oats
Steel Cut

Battle Record: 19-10

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

oats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant future
Default Bookcees revived

my list of books read in 2017. everyone else who like to read should follow suit.

1. On Writing by Stephen King (4/5)
2. Your Republic is Calling You by Young Ha Kim (4/5)
3. Kafka On the Shore by Haruki Murakami (5/5)
4. The Guest by Hwang Sok Yong (4/5)
5. After Dark by Haruki Murakami (4/5)
6. The Vegetarian by Han Kang (4/5)
7. American Nations by Collin Woodard (5/5)
8. The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut (4/5)
9. I'll Be Right There by Kyung Sook Shin (4/5)
10. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (5/5)
11. Without You There Is No Us by Suki Kim (4/5)
12. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (5/5)
13. I Have the Right to Destroy Myself by Young Ha Kim (3/5)
14. Sightseeing by Rattawut Lapcharoensap (4/5)
15. Atlas of Cursed Places by Olivier Le Carrer (3/5)
16. My Financial Career and Other Follies by Stephen Leacock (3/5)
17. Joseph Anton by Salman Rushdie (4/5)
18. Lua: Art of the Hawaiian Warrior by Richard Paglinawan (4/5)
19. Me by Tomoyuki Hoshino (3/5)
20. The Red Shark by Ruth Tabrah (4/5)

Just finished The Red Shark today, about a kid from Chicago who moves to Hawaii. It's young adult fiction, but surprisingly well-crafted. Very different from the YA style of today, I think, which overemphasizes simplistic vocabulary and structure. Still maintains the breeziness of YA, but in a way that's not off-putting for older readers. I really enjoyed the story, too. If you have kids who like to read, or if you like YA stuff from time to time (as I do), definitely recommend it.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:59 AM   #2
Mr. J
The Clown Prince

Battle Record: 35-45

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Mr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant future

Finished Wuthering Heights awhile back I'd give it a strong 4/5

Going to get around to reading Mythology & maybe tackle Anna Karenina.

Reading Stardust right now though
Old 06-22-2017, 05:34 AM   #3
Tha Pastor Reach Yeah
Allan o dywyllwch

Battle Record: 10-0

Champed
- AOWL Season 7
- Art of Writing League

Tha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
Finished Wuthering Heights awhile back I'd give it a strong 4/5

Going to get around to reading Mythology & maybe tackle Anna Karenina.

Reading Stardust right now though
Wuthering Heights is good. I used to massively be into the classic gothic genre.

Have you tried the likes of Melmoth the Wanderer, Castle of Otranto, Uncle Silas, The Woman in White..?

I'll think of some more later.

Stardust is the Neil Gaiman book, right?
Tha Pastor Reach Yeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:44 AM   #4
oats
Steel Cut

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

oats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant future

I have respect for the romantic/Victorian classics, but I can't say I enjoyed many of them. Wuthering Heights was aite, and I mostly enjoyed Vanity Fair. 20th and 21st century lit all day for me though.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
Ghost1

Battle Record: 0-1

Ghost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant future

niiiice

ill get my list up maybe tomorrow

finished freakonomics.....shit was fire. I think I prefer gladwell but these guys were very dope. the abortion bit was beautiful/

midway thru the social animal by Elliot Aranson....couldn't get this on audio anywhere and was barely able to get the shit in PDF...on amazon they want 80 bucks for this shit LMAO ....anyways its super dope

also midway thru gladwells david and goliath. fire fire fire/

been reading that social animal book on my kindle fire...I like the kindle a lot but the screen is a little small.....you guys use e readers? thinking about maybe a paperwhite? suggestions?
Not saying being drunk doesn’t mess up you reasoning. I’m turning 20 soon so I haven’t had a drink ever.
Ghost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:41 AM   #6
uh-oh
DA GOD

Battle Record: 1-0

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

i use the kindle app on my phone. i got the G6 tho so its kind of a big phone. not like my old note but it works.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #7
Ghost1

Ghost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant future

what all does the kindle app do tho.....do u get free e books....? or is it just a pdf viewer?
Not saying being drunk doesn’t mess up you reasoning. I’m turning 20 soon so I haven’t had a drink ever.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:44 AM   #8
veritas
HALL OF FAME

Battle Record: 3-5

veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas veritas

I have read the following since the end of March (no audiobookmo)

1. Thirty Seven essays on life, wisdom and masculinity by Quintus Curtius (3/5) a decent breezy read. Some essays are much better than others

2. Tools of Titans by Tim Ferris (5/5) THE MANUAL. so much. So good. A life book that you will go back to time and again. Must buy.

