Old 09-03-2017, 04:55 AM   #121
uh-oh
DA GOD

Battle Record: 1-0

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

AIGHT so i'll make my list too

1. 1177 BC the year civilization collapsed by Eric Cline(4/10)
2. How Great Generals win by Bevin Alexander (7/10)
3. Game Of Thrones by George RR Martin (9/10)
4. A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin (9/10)
5. A Storm of Swords by George RR Martin (10/10)
6. A Feast For Crows by George RR Martin (8/10)
7. A Dance of Dragons by George RR Martin (8/10)
8. The World of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin (7/10)
9. Rogues by a bunch of people (6/10)
10. Dangerous Women by a bunch of people (6/10)
11. A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms by George RR Martin (7/10)

word. the first book, 1177 was a borefest so i only gave it a 4/10 even though it was pretty interesting to me. i wanted to delve deeper into "the sea peoples" but so little is known about them it was fruitless. that said there was alot of shit about civilizations of the time in general, and it goes into depth about reasons why there was a big "collapse" of overall society towards the end of the bronze age and beginning of the iron age. so while boring i give it the 4 for its interesting bits.

how great generals win is more of the same, but it goes indepth on some strategies and tactics employed by the greatest generals in human history. from hannibal and scipio to more modern dudes and the ghengis khans in between. there was a decent amount of opinion and HYPOTHESIS' regarding future wars which i couldve did without but there were dope chapters. but all the robotics could be the future leading to precision strike teams being the only soldiers although ringing of truth couldve been left out.

everything else was a re-read. obviously the song of ice and fire series. the only reason i gave the first and second books 9/10 instead of the full 10, was because imo a storm of swords was the best book of the series so far. it was just better then the others so i dropped them to 9's. a feast for crows and a dance of dragons were both MASSIVE, and really only 1 book. each was just so massive with so many new characters it was split into two, but as far as story progression goes it was one book. for this reason i dropped each to 8, but the re-read was well worth it. my first read through i kind of skimmed it seems past character chapters i didn't care for to get to the tyrion/jon snow/jamie lannister etc's but i took my time with the read through this time and the newer characters, victarion, arianne martell, even sansa chapters had dope shit giving a wider understanding of the world and goings on.

the world of ice and fire again was a dope read, but its more a history book of a fake world, so while i enjoyed it, its not really a page turner. but more knowledge on things was cool. wish they wouldn't have stolen my book of sha'bat style (pages smeared can't read) tactic for the summerhall bit, but it makes sense because of dunk and egg still being a thing

which leads me to a knight of the seven kingdoms, which i re-read in one sitting yesterday while my internet was bogged down downloading nonsense. its 3 novellas following duncan the tall and a young aegon targaryen, brother to aemon who was the maester at the wall in modern game of thrones books. they read like teen novels, except for the language, (cunt, fucks, rape your face etc.) but they are quick and enjoyable and help flesh out the world as well. with appearances by brynden rivers (the blood raven/three eyed crow that teaches bran) and some others. i enjoyed them but its quick and easy writing for martin.

rogues, and dangerous women, are compilations of short stories by modern fantasy writers. i got rogues for patrick rothfuss' story as well as martins. rothfuss followed bast, the demon dude innkeep assistant to kvothe, it was aight. martins short stories in both books couldve been in the world of ice and fire. written like a history not a story. both following targaryens of the past, and i guess both are going into his next big book about the targeryans pre-dance of dragons im pretty sure

but word figured i'd add this since i sat and read that knight of the seven kingdoms horseshit yesterday
Old 09-03-2017, 08:06 AM   #122
oats
Steel Cut

Battle Record: 19-10

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

oats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant future

tried to rep but couldn't @uh-oh
Old 09-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #123
Ghost1

Battle Record: 0-1

Ghost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant future

Got a few I can add here sometime in the next day or 2

Good shit uh oh

So...ur sayin...u like game of thrones? Lmao

Nah but good to have some1 beside fsgot oats itt...

Speaking of homie fagit oatmeal

YO

Currently reading hardboiled wonderland and the end of the world or whatever by Murakami and YOOOOOOOOOOOOO this shot is so fire lol

Idk what I was really expecting from this guy but legit nothing like this. Absolutely floored. I'm like 7 chapters in and already know it's gonna be a 10/10 for me
Not saying being drunk doesn’t mess up you reasoning. I’m turning 20 soon so I haven’t had a drink ever.
Ghost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:51 AM   #124
uh-oh
DA GOD

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

uh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant futureuh-oh has a brilliant future

yea, this is what i read this year THO

i tried other shit last year, joe abercrombie, scott lynch, robin hobb. it was all meh though. so i re-read those this year when im crashing out or shitting.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:09 AM   #125
oats
Steel Cut

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

oats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant futureoats has a brilliant future

@Bags Murakami is dope man. super weird in all the right ways.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:00 PM   #126
boof

boof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant futureboof has a brilliant future

checked out the power of now thanks to @Bags and i've been reading the first chapter over and over for 3 weeks
boof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:24 PM   #127
Ghost1

Ghost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant futureGhost1 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by boof View Post
checked out the power of now thanks to @Bags and i've been reading the first chapter over and over for 3 weeks
That book very literally changed the way I look at life

8/10 in retrospect seems unfair

His chapter on menstruation thru me for a loop and may have had a part in influencing that rating lol.

