In all seriousness, dead man is all the attributes I lauded Split for, turned up and perfected over time. He'll have entire pieces of unique phrases/thoughts, all "flowing" perfectly with subtly complex rhymes flavored with well articulated nostalgia. A legend! The favorite.

Witty
A legend in his own time! Witty hails from Ireland and is a huge fan of Liverpool footie and questionable bars and sensible vehicles. He always says his name isn't about being witty but I have no idea what else it would be about. Like ill Nik-a isn't internet type for ill N*gga. WELL THEN WHAT THE FUCKS IT MEAN OH OBFUSCATING ONE. Have a serious name like PancakeBrah. It's not a puzzle. One of the few men on this site who can match me in drunk post count, a point of pride for grown adults like us, Witty is also a great sober (and drunk) writer. Scheme heavy, he can rhyme well (much better than fine in my opinion) and has a penchant for playing with formatting, going with super short lines focusing on message. He's had a long, decorated text career that I'm mostly unaware of. From what I've seen during my time on Netcees he's strong technically and enjoys diving into depression, nostalgia, and emotion. Which is good for writing but maybe not so good for real life. A fox! A living legend! The favorite!

uh oh
A legend in his own time! Uh Oh, born and raised in Ohio, is a fan of the Ravens who suck and breaking bones in his body then laughing at healthcare as a concept. A real bootstraps Republican, he is someone who I think is not good. But he's funny in the right amount of doses! Really! He says funny shit sometimes. And he's at least average at fantasy football. Uh oh's writing is limited, as he wants all topicals to be unlimited lines with no topics and spit to a beat and less NERDY. He's renowned for his all caps, thugged out Sean P impersonations about hot pockets and solar flares in discussion. He defeated Solstice in the first Winter Classic. This is true! You can look at the archives and everything. His appeal is as an anti-topical dadaist with a flow over everything abrasiveness. His verses stand out not because they're all caps but because they're completely different than the built over years norm of a typically 'good' topical verse. A legend! The favorite!

Diablo
A legend in his own time! Lars is from England and likes watching movies where women's labias are sawed off and used as slingshots. One of the most decorated topical writers in text history, Lars is always a threat. His writing is top tier, it has to be to have his list of accomplishments, but what separates him is his dedication. Whereas most of the elite tourney/league writers are 50/50 to show week to week, if Lars is in a league he's in to win every week. He has a baseline level of talent that allows him to push out tough to beat verses every week. When he's really going for it, he's an unparalleled storyteller. He typically forgoes the current Netcees zeitgeist of writing obliquely about the topic. Rather, he has honed the narrative approach. He can carry an interesting plot while maintaining a complex scheme like few other writers. A contender in every league he joins! A legend! The favorite!

bleak
A legend in his own time! I'll be honest, guys, I don't know if bleak is bleak, Clayton, Meth, or He whose name shall not be spoken. Literally all the same person in my memory. No clue. A literal non person. No clue where he was born. Never read his posts. I searched his name in OM. Both of pieces had the letter X in the title (tough). Both were swag and flow type pieces. Kind of light. He has a grasp of multi-syllabic rhyming, but the content didnt blow me away. But it was a small sample size! I think he can surprise me! A legend! The favorite!

xxxLUCIFER HOWLZxxx
A legend in his own time! Lucifer Howlz hails from Hell and is here to torture you for eternity for your sins. He is part of a group of writers, lead by Activate Self, who joined lmroughly six months ago and are all the same! A very dated approach to topical, from formatting to style to substance. His piece on hip hop wasn't half bad! Look for it in Open mic! My problem would be the self aggrandizing centering of verses and repetitive schemes. I think he'll be game every week, though, and could catch people sleeping. A legend! The favorite!

Knucklehead

A legend in his own time! No clue! A legend! The favorite!

John Dillinger

Dynomight

Outro

Ok guys so that’s it for now. Hope you enjoyed this little preview of what’s to come. Peep the video for what we are trying to do with the league. I will also post thread to explain what’s up aswell so look for that. I enjoyed making this and so many thanks yous to @PancakeBrah for the battler profiles it was much appreciated. Look for a more expanded mag next week for now enjoy week one. - Innovator

@Split Eight @uh-oh @Dynomight @Witty @Knucklehead @John Dillinger @bleak @Lucipher Howlz @Diablo @PancakeBrah

Last edited by Inno; 09-18-2018 at 11:26 PM.
Inno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:47 PM   #2
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Battle Record: 2-5

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

PancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond repute

Good work Inno.

As I drank more whiskey I typed more typos, as is my style.
And the ditch in the back road stop
Could you find me?

Last edited by PancakeBrah; 09-19-2018 at 12:00 AM.
PancakeBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:36 AM   #3
Meth
Back again.

Battle Record: 12-5

Champed
- Time to Kill IV
- 1-2 Punch Panic Room

Meth has a brilliant futureMeth has a brilliant futureMeth has a brilliant futureMeth has a brilliant futureMeth has a brilliant futureMeth has a brilliant futureMeth has a brilliant futureMeth has a brilliant futureMeth has a brilliant futureMeth has a brilliant futureMeth has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Meth

Lol im not bleak

Cool mag tho
Old 09-19-2018, 09:05 AM   #4
Witty
Lime Life

Battle Record: 30-41

Accomplishments
- Only Slightly Retarded

Champed
- Lyric Olympics
- Summer Classic

Witty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant future

I woke up and read this mag instantly. Very good job.
@PancakeBrah's profiles for breakfast gave me all the nutrition I need for this day.