3. 11/22/63 by Stephen King (3/5) A better book than most, but not King's best. Still enjoyed

4. American Gods by Neil Gaiman (3/5) a decent book, a great premise, it sort of fell off at the end

5. Find out anything from anyone anytime (4/5) a very good and practical interrogation manual. Enjoyed.

6. Kafka on the shore by Murakami (3/5) the fool who talks to cats was a great character....kafka was ok, and the whole love angle was weird. The end was meh.

7. Time and again By Jack Finley (5/5) this book was the inspiration for 11/22/63 and is superior and very much ahead of its time. much recommendations.

8. Darwin's Doubt by Meyer (5/5) yet another scientific manual which destroys Darwin's theory of evolution. You fools would shun this book due to your liberal agendas.

9. Valis by PKD (5/5) So dope. Mind bending

10. The Divine invasion by PKD (4/5) book 2 of the trilogy, not as good, but still dope

11. The transmigraton of Timothy Archer by PKD (5/5) book 3 of the trilogy and super dope. OVerall read the trilogy for a sci-fi look into madness and religion.

12. Assisted the autobio of John stockton by John Stockton (5/5) What an amazing human being. Must read.

13. Grit by Duckworth (4/5) a Dope book. and knowledge that would benefit alot of you.

14. The way of the superior man by Deidre (5/5) this is a MUST READ for any man who wants to increase his ability with women. A life book. read often and often
The cerebral assassin, the molder of minds, the Omni potent being. Time transcending traveler, wisdom incarnate. Veritas needs no intro but I guess I have to. He’s not know in the battling world but who doesn’t know veritas? The guy us always original and if you pay attention to his bars, dude brings the heat.. The gawd.
veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:05 AM   #9
uh-oh
DA GOD

Battle Record: 1-0

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bags View Post
what all does the kindle app do tho.....do u get free e books....? or is it just a pdf viewer?
its just a kindle on your phone basically. i like it better than my actual kindle because my phone screen is backlit, unlike my old kindle which is that dull horseshit supposed to be easy on the eyes but you can't read without a light on

but yea it has the kindle store and all that, keeps track of where your at in books, you can sync it with the audio books too so wherever you leave off in one it will pick up with the other, i don't do audio books but its supposed to do that.

you can get kindle unlimited which is 10 bucks a month i think and read from millions of the books included with that.

im not a huge reader though so i'll just buy a book here and there outright.

kindle unlimited might be better for you though, espescially since you read old classics and other shit. all of those are for sure included, its basically all books that wouldn't sell well anymore on their own
Old 06-22-2017, 09:09 AM   #10
Ghost1

nice list v gonna peep some of those

and word to uh oh...my kindle fire is backlit....its the main reason I like it so much.an yea I need to look into kindle & the app more I only just yesterday started using it.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #11
Tha Pastor Reach Yeah
Allan o dywyllwch

Champed
- AOWL Season 7
- Art of Writing League

Tha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant futureTha Pastor Reach Yeah has a brilliant future

I'll re-do my list:

1. Alive in Christ - Stuart Olyott 3/5
2. Dare To Stand Alone - Stuart Olyott 4/5
3. God Strengthens - Derek Thomas 4/5
4. Exodus For You - Tim Chester 3/5
5. Born Before Midnight - A.W. Tozer 4/5
6. Memoirs of Thomas Boston 5/5
7. 2000 Years of Christ's Power Vol. 3 - Nick Needham 4/5
8. Glory of Christ - John Owen 4/5
9. Desiring God - John Piper 4/5
10. The Great Ejection - Gary Brady 3/5
11. The Holiness of God - R.C. Sproul 5/5
12. Expository Sermons in Revelation Vol. 1 - W.A. Chriswell 4/5