But nice man glad you picked it up
Not saying being drunk doesn’t mess up you reasoning. I’m turning 20 soon so I haven’t had a drink ever.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:56 AM   #128
Ghost1

1. Art of war by Sun Tzu (5/10)
2. 48 laws of power by Robert Greene (7/10)
3. how to influence people and make friends by Dale Carnegie (6/10)
4. the power of now by Eckhart Tolle (8/10)
5. think and grow rich by Napolean Hill (7/10)
6. the little prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (8/10)
7. outliers by Malcom Gladwell (8/10)
8. the power of the subconscious mind by Joseph Murphy (6/10)
9. Animal Farm (8/10)
10. Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (8/10)
11. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (9/10)
12. Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy (10/10)
13. Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy by Douglas adams (9/10)
14. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (9/10)
15. 11/22/63 by Stephen King (10/10)
16. The Stand by Stephen King (10/10)
17. The power of the dog by Don Winslow (10/10)
18. Astrophysics for people in a hurry by Neil DeGrasse Tyson (10/10)
19. The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow (10/10)
20. A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson (6/10)
21. What Every Body is Saying: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Speed-Reading People by Joe Navarro (7/10)
22. Ego is the enemy by Ryan Holiday (7/10)
23. King, Warrior, Magician, Lover: Rediscovering the Archetypes of the Mature Masculine by Robert Moore and Douglass Gillette (10/10)
24. Modern man in search of a soul by Carl Jung (8/10)
25. IT by Stephen King (10/10)
26. The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker (6/10)
27. The Scarlet Gospels by Clive Barker (10/10)
28. Marley and Me by John Grogan (8/10)
29. The Lucifer Effect by Philip Zimbardo (7/10)
30. The Social Animal by Elliot Aronson (10/10)
31. The subtle art of not giving a **** by Mark Manson (6/10)
32. Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner (8/10)
33. David and Galiath by Malcom Gladwell (8/10)
34. American Gods by Neil Gaiman (8/10)
35. Blink by Malcom Gladwell (8/10)
36. The Holy Bible (NIV) (10/10)
37. Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson (10/10)
38. The Book of 5 Rings by Miyamoto Musashi (7/10)
39. Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate (6/10)
40. The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined by Stephen pinker (9/10)
41. Thinking Fast and Slow By Daniel Kahneman (9/10)
42. so you've been publicly shamed by Jon Ronson (6/10)
43. Everybody Lies: Big Data, New Data, and What the Internet Can Tell Us About Who We Really Are by Seth Stephens-Davidowitz (7/10)
44. what the dog saw by Malcom Gladwell (8/10)
45. A Brief History of time by Stephen Hawking (10/10)
46. Psychological Types by Carl Jung (10/10)
47. The Force by Don Winslow (7/10)
48. Narconomics, how to run a drug cartel by Tom Wainwright (9/10)
49. Resisting Happiness by Matthew Kelly (9/10)
50. The Hyperbole House by James Murphy
51. Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess by Bobby Fischer, Stuart Margulies, Don Mosenfelder (8/10)
52. Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets by Nassim Nicholas Taleb (7/10)
53. The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion by Jonathan Haidt (10/10)
54. Shoe Dog by Phil Knight (8/10)
55. Guns, Germs & Steel by Jared Diamond (7/10)
56. The Cartel by Don Winslow (7/10)
57. Mistakes Were Made (But Not By Me) by Carol Tavris and Elliot Aronson (7/10)
58. As a man Thinketh by James Allen (7/10)
59. Fight Club by Chuck Palahnuik (9/10)
60. The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine by Michael Lewis (10/10)
61. Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami (10/10)

big short was dope....I watched the movie a while back but the book def goes into greater detail and makes the topic more understandable also the characters were portrayed so well.....loved them. love Lewis writing style.

murakami is straight fire. that was my first book from him.....literally blew my mind into the stratosphere.....im not a fantasy guy at all but I dug this a lot.....like a non cornball version of fantasy.....idk really how to even describe it but easily one of my fav fiction books ive read this year....going to peep more of his work for sure.

any1 ever read house of leaves? I just started it the other night.......man its so wild lol I really like it so far.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #129
Amen
As-salamu alaykum!