Witty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:21 AM   #5
Witty
Lime Life

Battle Record: 30-41

Accomplishments
- Only Slightly Retarded

Champed
- Lyric Olympics
- Summer Classic

Witty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant future

Pancake for breakfast lol just seen what I did there.

I amaze myself.

Witty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:43 AM   #6
Inno
Ad mini tator

Champed
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Inno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond reputeInno has a reputation beyond repute

Lmao
Old 09-19-2018, 11:21 AM   #7
Hush
NJ Devil

Battle Record: Who Cares

Accomplishments
- Hall of Fame

Hush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant futureHush has a brilliant future

Dope
Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:50 AM   #8
~RustyGunZ~
(ง'̀-'́)ง

Battle Record: 52-28

Accomplishments
-50+ wins

Champed
-Summer Classic VIII
-Netcees Battle League
-BA Picture
-BA TagTeam
-Fight Night Cypher I
-Fight Night XXXV
-Key Grand Prix 2018 1/2

~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute~RustyGunZ~ has a reputation beyond repute

dope mag good job guys
~RustyGunZ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:16 PM   #9
Lucipher Howlz

Lucipher Howlz has a brilliant futureLucipher Howlz has a brilliant futureLucipher Howlz has a brilliant futureLucipher Howlz has a brilliant futureLucipher Howlz has a brilliant futureLucipher Howlz has a brilliant futureLucipher Howlz has a brilliant futureLucipher Howlz has a brilliant futureLucipher Howlz has a brilliant futureLucipher Howlz has a brilliant futureLucipher Howlz has a brilliant future

Really nice Mag. Good shit
Lucipher Howlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:36 PM   #10
sral
Shrewd as evearthed

Battle Record: 28-3

Champed
- Gimmick Battle League
- The Winter Topical
- Topical Martyrs
- Lyric Olympics
- Art of Writing League
- Guerrilla Writing League (2x)
- Black August II

sral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond repute

So am I right in thinking this is almost like a topical spin on the Lyric Olympics format where there will be diff challenges each week in terms of S&F, haikus, topical writing etc?

I didn’t realise that was the idea from the initial sign-ups post. It’s almost like the LGPA with a few bits of the LO shit thrown in?
sral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:11 PM   #11
uh-oh
DA GOD

Battle Record: 1-0

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

dope. i forgot i beat soulstice. honestly i forget who soulstice is but i remember beating some heralded nerd who got butthurt because it wasn't a thoughtful poem. i'm gonna go look it up because i assume whatever i wrote was terrible.

also libertarian* not republican. everything else i agree with

solid job inno and cakerson
Old 09-20-2018, 07:24 PM   #12
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Battle Record: 2-5

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

PancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond repute

You won mostly because Soulstice didnt write about the topic at all. But also mostly because of bars.
And the ditch in the back road stop
Could you find me?
PancakeBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:31 PM   #13
uh-oh
DA GOD

Battle Record: 1-0

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

BARS

and to think i was contemplating no showing this like some filthy JIDROOL

i'm bout to key up my verse right now. eat shit @Dynomight you eloquent bastard
Old 09-20-2018, 11:16 PM   #14
Inno
Ad mini tator

Champed
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraL View Post
So am I right in thinking this is almost like a topical spin on the Lyric Olympics format where there will be diff challenges each week in terms of S&F, haikus, topical writing etc?

I didn’t realise that was the idea from the initial sign-ups post. It’s almost like the LGPA with a few bits of the LO shit thrown in?
Some thing like that. But LPGA was more focused on poetry basically reverse it and think of it as the LO with sprinkles of LPGA
Old 09-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #15
sral
Shrewd as evearthed

Battle Record: 28-3

Champed
- Gimmick Battle League
- The Winter Topical
- Topical Martyrs
- Lyric Olympics
- Art of Writing League
- Guerrilla Writing League (2x)
- Black August II

sral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond reputesral has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting.

Tough to champ.

Glad I signed in as Diablo though lol
sral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:33 PM   #16
Cereal
killa

Battle Record: 1-6

Cereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant futureCereal has a brilliant future

dope
Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:14 PM   #17
Split Eight
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Battle Record: 3-5

Champed
- Haiku Writers Challenge

Split Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond reputeSplit Eight has a reputation beyond repute

Lmao. Great mag, thanks to all who contributed

Sorry for the no show, my email isn't tied to NC's so I missed the mention. Here for really this week.

Lol@ detroit sports teams, though the Lions beat the Patriots and the Red Wings beat the Bruins this week and I was at both games :(

when I write, lately, I feel as if I begin by stringing together ambient ideas and concepts, then i realize I'm just typing the words coffee, tawdry, and autumn over and over and over, again, then I pass out dru-
Split Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:48 PM   #18
Inno
Ad mini tator

Champed
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Dont toy with me split
Old 09-25-2018, 11:58 PM   #19
Big Bolo
B on the look out

Big Bolo Big Bolo Big Bolo Big Bolo Big Bolo Big Bolo Big Bolo Big Bolo Big Bolo Big Bolo Big Bolo

Yo dope write up for sure, a lot of info in here but yeah I'm scared I'll get sneezed on if I press play on that video.cool stuff man
Big Bolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:10 AM   #20
Inno
Ad mini tator

Champed
- Black August
- 1-2 Punch League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bolo View Post
Yo dope write up for sure, a lot of info in here but yeah I'm scared I'll get sneezed on if I press play on that video.cool stuff man
Lol eat a bag of dicks lol

Tags
amen wife plays in the mlb, amens wife is amens husband