New Graphic Novels for this year:

1. Batman Eternal Vol. 1 - Scott Snyder 4/5
2. Batman Eternal Vol. 2 - Scott Snyder 3/5
3. Flashpoint - Geoff Johns 4/5
4. Flash: Savage World - Robert Venditti 3/5
5. Flash: Zoom - Robert Venditti 3/5
6. Justice League: Origin - Geoff Johns 1/5
7. Old Man Logan - Mark Millar 4/5

Currently reading Confessions - Saint Augustine and Expository Sermons in Revelation Vol. 2 - W.A. Chriswell.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:53 PM   #12
Mr. J
The Clown Prince

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Mr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant futureMr. J has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Pastor Reach Yeah View Post
Stardust is the Neil Gaiman book, right?
That's the one.

I'm working around a few of his books lately.

Check out Good Omens that seems up your alley
Old 06-22-2017, 08:35 PM   #13
boof

boof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant future

just read the existentialism is a humanism lecture by jean-paul sartre

thought it was pretty good but it sounds like he was still in the process of trying to figure shit out

will check out a lot of these in here, appreciate it
boof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:35 AM   #14
Tha Pastor Reach Yeah
Allan o dywyllwch

Champed
- AOWL Season 7
- Art of Writing League

Quote:
That's the one.

I'm working around a few of his books lately.

Check out Good Omens that seems up your alley
Haven't heard of that one.

I've read American Gods, Neverwhere and Anansi Boys. I think Neverwhere is my favourite, although probably because it was the first one of his I've read and it blew me away. I'd never read anything quite like that before. American Gods is probably the best, but those 3 are all in quite a similar vein really.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:49 AM   #15
Ghost1

Finished David and Goliath and the social animal

Loved both

Also having read the physical text of the social animal I determined I can actually read faster than I can get thru an audio book even with the speed multiplied

Still the convenience of audiobooks are unparalleled
Old 06-23-2017, 02:07 PM   #16
Mr. J
The Clown Prince

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Quote:
Haven't heard of that one.

I've read American Gods, Neverwhere and Anansi Boys. I think Neverwhere is my favourite, although probably because it was the first one of his I've read and it blew me away. I'd never read anything quite like that before. American Gods is probably the best, but those 3 are all in quite a similar vein really.
Word. Neverwhere was great. Especially when they cross the bridge to the market.

Sandman is what got me hooked though. That interpretation of Midsummer's Night Dream & the battle in Hell for his helm.

Good Omens was done with Terry Prachett. Funny book imo. The ending is what really pushed my fandom over the edge though

Currently working through Beyond Good & Evil right now alongside this book on Pit Bulls

I finished the Tao Te Ching awhile back
Old 06-23-2017, 03:51 PM   #17
Tha Pastor Reach Yeah
Allan o dywyllwch

Champed
- AOWL Season 7
- Art of Writing League

Quote:
Word. Neverwhere was great. Especially when they cross the bridge to the market.

Sandman is what got me hooked though. That interpretation of Midsummer's Night Dream & the battle in Hell for his helm.

Good Omens was done with Terry Prachett. Funny book imo. The ending is what really pushed my fandom over the edge though

Currently working through Beyond Good & Evil right now alongside this book on Pit Bulls

I finished the Tao Te Ching awhile back
Sandman's dope. Was left really sad when he died. Still feel sad about it tbh!
Old 06-24-2017, 11:43 AM   #18
Mr. J
The Clown Prince

Champed
- Art of Writing League

Quote:
Sandman's dope. Was left really sad when he died. Still feel sad about it tbh!
Agree 100%

Stardust is 4/5 for me I'm just about done.