Battle Record: 19-8

Champed
- 1-2 Punch League Season 6

Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen Amen

The Big Short movie was terrible.
Amen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:16 AM   #130
Ghost1

really? why? I thought it was dope
Old 09-06-2017, 11:58 PM   #131
oats
Steel Cut

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

1. On Writing by Stephen King (4/5)
2. Your Republic is Calling You by Young Ha Kim (4/5)
3. Kafka On the Shore by Haruki Murakami (5/5)
4. The Guest by Hwang Sok Yong (4/5)
5. After Dark by Haruki Murakami (4/5)
6. The Vegetarian by Han Kang (4/5)
7. American Nations by Collin Woodard (5/5)
8. The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut (4/5)
9. I'll Be Right There by Kyung Sook Shin (4/5)
10. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (5/5)
11. Without You There Is No Us by Suki Kim (4/5)
12. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (5/5)
13. I Have the Right to Destroy Myself by Young Ha Kim (3/5)
14. Sightseeing by Rattawut Lapcharoensap (4/5)
15. Atlas of Cursed Places by Olivier Le Carrer (3/5)
16. My Financial Career and Other Follies by Stephen Leacock (3/5)
17. Joseph Anton by Salman Rushdie (4/5)
18. Lua: Art of the Hawaiian Warrior by Richard Paglinawan (4/5)
19. Me by Tomoyuki Hoshino (3/5)
20. The Red Shark by Ruth Tabrah (4/5)
21. The Domino Diaries by Brin-Jonathan Butler (4/5)
22. The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings (4/5)
23. Black Flower by Young Ha Kim (4/5)
24. Unfamiliar Fishes by Sarah Vowell (4/5)
25. What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami (3.5/4)
26. The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald (3/5)
27. The Bittersweet Science by various writers (4.5/5)
28. Please Look After Mom by Kyung Sook Shin (4/5)

A novel about a Korean mother who goes missing in Seoul, told from the perspectives of the family members. Secrets from their mother's life come out, causing them to search for her more desperately and hopelessly. Really hits you in the feels over and over. It'll make you want to call your mom and tell her you love her at various points throughout.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:59 PM   #132
oats
Steel Cut

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

ayo @Bags @uh-oh @Witty @Diode @anyone else who might be down - what do you guys think about starting a book club next year. we take turns choosing one book a month to read and TALK ABOUT IT. On some next level Bookcee shit. lmk if you're down.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #133
Diode
PR's Finest

Battle Record: 12-7

Diode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond reputeDiode has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oats View Post
ayo @Bags @uh-oh @Witty @Diode @anyone else who might be down - what do you guys think about starting a book club next year. we take turns choosing one book a month to read and TALK ABOUT IT. On some next level Bookcee shit. lmk if you're down.
i mean i can try but it's hard to accomplish anything with an 8 month old
Old 09-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #134
Ghost1

in on book club obv

been meaning to join one that meets in person but haven't made much effort

oh an I peeped that McGregor boxing article in ur read of the week and thought it was dope. didn't read the other article
Old 09-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #135
oats
Steel Cut

Accomplishments
- OM HOF (2x)

Champed
- Fight Night LXXXIV
- Art of Writing League

@Diode no joke, if you just take a book with you when you take a shit I guarantee you can read a book a month. Even fathers take shits. You can choose the first book, too.

Glad you gave it a look, bagatron. The other one takes a while, but it's worth it. I usually read longer pieces like that in chunks across a number of days.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:08 AM   #136
Witty
Lime Life

Battle Record: 30-41

Accomplishments
- Only Slightly Retarded

Champed
- Lyric Olympics
- Summer Classic

Witty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant futureWitty has a brilliant future

In 4 book club.

Witty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:03 PM   #137
uh-oh
DA GOD

Champed
- Beat Battle II
- Beat Battle V
- Beat Bags

In for book club
Old 09-07-2017, 01:00 PM   #138
trapezoidal

trapezoidal has a brilliant futuretrapezoidal has a brilliant futuretrapezoidal has a brilliant futuretrapezoidal has a brilliant futuretrapezoidal has a brilliant futuretrapezoidal has a brilliant futuretrapezoidal has a brilliant futuretrapezoidal has a brilliant futuretrapezoidal has a brilliant futuretrapezoidal has a brilliant futuretrapezoidal has a brilliant future

I'm down for a book club. I'm in the middle of these books right now,

Think On These Things by Krishnamurti
Hard Boiled Wonderland And The End Of The World by Haruki Murakami
A Night In The Cemetary (And Other Stories Of Crime And Suspense) by Anton Chekhov

All three are excellent so far. I'm a huge Murakami fan and have most of his books and this one is a little weird and not like his usual though.
trapezoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:38 PM   #139
Ghost1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapezoidal View Post
I'm down for a book club. I'm in the middle of these books right now,

Think On These Things by Krishnamurti
Hard Boiled Wonderland And The End Of The World by Haruki Murakami
A Night In The Cemetary (And Other Stories Of Crime And Suspense) by Anton Chekhov

All three are excellent so far. I'm a huge Murakami fan and have most of his books and this one is a little weird and not like his usual though.
man I loved that wonderland shit

was my first and only murakami book so far

not sure what to expect next now you saying that wasn't his usual style lol. was def weird asf.

some1 told me to grab the wind up bird chronicle
Old 09-07-2017, 01:38 PM   #140
PancakeBrah
SOBER

Battle Record: 2-5

Champed
- AOWL Season 2

PancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond reputePancakeBrah has a reputation beyond repute

Out on book club.
And the ditch in the back road stop
Could you find me?
PancakeBrah is offline   Reply With Quote