Good Omens is 5/5 for me personally.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:55 AM   #19
oats
Steel Cut

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

1. On Writing by Stephen King (4/5)
2. Your Republic is Calling You by Young Ha Kim (4/5)
3. Kafka On the Shore by Haruki Murakami (5/5)
4. The Guest by Hwang Sok Yong (4/5)
5. After Dark by Haruki Murakami (4/5)
6. The Vegetarian by Han Kang (4/5)
7. American Nations by Collin Woodard (5/5)
8. The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut (4/5)
9. I'll Be Right There by Kyung Sook Shin (4/5)
10. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (5/5)
11. Without You There Is No Us by Suki Kim (4/5)
12. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (5/5)
13. I Have the Right to Destroy Myself by Young Ha Kim (3/5)
14. Sightseeing by Rattawut Lapcharoensap (4/5)
15. Atlas of Cursed Places by Olivier Le Carrer (3/5)
16. My Financial Career and Other Follies by Stephen Leacock (3/5)
17. Joseph Anton by Salman Rushdie (4/5)
18. Lua: Art of the Hawaiian Warrior by Richard Paglinawan (4/5)
19. Me by Tomoyuki Hoshino (3/5)
20. The Red Shark by Ruth Tabrah (4/5)
21. The Domino Diaries by Brin-Jonathan Butler (4/5)

Just finished Domino Diaries, been reading it for a while since I tend to read e-books a little more slowly. But it was dope. BJB is one of my favorite boxing writers. This detailed his 10 years (on and off) living in Cuba talking to great Cuban boxers, investigating why some boxers turn down millions of dollars to defect from Cuba, while some take the money. Dope book, if you're interested in boxing and/or Cuba, def recommend it.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:37 AM   #20
Ghost1

1. Art of war by Sun Tzu (5/10)
2. 48 laws of power by Robert Greene (7/10)
3. how to influence people and make friends by Dale Carnegie (6/10)
4. the power of now by Eckhart Tolle (8/10)
5. think and grow rich by Napolean Hill (7/10)
6. the little prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (8/10)
7. outliers by Malcom Gladwell (8/10)
8. the power of the subconscious mind by Joseph Murphy (6/10)
9. Animal Farm (8/10)
10. Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (8/10)
11. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (9/10)
12. Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy (10/10)
13. Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy by Douglas adams (9/10)
14. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (9/10)
15. 11/22/63 by Stephen King (10/10)
16. The Stand by Stephen King (10/10)
17. The power of the dog by Don Winslow (10/10)
18. Astrophysics for people in a hurry by Neil DeGrasse Tyson (10/10)
19. The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow (10/10)
20. A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson (6/10)
21. What Every Body is Saying: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Speed-Reading People by Joe Navarro (7/10)
22. Ego is the enemy by Ryan Holiday (7/10)
23. King, Warrior, Magician, Lover: Rediscovering the Archetypes of the Mature Masculine by Robert Moore and Douglass Gillette (10/10)
24. Modern man in search of a soul by Carl Jung (8/10)
25. IT by Stephen King (10/10)
26. The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker (6/10)
27. The Scarlet Gospels by Clive Barker (10/10)
28. Marley and Me by John Grogan (8/10)
29. The Lucifer Effect by Philip Zimbardo (7/10)
30. The Social Animal by Elliot Aronson (10/10)
31. The subtle art of not giving a fuck by Mark Manson (6/10)
32. Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner (8/10)
33. David and Galiath by Malcom Gladwell (8/10)

having a current panic attack cuz I feel like maybe I missed a book since I haven't updated this in weeks.....but I think that's all of them....

been loving my kindle.

so I think the only book in my last 5 I didn't mention was the subtle art of not giving a fuck.......this shit did not live up to its name. what a let down. it was like listening to uh oh narrate and explain social psychology if he actually wanted to live past 40. was some gems littered thru out but ultimately this guys a fagot.

half way thru American gods and man I really want to dig this shit.........but right now I feel like I just don't get the hype over this? we shall see.....I will finish it in the next day or 2

also reading don winslow the force.......now this shit man.....this shit is like the wire and goodfellas set in present day NYC....idk why people are sleeping on don winslow but it makes me furious.